dastardly8
28-12-2022, 07:42 PM
Our midfield is honking , Celtic has so much space it’s unreal

Scottie
28-12-2022, 07:46 PM
Next must do better :greengrin

LunasBoots
28-12-2022, 07:48 PM
We're playing against a style of play that all teams in this league struggle against...we are far to open though

Ozyhibby
28-12-2022, 07:51 PM
Our midfield is honking , Celtic has so much space it’s unreal

Been like that for years now. Nobody wants to fix it. So easy to play through. The amount of time Celtic are getting to pick passes out is ridiculous. Don’t think we made a single tackle that half.[emoji35]
Feel sorry for Porteous being made to go in there and try fix it. He looks lost. Can’t blame him for wanting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
28-12-2022, 07:55 PM
I don’t get why Porteous is in there.

madhatter
No legs, no ability to track opposition players and no creativity.

Ball watchers.

I think we ran ourselves out in 15mins. Pressed Celtic well at times and won the ball but then fell about 15yards off them ball watching.

madhatter

I hope its because this manager knows our midfield is rank rotten.

blackpoolhibs
28-12-2022, 07:58 PM

Me too, we brought in 75 players in the last couple of windows, but we are playing our best centre half in midfield, the player purchase department are a shambles.

truehibernian
Why is anyone remotely surprised ? Folk say ‘you don’t need captains’ and the team ‘lacks leaders’ - how about getting really industrious midfielders who don’t accept defeat lightly ? Should be innate in a footballer and we continually sign 5-a-side midfield players who don’t do the hard yards and compete. Soft is an understatement!

If you’re fit, you get close, you close down space, you stop the cross, you get a foot in. This midfield stands off way way too much and that’s why we are conceding a ridiculous amount of goals.

Such a vital area of the pitch that Jack Ross and his predecessor ruined.

Helensburghhibs
Watch porto for the 30 secs before moyos goal. Absolutely no idea what hes meant to be doing. Get him out of there for his own good and the good of the team

Ozyhibby
28-12-2022, 07:59 PM

He should have fixed that in August.

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 08:00 PM
We're playing against a style of play that all teams in this league struggle against...we are far to open though

Our midfield has struggled against Ross County and St Johnstone at home too.

hibee_girl
28-12-2022, 08:00 PM

Chucking Porteous in there isn’t the answer though.

He’s never played there and doesn’t look like he knows where he’s meant to be half the time.

If he was going to throw anyone in midfield it would have made more sense for it to be Stevenson after his performances last season.

Or maybe an actual midfielder 🤷🏻*♀️

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2022, 08:01 PM
Maybe Celtics midfield are just really good?

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 08:02 PM

Because our other central midfielders lack the ability to play forward passes with any regularity.

Unseen work
28-12-2022, 08:02 PM
Celtic normally struggle getting space too.

Very good players and very well coached

loanheadhibby
28-12-2022, 08:03 PM

They are but Campbell shouldn't be anywhere near a Hibs first team.
He gives his all but we need much more surely.

easty
28-12-2022, 08:03 PM

To be the anchor in midfield.

We need someone there, Kenneh was brought in to do it but hasn’t been up to it. Porteous is the best option we have in this squad to do it, unfortunately.

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 08:04 PM

Maybe St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Ross County, Dundee United and Livingston’s midfield were just really good too when they beat us. It’s not like this is a one off, our midfield has been our weak point for 4+ years.

madhatter
28-12-2022, 08:05 PM
He should have fixed that in August.

He could/should have but probably needed to give the players a chance.

hibee_girl
28-12-2022, 08:06 PM

I’d argue he’s been the best one in our midfield so far tonight

Ozyhibby
28-12-2022, 08:06 PM

So why have we had to put Porteous in there if they are so good?

HH81
28-12-2022, 08:07 PM

Best Hibs midfielder this season.

easty
28-12-2022, 08:08 PM

Newell has been far better than Campbell.

CapitalGreen
I’d argue he’s been the best one in our midfield so far tonight

Probably but it is a seriously low bar

Ozyhibby

I think your both right.[emoji106][emoji23]

HH81
28-12-2022, 08:09 PM

No way.

MWHIBBIES
28-12-2022, 08:09 PM
So why have we had to put Porteous in there if they are so good?

Those things aren't related?

Celtic do these things to Rangers, never mind us.

Can I ask, why it is expected when Hibs beat say, Livingston, a team with half our budget, but when Celtic, a side with 10x our budget, beat us, its cause for meltdown?

The Modfather
28-12-2022, 08:10 PM

Bald men fighting over a comb

loanheadhibby
28-12-2022, 08:13 PM

Jeezo, that says a lot

Ozyhibby
28-12-2022, 08:14 PM

Can I ask, why it is expected when Hibs beat say, Livingston, a team with half our budget, but when Celtic, a side with 10x our budget, beat us, its cause for meltdown?

We aren’t performing in line with our budget though are we?

madhatter
28-12-2022, 08:15 PM
You can see how often Newell switches off in defensive phases. He isn't the only one but if you watch him he is really bad at it.

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 08:20 PM
You can see how often Newell switches off in defensive phases. He isn't the only one but if you watch him he is really bad at it.

For our highest earning, most experienced and supposed leader in there it’s absolutely criminal.

Basildon Hibs
28-12-2022, 08:22 PM
Why is anyone remotely surprised ? Folk say ‘you don’t need captains’ and the team ‘lacks leaders’ - how about getting really industrious midfielders who don’t accept defeat lightly ? Should be innate in a footballer and we continually sign 5-a-side midfield players who don’t do the hard yards and compete. Soft is an understatement!

If you’re fit, you get close, you close down space, you stop the cross, you get a foot in. This midfield stands off way way too much and that’s why we are conceding a ridiculous amount of goals.

Such a vital area of the pitch that Jack Ross and his predecessor ruined.

Correct. Been like that for years. Don't know why successive managers have never addressed the issue.

loanheadhibby
28-12-2022, 08:29 PM

It's the manner of the defeat.
Tough seeing you're team completely outclassed at home.

LunasBoots
28-12-2022, 08:31 PM
Same failed midfield for years, never been addressed, we are a bottom 6 team currently and it's showing

Jones28
28-12-2022, 08:35 PM
It's the manner of the defeat.
Tough seeing you're team completely outclassed at home.

Outclassed because of budget is very different to being outclassed for fight and heart, of which we’ve shown plenty.

truehibernian
28-12-2022, 08:36 PM

Because in previous seasons we have competed and beaten them ?

The last three managers haven’t laid a glove on them and that’s because the last three managers players are sadly still here !

GreenCastle
28-12-2022, 08:55 PM

Newell was signed as a left midfielder.

Bit like Cadden as a right midfielder playing as right back.

Our midfield is awful and if we don’t sign midfielders in January we deserve to struggle.

truehibernian
28-12-2022, 09:02 PM

Our midfield is awful and if we don’t sign midfielders in January we deserve to struggle.

Newell was signed as a winger - he’s not even a good footballer in general 👍 sooner he’s away the better 👍

Hermit Crab
28-12-2022, 09:09 PM
Newell is like a man short.

Hector Mudflap
28-12-2022, 09:22 PM
Newell is like a man short.

Its LJ's obvious hair fetish.
Newell plays every week and Mckirdy gets ten minutes if we're losing.

it's the hair

GordonHFC
28-12-2022, 09:31 PM
Please get Newell to ****.

Hibby70
28-12-2022, 10:42 PM
Newell did a lot of pointing tonight but not much else. Until we sort the problem of not having anyone to replace him we are in trouble.

LewysGot2
28-12-2022, 10:47 PM

It's a mystery. He was all over the place again tonight. If Kenneh isn't better then that's a real worry.

Only one who worked hard was Campbell. Wasn't pretty but he did much more than most in the middle and up top.

The Wireless
28-12-2022, 10:51 PM
Maybe just maybe the team don’t do open and closed quick enough because the manager and coaches don’t see it. Good sides do most of the important phases better.

B.H.F.C
28-12-2022, 10:55 PM
It's a mystery. He was all over the place again tonight. If Kenneh isn't better then that's a real worry.

Only one who worked hard was Campbell. Wasn't pretty but he did much more than most in the middle and up top.

I don’t really think it’s a mystery. It’s just a gamble because the actual midfielders we have are so poor.

On Campbell, there was a point in the first half where he was literally the only one running. He started from right back, went right across the park to the left wing then went to close down Hart. He must have ran past about half of our very lazy team in doing so.

Box 17
28-12-2022, 11:11 PM

Kenneh came on and looked slow, overweight and unfit.

truehibernian
28-12-2022, 11:14 PM

No different to Joe Newell then 👍

Scotty Leither
28-12-2022, 11:16 PM

We won’t though, because pivotal players like a decent defensive midfielder and an assured passer of the ball cost ££££, and I’m led to believe we’ve nae money, apparently.

More “promising punts” on the way in to replace the ones on the way out, I fear.

Potty78
29-12-2022, 05:56 PM
The manager openly said when he took the job he had watched hibs the last few games of last season. Not to recognise how bad our midfield was is a school boy error. We signed a 19yr old kid to solve that position and that’s it. I respect what Hanlon and Stevenson have done at our club but they are both done unfortunately. Our best central defender in midfield tells me he knows we ain’t good enough in midfield.

JimBHibees
29-12-2022, 07:04 PM

Didn't look either overweight or unfit