PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Livi, is it a must win game ?

greenpaper55
23-12-2022, 08:31 AM
Lose this and it’s one win in god knows how many ? Real pressure on the manager to get a result against a team with far fewer resources than us.

CapitalGreen
23-12-2022, 08:35 AM
Lose this and it’s one win in god knows how many ? Real pressure on the manager to get a result against a team with far fewer resources than us.

What competitive games aren’t must win? Do we regularly go into other mid season games thinking we don’t need to win them?

bingo70
23-12-2022, 08:38 AM

Yes, I think it is.

Clearly from a mathematical perspective nothing will be decided either way tomorrow but from a momentum point of view and for LJ keeping his job, we really need a win tomorrow.

B.H.F.C
23-12-2022, 08:39 AM
What competitive games aren’t must win? Do we regularly go into other mid season games thinking we don’t need to win them?

There are games that take on extra significance though, depending on circumstances. This is definitely one. There’s always some kind of breaking point and LJ, in particular, is very close to it without a win tomorrow given current form and the two games to follow.

Brightside
23-12-2022, 08:55 AM
15/4 Livi.

Johnny_Leith
23-12-2022, 08:57 AM
15/4 Livi.

I think they've beaten us the last 4 times we've played? So they're great odds, never even mind the run we are on.

Since452
23-12-2022, 08:58 AM
It's a gigantic game. If we lose with Celtic and Hearts next it could be hard to come back from for the manager and he'll be fully aware of that. I can see another defeat sadly. Honking record against them. Martindale has us sussed.

Stubbsy90+2
23-12-2022, 09:00 AM
It's a gigantic game. If we lose with Celtic and Hearts next it could be hard to come back from for the manager and he'll be fully aware of that. I can see another defeat sadly. Honking record against them. Martindale has us sussed.

It’s Celtic next.

Scotty Leither
23-12-2022, 09:10 AM
Imagine Livingston beating us 4 times in a row.

Danderhall Hibs
23-12-2022, 09:23 AM
Imagine Livingston beating us 4 times in a row.

Ok - I’ve done that. What do I do now?

HH81
23-12-2022, 09:24 AM
Ok - I’ve done that. What do I do now?

Pray it's not 5.

Danderhall Hibs
23-12-2022, 09:25 AM
Pray it's not 5.

I’ve decided to skip a step and pray it’s not 4.

Key West
23-12-2022, 09:40 AM
With players coming back the performance as much as the result will be a big factor in wether we are heading in the right or wrong direction. A must win just heaps more pressure on everyone.

Carheenlea
23-12-2022, 10:30 AM
Looking at the next few fixtures tomorrow is one that nothing less than a win should be desired.

Score first, get the fans onside and I reckon we will win tomorrow quite comfortably. Well overdue a decent outing and don’t have any evidence to support that view other than the law of averages at some point seeing us win a game in the midst of this awful run.

If we do lose it’s one that might not attract as much scrutiny as it may otherwise see given Christmas and family taking centre stage over weekend. The biggest danger is fans just starting to lose interest.

DIXIHIBS
23-12-2022, 10:50 AM
Looking at the next few fixtures tomorrow is one that nothing less than a win should be desired.

Score first, get the fans onside and I reckon we will win tomorrow quite comfortably. Well overdue a decent outing and don’t have any evidence to support that view other than the law of averages at some point seeing us win a game in the midst of this awful run.

If we do lose it’s one that might not attract as much scrutiny as it may otherwise see given Christmas and family taking centre stage over weekend. The biggest danger is fans just starting to lose interest.

Seems like the fans are already losing interest. When you see as many season ticket holders not turning up as seems to be the case right now, we have a problem. Huge disconnect with fans/club at the moment.

coldingham hibs
23-12-2022, 10:52 AM

Everyone has us sussed, just cross a ball into our box.

Hibees1973
23-12-2022, 10:58 AM
Must win...why?

If we lose what would happen. Very little I expect in the short term.

If given the choice to lose the game which would result in Ron accepting an offer for the club from a competent and coherent owner, his son squirming back to the USA and us appointing a qualified Chief of Recruitment and also Kensall going, I would take the hit and lose 3 points tomorrow.

The likelihood tomorrow it will be another disjointed performance with us picking up a maximum 1 point, then stumbling on blindly to the next game against Celtic.

My ire would not be pointed a Johnson if we do not win tomorrow, even though I think he is clueless.

HFC93
23-12-2022, 11:11 AM
Yes.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
23-12-2022, 11:19 AM
Strangely looking forward to the game tomorrow. Seems like ages since I’ve been to a league game at ER

bigwheel
23-12-2022, 11:22 AM
Strangely looking forward to the game tomorrow. Seems like ages since I’ve been to a league game at ER

So am I Bill. Seeing friends , game of football..great Xmas Eve activity ..

B.H.F.C
23-12-2022, 11:42 AM
Must win...why?

If we lose what would happen. Very little I expect in the short term.

If given the choice to lose the game which would result in Ron accepting an offer for the club from a competent and coherent owner, his son squirming back to the USA and us appointing a qualified Chief of Recruitment and also Kensall going, I would take the hit and lose 3 points tomorrow.

The likelihood tomorrow it will be another disjointed performance with us picking up a maximum 1 point, then stumbling on blindly to the next game against Celtic.

My ire would not be pointed a Johnson if we do not win tomorrow, even though I think he is clueless.

On the basis that none of your wishes are going to come true on the back of tomorrow, surely you’d have to acknowledge that this is a massive game for us. Not because it’s going to spark some kind of monumental change at the club, but from the point of view that we need to put some points on the board. This is our best chance of doing so over the festive period.

GreenCastle
23-12-2022, 11:56 AM
If we lose tomorrow we don’t get relegated but the 2nd loss to Livi and the 5th loss in a row would be unacceptable.

Add in the current poor run of form we are on and Celtic and Hearts next then we are seriously failing.

Xmas eve game or not I would expect fans to be seriously pissed off if they attend tomorrow and Hibs lose.

JamesHFC
23-12-2022, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure how LJ survives another defeat tomorrow. Here's hoping it's a win and we can have a happy hibee Christmas.

Pretty Boy
23-12-2022, 12:22 PM
I just can't see it being a pretty game regardless of the result. A win would be welcome but I'm sceptical a scrappy 1-0 really does much for Johnson, lose to Celtic and Hearts and a win v Livi isn't going to be particularly persuasive mitigation. You can't fault the job Martindale has done but Livingston are a really hard watch. I can see frustrations from players and fans alike creeping in early doors.

It is a must win (in practice if not mathematicaly) but I almost think it's bordering on a 'must win with a good performance'.

Basildon Hibs
23-12-2022, 12:25 PM
I just can't see it being a pretty game regardless of the result. A win would be welcome but I'm sceptical a scrappy 1-0 really does much for Johnson, lose to Celtic and Hearts and a win v Livi isn't going to be particularly persuasive mitigation. You can't fault the job Martindale has done but Livingston are a really hard watch. I can see frustrations from players and fans alike creeping in early doors.

It is a must win (in practice if not mathematicaly) but I almost think it's bordering on a 'must win with a good performance'.

Deffo a must win for LJ or I reckon he'll be sacked.

B.H.F.C
23-12-2022, 12:31 PM

Longer term I agree in that I don’t think it does much for Johnson. I don’t think a win is going to transform our fortunes dramatically. I just think we really need the points to get a bit more breathing space on the sides below us. Realistically, I don’t see us picking much up in the two games to follow so no win tomorrow would have us right in the relegation mix early in the new year.

JimBHibees
23-12-2022, 12:32 PM

Livingston dont do pretty games however only lost 2 1 to Celtic including an own goal so definitely a difficult game. Get ahead of them and it opens up the match.

Broken Gnome
23-12-2022, 12:32 PM

I think we need a bit of pragmatism, and folk should be wise enough of Livingston now to be realistic about things. It is pretty rare for Hibs to play well against Livingston,home or away, and the odds don't really suggest tomorrow will be one of the better displays.

I think 1-0/2-1 coming out on top after a battle would be a brilliant result, all things considered. Fans need to suck that up a bit, it's likely going to be a struggle. Don't care about how demeaning or unpalatable that might be, it's where we are.

He gets away with a point - stopping the rot if nothing else - if we play well and pick up either two or three points from Celtic/Hearts.

judas
23-12-2022, 12:38 PM

For Hibs, no. For LJ, yes.

CMac1988
23-12-2022, 12:48 PM
Yes. But so were the games against the bottom three before the world cup. Win or lose **** needs to change and fast.

bingo70
23-12-2022, 12:57 PM
Livingston dont do pretty games however only lost 2 1 to Celtic including an own goal so definitely a difficult game. Get ahead of them and it opens up the match.

I watched the second half of their game against Celtic the other night and they looked a nightmare to play against.

They’ll defend deep, giving no space to work with, they’ll scrap for every ball, work harder than most teams and make it very very difficult for the footballers to play (not that we’ve got many of them just now to be honest), at the other end they never offered anything against Celtic in the second half but we know how it works against us. They’ll be physical, direct and ruthless with the chances they do get.

Not going to be a pretty game at all and I fear it’s a pretty horrible fixture for us to get just now as they’ll take advantage of any vulnerabilities.

I think it’ll be a draw.

Billy Whizz
23-12-2022, 01:17 PM
Has LJ done his presser yet? Haven’t seen/read any pre match comments from him or the players

Tarrahib
23-12-2022, 01:26 PM
We have decided to travel down for the game. Get the bus home at 5 pm.VAR permitting.

Diclonius
23-12-2022, 01:35 PM
If we don't win tomorrow then it isn't unthinkable that we could be bottom come the end of January.

leith lynx
23-12-2022, 02:21 PM
Has LJ done his presser yet? Haven’t seen/read any pre match comments from him or the players

Quite unusual this, as of now nothing on BBC or EEN.

bingo70
23-12-2022, 02:22 PM

Have other teams done their pre-match interviews?

ancient hibee
23-12-2022, 02:26 PM

Summary on BBC Sport since 14.53 :greengrin

Keith_M
23-12-2022, 02:44 PM
When somebody asks if a game is a 'must win', my feeling is that they need to be a bit more specific with the consequence if we don't.

e.g. 1) Must win OR we'll be relegated... 2) must win OR the manager will be sacked... 3) must win OR Santa won't deliver any presents, etc.

Anyway, here's my answers

1) Not necessarily

2) Possibly, but don;t think it's likely

3) Not sure, but I'd cry if that happens.

leith lynx
23-12-2022, 02:52 PM
Summary on BBC Sport since 14.53 :greengrin

Horse, bolt, stable door!😡

danhibees1875
23-12-2022, 02:54 PM
15/4 Livi.

No chance we'll score 4.

WhileTheChief..
23-12-2022, 02:59 PM
Nothing will change.

If we lose, it just gets added to the long list of consecutive defeats. If we win, it will likely just be a reprieve until the Celtic game!!
Would be nice going into Xmas day with the 3pts mind :snowman

MWHIBBIES
23-12-2022, 03:09 PM
No. Happy to lose this and win the next 10.

Sir David Gray
23-12-2022, 03:34 PM
Yes it's a must win game for me.

We are currently in freefall and have two of the top four teams to play after tomorrow.

If we don't win tomorrow it's quite possible we'll go into Christmas in 9th place with two of the hardest fixtures of the season up next and in serious danger of becoming embroiled in a relegation battle.

CMac1988
23-12-2022, 03:40 PM

Hibs pre match interviews are up. LJ and Youan.

https://youtu.be/dMBb3LDUr3Q

https://youtu.be/3Mnf-Zj5SkY

Scotty Leither
23-12-2022, 03:43 PM
Hibs pre match interviews are up. LJ and Youan.

Any chance of embedding the link?

Donegal Hibby
23-12-2022, 03:48 PM
I'd go along with the opinions that 3 points are a must as well though it's one of them games I hate because we all know what there game plan will be , sit in deep and try catch us on the break , I find Livingston awful to watch just the type of football that spoils a game becoming a good spectacle for the neutral , it works for them though . Hopefully we can find the right key to open there defense . Wil be tight game though imo.

Keith_M
23-12-2022, 03:51 PM

Hopefully this works for you...

blackpoolhibs
23-12-2022, 04:03 PM
I've put us down for a draw, but Livi are never a 4/1 shot, and i will have a little flutter on them at that price.

CMac1988
23-12-2022, 04:07 PM

Sorry was using the mobile site. Sorted now but Keith has reposted also.

Donegal Hibby
23-12-2022, 04:14 PM
I've put us down for a draw, but Livi are never a 4/1 shot, and i will have a little flutter on them at that price.
Et Tu , brute ? :greengrin

Scotty Leither
23-12-2022, 04:22 PM
Sorry was using the mobile site. Sorted now but Keith has reposted also.

Thanks.

Donegal Hibby
23-12-2022, 04:28 PM
Mykola hasn't made it for our game which is a blow , think we could have done with him for his physical presense.

wookie70
23-12-2022, 04:39 PM
Everyone has us sussed, just cross a ball into our box.

And we set up to allow teams to get into our third and don't pressure the crosses.

wookie70
23-12-2022, 04:41 PM
Press conference was today. Youan and Hanlon were teh players interviewed going by the images.

Basildon Hibs
23-12-2022, 06:26 PM
I'm not sure how LJ survives another defeat tomorrow. Here's hoping it's a win and we can have a happy hibee Christmas.

He should be toast if we lose.

Carheenlea
23-12-2022, 06:35 PM
Our problems run deeper than LJ, and sacking him if we lose tomorrow doesn’t really change an awful lot regardless of who is brought in to replace him if the same structure behind the scenes remains.

Would be a sacking for sackings sake. There comes a time when you have to ask why managers are continuing to fail.

Onion
23-12-2022, 07:28 PM
Our problems run deeper than LJ, and sacking him if we lose tomorrow doesn’t really change an awful lot regardless of who is brought in to replace him if the same structure behind the scenes remains.

Would be a sacking for sackings sake. There comes a time when you have to ask why managers are continuing to fail.

Agreed, which is why LJ is untouchable. Not a chance he'll will be sacked anytime soon, even if we get dragged into another relegation dog-fight. Owner & Board are a cluster-****. Even if they recognise the problems with recruitment, direction, strategy, they have zero collective competence to do anything about it.

A rudderless ship, holed beneath the water line. Otherwise, every thing is fine :greengrin

Key West
23-12-2022, 07:29 PM

Best post so far.

LunasBoots
23-12-2022, 07:38 PM
Yes, we tend to slip in the second half of seasons so for me we are in worrying times

Eyrie
23-12-2022, 09:25 PM

Correct.

If Johnson is a failure, then do we really want the people who appointed two failures in a row appointing the next manager? There has to be change higher up first.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-12-2022, 10:17 PM
Although we badly need a win and points, I think that the performance matters more. Hopefully we get 90 minutes of what we saw in the first 45 at Ibrox. That should see us get the three points.

Stuart93
23-12-2022, 10:28 PM
I’m going to be having nightmares tonight of Nouble bullying Hanlon tomorrow

Ronniekirk
23-12-2022, 10:31 PM
When I looked at the first four fixtures after the World Cup break my gut feeling was we could loose them all The must win games come after this But anything we can take v Livi would be welcome

Sir David Gray
23-12-2022, 10:52 PM
Yes, we tend to slip in the second half of seasons so for me we are in worrying times

I wanted to see how accurate that actually was and sadly it does seem quite true.

With the exception of 19/20, in the seasons where we have been in the top flight we have only had a better second half to the season twice since 2011/12 and in one of these seasons (11/12) we only had 14 points from our first 19 games.

Incidentally if we lose tomorrow we'll have the lowest points tally at the half way stage out of any top flight season since 2011/12.

21/22

first half (26)
second half (19)

20/21

first half (36)
second half (27)

18/19

first half (28)
second half (26)

17/18

first half (30)
second half (37)

13/14

first half (24)
second half (11)

12/13

first half (28)
second half (23)

11/12

first half (14)
second half (19)

HH81
24-12-2022, 05:44 AM
Wish Hibs had have put this on PPV. Seems a good idea considering Xmas eve.

allezsauzee
24-12-2022, 06:50 AM
We need at least 1 win from the next 3 games I reckon or Lee Johnson is likely to get punted and this is the most winnable. Our recruitment in January is much more important in terms of avoiding relegation but 3 points today would at least give us and LJ a bit of breathing space.

Alfred E Newman
24-12-2022, 07:06 AM
Wish Hibs had have put this on PPV. Seems a good idea considering Xmas eve.

I wish the SPL had used common sense and scheduled this weekends fixtures for Boxing Day.

HH81
24-12-2022, 07:51 AM
I wish the SPL had used common sense and scheduled this weekends fixtures for Boxing Day.

True. I'd have actually drove up for it.

GreenCastle
29-12-2022, 09:37 AM
Is the Derby now a must win for LJ ?

I know many fans will say they would take a draw but he needs an important win for credit in the bank. Some fans think 2 derby games and then judge but do we wait ?!

Lose it and 3rd is gone (it’s gone already in my opinion).
Hearts would be 8 points ahead with a game in hand.

Transfer window opens soon - is he trusted with bringing players in or do we give a new manager a chance to build for next season ?

WhileTheChief..
29-12-2022, 09:39 AM
Lose the 2 derbies then make the change is my bet.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2022, 09:44 AM
Is the Derby now a must win for LJ ?

I know many fans will say they would take a draw but he needs an important win for credit in the bank. Some fans think 2 derby games and then judge but do we wait ?!

Lose it and 3rd is gone (it’s gone already in my opinion).
Hearts would be 8 points ahead with a game in hand.

Transfer window opens soon - is he trusted with bringing players in or do we give a new manager a chance to build for next season ?

Depends what happens in between the two derbies against Motherwell and Dundee Utd as well. I think he would survive a defeat on Monday (unless it’s a hammering) but things can’t just go on indefinitely, irrespective of how many other issues we have.

Carheenlea
29-12-2022, 09:52 AM
Lose the 2 derbies then make the change is my bet.

Needs to win one of them to continue on I think. If we lose the first one we might see the change being made before the next one.

I’d be inclined to look beyond simply the manager for making changes first though.

B.H.F.C
29-12-2022, 09:58 AM
Needs to win one of them to continue on I think. If we lose the first one we might see the change being made before the next one.

I’d be inclined to look beyond simply the manager for making changes first though.

Agree with the last sentence but don’t see anything beyond the manager being changed.

Mikey_1875
29-12-2022, 10:23 AM
It would probably tip the scales for me personally. Too many undelivered ideas from the start of the season (or even prospect of them being delivered). That has all disappeared now and we are left with a gradually less convincing argument that he knows what is wrong and needs multiple windows to fix it.

Far from the only thing wrong with us currently but needs to take a fair share of the blame.

Not sure how the club will see it but I’d guess it would need to be a heavy defeat and performance for him to be sacked straight away. If we did lose the derby suddenly the two games that follow look pretty big to avoid being dragged in completely.