PDA

View Full Version : How much do we have to spend in Jan?

Greenio
29-12-2022, 11:18 AM
Wondering what our transfer budget will look like this Jan

Been plenty talk about letting players go, but not a whole lot about what the Manager's spending power will be to being new players in. Given it's Jan it's going to be a payroll question rather no? So, do we as a club have the resources to open the purse strings up or are we operating at max currently?

One thing I've always wondered is how much Boyle resigning cost us from what we we originally had for for him? Has that been released yet?

Winston Ingram
29-12-2022, 11:23 AM
If Ian Gordon is choosing who to buy, it won’t matter a jot as they’ll all be pish

Smartie
29-12-2022, 11:28 AM

Been plenty talk about letting players go, but not a whole lot about what the Manager's spending power will be to being new players in. Given it's Jan it's going to be a payroll question rather no? So, do we as a club have the resources to open the purse strings up or are we operating at max currently?

One thing I've always wondered is how much Boyle resigning cost us from what we we originally had for for him? Has that been released yet?

My hunch (with little foundation) is that our last 2 summers have been characterised by being thrown slightly by circumstance and our inability to adapt and change course quickly enough.

This summer - the opportunity to resign Boyle emerged. It wasn’t something we could easily turn down but it took a huge bite out of a budget that was still required for signing more than one ageing winger. We froze a bit after signing Boyle and didn’t do much more until right at the end of the window.

The previous summer (a properly minging transfer window, up there with the very worst of them) was influenced by the non-exits of Porteous, Nisbet and Doig. Had we shifted any of them we’d have moved on better targets earlier. As they stayed, we ended up with a smaller budget, little time to find decent targets and a few of our better players a bit distracted and apparently disillusioned as they’d rather be elsewhere. The results were a fairly disastrous.

In terms of January - I think we need to be signing small numbers of quality players. Mad as it sounds, I don’t think our injury free 1st XI is that bad, in fact I think it’s probably quite good. Injuries have clobbered us.

Although I think signing 2-3 good players each window, keeping a path to the 1st team for our own youth players and none of this “signing 26 players and sacking a manager every 6 months” which seems to be the Gordon way would have been my way to build on finishing 3rd with an imperfect squad.

Groathillgrump
29-12-2022, 11:31 AM

Whatever it is it'll never be enough to replace some of the absolute dross we have in the first team squad at the moment.

Brightside
29-12-2022, 11:35 AM
I don’t think we will actually buy any players. A few loans prob.

easty
29-12-2022, 11:35 AM
I don’t think we’ll spend much, if anything, on fees.

Loan deals or someone free/very cheap.

Do we have the budget to do anything else? Probably not.

It was back in the summer that we should’ve been budgeting better. Get key players in to help us push for third place, and the money that comes with European group stage football. Instead we signed a load of fingers crossed they’ll work players, and young guys.

Marshall was a great signing though, a position we needed to fill, filled correctly.

EGL2000
29-12-2022, 11:37 AM
Hopefully doig goes and we get a decent bit from the sell on fee, could be huge.

Pretty Boy
29-12-2022, 11:40 AM
I don't think we have to spend a lot of money, we need 2 or 3 smart signings. The league is such a sludge of mediocrity between 3rd and 11th that a couple of decent signings could be genuinely transformative. It's why I don't buy this 'we need 3 or 4 more windows to sort this' chat. It's unrealistic and just not true imo.

A new RB, new LCB and new CM that are better than what we have would improve us hugely and put any relegation fears to bed and have us looking upwards.

I'd argue the signings we have thrown money at in the last couple of years have been the biggest disappointments (I'm think Melkerson, Mueller and McKirdy). Shopping smart will serve us better than just throwing money at the problem. We've wasted too much already on a bloated squad with too many of questionable quality.

Greenio
29-12-2022, 11:56 AM
My hunch (with little foundation) is that our last 2 summers have been characterised by being thrown slightly by circumstance and our inability to adapt and change course quickly enough.

This summer - the opportunity to resign Boyle emerged. It wasn’t something we could easily turn down but it took a huge bite out of a budget that was still required for signing more than one ageing winger. We froze a bit after signing Boyle and didn’t do much more until right at the end of the window.

The previous summer (a properly minging transfer window, up there with the very worst of them) was influenced by the non-exits of Porteous, Nisbet and Doig. Had we shifted any of them we’d have moved on better targets earlier. As they stayed, we ended up with a smaller budget, little time to find decent targets and a few of our better players a bit distracted and apparently disillusioned as they’d rather be elsewhere. The results were a fairly disastrous.

In terms of January - I think we need to be signing small numbers of quality players. Mad as it sounds, I don’t think our injury free 1st XI is that bad, in fact I think it’s probably quite good. Injuries have clobbered us.

Although I think signing 2-3 good players each window, keeping a path to the 1st team for our own youth players and none of this “signing 26 players and sacking a manager every 6 months” which seems to be the Gordon way would have been my way to build on finishing 3rd with an imperfect squad.

Good post.

I have a bad feeling our books are looking screwed.

Lots of outgoingns, very minimal incoming in terms of players anyway.

No idea what % of our revenue comes from buying/selling players vs the other big income streams, which would surely be STs and sponsorships.

We've certainly been active in bringing commercial opps to the club but how much does that trickle into team budget?

Injuries have been dire indeed.

Do the finances get released at some point aye?

NAE NOOKIE
29-12-2022, 11:59 AM
After last night around £30,000,000

LunasBoots
29-12-2022, 12:14 PM
January's a tough window to get what we need, a few loans probaly