PDA

View Full Version : Don’t sack Lee

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Unseen work
15-12-2022, 10:07 PM
I know I’ll probably be in the minority here but I really don’t want him sacked

It will solve nothing and we’ll be back to square one of managers coming in, giving a player a fresh start and trusting the recruitment team and players they’ve found.

There’s been some good and bad throughout Johnson’s short stint but now is the time we need to get behind him and the team.

Give him January to get rid of all the rubbish (which there’s plenty of) and add a couple of quality players and reasses in the summer.

I’m also unsure what manager would be keen to be our 4th manager in 12 months.

cameronw-hfc
15-12-2022, 10:09 PM
Agreed. Over 400 games and the last 2 clubs hes been at rate him pretty highly, besides a section of the Sunderland support. If he can't turn it around nobody will.

Partyraiser
15-12-2022, 10:09 PM

It will solve nothing and we’ll be back to square one of managers coming in, giving a player a fresh start and trusting the recruitment team and players they’ve found.

There’s been some good and bad throughout Johnson’s short stint but now is the time we need to get behind him and the team.

Give him January to get rid of all the rubbish (which there’s plenty of) and add a couple of quality players and reasses in the summer.

I agree. We can't keep churning managers. Unless things go drastically wrong I think we need to stick by him and "trust the process". He had us playing some nice stuff at the start of the season and there were positives to take from tonight, that's what I'm clinging on to

NC1875
15-12-2022, 10:11 PM
The guys an absolute slaver but I don’t see any benefit in sacking him. Infact, I think he should stay.

Surely by now he knows that Hanlon, Newell, Henderson, Youan, the list goes on, are nowhere near good enough.

A new manager might be inclined to give them a chance.

He needs to be ruthless and get the deadwood out.

But then, recruitment isn’t exactly our strong point

Scotty Leither
Other clubs are bringing in players NOW in readiness to go into their squads in January.

We’ll fanny around and bring some rookie in on loan on the 31st of January.

The club stinks from top to bottom.

Donegal Hibby

If your in the minority club , I must be too .👍. Guy needs more time only had one window !

the_ginger_hibee
15-12-2022, 10:13 PM
We can't let Hanlon, Stevenson & Newell see off another manager. It's the players that need releasing.

WeeRussell
15-12-2022, 10:15 PM
Other clubs are bringing in players NOW in readiness to go into their squads in January.

Can’t be many of our rivals bringing in players right now, surely?

bingo70
15-12-2022, 10:15 PM

It’s a results business and at some point he’ll pay the price if it can’t be turned around.

I wouldn’t sack him now though as I think there’s still signs the situation is salvageable. The Ross county and Killie games before the split can’t be defended but before that we were actually playing ok in defeat. First half today was pretty decent. Second half was really ***** but that happens at ibrox sometimes.

I’m probably not convinced he’ll turn things around but there’s enough positive signs there to persevere with him for now. He’ll need tk get results on the board soon though starting with a win against Livingston.

Regardless of what we want, lose against Livi I think he’ll get his jotters.

Chorley Hibee
15-12-2022, 10:16 PM

Can guarantee that this is exactly how it will pan out.

Same every year.

loanheadhibby
15-12-2022, 10:16 PM

We have to sack him.
No way will he turn things around.
We can't just keep him because our managerial record recently is embarrassing.

Smartie
15-12-2022, 10:18 PM

I don't want him to go.

He's an open and amiable sort of guy and I think that's counting against him at the moment. We're under pressure and even the odd little slip can make him sound daft (I mean stuff like calling tonight's performance excellent).

I think he talks too much.

But in terms of the football I think he's doing about as much as is possible with the players available and sacking him would be to totally miss the point as to why we are where we are.

Get him a few players and if we're still struggling by all means get rid, but I don't think he's the problem right now.

Zazu62
15-12-2022, 10:22 PM
Johnson out, McIness in

Scotty Leither
15-12-2022, 10:22 PM
Can’t be many of our rivals bringing in players right now, surely?

Hearts are lining up Paterson, Celtic have signed a right back.

Scotty Leither
15-12-2022, 10:24 PM
Johnson out, McIness in

Who I wanted in the first place.

A pragmatist, who first and foremost would have made us harder to beat and would probably have fancied the gig. I suspect he wouldn’t accept a biscuit arsed laddie telling him who he could and couldn’t sign, though.

JohnM1875
15-12-2022, 10:27 PM
Don't think you'll be in the minority at all after that first half performance tonight. It's the second half that's a worry.

cameronw-hfc
15-12-2022, 10:28 PM

A pragmatist, who first and foremost would have made us harder to beat and would probably have fancied the gig. I suspect he wouldn’t accept a biscuit arsed laddie telling him who he could and couldn’t sign, though.

Dont think any hibs manager will have that person telling them who to sign anymore.

mcfly
15-12-2022, 10:29 PM
He can’t be sacked but he has to get rid of the players that have got the previous managers the sack.

He has to do this or he will go

CMac1988
15-12-2022, 10:35 PM
Up until tonight I've been saying the same. Sounds crazy to suggest that getting beat of Rangers is the straw that broke the camels back, but his inability to make what I thought were some obvious changes to try and get something from the game tonight was poor. I said in the matchday thread that he has to take some credit for the first but not seeing that things were going badly towards the end of the 1st and failing to do anything at half time was worrying. Appreciate you can come out the gates rejuvenated for the 2nd half but after 5 to 10 minutes it was clear that wasn't going to be the case. Continued to do nothing then they score. Still does nothing and we're massiverly under the cosh, they score again... Only then does he start making subs and at that some of them are questionable and reek of desperation. Youan lasting th 90. Melkerson for Nisbet despite Mckirdy looking better during the recent friendlies. Not changing the central pairing depsite them being ineffective in open play for the whole game. Waiting until it was too late to bring on McGeady when he could have brough him or Mitchell on earlier. Cabraja was having a poor game and Stevenson coming on to give a little experience was all too late also. Appreciate that some of these players are coming back from injury and that a lot of this is my opinion but he's been here for months and is flinging **** at the wall. 7 losses in 8. How long do we give him? I've also said elsewhere that if he goes then he shouldn't be the only one. Wholesale changes needed behind the scenes.

jeffers
15-12-2022, 10:48 PM
He’s a total slaver who takes no responsibility for his own failings. Thought he’d come up to Scotland and it would be a skoosh. Totally disagree with giving him time to bring in his own players - Bojang and Tavares were two he wanted and I seem to remember him telling us what a fantastic signing Youan would be.

Mrimbetween
15-12-2022, 10:50 PM
Sure Lee signed a 4yr contract it would be madness to sack him at this stage

jeffers
15-12-2022, 10:53 PM
Sure Lee signed a 4yr contract it would be madness to sack him at this stage

The length of his contract won’t have any bearing on a decision to sack him.

B.H.F.C
15-12-2022, 10:57 PM
At the start of the season, even when results weren’t great, you could see signs of things going in the right direction. We’ve stopped doing a lot of the things we were then so has Johnson.

Johnson’s use of subs tonight was abysmal. Think back to August. Same opponents, not working and made a double sub after 20 minutes. Tonight he stood watching as the game slipped away from him. His team aren’t doing the same things and neither is he.

He needs a result against Livingston next week. If not he, and we, are in serious trouble.

Hibee Mac
15-12-2022, 10:57 PM
Agree with you, he's been here long enough now to know exactly who needs binned and not give another chance to any of the dross we have in the squad.

He may or may not be the best man to take us forward long term, but for sure he's currently the best man to take us through this transfer window.

I want manager who sees this recruitment team for what it is, he's fighting for his job so he'll not be mucking around with them for much longer.

HerbDailly
15-12-2022, 11:00 PM
He’s a total slaver who takes no responsibility for his own failings. Thought he’d come up to Scotland and it would be a skoosh. Totally disagree with giving him time to bring in his own players - Bojang and Tavares were two he wanted and I seem to remember him telling us what a fantastic signing Youan would be.Bojang and Tavares are exactly the two my mind goes to when I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt, I find it hard to get past the fact that he thought they were really good signings. We made a big deal of giving Tavares #10, and he's utter pony.

And as well, when we scouted him, he would have been playing alongside that lad who Aberdeen signed, and he looks a good player! How does it end up like this?

Donegal Hibby
15-12-2022, 11:01 PM
Johnson out, McIness in
Great idea doing a fantastic job at Kilmarnock . And had Aberdeen playing some of the worst football ever !! Nah

McGruber
15-12-2022, 11:02 PM
We can't let Hanlon, Stevenson & Newell see off another manager. It's the players that need releasing.

Problem is he is still playing these players in spite of making 14 or 15 signings. So the players he is bringing in aren't good enough. Why trust him to make more signings?

Scotty Leither
15-12-2022, 11:05 PM
Agree with you, he's been here long enough now to know exactly who needs binned and not give another chance to any of the dross we have in the squad.

He may or may not be the best man to take us forward long term, but for sure he's currently the best man to take us through this transfer window.

I want manager who sees this recruitment team for what it is, he's fighting for his job so he'll not be mucking around with them for much longer.

I wish I shared your optimism re the recruitment team - our quick-draw owner doesn't hang about on sacking anybody at the club if he doesn't think they're cutting it.

I suspect his laddie is/will be his blind spot when it comes to being moved aside, though.

LunasBoots
15-12-2022, 11:30 PM
Guy talks a load of nonsense the majority of the time and still hasn't won what I'd class as a big game, jury's out for me.

Ozyhibby
16-12-2022, 12:17 AM
Any manager thinks Newell is the answer has to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
16-12-2022, 01:04 AM
I'm in the we just can't sack yet another manager camp.

But another second half like tonight and his coat will be on an extremely shoogly peg for me. We played a first half where the opposition's weakness at the back was horribly exposed, they struggled to defend corners and three times we strolled right in between their centre backs after winning the ball high up the park.

What happens in the second half, we absolutely abandon the game that was working so well for us and allowed them to bring the ball to within 30 yards of our goal practically unopposed, allowing them to get ball after ball into our box and failing miserably to play out when we did get the ball back. As I said on another thread the The Rangers simply aren't good enough to pin a team back like that unless they allow it to happen and the fact we did is down to the manager, either because he sent us out to play that way after half time, or he didn't tell us to play like that and didn't have any idea how to stop it when he could see it happening. Whatever the case it wasn't good enough.

Whatever the rest of the season holds, if he is genuinely at a stage where Youan is considered a starter who he won't sub even when he's having a second half like tonight and where he is having to play centre halves in midfield because the other contenders are so sub standard they aren't worthy of a starting spot, then he and this club are in all sorts of bother.

It can't be stressed enough how absolutely vital it is that we beat Livvi on Christmas eve, lose that one and we are genuinely looking at being in a relegation battle after the split because I wouldn't put a bad penny on us getting anything from Celtic or Hearts.

theonlywayisup
16-12-2022, 06:37 AM
I think the majority view forming is that we can't keep on sacking managers, but LJ must take a fair share of the blame for our current form. If he was to be sacked, I wouldn't be too disappointed apart from anger that those ultimately responsible for his sacking remain at Easter Road.

It's no surprise that those who played well last night were generally your Scottish players recruited by previous managers or developed through the youth teams - Porto, Campbell, Nisbet, Cadden & Magennis. Scottish Football is hardly rocket science, you don't need to over complicate by buying untried and unproven 'flair' players from countries across Europe / the rest of the World. What was wrong with the model trying to unearth the next star in buying Scottish players like SJM, Cummings, McGeouch or guys like Fyvie, who needed a new challenge. I wonder, would we sign a Nisbet, Cadden & Magennis today or would it by some untried kid from Portugal or some other country.

On Sky Sports, they listed all our 2022 signings and the vast majority of those are/were rubbish. We've got to stop this webuyanyyoungplayerandpreythey'llbeastar.com approach. It's not working!

Alfred E Newman
16-12-2022, 07:02 AM
On Sky Sports, they listed all our 2022 signings and the vast majority of those are/were rubbish. We've got to stop this webuyanyyoungplayerandpreythey'llbeastar.com approach. It's not working!

And they made the point that despite signing a raft of players in the summer, the bulk of the side last night were there when Jack Ross was manager. That statistic says all you need to know about our recruitment policy.

Iain G
16-12-2022, 07:07 AM

And they made the point that despite signing a raft of players in the summer, the bulk of the side last night were there when Jack Ross was manager. That statistic says all you need to know about our recruitment policy.

We know this, why is it any surprise to anyone, never mind the ****wits at Sky using it to criticise with Sack Ross in tow...

How many of those players were bought for the first team? How many younger players did Celtic or Rangers or Hearts sign in the same period that went into their development set up?

flash
16-12-2022, 07:08 AM
Hearts are lining up Paterson, Celtic have signed a right back.

Wow floods of new players coming in then.

Heisenberg
16-12-2022, 07:14 AM
We know this, why is it any surprise to anyone, never mind the ****wits at Sky using it to criticise with Sack Ross in tow...

How many of those players were bought for the first team? How many younger players did Celtic or Rangers or Hearts sign in the same period that went into their development set up?

I’d guess Jair Tavares and Kenneh were very much bought for the first team and neither could get a game last night. There was a lot of fanfare about both from the club and neither have proven themselves good enough to play every week and make an impact.

Our recruitment strategy will change now but it’s too late. We spent big in the summer (and previously) and it’s going to end up being a massive waste of cash. I believe it’s a strategy straight from Ben Kensell and his time at Norwich and it’s not worked at all.

Brightside
16-12-2022, 07:27 AM
Playing Porto instead of Kenneh is just nonsense. That is enough to out doubt in anyone’s head.

bingo70
16-12-2022, 07:30 AM

Sky sports also failed to mention that as part of those 22 players though we were forming a B team to try and create a bridge to the first team for the younger age groups.

I know that strategy is up for debate and I’m not totally convinced myself but if they’re going to give an opinion on our signings it would have been good if someone there knew what they were talking about, seeing as they are paid to understand these things, not just to suck up to ex managers sitting beside them.

Steve20
16-12-2022, 07:34 AM
As much as I don't want us sacking another manager, he has to start winning games. 7 defeats in 8 games is shocking and it will be difficult to make a case for him staying as manager if we can't win. And I don't mean just beating Livi and accepting loses to Celtic and Hearts. Difficult fixtures but even two defeats in there and I can't see him staying.

Northernhibee
16-12-2022, 07:36 AM
It’s how I feel too. There were some real positives last night and if we can do that more consistently throughout a game then we’ll win more than we lose. Against a team like Rangers you always run the risk of being blown away like we were in the second half.

The biggest problem we have is a bloated team with very few players who actually are of the standard we need. How much of that blame lies with the manager is up for debate but there are things I’d change at the club before Johnson.

I also fear what calibre of manager would take a job where the last two incumbents haven’t managed a full season combined.

B.H.F.C
16-12-2022, 07:37 AM

When they’ve signed a player for the development team, they’ve stated they were for the development team.

We must have signed 20 plus players in 2022 who don’t fall in to this bracket. Tavares and Kenneh are young players, but they’re first team players.

It’s an absolute shambles.

Benny Brazil
16-12-2022, 07:50 AM
We are sleepwalking to relegation. I don't want Johnson sacked but if come end of January, we still have the same core players and the results don't change then he is gone

snedzuk
16-12-2022, 07:54 AM
Johnson out, McIness in

This - stability needed and mcinnes can provide that.i would worry how he'd interact with the owners view of things though and on the basis mcinnes would stand up for himself, probably won't happen.

Basildon Hibs
16-12-2022, 07:54 AM
It’s a results business and at some point he’ll pay the price if it can’t be turned around.

I wouldn’t sack him now though as I think there’s still signs the situation is salvageable. The Ross county and Killie games before the split can’t be defended but before that we were actually playing ok in defeat. First half today was pretty decent. Second half was really ***** but that happens at ibrox sometimes.

I’m probably not convinced he’ll turn things around but there’s enough positive signs there to persevere with him for now. He’ll need tk get results on the board soon though starting with a win against Livingston.

Regardless of what we want, lose against Livi I think he’ll get his jotters.

I wouldn't have employed LJ in the first place !

snedzuk
16-12-2022, 07:57 AM
At the start of the season, even when results weren’t great, you could see signs of things going in the right direction. We’ve stopped doing a lot of the things we were then so has Johnson.

Johnson’s use of subs tonight was abysmal. Think back to August. Same opponents, not working and made a double sub after 20 minutes. Tonight he stood watching as the game slipped away from him. His team aren’t doing the same things and neither is he.

He needs a result against Livingston next week. If not he, and we, are in serious trouble.

That approach was such a breath of fresh air, now apparently abandoned. I don't get that.

Skol
16-12-2022, 08:01 AM
We cannot fire another manager.

I agree things are not good but they have improved. Johnson is hampered by our poor signing policy over quite a few windows.

There were enough positive signs last night away from home against a tough opponent who we gave a big fright

Plenty to work on as well particularly the sitting back every man behind the ball

Gatecrasher
16-12-2022, 08:03 AM
Leave LJ as long as the Gordons are here we won't improve.

Unseen work
16-12-2022, 08:08 AM
I also think the Gordon’s would be hesitant in sacking him as I think Johnson would be the type to tell the press everything that he wasn’t a fan of and night paint them in a bad light

Stubbsy90+2
16-12-2022, 08:14 AM
We cannot fire another manager.

I agree things are not good but they have improved. Johnson is hampered by our poor signing policy over quite a few windows.

There were enough positive signs last night away from home against a tough opponent who we gave a big fright

Plenty to work on as well particularly the sitting back every man behind the ball

Have they improved? The style of football we’ve been playing isn’t any better imo and Johnson has an even worse record than Maloney.

Some aspects may well have improved but some aspects have got even worse. Overall I don’t think we’re any better.

Skol
16-12-2022, 08:17 AM
We are significantly improved from maloney. We scored twice last night and had other great chances. We had none of tgat indef maloney.

GreenNWhiteArmy
16-12-2022, 08:19 AM
Two losses to hearts and fans will make sure he's gone. No doubt about it in my mind

My opinion is that he's been here 5 months, we've had some good results and some bad and no chance we're turning round the mess of the last couple years in one window.

Some sheep fans were calling for Goodwin's head at the end of the season, then again after a poor spell this season. Now look at them

Iain G
16-12-2022, 08:20 AM
This - stability needed and mcinnes can provide that.i would worry how he'd interact with the owners view of things though and on the basis mcinnes would stand up for himself, probably won't happen.

McInnes, **** me are we that desperate 🥰

Iain G
16-12-2022, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't have employed LJ in the first place !

Well done you! Have a gold star!

hibsforeurope
16-12-2022, 08:25 AM
we need stability but we cant back the wrong guy for the sake of it, hoping things might work out. This run will see him off eventually, like it or not.

the problem is it will be more of the same, if the same folk are picking the next manager.

Stubbsy90+2
16-12-2022, 08:26 AM
We are significantly improved from maloney. We scored twice last night and had other great chances. We had none of tgat indef maloney.

The stats would suggest we’re not. Results wise were even worse.

heretoday
16-12-2022, 08:27 AM
Don't sack him yet!

GreenGray
16-12-2022, 08:28 AM
Could bring Pep in and **** all would change.

I just wonder how long it will take Ron to realise the experiment is failing. Likely never.

scoopyboy
16-12-2022, 08:31 AM
Johnson out, McIness in

A couple of years ago he was not of any interest to me, now I would take him in a heartbeat.

Knows Scottish Football inside out and would bring stability to the club.

He done really well at Aberdeen until they stopped spending money.

jeffers
16-12-2022, 08:31 AM
Have they improved? The style of football we’ve been playing isn’t any better imo and Johnson has an even worse record than Maloney.

Some aspects may well have improved but some aspects have got even worse. Overall I don’t think we’re any better.

Agreed. I’m at the stage I wish we’d given Maloney more time. It wasn’t working but I felt at least I knew what he was trying to do, Johnson is all over the place.

We got Rangers at the perfect time last night, first game under a new manager, lots of players out injured and a defence that was so soft. Yes our tactics took advantage of that, but we stopped doing the things that were working after roughly 30 minutes. Johnson sat and watched, didn’t make the right changes and allowed the Huns to dominate us completely in the 2nd half. His post match interview was a joke.

Clarence
16-12-2022, 08:32 AM
Gordon needs to realise that him and his kin are not fitba folk and that they do not ken whits gaun oan when it comes to appointing managers.

B.H.F.C
16-12-2022, 08:32 AM

I’m not seeing a significant improvement at the moment. I did initially but we are regressing. Johnson himself is regressing and the two Rangers games are the perfect example. In the first one he was decisive and proactive in his decision making. Last night he stood by as the second half unfolded and didn’t do anything until it was too late.

hibsbollah
16-12-2022, 08:48 AM

I agree.

The unrelenting negativity around the club and the support at the moment means I’m in no hurry to go back, so I probably shouldn’t even get a vote. Celtic on the 28th seems like a chore, my daughter is all excited about going to the Hibs again after her first term away at uni; I just warned her ‘we’ll get beat 5-0, the fans will be angry and shouty, it will be freezing and it will take us ages to get there and back through the crowds and the icy roads…’

The Baldmans Comb
16-12-2022, 08:50 AM
The yappy wideO has contempt for Scottish football as shown by his disgraceful approach to the league cup, he has never won anything you would remotely call a big game, he alone has made 15 duff signings as he insists he makes the final call and he arrogantly thought he could go to to toe with Celtic away from home resulting in humiliation and his only form of motivation is to say he wants to get rid of "5 or 6 of them".

His Mr Big DNA is programmed to look down on Scottish football from day 1 both professionally and personally as he does his weekly commute to see the family as he doesn't even have the decency to live here.

There is nothing in the bank that indicates he can turn this around and its staggering that he has lasted this long as Hibs are now in a relegation battle.

Look at the table and let that sink in.

Ozyhibby
16-12-2022, 08:50 AM

Johnson’s results are worse than Maloney’s. His signings have been terrible and most of them can’t get a game.
I don’t see how you can say we have improved when the evidence shows we have not?

jeffers
16-12-2022, 08:57 AM
Johnson’s results are worse than Maloney’s. His signings have been terrible and most of them can’t get a game.
I don’t see how you can say we have improved when the evidence shows we have not?

I don’t understand that chat either. We are clearly getting worse under him. The thought of sacking yet another manager rightly has a lot of people uneasy about the prospect and little faith we’ll get the replacement right, but that doesn’t mean we stick with Johnson for the sake of it.

Stubbsy90+2
16-12-2022, 08:59 AM

:agree:

We found winning harder under Maloney but we were also much harder to beat leading to us having an ever so slightly better record under Maloney. Picking up points the way that Maloney did also meant we kept more points off of other teams.

Things are arguably different to how they were under Maloney, but imo the football isn’t really any better and the results are worse.

Box 17
16-12-2022, 09:07 AM
There's one big elephant in the room that is the cause of a lot of our troubles - Boyle's injury.

Losing him is like Argentina without Messi.

HFC93
16-12-2022, 09:16 AM
If we don’t get any wins in the next few games and the patience being shown by posters on this thread will be gone.

hibsforeurope
16-12-2022, 09:18 AM
There's one big elephant in the room that is the cause of a lot of our troubles - Boyle's injury.

Boyle being out is a massive blow but we were told, after Ross, that we wouldn't be a 1 man team and be so reliant on him. Even before Boyle got injured we were on a poor run.

SeanWilson
16-12-2022, 09:31 AM
Spend his severance package on some players… we’re not going to get a better manager in (he’s a charlatan btw), we’ll get another untried nobody who’ll require ‘transition’. Just buy some decent players hibs.

Ozyhibby
16-12-2022, 09:31 AM

This squad was put together before we knew Boyle was coming back. It should be able to cope. Besides, we weren’t exactly flying when Boyle was in the team.
Johnson is failing. There is no getting away from that. He didn’t bother fixing the midfield and now he will pay the price, same as the last couple of guys who didn’t get it fixed.

WestStandWillie
16-12-2022, 09:38 AM

This is where I'm at. I don't want some of these players given another fresh start. RG's got to back/support his manager next month or things are gonna get dicey. Won't happen but young Gordon jnr needs to be pulled away from recruitment. Leave it to the manager ffs.

Crab apple
16-12-2022, 09:39 AM
I'm still not sure about Lee. Awful recent form and he comes across as a bit of a slaver in his interviews. However losing Boyle has and will be a massive blow. For me just as worrying is the subs he brought on last night - Melkersen and Henderson don't look capable of making any impact and after that the options on the bench mostly become noticeably worse. Does he get the transfer window to try and improve the squad and are we confident that he'd be able to do this. I really don't know.

the_ginger_hibee
16-12-2022, 09:44 AM
Wouldn't happen but I'd be curious to see Ron come out and say Lee Johnson is here, no matter what, until the end of the season. Relegation or not. Would that get any kind of reaction from the squad?

We've rewarded failure by giving long contracts out to below average players who've seen off 3, 4 or more managers. Do the squad even fear failure when the only consequence is the manager changes? Maybe we need to think different as our approach hasn't changed the attitude of the players since before Jack Ross hit bad form.

Recruitment has been terrible. But this squad has been responsible for managers losing their job with zero consequence. 3 and 4 year deals handed out like sweeties (to all except our 1 sellable asset).

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2022, 09:52 AM
Johnson out, McIness in

I wanted McInness when we had the chance, but it makes no difference who the manager is with the owner we have.

We are ****ed unless he has a different approach to our club.

Logie
16-12-2022, 09:55 AM
He has to go for me. Yes not ideal the manager merry go round but we can’t just keep accepting a manger that is tactically clueless. Was a good first half last night but everyone could see something needed to change earlier in the second half, alarm bells were ringing for me during Ross county game at home before the break also. Inability to change it cost us there too. Recruitment a shambles and the starting 11 last night showing that again. Some of it LJ’s fault some not, need a DOF and a proper manager - I’m sure a manager with Scottish experience could get a tune out of these players with a few changes in January. I fear the worst sticking with LJ I wouldn’t want him wasting another penny on players in January.

Greenwich_Hibby
16-12-2022, 10:05 AM
Get rid. A deluded stats manager 'we will be a force to be reckoned with'. Based on what, only the players at the club before you arrived and signed absolute dross. Only place he is taking us is down. Tactics are abysmal and does nothing to react during games. He's up there with Butcher, Fenlon and Calderwood.

sleeping giant
16-12-2022, 10:06 AM
I'm at the point where I don't listen to his interviews.

He's a slaver.

Hibee Mac
16-12-2022, 10:41 AM
I wish I shared your optimism re the recruitment team - our quick-draw owner doesn't hang about on sacking anybody at the club if he doesn't think they're cutting it.

I suspect his laddie is/will be his blind spot when it comes to being moved aside, though.Don't get me wrong, I am far from a supportive of our recruitment team! I firmly believe that the lack of experience in the oversight of the footballing department and recruitment in particular are a key contributor to where we are now.

I do however think if Johnson has any sense about him he'll be fully aware of the issue by now and will not be naive enough to trust them to do a good job for him. Basically if we sack the manager then the recruitment team and Gordon's get another free pass at a transfer window.

Sir David Gray
16-12-2022, 10:43 AM
I'm just repeating myself but I'm torn on my thoughts on Johnson's future.

I don't think he's doing a particularly good job but I strongly believe that we have significant issues further up the tree and sacking Johnson will simply shift those significant issues onto someone else's shoulders and we'll be having these same threads about another manager.

By all means get rid of him but it has to come with other fundamental changes in the way the club operates or else sacking another manager will largely be a waste of time.

Donegal Hibby
16-12-2022, 10:44 AM
Any manager thinks Newell is the answer has to go.

Though Joe Newell isn't a signing LJ has made neither is JDH , Campbell or Henderson neither did he give them lengthy contracts as well ( 3 years ) . Blaming him for our current poor midfield is a bit harsh as they were already here before he came . He's said he needed 3 transfer windows ( I don't think he will get them btw) I'm still for giving him that but sadly I think he will be gone before he has a chance to fix our team . The other worrying thing is most of you that want him gone want either Roy Keane , Derek McInnes , Kevin Thomson, Ian Murray , David Martindale as manager, My God if things weren't bad enough for some of you yet there's some wanting to appoint s***e like this as is replacement!!

Sergio sledge
16-12-2022, 10:48 AM
The stats would suggest we’re not. Results wise were even worse.

I was surprised when you said this because to me it has felt more positive this season than under Maloney, however overall there's very little between them. Maloney has a slight edge on points per game if you treat all games as league games and give them 3 points for a win and 1 for a draw. However it is a very slight advantage and not really worth writing home about (0.02PPG advantage).

Johnson has an edge if you only count league games and not games against lower league opposition, although again it is only 0.18 PPG which is bottom 6 form, so nothing to shout about.

Where Johnson's Hibs team has the edge over Maloney's team is in terms of the goals we are scoring, despite how it may feel at the minute there's definitely more positive play in Johnsons team which shows in the fact we are scoring 0.45 more goals per game this season in the league, which equates to 17 more goals over the course of the season. We are also conceding more at the same rate so maybe more goals is more entertaining but not really giving us a great amount of benefit at this point.

thebausburst
16-12-2022, 10:50 AM
Get rid. A deluded stats manager 'we will be a force to be reckoned with'. Based on what, only the players at the club before you arrived and signed absolute dross. Only place he is taking us is down. Tactics are abysmal and does nothing to react during games. He's up there with Butcher, Fenlon and Calderwood.

This is how I feel about him too. It’s like last nights first half performance you just know there is ZERO chance we’ll repeat that against Livi.

Since452
16-12-2022, 10:58 AM
There is work to be done but we are at the very start of his tenure. We are capable of very good football like the first halfs at Ibrox and Pittodrie where were were in all honesty excellent. That makes me want to stick with him. Fully aware it's a results business and games last 90 minutes but I've seen enough positive signs that he's someone I'd like us to stick with.

ScottB
16-12-2022, 11:03 AM
I think I’m at the point where I don’t really care either way. Him staying gives me no excitement, or belief that he’ll turn it around. Him leaving comes with me having no hope that we’ll do things in a meaningfully different way.

Apathy is probably the worst feeling the club can generate in us. Angry people are still invested.

Dmas
16-12-2022, 11:13 AM
There is work to be done but we are at the very start of his tenure. We are capable of very good football like the first halfs at Ibrox and Pittodrie where were were in all honesty excellent. That makes me want to stick with him. Fully aware it's a results business and games last 90 minutes but I've seen enough positive signs that he's someone I'd like us to stick with.

I’m in the same boat, I don’t think we should sack him he’s working with the left overs of 2 failed managers in quick succession there has to be some room given to him to put his own stamp on it, he’s hamstrung with deals done before he’s arrived as well as the recruitment issues we’ve had whilst he’s been in place to which he has to shoulder some blame on as well imo but we chase him now the next guy has to work with everyone LJ has signed everyone SM signed and in budget set with guys given big deals under JR how is that workable for anyone we’d be chasing him out by may as well

I

thebausburst
16-12-2022, 11:17 AM
If he goes then it has to be before the Jan window to give the next man a fighting chance otherwise may as well stick with him to the end of the season imo.

Hibees1973
16-12-2022, 11:21 AM
Another Johnson thread. Pointless.

The main reason why we are on the slide is the Gordon's. If it's not right at the top then everything down is going to stink.

And this is what's wrong with our club. Our owner is incoherent and cannot see the problems he is causing. All his appointments to key positions at the club in the last couple of years have been a disaster. He has been quoted that recruitment has been fantastic. It clearly has not. Much as he seems well intentioned, he is delusioned and is on an ego trip.

Money has been invested in the club, however, how much of this is Ron's or is it from the transfer fees we got for Doig and Boyle.

He needs to formally announce that he is putting the club up for sale as it's imperative Hibs are owned by someone who knows what they are doing. Under Ron we are constantly going to fail on the park.

The 1st team is the most important part of the club and currently we are free falling to the bottom of the table. Forget about the hospitality suites and big screens. These mean nothing.

I would be delighted when Ron, his son and Kensall are gone. These guys are the problem.

Zambernardi1875
16-12-2022, 11:22 AM
I’m in the same boat, I don’t think we should sack him he’s working with the left overs of 2 failed managers in quick succession there has to be some room given to him to put his own stamp on it, he’s hamstrung with deals done before he’s arrived as well as the recruitment issues we’ve had whilst he’s been in place to which he has to shoulder some blame on as well imo but we chase him now the next guy has to work with everyone LJ has signed everyone SM signed and in budget set with guys given big deals under JR how is that workable for anyone we’d be chasing him out by may as well

I

Maloney didn’t really have a chance at bringing in his own players. Didn’t have Boyle or nisbet and other injuries. Would’ve no doubt brought in Marshall and mcgeady and demanded a higher standard than what LG has agreed with.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2022, 11:27 AM
I've said it before but managers aren't given time, they earn it. To use McIness as an example he was at Aberdeen for years because he took a team that finished 9th to 3rd and a cup win in one season. He then emulated that league form season after season over a considerable period. Had Aberdeen limped along in 7th or 8th in his 1st season then he would have been out the door.

The revolving door of managers at Easter Road isn't as unique as some would have you believe. Since 2012 we have had 8 permanent managers. In the same period Hearts have had 7, Motherwell have had 6, Dundee Utd have had 11, St Mirren have had 10........ The league set up in Scotland is such that if you aren't trending in the right direction quickly then you are going to find yourself with P45 in hand and looking for your next gig. Anyone who believes that Johnson was ever getting 3, 4 or 5 windows to sort this out is living in cloud cuckoo land. You can argue all you like about short termism being counter productive but in a league in which 1 point could literally be the difference between a final 5 games pushing for Europe or fighting relegation then it's hard to be anything else.

Everyone wants us to find a manager we can get behind for an extended period but you can't persist with something that is quite evidently not working. It was about now Johnson said he wanted to be judged, how can you say he is doing anything other than failing? Performances regressing, results regressing, league position looking increasingly concerning. If he can go on a run that sees us pick up 6 or 7 wins out of 10 games then he'll earn more time, if we continue our current run for another game or 2 then he won't be given any more, largely because he hasn't earned it.

I don't lay the entirety of the blame at his door, far from it, but he can't just abdicate his responsibility for what is going on either. He has a say in recruitment, he agreed to work within the system we have, he increasingly fails to react to events on the park etc etc.

Scotty Leither
16-12-2022, 11:30 AM
Wouldn't happen but I'd be curious to see Ron come out and say Lee Johnson is here, no matter what, until the end of the season. Relegation or not. Would that get any kind of reaction from the squad?

We've rewarded failure by giving long contracts out to below average players who've seen off 3, 4 or more managers. Do the squad even fear failure when the only consequence is the manager changes? Maybe we need to think different as our approach hasn't changed the attitude of the players since before Jack Ross hit bad form.

Recruitment has been terrible. But this squad has been responsible for managers losing their job with zero consequence. 3 and 4 year deals handed out like sweeties (to all except our 1 sellable asset).

Ron Gordon or his various proxies will say **** all unless it’s to ask us for money.

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2022, 11:34 AM
We have seen the last 3 managers struggle with this lot of players, what difference would Peb make with these shysters?

Jones28
16-12-2022, 11:40 AM
Another Johnson thread. Pointless.

The main reason why we are on the slide is the Gordon's. If it's not right at the top then everything down is going to stink.

And this is what's wrong with our club. Our owner is incoherent and cannot see the problems he is causing. All his appointments to key positions at the club in the last couple of years have been a disaster. He has been quoted that recruitment has been fantastic. It clearly has not. Much as he seems well intentioned, he is delusioned and is on an ego trip.

Money has been invested in the club, however, how much of this is Ron's or is it from the transfer fees we got for Doig and Boyle.

He needs to formally announce that he is putting the club up for sale as it's imperative Hibs are owned by someone who knows what they are doing. Under Ron we are constantly going to fail on the park.

The 1st team is the most important part of the club and currently we are free falling to the bottom of the table. Forget about the hospitality suites and big screens. These mean nothing.

I would be delighted when Ron, his son and Kensall are gone. These guys are the problem.

No one is buying Hibs. We’ve been for sale under Farmer to the right buyer for a long time.

I don’t agree with the sentiment that RG is a bad owner and needs to go. He needs to recognise his limitations and get some people more experienced in football than he is to help.

Kensall and Iain Gordon can GTF

the_ginger_hibee
16-12-2022, 12:02 PM
Ron Gordon or his various proxies will say **** all unless it’s to ask us for money.

He likes to answer a softball question or two on some club friendly podcasts.

But otherwise, aye, you're right.

hibbydog
16-12-2022, 12:14 PM
Sacking another manager after not giving him enough time would make us an even bigger laughing stock.

15 managers in 20 years. 3 in the last year. We are already the Watford of Scottish Football and I'd have no confidence in our ability to attract someone who would do a better job

When are we going to face up to the evidence that replacing the manager doesnt work?

It's high time we gave a manager a couple of years, be patient with results, and see if the benefits of this outweigh the short term 'new manager' improvement that we constantly crave.

Betty Boop
16-12-2022, 12:24 PM
The yappy wideO has contempt for Scottish football as shown by his disgraceful approach to the league cup, he has never won anything you would remotely call a big game, he alone has made 15 duff signings as he insists he makes the final call and he arrogantly thought he could go to to toe with Celtic away from home resulting in humiliation and his only form of motivation is to say he wants to get rid of "5 or 6 of them".

His Mr Big DNA is programmed to look down on Scottish football from day 1 both professionally and personally as he does his weekly commute to see the family as he doesn't even have the decency to live here.

There is nothing in the bank that indicates he can turn this around and its staggering that he has lasted this long as Hibs are now in a relegation battle.

Look at the table and let that sink in.
:top marks

Logie
16-12-2022, 12:30 PM
Sacking another manager after not giving him enough time would make us an even bigger laughing stock.

15 managers in 20 years. 3 in the last year. We are already the Watford of Scottish Football and I'd have no confidence in our ability to attract someone who would do a better job

When are we going to face up to the evidence that replacing the manager doesnt work?

It's high time we gave a manager a couple of years, be patient with results, and see if the benefits of this outweigh the short term 'new manager' improvement that we constantly crave.

Who cares what people think? At what point do you make the change once we are relegated? The guy has shown nothing to suggest he has the knowledge to change a game or that he even knows his best 11, he is a typical English journeyman that looks down on Scottish football and is being found out big time. If we played more times well then not I could put up with him longer but most of the football has been awful bar the games we won against 10 men.

B.H.F.C
16-12-2022, 12:51 PM

Saw someone posting elsewhere, we’re not alone in sacking managers. There’s teams up here who have been through more managers than us in similar timescales. Even if you think of Rangers over the last 7 or 8 years they’ve had McCoist, McCall, Warburton, Caxinha, Gerrard, Geo and now Beale. Chuck in Murty having considerable time in charge as caretaker twice.

A good manager will generally do a decent job and the ones who do generally last longer. We’ve got problems beyond the manager but they can’t be going on long runs of defeats or they’ll be out the door, and that doesn’t just apply to us.

hibsforeurope
16-12-2022, 12:57 PM
No one is buying Hibs. We’ve been for sale under Farmer to the right buyer for a long time.

I don’t agree with the sentiment that RG is a bad owner and needs to go. He needs to recognise his limitations and get some people more experienced in football than he is to help.

Kensall and Iain Gordon can GTF

The biggest issue is Ron believes he can make a huge profit from selling Hibs, this is unlikely to happen but it is at forefront of all his Footballing decisions, until he gets realistic things won't change.

Jones28
16-12-2022, 01:09 PM
The biggest issue is Ron believes he can make a huge profit from selling Hibs, this is unlikely to happen but it is at forefront of all his Footballing decisions, until he gets realistic things won't change.

Well if he sells Hibs for a huge profit he will have done a good job. At the moment nobody would touch Hibs - or any other Scottish football club for that matter, Celtic and rangers the obvious exceptions.

The model of buying young talent and selling for a profit is a perfectly reasonable one, but the young talent has to be reinforced by quality that we don’t have. I still have high hopes for Melkersen, for example, but until we sign some quality to provide chances for him he’s a sitting duck.

hibsforeurope
16-12-2022, 01:15 PM
Well if he sells Hibs for a huge profit he will have done a good job. At the moment nobody would touch Hibs - or any other Scottish football club for that matter, Celtic and rangers the obvious exceptions.

The model of buying young talent and selling for a profit is a perfectly reasonable one, but the young talent has to be reinforced by quality that we don’t have. I still have high hopes for Melkersen, for example, but until we sign some quality to provide chances for him he’s a sitting duck.

Has anyone, other than Fergus McCann made any money out of Scottish football. i think he is blinkered by making a profit and it's clouding the recruitment, we're not looking to build a balanced squad it's young players who the recruitment team think will be worth money down the line. it's just not working, until they realise not every signing can follow this ideal were in trouble.

i agree we need quality in to help these prospects learn from.

I think it was telling that Porteous feels his progress stagnated at Hibs in the last 12 months or so, there has been no quality for him and other young players to learn from.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2022, 01:25 PM
Saw someone posting elsewhere, we’re not alone in sacking managers. There’s teams up here who have been through more managers than us in similar timescales. Even if you think of Rangers over the last 7 or 8 years they’ve had McCoist, McCall, Warburton, Caxinha, Gerrard, Geo and now Beale. Chuck in Murty having considerable time in charge as caretaker twice.

A good manager will generally do a decent job and the ones who do generally last longer. We’ve got problems beyond the manager but they can’t be going on long runs of defeats or they’ll be out the door, and that doesn’t just apply to us.

In the last 10 years each of the current Premiership clubs have had the below number of permanent managers:

Dundee Utd - 11
St Mirren - 10
Kilmarnock - 9
Livingston - 9
Hibernian - 8
Motherwell - 8
Rangers - 8
Hearts - 7
Ross County - 6
Celtic - 5
Aberdeen - 4
St Johnstone - 3

The idea Hibs are some anomaly that ploughs through managers at a rate incomparable to any other club in the league is nonsense.

jeffers
16-12-2022, 01:45 PM
In the last 10 years each of the current Premiership clubs have had the below number of permanent managers:

Dundee Utd - 11
St Mirren - 10
Kilmarnock - 9
Livingston - 9
Hibernian - 8
Motherwell - 8
Rangers - 8
Hearts - 7
Ross County - 6
Celtic - 5
Aberdeen - 4
St Johnstone - 3

The idea Hibs are some anomaly that ploughs through managers at a rate incomparable to any other club in the league is nonsense.

And I’ll say this again. Who have we got rid of who has gone on to do a better job elsewhere ? Or who have we appointed that was poached from us ‘cos they were doing a great job ? The reason we get rid of managers is ‘cos they are pish, Johnson being the latest one.

Stubbsy90+2
16-12-2022, 01:52 PM

Dundee Utd - 11
St Mirren - 10
Kilmarnock - 9
Livingston - 9
Hibernian - 8
Motherwell - 8
Rangers - 8
Hearts - 7
Ross County - 6
Celtic - 5
Aberdeen - 4
St Johnstone - 3

Fenlon
Butcher
Stubbs
Lennon
Heckingbottom
Ross
Maloney
Johnson

Stubbs and Johnson the only ones who weren’t sacked. Can anyone say that any of the others didn’t deserve to be sacked and have went on to prove us wrong? Bizarrely enough the main one i think could have a gripe with being sacked is Maloney who was thrown under the bus by Hibs. Jack Ross would probably have an argument as well but there’s a very strong argument for sacking him and he’s been an abject failure and/or unemployed since.

Whilst 8 might sound a lot, that table shows it’s about par for the course in our league. The list of managers also shows why that number is what it was. Largely because they were either completely pish or turned into pish with the exception of Stubbs who didn’t get sacked but was headhunted.

Pretty Boy
16-12-2022, 01:52 PM
And I’ll say this again. Who have we got rid of who has gone on to do a better job elsewhere ? Or who have we appointed that was poached from us ‘cos they were doing a great job ? The reason we get rid of managers is ‘cos they are pish, Johnson being the latest one.

I agree with you.

We aren't getting rid of managers who are doing a great job. In the last 10 years the only one was poached elsewhere was Stubbs.

It's notable the bottom 3 on the list above are the teams who have been most successful by the standards they set in terms of league, cups or both in the time period. Managers who do a good job get more time, it's not rocket science.

Anthony Soprano
16-12-2022, 01:53 PM

Heckingbottom

wookie70
16-12-2022, 02:16 PM
HeckingbottomHe has done really well and I can't say I'm surprised. Stubbs is the one that got away as that could have worked long term purely because of recruitment

jeffers
16-12-2022, 02:22 PM
I agree with you.

We aren't getting rid of managers who are doing a great job. In the last 10 years the only one was poached elsewhere was Stubbs.

It's notable the bottom 3 on the list above are the teams who have been most successful by the standards they set in terms of league, cups or both in the time period. Managers who do a good job get more time, it's not rocket science.

Which is why beyond the feeling that we can’t sack another manager I see nothing to suggest we should persist with Johnson.

jeffers
16-12-2022, 02:26 PM
Heckingbottom

Yup I did mean to add him but got distracted. The fact it’s only one out of the many managers we have got rid of would suggest we were correct in our decision to sack them.

Allant1981
16-12-2022, 02:55 PM
Playing Porto instead of Kenneh is just nonsense. That is enough to out doubt in anyone’s head.

Kenneh isn't good enough despite you thinking otherwise

truehibernian
16-12-2022, 02:58 PM
I honestly think we couldn’t go far wrong getting John Collins in as Director of Football. The experience, the connections, and the obvious link to the club - may unite the support going forward and give us direction off the field in the football department.

jeffers
16-12-2022, 03:02 PM
Kenneh isn't good enough despite you thinking otherwise

I don’t mind Kenneh. He has a specific role and in the main he does it quite well. Yes he has things he needs to work on, but he’s still very young. What annoys me is Johnson coming out and basically praising himself for playing Porto in midfield while pointing out how few games Kenneh had actually played in that position. Yet he’s the guy who watched us before taking over and decided the only holding/defensive midfielder we needed was a young guy who had never played first team football.

Fergus52
16-12-2022, 03:04 PM
I honestly think we couldn’t go far wrong getting John Collins in as Director of Football. The experience, the connections, and the obvious link to the club - may unite the support going forward and give us direction off the field in the football department.

Directors of football tend to head recruitment, which John Collins was awful at.

The only window under Petrie that we could afford to spend significant 6 figure fees and he wasted it all on players like O'brien and Kerr.

Dashing Bob S
16-12-2022, 03:05 PM

Completely agree. We have to get over our Hanlon-Stevenson obsession and build a team for the rest of this decade.

Johnson is no worse than any other SPL manager. Sacking him won’t change much. If he’s learned anything from the mess that is Hibs, let’s give him the chance to see what it is.

Allant1981
16-12-2022, 03:08 PM
I don’t mind Kenneh. He has a specific role and in the main he does it quite well. Yes he has things he needs to work on, but he’s still very young. What annoys me is Johnson coming out and basically praising himself for playing Porto in midfield while pointing out how few games Kenneh had actually played in that position. Yet he’s the guy who watched us before taking over and decided the only holding/defensive midfielder we needed was a young guy who had never played first team football.

Just don't see it with kenneh, maybe 3 good games since he came and that's been it, can see why he played porteous in midfield last night, added a bit of steel, porteous is actually decent on the ball so made sense, we really need to sign some decent midfielders in january though

Iain G
16-12-2022, 03:08 PM
He likes to answer a softball question or two on some club friendly podcasts.

But otherwise, aye, you're right.

I didn't know he owned a Softball team as well :greengrin

truehibernian
16-12-2022, 03:09 PM
Directors of football tend to head recruitment, which John Collins was awful at.

The only window under Petrie that we could afford to spend significant 6 figure fees and he wasted it all on players like O'brien and Kerr.

Agreed, but that was over a decade ago and he’ll have learned from that. Additionally he wasn’t afraid to play young players and get them into the side quicker. He’s a winner, won a cup with us, won big games with us. And he knows how the game should be played. Said players also won games v Hearts, Rangers and Celtic when they had bigger budgets and better players.

Iain G
16-12-2022, 03:10 PM

Where did you get this idea from, that he wants to sell and make a huge profit from Hibs! :confused:

jeffers
16-12-2022, 03:15 PM
Just don't see it with kenneh, maybe 3 good games since he came and that's been it, can see why he played porteous in midfield last night, added a bit of steel, porteous is actually decent on the ball so made sense, we really need to sign some decent midfielders in january though

Like I said I quite like him while accepting his limitations. Whatever way you look at it though it’s not exactly a ringing endorsement of his signing to drop him and play our best centre back in his position. Porto is good on the ball but I don’t think the experiment worked at all last night.

WhileTheChief..
16-12-2022, 03:36 PM
It would be nigh on impossible for a new manager to do any worse!

I mean, how many more defeats will it take before we realise it’s not working out? If it gets to 11 defeats in 12 or whatever it could be too late for a new manager to fix things.

Of course we should change manager. We should do it asap to give the new guy a chance to sign some players. The club must surely have realised their way of doing things isn’t working, so the window has to be better than last years I’d have thought.

I’d much rather we change manager than stick with someone who can’t get us results. Seems like common sense to me and is what most clubs do.

WeeRussell
16-12-2022, 03:39 PM

I mean, how many more defeats will it take before we realise it’s not working out? If it gets to 11 defeats in 12 or whatever it could be too late for a new manager to fix things.

Of course we should change manager. We should do it asap to give the new guy a chance to sign some players. The club must surely have realised their way of doing things isn’t working, so the window has to be better than last years I’d have thought.

I’d much rather we change manager than stick with someone who can’t get us results. Seems like common sense to me and is what most clubs do.

Difficult to argue with most of that other than the bit about the club realising their way isn’t working and therefore changing the way we do business, which I fear may not be the case!

blackpoolhibs
16-12-2022, 03:52 PM

Hilarious too, Porteous was useless in midfield.

B.H.F.C
16-12-2022, 04:02 PM
I’ve not really thought he should be sacked, up until now. I think he had to get the opportunity to turn it round but it now has that inevitability about it so I don’t really see any point on holding on. He 100% needs to beat Livingston but that will just buy him a bit more time rather than turn things longer term.

I never expected much when he was appointed but he’s delivered even less than I thought we’d get.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-12-2022, 04:08 PM

Would we not have been better sticking with Ross?

Image the scenes of Hibs appointing a pragmatist…. Maybe we’re so disorientated but I can’t ever see a pragmatist being an approved choice for Hibs.

hibsbollah
16-12-2022, 04:11 PM

12 defeats in 12 would be worse. Definitely possible.

Hibiza
16-12-2022, 04:14 PM

Johnson is just simply USELESS . Talks utter nonsense.

overdrive
16-12-2022, 04:16 PM
I’m not really one of these “we need to stick with the manager, can’t be sacking another one” posters. If a manager is useless, he should be sacked. I wanted Maloney sacked and normally, I’d want Johnson sacked. I really don’t like him in terms of the way he has us playing or his general personality. The results are even worse than those two factors.

However, I don’t think he should be sacked just yet. We are set up by the owner and CEO for failure. A new manager won’t make much of a difference under this regime/structure as we will continue to sign and keep players who are garbage, injury prone or need too much time to develop.

I also don’t trust the Gordons and Kensell to recruit a decent manager. So, in the interests of saving money in not having to sack LJ and then his replacement in 6 months. Keep him until hopefully something changes at the club to knock some sense into Gordon Sr to actually have a professional set up of the football department. Hopefully then a competent DoF will be appointed and let them sack LJ then and appoint someone of their choosing.

Unseen work
16-12-2022, 04:18 PM
Johnson is just simply USELESS . Talks utter nonsense.

It’s hard for me because I find myself liking him and wanting to defend him but losing 7 in 8 and 3 of which to the bottom 3 makes it difficult. I genuinely think most fans could get a better win rate than that.

I don’t want him sacked, I genuinely dont as I just don’t think it will change anything and he now knows the players not good enough and will get them (hopefully) punted.

If he is sacked, get Martindale and Bartley in 🤣

jeffers
16-12-2022, 04:21 PM
I’m not really one of these “we need to stick with the manager, can’t be sacking another one” posters. If a manager is useless, he should be sacked. I wanted Maloney sacked and normally, I’d want Johnson sacked. I really don’t like him in terms of the way he has us playing or his general personality. The results are even worse than those two factors.

However, I don’t think he should be sacked just yet. We are set up by the owner and CEO for failure. A new manager won’t make much of a difference under this regime/structure as we will continue to sign and keep players who are garbage, injury prone or need too much time to develop.

I also don’t trust the Gordons and Kensell to recruit a decent manager. So, in the interests of saving money in not having to sack LJ and then his replacement in 6 months. Keep him until hopefully something changes at the club to knock some sense into Gordon Sr to actually have a professional set up of the football department. Hopefully then a competent DoF will be appointed and let them sack LJ then and appoint someone of their choosing.

I’d hope that if (and hopefully when) they sack Johnson the board will finally realise what they have been doing hasn’t been working and make changes. If they keep him to me that would suggest they believe what they are doing is actually working.

LunasBoots
16-12-2022, 05:05 PM
Not a fan of Johnson, talks a load of nonsense and seems a bit of a yes man but what I would say is the current model of only signing young laddys is not helping the situation and needs changed going forward.

hibbydog
16-12-2022, 08:36 PM

Dundee Utd - 11
St Mirren - 10
Kilmarnock - 9
Livingston - 9
Hibernian - 8
Motherwell - 8
Rangers - 8
Hearts - 7
Ross County - 6
Celtic - 5
Aberdeen - 4
St Johnstone - 3

Interesting. You can’t argue about facts but you can argue what they mean.

I see that as a list of the successful clubs with fewest managers, and the poor performing clubs with the most.

hibsforeurope
16-12-2022, 08:42 PM
Where did you get this idea from, that he wants to sell and make a huge profit from Hibs! :confused:

Have you listened to any of his podcasts/ interviews? It was in his most recent interview with Graham spiers, his goal is to make a big profit on his initial investment, “x times 4” was his words.

IberianHibernian
16-12-2022, 09:58 PM
If recent run of results continues a change of manager will become inevitable , as it would at any other club . I`ve said here many times on the numerous threads there have been here about managers since hibs.net started that , where possible , manageriakl changes should take place in summer . No coincidence that managers like Mowbray who started in summer did better while others who took over in mid season ( Fenlon , Butcher , Maloney ...) struggled ( or at least were considered to have struggled by some parts of press and support ) . If we change managers now , we may end up with someone like Livi or Ross County managers who would be available because non - footballing reasons have limited their managerial career progress ( both cases have been debated here loads of times so no need to repeat debates ) . David Gray already has experience and Steve Kean has loads of managerial experience but doesn`t seem to have been used by us before so maybe doesn`t want to manage us even if only for a few weeks / months . In the short term , it may not appear a great job taking over a struggling team at a club which has changed manager several times in recent years though if Ron Gordon can battle through storm of criticism that another poor league season will cause , some manager in a year or so is going to hit the jackpot and take over a great young team that could be significantly better than at least the other non OF teams .

16-12-2022, 09:59 PM
Have you listened to any of his podcasts/ interviews? It was in his most recent interview with Graham spiers, his goal is to make a big profit on his initial investment, “x times 4” was his words.

Have you got a link to this Graham Spiers podcast/interview?

zitelli62
16-12-2022, 11:15 PM
I like the guy but I can't take to him I feel there is a separation between him and the fans I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be a great manager but I have my doubts hope he proves me wrong.

Since452
17-12-2022, 12:01 AM

To be fair, Lennon, Hecky, Ross, Maloney etc haven't survived that kind of record so I wouldn't expect LJ to either. I don't think LJ will have a similar run though. Just have a feeling.

WhileTheChief..
17-12-2022, 12:25 AM
To be fair, Lennon, Hecky, Ross, Maloney etc haven't survived that kind of record so I wouldn't expect LJ to either. I don't think LJ will have a similar run though. Just have a feeling.

Thins is, for me at least, is that I think LJ is probably a decent manager at the right club.

I really like what RG had to say when he took over. I bought into all of it and thought the future was truly green n white.

But I think what has become apparent is that RG and Co have literally no clue about Scottish football.

It’s pretty easy to refurbish hospitality suite to bring in more cash, not so much bringing on the right players o take us where we want to be.

Im still
fully supportive of RG despite the glsrigly
obvious mistakes made.

As for LJ, he’s a likeable guy, but he’s just not cutting it as our manager. Time for a change.

Yorkshire HFC
17-12-2022, 05:20 AM
Thins is, for me at least, is that I think LJ is probably a decent manager at the right club.

I really like what RG had to say when he took over. I bought into all of it and thought the future was truly green n white.

But I think what has become apparent is that RG and Co have literally no clue about Scottish football.

It’s pretty easy to refurbish hospitality suite to bring in more cash, not so much bringing on the right players o take us where we want to be.

Im still
fully supportive of RG despite the glsrigly
obvious mistakes made.

As for LJ, he’s a likeable guy, but he’s just not cutting it as our manager. Time for a change.

Who do you want to choose the next manager - the same person that chose the last two?

B.H.F.C
17-12-2022, 06:38 AM
If recent run of results continues a change of manager will become inevitable , as it would at any other club . I`ve said here many times on the numerous threads there have been here about managers since hibs.net started that , where possible , manageriakl changes should take place in summer . No coincidence that managers like Mowbray who started in summer did better while others who took over in mid season ( Fenlon , Butcher , Maloney ...) struggled ( or at least were considered to have struggled by some parts of press and support ) . If we change managers now , we may end up with someone like Livi or Ross County managers who would be available because non - footballing reasons have limited their managerial career progress ( both cases have been debated here loads of times so no need to repeat debates ) . David Gray already has experience and Steve Kean has loads of managerial experience but doesn`t seem to have been used by us before so maybe doesn`t want to manage us even if only for a few weeks / months . In the short term , it may not appear a great job taking over a struggling team at a club which has changed manager several times in recent years though if Ron Gordon can battle through storm of criticism that another poor league season will cause , some manager in a year or so is going to hit the jackpot and take over a great young team that could be significantly better than at least the other non OF teams .

What have you seen that makes you think a manager is going to hit the jackpot with the young players we have?

hibsforeurope
17-12-2022, 06:56 AM
Have you got a link to this Graham Spiers podcast/interview?

https://www.patreon.com/pressbox It was an episode from October.

Silky
17-12-2022, 05:16 PM
Interesting. You can’t argue about facts but you can argue what they mean.

I see that as a list of the successful clubs with fewest managers, and the poor performing clubs with the most.

That was my take as well. The short-termists looking for an instant hit and changing managers when the going gets tough!

17-12-2022, 05:21 PM
https://www.patreon.com/pressbox It was an episode from October.

Thanks. 🙂👍

Onion
17-12-2022, 05:26 PM
LJ can rest easy as he's protected by the failure of the last 2 incumbents and the Owner's inability to run the club properly.

Michael Stewart summed up Hibs perfectly as "all icing and no cake".

WhileTheChief..
17-12-2022, 06:16 PM
Who do you want to choose the next manager - the same person that chose the last two?

Ah ok, we stick with LJ no matter what until RG leaves? Seriously?

Why stick with a manager who can’t get us results?

I think we’d be better placed making the change, even with RG making the decision.

Glory Lurker
17-12-2022, 06:48 PM
Would it make any difference if we replaced him? Regardless of who's been the boss we've been generally poor for the last 50 years. I have no idea why I persevere! Existentially depressing.

IberianHibernian
17-12-2022, 07:14 PM
What have you seen that makes you think a manager is going to hit the jackpot with the young players we have?With the young players we have I`ve seen nothing or next to nothing ( which is being unfair as I`m sure some of the players who won Under 18 league and are doing well in Europe are great prospects ) but if we persist with concentrating on recruiting promising young players from all over the world before they become too expensive for us then I think we could do well in a few years`time . Alternative is to concentrate on short term signings and accept 3rd , 10th , 5th , 7th , etc It`s nothing revolutionary . Real Madrid have just spent a fortune on a 16 year old Brasilian who won`t play for them for at least 2 years cause they don`t want to be outbid by other clubs in a couple of years .

B.H.F.C
17-12-2022, 07:23 PM
With the young players we have I`ve seen nothing or next to nothing ( which is being unfair as I`m sure some of the players who won Under 18 league and are doing well in Europe are great prospects ) but if we persist with concentrating on recruiting promising young players from all over the world before they become too expensive for us then I think we could do well in a few years`time . Alternative is to concentrate on short term signings and accept 3rd , 10th , 5th , 7th , etc It`s nothing revolutionary . Real Madrid have just spent a fortune on a 16 year old Brasilian who won`t play for them for at least 2 years cause they don`t want to be outbid by other clubs in a couple of years .

Football at our level will always be short term. If a young player comes through and shows great promise, they’ll move on fairly quickly. Josh Doig being the most recent example.

Few of the young players signed over the last year are actually showing much promise. They can only ever thrive in a proper team and we don’t have that just now. Neglecting the present because of some dream that these lads will all click and start delivering in a few years time is ludicrous and the type of mindset that will see us in the Championship. No comparison to be had with Real Madrid who are European champions so clearly still have a focus on the present as well as investing in their future.

Glory Lurker
17-12-2022, 07:40 PM
Football at our level will always be short term. If a young player comes through and shows great promise, they’ll move on fairly quickly. Josh Doig being the most recent example.

Few of the young players signed over the last year are actually showing much promise. They can only ever thrive in a proper team and we don’t have that just now. Neglecting the present because of some dream that these lads will all click and start delivering in a few years time is ludicrous and the type of mindset that will see us in the Championship. No comparison to be had with Real Madrid who are European champions so clearly still have a focus on the present as well as investing in their future.

Agree.

Would we be happy if our recruitment policy was to hoover up players from other teams' development squads?

Good recruitment isnae punts, in any area of work. It's almost as if folk who don't understand that football follows the same rules as any other business are at the wheel.

jacomo
17-12-2022, 07:52 PM
Can guarantee that this is exactly how it will pan out.

Same every year.

It’s not though?

Ok our recruitment hasn’t worked as we hoped but it’s just not true to say Hibs haven’t been active throughout the past few transfer windows.

jacomo
17-12-2022, 07:56 PM

I think this is the issue. Plenty of our players have potential imo but you can’t be asking prospects to turn around the fortunes of a struggling team. If the team is performing well then these players get a much better opportunity to shine.

Donegal Hibby
17-12-2022, 08:05 PM
There's no getting away from the arguement that most of you have about sacking Lee Johnson , of course it's a awful run we are on and managers have been sacked for less though if you look at our midfield Newell , JDH , Henderson they aren't his signings and he did say needed 2 or 3 windows when he was appointed ( if things don't change I accept he has to go) if we do get a couple of decent results I'd like to see him get the chance of the January window as it's been said he wants to move several out so hopefully he knows now who we have to move on , taking another manager in now he will probably want to access the squad himself which will take even longer ! The other reason I'd like to give him time (if he gets a few results soon of course) is some of the names put forward as our new manager have filled me with utter panic ! Roy Keane , Derek McInnes , Kevin Thomson , David Martindale , Callum Davidson . Totally uninspiring to say the least imo of course. Interesting read I found on managers fergie , Johnson, Kendall all in it .
https://sqaf.club/football-managers-who-almost-got-sacked-success/

IberianHibernian
17-12-2022, 08:25 PM
Not a fan of Johnson, talks a load of nonsense and seems a bit of a yes man but what I would say is the current model of only signing young laddys is not helping the situation and needs changed going forward.Laddies like Marshall and McGeady ? Cabraja about 23 I think .

bingo70
17-12-2022, 08:27 PM
There's no getting away from the arguement that most of you have about sacking Lee Johnson , of course it's a awful run we are on and managers have been sacked for less though if you look at our midfield Newell , JDH , Henderson they aren't his signings and he did say needed 2 or 3 windows when he was appointed ( if things don't change I accept he has to go) if we do get a couple of decent results I'd like to see him get the chance of the January window as it's been said he wants to move several out so hopefully he knows now who we have to move on , taking another manager in now he will probably want to access the squad himself which will take even longer ! The other reason I'd like to give him time (if he gets a few results soon of course) is some of the names put forward as our new manager have filled me with utter panic ! Roy Keane , Derek McInnes , Kevin Thomson , David Martindale , Callum Davidson . Totally uninspiring to say the least imo of course. Interesting read I found on managers fergie , Johnson, Kendall all in it .

I’m not convinced about sacking him now but I wouldn’t be disappointed if he was.

Regarding your post though, I think he said judge him after 10 or 11 games, not two or three windows.

One of my concerns about the window coming up is that all the noises he’s making are about getting rid of players to make sure he squad smaller. Not necessarily about brining new players in to improve the quality of the squad.

I think whoever is going to be in charge for the second half of the season will be charged with getting more out of the current squad.

I’m sure there’ll be a couple of additions but they won’t be high profile marquee signings that are likely to turn around our season.

Donegal Hibby
17-12-2022, 08:55 PM
I’m not convinced about sacking him now but I wouldn’t be disappointed if he was.

Regarding your post though, I think he said judge him after 10 or 11 games, not two or three windows.

One of my concerns about the window coming up is that all the noises he’s making are about getting rid of players to make sure he squad smaller. Not necessarily about brining new players in to improve the quality of the squad.

I think whoever is going to be in charge for the second half of the season will be charged with getting more out of the current squad.

I’m sure there’ll be a couple of additions but they won’t be high profile marquee signings that are likely to turn around our season.
I think he might have said that too but definitely when he came first he stated he needed 2 or 3 windows which if he doesn't turn it around soon he won't get . I've been in the Lee Johnson camp from day one and I still am though I do admit my support for him is beginning to go now . Though I'm going to stick with him awhile longer yet ! Can't help in one way feel he's been unlucky too at times with injuries, Boyle out for the year and even the last night with the penalty we should have got ! Of course it's results that count though.

Unseen work
17-12-2022, 09:27 PM

The losing runs he goes on seem mental, but fair play to him he manages to turn it around.

That might be due to getting players in to suit his style and get points across etc.

Although a lot of players will leave in January, I’m positive we’ll make a couple of really good high quality additions.

I don’t think we can afford not to, and everyone at the club will know that.

Donegal Hibby
17-12-2022, 10:43 PM
The losing runs he goes on seem mental, but fair play to him he manages to turn it around.

That might be due to getting players in to suit his style and get points across etc.

Although a lot of players will leave in January, I’m positive we’ll make a couple of really good high quality additions.

I don’t think we can afford not to, and everyone at the club will know that.
Honestly I don't think he has the players to suit his style and am hoping he can get a couple of decent results to buy himself some time to turn this around. I'm hopeful we will get rid of a few and add a couple of quality additions too :aok:

Eyrie
18-12-2022, 09:01 AM
Honestly I don't think he has the players to suit his style and am hoping he can get a couple of decent results to buy himself some time to turn this around. I'm hopeful we will get rid of a few and add a couple of quality additions too :aok:

Part of being a good manager is adapting your preferred system to suit the players available and part is signing players to suit that preferred system.

Johnson signed enough first team players in the summer that there are questions marks about both aspects.

Right now the main reason for keeping Johnson is that we don't want Kensall and Gordon jnr appointing his replacement after they've got Maloney and Johnson both wrong. Instead we have to sort out the recruitment process first (eg experienced director of football) and only then should we look at Johnson's position because it is only with the new structure in place that we will be in a position to find a good replacement if we decide to sack him.

In practice, that would mean giving Johnson until at least the split unless we end up in the relegation places which is unlikely given how inconsistent the entire league is outwith the Ugly Sisters.

HerbDailly
23-12-2022, 03:10 PM

Dundee Utd - 11
St Mirren - 10
Kilmarnock - 9
Livingston - 9
Hibernian - 8
Motherwell - 8
Rangers - 8
Hearts - 7
Ross County - 6
Celtic - 5
Aberdeen - 4
St Johnstone - 3

The idea Hibs are some anomaly that ploughs through managers at a rate incomparable to any other club in the league is nonsense.What does the last 5 years look like?

Sir David Gray
23-12-2022, 04:08 PM
What does the last 5 years look like?

Dundee Utd - 6
Hibs - 5
Kilmarnock - 5
Ross County - 5
St Mirren - 5
Livingston - 4
Aberdeen - 3
Celtic - 3
Hearts - 3
Motherwell - 3
Rangers - 3
St Johnstone - 2

RIP
23-12-2022, 04:14 PM
A new manager would inevitably set us up for another player churn. We need that merry-go-round like a hole in the head.
That's why we set up the CEO/DOF model before Farmer and Petrie left. We've struggled since making the old mistakes

B.H.F.C
23-12-2022, 04:26 PM
A new manager would inevitably set us up for another player churn. We need that merry-go-round like a hole in the head.
That's why we set up the CEO/DOF model before Farmer and Petrie left. We've struggled since making the old mistakes

Current manager or different one, we need a big churn of players regardless. The squad is crap.

Stubbsy90+2
23-12-2022, 04:32 PM
Current manager or different one, we need a big churn of players regardless. The squad is crap.

The squad is abysmal. No manager is going to be successful with it.

thebausburst
23-12-2022, 05:23 PM
The argument to stick with LJ because of the amount of managers we’ve gone through doesn’t make sense to me, why stick with someone when it’s clearly not working. Yes he’s had injuries to contend with but hey so do all managers to a greater or lesser extent, LJ still doesn’t even know his best 11, there is no clear style of play, consistent formation or positions even (Porto in midfield!). There is no obvious evidence of what they work on in training, apart from the ineffective Newell long throw. Like others I cringe when listening to LJs post match pressers and all his laptop manager speak about overloads and transitions. I’ve not checked but believe his Hibs stats are no better than Maloney, which I can’t say I’m surprised at. If ever a Hibs manager was desperate for a big result, it’s surely LJ and imo his future will be determined by those 2 derby games such is the reality of the disproportionate fan reaction to derby losses.

Mcbizz1998
23-12-2022, 06:12 PM
The argument to stick with LJ because of the amount of managers we’ve gone through doesn’t make sense to me, why stick with someone when it’s clearly not working. Yes he’s had injuries to contend with but hey so do all managers to a greater or lesser extent, LJ still doesn’t even know his best 11, there is no clear style of play, consistent formation or positions even (Porto in midfield!). There is no obvious evidence of what they work on in training, apart from the ineffective Newell long throw. Like others I cringe when listening to LJs post match pressers and all his laptop manager speak about overloads and transitions. I’ve not checked but believe his Hibs stats are no better than Maloney, which I can’t say I’m surprised at. If ever a Hibs manager was desperate for a big result, it’s surely LJ and imo his future will be determined by those 2 derby games such is the reality of the disproportionate fan reaction to derby losses.

Agree. The argument only holds water because we are still in a reasonable position to turn things round (points wise). If we were in Dundee United position I doubt many would be saying that because we have sacked so many mangers, Lee should stay.

Carheenlea
23-12-2022, 06:47 PM

Agree. Posted on another thread that for me changing manager changes nothing really, and you have to look at why managers are continuing to fail rather than simply the current one failing.

Onion
23-12-2022, 06:57 PM

Relegation or a complete collapse in ST sales would guarantee player churn.

Crunchie
23-12-2022, 07:04 PM

I very much doubt you'll be in the minority, and I agree with you.

madhatter
23-12-2022, 07:27 PM
I'd rather we take a serious look at our recruitment team and strategy. It's like they are playing a game, scattergun and nothing resembling squad strengthening/building.

Hanlon and Stevenson still around the first team, with the former being pretty much a guaranteed starter shows the problem. Cup winning legends from 2016 still holding a spot in the match day squad with no meaningful competition.

If recruitment isn't improved then we are only going in one direction and trend of sacking managers will continue.

Ron Gordon and Ben Kensell haven't held back in getting the best commercial people in and those in other departments behind the scenes. Why are we not doing the same with recruitment? Forget sacking managers until recruitment is fixed. We must be around 80-90% of signings having injury issues or simply having zero impact.

Over to you Ron. You and Ben are supposed to be leading us in the right direction as a football club, almost looks like you've forgotten we're a football club.

Greenwich_Hibby
23-12-2022, 08:40 PM
This is Lex Gold / Tom O'Malley / Billy McNeill / Jim Duffy all over again. We waited too long to punt then, bringing in the totally non-committed McNeil. Hearing we are looking at a DoF again. Jeezo, talk about lessons from history, we are in freefall, with another slavering manager. Get rid.

flash
23-12-2022, 08:49 PM
This is Lex Gold / Tom O'Malley / Billy McNeill / Jim Duffy all over again. We waited too long to punt then, bringing in the totally non-committed McNeil. Hearing we are looking at a DoF again. Jeezo, talk about lessons from history, we are in freefall, with another slavering manager. Get rid.

Go to bed.

SMAXXA
23-12-2022, 09:06 PM
Go to bed.

I concur 😂

RIP
23-12-2022, 11:49 PM
Relegation or a complete collapse in ST sales would guarantee player churn.

Interesting. What's your logic? Is that what happened the last time we were relegated? IIRC the squad actually improved?

Eyrie
24-12-2022, 09:50 AM
Interesting. What's your logic? Is that what happened the last time we were relegated? IIRC the squad actually improved?

It helped that most of the squad that got us relegated under Butcher were out of contract so it wasn't difficult to replace them with better.

Donegal Hibby
24-12-2022, 10:11 AM
Read this article on Lee Johnson dismissing sack fears , one interesting line from him about our transfer windows have to be better.
https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/lee-johnson-dismisses-hibs-sack-25831276

WhileTheChief..
24-12-2022, 11:50 AM
Thanks for posting this, Sportsound discussed it the other day but I never heard the interview.

Not a good read though. Too many of his interviews are him begging for time. We've to accept the crap just now because we'll get milk and honey at some point in the future. Total BS.

He's telling us he could write a book on everything that is wrong. That's some endorsement of the systems and processes we had in place before his arrival.

Always passing the buck. He's now saying we need to do better in the transfer window, but a few months ago everything was fine!

He really doesn't have a clue how to fix things.

Mutu
24-12-2022, 01:04 PM

The squad is abysmal. No manager is going to be successful with it.

See, this is where I sort of disagree. I think there are lot of decent players in the squad who would easily do a job at SPFL level. There's just something about Hibs where we don't seem able to make the most of what we have. Classic example is Hallberg who was a generic squad player for us yet plays an important role at St. Johnstone.

I like Johnson, but he has a lot of resources at Hibs and part of the job is making use of them.

Northernhibee
24-12-2022, 01:46 PM
I couldn't be more delighted for the manager.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2022, 02:31 PM
Lee may or may not be the man, but lets never hear David ****ing Martindale mentioned again.

JammyDoidger
24-12-2022, 02:32 PM
He still doesn't help himself, 2 pointless subs again. Surely take Nisbet and Magennis off and wrap them in cotton wool. Give McKirdy a chance.

MWHIBBIES
24-12-2022, 02:36 PM
He still doesn't help himself, 2 pointless subs again. Surely take Nisbet and Magennis off and wrap them in cotton wool. Give McKirdy a chance.

You have to say though, it was certainly good of the medical team to give you personally a detailed report of who needs to be wrapped in cotton wool. Perhaps the ones who have came off are struggling with knocks?

Since452
24-12-2022, 02:56 PM
Well done Lee

Unseen work
24-12-2022, 03:13 PM
Yep, massive well done.

A lot criticising the line up before the game but showed exactly why he picked jt

MrRobot
24-12-2022, 03:16 PM

we won 4-0 :dunno:

Keith_M
24-12-2022, 03:22 PM

I thought he did?

:confused:

RyeSloan
24-12-2022, 03:45 PM

If only that has actually happened..

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221224/d4e1e76b265e0f414b23056acf8b6248.jpg

Diclonius
24-12-2022, 03:47 PM
Don't sack Lee.

JamesHFC
24-12-2022, 03:53 PM
Delighted with that today. Dominated the game throughout and it should have been more than 4. Lee told us it's only a matter of time and hopefully we are now at that turning point.

Not expecting much from Wednesday but under the lights at Easter Road I hope we put on another display.

Hopefully no further suspensions or injuries going into the Derby.

GGTTH

CL0762
24-12-2022, 04:04 PM
Quite telling that after Cadden’s goal they all went over to the manager.

Delighted for him today.

scoopyboy
24-12-2022, 04:08 PM

I think it's fairer to say you don't help yourself:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Unseen work
24-12-2022, 04:10 PM
Quite telling that after Cadden’s goal they all went over to the manager.

Delighted for him today.

Couldn’t help but laugh at the management teams reaction to him scoring, especially Adam Owen who seemed in disbelief 🤣

Maybe a case of them saying to him in the week to start shootings in those positions

Happy like you say that the management and players seem in a good place though.

HIBERNIAN-0762
24-12-2022, 04:11 PM
Celtic will be a big test for us, even when they play crap they win, more of the same today please 👍💚

Silky
24-12-2022, 09:29 PM
Yep, massive well done.

A lot criticising the line up before the game but showed exactly why he picked jt

Of course there was! That goes without saying. I'd be interested to hear why that lineup was so bad, who should have played and what difference it would have made to the result?

Silky
24-12-2022, 09:37 PM

In what way? We have a couple of big games coming up and need as many first pick players fit as possible. May have been carrying knocks, ill or just given a wee rest for Wednesday. It's clear that there Johnson just can't win and is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. And that's a shame as I think he has a chance.

Basildon Hibs
24-12-2022, 11:01 PM
In what way? We have a couple of big games coming up and need as many first pick players fit as possible. May have been carrying knocks, ill or just given a wee rest for Wednesday. It's clear that there Johnson just can't win and is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. And that's a shame as I think he has a chance.

One Swallow doesn't make a Summer ...

RIP
24-12-2022, 11:45 PM

Should get yourself along to a Hibs game sometime.

FitbaFolkKen
24-12-2022, 11:51 PM
See, this is where I sort of disagree. I think there are lot of decent players in the squad who would easily do a job at SPFL level. There's just something about Hibs where we don't seem able to make the most of what we have. Classic example is Hallberg who was a generic squad player for us yet plays an important role at St. Johnstone.

I like Johnson, but he has a lot of resources at Hibs and part of the job is making use of them.

It’s an interesting point, I think the issue is that at somewhere like St Johnstone the guys get more game time than at Easter Road where they are in and out of the team. Maybe a bit less pressure and that allows them to thrive. I quite liked Hallberg, was a tidy midfielder but didn’t really excel at any one thing in the middle.

Donegal Hibby
25-12-2022, 12:21 AM
I'm in the Lee Johnson camp from day one though I said my patience was getting thin with results , I keep seeing something in Lee Johnson team , possession , shots off and on very impressive stats along with some very good football as well . Once again I refer to what he said he needs a couple of transfer windows and I'm all for giving him that ! Btw I checked Aberdeen's forum tonight and 73 % want Jim Goodwin out . Both him and the turkey have a lot in common this Christmas both know what it feels like to get stuffed at Christmas 😂

mjhibby
25-12-2022, 12:34 AM
I'm in the Lee Johnson camp from day one though I said my patience was getting thin with results , I keep seeing something in Lee Johnson team , possession , shots off and on very impressive stats along with some very good football as well . Once again I refer to what he said he needs a couple of transfer windows and I'm all for giving him that ! Btw I checked Aberdeen's forum tonight and 73 % want Jim Goodwin out . Both him and the turkey have a lot in common this Christmas both know what it feels like to get stuffed at Christmas 😂

Lee has had no luck with injuries and the return of mcgennis and Nisbet huge. Losing boyler a huge blow and Porto going not a help but we've known for a while hes going so hopefully at least a decent loan coming in. The fact we are 2 points off third shows if we can get a consistency of team selection results hopefully will follow. Both the dons and hearts look very vulnerable at the back so if we can keep close to them should be a interesting second half of the season.

Unseen work
25-12-2022, 12:52 AM
I wonder if Porteous impact and ability to switch play in centre mid will make Johnson want someone able to play that role and do similar?

Kenneh is very good at breaking up play but his ability on the ball is limited and definitely doesn’t have the long ball in behind in his locker of capable of a quick switch.

Porteous showed the benefit of having this today, especially with the ball to Nisbet in the first half

Donegal Hibby
25-12-2022, 12:57 AM
Lee has had no luck with injuries and the return of mcgennis and Nisbet huge. Losing boyler a huge blow and Porto going not a help but we've known for a while hes going so hopefully at least a decent loan coming in. The fact we are 2 points off third shows if we can get a consistency of team selection results hopefully will follow. Both the dons and hearts look very vulnerable at the back so if we can keep close to them should be a interesting second half of the season.
LJ has been incredibly unlucky imo with both injuries and decision's in games , your right Magennis and Nisbet are huge for us and Boyle is a blow no doubt ! Don't personally see to much difference between hertz , Dons and us and again and I agree consistency of team selection would be a bonus for us which I think we haven't had . All to play for imo .
GGTTH 🇳🇬🇳🇬

Unseen work
25-12-2022, 01:00 AM
LJ has been incredibly unlucky imo with both injuries and decision's in games , your right Magennis and Nisbet are huge for us and Boyle is a blow no doubt ! Don't personally see to much difference between hertz , Dons and us and again and I agree consistency of team selection would be a bonus for us which I think we haven't had . All to play for imo .
GGTTH 🇳🇬🇳🇬

I think it speaks volumes about how we struggled to score for a while and since we have our quality players back we’ve scored 6 in 2 games with the injury prone players scoring 4 of them.

Hopefully they stay fit and kick on.

Youan having a striker like Nisbet who is able to hold the ball up and wiling runners like Magennis will hopefully add to the attacking threat.

Since452
25-12-2022, 08:24 AM
I thought we were excellent at Ibrox and Rangers had to really raise their game in the second half and their superior quality eventually showed. We were very good yesterday also. Whatever LJ has been doing on the training ground over the WC break it's worked. I've not seen stats like that for a while. 27 shots, 78% possession. Promising signs.

Halmyre Hibee
25-12-2022, 10:01 AM
All we need is a bit of consistency, a wee bit luck, stay injury free, possibly a few good January signings and 3rd place is still possible. Nice to get a win yesterday GGTTH.

Billy Whizz
25-12-2022, 10:24 AM
I wonder if Porteous impact and ability to switch play in centre mid will make Johnson want someone able to play that role and do similar?

Kenneh is very good at breaking up play but his ability on the ball is limited and definitely doesn’t have the long ball in behind in his locker of capable of a quick switch.

Porteous showed the benefit of having this today, especially with the ball to Nisbet in the first half

I agree, we need a ball playing player in this role

Ozyhibby
25-12-2022, 10:39 AM
I agree, we need a ball playing player in this role

That is also good at breaking up the play. [emoji106]

Billy Whizz
25-12-2022, 10:42 AM
That is also good at breaking up the play. [emoji106]

A bit late for Hibs with Porteous in that role now
Could be without him and Newell for the cup game v Hearts, and we’ll miss him for the League game at Tynie, but we need to get used to that

Ozyhibby
25-12-2022, 11:39 AM
A bit late for Hibs with Porteous in that role now
Could be without him and Newell for the cup game v Hearts, and we’ll miss him for the League game at Tynie, but we need to get used to that

I’m assuming Porteous will be away in January?

Donegal Hibby
26-12-2022, 04:11 PM
Ange postecoglou has summed things up exactly what I think about Lee Johnson's Hibs , it's why I've repeatedly said we have to give him a couple more transfer Windows ,Lee Johnson as also stated he needs this in the past.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/celtic-manager-ange-postecoglou-makes-case-for-change-and-explains-what-hibs-boss-lee-johnson-is-lacking-3966193

bingo70
26-12-2022, 04:20 PM
Ange postecoglou has summed things up exactly what I think about Lee Johnson's Hibs , it's why I've repeatedly said we have to give him a couple more transfer Windows ,Lee Johnson as also stated he needs this in the past.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/celtic-manager-ange-postecoglou-makes-case-for-change-and-explains-what-hibs-boss-lee-johnson-is-lacking-3966193

I’m happy for him to get time and I’ve never been calling for him to be sacked although I was getting a bit restless. That said though, no manager is going to get multiple windows unless they can get short term results.

Hopefully we have a good January and we can kick on with LJ in charge in the second half of the season.

Donegal Hibby
26-12-2022, 04:36 PM
I’m happy for him to get time and I’ve never been calling for him to be sacked although I was getting a bit restless. That said though, no manager is going to get multiple windows unless they can get short term results.

Hopefully we have a good January and we can kick on with LJ in charge in the second half of the season.
Even though I've been supporting him since he came in , I've also been getting restless about results too and I agree we are in the results business though January is a tough window , hopefully we clear a few out and get a few in . I'm hoping LJ can have a reasonable good season so he can last till the summer window when we can really get what he needs in.

Dashing Bob S
27-12-2022, 07:12 PM
Even though I've been supporting him since he came in , I've also been getting restless about results too and I agree we are in the results business though January is a tough window , hopefully we clear a few out and get a few in . I'm hoping LJ can have a reasonable good season so he can last till the summer window when we can really get what he needs in.

Agreed.

Since452
27-12-2022, 09:50 PM
When we've clicked this season it's the most enjoyment I've had watching Hibs in years.

JamesHFC
01-01-2023, 07:01 PM
I was lucky enough to spend half an hour tonight speaking to him. He is a top man, I called for him to go a couple of weeks ago but after getting some insight I understand where he is coming from. Win tomorrow and it all changes.

WhileTheChief..
01-01-2023, 07:15 PM
^^Can you shed any light on what he said to help some of us understand? I don’t see what he’s trying at all.

JamesHFC
01-01-2023, 07:20 PM
^^Can you shed any light on what he said to help some of us understand? I don’t see what he’s trying at all.

I've shared some inside info to the private group. Other than that all I will share is that Mykolo isn't ready for tomorrow and McKirdy won't start.

Bridge hibs
01-01-2023, 07:28 PM
I was lucky enough to spend half an hour tonight speaking to him. He is a top man, I called for him to go a couple of weeks ago but after getting some insight I understand where he is coming from. Win tomorrow and it all changes.Can you share with us peasants if he has some plans for incoming transfers ?

Oh and as per inside info from another poster, is his taxi booked for his exit if we lose tomorrow ?

LustForLeith
01-01-2023, 07:31 PM
I don’t think he’ll go even if we get beat tomorrow

bingo70
01-01-2023, 07:34 PM

I don’t think he’ll get sacked if we lose tomorrow but he’d be a dead man walking and it would be a matter of time until he got punted.

Diclonius
01-01-2023, 07:35 PM

We will, and he will, and when he is sacked we should be organising large scale protests against the ownership. Three sackings in just over a year is on them.

SMAXXA
01-01-2023, 07:36 PM
We will, and he will, and when he is sacked we should be organising large scale protests against the ownership. Three sackings in just over a year is on them.

He won’t be sacked regardless of the result and will get the January window to address things.

Unseen work
01-01-2023, 07:41 PM
He won’t be sacked regardless of the result and will get the January window to address things.

Good and rightly so imo.

B.H.F.C
01-01-2023, 07:41 PM

I just don’t see how we can sit here and say he’ll get this or get that to fix things. I’m not convinced that he’ll get the bullet if we lose tomorrow but that would be 9 defeats in 11. That kind of form can’t just be allowed to run on indefinitely. The only thing that keeps him in a job is some positive results in the next 2-3 weeks IMO.

loanheadhibby
01-01-2023, 07:47 PM

If we lose by 3 or 4 tomorrow, do you honestly think the club won’t react?

He may well survive a narrow 1 goal defeat but a dismal performance and defeat should be the end.

Hopefully we get some sort of result tomorrow to buy him time to make changes in January window.

JamesHFC
01-01-2023, 07:49 PM

👌

Unseen work
01-01-2023, 07:50 PM
👌

You able to say anything else he was saying?

I’m one that wants him to keep his job so would be intrigued to hear what he said that made you leave with optimism.

JamesHFC
01-01-2023, 07:51 PM
From what I gather is that recruitment is a huge issue at the moment.

Shankland is apparently way out of our budget.

McGeady is the only real Johnson signing

2 out and 1 in expected this month.

B.H.F.C
01-01-2023, 07:53 PM

I don’t expect a huge deal from this window but if it’s only 1 in, that doesn’t fix enough of the problems we have.

JamesHFC
01-01-2023, 07:54 PM
You able to say anything else he was saying?

I’m one that wants him to keep his job so would be intrigued to hear what he said that made you leave with optimism.

He's a very honest man. He told me he allowed Block 43 or whatever into the training ground today. He thinks Hearts are beatable. Certain comments made not suitable for this forum. As I mentioned, Mykolo isn't ready for tomorrow. McKirdy not starting.

JDH won't be joining Forest Green but an Italian team are a possibility.

Diclonius
01-01-2023, 07:55 PM

I certainly hope so but I can't see it.

B.H.F.C
01-01-2023, 07:56 PM
He's a very honest man. He told me he allowed Block 43 or whatever into the training ground today. He thinks Hearts are beatable. Certain comments made not suitable for this forum. As I mentioned, Mykolo isn't ready for tomorrow. McKirdy not starting.

He mentioned in his press on Friday about having been in touch with the ‘singing section’ but didn’t know what that meant so that’s interesting.

Bridge hibs
01-01-2023, 07:57 PM

2 out and 1 in expected this month.Shankland ? 😵

JamesHFC
01-01-2023, 07:57 PM
He mentioned in his press on Friday about having been in touch with the ‘singing section’ but didn’t know what that meant so that’s interesting.

He thinks fans are fundamental to a football club and that managers are obviously open to critique but the players at the end of the day are the ones to turn up and do their bit.

HibbyAndy
01-01-2023, 07:58 PM

I'd hope so or their would be no point turning up tomorrow

JamesHFC
01-01-2023, 07:58 PM
Shankland ? 😵

Miles out of our budget apparently. Thousands of pounds.

B.H.F.C
01-01-2023, 08:01 PM
He thinks fans are fundamental to a football club and that managers are obviously open to critique but the players at the end of the day are the ones to turn up and do their bit.

Players do need to do more although the issue is that some of them just don’t have more to give. If we only sign one player Johnson is going to need to come up with something to get more out of the current group and that’s what puts him in a dangerous position for me, because he’s not shown much during the current run to suggest he can.

04Sauzee
01-01-2023, 08:02 PM

2 out and 1 in? No chance

Bridge hibs
01-01-2023, 08:04 PM

2 out and 1 in expected this month.The 2 out and 1 in concerns me, I assume its because we dont have a pot to piss in after *****ing it on others in the last window. I would assume its a centre half if Porteous is expected to go

bingo70
01-01-2023, 08:04 PM

2 out and 1 in won’t be enough to turn this team around so regardless of how nice a guy he is, how much he gets it or whatever, he’ll ultimately be judged on results.

He’s also made a big deal about needing another transfer window to mould his side. Signing one player won’t do that so does that mean we’ll have the second half of the season with him pleading for the summer transfer window.

I’m not desperate for him to get sacked, I think he could turn it around but he needs to avoid defeat tomorrow.

The Modfather
01-01-2023, 08:12 PM

1 in! If Porto goes we will at best stand still from where we are now. “Exciting” times. Ron is going to have to dig deep as 1 addition isn’t enough.

Unseen work
01-01-2023, 08:15 PM

Struggling to believe the bit about McGeady being his only real signing

Kuharevych was mentioned as getting due to his links with City, Tavares is someone he’s tracked for years and whilst Marshall sounded like it was agreed before he previously tried to sign him and doubt he turned his nose up at.

Did he not want Boyle?

McKirdy is be surprised if that is someone he never wanted

If he never wanted anyone bar McGeady surely he has to put his foot down. Who is he suggesting? Why are we not getting his suggestions?

Is it because it’s guys like Shankland that’s way outwith our budget?

A lot of questions and the answer is probably as always somewhere in the middle.

I would also add no manager now a days has complete say in transfers and the majority of teams probably have 50% based on Wyscout etc

I hope for a lot more than 2 out and 1 in for the January window though. There’s about 10 that could leave the club tomorrow and wouldn’t be noticeable in the slightest

B.H.F.C
01-01-2023, 08:17 PM
2 out and 1 in won’t be enough to turn this team around so regardless of how nice a guy he is, how much he gets it or whatever, he’ll ultimately be judged on results.

He’s also made a big deal about needing another transfer window to mould his side. Signing one player won’t do that so does that mean we’ll have the second half of the season with him pleading for the summer transfer window.

I’m not desperate for him to get sacked, I think he could turn it around but he needs to avoid defeat tomorrow.

This is pretty much where I am. First bit about results is the key bit for me. I think just how bad we’ve been and how bad his/our results have been is being overlooked a bit at times. Tomorrow is our 20th league game of the season. To me a lot of what I read would be ok after 6 or 7 games but not at this point with the kind of form we’re in.

It’s mad that we still have a realistic chance of achieving a decent finish in the league but that will very quickly disappear if we don’t start picking up points quickly. We need to go here and get something tomorrow.

bingo70
01-01-2023, 08:18 PM
1 in! If Porto goes we will at best stand still from where we are now. “Exciting” times. Ron is going to have to dig deep as 1 addition isn’t enough.

I agree, I suppose trying to play devils advocate though, from the first half of the season we will also be adding Magennis, Nisbet and McGeady. All three missed the first half of the season but returned in recent weeks.

I don’t think that’ll be enough but I suspect that’s the clubs logic.

I think they see Fish as being Porto’s replacement.

Sir David Gray
01-01-2023, 08:21 PM

That's an extremely frightening prospect.

SMAXXA
01-01-2023, 08:26 PM
If we lose by 3 or 4 tomorrow, do you honestly think the club won’t react?

He may well survive a narrow 1 goal defeat but a dismal performance and defeat should be the end.

Hopefully we get some sort of result tomorrow to buy him time to make changes in January window.

Yes the club won’t is what I think.

Re a couple of comments above on this, if we lose tomorrow it doesn’t change anything really only to further illustrate the issues we have had with player recruitment. We know our squad is weaker than hearts, we know we have failings and we know where we need to address, a loss tomorrow wouldn’t come as a huge shock to most of us fans. So can we really expect things to magically change overnight, the issues we are stuck with today will be there tomorrow and it takes time to address unfortunately. I do think the manor of any defeat may tell us something, regardless who we put out the management have within their gift to motivate and organise them. Issue for me is when you look at the goals we have conceded most you could attribute to individual error which is hard to legislate for.

I have said before and will say it again I don’t think we are as bad as some make us out to be and for me LJ should be given more time certainly the Jan window. Issue for me is id have expected us to know what we need and who we want and to bring them in early. Nature of football is could a manager survive the whole January not getting a win until the issues are addressed, probably not so club need to move quickly regardless of how difficult this window can be and getting players moved out. Look at Celtic for example they are the team that probably least need new players and have signed 3 before the window even opened that’s organised planning and good business.

Back to tomorrow, what I would say is I wouldnt write Hibs off, worst teams than the current team have gone there and won so we defo have a chance. It’s the hope that kills you 😀

Unseen work
01-01-2023, 08:27 PM
I agree, I suppose trying to play devils advocate though, from the first half of the season we will also be adding Magennis, Nisbet and McGeady. All three missed the first half of the season but returned in recent weeks.

Surely no one would be that naive about fish.

If he’s good enough to replace Porteous he should be starting now whilst Porteous is in midfield

The Modfather
01-01-2023, 08:31 PM

A fair point about Nisbet, McGeady & Magennis. Nisbet will be like a new key signing, but the club would be hoping for 4th or 5th window lucky, banking on Magennis’ fitness. Mcgeady, meh, but might offer something.

I can’t believe it will be only 1 in. I’ve almost checked out of this season already and waiting on next season. If it’s an underwhelming window, when yet again major surgery is needed, short of blooding the U19s think I’ll inevitably save my time and energy for the summer. I don’t worry I’d miss much.

Ozyhibby
01-01-2023, 08:32 PM
Johnson is a dead man walking already imo. A positive result tomorrow will only delay the inevitable. He doesn’t have the players to sustain any improvement. He missed his chance to improve the squad in August and he won’t be able to get players in quick enough in January to turn it around before things get so bad the club act.

Donegal Hibby
01-01-2023, 08:33 PM
Surely no one would be that naive about fish.

If he’s good enough to replace Porteous he should be starting now whilst Porteous is in midfield
If Porto goes in January it probably means the one coming in will be a central defender which isn't solving our midfield problems which is extremely worrying.

Allant1981
01-01-2023, 08:37 PM
I've shared some inside info to the private group. Other than that all I will share is that Mykolo isn't ready for tomorrow and McKirdy won't start.

The Italian club isn't really a secret though is it, it was reported by the scotsman this morning

SMAXXA
01-01-2023, 08:38 PM
Johnson is a dead man walking already imo. A positive result tomorrow will only delay the inevitable. He doesn’t have the players to sustain any improvement. He missed his chance to improve the squad in August and he won’t be able to get players in quick enough in January to turn it around before things get so bad the club act.

Did he miss his chance or simply didn’t have time to get players he wanted so had to approve deals that were put to him to fill certain positions? I think it was the latter personally which is why he needs to grasp January regardless of how difficult a month it can be.