PDA

View Full Version : Noisiest Stadium/crowd

DIXIHIBS
27-12-2022, 11:29 AM
After reading the thread about teeny tynie being in the top 10 stadiums i wondered what has been the best stadium others have been in for best atmosphere etc. Ive been to most in scotland and quite a few in europe following the national team but i think one of the best was scotland v netherlands at euro 96 at villa park. Scotland fans were in the Holte end and the noise was unreal. Add a very noisy dutch support...brilliant.

hibsbollah
27-12-2022, 11:36 AM
Marseille-PSG last season. Decibels pyros and hostility just off the chart really. Can’t wait for the next one.

weecounty hibby
27-12-2022, 11:59 AM
If its not restricted to football, there is nothing in the world like the Proncipality stadium when the Welsh rugby team are on top. Sadly over the years I have witnessed it many times v Scotland. Two things the Welsh do pretty well is rugby and singing!

Mon Dieu4
27-12-2022, 12:03 PM
AEK at Easter Road for football, outwith football then Alex Arthur V Michael Gomez at Meadowbank was wild

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-12-2022, 12:08 PM
After reading the thread about teeny tynie being in the top 10 stadiums i wondered what has been the best stadium others have been in for best atmosphere etc. Ive been to most in scotland and quite a few in europe following the national team but i think one of the best was scotland v netherlands at euro 96 at villa park. Scotland fans were in the Holte end and the noise was unreal. Add a very noisy dutch support...brilliant.

That game at Villa Park was indeed a marvellous atmosphere, Germany 2 Scotland 1 in Dortmund in 2003 was bouncing too.

DH1875
27-12-2022, 12:27 PM
Craziest/best atmosphere I've ever experienced was Sevilla v Betis about 20 years ago. 2-2 draw and was absolutely mental. Folk shooting guns and everything after the game. Couple of folk even got shot after it.

Hibees1973
27-12-2022, 12:55 PM
Craziest/best atmosphere I've ever experienced was Sevilla v Betis about 20 years ago. 2-2 draw and was absolutely mental. Folk shooting guns and everything after the game. Couple of folk even got shot after it.

Lucky guy.

I've followed Betis for three decades but never managed to get to the Benito Villamarin to see them.

Epic fixture.

Will do one day.

Hermit Crab
27-12-2022, 12:58 PM
Napoli v Man City, never again will I set foot in that city for football purposes. I literally escaped with my life that day. I was seconds away from a stabbing until police appeared out of nowhere. Never again, they don't discriminate either, women and kids were fair game for a chasing and beatings if caught.

H18 SFR
27-12-2022, 01:00 PM
AEK at Easter Road for football, outwith football then Alex Arthur V Michael Gomez at Meadowbank was wild

Calzage v Jeff Lacy at the MEN was outrageous for atmosphere as well.

itslegaltender
27-12-2022, 01:44 PM

agree on this 100%. I was in the Holte End and the only time its came close was the 16 Cup win.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-12-2022, 01:49 PM
Napoli v Man City, never again will I set foot in that city for football purposes. I literally escaped with my life that day. I was seconds away from a stabbing until police appeared out of nowhere. Never again, they don't discriminate either, women and kids were fair game for a chasing and beatings if caught.

Knifemen seem to follow you around. 😉

Bostonhibby
27-12-2022, 02:01 PM
Napoli v Man City, never again will I set foot in that city for football purposes. I literally escaped with my life that day. I was seconds away from a stabbing until police appeared out of nowhere. Never again, they don't discriminate either, women and kids were fair game for a chasing and beatings if caught.Went past the stadium one evening when there wasn't a game on and that was scary enough, the whole evening experience in the area is something I don't feel the need to repeat[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Smartie
27-12-2022, 02:07 PM
Maybe somewhat naively, a few of us had earmarked paying homage to Diego and going to Naples for a game at some point.

I take it this is a bad idea?

Whilst I wouldn’t say we’re exactly streetwise, we’re fairly hardened when it comes to spotting trouble and managing to stay away from it.

Bostonhibby
27-12-2022, 02:31 PM
Maybe somewhat naively, a few of us had earmarked paying homage to Diego and going to Naples for a game at some point.

I take it this is a bad idea?

Whilst I wouldn’t say we’re exactly streetwise, we’re fairly hardened when it comes to spotting trouble and managing to stay away from it.Probably not if your a neutral I'd guess. In and around the railway station at night was an experience though, there was some surprisingly dilapidated areas around it, fighting in the street, endless hassle from taxi drivers, and other car drivers pretending to be taxis or trying to sell us stuff, I could go on[emoji16]

RyeSloan
27-12-2022, 02:53 PM
Probably not if your a neutral I'd guess. In and around the railway station at night was an experience though, there was some surprisingly dilapidated areas around it, fighting in the street, endless hassle from taxi drivers, and other car drivers pretending to be taxis or trying to sell us stuff, I could go on[emoji16]

Been to Naples a couple of times and recognise this quite easily.

On arrival at the airport the luggage was not unloaded for ages. When it was it was literally dumped in a huge pile in the car park and people had to climb the pile to get their cases…it was mental.

Then we get a taxi from the airport to the train station. Ended up in a rather dodgy looking area…taxi driver stops and demands double money or he’s dumping us there and we can look after ourselves…duly paid up.

Next time for the same reason but in reverse and this time the traffic lights are not working as the council had not paid the leccy bill. Also piles of rubbish as the council had not paid the mafia (who seem to control the refuse collection / dumping anywhere). At least this time we get to the airport without being threatened with being dumped in a dodgy scheme but on arrival are asked for double money (for his journey back to the train station!)…a small argument ensues but the cash is soon paid when quickly surrounded by other ‘taxi drivers’ that looked and sounded rather menacing.

Fair to say I’ve no been tempted to go back since [emoji12]

Bostonhibby
27-12-2022, 02:57 PM

On arrival at the airport the luggage was not unloaded for ages. When it was it was literally dumped in a huge pile in the car park and people had to climb the pile to get their cases…it was mental.

Then we get a taxi from the airport to the train station. Ended up in a rather dodgy looking area…taxi driver stops and demands double money or he’s dumping us there and we can look after ourselves…duly paid up.

Next time for the same reason but in reverse and this time the traffic lights are not working as the council had not paid the leccy bill. Also piles of rubbish as the council had not paid the mafia (who seem to control the refuse collection / dumping anywhere). At least this time we get to the airport without being threatened with being dumped in a dodgy scheme but on arrival are asked for double money (for his journey back to the train station!)…a small argument ensues but the cash is soon paid when quickly surrounded by other ‘taxi drivers’ that looked and sounded rather menacing.

Fair to say I’ve no been tempted to go back since [emoji12]We stayed in a small private hotel outside sorrento, there was a fireworks display filling the sky over the bay of naples at night in the middle of September. The hotel owner told us that, and the attendant gunfire was the local mafia announcing to the police and anyone else that was listening that they'd smuggled another consignment in successfully [emoji23]

MKHIBEE
27-12-2022, 03:03 PM

Fair to say I’ve no been tempted to go back since [emoji12]

I am of the same mind, went once and absolutely hated it.

Green Reaper
27-12-2022, 03:06 PM
I was rhwre in September for a week and loved it. Streets were clean, felt safe and the locals were very friendly. Buzzing city with great food and lots to do. Missus wants to go back in March as she loved it too.

adam middlemass
27-12-2022, 03:12 PM

Yes, I was at both of them, absolutely electric atmosphere! :aok:

allezsauzee
27-12-2022, 03:22 PM
The atmosphere at Elland Road is the best I've experienced.

Donegal Hibby
27-12-2022, 03:29 PM
[Borussia Dortmund's yellow wall I've read is meant to have one of the best atmosphere's anywhere in the world.

DH1875
27-12-2022, 03:57 PM
Lucky guy.

I've followed Betis for three decades but never managed to get to the Benito Villamarin to see them.

Epic fixture.

Will do one day.

Been to see Betis a few times. Athletico Bilbao away was another memorable trip. Was a mid week cup game that Betis won. Took the ultras 17 hours to get there by bus lol. Seen them win the Spanish Cup too 👍.

There used to be an official supporters club based in Edinburgh. This was years ago so no idea if their still on the go but if you check out their website I'm sure you'll find out there.

Dashing Bob S
27-12-2022, 07:08 PM
I was rhwre in September for a week and loved it. Streets were clean, felt safe and the locals were very friendly. Buzzing city with great food and lots to do. Missus wants to go back in March as she loved it too.

Seconded. One of my favourite cities in the world. A marvelous place, friendly locals, terrific food and wine, and drenched in atmosphere, particularly the Spanish quarter. Everyone has different experiences, and while I'm not denigrating anyone else's, I've been to the city many times and fail to recognize it in some of those responses.

DIXIHIBS
27-12-2022, 07:19 PM
Been to see Betis a few times. Athletico Bilbao away was another memorable trip. Was a mid week cup game that Betis won. Took the ultras 17 hours to get there by bus lol. Seen them win the Spanish Cup too 👍.

There used to be an official supporters club based in Edinburgh. This was years ago so no idea if their still on the go but if you check out their website I'm sure you'll find out there.

Think the supporters go to the Polwarth? Might be wrong though...

heretoday
27-12-2022, 07:54 PM
Hampden Park 1965 cup final. No covered terracing either!

Sylar
27-12-2022, 08:18 PM
Again, if not restricted to football, Michigan vs Ohio State in 2011 in the Big House - 115k people in an open stadium and just a sheer wall of noise.

If football, I had the experience of attending a Palermo vs Catania game a few years back. An atmosphere of complete hatred and violence that spilled into the streets after the game with a police officer getting killed. Was absolutely terrifying, and never again.

IberianHibernian
27-12-2022, 08:46 PM
Craziest/best atmosphere I've ever experienced was Sevilla v Betis about 20 years ago. 2-2 draw and was absolutely mental. Folk shooting guns and everything after the game. Couple of folk even got shot after it.I agree about Seville city though shooting at folk is definitely not normal . . Great atmosphere at both grounds when they have a big match . Usually only about 1000 away fans at Seville Derbies so not always best atmosphere then . Good atmosphere when Valencia have a big game and I`ve heard atmosphere in Pamplona for Osasuna games is good too . In general think good thing about atmosphere in Spain is outside stadiums - before big matches at ER or Hampden , I never feel any atmosphere . I`ve been to numerous Derbies at Tynecastle but have never really noticed an exceptional atmosphere . Noisy in our end when we`re winning and a bit of noise in other stands when we`re not but nothing that players would find intimidating .

KdyHby
27-12-2022, 08:54 PM
The atmosphere at Elland Road is the best I've experienced.

Particularly against MU or Chelsea

Pagan Hibernia
27-12-2022, 09:21 PM
La Bombonera in Buenos Aires, is hands down the best atmosphere I’ve witnessed. Boca were playing Estudiantes de la Plata and the place was bouncing.

one of the best fan experiences I’ve seen in the UK was at FC United of Manchester. 4000 or so people watching a North West Counties league game at Bury FC’s Gigg Lane. Never stopped singing.

IberianHibernian
27-12-2022, 09:32 PM
La Bombonera in Buenos Aires, is hands down the best atmosphere I’ve witnessed. Boca were playing Estudiantes de la Plata and the place was bouncing.

one of the best fan experiences I’ve seen in the UK was at FC United of Manchester. 4000 or so people watching a North West Counties league game at Bury FC’s Gigg Lane. Never stopped singing.Have heard Buenos Aires atmosphere is amazing . In Europe some grounds in Turkey might be closest . In general , all seated stadiums and high season ticket numbers meaning almost no away fans limits atmosphere .

Pagan Hibernia
27-12-2022, 09:36 PM
Have heard Buenos Aires atmosphere is amazing . In Europe some grounds in Turkey might be closest . In general , all seated stadiums and high season ticket numbers meaning almost no away fans limits atmosphere .

agreed on the prices.

on the subject of away fans, they’ve all been banned in Argentina since 2013. Which is a huge shame.

SteveHFC
27-12-2022, 09:41 PM

one of the best fan experiences I’ve seen in the UK was at FC United of Manchester. 4000 or so people watching a North West Counties league game at Bury FC’s Gigg Lane. Never stopped singing.

Would love to go to the La Bombonera at some point.