PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 15 12 22)

Jonnyboy
15-12-2022, 10:29 PM
I’ve enjoyed the World Cup and am very much looking forward to the final but, I’ll be honest, I’m glad Hibs are back up and running again. Despite the poor form in the last seven games, I still look forward to watching those green and white strips in action.

It’s difficult to imagine that we could have faced a tougher opening fixture after the World Cup break than to face the Rangers at Ibrox. They had a new manager and a sell-out crowd, so it was going to be interesting to see how Lee Johnson’s men approached the game. Prior to kick off the starting eleven was announced and I struggled to make sense of it if truth be told. We seemed to have a helluva lot of centre backs listed but all became clear when Ryan Porteous took up a position in the centre of midfield. I’m assuming Johnson wanted Hibs to have more of a physical presence in the middle of the park and Ryan certainly offers that. He can also ping a decent pass, is good in the air and is mobile enough to get around the pitch. I thought it worked for the most part but more on Ryan later.

Hibs started very brightly and Youan tested McGregor with a dipping effort that the keeper had to tip over the bar. From the resultant corner, delivered by Joe Newell, Porteous found himself in acres of space inside the six yard box and rose unopposed to hammer a header beyond the helpless McGregor. What a start, eight minutes gone, and Hibs were leading at Ibrox. The home side looked rattled and just a few minutes later, Porteous smashed a shot just over the bar under challenge from Tillman.

The Rangers fans were getting restless but were soon cheering as their side drew level on the quarter hour. A very poor headed clearance from Paul Hanlon went straight to a Rangers player and from there the ball was worked across the edge of our box to Sakala who drove a low shot through the legs of both Cadden and Bushiri, past Marshall and in to the far corner. SKY TV were showing Johnson’s reaction to this set back and he was clearly having a go at Hanlon for the weak header. Meanwhile, the main camera turned up just in time to see Kevin Nisbet smash in a second goal for Hibs, just 53 seconds after Sakala had levelled. The home fans were stunned and so was I to be fair! The Hibs fans in the stadium were over the moon.

The hosts were stung and for a period they looked very nervous on the ball, especially at the back but of course they still pressed forward when they could, and Morelos should have done better than to fire a Ryan Kent pass well over the bar. Soon after, the portly Columbian fouled Cadden after the ball had gone but referee Nick Walsh didn’t see much wrong with that. On the half hour, a superb through ball from Porteous set Josh Campbell free and Josh was so very unlucky when his left footed strike beat McGregor but hit the outside of the post and then the side netting. Had that gone in, Hibs would have been leading 3-1 and the home fans would have been right on their backs.

Shots in quick succession from Tavernier and Kamara were both blocked before they could trouble Marshall and then Nick Walsh decided to book Kyle Magennis for a challenge very similar to one committed by Tillman earlier in the game. Tillman escaped punishment. The home fans were growing more and more restless, and the home players were joining in by rushing everything with Sakala and Lundstrom seeing their efforts thwarted. Five minutes from the break, a cracking through ball from Campbell found Youan who was in one on one with the keeper, but the Hibs man shot straight at McGregor. A tame effort. With half time on the horizon, Hibs were defending well and shots from Jack, Morelos and Sands all failed to reach Marshall, let alone trouble him. The Rangers players shuffled off at half time to a chorus of boo’s and that was music to my ears, but I knew they’d get their ears bent at half time and that they’d be a different proposition in the second. What I didn’t anticipate was just how different they would be.

Let’s be honest here, Hibs were second best for the entire second half and I’m not sure I can offer good reasons why. We just never got going and whenever we won the ball, we just gave it straight back to them. We sat so deep that their half of the pitch was hardly ever in play. Such was the pressure being created, it seemed only a matter of time before they would equalise and sure enough, Hanlon let Ryan Jack get goal side of him and the Rangers man had an easy tap in from a Tillman cross. A couple of minutes later, Porteous clumsily ran into the back of Kamara and Nick Walsh couldn’t wait to get the yellow card out. It was a nothing challenge, one of many that had been committed by players on both sides without punishment, but the ref was Nick Walsh, and the ‘offender’ was Ryan Porteous – we’ve seen that movie before. Thanks to Walsh, Porteous will now miss the New Year Derby, assuming he’s still here.

It was 2-2 now and Hibs were hanging on and just a couple of minutes after that booking, Rangers took the lead. Once again Hanlon lost his man as Tillman left him for dead before squaring the ball to Morelos who increased his number of goals against Hibs to ten. It was sickening but entirely predictable. I sat there wondering what Lee Johnson could do to get us back in the game and given we struggled until the end it seems clear he was also sitting there wondering what he could do.

With around twenty minutes left, Magennis was replaced by Melkersen, but the lad saw little of the ball because it was mainly in the Hibs final third. I could list all the attempts they made to score again but it depresses me just to think about that! Ten minutes to go and a tiring Kevin Nisbet was replaced by Aiden McGeady, and you can imagine the welcome he got from the Govan Loyal. With four minutes left, Hibs replaced Cadden, Hanlon and Cabraja with McKirdy, Henderson and Stevenson. Why, I’m not so sure as they had little chance to make any positive difference.

The players

Marshall – Little or no chance with any of the goals.

Cadden – I felt for him at times because he was left with no support when facing the duo of Kent and Devine.

Rocky – Tonight, Rocky was just that, rocky.

Hanlon – Culpable at all three goals tells its own story.

Cabraja – Poor tonight and hit another one of his shanked crosses that threatened the upper tier patrons in the Broomloan Stand.

Magennis – Put in a great shift and will be the better for those minutes in his legs.

Porteous – Seems strange writing what I thought of Ryan in midfield but over the piece I thought he was fine. A couple of wayward passes but also a good few pinpoint passes. His Sauzee at Tynecastle charge down the pitch after he scored was memorable because he was clearly signalling to the fans that they should tell him now what they thought of him leaving.

Newell – Great corner for the opening goal and whilst we were on top, he was playing really well but as soon as Rangers started to take control he did his disappearing act again.

Youan – I’ve no idea how he lasted ninety minutes. Seems scared of the physical stuff and should have buried his one on one chance.

Campbell – Josh is not everyone’s cup of tea, which is fair enough, but he was the best Hibs man on the park tonight in my opinion.

Nisbet – Took his goal brilliantly, did very well in the air and looks like he’s out to show us all what we’ve been missing.

Melkersen – Arrived when we were pinned inside our own 18 yard box and saw little of the ball as a consequence.

McGeady – Hauled down by Scott Arfield as he looked to break free – welcome back to Scottish football Aiden.

McKirdy – Ran about a lot but too little time to help make a positive difference.

Henderson – Four passes, only one reached a team mate.

Stevenson – Booked after two challenges!

Lee Johnson – Strangely, I guess he’ll be mostly happy with what he saw tonight. We certainly didn’t get the horsing some were predicting, and we held our own for most of the first half but games last 90 minutes, so he needs to elongate the positivity.

Referee – Nick Walsh. I can’t be bothered discussing him, he’s just a typical grade one Scottish referee

CMac1988
15-12-2022, 10:43 PM
I’ve enjoyed the World Cup and am very much looking forward to the final but, I’ll be honest, I’m glad Hibs are back up and running again. Despite the poor form in the last seven games, I still look forward to watching those green and white strips in action...

Cheers Jonny. As always agree for the most part. Felt Cadden was poor though and did get a lot of support from Magennis. On the other side of the pitch Cabraja was struggling and should have subbed long before he was. In fairness he was given NO protection from Youan all game.

bigwheel
15-12-2022, 10:46 PM
My regular favourite read ….thanks J

I’m going to likely be the only one , but I didn’t think Hanlon did much wrong at their third goal
..he was just beaten by some great footwork ..it happens…

Stonewall
15-12-2022, 11:05 PM
Did you mean Rocky was rocky or Rocky was a rock? If the former I’m going to have to watch that game again before replying and I’m really not happy about that because it’s really not what I thought and I need to put the performance to bed.

Carheenlea
15-12-2022, 11:17 PM
Really disappointed in how Cabraja started with huge promise with us - looked a real upgrade in that position but has regressed to very average (at best) fare.

Joe Newell just doesn’t cut it. An ever present in a key area and if we are going to be serious about challenging in the top half of the league we need to find a much better player for centre midfield.

We did look very lively going forward in first half and those balls over the top were causing Rangers a lot of problems. Rangers enjoying most of the ball second half meant we were always going to struggle to hold on to our lead and there was a sense of inevitability that we conceded twice to leave with nothing.

While I thought our bench looked pretty decent on paper, the reality is that a lot of those players really just aren’t at the level we need to match what should be our standards. It was a tough game to return from break and Livingston in some ways is probably more important right now. We need a win, but also a decent showing to give the supporters some confidence that we can turn this miserable run of form around.

Liberal Hibby
15-12-2022, 11:40 PM
Decent report as usual Jonny but I'm a bit jaundiced as I missed the first half hour and just saw us capitulate minute by minute.

Johnson needs to shoulder a large amount of blame for not shaking things up at half time - it was clear how the match was going by then (and Rangers were always going to come out all guns blazing after HT). Not to try and disrupt this with either a change of players or tactics was a criminal waste of an unexpected opportunity. Johnson really needs a result v Ferranti Thistle now or we're staring a relegation battle in the face (and there's precious little sign of battling in the squad).

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2022, 12:18 AM
What can you say about that game. In the first half we created 4 chances and earned a load of corners and scored two goals, you didn't have to be bloody Pep Guardiola to work out where the The Rangers weak point was, so why after half time did we just sit back and allow them total control of the ball.

So far as I'm concerned we totally blew that game by failing to take the game to them after half time and I'm not having it that their great play forced Hibs back into our own half for practically the whole of the second half period, they just aren't good enough to do that .... we allowed them to by totally failing to pressure them high up the park. I lost count of the number of balls they got into our box from both sides of the park.

Marshall ..... Pretty well no chance with either goal, easily dealt with some long range shots and made one decent save from a header.

Cadden .... Tried manfully to get forward in the first half, hasn't got the pace to beat a man and if he's a defender I'm Lionel Messi.

Rocky ... Did some good stuff but had periods where he looked shaky as well, not too bad a game from him overall though.

Hanlon .... He did have one very good challenge that probably prevented a goal, but you cant feel he is far from irreplaceable given tonight's performance.

Cabraja .... Has gone from a player who looked like he might be an asset going forward to average at best, he wasn't terrible but he has to be better than he was tonight.

Magennis .... Decent first half shift, booked for nowt and far less effective second half as part of our attempt to keep the Rangers half of the pitch a Hibs free zone.

Newell .... Another one who contributed little or nothing after half time.

Porteous .... Scored so fair play to him and did ok as a midfield player, apart from one pass aimed at an area of the pitch there wasn't a team mate within 20 yards of, f' knows what that was about. Is this where we're at now, about a hundred players on the books and playing centre halves in midfield.

Campbell .... I entirely agree with the OP the guy was everywhere and comes close to being my man of the match.

Youan .... A good effort at the start that was a foot higher away from being a great goal, followed by extremely poor effort one on one that could have made a draw the least we would have got out of that game, I'm raging at him about it, but in the end even the best players can screw up chances like that. But what I can't come to terms with is that the guy has the heart of a jellyfish, if he dodged one challenge he dodged 10 both on the ground and in the air and some of them weren't even 50/50 ..... If he never pulls on a Hibs shirt again it'll be too soon ... I can stand a lack of talent, I can stand a poor game, but never a lack of effort, or worse, guts. How the hell he was allowed to stay on for 90 minutes only LJ can explain.

Nisbet ... My MOM ... Took his goal really well and worked hard for the whole time he was on winning more than his fair share of headers. He was totally and utterly let down by an absolute failure by the whole team to take the game to them in the second half meaning he had absolutely no support even when he was able to get to the ball in front of a defender. For his first game after such a long time out he was outstanding and one of the few positives from the game.

SUBS:

Melkersen ... Did his best, but our lack of forward momentum didn't afford him much opportunity to do a lot.

McGeady ... Why the hell LJ waited until the 79th minute to bring him on for Nisbet when he could have replaced the totally ineffective Youan after about 15 minutes of the 2nd half starting is anybodies guess, he actually looked quite dangerous when he came on and would have given their defence something to think about if we had gotten the ball to him.

Stevenson .... two challenges, one booking, that's it.

Henderson ... Apart from one pathetic attempt at what I presume was supposed to be a shot, nothing else to say.

McKirdy .... Ran about like a loony trying to close them down, so fair play to him for that. But like Henderson and Stevenson, what impact he was supposed to have on the game being brought on with 4 minutes of normal time to go is anybody's guess.

The Manager. After about 10 minutes of the second half he should have been standing a foot on the pitch screaming at his team to press up the pitch and if they wouldn't, or couldn't, affecting changes that would have enabled us to do so. It was clear to a blind man we were not going to be able to preserve a one goal lead with the amount of ball they were getting into the box from both sides of the pitch as we allowed them to get in and around our box practically unopposed until they were 25 yards out. If our approach in the 2nd half was his idea of a tactic it was an utterly utterly **** one.

The Ref .... His failure to book Morelos was an utter cop out and if he didn't see their hand ball in the box VAR surely must have, it was a penalty all day long.

BILLYHIBS
16-12-2022, 06:31 AM
What can you say about that game. In the first half we created 4 chances and earned a load of corners and scored two goals, you didn't have to be bloody Pep Guardiola to work out where the The Rangers weak point was, so why after half time did we just sit back and allow them total control of the ball.

So far as I'm concerned we totally blew that game by failing to take the game to them after half time and I'm not having it that their great play forced Hibs back into our own half for practically the whole of the second half period, they just aren't good enough to do that .... we allowed them to by totally failing to pressure them high up the park. I lost count of the number of balls they got into our box from both sides of the park.

Marshall ..... Pretty well no chance with either goal, easily dealt with some long range shots and made one decent save from a header.

Cadden .... Tried manfully to get forward in the first half, hasn't got the pace to beat a man and if he's a defender I'm Lionel Messi.

Rocky ... Did some good stuff but had periods where he looked shaky as well, not too bad a game from him overall though.

Hanlon .... He did have one very good challenge that probably prevented a goal, but you cant feel he is far from irreplaceable given tonight's performance.

Cabraja .... Has gone from a player who looked like he might be an asset going forward to average at best, he wasn't terrible but he has to be better than he was tonight.

Magennis .... Decent first half shift, booked for nowt and far less effective second half as part of our attempt to keep the Rangers half of the pitch a Hibs free zone.

Newell .... Another one who contributed little or nothing after half time.

Porteous .... Scored so fair play to him and did ok as a midfield player, apart from one pass aimed at an area of the pitch there wasn't a team mate within 20 yards of, f' knows what that was about. Is this where we're at now, about a hundred players on the books and playing centre halves in midfield.

Campbell .... I entirely agree with the OP the guy was everywhere and comes close to being my man of the match.

Youan .... A good effort at the start that was a foot higher away from being a great goal, followed by extremely poor effort one on one that could have made a draw the least we would have got out of that game, I'm raging at him about it, but in the end even the best players can screw up chances like that. But what I can't come to terms with is that the guy has the heart of a jellyfish, if he dodged one challenge he dodged 10 both on the ground and in the air and some of them weren't even 50/50 ..... If he never pulls on a Hibs shirt again it'll be too soon ... I can stand a lack of talent, I can stand a poor game, but never a lack of effort, or worse, guts. How the hell he was allowed to stay on for 90 minutes only LJ can explain.

Nisbet ... My MOM ... Took his goal really well and worked hard for the whole time he was on winning more than his fair share of headers. He was totally and utterly let down by an absolute failure by the whole team to take the game to them in the second half meaning he had absolutely no support even when he was able to get to the ball in front of a defender. For his first game after such a long time out he was outstanding and one of the few positives from the game.

SUBS:

Melkersen ... Did his best, but our lack of forward momentum didn't afford him much opportunity to do a lot.

McGeady ... Why the hell LJ waited until the 79th minute to bring him on for Nisbet when he could have replaced the totally ineffective Youan after about 15 minutes of the 2nd half starting is anybodies guess, he actually looked quite dangerous when he came on and would have given their defence something to think about if we had gotten the ball to him.

Stevenson .... two challenges, one booking, that's it.

Henderson ... Apart from one pathetic attempt at what I presume was supposed to be a shot, nothing else to say.

McKirdy .... Ran about like a loony trying to close them down, so fair play to him for that. But like Henderson and Stevenson, what impact he was supposed to have on the game being brought on with 4 minutes of normal time to go is anybody's guess.

The Manager. After about 10 minutes of the second half he should have been standing a foot on the pitch screaming at his team to press up the pitch and if they wouldn't, or couldn't, affecting changes that would have enabled us to do so. It was clear to a blind man we were not going to be able to preserve a one goal lead with the amount of ball they were getting into the box from both sides of the pitch as we allowed them to get in and around our box practically unopposed until they were 25 yards out. If our approach in the 2nd half was his idea of a tactic it was an utterly utterly **** one.

The Ref .... His failure to book Morelos was an utter cop out and if he didn't see their hand ball in the box VAR surely must have, it was a penalty all day long.

Yet Johnson was happy with the performance ?

:taxi

Bostonhibby
16-12-2022, 08:08 AM
Good summary JB, hard to contain the disappointment after a very good first half. The problem was that when the going gets tough we tend to get going, in the opposite direction.

There was an inevitability about the result in the second half we sorely lack leadership and someone to take the game my the scruff off the neck. I'd like to think the manager knows what you are highlighting about some of the players here but I genuinely believe whoever is manager isn't at the heart of our problem.

Agree with you re Josh Campbell, our best player, fair play to Porteous for showing he cares and great to see Kevin Nisbet back and causing them problems whilst he was on.

Giving McKirdy a proper run ahead of the hugely disappointing Youan has to be next experiment. Experimenting at this stage of the season..........

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Unseen work
16-12-2022, 08:17 AM
Cadden never had support?!

I’d argue he was the most protected man on the pitch with the amount Magennis helped him.

Cadden refuses to close down players in a crossing position also and always wants to stand just inside the box to ‘defend’ the cross

Greenbeard
16-12-2022, 08:37 AM
A bit harsh on Hanlon for their third JB. It was a top drawer bit of skill from Tillman that would have beaten 9/10 defenders at the World Cup, never mind ER. I'd say Cabraja was more culpable. Once he's beaten by the slide-rule pass to Tillman, he doesn't get out of 2nd gear to get back in a helpful defensive position. If he'd bust a gut he'd have been in a position either to challenge Tillman when he cuts inside or to block his cut back to More-Or-Less

Keith_M
16-12-2022, 08:46 AM
Am I the only one that's not feeling too downbeat by last night's result?

Yes, we got beat and yes I was disappointed with some of the defending but, TBH, I expected much worse.

I was quite pleased that we finally rediscovered how to score goals and that part has made me feel a little less pessimistic about the remainder of the season.

Iain G
16-12-2022, 09:02 AM

Yes, we got beat and yes I was disappointed with some of the defending but, TBH, I expected much worse.

I was quite pleased that we finally rediscovered how to score goals and that part has made me feel a little less pessimistic about the remainder of the season.

No you aren't! Quite happy with the first half and there is plenty of cause for optimism in my view. Work to be done and LJ needed to be more proactive with subs and tactics to freshen it up after half time, but there are positives there that we can build on :thumbsup:

Nisbet back is a major positive and look forward to seeing him play off Myko.

Tyler Durden
16-12-2022, 09:59 AM
Cadden never had support?!

I’d argue he was the most protected man on the pitch with the amount Magennis helped him.

Cadden refuses to close down players in a crossing position also and always wants to stand just inside the box to ‘defend’ the cross

He's probably coached to do this but Cadden seems so focused on getting his arms behind his back, rather than actually get out to win/block the ball. Does my head in.

I think all we are seeing with Cadden is that he's not a right back. Wing back he can do a decent job. Defending in a back 4, he's always going to struggle defensively.

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2022, 01:49 PM

It wasn't the quality of the defending that was the issue, the real issue was the amount of defending we had to do and that to my mind was utterly self inflicted. We simply gave up two thirds of the pitch to them and allowed ourselves to be camped in our final third, that after watching a Rangers defence in the first half that clearly had issues defending both corners and through balls.

The best chance to take something was to keep pressing them up the park and work their dodgy defence, instead of that we ensured through our tepid approach that they didn't have any bloody defending to do until the last 5 minutes and even in that 5 minutes they looked shaky.

We didn't lose that game, we gave it away because we weren't brave enough or intelligent enough to exploit the weakness they had clearly shown in the first half, a half where we scored two and easily could have had 4 with a bit of luck and in one case better finishing.

There was nothing encouraging about any of that.

Bostonhibby
16-12-2022, 09:37 PM
It wasn't the quality of the defending that was the issue, the real issue was the amount of defending we had to do and that to my mind was utterly self inflicted. We simply gave up two thirds of the pitch to them and allowed ourselves to be camped in our final third, that after watching a Rangers defence in the first half that clearly had issues defending both corners and through balls.

The best chance to take something was to keep pressing them up the park and work their dodgy defence, instead of that we ensured through our tepid approach that they didn't have any bloody defending to do until the last 5 minutes and even in that 5 minutes they looked shaky.

We didn't lose that game, we gave it away because we weren't brave enough or intelligent enough to exploit the weakness they had clearly shown in the first half, a half where we scored two and easily could have had 4 with a bit of luck and in one case better finishing.

There was nothing encouraging about any of that.Nail, hammer, heid[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
16-12-2022, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the good report.Encouraged by Nisbet and at last McGeady-particularly the way he stood up the Rangers man and put in a cross that could have brought the equaliser.

IberianHibernian
16-12-2022, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the good report.Encouraged by Nisbet and at last McGeady-particularly the way he stood up the Rangers man and put in a cross that could have brought the equaliser.Even if he`s only fit for half the games and even then for only 45 - 60 minutes , McGeady could make a huge difference to how this season finishes for us . From League Cup games and bounce game v Raith it`s obvious he`s way ahead of rest of our squad and other non OF squads .

BILLYHIBS
17-12-2022, 06:36 AM
A match fit firing on all cylinders McGeady could be a game changer for us

Should have been on for Youan sooner

How Youan lasted 90 minutes is head scratching

The Rangers were far from great and were there for the taking

They had no defence and 11 players missing

Celtic will molicate them especially with the new signings their Manager is promising

LJ had to be more proactive with tactics and subs sooner

His reluctance to act was criminal

Good to see a revitalised Kevin Nisbet back

Massive game versus Livvy coming up

Great work once again Jonnyboy

loanheadhibby
17-12-2022, 04:55 PM
My regular favourite read ….thanks J

I’m going to likely be the only one , but I didn’t think Hanlon did much wrong at their third goal
..he was just beaten by some great footwork ..it happens…
You have to be kidding it was embarrassing how soft he was at their third goal.

bigwheel
17-12-2022, 05:11 PM

You can’t see the quality of the rangers player’s footwork there ?

GreenCastle
17-12-2022, 05:12 PM

1st goal Hanlon heads it wrong way.

2nd goal he’s marking wrong side at corner.

3rd goal he goes with right foot instead of delaying or using left.

The 2nd half performance was all down to LJ not making changes sooner and Hibs running out of energy.

Huns finished 1st half better and at half time or just after we needed to change it but didn’t.