PDA

View Full Version : Is Porty Suspended for the Derby?

FilipinoHibs
26-12-2022, 03:35 AM
A worried Hibs fan asked me!

ChilliEater
26-12-2022, 04:49 AM
Yes - I believe the card Nick Walsh gave him at Ibrox put him over the limit for a suspension. Don't know how many games, or if yesterday's will increase it, but misses the derby.

H18 SFR
26-12-2022, 06:53 AM
Yes - I believe the card Nick Walsh gave him at Ibrox put him over the limit for a suspension. Don't know how many games, or if yesterday's will increase it, but misses the derby.

The totting up process started again v Livi so he is a good bit away from another ban.

Brightside
26-12-2022, 07:04 AM
Yes. So we might play a midfielder in midfield.

Libby Hibby
26-12-2022, 07:07 AM
Yes. So we might play a midfielder in midfield.

We might. Hopefully that isn’t a dig and playing Porto in midfield the last couple of games as he’s been pretty effective in there.

3pm
26-12-2022, 07:20 AM
We might. Hopefully that isn’t a dig and playing Porto in midfield the last couple of games as he’s been pretty effective in there.

I assume Kenneh will play? Thought he may have got some minutes on Saturday but there was argument for them all to get minutes I suppose.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 07:26 AM

Was good on Saturday. Used the ball very well, 3 or 4 outstanding long passes like the one to put Nisbet in early doors. Not sure he’s a midfielder long term but he brought us a bit urgency in there the other day I thought.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 07:29 AM
I assume Kenneh will play? Thought he may have got some minutes on Saturday but there was argument for them all to get minutes I suppose.

Think you’ll be right, if we do all right and don’t pick and injuries/suspensions on Wednesday. Kenneh in for Porteous will lose us a bit on the ball but I don’t think there is anything else obvious we can do without having to make multiple changes.

Brightside
26-12-2022, 08:19 AM
Was good on Saturday. Used the ball very well, 3 or 4 outstanding long passes like the one to put Nisbet in early doors. Not sure he’s a midfielder long term but he brought us a bit urgency in there the other day I thought.

His positional play is all over the place. He’s a very good CB. All we’ve done is move a CB who likes a long pass into midfield.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 08:38 AM
His positional play is all over the place. He’s a very good CB. All we’ve done is move a CB who likes a long pass into midfield.

At what point was his positional play all over the place on Saturday?

He used the space the extra man gave us better than anyone first half and was on for a pass all day.

Brightside
26-12-2022, 08:54 AM
At what point was his positional play all over the place on Saturday?

He used the space the extra man gave us better than anyone first half and was on for a pass all day.

This shows the difference to how we rate players. If you didn’t see it on multiple occasions. There is no point having the discussion. The obvious one was when he threw himself infront of their player to “win” a free kick. Same v Rangers too. He’s a good CB. He’s never a DM. Kenneh is miles better in the role.

Sioux
26-12-2022, 09:01 AM
This shows the difference to how we rate players. If you didn’t see it on multiple occasions. There is no point having the discussion. The obvious one was when he threw himself infront of their player to “win” a free kick. Same v Rangers too. He’s a good CB. He’s never a DM. Kenneh is miles better in the role.

What's that got to do with his positional sense being all over the place? By you're comment, maybe you're all over the place here?

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 09:04 AM

How is getting you’re body in front of someone to win a free kick a lack of positional awareness?

I actually don’t think he’s a midfielder longer term but I’ve no idea how you come to the conclusion that he showed a lack of positional awareness on Saturday.

Eyrie
26-12-2022, 09:12 AM
I think it would be very difficult to judge Porteous' positional awareness on Saturday given that he had plenty of space and was rarely under pressure on the ball, let alone defensively, because of the early red card.

Hibee87
26-12-2022, 09:15 AM
I don't understand why he is suspended for the hearts game though.
Why is the rule that once you get x amount of bookings you miss the 3rd game after breaching the points thing? Surely it makes more sense to say once you hit the points threshold, you miss the next match. Seems bizarre the way it's being done now.

Allant1981
26-12-2022, 09:16 AM
I think it would be very difficult to judge Porteous' positional awareness on Saturday given that he had plenty of space and was rarely under pressure on the ball, let alone defensively, because of the early red card.

Yip had the freedom of the park pretty much the whole game, any suggestion of poor positional awareness in this game is just nonsense to try and prove a point

Unseen work
26-12-2022, 09:19 AM
For me the biggest thing about Porteous being in midfield is we love the ball quicker now and don’t over for it at the back

Porteous is a very good centre half by my issue was that it was almost at the stage he wanted to control the game from there, it would always go back to him and we’d knock it about the defence for ages.

Rocky and Hanlon just pass it to the midfielders and let them play.

With Porteous in midfield teams struggling keeping there shape as it’s into midfield a lot quicker and we play from there.

Porteous also has the ability that Kenneh lacks where he can quickly clip or ping a ball out wide.

Kenneh is a very good young player defensively imo, he just always seems to be in the right place. On the ball though he’s quite poor and the reason he never started against rangers imo was because of Celtic nicking it off him a couple of times at parkhead from him doing fresh air swipes when put under pressure

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 09:38 AM

Aye agree with that, certainly without the ball.

The comparison to Kenneh being far better in that position wouldn’t have stood up in that game on Saturday though. He’d have used the ball nowhere near as well or kept things moving as quickly.

Brightside
26-12-2022, 09:39 AM
Yip had the freedom of the park pretty much the whole game, any suggestion of poor positional awareness in this game is just nonsense to try and prove a point

If he had the freedom of the park why would we even have a DM? Are we seriously now suggesting that we have no better midfielders than Porto in that situation?

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 09:47 AM
If he had the freedom of the park why would we even have a DM? Are we seriously now suggesting that we have no better midfielders than Porto in that situation?

In the situation we found ourselves in Saturday, I don’t think we do. He’s the best passer of the ball in our team when he has as much time as he got on Saturday. In terms of on the ball, in that position, I don’t know what more he could really have done at the weekend.

CapitalGreen
26-12-2022, 09:53 AM

Do you think Porteous has just been put in there for defensive reasons?

Against Livi and the first half against Rangers, there has been an obvious shift in tempo of transition from defence to attack. Instead of Newell taking the ball off the defence and pissing about with it passing sideways and backwards, we now have Porto taking the ball and moving it forward a lot quicker. It’s no coincidence we are seeing Youan being more effective now we have sped up the transition. Getting him the ball quicker allows him to isolate opposition defenders while they are on the back foot rather trying to play through teams who have 10 men behind the ball as we’ve taken so long to get it up to him.

tamig
26-12-2022, 09:58 AM

You come out with some absolute belters from time to time and this and your previous statement about his positional sense being all over the place are just nonsense. I struggle to understand what you see with your eyes at games with some of the stuff you put up on here.

Smartie
26-12-2022, 10:34 AM
I thought Porto did well there and the middle 3 worked well.

What I don’t get is that it was a CH in place of JDH away from us playing the “terrible trio”, a blend we’ve all acknowledged just doesn’t work.

I like JDH, good on the ball and strong enough defensively, so I can’t figure out why it seemed to click so much better with Porto on Saturday.

There’s a cruel part of me simply wants to put it down to being up against 10 men for most of the game, there’s another that thinks it might be more down to solid performances and contributions from the front 3 making their job easier.

Either way, I thought Porteous looked quite comfortable and don’t get the criticism of his positioning.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 11:00 AM
I thought Porto did well there and the middle 3 worked well.

What I don’t get is that it was a CH in place of JDH away from us playing the “terrible trio”, a blend we’ve all acknowledged just doesn’t work.

I like JDH, good on the ball and strong enough defensively, so I can’t figure out why it seemed to click so much better with Porto on Saturday.

There’s a cruel part of me simply wants to put it down to being up against 10 men for most of the game, there’s another that thinks it might be more down to solid performances and contributions from the front 3 making their job easier.

Either way, I thought Porteous looked quite comfortable and don’t get the criticism of his positioning.

Set up was a lot different for me to when we had that midfield a lot of the time last year. Campbell was so high up the park he was more or less a second striker (until he dropped back later in the game after the subs). Then you had Magennis playing from the right but obviously in a totally different way to a natural winger would. Johnson also mentioned in his interview that one of the reasons for playing Stevenson was that they wanted him to tuck in and help the midfield. Inverted fullback I think he called it (like the Man City’s etc do).

BoomtownHibees
26-12-2022, 11:39 AM

You’re all over the place on this thread

Allant1981
26-12-2022, 12:36 PM

When they went down to 10 men he wasn't really playing as a DM though was he, and if the manager is playing him as a DM then they clearly don't think we do, you rate kenneh clearly and want him to play, even suggested he was the best we signed in the summer(he really isnt) maybe just accept that kenneh isn't that good(yet) and currently porteous in certain games in the best option

Heisenberg
26-12-2022, 12:45 PM
Porteous is absolutely miles ahead of Kenneh when it comes to using the ball. Fairly sure we’ll sign someone to take up that position in January if Porteous goes because NK clearly isn’t trusted to do it just now.

scoopyboy
26-12-2022, 12:47 PM
I don't understand why he is suspended for the hearts game though.
Why is the rule that once you get x amount of bookings you miss the 3rd game after breaching the points thing? Surely it makes more sense to say once you hit the points threshold, you miss the next match. Seems bizarre the way it's being done now.

It's nothing to do with 3rd game after the final booking, it's the first game after 14 days.

weecounty hibby
26-12-2022, 01:53 PM
The booking against the hun was a shocker. Combination of who we were playing, who the ref was and who the Hibs player was. Without that combination it would never have been a booking

Diclonius
26-12-2022, 02:24 PM
He's never won a derby so not necessarily a big loss tbh.

LaMotta
26-12-2022, 03:03 PM
In the situation we found ourselves in Saturday, I don’t think we do. He’s the best passer of the ball in our team when he has as much time as he got on Saturday. In terms of on the ball, in that position, I don’t know what more he could really have done at the weekend.

You come out with some absolute belters from time to time and this and your previous statement about his positional sense being all over the place are just nonsense. I struggle to understand what you see with your eyes at games with some of the stuff you put up on here.

Porteous is absolutely miles ahead of Kenneh when it comes to using the ball. Fairly sure we’ll sign someone to take up that position in January if Porteous goes because NK clearly isn’t trusted to do it just now.

:agree::agree::agree:

I think playing him in CM has been a good shout by Johnson. He's one of our most energetic and creative players.

If as was suggested that his positional play is poor then I'd much rather have him in CM than at CH.

Steven79
26-12-2022, 04:42 PM
He's never won a derby so not necessarily a big loss tbh.That's more on the whole team being rubbish in derbies since he's become a first team regular.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Brightside
26-12-2022, 04:55 PM
It will be interesting to see if he plays there v Celtic.

Brightside
26-12-2022, 05:11 PM

And there is no way he’s the best passer in our team. It’s ludicrous to even think that a CB could be the best passer in our team.

JimBHibees
26-12-2022, 05:34 PM
The booking against the hun was a shocker. Combination of who we were playing, who the ref was and who the Hibs player was. Without that combination it would never have been a booking

Yep imo deliberate by the ref knowing it would put him out the derby. Barely a foul never a yellow

Gmack7
26-12-2022, 05:41 PM
The clown didn't even have his card out and the sky commentator couldn't wait to tell us he was suspended for the Derby, almost as if he was desperate to say it

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 05:48 PM
And there is no way he’s the best passer in our team. It’s ludicrous to even think that a CB could be the best passer in our team.

Who’s better?

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 05:52 PM
It will be interesting to see if he plays there v Celtic.

Ah, selective games. Hanlon terrible at Ibrox but couldn’t wait to tell us how good he was against Livingston.

Your contribution to this thread has been brilliant.

Brightside
26-12-2022, 06:01 PM
Ah, selective games. Hanlon terrible at Ibrox but couldn’t wait to tell us how good he was against Livingston.

Your contribution to this thread has been brilliant.

I said he was poor against rangers. Nothing selective about my posting. Thanks for rating my contribution also 😂

Chip shop Joe
26-12-2022, 06:45 PM

Who actually is better?

I agree that Porteous is the best passer in the team which given the number of midfielders we have tells a story!

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 06:53 PM
I said he was poor against rangers. Nothing selective about my posting. Thanks for rating my contribution also 😂

Your stupid laughing faces make you look daft. Why not come up with a constructive argument?

BILLYHIBS
26-12-2022, 07:03 PM
Joe Newell has got to be a better passer of the ball than Porto

Was’nt that long ago Porto’s head was all over the shop dreaming of bumper wage packets and passing even the most basic straight forward pass out of play to a hibs man standing in acres of space

FWIW thought he was ok first half at Ibrox was one of those posted missing in action second half never a booking and played well on Saturday seeming to grow into the role but admittedly had acres of space to operate

cameronw-hfc
26-12-2022, 07:50 PM
Joe Newell has got to be a better passer of the ball than Porto

Was’nt that long ago Porto’s head was all over the shop dreaming of bumper wage packets and passing even the most basic straight forward pass out of play to a hibs man standing in acres of space

FWIW thought he was ok first half at Ibrox was one of those posted missing in action second half never a booking and played well on Saturday seeming to grow into the role but admittedly had acres of space to operate

Joe is a better passer. As is JDH, and Magennis. I'd concede though I think Porto is probably our most progressive passer. He tries forward passes more often than anyone else, don't think he's our best passer though.

Brightside
26-12-2022, 08:00 PM
Your stupid laughing faces make you look daft. Why not come up with a constructive argument?

You’re quite an angry poster eh. Almost every player is a better passer than Porto. At CB he’s given the ball away on many occasions due to poor passing. Now stick to discussing the point rather than the personal attacks. Namaste.

Tyler Durden
26-12-2022, 08:02 PM
Credit to Lee Johnson for at least trying something different by putting Porto in there. But I agree with some other comments, he doesn’t know the position (understandably) and it will show pretty quickly. He was all over the place at Ibrox.

I’d rather have Kenneh in there for a derby but ideally we sign better

Smartie
26-12-2022, 08:08 PM
This “best passer” business is surely comparing apples and oranges, no?

If my life had to depend on it, I’d want Scott Allan threading a ball through centre backs to play a weighted ball in behind a defence.

We’ve not had many players to rival Porteous at playing out of defence through the midfield, he’s excellent at playing out from the back, something that Paul Hanlon’s not too shabby at either.

BILLYHIBS
26-12-2022, 08:09 PM
Joe is a better passer. As is JDH, and Magennis. I'd concede though I think Porto is probably our most progressive passer. He tries forward passes more often than anyone else, don't think he's our best passer though.

Yip remember a couple of Beckenbauer lumps up the park into space from the back from Porto

I suppose you could call them progressive and they were definitely forward

CapitalGreen
26-12-2022, 08:18 PM
According to whoscored.com, Ryan Porteous has the highest number of Accurate Long Balls and the 6th highest* number of accurate short passes in the league this season amongst outfielders.

On a per90 basis, he is 1st and 11th respectively amongst players who have played at least 50% of minutes this season. On the same measure, Newell is 20th and 26th respectively.

*highest for a non-Old Firm player.

Allant1981
26-12-2022, 08:20 PM
According to whoscored.com, Ryan Porteous has the highest number of Accurate Long Balls and the 6th highest* number of accurate short passes in the league this season amongst outfielders.

On a per90 basis, he is 1st and 11th respectively amongst players who have played at least 50% of minutes this season. On the same measure, Newell is 20th and 26th respectively.

Nah its ludicrous to suggest a CB could be a good passer of the ball

Tyler Durden
26-12-2022, 08:21 PM

Definitely our most effective passer, from his role in defence.

CapitalGreen
26-12-2022, 08:24 PM
Porteous has also created the most chances of any centre back in the league (21) and 9th most amongst non-Old Firm players.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 09:12 PM
You’re quite an angry poster eh. Almost every player is a better passer than Porto. At CB he’s given the ball away on many occasions due to poor passing. Now stick to discussing the point rather than the personal attacks. Namaste.

Haha. Who’s better?

What was angry about my post? Personal attacks ……

BoomtownHibees
26-12-2022, 09:17 PM

Aye but he’s a centre half so can’t be. Stop using stats to prove a point

bingo70
26-12-2022, 10:06 PM
Aye but he’s a centre half so can’t be. Stop using stats to prove a point

It doesn’t really prove a point though.

Porto is bound to have better passing stats, he’s in a position where he gets more time on the ball and all the play is ahead of him. When a centre midfielder receives a ball he can and will have people trying to get it off him from all angles so everything will be that more rushed. If any of our midfielders played centre half, they’d have better passing stats too.

Porto would have been helped in midfield on Saturday when they went down to 10 men, at that point we probably didn’t need a defensive midfielder so he almost had a sort of free role. If he plays centre midfield against Celtic they’ll exploit any positional weakness, probably the way Rangers did in the second half.

I think there’ll be times when RP in midfield works but against Celtic I’d rather play a proper midfielder there and get him back in defence where I think he’ll be needed.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 10:16 PM

Porto is bound to have better passing stats, he’s in a position where he gets more time on the ball and all the play is ahead of him. When a centre midfielder receives a ball he can and will have people trying to get it off him from all angles so everything will be that more rushed. If any of our midfielders played centre half, they’d have better passing stats too.

Porto would have been helped in midfield on Saturday when they went down to 10 men, at that point we probably didn’t need a defensive midfielder so he almost had a sort of free role. If he plays centre midfield against Celtic they’ll exploit any positional weakness, probably the way Rangers did in the second half.

I think there’ll be times when RP in midfield works but against Celtic I’d rather play a proper midfielder there and get him back in defence where I think he’ll be needed.

How were the ‘proper’ midfielders against Celtic last time though? Particularly Kenneh, when he was terrified of the ball?

Will say again that I don’t think Porteous is a midfielder long term. Probably says more about the actual midfielders though.

BoomtownHibees
26-12-2022, 10:20 PM

Ah right, so the stats which show how effective he is at passing doesn’t actually prove he’s an effective passer of the ball?

He’s also 9th highest player in the league, outside the Glasgow 2, at creating chances. That says to me he’s a pretty effective passer of the ball

bingo70
26-12-2022, 10:27 PM
Ah right, so the stats which show how effective he is at passing doesn’t actually prove he’s an effective passer of the ball?

He’s also 9th highest player in the league, outside the Glasgow 2, at creating chances. That says to me he’s a pretty effective passer of the ball

I like Porteous and have had many an argument defending him when others were getting annoyed with him. My point was just that I don’t think stats comparing a defenders passing % with a midfielders % is a fair comparison and having better stats doesn’t mean he’s necessarily a better passer of the ball.

I think Porto is tremendous though so you won’t catch me talking him down, I think we need him in defence against Celtic and I’d rather we had a midfielder in midfield on Wednesday.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 10:28 PM

Ryan would be as good a passer as Joe if he just passed it 10 yards all the time. This isn’t intended as an attack on Joe but anyone can see that Ryan can pass a ball in a way that Joe can’t. I think Joe would admit that himself. And most sensible folk at the game on Saturday would acknowledge it as well IMO.

bingo70
26-12-2022, 10:28 PM
How were the ‘proper’ midfielders against Celtic last time though? Particularly Kenneh, when he was terrified of the ball?

Will say again that I don’t think Porteous is a midfielder long term. Probably says more about the actual midfielders though.

Kenneh was horrible in that game but I’ve liked him. I wouldn’t rule him out of all games against Celtic just because he had a shocker against them before, that can happen at Parkhead.

B.H.F.C
26-12-2022, 10:31 PM
Kenneh was horrible in that game but I’ve liked him. I wouldn’t rule him out of all games against Celtic just because he had a shocker against them before, that can happen at Parkhead.

Neither would I. But if we’re talking about passing the ball, he’s about as poor as it comes (although he has his strengths).

Frazerbob
27-12-2022, 04:45 AM

Especially with a 19 year old kid.

Libby Hibby
27-12-2022, 06:58 AM
I tend to agree with some on here that Porto isn’t a long term solution to our midfield but the folk trying to bring his performances down and saying he’s not effective just have their eyes painted on.

The passing stats prove just how good he is.

It probably says more about our current group of midfielders that Porto is being asked to play in there more than it says about Porto actually playing in midfield.

MWHIBBIES
27-12-2022, 07:08 AM
Ryan would be as good a passer as Joe if he just passed it 10 yards all the time. This isn’t intended as an attack on Joe but anyone can see that Ryan can pass a ball in a way that Joe can’t. I think Joe would admit that himself. And most sensible folk at the game on Saturday would acknowledge it as well IMO.

You can't claim to be sensible then say Newell only passes 10 yards. The best pass by a Hibs player this season was Newell Vs St Mirren for the disallowed goal.

Libby Hibby
27-12-2022, 07:10 AM
You can't claim to be sensible then say Newell only passes 10 yards. The best pass by a Hibs player this season was Newell Vs St Mirren for the disallowed goal.

One swallow doesn’t make a summer.

MWHIBBIES
27-12-2022, 07:27 AM
One swallow doesn’t make a summer.

No, you're right. He made 2 more excellent passes the week before Vs St Johnsone. One to Cabraja again was excellent. .

Porto may be a better passer but it's a lie to say Newell only passes 10 yards.

Libby Hibby
27-12-2022, 07:33 AM
No, you're right. He made 2 more excellent passes the week before Vs St Johnsone. One to Cabraja again was excellent. .

Porto may be a better passer but it's a lie to say Newell only passes 10 yards.

I think we all knew what BHFC meant.

Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know what Newell’s over / under 10yd pass percentage would be. I’m guessing at 5% / 95%.

Tyler Durden
27-12-2022, 08:29 AM
I like Porteous and have had many an argument defending him when others were getting annoyed with him. My point was just that I don’t think stats comparing a defenders passing % with a midfielders % is a fair comparison and having better stats doesn’t mean he’s necessarily a better passer of the ball.

I think Porto is tremendous though so you won’t catch me talking him down, I think we need him in defence against Celtic and I’d rather we had a midfielder in midfield on Wednesday.

It’s not pass % though. Porteous pass completion % is actually marginally worse than Rocky and Hanlon.

But he makes key passes (only Boyle averages more) and he passes through the lines. Again he does that very well IMO from CB. If he continued in midfield his pass effectiveness would get worse pretty quick.

Playing defensive midfield is often about receiving the ball facing your own goal and being able to accept it on the half turn. It’s not easy to be fair. Kenneh has the defensive side sorted, he needs to develop with the ball.

BILLYHIBS
27-12-2022, 08:34 AM
It’s not pass % though. Porteous pass completion % is actually marginally worse than Rocky and Hanlon.

But he makes key passes (only Boyle averages more) and he passes through the lines. Again he does that very well IMO from CB. If he continued in midfield his pass effectiveness would get worse pretty quick.

Playing defensive midfield is often about receiving the ball facing your own goal and being able to accept it on the half turn. It’s not easy to be fair. Kenneh has the defensive side sorted, he needs to develop with the ball.
Agree

Porto seemed to kick the ball the way he was facing at Ibrox but improved on Saturday as he had more room grew into his new role putting his foot on the ball even performing pirhouettes and spraying the ball about

Wednesday will be a bigger test

MWHIBBIES
27-12-2022, 08:50 AM
I think we all knew what BHFC meant.

Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know what Newell’s over / under 10yd pass percentage would be. I’m guessing at 5% / 95%.

:faf: come on. It's nothing like 5%. What are you actually watching mate? Probably his most common passes are 30/40 yard ones out to the fullbacks.

hibsbollah
27-12-2022, 08:58 AM
Are we still talking about Newell?

Porteous into midfield made sense from the context of playing Livvy. You can’t think of a more different opponent than Celtc, Calum McGregor gives a different problem, so it’s unlikely it would have happened again anyway.

B.H.F.C
27-12-2022, 09:00 AM

Porteous into midfield made sense from the context of playing Livvy. You can’t think of a more different opponent than Celtc, Calum McGregor gives a different problem, so it’s unlikely it’ll happen again.

It happened at Ibrox as well. Think he’ll continue in that position tomorrow.

Would be surprised if we make any changes.

hibsbollah
27-12-2022, 09:01 AM
It happened at Ibrox as well. Think he’ll continue in that position tomorrow.

Would be surprised if we make any changes.

I think he’ll change it, soon find out. Can’t wait to get out of the house and watch the Hibs again.

CapitalGreen
27-12-2022, 09:08 AM
Attempted long ball / short pass split in the league this season according to whoscored.com. A long ball is recorded as a pass exceeding 25 yards.

Porteous - 21% / 79%
Newell - 15% / 85%

hibsbollah
27-12-2022, 09:14 AM
Attempted long ball / short pass split in the league this season according to whoscored.com. A long ball is recorded as a pass exceeding 25 yards.

Porteous - 21% / 79%
Newell - 15% / 85%

Not surprising really. Probably tells us more about the positions they play and what their jobs are than the individual choices they make.

Allant1981
27-12-2022, 09:33 AM

Porteous into midfield made sense from the context of playing Livvy. You can’t think of a more different opponent than Celtc, Calum McGregor gives a different problem, so it’s unlikely it would have happened again anyway.

Think he will stick with RP in midfield until we get a decent DM signed, kenneh isn't any good, JDH still injured, newell isn't a DM, Campbell is better going forward so doesn't leave any real option at the moment, Stevenson perhaps but if that was going to happen it would have been a few games ago

hibsbollah
27-12-2022, 09:40 AM
Think he will stick with RP in midfield until we get a decent DM signed, kenneh isn't any good, JDH still injured, newell isn't a DM, Campbell is better going forward so doesn't leave any real option at the moment, Stevenson perhaps but if that was going to happen it would have been a few games ago

After the 6-1 mauling in October he’s definitely going to have his mind on being solid and hard to breakdown. I’d forgotten he started with Kukharevych Boyle and McKirdy…

Gmack7
27-12-2022, 09:52 AM
Has porteous suspension been confirmed? sorry to ask the same question as the OP

Sir David Gray
27-12-2022, 12:18 PM
Has porteous suspension been confirmed? sorry to ask the same question as the OP

He's definitely suspended for the league game at Tynecastle.

His booking at Ibrox took him over the points threshold.

Billy Whizz
27-12-2022, 01:20 PM

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=92356

On 7 League bookings now after Saturdays one. SFA player suspension list not been updated since he got his booking, but it was reported elsewhere

Sir David Gray
27-12-2022, 01:40 PM
https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=92356

On 7 League bookings now after Saturdays one. SFA player suspension list not been updated since he got his booking, but it was reported elsewhere

Correct, six bookings results in a one match suspension which is applied 14 days after the sixth booking occurs.

JimBHibees
27-12-2022, 08:40 PM

Got to be said an absolute horrific yellow imo

BILLYHIBS
28-12-2022, 06:28 AM

Been going on for 60 years unfortunately makes you wonder if the SFA is corrupt ?

They only recruit their Refs from the same wee villages in the West of Scotland :greengrin

green day
28-12-2022, 07:15 AM

It was, but it wasnt that yellow that got him a ban it was the accumulation of points.

Its odd, because Porteous has never been a "dirty" defender but it feels like he has racked up points quite rapidly over the last couple of seasons.