PDA

View Full Version : Expenditure zero?

tonyrougier123
20-12-2022, 07:25 AM
Click bait type thread but a wee look on transfer market sees us with an expenditure on player trading sitting at £0.

Now I know we spend on fees and mckirdy cost money possibly rocky as well,Boyle transfer was more a settlement than an actual transfer of such.

It’s time we stepped up as supporters to ask where the funds are going,signing fees for youngsters but the first team in real trouble.

It can’t be said a fair few supporters were not dubious to say the least in the summer, and so far it’s not great.

January needs to be money spent on talent and duds released pronto and the Gordon’s need to really shake up the football department instead of papering over the cracks and back Johnson (if he’s their man) so we can get a decent side on the park for a club the size of Hibernian. Enough of the excuses and apologists.

Time for the Gordon’s to concentrate on football as that is what we are a football club first and foremost.

If the owners are clueless about the game?? get a football man in to oversee that not a rag tag set up to fail(as we are now) the fans are telling you it’s not working,the results are telling you it’s not working, your manager is telling you the signings aren’t good enough to “penetrate the first team”

Hibs could be such a vibrant bouncing club if you’d just listen to the support and read the warning signs so evident in our displays.

And most of all money needs to be spent in order to achieve our goals.

Foundations need to be laid now and contingency plans put in place to sort this squad out,with key player/players set to leave that void will need filled with quality and only money and good scouting can achieve that.

Big month to see what’s what at the club and again a January window in limbo! Not good enough.

Unseen work
20-12-2022, 07:49 AM
We have spent money on players, especially over the past 12 months.

The issue is buying players for money doesn’t necessarily mean you are guaranteed good players.

Look at who we’ve got for free/out of contract in McGeady and Marshall and the quality they have. Then hearts with guys like Kingsley, Mackay etc.

We’ve spent money on players like James Collins before who was brutal.

I get everyone seems to want a DoF but it just seems to be a modern thing that everyone thinks is a must have, there is 0 information to say whoever we would get would be any good. Despite being a ‘football person’ they could still be clueless about who they want in, the required quality or have a bias towards certain people.

People can say a lot about Ron Gordon, but one thing I don’t think they can criticise him of is not spending money. If the money is being used in the best possible way is another story.

Is It On....
20-12-2022, 08:20 AM
We have signed a large number of players and had 3 managers since Mathie was replaced as Head of Recruitment. The problem is that the players signed have not had the desired impact on the 1st team.

CapitalGreen
20-12-2022, 08:44 AM
We have signed a large number of players and had 3 managers since Mathie was replaced as Head of Recruitment. The problem is that the players signed have not had the desired impact on the 1st team.

We signed a large number of players and appointed poor managers in the period before Mathie was replaced as Head of Recruitment too.

Stuart93
20-12-2022, 10:29 AM
We’ve spent a lot of money on the football side of things I reckon. Just the majority of what has been spent has been a complete waste.

The recruitment reminds me of hearts pre relegation/joe savage. Spending money but still having a huge turnover of players

Hibs4185
20-12-2022, 11:15 AM
Dempster talked about having a system so that if the manager left then there was still stability at the club. You need the right people in he right positions and at the moment I’m not sure we have that.

I’m not an Ian Gordon basher but with Mathie and Craig, you knew their roles and what they were responsible for. A clear structure with good people.

They have left and perhaps it was time for fresh faces but we need someone who can put their stamp on the club rather than continually implementing new ideas and trends.

RG should be applauded for what he’s trying to do but there’s not point rushing to build something if the foundations aren’t strong.

I’m not saying being Dempster back or suggesting Alan Burrows at Motherwell, but we need someone who can stamp their authority and bring stability to the football department.

hibsforeurope
20-12-2022, 11:48 AM
We have spent money on players, especially over the past 12 months.

The issue is buying players for money doesn’t necessarily mean you are guaranteed good players.

Look at who we’ve got for free/out of contract in McGeady and Marshall and the quality they have. Then hearts with guys like Kingsley, Mackay etc.

We’ve spent money on players like James Collins before who was brutal.

I get everyone seems to want a DoF but it just seems to be a modern thing that everyone thinks is a must have, there is 0 information to say whoever we would get would be any good. Despite being a ‘football person’ they could still be clueless about who they want in, the required quality or have a bias towards certain people.

People can say a lot about Ron Gordon, but one thing I don’t think they can criticise him of is not spending money. If the money is being used in the best possible way is another story.

I think the issue is not lack of spending on transfers but we have brought in £3m plus for Doig, anywhere between £6-900K for Boyle by the time you take in to account the buy back and future fees etc. I hope that the signings we've made so far have not used up the Boyle money let alone touched the Doig transfer fee.

A DOF may be a modern thing but in the past a club would have a manager with a contact book and a scouting network physically on the ground watching players, this seems to be a thing of the past now (so were told). If the Owner and CEO are not clued up on football matters they need to employ either a DOF or give the manager full control of signings, we don't seem to have done either.

Scotty Leither
20-12-2022, 12:10 PM
So like our previous regimes there appears to be zero risk attached to recruitment. We’ll be a net gainer and then some with Boyle, and if we’ve spent a tenth of the Doig money I’ll be very surprised.

Nae “ponying up” at Easter Road apart of course from the fans.

Frazerbob
20-12-2022, 12:30 PM
So like our previous regimes there appears to be zero risk attached to recruitment. We’ll be a net gainer and then some with Boyle, and if we’ve spent a tenth of the Doig money I’ll be very surprised.

Did Ron Gordon not pay for the stadium & hospitality improvements, which are generating funds. The figure I was told for the hospitality refurbs was £1.5m, with the FF stand to come. From my view point, the board has backed our manager financially more than at any time since possibly Big Eck….which nearly bankrupted us. Just a pity the standard of player is nothing like Eck’s time.

matty_f
20-12-2022, 12:34 PM

I'm not sure how you can spend so long calling signings "punts" then at the same time describe it as zero risk? Surely, by definition, a punt is a risk?

hibsforeurope
20-12-2022, 12:41 PM
Did Ron Gordon not pay for the stadium & hospitality improvements, which are generating funds. The figure I was told for the hospitality refurbs was £1.5m, with the FF stand to come. From my view point, the board has backed our manager financially more than at any time since possibly Big Eck….which nearly bankrupted us. Just a pity the standard of player is nothing like Eck’s time.

The hospitality was initially coming from the Boyle money, until he re-signed, we have taken out a loan to cover this cost now, plus the covid ScotGov loan. The board has released club generated funds, but haven't invested much personally since initial purchase of the club. id have preferred they hadn't spent as much until they sorted the football department out as it seems to be wasted money on the whole.

Scotty Leither
20-12-2022, 12:54 PM

The build out in the hospitality area has been financed by secured borrowing. Including the area I’ve paid for (see thread re Albion Bar) that he now appears to want to hit me up for another tenner for the Hearts game.

Scotty Leither
20-12-2022, 01:04 PM
I'm not sure how you can spend so long calling signings "punts" then at the same time describe it as zero risk? Surely, by definition, a punt is a risk?

Zero risk financially.

matty_f
20-12-2022, 01:12 PM
Zero risk financially.

We spent money on them, a lot in some cases.

tonyrougier123
20-12-2022, 01:31 PM
Who have we spent big on Matty? I’m genuinely struggling with that,especially first team signings.

Tyler Durden
20-12-2022, 01:57 PM
Who have we spent big on Matty? I’m genuinely struggling with that,especially first team signings.

In the last year we have spent fees on:

* Melkersen
* Miller
* Cabraja
* Rocky
* Mitchell
* McKirdy
* Jair

We have probably paid some sort of loan fee for Youan and maybe big Myk also. We've increased the overall size of the squad massively with bigger wages on likes of McGeady and Marshall.

Not sure why people cannot see that our wage bill will at a record peak and we've spent a significant amount on fees aswell.

brog
20-12-2022, 02:37 PM

* Melkersen
* Miller
* Cabraja
* Rocky
* Mitchell
* McKirdy
* Jair

We have probably paid some sort of loan fee for Youan and maybe big Myk also. We've increased the overall size of the squad massively with bigger wages on likes of McGeady and Marshall.

Not sure why people cannot see that our wage bill will at a record peak and we've spent a significant amount on fees aswell.

Saved me a lengthy post, thanks. You can also add signing on fees to that, notably for Marshall and McGeady

matty_f
20-12-2022, 04:16 PM

* Melkersen
* Miller
* Cabraja
* Rocky
* Mitchell
* McKirdy
* Jair

Martin Boyle's not cheap either.

matty_f
20-12-2022, 04:17 PM

* Melkersen
* Miller
* Cabraja
* Rocky
* Mitchell
* McKirdy
* Jair

Going back a wee bit bit both Tait and Mackay were six figure fees.

Jones28
20-12-2022, 04:34 PM
Did we pay a fee for Haugue?

CapitalGreen
20-12-2022, 04:59 PM
Dempster talked about having a system so that if the manager left then there was still stability at the club. You need the right people in he right positions and at the moment I’m not sure we have that.

I’m not an Ian Gordon basher but with Mathie and Craig, you knew their roles and what they were responsible for. A clear structure with good people.

They have left and perhaps it was time for fresh faces but we need someone who can put their stamp on the club rather than continually implementing new ideas and trends.

RG should be applauded for what he’s trying to do but there’s not point rushing to build something if the foundations aren’t strong.

I’m not saying being Dempster back or suggesting Alan Burrows at Motherwell, but we need someone who can stamp their authority and bring stability to the football department.

She could certainly talk. In reality though, Lennon left and was replaced by his polar opposite in playing style in Paul Heckingbottom (after a shambolic recruitment process). The transfer window we spent without a manger saw 6 players arrive, none of whom were still with us at the start of the following season. To suggest there was actually a system in place which provided stability when a manager left is nonsense.

J-C
20-12-2022, 05:02 PM

* Melkersen
* Miller
* Cabraja
* Rocky
* Mitchell
* McKirdy
* Jair

Some saying Cabraja and Tavares are free with sell ons but bigger wages.

tonyrougier123
20-12-2022, 07:39 PM

* Melkersen
* Miller
* Cabraja
* Rocky
* Mitchell
* McKirdy
* Jair

Miller and cabraja were free transfers,jair Tavares listed as a free also.
Matty said in his post we payed a lot for some,I’m asking where this is stated.

Rockys fee was undisclosed as was mckirdy although reports at the time suggested 400-500k.
Melkerson and Mitchell were last season also,I’m particularly interested in this seasons dealings.

Tyler Durden
20-12-2022, 07:48 PM
Miller and cabraja were free transfers,jair Tavares listed as a free also.
Matty said in his post we payed a lot for some,I’m asking where this is stated.

Rockys fee was undisclosed as was mckirdy although reports at the time suggested 400-500k.
Melkerson and Mitchell were last season also,I’m particularly interested in this seasons dealings.

For each of Cabraja, Jair and Miller the terms were undisclosed. That came directly from Hibs.

People are querying “where did the Boyle money go?” so last season is relevant.

As others have pointed out, even “frees” involve considerable outlay at times. But probably not what you want to hear

matty_f
20-12-2022, 07:57 PM
For each of Cabraja, Jair and Miller the terms were undisclosed. That came directly from Hibs.

As others have pointed out, even “frees” involve considerable outlay at times. But probably not what you want to hear

I'm told that we are running at about £500k over budget for the season after the transfer window.

Heisenberg
20-12-2022, 08:03 PM
I'm told that we are running at about £500k over budget for the season after the transfer window.

That is absolutely wild considering it has been spent on a lot of players that have made little to no impact.

tonyrougier123
20-12-2022, 08:22 PM

We didn’t pay a fee for cabraja. Reported at the time.

I don’t want to hear anything in particular just trying to understand the club at the moment.

As for frees cost money sure do,a club our size should be snapping up some of the best frees in spl with our reach,unfortunately other clubs around us seem to do this perennially better than us.

It’s also been speculated on here we pay considerably less than our direct rivals,I don’t have the figures to back that up.

Boyle transfer was a great signing no doubt,and the one true positive from the summer window. We need more of that desire to do the right thing.

Supporters saying we’ve spent big need to look at money in,I’m talking first team dealings. Then consider money out,wages are obviously higher as we’ve brought in a good few players makes sense,bigger squad bigger expenditures.

We threw a lot of mud but very little sticking.it feels some folk need to get wise as we are slipping alarmingly with no signs of improvement in football terms.

PHeffernan
20-12-2022, 08:37 PM

The way I understood it we had spent the budget and McKirdy was the overspend.
I'm guessing he was circa £350k plus signing on fee and the likes.
Also the not small matter of Boyles wages.

Stuart93
20-12-2022, 08:38 PM

Oft.

That’s a sackable offence somewhere

thebausburst
20-12-2022, 09:05 PM
The way I understood it we had spent the budget and McKirdy was the overspend.
I'm guessing he was circa £350k plus signing on fee and the likes.

If that’s true it makes you greet when you see what we’ve got for our money squad wise

Hibs4185
20-12-2022, 09:07 PM

Whilst I would normally say this is a disaster, I’d imagine it does include a hefty fee and costs for Boyle? Which was unplanned

matty_f
20-12-2022, 09:22 PM
That is absolutely wild considering it has been spent on a lot of players that have made little to no impact.

It's not that wild when you consider we'd have budgeted for a league cup run that went beyond *checks notes* the group staff before the season started. A good cup run would have offset a fair chunk of that.

matty_f
20-12-2022, 09:25 PM
Oft.

That’s a sackable offence somewhere

Where?

PHeffernan
20-12-2022, 09:32 PM
* Melkersen guessing circa £350k
* Miller a small fee
* Cabraja free with sell on %
* Rocky guessing circa £250k
* Mitchell guessing circa £150k
* McKirdy guessing circa £350k
* Jair free with high sell on %
* McKay circa £100k
* Tait circa £150k
* Hauge there was talk of £100k but I have my doubts

Big wages for Marshall, Boyle and McGeady
Loan fees for Kukharevych, Fish and Youan
Small loan fee for Bojang

So Hibs have probably spent £1.5 million on transfer fees alone in the last year

Aberdeen apparently spent £2 million last summer

Hearts spent £400k and big wages on Tefal, £350k on the midfielder they call Gio, Jorge Grant for an undisclosed fee, Toby Sibbick for an undisclosed fee, a decent loan fee for Humphries, good wages for Snodgrass

So all 3 rivals spending big cash these days

Stuart93
20-12-2022, 09:42 PM
Where?

I’m not sure.

BUT SOMEWHERE

matty_f
20-12-2022, 11:55 PM
I’m not sure.

BUT SOMEWHERE

You're probably right. And I will find it.

mcfly
21-12-2022, 08:12 AM
* Melkersen guessing circa £350k
* Miller a small fee
* Cabraja free with sell on %
* Rocky guessing circa £250k
* Mitchell guessing circa £150k
* McKirdy guessing circa £350k
* Jair free with high sell on %
* McKay circa £100k
* Tait circa £150k
* Hauge there was talk of £100k but I have my doubts

Big wages for Marshall, Boyle and McGeady
Loan fees for Kukharevych, Fish and Youan
Small loan fee for Bojang

So Hibs have probably spent £1.5 million on transfer fees alone in the last year

Aberdeen apparently spent £2 million last summer

Hearts spent £400k and big wages on Tefal, £350k on the midfielder they call Gio, Jorge Grant for an undisclosed fee, Toby Sibbick for an undisclosed fee, a decent loan fee for Humphries, good wages for Snodgrass

So all 3 rivals spending big cash these days

Thing is we may have spent big money but we’ve really wasted it

How many of the above names would get into our main rivals first 11?

Recruitment has been abysmal

hibsforeurope
21-12-2022, 08:17 AM

Not many, but not surprising given the majority can't get in our team either.

PHeffernan
21-12-2022, 02:34 PM

We should be bringing in only good quality starters from now on and the projects will come out in the wash one way or another in the next 18 months.
Accordingly the job of the recruitment team should be very straight forward in the next two transfer windows.
Even getting in one good starter in January would help and another 3 or 4 permanents in the summer.

Think we are looking at 4 gone completely in January, Porteous, Bradley, Bojang and a goalkeeper with Tavares, Hauge and Melkersen going out on loan.

In the summer the following are out of contract so most, if not all, will go, McGeady, Stevenson, McGregor, Balde, Dabrowski if he doesn't go now and Coach Gray.
Loanees; Youan, Schofield, Fish and Kukharevych will return to their parent clubs.

So looking at 13 players and a coach probably moving on in the next 6 months.
Hopefully Hibs will put their 14 wages into 3 good quality starters of a Marshall, Magennis, Nisbet level.

The projects, development players and loan players will all be 9 months older, stronger and more experienced when next season starts so some of them will be starting or in the match day squad. Bushiri and Campbell are good examples of how quickly young players can improve.

Hopefully the vast majority of our supporters can keep it together beyond the Hearts Cup game.
I see us beating the duffers for the rest of the season and finishing 5th.
Hopefully Boyler and Tait will be the only ones sharing the treatment room for the rest of the season.
Looking forward to winning at Easter Road on Saturday before the two difficult fixtures that follow.