Broke his leg in a skiing accident.

Just heard that. Surprised he was allowed to ski

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-12-2022, 12:23 PM

Hefty insurance bill!

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2022, 12:31 PM
Disaster for Bayern. Lucas Hernandez out for a long time too. 2 key players.

This will be difficult for Neuer to come back from, he'll be 37 after it.

Probably the best goalie I've ever seen. Took the position to a new level.

Dmas
10-12-2022, 12:42 PM
Disaster for Bayern. Lucas Hernandez out for a long time too. 2 key players.

This will be difficult for Neuer to come back from, he'll be 37 after it.

Probably the best goalie I've ever seen. Took the position to a new level.

Really tailed off though I thought last couple years I thought ter Stegan was the better option for Germany but as you say prime neuer was unbelievable

Danderhall Hibs
10-12-2022, 12:44 PM

Yeah - I reckon it’ll all be downhill for him now.

Hibernia&Alba
10-12-2022, 12:47 PM

Skiing doesn't sound like a good idea for a footballer.

delbert
10-12-2022, 02:27 PM
Skiing doesn't sound like a good idea for a footballer.

Football turned out to be a pretty crap idea for the German national side as well !

cameronw-hfc
10-12-2022, 03:12 PM
Really tailed off though I thought last couple years I thought ter Stegan was the better option for Germany but as you say prime neuer was unbelievable

My controversial take is that he's never been as good as folk say. Decent shot stopped that was excellent with his feet, but besides 2/3 years he's been pretty mistake-prone and only got a game for Germany because when he was dropped the Bayern President threatened to remove all Bayern players from the NT if he wasn't reinstated as #1.

Good keeper, never in a million years one of the all time best though. Revolutionary yes, but plenty technically better goalkeepers over the years.

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2022, 03:25 PM
My controversial take is that he's never been as good as folk say. Decent shot stopped that was excellent with his feet, but besides 2/3 years he's been pretty mistake-prone and only got a game for Germany because when he was dropped the Bayern President threatened to remove all Bayern players from the NT if he wasn't reinstated as #1.

Good keeper, never in a million years one of the all time best though. Revolutionary yes, but plenty technically better goalkeepers over the years.

No offense man but this is without doubt one of the worst takes I've ever seen on here. Where to start. You can't seriously rate Martinez as one of the best in the world and Neuer was "a decent shot stopper".

World class shot stopper. Has been for over 15 years. Reaches things few others do, 2nd to none in the 1v1, fast off his line.

Never heard that story about the Bayern president, sounds like utter pish and not something he'd have any control over. Neuer was Germany number 1 well before he joined Bayern. He had a dip in form after serious injury where it's reasonable to suggest ter Stegen should've got in Jersey for 2018, but Neuer bounced back and was exceptional as Bayern won the treble.

Many players and great keepers have said Neuer is brilliant and one of the best ever. Van Gaal, pep, flick, lowe, heynckes all had him as their undisputed number 1.

cameronw-hfc
10-12-2022, 03:35 PM
No offense man but this is without doubt one of the worst takes I've ever seen on here. Where to start. You can't seriously rate Martinez as one of the best in the world and Neuer was "a decent shot stopper".

World class shot stopper. Has been for over 15 years. Reaches things few others do, 2nd to none in the 1v1, fast off his line.

Never heard that story about the Bayern president, sounds like utter pish and not something he'd have any control over. Neuer was Germany number 1 well before he joined Bayern. He had a dip in form after serious injury where it's reasonable to suggest ter Stegen should've got in Jersey for 2018, but Neuer bounced back and was exceptional as Bayern won the treble.

Many players and great keepers have said Neuer is brilliant and one of the best ever. Van Gaal, pep, flick, lowe, heynckes all had him as their undisputed number 1.

Again, said it was a controversial take, no need to be saying it's one of the worst you've seen. It's actually not even a rare take, I know a good few other keeper coaches that think similar. I never said he wasn't good, he's world-class, I just dont think he deserves to be in the greatest of all time conversation. His peak was outstanding, but he's tailed off massively since and his peak lasted 3/4 seasons. Some of the greats in his role have been at it at that level for 10/15 years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/bayern-munich-germany-uli-hoeness-joachim-low-manuel-neuer-marc-andre-ter-stegen-barcelona-a9119621.html

Here's the story that is 'utter pish'. As a GK coach myself, he's just so unconventional, technique is a little weird at times. He's made some outstanding saves, and my argument was never that he wasn't good, purely that he isn't one of the all time greats. Or, top 5 in his position ever imo. Maybe top 15/20, but I just dont rank him all time as high as others.

My Emi take is completely unrelated but of course you'd bring it up to discredit it. I rate Emi as currently one of the best on the planet, based on his form the last 24 months. I never said anything about him being one of the all time greats. Me rating a 27/28yo higher than a late 30s Gk currently isn't as outrageous as you think.

loanheadhibby
10-12-2022, 04:40 PM

This from the man who reckons Doidge is a top striker.

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2022, 05:55 PM
This from the man who reckons Doidge is a top striker.

I don't anymore, no. He was before his serious injury, though.

Back on topic pal. Absolute waste of bandwidth that post was.

Keith_M
10-12-2022, 06:40 PM
No opinion on Neuer, as I've not seem him often enough, but I have no hesitation in believing the Hoeness story.

The guy is an arrogant nut-job, in charge of the most arrogant, self-obsessed club in Germany.

The dalmeny
10-12-2022, 07:05 PM
Proper full length stooky too

LeithMike
11-12-2022, 11:13 AM
Again, said it was a controversial take, no need to be saying it's one of the worst you've seen. It's actually not even a rare take, I know a good few other keeper coaches that think similar. I never said he wasn't good, he's world-class, I just dont think he deserves to be in the greatest of all time conversation. His peak was outstanding, but he's tailed off massively since and his peak lasted 3/4 seasons. Some of the greats in his role have been at it at that level for 10/15 years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/bayern-munich-germany-uli-hoeness-joachim-low-manuel-neuer-marc-andre-ter-stegen-barcelona-a9119621.html

Here's the story that is 'utter pish'. As a GK coach myself, he's just so unconventional, technique is a little weird at times. He's made some outstanding saves, and my argument was never that he wasn't good, purely that he isn't one of the all time greats. Or, top 5 in his position ever imo. Maybe top 15/20, but I just dont rank him all time as high as others.

My Emi take is completely unrelated but of course you'd bring it up to discredit it. I rate Emi as currently one of the best on the planet, based on his form the last 24 months. I never said anything about him being one of the all time greats. Me rating a 27/28yo higher than a late 30s Gk currently isn't as outrageous as you think.

Good posts and a lot of logic in your reasoning.

I’m not sure Neuer revolutionised goalkeeping either. He seemed to take on what Schmiechel did and was no doubt a great goalkeeper but I don’t think it leads to the categorical conclusions of another poster who seems to think nobody’s opinion holds weight other than his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Modfather
11-12-2022, 12:07 PM

I’m not sure Neuer revolutionised goalkeeping either. He seemed to take on what Schmiechel did and was no doubt a great goalkeeper but I don’t think it leads to the categorical conclusions of another poster who seems to think nobody’s opinion holds weight other than his own.

I’m not sure he revolutionised goalkeeping either, but do think he was one of the first of a new generation of “ball playing goalkeepers”. Which are now fairly standard e.g. Ederson, Allison, Lloris, Ramsdale etc

MWHIBBIES
11-12-2022, 12:31 PM

Nonsense. I don't think my opinion holds more weight that anyone else. I think the opinions of guys like Buffon, Guardiola etc hold more weight, though, and they think he's exceptional.

Schmichael was nothing like Neuer. Neuer far superior with his feet. Team mates have said he could've played centre mid.

WeeRussell
11-12-2022, 12:54 PM
Nonsense. I don't think my opinion holds more weight that anyone else. I think the opinions of guys like Buffon, Guardiola etc hold more weight, though, and they think he's exceptional.

Schmichael was nothing like Neuer. Neuer far superior with his feet. Team mates have said he could've played centre mid.

Centre mid for Hibs maybe.

The Modfather
11-12-2022, 02:37 PM

Not to pile on or derail the thread, but I think it’s your abrasive and dogged posting style that makes it seem, generally, like you’re berating people as to why you are right and others are wrong rather than actually debating.

I’ll leave it there though as not intended to be a pile on or or cause an argument.

JamesHFC
11-12-2022, 02:54 PM
Neuer maybe top 15/20 goalkeepers of our generation but Emi Martinez top 3 in the current PL 🙈

It's a game of opinions I suppose 👍

HFCbingo
11-12-2022, 09:12 PM
An amazing keeper but never seems like getting enough clean sheets for me :wink:

Since452
12-12-2022, 09:01 AM

First Boyle and now Neuer? We're ****ed.

worcesterhibby
13-12-2022, 04:19 PM

Interesting post and well reasoned..just the sort of articulate post this forum needs..whether I agree with you or not about the merits of Neuer is besides the point. Please don't stop posting your informed football opinions, just becasue others can't articulate their arguments against your opinion in a less hostile manner. More of the same please :agree:

Oh and world great or not..Neuer is a knob for going skiing mid season when his club depends on him staying fit..very un-professional and the outcome is predictable.

Allant1981
13-12-2022, 05:40 PM
Some valid points about neuer and the usual suspect coming on to give their response, personally think neuer is a cracking keeper but wouldn't say he would be in my top 5 keepers of my era, my top 5 would likely be(not in this order)

Schmeichel
Khan
Casillas
Buffon
Seaman

Smartie
13-12-2022, 06:26 PM
I find it weird that he went ski-ing mid-season or even mid-pro-career.

A mate of mine was on a ski-ing holiday in France years ago and bizarrely enough ended up in the same ski school group as Luis Figo for some of his time there. He’d said that he was forbidden from going ski-ing by the clubs he played for during his playing career and was absolutely loving the opportunity to do it shortly after his playing days had ended.

Pedantic_Hibee
13-12-2022, 07:37 PM
Not to pile on or derail the thread, but I think it’s your abrasive and dogged posting style that makes it seem, generally, like you’re berating people as to why you are right and others are wrong rather than actually debating.

I’ll leave it there though as not intended to be a pile on or or cause an argument.

100%

It’s exhausting.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2022, 07:52 PM
100%

It’s exhausting.

Don't read it then. There is a block button. More than welcome to use it. I don't mind.

Stubbsy90+2
13-12-2022, 08:19 PM

A mate of mine was on a ski-ing holiday in France years ago and bizarrely enough ended up in the same ski school group as Luis Figo for some of his time there. He’d said that he was forbidden from going ski-ing by the clubs he played for during his playing career and was absolutely loving the opportunity to do it shortly after his playing days had ended.

Agree. Skiing is something that almost instantly makes me think ‘broken leg’ in the same way ‘helicopter’ makes me think ‘death trap’. They may not have statistics to back up these thoughts but I feel like I hear about skiing accidents so often in relation to how often I hear about skiing.

cameronw-hfc
13-12-2022, 10:15 PM
Some valid points about neuer and the usual suspect coming on to give their response, personally think neuer is a cracking keeper but wouldn't say he would be in my top 5 keepers of my era, my top 5 would likely be(not in this order)

Schmeichel
Khan
Casillas
Buffon
Seaman

Nothing wrong with anyone giving their response. I welcome debate, but acting like my opinion is invalid or compete rubbish is wrong. I'm not saying I know more, because I don't, but I was a keeper at a decent pro-youth level, played a few u18s and 20s games at SPFL youth level and now coach, specifically keepers. I'm not saying my opinion carries anymore weight than anyone else, because it definitely doesn't, but I do at least know a hell of a lot about what I'm talking about. So my opinion is valid, and not the worst anyone's ever seen. Whether we agree or not, that's fine. Life would be crap if we all had the same opinion!

To those with an issue with MWI, stop throwing shade. It was my take he disagreed with, whilst I'm maybe not chuffed with the way he dismissed it as if it's invalid, there's no need for the "usual suspect" comments either. This is a forum to post our opinion, some different, some the same, but none invalid, and nobody deserves shade thrown directly or indirectly.

Edit- I didnt mean to quote this comment, my bad. Was meant to be a general reply to the thread👍

cameronw-hfc
13-12-2022, 10:23 PM

So, as a shot stopper, Neuer is very similar technique-wise to Schmiechel, but not as good. He's not quite as quick, he often goes with the wrong hand, but either way, he makes himself absolutely giant and that helps a lot and is part of the Schmeichel influence.

As a footballer, yes, his teammates have said he could play CM, and that's pretty cool, but hes primarily there to keep the ball out the net. I would say Casillas is higher in the all time status, as a coach, I tell kids to watch him. His technique as a keeper was stupid good. Buffon as well. Watch Buffons best saves, he doesn't have nearly as many top corner one-handers, hes positioned himself so well most of the time it looks easy. Alisson also does that very, very well.

One thing ill always give Neuer his credit for, I do think he changed the position. He made it so every top keeper needed to be at the very least competent with the ball at his feet. That's something he'll go down in history for, he just wont for being the best overall keeper ever imo.

Haymaker
14-12-2022, 12:40 AM

Yes, loads of stuff is banned in contracts - my friend was banned from skiing, jet skiing, paragliding and even riding a motorcycle amongst others in his pro days.