PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Celtic 28 12 22)

Jonnyboy
28-12-2022, 10:17 PM
Having won 4-0 last time out, it was no surprise that Lee Johnson named an unchanged starting eleven to face league leaders Celtic at Easter Road and for the first 15 minutes or so I was excited to see us playing on the front foot and more than holding our own but that was pretty much it for Hibs as the visitors highlighted a huge gulf in class and could easily have won by a bigger margin. There was just no living with their midfield and the constant movement of their front men whilst their defenders weathered our early storm and denied us any real opportunities for the remainder of the game. Basic errors cost us dear, and they were the kind of errors that have been only too obvious for a while now.

As I said, we started well enough, winning a couple of early corners and having a Cadden goal disallowed for offside. Soon after that, Maeda missed a glorious chance when he stooped to header a crossed ball wide of the target when going with his foot made more sense. Mooy was having a great effect in the Celtic midfield and should have done better than scooping a shot high and wide from a good position before, on the fifteen minute mark, Youan wriggled free but witnessed his shot at goal, though on target, being blocked by Starfelt. A few minutes later, Josh Campbell came close, but the ball flew wide of the mark.

Celtic began to dominate, and Maeda again had a chance which was thwarted before he then supplied a cross to Kyogo, but the Japanese striker couldn’t beat Marshall with his attempt. Just three minutes later, the visitors took the lead when Cadden failed to cut out a cross low into the box. The ball struck Newell on the thigh and fell kindly to Mooy who blasted it past Marshall from around ten yards.

Celtic were piling on the pressure, looking for a second with Hibs offering next to nothing going forward where Youan and Nisbet were starved of meaningful possession and with ten minutes to go until the interval, Celtic struck again. Cadden slipped allowing Maeda to run free and with Cadden out of the picture, both Porteous and Magennis inexplicably chose to cover the overlapping run provided by Taylor. Their rush to cover a possible pass opened up a huge gap for Maeda to run into and strike a sublime volley beyond Marshall and into the net. It was poor defending, that’s for sure.

Three minutes before the break, a long throw from Newell reached Hanlon in a crowded penalty area and the Hibs man poked his foot at the ball only to see it strike the base of the post with Hart stranded. Somehow, Hibs managed to survive until half time without conceding again although Celtic were cutting through the defence at will.

A weak effort from Abada didn’t trouble Marshall before Hibs made their way forward and a superb Newell cross picked up an unmarked Nisbet in the six yard box, but the Hibs striker headed well wide of the target with the goal at his mercy. A few minutes later, Cadden was beaten by a fabulous Mooy ball in behind him resulting in a cross that flew across the goal and was deflected up onto the outstretched arm of Lewis Stevenson. A penalty all day long and this time, Marshall went the wrong way with Mooy getting his second goal of the game. Just three minutes later, it was 4-0 when Hatate found Kyogo and this time the striker scored. It was appalling defending with Paul Hanlon guilty of ball watching and completely losing the man he had been marking. It was no surprise then that moments later, Hanlon was subbed off and replaced by Nohan Kenneh with Porteous dropping in to the back four and the new man in to midfield. At the same time, Nisbet was replaced by Harry McKirdy and Magennis by McGeady.

When Josh Campbell took a sore one in a late challenge by Giakoumakis I thought we might see the first yellow of the game, but the ref settled for a stern word or two to the Celtic substitute. Not content with four, Celtic went looking for more and Hatate should have done better from good position but skied his shot over the bar. A Joe Newell effort offered some hope but his right footed shot sailed harmlessly into the arms of Joe Hart. With ten minutes left I was quite frankly stunned to see Josh Campbell replaced by Henderson. Campbell had been one of only a few who was giving his all whilst Henderson would have been as well just staying on the bench. Just after that change, Marshall made a fine save, diving low to his left to stop O’Riley scoring from close range. Youan, who was another giving everything, was unlucky to see a decent effort blocked but that chance was coming amongst a flurry of half chances for Celtic. Jota had come off the bench to replace Maeda and saw his angled shot fly past the far post before Bushiri did exceptionally well to deflect a cross out for a corner as Jota waited to make contact for a shot.

I’ll be honest, I was relieved when the final whistle went as things could only have gotten worse had the game lasted longer than it did. Only three players can be singled out for any sort of praise whilst the others just failed to turn up or to do their jobs properly. I’ve not nominated a man of the match but the three who deserve a mention are Youan, Campbell and Bushiri.

The players

Marshall – Had no real chance with any of the goals but flapped at a couple of crosses that could have cost us dear.

Cadden – Had an absolute nightmare and was run ragged by Maeda but to be fair he was often left on his own with no assistance from a midfield player.

Bushiri – We lost four goals but it could have been more had Bushiri not been alert to danger on a few occasions.

Hanlon – Losing his man for the fourth goal was schoolboy defending.

Stevenson – Did better that our right back and was unlucky at the penalty.

Porteous – Despite hitting a couple of quite wonderful cross field passes, Ryan was often found guilty of being in the wrong place at the wrong time in his midfield role.

Newell – Was involved a fair amount without actually doing anything noticeably outstanding.

Magennis – Poor for the most part he really should have been offering more protection to Cadden.

Campbell – Gave his all as ever and unless he was injured should never have been replaced by Henderson.

Youan – Not so high profile as against Livingston but still managed to create a few problems for Celtic and defended back when needed.

Nisbet – Got no service other than for the header he missed.

McKirdy – Ran about a lot.

Kenneh – Struggled against a top quality midfield.

McGeady – Hardly touched the ball.

Henderson – Words fail me.

Lee Johnson – I guess he had worked out his plan but it didn’t work, thanks mainly to the majority of his players struggling against a top side.

Referee – Alan Muir had an easy night of it and didn’t have to issue a single yellow card.

Hiber-nation
28-12-2022, 10:25 PM
JC - Josh was absolutely knackered after doing the running of 3 men and was holding his groin. He had to go off. We need him for Monday!

Agree about Hendo, utterly hopeless.

Unseen work
28-12-2022, 10:57 PM
Rocky, Campbell and Youan the positives for me

Thought Nisbet was terrible. Never held the ball up once and missed a sitter

Defending by Cadden throughout and Hanlon for the fourth was amateur.

davym7062
28-12-2022, 10:58 PM
JC - Josh was absolutely knackered after doing the running of 3 men and was holding his groin. He had to go off. We need him for Monday!

Agree about Hendo, utterly hopeless.

yep dead rite, hearts are no celtic and cambpell was brought off with that in mind.

LewysGot2
28-12-2022, 11:00 PM
I stayed to the end but didn't hear a MotM announcement. Possibly because they read the room for once...

NAE NOOKIE
28-12-2022, 11:26 PM
Apart from a 10 to 15 minute spell at the start we were totally and utterly outclassed ... I don't find it hard to imagine Celtic having a tougher time playing through a pile of training cones strewn around the pitch at their training centre.

Its one thing the opposition having better quality players, it's quite another just standing around for 70 odd minutes and simply allowing them time and space to play any pass they fancied whenever they fancied it in any area of the pitch they fancied to do it, no bloody wonder they looked so good up against that tonight.

I agree with the OP that Youan, Rocky and Campbell can at least look back and say they tried ..... the rest were nothing short of a shambles, in fact the whole team as a unit was a shambles. The least, the very least, you should do is make the game tough physically for a better team and yet we never laid a glove on them, FFS we didn't even pick up a booking and you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times a Celtic player was hurried into a pass, either at the back, in midfield or in the final third.

Marshall ..... One very good save, what apart from that is the guy supposed to do when his team mates allow Celtic to have a shooty in training session for near on a whole game.

Cadden .... He is NOT a defender !!!

Rocky .... As the OP alluded to, probably mostly down to him it wasn't 8 - 0

Hanlon .... His night was summed up perfectly when the ball came down to him in acres of space and instead of controlling it and looking for a pass he simply headed it back up the park to a group of Celtic players, a poor performance.

Stevenson ... Overwhelmed by 70 odd minutes of constant defending.

Porteous .... Out of his depth in midfield against better players.

Newell .... Cant recall him doing anything positive.

Magennis .... Contributed next to nothing and did little to protect a wing back he must know can't defend for toffee.

Campbell ... At least he tried to compete, he should be the guy doing the dirty work who doesn't get noticed, not the bloody standout.

Youan .... In a practically non existent attacking performance by us the only decent stuff we did manage came from him.

Nisbet ... The one decent chance we did create for him he made an utter pigs ear of ... that aside absolutely starved of anything like service.

The subs ..... A master stroke by LJ to bring them all on when we were 0 - 4 down, how it didn't utterly transform the game is beyond me, as it is not a single one of them made a jot of a difference.

The Manager. This was a carbon copy of the game at Ibrox except instead of an utterly inept display after a good first 45 minutes, it was an utterly inept display after a good first 10 to 15 minutes. Just as at Ibrox this wasn't simply a case of being outplayed by a far superior team, this was a case of allowing a team with decent players all the time and space they wanted to control the game with not a single personnel or tactical change made to try and stop it happening until it was far far too late.

I'm seriously forming the opinion that this is a manager who has absolutely no faith in the players at his disposal's ability to compete with anything other than the likes of Kilmarnock and Ross County and that lack of faith has become evident to his players who now have no desire whatsoever to scrap and fight for him on the pitch ........ he expects us to lose games like this and that lack of faith and low expectation is seeping through the whole club.

There aren't words to adequately describe how totally unacceptable that 75 minutes was from Hibs tonight.

zitelli62
29-12-2022, 12:11 AM
I actually think the manager has chucked it with his subs tonight either that or he trying to prove a point to those upstairs but I think this is worse than he thought and he's working his ticket to get out.

JohnM1875
29-12-2022, 12:29 AM
Cadden. What the **** has happened there? Gone from player of the season to arguably the weakest link

B.H.F.C
29-12-2022, 01:03 AM
I actually think the manager has chucked it with his subs tonight either that or he trying to prove a point to those upstairs but I think this is worse than he thought and he's working his ticket to get out.

Big questions about him tonight for me. He changed absolutely nothing until we were 4-0 down. Be it tactical, players or anything. He just stood and watched and I thought he was totally lost. Not too dissimilar to Ibrox when it was clear that the tide had turned. Instead of trying to tweak anything to help he stood watching until it was too late. Total contrast to earlier in the season when he made subs after about 20 minutes against Rangers.

Multiple comments from him in the last few weeks which concern me.

Wull
29-12-2022, 08:44 AM
I feel the reason for the late subs was he has no faith that any of them could have improved on what was on the park. When we went 4down he thought stuff it on you go and give it your best, made no difference but the guys got a wee run around.

coldingham hibs
29-12-2022, 08:48 AM
Cadden. What the **** has happened there? Gone from player of the season to arguably the weakest link

Cadden is not a right back and is totally wasted in that position, add to that his inability to defend exasperates the issue particularly against a decent wide player.

GreenCastle
29-12-2022, 09:32 AM

Player of season at right midfield not right back where he can’t do the basics of 1v1 defending as he doesn’t get low enough or move his feet quick enough.

JimBHibees
29-12-2022, 09:40 AM
Player of season at right midfield not right back where he can’t do the basics of 1v1 defending as he doesn’t get low enough or move his feet quick enough.

Spot on he is very poor one on one especially when the winger goes inside

Smartie
29-12-2022, 10:16 AM
I stayed to the end but didn't hear a MotM announcement. Possibly because they read the room for once...

I thought we did have some relative successes, who I don’t think the fans would have really begrudged a motm award.

If the sponsors had decided they’d wanted to meet Cadden, Newell or Nisbet (who I thought were our poorest players on the night) then I agree that it would probably be best to keep quiet.

Rocky was the best for me, but Stevenson, Campbell and Youan would probably all have received pass marks.

It wasn’t like the Ross County game where everyone was awful against a poor side.

Smartie
29-12-2022, 10:20 AM
Cadden is not a right back and is totally wasted in that position, add to that his inability to defend exasperates the issue particularly against a decent wide player.

I’m not sure who you play in his place though.

Personally I think he’s a great option for us to have, offers loads in an attacking sense. The defensive side of his game isn’t as strong and it’s been exposed a bit over the past week against Rangers and Celtic.

It’ll be interesting to see how he gets on against Hearts, a team who should be more similar in standard to ourselves but who have some decent players on that side.

theonlywayisup
29-12-2022, 10:23 AM
Yes, some baffling decisions.

We couldn't understand why LJ waited until the 65th minute when 4-0 down before making the changes. He needed to make changes at half-time when 2-0 down.

Cadden is not a right-back. It may work against the lesser teams but not against the top teams. Let's hope he's not played there in the Derby.

Had left long before Henderson's arrival but "words fail me" tells me all I need to know about his time at Hibs. Why did we give him such a long contract?

Crab apple
29-12-2022, 10:37 AM

We couldn't understand why LJ waited until the 65th minute when 4-0 down before making the changes. He needed to make changes at half-time when 2-0 down.

Cadden is not a right-back. It may work against the lesser teams but not against the top teams. Let's hope he's not played there in the Derby.

Had left long before Henderson's arrival but "words fail me" tells me all I need to know about his time at Hibs. Why did we give him such a long contract?

Henderson offers nothing. No pace and ponderous on the ball. Who gave him the long contract?

Cat Stanton
29-12-2022, 12:57 PM
Apart from a 10 to 15 minute spell at the start we were totally and utterly outclassed ... I don't find it hard to imagine Celtic having a tougher time playing through a pile of training cones strewn around the pitch at their training centre.

Its one thing the opposition having better quality players, it's quite another just standing around for 70 odd minutes and simply allowing them time and space to play any pass they fancied whenever they fancied it in any area of the pitch they fancied to do it, no bloody wonder they looked so good up against that tonight.

I agree with the OP that Youan, Rocky and Campbell can at least look back and say they tried ..... the rest were nothing short of a shambles, in fact the whole team as a unit was a shambles. The least, the very least, you should do is make the game tough physically for a better team and yet we never laid a glove on them, FFS we didn't even pick up a booking and you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times a Celtic player was hurried into a pass, either at the back, in midfield or in the final third.

Marshall ..... One very good save, what apart from that is the guy supposed to do when his team mates allow Celtic to have a shooty in training session for near on a whole game.

Hanlon .... His night was summed up perfectly when the ball came down to him in acres of space and instead of controlling it and looking for a pass he simply headed it back up the park to a group of Celtic players, a poor performance.

Magennis .... Contributed next to nothing and did little to protect a wing back he must know can't defend for toffee.

Campbell ... At least he tried to compete, he should be the guy doing the dirty work who doesn't get noticed, not the bloody standout.

Youan .... In a practically non existent attacking performance by us the only decent stuff we did manage came from him.

Nisbet ... The one decent chance we did create for him he made an utter pigs ear of ... that aside absolutely starved of anything like service.

The subs ..... A master stroke by LJ to bring them all on when we were 0 - 4 down, how it didn't utterly transform the game is beyond me, as it is not a single one of them made a jot of a difference.

The Manager. This was a carbon copy of the game at Ibrox except instead of an utterly inept display after a good first 45 minutes, it was an utterly inept display after a good first 10 to 15 minutes. Just as at Ibrox this wasn't simply a case of being outplayed by a far superior team, this was a case of allowing a team with decent players all the time and space they wanted to control the game with not a single personnel or tactical change made to try and stop it happening until it was far far too late.

I'm seriously forming the opinion that this is a manager who has absolutely no faith in the players at his disposal's ability to compete with anything other than the likes of Kilmarnock and Ross County and that lack of faith has become evident to his players who now have no desire whatsoever to scrap and fight for him on the pitch ........ he expects us to lose games like this and that lack of faith and low expectation is seeping through the whole club.

There aren't words to adequately describe how totally unacceptable that 75 minutes was from Hibs tonight.

Well said. One of the most dispiriting non-performances I've seen, arguably in decades. God knows I've seen some dross in my time, but usually dross was at least accompanied by players trying hard. There was none of that last night that I could see (and don't anyone tell me about the first ten minutes as I was stuck in a queue for the world's slowest turnstile, so missed our alleged purple patch).

LewysGot2
29-12-2022, 02:33 PM
Henderson offers nothing. No pace and ponderous on the ball. Who gave him the long contract?

Maloney?

BILLYHIBS
29-12-2022, 03:33 PM

:top marks

Stubbsy90+2
29-12-2022, 03:40 PM

If Cadden isn’t a right back then he’s certainly not a right mid/winger at our level.

He’s ok going forward for a full back. He’s nowhere near good enough going forward for a more advanced role imo.

Scorrie
29-12-2022, 04:40 PM
Big questions about him tonight for me. He changed absolutely nothing until we were 4-0 down. Be it tactical, players or anything. He just stood and watched and I thought he was totally lost. Not too dissimilar to Ibrox when it was clear that the tide had turned. Instead of trying to tweak anything to help he stood watching until it was too late. Total contrast to earlier in the season when he made subs after about 20 minutes against Rangers.

Multiple comments from him in the last few weeks which concern me.

I agree. Johnson looks out of his depth and pretty clueless. Making a triple substitution at 0-4 is almost taking the piss.

JimBHibees
29-12-2022, 06:45 PM
I agree. Johnson looks out of his depth and pretty clueless. Making a triple substitution at 0-4 is almost taking the piss.

Why? Game was gone give a few players a run out

Don't think he is out of his depth however not getting much out of some players probably the same clique who have gotten two managers the sack previously