PDA

View Full Version : The Derby

chrisski33
28-12-2022, 09:50 PM
Absolutely huge game coming up but sadly I dont think our current team and manager are capable of winning it. Only faith i have in the club is with the fans.

Frazerbob
28-12-2022, 09:51 PM
Great thread

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 09:52 PM
Tonight was dreadful, but it's a bit early for the blood letting no?

Mcbizz1998
28-12-2022, 09:52 PM
Don’t see any reason we can’t win it. Not much between us and them, a pumping off Celtic doesn’t change that.

JimBHibees
28-12-2022, 09:53 PM
Great thread

:greengrin

Glory Lurker
28-12-2022, 09:53 PM
Fear not, we're winning both of them. I predicted the same at the start of April, but I really mean it this time!

If we didn't have optimism would we still be Hibbies? 😄

He's here!
28-12-2022, 10:01 PM
Don’t see any reason we can’t win it. Not much between us and them, a pumping off Celtic doesn’t change that.

We'll find out that there's a fair bit between us I'm afraid. Hearts will win comfortably. They have a far stronger squad and will again finish third by a distance. That's not defeatist or disloyal, it's just how it is at present. The games coming up which we really need to take something from are those against the teams below us.

loanheadhibby
28-12-2022, 10:10 PM

We don't have the players to beat them at Tynecastle although obviously I hope I'm wrong.
They have a much better squad than ours.
How many of our players would get in their 1st X1.
Marshall, Porteous, Nisbet possibly and Boyle. I'm not convinced they would want anyone else including Magennis.

HH81
30-12-2022, 06:45 PM
12.99 PPV if anyone wants to buy it.

Not on sky.

DIXIHIBS
30-12-2022, 07:24 PM
All derbies are important but i think this one is especially so. The outlook at both clubs couldnt be any different. Hertz seem full of optimism. Happy with the squad, management, money, crowds up etc. Hibs are complete opposite. Doom and gloom abounds. Only one way to change that...beat them. Nothing hits them like a derby defeat. Questions would be raised again about Neilson and we could be right behind them in the league. All of a sudden the dynamics change. Defeat for hibs however would boost them further and be another kick in baws for us. The pressure on Johnson would be cranked up even further. The fans will do their bit at tynie as they always do so its now up to the players. Prove you deserve to play for the hibees and win this game.

Ozyhibby
30-12-2022, 07:33 PM
I think we have a punchers chance and no more. We are miles behind them just now.
To be 5 points adrift of them having played a game more at a time when they have had a heavy European schedule is a disgrace.
Unless we pull of a mini miracle on Monday then the calls for Johnson to go will be at such a level that I expect the club will act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up-the-slope
30-12-2022, 07:49 PM
Looking forward to Derby... seen enough in the last almost 40 years of watching to know that form / league position / squad quality etc is no certain predictor of these. |It about confidence / belief / workrate & a bit of things falling your way on the day.... there is nothing between teams in squad quality so the other stuff comes more into play... lets go there and play as if it was a cup semi-final and scrap for every ball (something they have been better at over the years when they have had poorer quality) and see how it plays out.... a new Hero born... Ellie Yohan double against a Shankland penalty :greengrin :party:

Onion
30-12-2022, 07:51 PM
I think we have a punchers chance and no more. We are miles behind them just now.
To be 5 points adrift of them having played a game more at a time when they have had a heavy European schedule is a disgrace.
Unless we pull of a mini miracle on Monday then the calls for Johnson to go will be at such a level that I expect the club will act.

A lot of Hibs better results against Hearts have come when least expected. Not saying this Hibs team are able or likely to pull off win, but to take the last few weeks as a proxy for what will happen is flawed. Would not be surprised if Hibs make an unexpected fist if it.

marinello59
30-12-2022, 08:05 PM

I don’t think we are miles behind them. Play like we did against Livi and we have a decent chance of taking something from the game. Play like we did in the first half at Ibrox and we will win.
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

FitbaFolkKen
30-12-2022, 08:10 PM
I’m well excited, haven’t been to Tynecastle for a derby for years. Boyle 2-0 was my last.

Pints and lunch before, go to Tynecastle full of optimism and then either drown my sorrows or celebrate well into the evening!

As long as we give them a game and aren’t passive then that’ll do for me.

No point being negative about it, prepare for the worst hope for the best.

GGTTH

B.H.F.C
30-12-2022, 08:14 PM
I don’t think we are miles behind them. Play like we did against Livi and we have a decent chance of taking something from the game. Play like we did in the first half at Ibrox and we will win.
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

I agree. I don’t think we’re a good side, but they’re not brilliant either. We are horrific defensively but they have conceded the same number of goals in the league. We need to go at them, it’s the only way we get a result because we won’t shut them out.

GreenCastle
30-12-2022, 08:24 PM
Don’t have any confidence in Hibs getting a win. Would probably be surprised if we got a draw too.

Feels Hibs have to win this more than Hearts though as a draw will suit them more with the league. Doesn’t mean Hearts won’t want to win and make the gap 8 points / possibly 11 points if they win thier game in hand.

We haven’t beaten Hearts since 2019 - they are unbeaten against us in last 7 derbies.

Shankland has 4 goals in last 3 games.

Our top scorer Campbell has 4 goals this season (Boyle and Porto are missing).

Oddly the last few derbies have had more football played than the usual hoofball. Speaking to a Hearts fan they have been playing out from the back a lot and have looked weak at high balls / crosses - so hopefully Myko can make it for his physical presence.

I don’t follow this Hearts are crap chat as while they got destroyed in Europe they have a solid enough team for the domestic league with experience and 2 players who were just at World Cup. This hibs team struggle to play for 90 minutes let alone 45 mins at times so hopefully they prove me wrong and win.

chrisski33
31-12-2022, 11:05 AM
Don’t have any confidence in Hibs getting a win. Would probably be surprised if we got a draw too.

Feels Hibs have to win this more than Hearts though as a draw will suit them more with the league. Doesn’t mean Hearts won’t win to win and make the gap 8 points / possibly 11 points if they win thier game in hand.

We haven’t beaten Hearts since 2019 - they are unbeaten against us in last 7 derbies.

Shankland has 4 goals in last 3 games.

Our top scorer Campbell has 4 goals this season (Boyle and Porto are missing).

Oddly the last few derbies have had more football played than the usual hoofball. Speaking to a Hearts fan they have been playing out from the back a lot and have looked weak at high balls / crosses - so hopefully Myko can make it for his physical presence.

I don’t follow this Hearts are crap chat as while they got destroyed in Europe they have a solid enough team for the domestic league with experience and 2 players who were just at World Cup. This hibs team struggle to play for 90 minutes let alone 45 mins at times so hopefully they prove me wrong and win.
I definitely dont follow this "Hearts are crap" chat. Their recent results show they are now focused on the league and seem to get job done over 90mins, Hibs on the other hand dont and cant say im confident but you never know!

Smartie
31-12-2022, 11:10 AM
I’m not convinced our first XI is far behind them, if it is at all.

Start to take a few players out though and it starts to look very different.

We’re miles behind Celtic - as was shown - but so are Hearts.

I do worry a bit about what happens with this lot if we lose a goal or two but I wouldn’t put it past us to hold out for a full 90 or to take a lead and then defend it as they get increasingly frustrated.

They’re really not that great, especially as they’re looking like they’re going to be without some big players.

Carheenlea
31-12-2022, 12:09 PM
Two teams who have during the season looked very good, rank average and horrifically bad.

Not an easy game for anyone to make a prediction with any real confidence.

blackpoolhibs
31-12-2022, 12:13 PM
I’m well excited, haven’t been to Tynecastle for a derby for years. Boyle 2-0 was my last.

Pints and lunch before, go to Tynecastle full of optimism and then either drown my sorrows or celebrate well into the evening!

GGTTH

Not for me, there are certain games we cant lose, this is one of them. A win with an Aberdeen type display against Celtic, and i'd be over the moon.

A loss is still a loss, however we play.

Diclonius
31-12-2022, 12:18 PM
Would take a draw right now.

Stuart93
31-12-2022, 12:18 PM

GGTTH

Is this seriously how bad it’s became when we’ll be happy enough for us to just give hearts a game?

FFS

B.H.F.C
31-12-2022, 12:20 PM
Not for me, there are certain games we cant lose, this is one of them. A win with an Aberdeen type display against Celtic, and i'd be over the moon.

This. All that matters on Monday is the result. Especially when you’ve lost 8 of your last 10 games.

jeffers
31-12-2022, 12:24 PM
I don’t think Hearts are anything special, but they know how to win games. Like others my worry is we go behind and fall apart. I don’t think we have anyone in our side who will step up if the going gets tough. Of course we lost games when they were in the team but oh for a Marvin Bartley, Daz or SDG.

Just Alf
31-12-2022, 02:06 PM
I don’t think Hearts are anything special, but they know how to win games. Like others my worry is we go behind and fall apart. I don’t think we have anyone in our side who will step up if the going gets tough. Of course we lost games when they were in the team but oh for a Marvin Bartley, Daz or SDG.:agree:

Our saving grace may yet be their injuries situation.
Craig Gordon especially has been a match winner for them in the past (I know that's a strange thing to say about a keeper but it's how I saw it at the time)

B.H.F.C
31-12-2022, 02:10 PM
:agree:

Our saving grace may yet be their injuries situation.
Craig Gordon especially has been a match winner for them in the past (I know that's a strange thing to say about a keeper but it's how I saw it at the time)

Probably famous last words but him missing tomorrow is a huge boost for us.

Even last week before his injury, he had an unbelievable save to stop the game going 3-1 to Utd. Hearts are every bit as bad defensively as us so we need to take advantage of it, especially without him there.

basehibby
31-12-2022, 02:42 PM
Don't understand the almost wall to wall pessimism. The return of Nisbet and Magennis has improved us - even with Boyle being out - and I reckon that means there is now very little between the two starting elevens.
Either team could win but a draw is more likely.

DIXIHIBS
31-12-2022, 03:55 PM
Don't understand the almost wall to wall pessimism. The return of Nisbet and Magennis has improved us - even with Boyle being out - and I reckon that means there is now very little between the two starting elevens.
Either team could win but a draw is more likely.

Thats social media for you. Yes were not great just now but hertz not exactly world beaters. They've won 1 more game than us...1. Have a quick look on keekback and they are talking about catching Rangers as 3rd place is in the bag. Pessimism on here, total delusion over there. Such is life nowadays.

Logie Green
31-12-2022, 04:03 PM
Looking forward to Derby... seen enough in the last almost 40 years of watching to know that form / league position / squad quality etc is no certain predictor of these. |It about confidence / belief / workrate & a bit of things falling your way on the day.... there is nothing between teams in squad quality so the other stuff comes more into play... lets go there and play as if it was a cup semi-final and scrap for every ball (something they have been better at over the years when they have had poorer quality) and see how it plays out.... a new Hero born... Ellie Yohan double against a Shankland penalty :greengrin :party:

I’ve also been attending Derbies for 40 years and they’ve largely dominated them as well as beating us in 3 semi finals so I’m not sure you’re using the right examples to give us hope.

I agree that anything can happen on the day but I’ll be happy to leave their midden with anything other than another defeat.

GreenCastle
31-12-2022, 04:20 PM
Just watched LJ talking about the game and he says “pitch is similar dimensions “ - it really isn’t and I hope we are prepared for playing on a tight pitch.

Quite a few usual cliches about play the game and not the occasion etc

Seems Myko won’t start but maybe on bench.

Stuart93
31-12-2022, 04:32 PM
Just watched LJ talking about the game and he says “pitch is similar dimensions “ - it really isn’t and I hope we are prepared for playing on a tight pitch.

Quite a few usual cliches about play the game and not the occasion etc

Seems Myko won’t start but maybe on bench.

Sounds like more cliches. Sorry but the man talks nonsense

Looks more dejected every time I see him

Diclonius
31-12-2022, 04:40 PM
If the media line is this "just another game" pish then we're already beat.

This is the first of 3/4 cup finals for Hearts but for us it's just another game. Yeah yeah "they're obsessed", whatever, they still win.

Smartie
31-12-2022, 05:01 PM
If the media line is this "just another game" pish then we're already beat.

This is the first of 3/4 cup finals for Hearts but for us it's just another game. Yeah yeah "they're obsessed", whatever, they still win.

It's my Hibs pet hate and has been characteristic of all the teams we've had who have been pish in this game.

This is not just another game.

Scotty Leither
31-12-2022, 05:29 PM
It's my Hibs pet hate and has been characteristic of all the teams we've had who have been pish in this game.

This is not just another game.

His interview before the Celtic game was basically “we’re beat before we start”, and he bookended that after the game with his “we done better than the last time” bull.

I hope he’s not adding the Gorgie galacticos to his list of games we cannae we win, we’ve had enough at the club who seemed to think that in the past.

Callum_62
31-12-2022, 05:29 PM
I just listened to it

"you've got to bring out your best when it matters most and in The Derby, it matters most"

Not Sure how that translates to just another game

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
31-12-2022, 05:30 PM
I don’t think he’s said anything wrong from what I listened to. He just sounds/looks very flat though. He had a bit of enthusiasm when he came in and at the start of the season. That’s totally gone.

easty
31-12-2022, 05:31 PM
I just listened to it

"you've got to bring out your best when it matters most and in The Derby, it matters most"

It doesn’t, at all, but why let facts get in the way of a moan?

Diclonius
31-12-2022, 05:51 PM
I just listened to it

Aye, that's fair.

Donegal Hibby
31-12-2022, 06:17 PM
Lee Johnson.
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/johnson-ready-for-edinburgh-derby-clash

lyonhibs
31-12-2022, 06:24 PM

Surely you're long enough in the tooth to be aware that a Derby at Tynecastle is very much a game we are highly capable of losing?

Hibernia&Alba
31-12-2022, 09:29 PM

Yep, we invariably bottle it at the pink swamp. We'll see how it goes, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

ErinGoBraghHFC
31-12-2022, 09:39 PM
Dreading it, not going to sugarcoat it. I reckon we’ll get a right sore one.

However…. Anything can happen, get stuck right into these ***** and hope for a slice of luck and it might be our day, who knows. Mon the hibs.

Golden Bear
31-12-2022, 09:39 PM
Yep, we invariably bottle it at the pink swamp. We'll see how it goes, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

I've been bottling tonight as well but in my case I've been partaking in a few drams and right now my prediction is a four goal victory for the Hibees on Monday. 😁👍🥃🥃🥃🥃

Hibernia&Alba
31-12-2022, 09:45 PM
I've been bottling tonight as well but in my case I've been partaking in a few drams and right now my prediction is a four goal victory for the Hibees on Monday. 😁👍🥃🥃🥃🥃

I like it. Keep drinking them :greengrin