PDA

View Full Version : No more English lower league dross please.

BH Hibs
28-12-2022, 08:59 PM
Players or managers they just can’t cut it.

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 09:02 PM

Our last 2 cup winning captains came from the English lower leagues.

Players should be judged on their ability, not where they came from.

Jones28
28-12-2022, 09:07 PM
Lots of good players come from England, lots of bad ones do.

There was one lower league English player in the starting 11 tonight in Newall. Bushiri doesn’t really count - and he was one of our best players.

easty
28-12-2022, 09:10 PM
Is the English championship classed as a “lower league”?

Unseen work
28-12-2022, 09:11 PM
Here we go

Steve20
28-12-2022, 09:12 PM
We’ve signed dross from everywhere.

It’s not where we get these crap players that’s the problem. It’s the people identifying them that is.

NC1875
28-12-2022, 09:13 PM
Give me a rob Jones or David Gray over HIBEE Hanlon any day of the week.

BH Hibs
28-12-2022, 09:14 PM
New all being one of our best players is the problem. He wouldn’t have got near the squad in our cup winning team that’s how far our standards have dropped. Gray and Jones are exceptions rather than the rule.

Jones28
28-12-2022, 09:15 PM
Give me a rob Jones or David Gray over HIBEE Hanlon any day of the week.

Why not have both like the starting 11 who won the cup?

The disdain held for some club legends on this board will be laughed at in 50 years time.

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 09:15 PM
Celtic signed Matt O’Riley from the English Lower Leagues and he’s likely to be lifting some trophies and personal awards at the end of this season.

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 09:16 PM
New all being one of our best players is the problem. He wouldn’t have got near the squad in our cup winning team that’s how far our standards have dropped. Gray and Jones are exceptions rather than the rule.

That’s a problem with the individual, not where he came from.

hibsforeurope
28-12-2022, 09:18 PM
It doesn’t matter where signings come from it’s their mentality and desire that’s the main thing (as well as ability obviously) the type of things that can’t be seen on a spreadsheet.

GreenCastle
28-12-2022, 09:19 PM
Just no more dross or signing 16 year olds who are the assistants sons.

Doesn’t matter where players come from.

Bostonhibby
Chris Hogg anyone?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BH Hibs
Is the English championship classed as a “lower league”?

Sorry meant League One and below.

Bostonhibby
28-12-2022, 09:22 PM
Sorry meant League One and below.That would rule out Rob Jones, David Gray and Chris Hogg.

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 09:26 PM
Sorry meant League One and below.

David Gray
Rob Jones
Liam Fontaine
Dylan McGeouch
Marvin Bartley
Fraser Fyvie
Chris Hogg
Chris Killen
Shelton Martis

All played English League 1 the season before joining Hibs and went on to win silverware with us.

Bostonhibby
28-12-2022, 09:29 PM
David Gray
Rob Jones
Liam Fontaine
Dylan McGeouch
Marvin Bartley
Fraser Fyvie
Chris Hogg
Chris Killen
Shelton Martis

All played English League 1 the season before joining Hibs and went on to win silverware with us.And another medal winner for Hibs, the fantatic David Murphy who played most of the preceding season at league two Barnsley before he joined Hibs.

BH Hibs
28-12-2022, 09:42 PM
David Gray
Rob Jones
Liam Fontaine
Dylan McGeouch
Marvin Bartley
Fraser Fyvie
Chris Hogg
Chris Killen
Shelton Martis

All played English League 1 the season before joining Hibs and went on to win silverware with us.

I would argue a few of them had played at a higher level than League 1 beforehand.

Paul1642
28-12-2022, 09:44 PM
Where should we be signing players from?

Anyone close to an English Premiership or championship first team squad is out of our budget. Same applies to most of Europe’s top divisions.

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 09:47 PM
I would argue a few of them had played at a higher level than League 1 beforehand.

And a few of them had played at a lower level than league 1 beforehand. What’s your point?

lyonhibs
28-12-2022, 09:47 PM

You've had a stinker. Whatever level the player was playing at before us,is, in itself, no guarantor of either success or failure.

Paul1642
28-12-2022, 10:03 PM
You've had a stinker. Whatever level the player was playing at before us,is, in itself, no guarantor of either success or failure.

Agree with this. Some of out very best players of the last 15 years have come from:

Grimsby - Rob Jones
Raja Casablanca - Beji / Zemmama
St Mirren - John McGinn
Dundee - Boyle
Institute - Sproule
Le Harve - Beuzelin
Oldham - Chris Killeen
Burton - David Gray
Ashdod - Marchiano

If a player is playing well for a club at or above our level we probably can’t afford them.

BH Hibs
28-12-2022, 10:11 PM
And a few of them had played at a lower level than league 1 beforehand. What’s your point?

My point is the last three managers to have come from there seem to have no clue about how good or how tough the league is up here and think it’ll be a piece of piss. There seems to be an eagerness to move on or not play our youngsters when we are signing guys like McKirdy. I might be wrong but it’s just my opinion.

Alfred E Newman
28-12-2022, 10:19 PM
I think the OP would have been better omitting Lower League English and just saying dross.
As if the result wasn't bad enough the sight of our substitutes coming on made the evening even more depressing.
Coming home in the car I heard LJ say that after signing a raft of players in the last window we need another couple of windows to improve the team by bringing in more!
Just a look along the bench tonight says all you need to know about our signing policy.

Baader
28-12-2022, 10:53 PM
It's the poor standard of recruitment and the lack of proper scouting that's the problem. The players. Not where they've played. We're signing dross from all the world currently!

LewysGot2
28-12-2022, 10:56 PM
It's the poor standard of recruitment and the lack of proper scouting that's the problem. The players. Not where they've played. We're signing dross from all the world currently!

Wish it was lower league English "dross"...there's a chance someone might have actually watched them play first

Hannah_hfc
28-12-2022, 10:57 PM
‘English lower league dross’ was a lazy generalisation made up after that transfer window where we signed Doidge, Newell and Vela. As others have pointed out, we have had plenty of good signings over the years from the English championship or lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestStandWillie
28-12-2022, 11:05 PM

Time for bed mate.

Our problem this year is we’ve signed a load of youngsters who are from first team material. Dare say some of them would struggle to be first team regulars in a Scottish Championship side.

LewysGot2
28-12-2022, 11:11 PM
Time for bed mate.

Our problem this year is we’ve signed a load of youngsters who are from first team material. Dare say some of them would struggle to be first team regulars in a Scottish Championship side.

Yup a business model - speculative punts on potential with the hope that one or two can be sold on for Doig type premiums. Unfortunately, with the exception of Boyle and Marshall, there's been no counter balance in terms of proven pros...as McGeady has been on the medical table most of the season.
And it's probably fair to say most of the players will have been judged on footage and not in person scouting.

The recruitment has been the single biggest issue during the RG era. Its miles away from the days of John Park or even George the blether...

Is It On....
29-12-2022, 12:10 AM
And another medal winner for Hibs, the fantatic David Murphy who played most of the preceding season at league two Barnsley before he joined Hibs.

David Murphy & Rob Jones were brilliant players...

Crunchie
29-12-2022, 07:24 AM
Put your account back to bed along with your jambo scarf.

BH Hibs
29-12-2022, 09:09 AM
Put your account back to bed along with your jambo scarf.

Aye right enough teams pish, manager is pish, his signings and formations are pish along with the fitness levels at the club but I must be a Hertz ****.