PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon and Stevenson

h1bs4life
03-01-2023, 12:09 PM
Both shouldn’t be at the club never mind the 1st team.
How many more disasters do they have to be in before they get moved on.
They have been part of god knows how many squads that have got umpteen managers sacked , we have even changed ownership and they are still here going from disaster to disaster.
Que the abuse as usual for anyone that dares mention both , both cup winning legends Stevenson double but away from that there has been disastrous cup defeats , relegations , 3 years in the lower leagues and yesterday another derby disaster to add to the list .
While not just there fault they have been part of some hopeless squads . Move on ASAP

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2023, 12:12 PM
Cracks me up that folk think individual players are the problem. It's ****ing Ron Gordon to blame for this mess. No one else.

Allant1981
03-01-2023, 12:17 PM
Cracks me up that folk think individual players are the problem. It's ****ing Ron Gordon to blame for this mess. No one else.

When do we start blaming the professionals on the park that make schoolboy errors

Viva_Palmeiras
03-01-2023, 12:18 PM
They have been part of god knows how many squads that have got umpteen managers sacked , we have even changed ownership and they are still here going from disaster to disaster.
Que the abuse as usual for anyone that dares mention both , both cup winning legends Stevenson double but away from that there has been disastrous cup defeats , relegations , 3 years in the lower leagues and yesterday another derby disaster to add to the list .
While not just there fault they have been part of some hopeless squads . Move on ASAP

there should be a shakes head smiley… where to begin with that…?

So they in particular were responsible for getting relegated, managers sacked, disastrous results, if that was the case and folks in that category need punted you’d have no one staying at Hibs for long even the good quality players? - ah no you said it then unsaid it - what’s it to be then?

MelbourneHibees
03-01-2023, 12:19 PM
I did wonder if those were the players LJ was referring to when he said "some might have been here too long".

Steven79
03-01-2023, 12:20 PM
When do we start blaming the professionals on the park that make schoolboy errorsI agree but it's not their fault that they are still first choice and still getting picked.

Would Stevenson be first choice for any other club in the league?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
I did wonder if those were the players LJ was referring to when he said "some might have been here too long".

Definitely. They should have both been replaced at least 2 seasons ago. I hope he was also talking about Joe Newell when he said that.

Northernhibee
I wonder if other clubs treat their respective club legends so disrespectfully.

The reason they both play is because we don’t have better options at the club.

Stevenson is notably better than Cabraja. Hanlon is notably better than Fish.

If you don’t think they should be in the team, blame the sommelier.

Baader
03-01-2023, 12:22 PM

100% They aren't picking themselves. Only serves to show how disastrous our recruitment has been.

Steve20
They’re not the main problems in the team. Especially Stevenson, who is still our best left back.

I find it disgraceful the way some fans treat cup winning players. If you think they need phased out, that’s one thing. But some of the disrespect they get on here and on social media is ridiculous.

Allant1981
I agree but it's not their fault that they are still first choice and still getting picked.

Would Stevenson be first choice for any other club in the league?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Of course it's not their fault but we can't blame anyone except the guys on the pitch for stupid errors that 9 year olds wouldn't make, the mistake by fish for example was basic, yes its not great off the park and RG has to take the blame for that but these guys are all pros and not wee laddies playing their first ever game

bigwheel
03-01-2023, 12:23 PM
100% They aren't picking themselves. Only serves to show how disastrous our recruitment has been.

Yep, I’m sure both would acknowledge that they expected to have stronger competition for places by now …

Pretty Boy
03-01-2023, 12:23 PM
Stevenson has seen off about 15 left backs in the time he has been here. Mitchell and Cabraja look like being the lastest two to add to the list. It's not his fault that we seem to have found it impossible to find a decent one in a 5 or 10 year period. Whether we like it or not Hanlon is still our best (only?) left sided CB.

I wouldn't disagree we need upgrades for both of them at this point. Good servants but their best days are behind them. There have been repeated failures to find those replacements though so they are what we have and will continue to play until that changes.

Hibee Daft
03-01-2023, 12:24 PM
Hanlon and Stevenson should be on the bench helping out when needed and bringing on other players.

Hanlon and Mcgregor helped Porteous

Stevenson helped Doig

I have no issue with them both Hibee icons been at the club for so long and won silverware.

Scotty Leither
03-01-2023, 12:26 PM
Stevenson is currently deemed better than the ultra ordinary Cabraja, another signing who’ll be on his bike soon enough and will be instantly forgotten.

Hanlon is done, that’s plain for anyone to see, but he plays because there’s nobody else, and of the two inexperienced centre halves we brought in, one is on loan and the other one lasted 45 minutes yesterday.

Ron Gordon needs to sit down IN PERSON with the fans and tell us what his “vision” for Hibernian football club is ON the park, because if I receive another email informing me about my forthcoming “hospitality experience” I think I’ll scream.

LewysGot2
03-01-2023, 12:28 PM
They’re not the main problems in the team. Especially Stevenson, who is still our best left back.

I find it disgraceful the way some fans treat cup winning players. If you think they need phased out, that’s one thing. But some of the disrespect they get on here and on social media is ridiculous.

This.

Seriously this :agree:

WestStandWillie
03-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Hanlon and Stevenson cannot play in same team. Keystone cops spring to mind.

When they play separately it’s night and day.

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2023, 12:30 PM
When do we start blaming the professionals on the park that make schoolboy errors

Eh, we're only blaming them. It's dumb. They're recruited by a failing system, picked by a failing manager, who was chosen by a failing CEO, who was hired by our failing owner. Hound Ron Gordon out.

LewysGot2
03-01-2023, 12:32 PM
Eh, we're only blaming them. It's dumb. They're recruited by a failing system, picked by a failing manager, who was chosen by a failing CEO, who was hired by our failing owner. Hound Ron Gordon out.

Have we got a buyer?

MrRobot
03-01-2023, 12:36 PM
Stevenson is still more than good enough to be at the club, but not as a regular starter. He seems happy to be more of a back up player and coach these days so i wouldn’t be punting him out the door. We need a nailed on first team starter in his position, which Cabraja was meant to be.

h1bs4life
03-01-2023, 12:46 PM
there should be a shakes head smiley… where to begin with that…?

So they in particular were responsible for getting relegated, managers sacked, disastrous results, if that was the case and folks in that category need punted you’d have no one staying at Hibs for long even the good quality players? - ah no you said it then unsaid it - what’s it to be then?

Did you actually read it , I said they were part of squads that have got several managers sacked and squads that have went from disaster to disaster.
Do you think it would be even worse if they weren’t here.

B.H.F.C
03-01-2023, 12:49 PM

No quite as straightforward to get rd of an owner as that though.

h1bs4life
03-01-2023, 12:54 PM

What’s disrespectful about saying players should have been moved on years ago.
Along with others they are both cup winning legends Stevenson double cup winning but that was 2016 it’s now 2023 , they have been involved in to many disasters to still be here.

loanheadhibby
03-01-2023, 12:56 PM

Completely agree. 100% correct.

Stevenson and Hanlon are rightly well regarded by our support but everyone can see their time is coming to an end. It should have happened previously but we are where we are.

I might think they are finished but I'll tell you this, not once has either of these guys shirked out of a performance. They are ready and available to play every week and very rarely cry off with an injury. 2 great ambassadors for our club as well.

I totally get that they are getting stick as professionals but what do we as supporters expect LS/PH to say? Sorry boss, not playing today as some fans think I am past it?

Too many of our other players conveniently miss games when going gets tough. Wheres big Myko and Lewis Miller? Or JDH for that matter? Big Myko missed yesterday cos he felt a twinge! Can you imagine either LS/PH missing a derby due to a twinge.

B.H.F.C
03-01-2023, 12:56 PM
Stevenson is still more than good enough to be at the club, but not as a regular starter. He seems happy to be more of a back up player and coach these days so i wouldn’t be punting him out the door. We need a nailed on first team starter in his position, which Cabraja was meant to be.

I don’t think he is good enough to be here now. I think whoever is in charge at the end of this season needs to be the one that is brave enough to say his time is up and that he won’t be part of the squad going forward.

Stokesy's on fire
03-01-2023, 12:57 PM
For me they belong at the club but not as starting players. We should be replacing Hanlon and Stevenson with better players that's for sure. But to suggest they don't belong at the club for me is harsh. They would be ideal backup players at this stage in their careers.

hibee_girl
03-01-2023, 12:58 PM

:agree:

We all know we need better than them both but at the minute they are the best we’ve got.

It’s not their fault the recruitment team have handled things so badly.

They absolutely do belong at the club just maybe not as first team starters anymore.

dp00
03-01-2023, 12:59 PM
When ever things are bad you can gaurentee folk blame Hanlon and Stevenson …

It’s not there fault they haven’t been replaced with better

Stevenson has said himself he would be a sub most of the season can only blame recruitment for the fact he is playing

Both more than good enough to be squad players but 100% should have been replaced with better as they got older , only the recruitment team to blame for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC1875
03-01-2023, 01:00 PM

Could’ve put money on you being the first to reply on a thread about your beloved Paul 😂

Shouldn’t be anywhere near the 1st team.

MWHIBBIES
03-01-2023, 01:02 PM
Could’ve put money on you being the first to reply on a thread about your beloved Paul 😂

Do I pick him?

You do realise you are giving me stick for supporting a Hibs player? Think about that for a sec.

sleeping giant
03-01-2023, 01:02 PM
Do I pick him?

You do realise you are giving me stick for supporting a Hibs player? Think about that for a sec.

Seems to be the new norm.

Newhaven
03-01-2023, 01:29 PM

As a tweet I read at the weekend stated the fact that Lewis and Paul have played over 1000 games for hibs says it all about our ambition.

bigwheel
03-01-2023, 01:33 PM
As a tweet I read at the weekend stated the fact that Lewis and Paul have played over 1000 games for hibs says it all about our ambition.

Wtf does that even mean …rather than focus on Hanlon and Lewis - what about targeting the 20
Plus players that have been signed and are not good enough to replace them ..that the real issue - not two good pro’s out there doing their best …

Cod Boy
03-01-2023, 01:35 PM
Wtf does that even mean …rather than focus on Hanlon and Lewis - what about targeting the 20
Plus players that have been signed and are not good enough to replace them ..that the real issue - not two good pro’s out there doing their best …

👏👏

MrRobot
03-01-2023, 01:36 PM
I don’t think he is good enough to be here now. I think whoever is in charge at the end of this season needs to be the one that is brave enough to say his time is up and that he won’t be part of the squad going forward.

Can’t agree with this. His experience in the game is invaluable to younger players coming up and he has mostly done well when called upon. The problem is him starting games consistently now when he should be a back up.

Coming on to manage the game when winning and shore up defence, when a player is injured/suspended and mentoring younger players should be his role, not a regular start which he has been the last few weeks.

Heisenberg
03-01-2023, 01:36 PM
Paul and Lewis have actually been part of a few very good Hibs teams. The same can’t be said for the rest of the squad. It’s a shame they are still having to be relied on in 2023 but it’s where we are having failed to recruit properly for years.

Northernhibee
03-01-2023, 01:37 PM
What does it say about our ambition?

Dashing Bob S
03-01-2023, 01:39 PM
We shouldn’t be rewriting history to cast H & S as the source of all our woes. They are absolutely anything but.

However, their time has long gone and it is now blind stupidity not to acknowledge this.

LewysGot2
03-01-2023, 01:47 PM
Interesting thought…if we discard Lewis, Paul (McGregor, too) - or they simply peter out the picture, thanks to our global football manager recruitment policy who are we left with who even understands what it is to play for our club? Tell you what, it won’t be “Wallop Chelsea McKirdy” or Jair or Bojang or…most of them.

We’re now the football equivalent of a franchise outlet. Sport in the USA relies on drafts and other recruiting practices that are quite different to building the character and DNA of a European football club. There’s not one player who gives more for the cause than Stevenson. Never hides. No point in going over the old quality arguments- if half our current squad had his commitment and attitude we’d not be in this mess.

That lot across the road know what makes a Them player. It’s a formula and an identity. Not one I’d relate to - industrial keech - but they know what they are looking for.

Brightside
03-01-2023, 01:52 PM

Shouldn't be at the club? :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

madhatter
03-01-2023, 01:54 PM
Interesting thought…if we discard Lewis, Paul (McGregor, too) - or they simply peter out the picture, thanks to our global football manager recruitment policy who are we left with who even understands what it is to play for our club? Tell you what, it won’t be “Wallop Chelsea McKirdy” or Jair or Bojang or…most of them.

We’re now the football equivalent of a franchise outlet. Sport in the USA relies on drafts and other recruiting practices that are quite different to building the character and DNA of a European football club. There’s not one player who gives more for the cause than Stevenson. Never hides. No point in going over the old quality arguments- if half our current squad had his commitment and attitude we’d not be in this mess.

That lot across the road know what makes a Them player. It’s a formula and an identity. Not one I’d relate to - industrial keech - but they know what they are looking for.

Stevenson's attitude hasn't rubbed off on the many squads that have come and gone whilst getting the numerous managers relieved of their duties.

This isn't a new phenomenon. Are people forgetting how we got relegated? We signed guff from Hamilton, St Johnstone and the likes. Wasn't McKirdy or Tavares but were equally poor. Were experienced pros though. We still got relegated though.

We keep going all in on 1 recruitment policy. That's our mistake. We sign Scottish based players, we end up signing garbage, we sign foreign players en masse, we sign garbage.

Injury issues and last hopes is our current method. We should be signing top 3 talents from other teams, not unknowns en masse. They should be fit without underlying fitness issues.

Northernhibee
03-01-2023, 01:55 PM

Much as we weren’t happy about Michael Stewart’s comments about our identity, he was absolutely spot on. There seems to be no actual strategy to our signings from the outside looking in.

Brightside
03-01-2023, 01:57 PM

Almost Nobody. Both are clearly at the end of their top level career but only Josh will be left that has anything Hibs about him. We've built a massive squad of travelling salesmen. Michael Stewart is totally right when he says we have no identity.

CapitalGreen
03-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Almost Nobody. Both are clearly at the end of their top level career but only Josh will be left that has anything Hibs about him. We've built a massive squad of travelling salesmen. Michael Stewart is totally right when he says we have no identity.

Hearts beat us with a starting XI that contained no Hearts fans or youth team graduates. The issue is a lack of quality not whether the players have anything Hibs about them. Our team that got relegated in 2014 was stacked full of players that were Hibs fans and/or academy graduates, we improved once the majority of these were replaced with better quality players.

B.H.F.C
03-01-2023, 02:48 PM
Can’t agree with this. His experience in the game is invaluable to younger players coming up and he has mostly done well when called upon. The problem is him starting games consistently now when he should be a back up.

Coming on to manage the game when winning and shore up defence, when a player is injured/suspended and mentoring younger players should be his role, not a regular start which he has been the last few weeks.

I think he’s either good enough to play or not. And in his performances, I don’t see a player who is good enough any more. I thought he was one of the poorest on the park for us yesterday.

Smartie
03-01-2023, 03:31 PM
I didn’t actually think that either of them were that bad yesterday, apart from minging contributions to a terrible goal conceded long after the game had been lost.

In a parallel universe, if the parts of the team that badly need improved ARE improved, that becomes a consolation goal, a bit like the one we gave away at Hampden against Rangers when Porto sclaffed a clearance and nobody cared.

MrRobot
03-01-2023, 03:32 PM
I think he’s either good enough to play or not. And in his performances, I don’t see a player who is good enough any more. I thought he was one of the poorest on the park for us yesterday.

he’s absolutely good enough to play, but given his age i would say not every week.

B.H.F.C
03-01-2023, 03:40 PM
he’s absolutely good enough to play, but given his age i would say not every week.

He’s still one of the fittest there though so if he’s deemed good enough to play the ‘not every week’ thing shouldn’t really come in to it for me. You get exactly the same from him every time he plays but, for me, that’s a contributing factor to why we’re poor. I actually feel a bit sorry for him because I don’t think we should still be relying on him and it’s not his fault we are. I just don’t see anything in his play that suggests he’s good enough now. Certainly not for anything other than what we currently are as a team.

Argylehibby
03-01-2023, 03:43 PM

100% spot on. Blaming individual players for being there too long is a ridiculous argument. If the various managers they have worked under haven’t managed to get better players in or deem the youths coming through are not better then the fault is theirs not the players.
Managers clearly see bigger problems elsewhere in the team and if LJ has now decided he’s bringing replacements in then he better do better than recent attempts to find improvements and until he does the guys should be supported and any grief aimed at the recruitment team and management.

WeeRussell
03-01-2023, 03:45 PM

Here was me thinking I was quite normal to read that and think it says it all about their commitment and quality service to our club over the years.

CMac1988
03-01-2023, 03:58 PM
Here was me thinking I was quite normal to read that and think it says it all about their commitment and quality service to our club over the years.

Doesn't have to be an either/or. Both can be true. They're getting thrown to the wolves because we can't find players who are better in their respective positions. As they both get older phasing them out and having them work with the squad is the best course of action. That can't happen when we sign players like Cabraja and Fish. One has had a tough time and whilst he ain't bad going forward he's nowhere near good enough defensively. The other failed to usher a ball out for a goal kick yesterday... Not because he was outplayed or outsmarted. Simply because he switched off thinking job done. As frustrating as it is our ire shouldn't be directed at the players. It should land squarely at our management, board and owner.

DH1875
03-01-2023, 04:19 PM
I genuinely thought Lewis was one of our better players yesterday. He is more than good enough to still have a place in our squad yet alone our starting 11.
Unfortunately I would tend to agree that Paul time at the club has come to an end unless he goes into coaching or something.

Smartie
03-01-2023, 04:46 PM
I genuinely thought Lewis was one of our better players yesterday. He is more than good enough to still have a place in our squad yet alone our starting 11.
Unfortunately I would tend to agree that Paul time at the club has come to an end unless he goes into coaching or something.

Paul Hanlon has had an atrocious month which can’t easily be defended.

Is it terminal decline or is it just dreadful form in a struggling side? I’d tend to give a player who has served us so well for so long the benefit of the doubt and suggest the latter but I understand the temptation for some to suspect the former.

Whilst he’s getting on in years, he’s not exactly ancient.

Brooster
03-01-2023, 05:14 PM
We simply cannot have these 2 in our starting line up if we want to do better.

Colr
03-01-2023, 05:47 PM
Stevenson combined well with Youan at the Livi game.

McGeady and Cadden also worked OK yesterday.

I would keep Lewis but we definitely need to be looking at the succession.

Rob
03-01-2023, 06:52 PM
Stevenson has seen off about 15 left backs in the time he has been here. Mitchell and Cabraja look like being the lastest two to add to the list. It's not his fault that we seem to have found it impossible to find a decent one in a 5 or 10 year period. Whether we like it or not Hanlon is still our best (only?) left sided CB.

I wouldn't disagree we need upgrades for both of them at this point. Good servants but their best days are behind them. There have been repeated failures to find those replacements though so they are what we have and will continue to play until that changes.

That's a pretty fair assessment PB. You can't blame the players for still being first choice picks, that comes down to a failure in our recruitment. For all the players we've signed in the last 2 or 3 windows alone, it says a lot about our recruitment when we're still relying on players like Lewis and Paul, who have been good servants to the club, but as you say, whose best days are behind them.