PDA

View Full Version : Right Back

yerauldda
28-12-2022, 09:12 PM
A massive problem for us. Priority in January.

Unseen work
28-12-2022, 09:14 PM
I’ve said a couple of times I don’t rate Cadden much to some peoples amusement.

But I really think once Miller is fit he’ll be our first choice

Cat Stanton
28-12-2022, 09:24 PM

He looked worse....

Scottie
28-12-2022, 09:29 PM
Should have kept Paul McGinn. Never understand that decision to let him leave. Solid 8/10 every week.

Mcbizz1998
28-12-2022, 09:31 PM

I don’t rate him. Has his moments going forward but overall not great and a crap defender.

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 09:32 PM
Should have kept Paul McGinn. Never understand that decision to let him leave. Solid 8/10 every week.

What games were you watching last season where McGinn was 8/10 every week. He was terrible. Rocky was the scapegoat but McGinn’s performances were much worse. He had more errors leading to goals conceded than Rocky did under Maloney.

bingo70
28-12-2022, 09:32 PM

He really wasn’t IMO.

7/10 most weeks with the occasional 6 thrown in.

Cadden was horrible tonight though so wouldn’t be hard to replace.

Scottie
28-12-2022, 09:34 PM
What games were you watching last season where McGinn was 8/10 every week. He was terrible. Rocky was the scapegoat but McGinn’s performances were much worse. He had more errors leading to goals conceded than Rocky did under Maloney.
Pished for most of them granted. Still better than Cadden when blootered imo.

RossScott1991
28-12-2022, 09:36 PM

Right back.
Left back.
Left centre back.
Centre Midfielder x 2
Centre Attacking Midfielder
Winger

All needed

IberianHibernian
28-12-2022, 09:39 PM
Should have kept Paul McGinn. Never understand that decision to let him leave. Solid 8/10 every week.I agree . He struggled in the first part of last season but improved after that and was very good before 21 / 22 , Could play in centre of defence too and also got the odd goal .

Stubbsy90+2
28-12-2022, 09:40 PM
Cadden is really, really toiling. He’s getting torn apart on an almost weekly basis now.

Real Emerald
28-12-2022, 09:41 PM
Right back.
Left back.
Left centre back.
Centre Midfielder x 2
Winger

All needed

You forgot striker, so most of a team really. Considering the amount of signings we’ve made in the last couple of years who’ve turned out useless it’s absolutely ridiculous. Everyone who has had a hand in recruitment should be sacked.

Ozyhibby
28-12-2022, 09:41 PM
Please please please let’s just get a midfield first. Cadden not perfect but hardly a priority to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul1642
28-12-2022, 09:42 PM

We want to move forward as a club and push for 3rd. Paul McGinn is not the quality of player required to do that hence why he is now playing for the team in 10th.

Hiber-nation
28-12-2022, 09:44 PM
That was as poor a full back performance tonight as you'll ever see. It's all very well having a decent game and scoring a goal against 10 men bottom half teams but tonight he needed to actually defend. The amount of times he switched off or gave the ball away was astonishing. Youan bailed him out later in the game.

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 09:44 PM
Right back.
Left back.
Left centre back.
Centre Midfielder x 2
Winger

All needed

You're in for a disappointing January I fear.

The Harp Awakes
28-12-2022, 09:53 PM
That was as poor a full back performance tonight as you'll ever see. It's all very well having a decent game and scoring a goal against 10 men bottom half teams but tonight he needed to actually defend. The amount of times he switched off or gave the ball away was astonishing. Youan bailed him out later in the game.

Yep, absolutely horrendous positional sense and defending. The only reason he stayed on the park was that we had nobody to replace him. What a state our first team squad is in. Hardly any quality, no balance or cover in key positions and no fight when we lose a goal.

Add in awarding lengthy contracts to players who are not even good enough to break into a poor starting 11, and it amounts to gross incompetence by those managing the the 1st team squad and recruitment.

Basildon Hibs
28-12-2022, 10:06 PM
You're in for a disappointing January I fear.

😁👍

bookert
28-12-2022, 10:28 PM
Yep, absolutely horrendous positional sense and defending. The only reason he stayed on the park was that we had nobody to replace him. What a state our first team squad is in. Hardly any quality, no balance or cover in key positions and no fight when we lose a goal.

Add in awarding lengthy contracts to players who are not even good enough to break into a poor starting 11, and it amounts to gross incompetence by those managing the the 1st team squad and recruitment. It was obvious he was getting a roasting defensively. The worry for me is that the coach watching the same game as us did nothing about it. Cadden has qualities but defending one on one against a tricky wide player is not one of them

Diclonius
28-12-2022, 10:29 PM
Where is Miller?

paddy1875
28-12-2022, 10:30 PM
He’ll be having nightmares tonight of maeda.

There was chance tonight when I thought shooting would’ve been a better option than trying to square the ball. After a goal at the weekend i was baffled by his decision

I’m sure he had to pay to get back into the stadium after the second goal

Boyle89
28-12-2022, 10:34 PM
Cadden is a dreadful right back, always has been. Could easily be mitigated by playing porto in defence and going with a 3. Would also ease the burden on hanlon, who, sad to say, has looked finished recently.

LewysGot2
28-12-2022, 10:43 PM
He looked worse....

Yup. Not much technical ability from the games he's been involved in. Rough cubic zirconium...

Cadden is better as a wing back. He's better going forward than defensively.

The Wireless
28-12-2022, 10:45 PM
I agree. He was a consistent 7 every week and played to his potential.

Zazu62
28-12-2022, 11:59 PM

Aye in championship manager maybe

Torto7
29-12-2022, 12:07 AM
Why does our pattern of play always favour the right flank? Cadden gets so many touches of the ball and McGinn was similar before that. Are we incapable of mixing it up a bit? Asking him to defend in a back four is a carry on as well, I'm not his biggest fan but he was hung out to dry tonight. Clown show Bob stuff from LJ. I was in the camp of giving him time but he's getting on my wick now.

Torto7
29-12-2022, 12:08 AM
I agree. He was a consistent 7 every week and played to his potential.

He was ordinary on the ball though and has regressed defensively over the last 18months or so.

LaMotta
29-12-2022, 01:37 AM
The hyping up of Cadden last season by some fans will remain one of life's mysteries to me.

As for tonight, how can an experienced professional at 26 years old take the pitch wearing boots that aren't fit for purpose ? Amateur stuff.

LeithMike
29-12-2022, 06:27 AM
Please please please let’s just get a midfield first. Cadden not perfect but hardly a priority to replace.

Spot on. Fix the midfield and our defence will look a whole lot better. Be lost faith that Johnson can do this though after seeing fit to play Magennis out wide and Newell and Porteous in the centre against the most mobile and athletic team in Scotland. Embarrassing.

BILLYHIBS
29-12-2022, 06:57 AM
Said it on here before not a natural footballer no awareness no first touch cannae defend cannae tackle cannae cross a ball doesn’t lift his head was born offside, clumsy, frustrating to watch but can run all day

But what do I know he was our POTY ? :confused:

Mainstandman
29-12-2022, 08:51 AM
Cadden isnt a defender , he played his career before Hibs at midfield did he not. I watch him every week struggle to get near the opposition crossing the ball. Move him up to midfield. Who plays at right back I don’t know.

Rick Rude
29-12-2022, 09:01 AM
Cadden makes a pretty decent wing back as is alright at defending without being great and alright at going forward without being great. Playing as an out and out right back he struggles against better wingers. He also struggled when played as a winger last season too.

Was actually a bit surprised that he didn't get a lot of help from Magennis last night. Youan actually done a better job tracking back after he moved across to the right side.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2022, 09:18 AM
The hyping up of Cadden last season by some fans will remain one of life's mysteries to me.

As for tonight, how can an experienced professional at 26 years old take the pitch wearing boots that aren't fit for purpose ? Amateur stuff.

I thought he was badly exposed last night (albeit very poor).

I agree with your first point completely though. He’s a very average player who gets by because he gets up and down the pitch for 90 minutes. Him getting POTY last season didn’t make him a good player.

GreenNWhiteArmy
29-12-2022, 09:20 AM
Started really well. Faded after 20 mins or so, much like the rest of the team. Or rather celtic, with the humongous budget decided to turn up

But In true hibs fashion though we'll have a thread for most players about how pish they are

The Harp Awakes
29-12-2022, 09:26 AM
Said it on here before not a natural footballer no awareness no first touch cannae defend cannae tackle cannae cross a ball doesn’t lift his head was born offside, clumsy, frustrating to watch but can run all day

The fact that he was our POTY sums up the level of standard we have at the club sadly. He can run all day and occasionally rise above mediocrity, but if you don't know the basics of how to defend at professional level, even as a midfielder, that is a glaring weakness.

As I said in another thread, I wouldn't blame the player alone for having a nightmare last night. The Manager watched that for 90+ minutes and made no attempt to address the problem, or at least tell Cadden to get tighter. He presumably has been coached to stand 20 yards off his man which is nonsense. Any winger, particularly one as good as Maeda, loves the opportunity to get pace up and run at defenders.

Norrieg
29-12-2022, 01:01 PM
The fact that he was our POTY sums up the level of standard we have at the club sadly. He can run all day and occasionally rise above mediocrity, but if you don't know the basics of how to defend at professional level, even as a midfielder, that is a glaring weakness.

As I said in another thread, I wouldn't blame the player alone for having a nightmare last night. The Manager watched that for 90+ minutes and made no attempt to address the problem, or at least tell Cadden to get tighter. He presumably has been coached to stand 20 yards off his man which is nonsense. Any winger, particularly one as good as Maeda, loves the opportunity to get pace up and run at defenders.

You're right. It seems that Johnston must be coaching them to stand off the opposition and give them room to destroy you. It's just not Cadden, it's the whole team. They will not close players down or go near them until they are in the Hibs half and that happens most games. One player up front trying to cover 3 - 4 defenders. It doesn't make sense. His tactics are ***** and so is the garbage that comes out his mouth. What happened to man marking, or am I too old in the tooth to understand the modern game? :confused: Celtic closed us down at every opportunity with the result that we had to boot it up the park straight to them. Nuff said !!!
:yawn2:

Norrieg
29-12-2022, 01:07 PM
Why not shove Campbell to right back? You never know. He's young, strong and reasonably fast and he's certainly not a creative midfielder but he doesn't shirk it when called upon. It might work. Just a thought mind you as it has been done before down the years.

MKHIBEE
30-12-2022, 09:08 AM

That’s been said about me many times except for the run all day bit

1875Sean
30-12-2022, 09:34 AM
Why not shove Campbell to right back? You never know. He's young, strong and reasonably fast and he's certainly not a creative midfielder but he doesn't shirk it when called upon. It might work. Just a thought mind you as it has been done before down the years.

Think it showed last season Campbell playing deeper doesn’t work

Norrieg
30-12-2022, 11:00 AM
Think it showed last season Campbell playing deeper doesn’t work

Depends what he is asked to do when playing deeper. All we need right now is a full back who can harry, tackle and close down the winger to try and stop the crosses into the box, which has been a big problem for us this season. Cadden is no full back. But as I said before, he must be playing to the manager's instructions. And therein lies the biggest problem !!!

basehibby
30-12-2022, 11:28 AM

:top marksKeeping McGinn was a no brainer for me.

Cadden is good going forward but quite weak defensively and this was shown up in spades against Celtic. Many on this thread are throwing the baby out with the bathwater re Chris - he shines as a Wing Back but is shown up as a Right Back against the likes of Celtic who have more than one pacey, strong and talented left winger to call upon.

Miller has not shown enough to convince in any way - another speculative signing.

tonyrougier123
30-12-2022, 12:01 PM
:top marksKeeping McGinn was a no brainer for me.

Cadden is good going forward but quite weak defensively and this was shown up in spades against Celtic. Many on this thread are throwing the baby out with the bathwater re Chris - he shines as a Wing Back but is shown up as a Right Back against the likes of Celtic who have more than one pacey, strong and talented left winger to call upon.

Miller has not shown enough to convince in any way - another speculative signing.

I agree mcginn should’ve been retained especially as we were talking about experience,he was solid enough,certainly not a culprit needing binned.

I disagree on miller there’s a player in there. Needs games when fully fit.

Percy Vere
30-12-2022, 12:08 PM

Is this the Cadden appreciation thread?
I like him too.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2022, 12:10 PM

Wtf are you watching

1875Sean
30-12-2022, 12:11 PM
Depends what he is asked to do when playing deeper. All we need right now is a full back who can harry, tackle and close down the winger to try and stop the crosses into the box, which has been a big problem for us this season. Cadden is no full back. But as I said before, he must be playing to the manager's instructions. And therein lies the biggest problem !!!

Campbell has terrible in defensive mid when we needed him to harry, tackle and close down

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2022, 12:22 PM
Cadden, while not perfect, is IMO, a very good player. Not the best defensively, thats for sure, but properly drives us forward. Hes a key reason for us doing better against sides that sit in, or are defending with 10 this season. Was absolutely vital against Aberdeen, Motherwell, Livingston etc when they went down to 10 men and he didn't have as much defending to do. He properly hammered us forward on that side, creating chances, goals and generally havoc.

Him being a poor crosser is a laugh too. Would hate to hear what some thought of David Gray if they think Cadden cant cross, Gray was absolutely honking at it. Cadden brilliant assists for us at Ibrox, this season against Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Dundee United last season for Mitchell etc. He plays in many brilliant crosses. Some absolute stinkers too, but to say he cannot cross is reactionary nonsense.

He well deserved POTY last season. At wingback he was a constant threat, bombing forward. Effort never in question either.

Hes not the finished article, but he absolutely has a part to play in this squad.

loanheadhibby
30-12-2022, 04:23 PM
Cadden, while not perfect, is IMO, a very good player. Not the best defensively, thats for sure, but properly drives us forward. Hes a key reason for us doing better against sides that sit in, or are defending with 10 this season. Was absolutely vital against Aberdeen, Motherwell, Livingston etc when they went down to 10 men and he didn't have as much defending to do. He properly hammered us forward on that side, creating chances, goals and generally havoc.

Him being a poor crosser is a laugh too. Would hate to hear what some thought of David Gray if they think Cadden cant cross, Gray was absolutely honking at it. Cadden brilliant assists for us at Ibrox, this season against Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Dundee United last season for Mitchell etc. He plays in many brilliant crosses. Some absolute stinkers too, but to say he cannot cross is reactionary nonsense.

He well deserved POTY last season. At wingback he was a constant threat, bombing forward. Effort never in question either.

Hes not the finished article, but he absolutely has a part to play in this squad.

Wow I didn't realise Cadden was so good.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2022, 04:48 PM
Wow I didn't realise Cadden was so good.

Just my opinion bud. Let's be real, if it's anything remotely positive, you're not interested, so why bother commenting?

Allant1981
30-12-2022, 04:51 PM
Just my opinion bud. Let's be real, if it's anything remotely positive, you're not interested, so why bother commenting?

It's becoming very obvious now with this poster

Lago
30-12-2022, 04:53 PM
It's becoming very obvious now with this poster
Yip pain in the back side, constant trolling.

loanheadhibby
30-12-2022, 05:46 PM

How do you justify our league position with all these really good players we have.
Hanlon, Stevenson, Newell, Campbell and Cadden are all players you rate.
What's gone wrong?

loanheadhibby
30-12-2022, 05:49 PM
Yip pain in the back side, constant trolling.

It's pretty sad that a fan can't come on and give honest opinions.
Do you go the games and watch the current players representing our great club.
Surely you don't want me coming on here telling you that Newell, Campbell etc are all really good players.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2022, 05:52 PM
How do you justify our league position with all these really good players we have.
Hanlon, Stevenson, Newell, Campbell and Cadden are all players you rate.
What's gone wrong?

Eh, loads of things. You know that there is a bit more to things. Good players and even good teams have bad seasons all the time.

Also, league position in December isn't something I care about.

MWHIBBIES
30-12-2022, 05:52 PM
It's pretty sad that a fan can't come on and give honest opinions.
Do you go the games and watch the current players representing our great club.
Surely you don't want me coming on here telling you that Newell, Campbell etc are all really good players.

Surely I'm just giving an honest opinion too?

Stuart93
30-12-2022, 05:57 PM
I’d definitely look at strengthening there.

Pretty telling that Celtic we’re concentrating their attacks down his side the other night and not Stevenson’s

loanheadhibby
30-12-2022, 06:04 PM
Surely I'm just giving an honest opinion too?

I've never thought otherwise.

GreenArmy1875
30-12-2022, 08:26 PM
For me Cadden is not a right back or a modern day winger. He is the classic right mid in an old school 4-4-2. We need much better at either defending or attacking. Not particularly great at either.

eastmainsmsh
30-12-2022, 09:11 PM
Delfierre still on loan at Edinburgh

Played for Standard Liege and Mvv in Holland

Must be decent yet never had a look in