PDA

View Full Version : Porto - January or Summer?

Greenbeard
15-12-2022, 10:00 AM
Views?
I'm on the fence until after the derby. If we fail to pick up points (or only one or two) over the next four matches and drop right into the play-off zone, I'd suggest we need to keep him even if it costs a few thousand. I've no idea what sort of transfer value we're talking about for a January move. Six figures? Would we be in a position to negotiate a decent sell-on clause?
Glass half empty, but imagine if we took low six figures now, but we end up losing a play-off and dropping down. It wouldn't matter how good the sell-on clause was.
But if we can grab at least six points (preferably a few more) and just as importantly, are playing well, maybe cash him in?
Or would selling now with a loan back for the rest of the season be best?

silverhibee
15-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Views?
I'm on the fence until after the derby. If we fail to pick up points (or only one or two) over the next four matches and drop right into the play-off zone, I'd suggest we need to keep him even if it costs a few thousand. I've no idea what sort of transfer value we're talking about for a January move. Six figures? Would we be in a position to negotiate a decent sell-on clause?
Glass half empty, but imagine if we took low six figures now, but we end up losing a play-off and dropping down. It wouldn't matter how good the sell-on clause was.
But if we can grab at least six points (preferably a few more) and just as importantly, are playing well, maybe cash him in?

It’s not the club’s choice anymore, Ryan will be here until the summer and we support him until then.

jeffers
15-12-2022, 10:15 AM
Views?

I’d sell now if we could. It’s been done to death but he’s not having a good season relative to his actual ability and who knows where his head is at.

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2022, 10:21 AM
He can go now

Concentrate on what we have and who wants to be here

Give Billy The Fish a go

As others have said international debut apart not been a great season for Ryan

Wish him all the best for the future apart from when playing against us if that proves to be the case obviously

Springbank
15-12-2022, 10:22 AM
Score the winner in the Derby cup tie, then announce where you're off to the following day

That would be leaving in style

Tyler Durden
15-12-2022, 10:54 AM
It’s not the club’s choice anymore, Ryan will be here until the summer and we support him until then.

Lee Johnson is clearly doing his best to get him moved on in January. It doesn't seem unrealistic that a Stoke or Sheff Wed could come up with say £400k and then the player would have a decision to make.

Definitely in our interests to move him on, as long as the manager gets the money to reinvest immediately.

hibby rae
15-12-2022, 10:55 AM
Depends how much we can get in January, and if we are still in the Scottish Cup after the Hearts game.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-12-2022, 10:57 AM
I'll support whatever is in the best interests of the club. That's always paramount to what's in the best interests of the player.

hibee-boys
15-12-2022, 11:02 AM
I suspect the club will want him moved on should a reasonable fee be agreed and Ryan happy to move. He’ll look after himself, as I’d expect any professional to do, but if it is the club’s preference for him to be sold then I hope he bears that in mind rather than leaving for nothing in the summer. As others have stated, is he irreplaceable based on form this year, I don’t think so.

Donegal Hibby
15-12-2022, 11:08 AM
Depends on the money we get offered for him though if it's anywhere near reasonable under the circumstances I'd let him go . He's undoubtedly our best defender though for weeks now he's been our poorest and cost us goals imo.The club is going to lose a lot of money and for months we have been left wondering will he sign or not which is his right to do so but I suspect he knew ages ago he was leaving and I feel for a Hibs supporter he has handled the whole thing extremely badly .

Lago
15-12-2022, 11:42 AM
Pretty sure Porteous and his agent have a pretty good idea of what's on offer elsewhere, it will be what's the best financial move that will determine his leaving, Hibs have little to no influence in the decision.

superfurryhibby
15-12-2022, 11:47 AM
|it's out of the clubs hands, but if there are offers and he declines to go then what?

B.H.F.C
15-12-2022, 11:48 AM
Pretty sure Porteous and his agent have a pretty good idea of what's on offer elsewhere, it will be what's the best financial move that will determine his leaving, Hibs have little to no influence in the decision.

Hibs will have quite a big day unless a suitable offer comes in.

It’s public knowledge that he’s away so I don’t think him signing a pre contract would make much difference. Think it’s quite clear Hibs would rather do a deal in January though.

Hibbyradge
15-12-2022, 11:50 AM
|it's out of the clubs hands, but if there are offers and he declines to go then what?

He stays.

ancient hibee
15-12-2022, 11:55 AM
Depends on the money we get offered for him though if it's anywhere near reasonable under the circumstances I'd let him go . He's undoubtedly our best defender though for weeks now he's been our poorest and cost us goals imo.The club is going to lose a lot of money and for months we have been left wondering will he sign or not which is his right to do so but I suspect he knew ages ago he was leaving and I feel for a Hibs supporter he has handled the whole thing extremely badly .

What makes you think that if a club makes an offer he'll want to go to them? The club isn't losing a lot of money-there hasn't been much interest in him in the last transfer windows.If he's playing so poorly why would anyone want to sigh him? There are plenty of young strong central defenders about these days.

Stubbsy90+2
15-12-2022, 12:52 PM
Sell him ASAP.

Since452
15-12-2022, 01:01 PM
Cheerio Ryan

eastmainsmsh
15-12-2022, 01:01 PM
Sell if a good offer

CL0762
15-12-2022, 01:16 PM
Lee Johnson is clearly doing his best to get him moved on in January. It doesn't seem unrealistic that a Stoke or Sheff Wed could come up with say £400k and then the player would have a decision to make.

Definitely in our interests to move him on, as long as the manager gets the money to reinvest immediately.

There’s not a chance a team will pay £400k for Porteous when they can get him 6 months later for free.

I reckon we’d be lucky to get around £150k.

bigwheel
15-12-2022, 01:38 PM
There’s not a chance a team will pay £400k for Porteous when they can get him 6 months later for free.

I reckon we’d be lucky to get around £150k.

We won’t sell him for 150k. 400k would be little for a championship team to secure a player they were targeting .

If we don’t get a decent fee, I’m expecting him to stay until his contract is up

HibsGW
15-12-2022, 02:45 PM
We won’t sell him for 150k. 400k would be little for a championship team to secure a player they were targeting .

If we don’t get a decent fee, I’m expecting him to stay until his contract is up

Agree, it’s not so much that with 6 months left he’s worth 400k, it’s that if a club acts now and pays 400k for him, they’ll get him tied down. In normal circumstances he’d be a great buy for most English clubs at 400k, alternatively they wait for him to become a free agent and join a free for all.

Allyg69
15-12-2022, 03:10 PM
Views?

If we can get some dosh then take it. Not as if he is a superstar that we can't do without for the remainder of the season

Donegal Hibby
15-12-2022, 03:17 PM
What makes you think that if a club makes an offer he'll want to go to them? The club isn't losing a lot of money-there hasn't been much interest in him in the last transfer windows.If he's playing so poorly why would anyone want to sigh him? There are plenty of young strong central defenders about these days.
Depends on the clubs that comes in for him I suppose though clubs like Sheffield United who have a chance of going up to the English premier are rumoured to be interested which you would think would interest him . For me he's a young international player who's quality and I'd have put his market value at 1.5 to around 2million though sadly we won't get anything like that now for him due to contract status

ancient hibee
15-12-2022, 03:24 PM
Depends on the clubs that comes in for him I suppose though clubs like Sheffield United who have a chance of going up to the English premier are rumoured to be interested which you would think would interest him . For me he's a young international player who's quality and I'd have put his market value at 1.5 to around 2million though sadly we won't get anything like that now for him due to contract status

Yes if he picks the right club(or the right club picks him) I’m sure he’ll go on to have an excellent career.

silverhibee
15-12-2022, 03:33 PM

In our interest, yes, but is it in Ryan’s best interests, he could agree terms with another club in January and get £400k signing on fee in the summer.

silverhibee
15-12-2022, 03:34 PM

He sees out his contract.

scoopyboy
15-12-2022, 04:11 PM
What a lot of people are overlooking here is it doesn't really matter if Hibs get an acceptable offer, if he doesn't want to go he doesn't go, end of.

IMHO he will see his contract out and sign for whoever suits him best.

bigwheel
15-12-2022, 04:17 PM
What a lot of people are overlooking here is it doesn't really matter if Hibs get an acceptable offer, if he doesn't want to go he doesn't go, end of.

Think people understand that ..but I’d also add, anyone bidding enough to get Hibs to want to trade is likely to be a decent club and may well be attractive to Porto …

scoopyboy
15-12-2022, 04:22 PM
Think people understand that ..but I’d also add, anyone bidding enough to get Hibs to want to trade is likely to be a decent club and may well be attractive to Porto …

ya reckon, just read back the comments on this thread.

A club may well bid that is attractive to Porto, same club could also offer him a pre contract and offer him the money directly rather than pay Hibs a fee. If Porto is attracted to a particular club in January it's likely they still will be in May.

Smartie
15-12-2022, 04:24 PM

I also think it's important not to overlook the fact that Hibs get to choose whether or not they play him every week and that they also have options regarding whether they accept or decline any of the (presumably derisory) offers that might come our way.

Porteous has always been hot and cold and has never really performed consistently at a level that he's capable for us. Who knows what his level might be going forward?

Rocky has shown a cracking attitude this season to prove the doubters wrong and for me, he'd be the first choice right sided CB for now. I thought it was a mistake to bench him for Porteous when we went to 4 at the back in our last game (even though the 4 did well and Porteous played well).

I just don't really trust Porteous, never really have and to be perfectly honest, I'd like him gone. I actually think he's got the potential to be a cracking player but he's wasting his and our time at Hibs imo.

scoopyboy
15-12-2022, 04:28 PM
I also think it's important not to overlook the fact that Hibs get to choose whether or not they play him every week and that they also have options regarding whether they accept or decline any of the (presumably derisory) offers that might come our way.

Porteous has always been hot and cold and has never really performed consistently at a level that he's capable for us. Who knows what his level might be going forward?

Rocky has shown a cracking attitude this season to prove the doubters wrong and for me, he'd be the first choice right sided CB for now. I thought it was a mistake to bench him for Porteous when we went to 4 at the back in our last game (even though the 4 did well and Porteous played well).

I just don't really trust Porteous, never really have and to be perfectly honest, I'd like him gone. I actually think he's got the potential to be a cracking player but he's wasting his and our time at Hibs imo.

Agreed, a very good post with valid comments.

KWJ
15-12-2022, 04:29 PM
He can go now

Concentrate on what we have and who wants to be here

Give Billy The Fish a go

As others have said international debut apart not been a great season for Ryan

Wish him all the best for the future apart from when playing against us if that proves to be the case obviously

This for me, take what we can get in January. If we're in risk of relegation for the rest of the season then I don't really see holding onto Porteous as being a factor in surviving it.

If it's announced or strongly rumoured that he's going to Rantic then it'll only add to the hostile atmosphere.

keep the faith
15-12-2022, 05:10 PM
He is not interested in looking after the club like many other former players (who didn't profess to be hibs supporters) did. He should go now as far as I'm concerned.

J-C
15-12-2022, 05:17 PM
It's not always great to have a player hanging around waiting for his contract to run down, is he motivated? For our benefit it's better to move him on now so we can re invest any money and get players in who want to play for us. If he decides to run down his contract, what do we do? still play him or put a youngster on the bench.

Eyrie
15-12-2022, 05:21 PM
Agree, it’s not so much that with 6 months left he’s worth 400k, it’s that if a club acts now and pays 400k for him, they’ll get him tied down. In normal circumstances he’d be a great buy for most English clubs at 400k, alternatively they wait for him to become a free agent and join a free for all.

Most importantly, his new club will be able to play him this season.

That is the reason we could get an acceptable bid.

1875Sean
15-12-2022, 05:29 PM
Hibs need to learn from this and act, if the likes of Nisbets etc are not going to sign a new deal then we need to try and get the most you can for him in the summer rather than leave it until 6 months before his contract expires

Iain G
15-12-2022, 05:39 PM
Porto is a great place in the warm sunshine, with nice bars to sit outside, so not January for me 😁

Tyler Durden
15-12-2022, 05:46 PM

I would hope people do understand that.

There are a number of variables. If you have a team fighting relegation in the Championship or looking for promotion from League One, they want him now and the summer offers no certainty.

Porto also knows he could break his leg next week. I think he’ll find it hard to turn down any deal Hibs accept from an English team in January.

If he thinks he wants to to Rangers for example, then he sits tight.

Smartie
15-12-2022, 06:40 PM
Porteous on Sky intimating that he'd like to play in a different league...

He actually came across quite well there and it was hard to argue with what he had to say.

Tyler Durden
15-12-2022, 06:40 PM
Porteous interview with Luke Shanley on Sky there and makes clear he’d like to go to a different league. Fair play to him

Not In The Know
15-12-2022, 06:41 PM
Who the F thought allowing Porteous to have that interview with sky was a good idea. Considering the feeling in the support at the mo.

HIBS NUTS
15-12-2022, 06:44 PM
Who the F thought allowing Porteous to have that interview with sky was a good idea. Considering the feeling in the support at the mo.
He states he will probably be moving to a different league, that’s what most supporters want.
i thought he spoke very well

Dobosz83
15-12-2022, 06:47 PM

Yeah, that was my immediate thought on seeing the ‘Exclusive’.

Not In The Know
15-12-2022, 06:48 PM
What positives did it do hibs. First game back, national audience, clubs needs some positive spin and he talks about how it was a downer coming back to hibs after Scotland game (prob true) but not what we need to hear.

J-C
15-12-2022, 07:01 PM

Sounded like he's had his head turned on international duty, kept mentioning that and McGinn.

BILLYHIBS
15-12-2022, 07:09 PM
Take it all back

Porto you absolute legend

Get in !

Glory Lurker
15-12-2022, 08:19 PM
Should have heard the pundits at half time on Radio Scotland. Making out as if all either of the cheeks need to do is make an offer.

Alfred E Newman
16-12-2022, 05:58 PM
What positives did it do hibs. First game back, national audience, clubs needs some positive spin and he talks about how it was a downer coming back to hibs after Scotland game (prob true) but not what we need to hear.

That comment made my blood boil. Why on earth should the training with the international side be more intense than training with Hibs?
If that is the case then we are all being taken for mugs.

Lago
16-12-2022, 06:03 PM
Sounded like he's had his head turned on international duty, kept mentioning that and McGinn.
Was a certainty to happen

LunasBoots
16-12-2022, 06:07 PM

Yup, someone's already spoken to him behind the scenes I think, get that feeling anyway.

CapitalGreen
16-12-2022, 06:17 PM
Porteous had decided he wasn’t staying long before he was called up to the Scotland squad.

Jim44
16-12-2022, 06:20 PM
Unless we get a really decent fee now for RP, with a good replacement coming in, I think we should use his services till the end of the season. He might not be flavour of the month now, but, without suitable replacement, I don’t see the point of shipping him out for a nominal fee. I trust him enough to give 100% till the end of the season.

wookie70
16-12-2022, 09:23 PM
Unless we get a really decent fee now for RP, with a good replacement coming in, I think we should use his services till the end of the season. He might not be flavour of the month now, but, without suitable replacement, I don’t see the point of shipping him out for a nominal fee. I trust him enough to give 100% till the end of the season.

If we can get about 250K I'd take it. If LJ thinks playing him in midfield is a good idea for the rest of teh games I'd be happy to see him leave for nothing asap. I'd rather give Fish a go and cut our losses/gains with Ryan.

Mrimbetween
16-12-2022, 10:28 PM
I had RP to score anytime he was 16's usually do first as well but shat it which was silly, but still got a wee return and not for the first time with Ryan to score. will miss that wee interest

Tyler Durden
16-12-2022, 10:42 PM
That comment made my blood boil. Why on earth should the training with the international side be more intense than training with Hibs?
If that is the case then we are all being taken for mugs.

Not that tough to figure out is it?

Training with Andy Robertson and Che Evans versus the daily grind of his normal job where he is guaranteed to play every game

pacorosssco
16-12-2022, 10:44 PM
Hibs got it wrong in not forcing contract a year ago. He's ready to move on test self. For him and club best do deal now whatever is on table. Can't have player who will fear injury going out of contract

allezsauzee
17-12-2022, 12:33 PM
I'd keep him until the summer. We lose the transfer fee but we'd lose a lot more if we go down and I have neither the confidence in the other centre halves at the club nor the recruitment team to find a suitable replacement.

DickieDastardly
17-12-2022, 01:31 PM
He need to move now to progress his career, he’s not a young boy anymore.

I don’t agree with the “he owes us a contract” , football is ruthless and if he hadn’t been an asset the club would’ve binned him, it’s been a mutually beneficial period.

Good luck to him wherever he goes (so long as it’s not the ugly sisters).

WhileTheChief..
17-12-2022, 02:24 PM
Hope he stays until the summer. He's our best player in that position.

h1bs4life
17-12-2022, 03:24 PM
He need to move now to progress his career, he’s not a young boy anymore.

I don’t agree with the “he owes us a contract” , football is ruthless and if he hadn’t been an asset the club would’ve binned him, it’s been a mutually beneficial period.

Good luck to him wherever he goes (so long as it’s not the ugly sisters).

Definitely needs to move on to progress his career it sounded like he is still on his original 5 year contract which was probably not the greatest paying. We have had plenty time to offer better terms new contract
Any Scottish based player maybe with exception of the old firm ones will have there head turned when they hear how much money there is in England regarding him saying Scotlands training much more intensive that’s a bit of a worry international squad or club squad training should be intensive.
Always liked Porteous has all the attributes to be a good centre half and will wish him all the best .
Reserve the right to change my opinion if he signs for one of the erse cheeks

Not In The Know
17-12-2022, 03:29 PM
Yup, someone's already spoken to him behind the scenes I think, get that feeling anyway.

lots quite simple really. His Scotland team mates are on 40-80 grand a week and he wants some of that.