PDA

View Full Version : Observations of an outsider

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 09:43 PM
I took my brother in law, who's Spanish but recently moved to Leith, to the game today. Got him kitted out with a strip and scarf etc. My first game since COVID.

Anyway, from a starting position of minimal knowledge about Hibs but a good understanding of football, here's what he had to say

A) Only Youan posed any vague threat
B) We were utterly reactive, no proactivity or plan going forward
C) Even at multiple goals up, Celtic wanted it more, had more desire and energy as we didn't lay a glove on them
D) Most of the game was played at training game intensity by us.

Happily, he enjoyed the pre and post pub experience and the stadium under the lights before kick off so I reckon he'll be back, but even accepting the fact that Celtic are a good side, that was an insipid and utterly uninspiring performance. 180 degree turnaround in desire and footballing basics needed before the Derby.

PPZPOL
28-12-2022, 09:52 PM
That about sums it up nicely I’d say.

This team has no backbone or get up and go when the chips are down. A sign of something being badly wrong and a lack of respected individuals within the dressing room.

Frazerbob
28-12-2022, 09:53 PM
Is he aware that Critic's budget is probably about 50 times ours and we could only dream of according one of their players?

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 09:55 PM
Is he aware that Critic's budget is probably about 50 times ours and we could only dream of according one of their players?

He is. But the above points boil down to application and desire more than advanced technique more often than not.

Stubbsy90+2
28-12-2022, 09:55 PM
Can’t argue with any of what he thinks.

The Wireless
28-12-2022, 10:06 PM
The top coaches demand a level of standard and will be proactive should at any time the level drops. Players are aware of what these are and know the consequences with the resources a top club have if they fall short. When a club is short in depth and competition the competitive nature of preparation, approach and performance is hard to achieve or maintain. In a nutshell Hibs need to find a way to attract more investment and bring in much better players than we do.

Tully
28-12-2022, 10:07 PM
People go on about Celtic's budget doesn't seem to affect teams in our league giving them a game,with a budget so much less than ours, we as the fans really need to realise we are a team with no bottle or backbone, who's recruitment has been shocking and will take a long time to fix

Frazerbob
28-12-2022, 10:09 PM
He is. But the above points boil down to application and desire more than advanced technique more often than not.

We lost today because we were playing a team FAR better than us in every position.

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 10:11 PM
We lost today because we were playing a team FAR better than us in every position.

And far more determined. What happened in those games where we've meekly lost to teams with 1/10th our budget?

The issues at the club currently run deeper than just pure budget.

wookie70
28-12-2022, 10:15 PM

I'm with the OPs brother in law. Celtc are a good bit better than us but after around 15 minutes we played it like it was a training game. We hardly put any pressure on the ball for 3/4s of that game. That is the only way you have a chance against them and we can only do that for short periods as that is all the energy and effort we can muster. There was a ball played up the left wing in the last 5 minutes and Lewis sprinted from the edge of his box to the edge of the Celtc box to try and put some pressure on. He overtook Henderson who was about 30 yards ahead of him at the start. Lewis was about the only player, barring Campbell, that put a shift in for me tonight. I try not to get too angry with players at the game but I exempt Henderson from that. He hasn't even heard the phrase putting your body on the line and it is beyond me how he gets any game time. Porteous does not work in midfield and we are miles off it when it comes to fitness and sharpness. If LJ has had a say in the last windows signings then he should be a dead man walking. It is only that most of us think it is Gordon who is signing absolute dross that appears to be keeping the manager in a job.

Frazerbob
28-12-2022, 10:20 PM
And far more determined. What happened in those games where we've meekly lost to teams with 1/10th our budget?

The issues at the club currently run deeper than just pure budget.

I agree, losing to the likes of Livi regularly is unacceptable. I'm not going to lose my mind over a humping from Celtic. Going into the first 4 games after the break, par would be losing to Rantic, beating Livi and taking something from Tynie. I expect that to happen.

judas
28-12-2022, 10:22 PM
Hibs will not beat this Celtic team by attacking it.

That is thick.

We open ourselves up too much to a team with better attacking players and we don’t have a defence that can compensate for the expansive approach.

Aberdeen were slated for playing ultra defensive against Celtic. But they only lost 0-1.

Their strategy was more logical.

Johnson is looking like a bit of a moron.

Stubbsy90+2
28-12-2022, 10:23 PM
I'm with the OPs brother in law. Celtc are a good bit better than us but after around 15 minutes we played it like it was a training game. We hardly put any pressure on the ball for 3/4s of that game. That is the only way you have a chance against them and we can only do that for short periods as that is all the energy and effort we can muster. There was a ball played up the left wing in the last 5 minutes and Lewis sprinted from the edge of his box to the edge of the Celtc box to try and put some pressure on. He overtook Henderson who was about 30 yards ahead of him at the start. Lewis was about the only player, barring Campbell, that put a shift in for me tonight. I try not to get too angry with players at the game but I exempt Henderson from that. He hasn't even heard the phrase putting your body on the line and it is beyond me how he gets any game time. Porteous does not work in midfield and we are miles off it when it comes to fitness and sharpness. If LJ has had a say in the last windows signings then he should be a dead man walking. It is only that most of us think it is Gordon who is signing absolute dross that appears to be keeping the manager in a job.

Henderson is an abomination of a signing. A complete non trier and a dreadful player.

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 10:26 PM

That is thick.

We open ourselves up too much to a team with better attacking players and we don’t have a defence that can compensate for the expansive approach.

Aberdeen were slated for playing ultra defensive against Celtic. But they only lost 0-1.

Especially at home, attacking it and putting it under some coordinated pressure higher up the pitch are not the same thing. Respecting them too much and standing off all game will always, eventually, result in a defeat and a terrible, meek performance.

Donegal Hibby
28-12-2022, 10:28 PM
I'm with you on this one they are just so far ahead of everyone in the league and the evidence is there when you see a player like Jota coming off the bench, sometimes you just have to admit you been beat by a much superior team , no one's fault imo

BILLYHIBS
28-12-2022, 10:30 PM
Good thread

In the past we can usually bridge the financial gap with the uglies by showing desire commitment fighting for the badge and a little home grown talent but alas it was not to be tonight sometimes you just got to hold your hands up and say the better team won

We had no fight tonight

At least he had a good night apart from the fitba

Maybes get him a Time For Heroes DVD for Christmas

B.H.F.C
28-12-2022, 10:32 PM

They’ve always had a budget miles bigger than ours in my lifetime. But I can’t recall us getting chased by them in consecutive games like we have in the last couple of months. We should be able to at least be competitive in a one off game now and again.

IberianHibernian
28-12-2022, 10:32 PM
I took my brother in law, who's Spanish but recently moved to Leith, to the game today. Got him kitted out with a strip and scarf etc. My first game since COVID.

Anyway, from a starting position of minimal knowledge about Hibs but a good understanding of football, here's what he had to say

C) Even at multiple goals up, Celtic wanted it more, had more desire and energy as we didn't lay a glove on them

Happily, he enjoyed the pre and post pub experience and the stadium under the lights before kick off so I reckon he'll be back, but even accepting the fact that Celtic are a good side, that was an insipid and utterly uninspiring performance. 180 degree turnaround in desire and footballing basics needed before the Derby.I`ve been in a very similar situation taking Spanish friends or relatives to games against OF , almost always with similar results to today and that includes when we had a much better team than now . To be fair , I`ve also watched numerous Spanish games with Real Madrid or Barcelona winning comfortably away even against big clubs like Seville clubs . Is depressing . Not sure what the solution is . Maybe finding an outstanding manager who can really motivate team while also showing tactical knowledge and real ambition at a time when we have a good group of young players coming through . We don`t seem to have those young players at present and I don`t know who that manager could be - probably a young manager , starting out on managerial career which would mean appointment would be met with sceptisim by many in support . Maybe a foreign manager who won`t accept we are aiming for 3rd in a good year .

DH1875
28-12-2022, 10:34 PM
Good thread

In the past we can usually bridge the financial gap with the uglies by showing desire commitment fighting for the badge and a little home grown talent but alas it was not to be tonight sometimes you just got to hold your hands up and say the better team won

We had no fight tonight

At least he had a good night apart from the fitba

Maybes get him a Time For Heroes DVD for Christmas

The better team did win tonight but there was NO fight, No desire or NO commitment.
Utter dross and simply unacceptable to me.

Slim Shady
28-12-2022, 10:35 PM

Would you agree that counts for the last 8 games out of 9 that we’ve lost.

I would.

Our players are not good enough, fit enough and don’t want / have the heart to to play and win for Hibernian FC.

WestStandWillie
28-12-2022, 10:35 PM

That is thick.

I’d rather we took the game to them. There is nothing worse than sitting at a game with zero attacks and barely any possession. It’s turgid stuff

GreenCastle
28-12-2022, 10:38 PM
While lack of discipline has been an issue this season at times getting beat 4-0 going on about 7 without a yellow card tells it’s own story.

Not expecting us just to kick folk we at times we couldn’t get anywhere close to Celtic as we are no where near as fit as them or have players who have been told how to press at the right times.

We are soft physically and mentally and I can’t see that changing in either Derby. Prove me wrong Hibs.

green day
28-12-2022, 10:40 PM
While lack of discipline has been an issue this season at times getting beat 4-0 going on about 7 without a yellow card tells it’s own story.

Not expecting us just to kick folk we at times we couldn’t get anywhere close to Celtic as we are no where near as fit as them or have players who have been told how to press at the right times.

We are soft physically and mentally and I can’t see that changing in either Derby. Prove me wrong Hibs.
Hibs have committed more fouls than any other club in the league so far.........

overdrive
28-12-2022, 10:42 PM
The top coaches demand a level of standard and will be proactive should at any time the level drops. Players are aware of what these are and know the consequences with the resources a top club have if they fall short. When a club is short in depth and competition the competitive nature of preparation, approach and performance is hard to achieve or maintain. In a nutshell Hibs need to find a way to attract more investment and bring in much better players than we do.

We do have “investment” if by that you mean money being spent. Trouble is we are wasting it on absolute garbage.

Boyle89
28-12-2022, 10:43 PM

That is thick.

From what I saw, we were at our best when we pressed them high and forced them in to errors. It was when we sat back that we got cut open. Johnson is looking like a moron more so because of his team selection and atrocious use of subs.

CMac1988
28-12-2022, 10:44 PM
I’d rather we took the game to them. There is nothing worse than sitting at a game with zero attacks and barely any possession. It’s turgid stuff

I don't think we did take the game to them, atleast not after the first 20 minutes. Exact same as the game against Rangers. We didn't have much possesion either. 30% and only managed 1 shot on target. Surely we're able to manage a game more effectively and can fall inbetween 'balls out' and 'park the bus'. Don't know why it's always one or the other... Well I do. Most of our players don't have the physical or mental attributes needed to accomplish this.

GreenPJ
28-12-2022, 10:49 PM

:agree: They are a very good team - easily the best in Scotland and the movement and the speed they play the game at is far above what we could do in an attacking sense, however, I do think yet again Johnson got it tactically wrong - for the first 6-8 mins we went toe to toe (we could have scored and so could they) but we started to drop deep and invite them on us - there was no outball, Nisbet was a waste of space, put in no effort but also got no meaningful service. If we had competed we still would have been beaten but not so meekly as we were.

Johnson and Goodwin have both tried (and failed) to sit deep against the old firm and its not worked - Celtic want to build form the back and we gave them all the time in the world to do that.

I don't like using the resources as being an excuse but when you can bring on Forrest, the Greek striker, Jota and Bernabei off the bench it is a completely different place from where we are today.

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 10:50 PM

That sums it up. At least try to let them know they're in a game, especially at home.

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 11:37 PM
I agree, losing to the likes of Livi regularly is unacceptable. I'm not going to lose my mind over a humping from Celtic. Going into the first 4 games after the break, par would be losing to Rantic, beating Livi and taking something from Tynie. I expect that to happen.

You seem like an intelligent bloke. Surely if we get a draw against Hearts you won't be looking just at the last 3 games and thinking "well that's ok, pretty much as expected"

We'll likely still be 8th ffs. This season has, in keeping with the last 2 or 3, had decidedly more than its fair share of unacceptable performances and results already, specifically at home.

Frazerbob
28-12-2022, 11:40 PM
You seem like an intelligent bloke. Surely if we get a draw against Hearts you won't be looking just at the last 3 games and thinking "well that's ok, pretty much as expected"

We'll likely still be 8th ffs. This season has, in keeping with the last 2 or 3, had decidedly more than its fair share of unacceptable performances and results already, specifically at home.

We’re also currently 2 points of Europe. A draw or win on Tuesday and we’ve steadied the ship and can kick on. A defeat and it’ll be WW3.

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 11:42 PM
We’re also currently 2 points of Europe. A draw or win on Tuesday and we’ve steadied the ship and can kick on. A defeat and it’ll be WW3.

Obviously if we win on Tuesday I reserve the right to drunkenly haver about how much I love Hibs and how much LJ resembles the Messiah etc etc etc

NAE NOOKIE
28-12-2022, 11:46 PM

Happily, he enjoyed the pre and post pub experience and the stadium under the lights before kick off so I reckon he'll be back, but even accepting the fact that Celtic are a good side, that was an insipid and utterly uninspiring performance. 180 degree turnaround in desire and footballing basics needed before the Derby.

Clearly kens his fitba because he has totally summed up exactly what Hibs were tonight, there is no argument to be had with a single one of his observations.

This was not simply about a team with a bigger budget and better players being better, this was about a lack of energy, fight, desire and intent .... and that to me seems to be exactly what our Spanish friend noticed about us. He is far from alone.

Torto7
28-12-2022, 11:57 PM
:agree: They are a very good team - easily the best in Scotland and the movement and the speed they play the game at is far above what we could do in an attacking sense, however, I do think yet again Johnson got it tactically wrong - for the first 6-8 mins we went toe to toe (we could have scored and so could they) but we started to drop deep and invite them on us - there was no outball, Nisbet was a waste of space, put in no effort but also got no meaningful service. If we had competed we still would have been beaten but not so meekly as we were.

Johnson and Goodwin have both tried (and failed) to sit deep against the old firm and its not worked - Celtic want to build form the back and we gave them all the time in the world to do that.

I don't like using the resources as being an excuse but when you can bring on Forrest, the Greek striker, Jota and Bernabei off the bench it is a completely different place from where we are today.

All valid points. I'd also add for the football 'experts' on here that playing a low block with the weaklings Cadden, Hanlon and the small but limited Lewis was asking for even more trouble than attempting to press them higher up. That was a cowardly performance by Hibernian today.

Daniel 1875
28-12-2022, 11:58 PM

That logic suggests that every time we play Celtic we should be happy enough being trounced 4-0 because they’ve got more money. They’ve always got more money.

We’ve lost 6-1 and 4-0 in a few months. Johnson said we’d learned from the 6-1 and worked on parts of our game over the WC break. What evidence did we see tonight that we’ve learned anything?

First 30 minutes was good. They scored and then we folded, and not for the first time in recent months.

Also, why did it take until 3/4 nil down for Johnson to make a sub?

HH81
29-12-2022, 01:21 AM
That logic suggests that every time we play Celtic we should be happy enough being trounced 4-0 because they’ve got more money. They’ve always got more money.

We’ve lost 6-1 and 4-0 in a few months. Johnson said we’d learned from the 6-1 and worked on parts of our game over the WC break. What evidence did we see tonight that we’ve learned anything?

First 30 minutes was good. They scored and then we folded, and not for the first time in recent months.

Because he trusts his subs less than the players on the park.

Bridge hibs
29-12-2022, 05:35 AM

You said it right there ‘we folded’ it wouldnt have mattered what formation Johnson played last night. Park the bus or have a go, we simply do not have the personel

We are ****ing weak all over the pitch, gaping holes at the back and exposed time and again, no support down the flanks when they attacked, massive holes in our non existant midfield, oh for a Scott Brown or a Rob Jones or a David Murphy style player.

I felt kinda sorry for Nisbet as he ploughed a lone furrow last night with very little or no service.

I hated last night and 70 minutes of the same at tiny on the 2nd then we will come away with a big fat zero. Hearts are not great by any chalk but they ****ing battle, something our weaklings severely lack

Northernhibee
29-12-2022, 06:38 AM
People go on about Celtic's budget doesn't seem to affect teams in our league giving them a game
They’ve won eighteen out of nineteen.

Stubbsy90+2
29-12-2022, 07:26 AM

They’ve been given a game in a lot of them though.

lyonhibs
29-12-2022, 07:32 AM

Nobody is talking of such lofty aims as beating Celtic after a result like that, but it's possible to give a patently better team an actual test before losing. Had the result still been a loss but the performance been of a less cap doffing variety, the general mood would be a lot less critical.

GreenCastle
29-12-2022, 07:33 AM
They’ve been given a game in a lot of them though.

Celtic aren’t world beaters. They will win the league but we did make them look even better. They couldn’t believe how easy they found last night speaking to some of the fans who attend games regularly.

Bonnyrigg
Morton
Falkirk
Livi
St Mirren
St Johnstone

All the above have given us a game or beat us with much limited resources recently. Even Clyde 2nd half it was 0v0 !

Stubbsy90+2
29-12-2022, 07:38 AM
Celtic aren’t world beaters. They will win the league but we did make them look even better. They couldn’t believe how easy they found last night speaking to some of the fans who attend games regularly.

Bonnyrigg
Morton
Falkirk
Livi
St Mirren
St Johnstone

All the above have given us a game or beat us with much limited resources recently. Even Clyde 2nd half it was 0v0 !

Agree.

In their 6 previous league games they’d won 4 of them by 1 goal, one of them by 2 but it was 2 last minute goals and another by 3. They’ve left it late in 3 of the 6.

Other teams are competing with them. We let them stroll that last night.

theonlywayisup
29-12-2022, 07:51 AM
This team has no backbone or get up and go when the chips are down.

Keep saying this all season - I hate to think what will happen if this team goes "two nil down at Tiny" after 44 minutes.

There are no leaders on the pitch, someone who wants to win their own battle. So many examples last night of a Hibs player being dominated by their opposing player.

theonlywayisup
29-12-2022, 07:55 AM

Felt Youan and an ageing Lewis Stevenson did well for the first 10 minutes and we should have focussed our play down that side. However, I felt the midfield were slow in getting the ball into space for Youan to run onto, plus Youan switching off a few times when we had a chance to break.

Brightside
29-12-2022, 07:59 AM
Only Campbell shoes the level of intensity we need in our team. But LJ will have stats that will prove Newell was good. We are going in the wrong direction on the park under this leadership.

theonlywayisup
29-12-2022, 08:11 AM
Only Campbell shoes the level of intensity we need in our team.

Yes, glad you said that! He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but you can't criticise his run rate and desire to close opposition players down.

sauzeelegod
29-12-2022, 08:40 AM
Only Campbell shoes the level of intensity we need in our team. But LJ will have stats that will prove Newell was good. We are going in the wrong direction on the park under this leadership.

Agreed. I’ve not been Campbells biggest fan but take him out that team and we have no intensity at all.

Stubbsy90+2
29-12-2022, 08:44 AM

Agree, and I’m not really even a fan of Campbell.

Him and Magennis should be in the middle for the simple fact they’ll give us a bit of energy and desire. Newell should be gone.

Chorley Hibee
29-12-2022, 08:47 AM
Yes, glad you said that! He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but you can't criticise his run rate and desire to close opposition players down.

I'm far from his biggest fan, but at one point in the first half he done the chasing of at least 3 Hibs players, before gesticulating his anger to those behind him who couldn't be arsed.

I felt for him, because for all his limitations, at least he looked like he ******ing wanted to give them a game.

wookie70
29-12-2022, 11:28 AM
Agree, and I’m not really even a fan of Campbell.

Him and Magennis should be in the middle for the simple fact they’ll give us a bit of energy and desire. Newell should be gone.

We wait an age for Magennis to be fit and then he is stuck away out on the wing. Newell, Magennis and Campbell in the middle for me. I don't like our shape though and I would be looking to get more help for our fullbacks. Lewis and Campbell are the only two players who really look like they would run through a brick wall for Hibs. There are questions around our fitness imo.

JohnM1875
29-12-2022, 11:30 AM
We wait an age for Magennis to be fit and then he is stuck away out on the wing. Newell, Magennis and Campbell in the middle for me. I don't like our shape though and I would be looking to get more help for our fullbacks. Lewis and Campbell are the only two players who really look like they would run through a brick wall for Hibs. There are questions around our fitness imo.

Kenneh, Campbell and Magennis for me. Newell needs dropped.

wookie70
29-12-2022, 11:41 AM
Kenneh, Campbell and Magennis for me. Newell needs dropped. Kenneh is nowhere near the level of Newall imo.

JohnM1875
29-12-2022, 11:43 AM
Kenneh is nowhere near the level of Newall imo.

As a defensive mid he's better. I'd have Kenneh as a sitter and Campbell and Magennis in front.

WhileTheChief..
29-12-2022, 11:44 AM
Johnson said we’d learned from the 6-1 and worked on parts of our game over the WC break. What evidence did we see tonight that we’ve learned anything?

He says he takes positives and learns after every damn defeat but has yet to show any improvement at all.

He's been described as a slaver recently, I tend to agree. I really don't think he's got a clue how to fix things. Totally out of his depth.

blackpoolhibs
29-12-2022, 11:44 AM

FFS i never realised he was that bad.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2022, 11:52 AM
I'm far from his biggest fan, but at one point in the first half he done the chasing of at least 3 Hibs players, before gesticulating his anger to those behind him who couldn't be arsed.

I felt for him, because for all his limitations, at least he looked like he ******ing wanted to give them a game.

I posted this on a different thread. I know the exact instance you’re talking about and he literally ran past other Hibs players to try and win the ball back.

We have some real pretenders in the team. Some that act like the care but, in reality, they like it when things are going well and do some kind of magical disappearing act when they aren’t.

JeMeSouviens
29-12-2022, 12:03 PM

I don't think Campbell's attitude has been in question? There are plenty who question his ability, but not his attitude. Anyway, given our squad is stuffed with players with neither the ability nor the attitude required, he's among the least of our worries.

HairyMM
29-12-2022, 12:11 PM
Henderson is an abomination of a signing. A complete non trier and a dreadful player.
Totally agree…..playing with zero confidence and the heart of a pea 😡

theonlywayisup
29-12-2022, 12:33 PM

FFS i never realised he was that bad.

:thumbsup:

Donegal Hibby
29-12-2022, 12:40 PM

Who does your brother in law support in Spain?

lyonhibs
29-12-2022, 12:46 PM
Who does your brother in law support in Spain?

Almeria 😅 so not unused to poor football. With a preference amongst the big teams for Atlético (I think)

Donegal Hibby
29-12-2022, 12:52 PM
Almeria 😅 so not unused to poor football. With a preference amongst the big teams for Atlético (I think)
Probably a season ticket holder too I'd imagine? Have family in Spain myself Catalan area . Barcelona fans l

IberianHibernian
29-12-2022, 09:09 PM
Almeria 😅 so not unused to poor football. With a preference amongst the big teams for Atlético (I think)Paco Luna was an Almeria hero though I`m not 100% sure he played in same club as one in Primera now - same name but there were a few clubs closing and restarting / reforming in Almeria and Málaga about the time he played there .

Baldy Foghorn
31-12-2022, 05:38 PM
Rocky has been one of the few positives for me this Season, some transformation.....