PDA

View Full Version : Melkerson

Mango Man
08-12-2022, 10:49 PM
He just isn't going to cut it at Hibs, is he?!

Nearly a year with us, and just 2 goals against Motherwell with 10 men, shame, as I was quite excited about him. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but just don't see it working out.

tamig
08-12-2022, 11:48 PM

Nearly a year with us, and just 2 goals against Motherwell with 10 men, shame, as I was quite excited about him. Hopefully he proves me wrong, but just don't see it working out.

From what I’ve seen of him this season he’s come on leaps snd bounds. Hampered by some pretty bad head injuries but I think he’s looking much more mature this season. Think your thread is very harsh on him and I’d question if you’d actually watched him this season. A huge improvement on last season imo.

basehibby
09-12-2022, 12:04 AM

The first of a spate of quite expensive maybe might be signings. Still a teenager and he could yet develop into a top player but he's not quite there yet. Seems to get bullied off the ball quite easily and that's a concern in the SPL where refs are often blind to niggly tackles

California-Hibs
09-12-2022, 12:46 AM
He's no where near good enough for Hibs. Massive let down and he's had plenty of chances. Would look to cut our losses with him and get him moved on.

Forza Fred
09-12-2022, 01:26 AM
Not sure he has displayed sufficient potential to warrant keeping.

Donegal Hibby
09-12-2022, 01:31 AM
:agree:
He's no where near good enough for Hibs. Massive let down and he's had plenty of chances. Would look to cut our losses with him and get him moved on.
19 year old in new country and left his whole family and friends behind since joining us and he's no good ! Awful comments imo ! come on the Hoff 👏 Watch this !
https://youtu.be/EmgO1gUAfO8

Viva_Palmeiras
09-12-2022, 03:33 AM
:agree:
19 year old in new country and left his whole family and friends behind since joining us and he's no good ! Awful comments imo ! come on the Hoff 👏 Watch this !
https://youtu.be/EmgO1gUAfO8

I never really got why some are so ruthlessly harsh on players. Some are even relentless.

OldEast
09-12-2022, 03:45 AM
Young, new country, etc. All true but how long do we give him? I say this because LJ is talking about a clear out. We know "potential" isn't working for us this season so should he be one of the ones moved on? For me it's a yes with best wishes for his career but right now he's not what Hibs need. There will be others too, he's not the only one.

HoboHarry
09-12-2022, 03:53 AM
Another negative thread. Cool. What odds on the OP not taking any further part in the discussion?

OldEast
09-12-2022, 04:06 AM
Perhaps he won't we'll see, but it was a perfectly acceptable question to ask, framed in a non confrontational way.

HoboHarry
09-12-2022, 04:20 AM
Perhaps he won't we'll see, but it was a perfectly acceptable question to ask, framed in a non confrontational way.
Maybe you are right and I'm completely wrong but to me it smacks of one of those lob a grenade in the room and then bolt threads.

OldEast
09-12-2022, 04:56 AM
Maybe you are right and I'm completely wrong but to me it smacks of one of those lob a grenade in the room and then bolt threads.

And of course you could be right. What I see as a big problem for this forum is the amount of people ready to jump in and attack WHAT THEY SEE as negativity. Hibs aren't Man City, we can play well or complete pish. People are perfectly entitled to question the team selection, players, manager, owner etc and their views shouldn't always be shouted down. Apart from anything else it leaves the door open for actual trolls to nip in and cause mischief. Perhaps if our more what I would call realistic, some would call negative posters were engaged with proper debate rather than constantly being called out for "hating Hibs" or "bed wetting" or "negativity" then the real trolls would be easier to spot.

Forza Fred
09-12-2022, 05:16 AM
Young, new country, etc. All true but how long do we give him? I say this because LJ is talking about a clear out. We know "potential" isn't working for us this season so should he be one of the ones moved on? For me it's a yes with best wishes for his career but right now he's not what Hibs need. There will be others too, he's not the only one.

This is the problem we have….we have invested heavily in the future ..but our needs are immediate.

LJ is talking about having a clear out..and relying on ‘14 or 15’ players.

Harsh decisions are going to be taken if this is true…..

I could be wrong but I think the decision on Melkersen could go either way.

In a perfect world we would keep him and hope he develops further……..but LJ is saying players are going……and whoever goes there will be cries of ‘mistake’!

If LJ is to be believed we are in for an interesting window.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2022, 05:24 AM
Hopefully he stays until everyone can spell his name correctly.

Northernhibee
09-12-2022, 05:36 AM
He’s absolute mince. Doesn’t score, gets dragged out of position, is easily outmuscled. File amongst the biggest wastes of money that we’ve spent on a player (along with half of the players we signed for the development team).

He works hard and I can’t fault his attitude but in terms of ability he’s absolutely miles off the level required.

Forza Fred
09-12-2022, 05:48 AM

This is the problem we have….we have invested heavily in the future ..but our needs are immediate.

LJ is talking about having a clear out..and relying on ‘14 or 15’ players.

Harsh decisions are going to be taken if this is true…..

I could be wrong but I think the decision on Melkersen could go either way.

In a perfect world we would keep him and hope he develops further……..but LJ is saying players are going……and whoever goes there will be cries of ‘mistake’!

If LJ is to be believed we are in for an interesting window.

Winston Ingram
09-12-2022, 06:00 AM
What a ridiculous thread.

He’s 19, moved to a new country, had 2 big injuries, and had very little game time.

He wasn’t brought to hit the ground running, he was bought as an investment for the future and he’s not even been here a year.

I don’t think there is any doubt he has talent but like pretty much all teenagers, he’s showing that talent in flashes. Hopefully that consistency will come.

Tyler Durden
09-12-2022, 06:03 AM
There’s no chance we would “cut our losses” - which by the way is a senseless phrase.

He’s played very few games and only a handful with a strike partner. In our last league game he was very unfortunate not to have a good assist to his name, but for dubious VAR.

Given what we have invested, a loan move would be the right option if he struggles to make an impact in the next month.

People forget that the likes of Kenny Miller, Riordan, O’Connor all had early periods where they struggled to score. At a certain point, it will fall into place for him and we’ll reap the benefits.

Unseen work
09-12-2022, 06:05 AM
We all forgetting about his goal against Clyde?🤣

0 league goals since he joined however.

He’s a bit of a tough one, I think he’s a good player especially only being 19 years old. Good touch, got a bit of skill however I don’t see him playing off the left or right of a front 3 as he doesn’t have that blistering pace.

Would I be overly bothered or worried about him if he played against us? Not really if I’m honest.

If I’m being honest though I’m loathed to criticise many strikers for their goalscoring, or lack of when we’ve been missing a creative midfielder for so long.

Melkersen, Nisbet, Kuharevych etc largely play off scraps from crosses in from the wide area. We need someone who can thread the ball through to them and we can finally see what they’re capable of in the final third.

A loan to another SPFL team could work in his favour for 6 months now Nisbet is back.

Northernhibee
09-12-2022, 06:06 AM
What a ridiculous thread.

He’s 19, moved to a new country, had 2 big injuries, and had very little game time.

He wasn’t brought to hit the ground running, he was bought as an investment for the future and he’s not even been here a year.

I don’t think there is any doubt he has talent but like pretty much all teenagers, he’s showing that talent in flashes. Hopefully that consistency will come.
I think there is significant doubt over whether he has the talent to succeed at Hibs.

Plenty of players his age have been given the chance to get some first team game time and many like Oli Shaw scored a few goals and showed that they might end up good enough.

10 men Motherwell game aside, I don’t think he’s shown any flashes of being anything other than a country mile off of what we need.

Tyler Durden
09-12-2022, 06:11 AM
I think there is significant doubt over whether he has the talent to succeed at Hibs.

Plenty of players his age have been given the chance to get some first team game time and many like Oli Shaw scored a few goals and showed that they might end up good enough.

10 men Motherwell game aside, I don’t think he’s shown any flashes of being anything other than a country mile off of what we need.

Oli Shaw, generally played in a decent settled Hibs team who were creating chances.

Melkersen has played during a period of total shambles. Aside from early in this season where he did a decent job for the team at wide right.

Northernhibee
09-12-2022, 06:15 AM
Aside from early in this season where he did a decent job for the team at wide right.
And scored no goals and didn’t exactly set up a barrel load for others playing up front, if any.

As I say, can’t fault his attitude or work rate but time to cut our losses and write off our investment.

Stairway 2 7
09-12-2022, 06:31 AM
Mental thread. People only started warming to josh Campbell a few months ago and Melkerson is 3 years younger. He's just a year older than Josh O'connor and has been hampered by injuries. It's hard to establish yourself in a team playing poorly with shocking service

When Riordan was Melkersons age he had played 9 times for hibs and scored 0 goals. He then went to Cowdenbeath and in the season after he played 11 scored 3 for hibs. Thankfully we gave him a chance as after that it was a goal every 2 games.

Now I'm not saying he's going to be like deek unfortunately. He might not make it but ffs give the boy a chance

OldEast
09-12-2022, 06:56 AM
Hopefully he stays until everyone can spell his name correctly.

Hasn't worked for Nisbet

Jones28
09-12-2022, 06:57 AM
Mental thread. People only started warming to josh Campbell a few months ago and Melkerson is 3 years younger. He's just a year older than Josh O'connor and has been hampered by injuries. It's hard to establish yourself in a team playing poorly with shocking service

When Riordan was Melkersons age he had played 9 times for hibs and scored 0 goals. He then went to Cowdenbeath and in the season after he played 11 scored 3 for hibs. Thankfully we gave him a chance as after that it was a goal every 2 games.

Now I'm not saying he's going to be like deek unfortunately. He might not make it but ffs give the boy a chance

I think warming to Josh Campbell is probably over egging it. He’s the first one to be dug out if things aren’t going our way.

Excellent comparison to Riordan btw.

B.H.F.C
09-12-2022, 06:59 AM
Young players need help when they come in to the team and we don’t have the players to help boys like Melkersen.

I think he has ability but you’re never going to see the best of it in this team.

Hibs can’t spend the amount of money we did on him, on players who aren’t ready for the first team. Ridiculous strategy.

Tyler Durden
09-12-2022, 06:59 AM
And scored no goals and didn’t exactly set up a barrel load for others playing up front, if any.

As I say, can’t fault his attitude or work rate but time to cut our losses and write off our investment.

It was 140 minutes worth of football as he started the first 3 games and had to come off injured twice. As I said, he did a job for the team in an unfamiliar position.

He’s hardly played any football for Hibs. We haven’t made any losses.

Stairway 2 7
09-12-2022, 07:01 AM
I think warming to Josh Campbell is probably over egging it. He’s the first one to be dug out if things aren’t going our way.

That's a warming compared to the utter abuse that he got on here though ha

Jones28
09-12-2022, 07:02 AM
That's a warming compared to the utter abuse that he got on here though ha

Absolutely agree. It was quite staggering the stick he was getting.

One of our own indeed.

Jones28
09-12-2022, 07:10 AM
Melkerson will get goals if he gets chances. He’s not Messi, him dropping 40 yards to pick the ball up is no good. He needs service in the box.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 07:23 AM
Melkerson will get goals if he gets chances. He’s not Messi, him dropping 40 yards to pick the ball up is no good. He needs service in the box.

It's pretty clear to me that he is a good footballer and with well managed development and training and experience I see him becoming a major player for us, if given the chance.

He hasn't played a game on grass til he came to Scotland a year ago 🤣

HendoDelivered
09-12-2022, 07:31 AM
Needs a loan move away I think. Still reckon he will go for a couple million in the future.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 07:34 AM
Needs a loan move away I think. Still reckon he will go for a couple million in the future.

Krone or Pounds though? 😁

McGruber
09-12-2022, 07:40 AM

Great point and good perspective.

Unfortunately will be lost on some as the nature of the beast for football fans is the here and now. Not a dig at anyone, just the way it is in general.

Hopefully we can exercise some patience with him and the other young lads. Whether good enough or not we will see in the fullness of time. Meantime we could perhaps tip the balance on a few by supporting the kids

Heisenberg
09-12-2022, 07:53 AM
Would loan him out in January. Scottish Championship maybe a good move, get him ready to fire us to promotion next season :greengrin

Dunbar Hibee
09-12-2022, 08:06 AM
He’s absolute mince. Doesn’t score, gets dragged out of position, is easily outmuscled. File amongst the biggest wastes of money that we’ve spent on a player (along with half of the players we signed for the development team).

He works hard and I can’t fault his attitude but in terms of ability he’s absolutely miles off the level required.

Your post is absolute mince. Not for the first time either

Dmas
09-12-2022, 08:12 AM

Exactly, there’s chat on another thread about the need for midfielders and player who can create now there’s a thread throwing abuse at a young striker suffering because of the lack of creativity, he’s not missing sitters he’s not playing terribly he’s suffering the same fate as the rest of the forwards

Mainstandman
09-12-2022, 08:28 AM

This exactly, how many golden opportunities has Melkerson missed (not many apart from D UTD last season) the service is the issue for our team. look at the world cup and how little goals strikers score when no service or opportunities provided. Lewandowski anonymous when playing on his own up front.

Hibs4185
09-12-2022, 08:31 AM
I know it’s a forum and therefore everyone is entitled to their opinions and I can choose to ignore or reply but what makes you wake you up in the morning and just decide to start a thread bashing one of our younger players for no reason?

If there were headlines about him or some sort of news I can understand discussing him but it’s just random and in my view unnecessary negativity.

Callum_62
09-12-2022, 08:37 AM
I certainly wouldn't be getting rid of him anytime that soon

You can see he has something to develop on - still young and raw but he has alot of workable attributes

He wouldn't get a game ahead of a fit nisbet but having nisbet fit and firing allows Melkerson to adapt and develop and a reasonable rate under far less pressures

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

J-C
09-12-2022, 08:42 AM
Jeez, some love putting the boot in whenever possible. Young lad with bags of talent who hadn't played on grass till he came here, left family and friends in a new country and at 19 folk want him to be scoring 20 goals a season.

Stubbsy90+2
09-12-2022, 08:45 AM
Would be putting him out on loan in January.

Isn’t at the level required for us just now imo but could do well in the Championship.

B.H.F.C
09-12-2022, 08:51 AM
Jeez, some love putting the boot in whenever possible. Young lad with bags of talent who hadn't played on grass till he came here, left family and friends in a new country and at 19 folk want him to be scoring 20 goals a season.

Generally I don’t think the stick is directed at Melkersen.

We signed him for a lot of money which brings a level of expectation though. For me, it’s on the club. We have a player who doesn’t look any closer to contributing regularly than when he signed nearly a year ago. We should be spending the money to get the first team right, then signing these type of players and giving them a fair crack at it.

blackpoolhibs
09-12-2022, 09:04 AM
If he was bought for the future, why is he playing now?

If he was bought for now, he's not good enough yet?

Why was he bought for what is big money by our standards?

Heisenberg
09-12-2022, 09:07 AM

Ben Kensell’s pal told him Melkersen was the next big thing and BK went for it.

Bishop Hibee
09-12-2022, 09:20 AM
He can’t score like too many of our signings.

hibsbollah
09-12-2022, 09:22 AM
We have to put our faith in at least one of Melkerson, McKirdy or Youan. It might be best out to a poll but if we assume Nisbet and a fit again Boyle are the two likeliest 1 and 2 on a forward depth chart, who is #3 and which two are #4 and #5 are kicking their heels and/or loaned out?

Willis1875
09-12-2022, 09:40 AM
We have to put our faith in at least one of Melkerson, McKirdy or Youan. It might be best out to a poll but if we assume Nisbet and a fit again Boyle are the two likeliest 1 and 2 on a forward depth chart, who is #3 and which two are #4 and #5 are kicking their heels and/or loaned out?

There’s Myko aswell

GreenArmy1875
09-12-2022, 09:49 AM
For me the development squad has been a massive let down and meaning his development experience has been thrown in at the deep end into a negative situation. He scored 2 excellent goals against Motherwell but quickly lost confidence in a negative Shaun Maloney side and that negativity has continued since being at the club. Tough for any 19 year old to deal with. This is the same for all the development team transfers we have made. Tait, Delf, Hauge and Melkerson have all needed a positive atmosphere and good winners in a team for them to thrive and learn from. We don't currently have either.

Donegal Hibby
09-12-2022, 10:19 AM
I never really got why some are so ruthlessly harsh on players. Some are even relentless.
I actually can't understand stand it myself . Both Tavares and melkerson have become scapegoat's for quite a few who as you say are relentless in there condemnation of them , it's all really quite sad imo that two young players ( 20 & 19 ) who have left there countries and families have had judgement past on them so quickly ! . Personally think both are fine young players who just need time and our support . Find threads like this frustrating as the only thing they offer is negativity and are totally unproductive imo .

BSEJVT
09-12-2022, 10:25 AM
Whilst I think you could debate the merits of having or not having a development squad forever and never reach a consensus, there is a simple fact and that is that the one we have is not being run properly

They just never seem to play and that renders their existence pointless

Northernhibee
09-12-2022, 10:28 AM
Your post is absolute mince. Not for the first time either
Naw, you’re right, he’s on twenty goals for the season right enough.

It’s a shame for him and others like Tait and Balde etc. that our recruitment system is so broken as they clearly have a good attitude but aren’t suited to Scottish football.

hibsbollah
09-12-2022, 10:28 AM
There’s Myko aswell

I hope he stays but I still think of him as being short term because Troyes will want him back.

I note nobody has tried to name what they think the depth chart behind Nisbet and Boyle should look like. That’s because it’s a hard question. As it is for LJ.

Unseen work
09-12-2022, 10:32 AM

Youan frustrates me an unbelievable amount, when he first joined I thought he looked good playing as a number 9 but thought he might be better off the left. Since he’s moved left he’s been very poor imo, he just runs the ball out of play or attempts a bit of skill which generally fails.

Upfront he at least created some chances through pace, got on the end of a couple of chances and was a threat.

Find it a bit off Johnson saying he will stick with Youan as a number 9 for him to learn the role but days later signed Kuharevych and since then he’s not had a chance there. Only time was Celtic when he scored and Aberdeen when he hit the bar.

Yesterday Tavares looked far more comfortable as the left winger and repeatedly beat his man.

Stuart93
09-12-2022, 11:08 AM
I reckon there’s a good goalscorer in there, just getting little to no service

wallpaperman
09-12-2022, 11:12 AM
This thread just about sums up why I have gradually become more disinterested in the club, hope the lad never reads the forum.

I know it’s only a football forum, and I could ignore all of it, but along with some of the best fans around, we really do have some of the worst as well.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 11:17 AM

We signed him for a lot of money which brings a level of expectation though. For me, it’s on the club. We have a player who doesn’t look any closer to contributing regularly than when he signed nearly a year ago. We should be spending the money to get the first team right, then signing these type of players and giving them a fair crack at it.

The thread is titled "Melkersen" and people are condeming him already and saying we should cut our losses and the likes. It's nuts.

Probably the same jokers who want Nouble up front :greengrin

ZitellZeTime
09-12-2022, 11:40 AM
There’s no chance we would “cut our losses” - which by the way is a senseless phrase.

He’s played very few games and only a handful with a strike partner. In our last league game he was very unfortunate not to have a good assist to his name, but for dubious VAR.

Given what we have invested, a loan move would be the right option if he struggles to make an impact in the next month.

People forget that the likes of Kenny Miller, Riordan, O’Connor all had early periods where they struggled to score. At a certain point, it will fall into place for him and we’ll reap the benefits.

Yeah I agree with this and the poster above you. He's shown talent in flashes which isn't great but he wasn't brought in as a starter. we were told from the beginning. Last season when Nisbet was injured he was so isolated and hardly anything was getting to him but you could still see he has talent.

Been here a year, was bought as one of the future players. He spoke about how getting used to playing on grass pitches was one of the most challenging things but used to it now. away from his family at a young age and had a couple of injuries. It's not like many of our forward players, even seasoned ones were looking great over the last year or two apart from Boyle.

I might be wrong and he ends up being terrible, but I think now he's clearly been working on his bulk etc and know the way LJ team play then with Nisbet back and the big Ukranian then a loan to a team where he would likely be starting each week until the end of the season "could" work wonders for him getting more game time, hopefully less injurys so stays match sharp and hopefully through the middle at some club as thats where I like him the best.

Needs to be a team who can get the ball to him though unlike what we tried last season playing him solo upfront not long after he joined. I know they say you've got to take your chance when it comes but if the team aren't providing anything at all basically and your having to track back then young/old experienced or not noone would have been banging them in. Evem Nisbet wasn't those good few months before Injury.

Hopefully I'm right, I do think we need a clear out but I think with the fee we paid for him I cant see us just getting rid.

Some attacking minded team where he would most likely start would be great and im sure it was right after Kenny came back from Stenhousemuir that he was given a chance and immediatel almost started doing great for us so hopefully that happens here.

I just can't see them getting rid of a player who was brought in as a future project to work on to get used to playing here then sell on after 1 year. We are guaranteed to lose money. Nobody is going to give us the money we paid so for that alone I think he will be given a chance still and hopefully he makes the most of it.

Bojang looks like a headless chicken, think him along with a few other will be gone. Mckay and Tait are weird, Raith were desperate to keep him so we kept him on loan then but he's been away on loan again like Mckay has been again. Tait and Delfierre both looked decent in preseason too. I know Delfierre is unrelated to the two im talking about but watching tait just reminded me of seeing himt too

I have a feeling we wont see Mckay or Tait here at all after thes summer for some reason. Manager see's them more than me so I guess he knows better.

Just with them being regulars at the level they already were and performing well young I was honestly excited when we got both of them.

Edit: Fixed typos but probably more there

09-12-2022, 11:43 AM
Krone or Pounds though? 😁

Llamas 😃

https://i.ibb.co/KbCDXLY/91-T9-CKx-I7i-L.jpg (https://ibb.co/hLpcyZk)

https://i.ibb.co/KbCDXLY/91-T9-CKx-I7i-L.jpg (https://ibb.co/hLpcyZk)

loanheadhibby
09-12-2022, 11:54 AM
For me the development squad has been a massive let down and meaning his development experience has been thrown in at the deep end into a negative situation. He scored 2 excellent goals against Motherwell but quickly lost confidence in a negative Shaun Maloney side and that negativity has continued since being at the club. Tough for any 19 year old to deal with. This is the same for all the development team transfers we have made. Tait, Delf, Hauge and Melkerson have all needed a positive atmosphere and good winners in a team for them to thrive and learn from. We don't currently have either.

It's possibly a confidence thing as well. If you remember, he had a few glaring misses towards the end of last season. He's had a knock on the head this year. The style we play is not conducive to creating lots of chances for our strikers.

Getting subbed yesterday after coming on as a sub is also a kick in the nads. LJ has called him out recently as well as not influencing the game enough.

Maybe a loan spell in the Championship may do him the world of good. Playing every week and getting a few goals.

Billy Whizz
09-12-2022, 12:06 PM
When he scored these2 goals at Motherwell in January, we were loving his movement and skill for 2 he scored, so he’s definitely got ability
Just needs to score a few to get his confidence up, and played in his best position

1875Sean
09-12-2022, 12:13 PM
Read in the EEN this week O’Conner saying when he was a kids coming into the first team he has experienced heads like Mixu, Brewster etc

Guys like these help bring young players on, we don’t really have anyone like that now but it’s a bit harsh people calling for him to go, for me to get the best out of him he needs to play in a front 2 and get a run of games

Sir David Gray
09-12-2022, 12:58 PM

Pretty much how I see it too.

I don't think Melkersen is good enough to play for Hibs at the moment and that's after we paid a pretty handsome amount of money to get his signature. It's absolutely not his fault for not being good enough of course, the fault lies once again with those who thought he was good enough to get a 4 and a half year contract.

We reportedly spent over £300,000 to sign him and with the exception of one good performance he hasn't shown me anything that suggests he is good enough for us to have spent one of the largest transfer fees we have paid in recent times.

He does still have time on his side though and I wouldn't wish to write him off altogether but if we're spending several hundred thousand pounds on a 19 year old and handing them a 4 and a half year contract I'm expecting to get pretty instant results from that investment. I'm not expecting a raw player to arrive who may or may not develop into a decent signing several years down the line.

eastmainsmsh
09-12-2022, 01:03 PM
Maybe be at his best with Nisbet back

CL0762
09-12-2022, 01:14 PM
Jesus wept.

Some of the posts on here are a downright disgrace.

I’d absolutely hate to be a Hibs player right now.

HoboHarry
09-12-2022, 01:30 PM
Jesus wept.

:agree: I said on the first page that we wouldn't see anything else form the OP - just start a s***e thread and bolt. The fact that so many feel the need to joint in and slaughter a young laddie is wearisome.

H18 SFR
09-12-2022, 01:33 PM
I really like Melkerson, I also really like McKirdy. I also enjoy supporting Hibs and getting behind the players. I used to love it as a player when supporters were behind us as a team, it certainly helped.

Stubbsy90+2
09-12-2022, 01:42 PM
Jesus wept.

Out of interest, what specific posts are “a downright disgrace”?

CL0762
09-12-2022, 01:44 PM

I was meaning more across the whole board rather than this specific thread.

Stubbsy90+2
09-12-2022, 01:54 PM
I was meaning more across the whole board rather than this specific thread.

Ah ok.

I think most of the comments on this thread have been fair enough really.

Melkerson isn’t good enough for our first team right now, whether he’s 19 or not.

We needed players in January and the summer that were first team ready and would improve us, that was never going to be Melkerson. That’s not his fault but it doesn’t mean people can’t point out that he’s currently not good enough for Hibs.

B.H.F.C
09-12-2022, 01:56 PM
:agree: I said on the first page that we wouldn't see anything else form the OP - just start a s***e thread and bolt. The fact that so many feel the need to joint in and slaughter a young laddie is wearisome.

Generally speaking I don’t think the player is being slaughtered. Granted there might be the odd post or comment or whatever. But I think the vast majority are more pissed off with the fact we’ve spent a lot of money on a player who doesn’t really contribute than anything else.

Mango Man
09-12-2022, 01:59 PM
It was myself that started the thread, I'm just saying what I'm seeing, I've watched pretty much every minute he has played for us, and in small flashes there is something, but I think just not enough to make it here, as a good few have pointed out, he is still very young, so there is still a chance obviously, but I'm not sure.

Probably shouldn't have put up a negative thread, as there is a good few already, just have to release sometimes, as I said, I really hope he proves me wrong, really.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2022, 02:48 PM
Melkerson may not be good enough, but what about Melkersen?

OldEast
09-12-2022, 02:50 PM
It was myself that started the thread, I'm just saying what I'm seeing, I've watched pretty much every minute he has played for us, and in small flashes there is something, but I think just not enough to make it here, as a good few have pointed out, he is still very young, so there is still a chance obviously, but I'm not sure.

Probably shouldn't have put up a negative thread, as there is a good few already, just have to release sometimes, as I said, I really hope he proves me wrong, really.

Nothing wrong with your post.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 02:52 PM
Melkerson may not be good enough, but what about Melkersen?

They could play up front with Nesbit

RIP
09-12-2022, 03:18 PM
Melkersen, Youan and Myko all have one thing in common. They all make forward runs.

Their problems are the ones we see in every game.
1. We don't have a creative midfielder that can find them with a through ball.
2. Lee plays a lone striker rather than a strike partnership
3. Lee is also obsessed with a slow buildup, wing play and cross balls. That style doesn't suit fast footballers with good feet.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2022, 03:40 PM
Melkersen, Youan and Myko all have one thing in common. They all make forward runs.

Their problems are the ones we see in every game.
1. We don't have a creative midfielder that can find them with a through ball.
2. Lee plays a lone striker rather than a strike partnership
3. Lee is also obsessed with a slow buildup, wing play and cross balls. That style doesn't suit fast footballers with good feet.

They have other things in common too, less so Myko but certainly Melkersen and Youan. They rarely take the ball quickly under control and turn with it, they actually lose it far more than they should. They are great at running at defenders until they actually have to beat one.

They have been found in dangerous positions many times this season, along with our other forwards. They're finishing as been mostly pish.
A strike partnership really guarantees nothing. Our games with two forwards haven't been any better than our games with one/three.
Hibs and Johnson aren't obsessed with low build up? Where has this pish come from. We have had a bad run of form, but we've been moving it forward much faster this season.

Dunbar Hibee
09-12-2022, 04:14 PM

Calling him absolute mince, for a start. Stupid take as well

Stubbsy90+2
09-12-2022, 04:19 PM
Calling him absolute mince, for a start. Stupid take as well

I’m not sure that constitutes a downright disgrace but each to their own.

Dunbar Hibee
09-12-2022, 04:25 PM
I’m not sure that constitutes a downright disgrace but each to their own.

Probably not, still a lot of pish though.

RIP
09-12-2022, 04:51 PM
They have other things in common too, less so Myko but certainly Melkersen and Youan.

They rarely take the ball quickly under control and turn with it, they actually lose it far more than they should.

The way we play is pish. Too many times they are facing our keeper when they receive the ball. Continental players are best with the ball played in front.

They have been found in dangerous positions many times this season, along with our other forwards. They're finishing as been mostly pish.

Dangerous positions against a packed defence. These lads are more effective as breakaway strikers. Both have pace for running onto through balls. That's what they and we are missing.

A strike partnership really guarantees nothing. Our games with two forwards haven't been any better than our games with one/three.

Aberdeen and St Mirren have played a strike pairing this season. Two out of four strikers on the pitch at any time. An effective strike partnership have to play together consistently. This season we haven't seen that.

Johnson isn't obsessed with slow build up? Where has this pish come from. We have had a bad run of form, but we've been moving it forward much faster this season.

Faster up the wings maybe. But not enough through the middle and there's seldom enough attackers in the box.

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2022, 04:57 PM
The way we play is pish. Too many times they are facing our keeper when they receive the ball. Continental players are best with the ball played in front.

Dangerous positions against a packed defence. These lads are more effective as breakaway strikers. Both have pace for running onto through balls. That's what they and we are missing.

Aberdeen and St Mirren have played a strike pairing this season. Two out of four strikers on the pitch at any time. An effective strike partnership have to play together consistently. This season we haven't seen that.

Faster up the wings maybe. But not enough through the middle and there's seldom enough attackers in the box.

''Continental players'' should be able to control basic passes. Youan and Melkersen fail at this constantly.

Ah right, so they can only run into space, not actually beat players?

St Mirren and Aberdeen were comfortably pumped at Easter Road. Both were dreadful. As we were away there. No better than us. Playing 2 strikers really isn't our problem. We've played 3 forwards for the majority of matches.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 05:02 PM
''Continental players'' should be able to control basic passes. Youan and Melkersen fail at this constantly.

Ah right, so they can only run into space, not actually beat players?

St Mirren and Aberdeen were comfortably pumped at Easter Road. Both were dreadful. As we were away there. No better than us. Playing 2 strikers really isn't our problem. We've played 3 forwards for the majority of matches.

Continental players? Is this the 1950s? 🤣

MWHIBBIES
09-12-2022, 05:41 PM

Indeed. A weird phrase.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 06:10 PM
Indeed. A weird phrase.

Maybe they tyre easily? 😁

Viva_Palmeiras
09-12-2022, 10:00 PM

trying to put a sense of perspective on things usually gets lost in the cross-fire :)

RIP
10-12-2022, 03:35 PM

As opposed to 'home-grown' in the Scottish football system.

Every country has a 'style' of coaching and our SFA coaching courses are attended by those who look after players from age 4/5 upwards.The way we develop young players in this country differs from the way kids are coached in Europe.

When Scandinavian, Mediterranean and Slavic players come to Scotland they are mainly trained by ex-footballers who've done their SFA badges.

I don't know what style or system Lee and his team are trying to fit these 'continental ' players into, but you can be sure that for many of them, it will be different from the development they had growing up.

marinello59
10-12-2022, 04:22 PM
Melkerson was dropped in to the first team long before he should have been because we were so short of options. He has something about him, I still think he will come good. Patience. :greengrin

Lago
10-12-2022, 04:23 PM
But it's happening all the time, and when this thread runs out of steam a new target will be picked and off we go again. Of course when all else fails there is that good old fall back, Ron & Ian Gordon. Fed up with it all frankly.

Iain G
10-12-2022, 04:25 PM
As opposed to 'home-grown' in the Scottish football system.

Every country has a 'style' of coaching and our SFA coaching courses are attended by those who look after players from age 4/5 upwards.The way we develop young players in this country differs from the way kids are coached in Europe.

When Scandinavian, Mediterranean and Slavic players come to Scotland they are mainly trained by ex-footballers who've done their SFA badges.

I don't know what style or system Lee and his team are trying to fit these 'continental ' players into, but you can be sure that for many of them, it will be different from the development they had growing up.

Can't we just call them foreigners, it's more suited to modern day Britain 😁

Diclonius
10-12-2022, 04:36 PM
Melkersen

marinello59
10-12-2022, 04:54 PM
Melkersen

:greengrin

Glory Lurker
10-12-2022, 04:57 PM
Leighanne

Alfred E Newman
10-12-2022, 07:01 PM
Let's put him out on loan and bring in a replacement on loan. Great idea.

Lendo
10-12-2022, 07:05 PM
What an absolute car crash of thread

jacomo
10-12-2022, 08:28 PM

Typical pish. You said similar about Lewis too.

Donegal Hibby
10-12-2022, 09:19 PM
Melkersen
E's certainly bulked up a bit !!!

ivan03
11-12-2022, 02:33 AM
I think he’d really benefit from a loan move til the end of the season. Somewhere be can play every week and learn. He’s not learning from a few minutes here and there, the odd start then back on the bench. If he could go to maybe a Dundee or a Morton for 6 months, play every week, score goals, build up confidence and learn the Scottish game etc then maybe be good to have a bigger impact at Hibs next season.

BILLYHIBS
11-12-2022, 05:45 AM
Really enjoyed that cup tie in Motherwell

Two good teams going for it with a fantastic Away support in a match played in a great atmosphere

The Hoff’s movement with his near post runs and two goals gave us a glimpse of what the future could hold

His appearances this season have not been without promise albeit inconsistent and as others have said he has filled out

Well worth sticking with and will benefit from working with Nisbet Boyle and the big classy guy upfront

Genuine prospect

Bridge hibs
11-12-2022, 06:34 AM
Really enjoyed that cup tie in Motherwell

Two good teams going for it with a fantastic Away support in a match played in a great atmosphere

The Hoff’s movement with his near post runs and two goals gave us a glimpse of what the future could hold

His appearances this season have not been without promise albeit inconsistent and as others have said he has filled out

Well worth sticking with and will benefit from working with Nisbet Boyle and the big classy guy upfront

Genuine prospectSpot on Billy, I dont get this pish mentioned earlier in the thread that it was v 10 men, you have explained it, good movement and cracking finishes, 10 men or not Motherwell still had to defend, they still had a full quota of defenders on the pitch when he scored his double

WestCoastHibby
11-12-2022, 07:09 AM
Because they are sad pathetic people who think it’s easy when they in fact couldn’t lace Joe Tortolano’s boots

BILLYHIBS
11-12-2022, 07:37 AM
Because they are sad pathetic people who think it’s easy when they in fact couldn’t lace Joe Tortolano’s boots
Ha Ha just been reading an account from Joe Tortolano where he states that Andy Goram used to throw the ball out to him with extra top spin placed expertly in front of his foot so that it would bounce away from him and out for a throw in Cue abuse from the terraces “ Tortolano your s#*te”
Goram would be pissing himself laughing

Bestie 2 Beastie 2 Belgium

hibsbollah
11-12-2022, 08:38 AM
Ha Ha just been reading an account from Joe Tortolano where he states that Andy Goram used to throw the ball out to him with extra top spin placed expertly in front of his foot so that it would bounce away from him and out for a throw in Cue abuse from the terraces “ Tortolano your s#*te”
Goram would be pissing himself laughing

Bestie 2 Beastie 2 Belgium

I’m not sure that’s very likely :greengrin I think Joe is making excuses.

Weir07
11-12-2022, 09:10 AM
Scored 2 good goals back in March and that's what people are presenting as evidence that we've got a player on our hands? Has had plenty time to show what he can do and constantly come up short. That's before mentioning glaring misses against Dundee Utd and St Johnstone last season plus spurning a good chance against Hearts in the Semi. I've said before, no better than Jamie Gullan. One to move on unfortunately, another recruitment failure.

Bridge hibs
11-12-2022, 09:14 AM
Scored 2 good goals back in March and that's what people are presenting as evidence that we've got a player on our hands? Has had plenty time to show what he can do and constantly come up short. That's before mentioning glaring misses against Dundee Utd and St Johnstone last season plus spurning a good chance against Hearts in the Semi. I've said before, no better than Jamie Gullan. One to move on unfortunately, another recruitment failure.Striker in glaring miss shocker 😵 it happens to the best Strikers in the world, unfair to hang the lad out to dry because of missing the target. I would rather he was in and about the box attempting to get onto chances rather than hanging around the box scratching his hole

Weir07
11-12-2022, 09:26 AM
Striker in glaring miss shocker 😵 it happens to the best Strikers in the world, unfair to hang the lad out to dry because of missing the target. I would rather he was in and about the box attempting to get onto chances rather than hanging around the box scratching his hole

Get what your saying but he's not scoring any goals so there's bigger focus on the glaring misses. As a team we've got a pitiful goal scoring record of late and Melkerson is part of that problem.

Bridge hibs
11-12-2022, 09:33 AM
Get what your saying but he's not scoring any goals so there's bigger focus on the glaring misses. As a team we've got a pitiful goal scoring record of late and Melkerson is part of that problem.Im not disputing that mate and I agree scoring goals has been our problem, thats not solely Melkersons fault though. I think there is a place in the team for him and hopefully with Nisbet back to full fitness then things will hopefully start to click, either by competing for that slot or by playing together

SlickShoes
11-12-2022, 09:41 AM
Every time he gets the ball his back is to goal with defenders surrounding him as our midfield jog forward to provide “support”. When crosses come in they are nowhere near anyone for the most part. Same applies to all of our strikers really, the way we play is causing this, the midfield lack the skill to provide real chances and support pushing forward.

CapitalGreen
11-12-2022, 01:15 PM
When one striker is struggling to score, it may be an issue with the individual, when all strikers are struggling it’s most likely a team issue.

When Butcher was our manager we had Heffernan, Collins and Cummings up front who scored only 12 goals. Heffernan had scored double figures in each of the 2 seasons prior to joining us. The only season Collins failed to score double figures over an 11 season stretch was when he was with us - he went on to became a full Republic of Ireland international. While a teenage Cummings often looked out of his depth and only managed 2 goals, both coming in the same game.

The real problem was never our strikers, it was the midfielders behind them. Craig, Taiwo, Robertson and Tudor-Jones. Zero creativity. When Stubbs came in he added McGeough and Allan which transformed our midfield, sideways and backwards passes replaced by drive and a desire to move the ball forward.

In the second half of the 2017/18 season under Lennon we were flying, McLaren and Kamberi looked a great partnership and we were desperate to retain them for the following season. However despite both returning, neither reached those levels again for Hibs. Did their abilities suddenly disappear over the summer? No, we lost McGeough, McGinn and Allan and replaced them in the starting XI with Milligan, Mallan and Slivka, a clear downgrade in terms of ability, drive and creativity.

Every high performing team is built around an excellent midfield. You can have all the attacking talent in the world but if your midfield isn’t right it doesn’t matter (see Man Utd and Juventus for recent high profile examples). A good, highly functioning midfield lifts all the other players around them, it protects defence and supports the attack. They help turn their steady eddie teammates into fan favourites.

Our current midfield lacks ability, balance, drive and creativity and has done for the last 5 years. Sure we can continue to throw more and more strikers at the problem as we have done since 2018 and we’ll likely see the same results or maybe we can finally address the real issue with our squad and fix the midfield.

Bridge hibs
11-12-2022, 01:29 PM
When one striker is struggling to score, it may be an issue with the individual, when all strikers are struggling it’s most likely a team issue.

When Butcher was our manager we had Heffernan, Collins and Cummings up front who scored only 12 goals. Heffernan had scored double figures in each of the 2 seasons prior to joining us. The only season Collins failed to score double figures over an 11 season stretch was when he was with us - he went on to became a full Republic of Ireland international. While a teenage Cummings often looked out of his depth and only managed 2 goals, both coming in the same game.

The real problem was never our strikers, it was the midfielders behind them. Craig, Taiwo, Robertson and Tudor-Jones. Zero creativity. When Stubbs came in he added McGeough and Allan which transformed our midfield, sideways and backwards passes replaced by drive and a desire to move the ball forward.

In the second half of the 2017/18 season under Lennon we were flying, McLaren and Kamberi looked a great partnership and we were desperate to retain them for the following season. However despite both returning, neither reached those levels again for Hibs. Did their abilities suddenly disappear over the summer? No, we lost McGeough, McGinn and Allan and replaced them in the starting XI with Milligan, Mallan and Slivka, a clear downgrade in terms of ability, drive and creativity.

Every high performing team is built around an excellent midfield. You can have all the attacking talent in the world but if your midfield isn’t right it doesn’t matter (see Man Utd and Juventus for recent high profile examples). A good, highly functioning midfield lifts all the other players around them, it protects defence and supports the attack. They help turn their steady eddie teammates into fan favourites.

Our current midfield lacks ability, balance, drive and creativity and has done for the last 5 years. Sure we can continue to throw more and more strikers at the problem as we have done since 2018 and we’ll likely see the same results or maybe we can finally address the real issue with our squad and fix the midfield.Good post mate 👍

Iain G
11-12-2022, 02:50 PM
Scored 2 good goals back in March and that's what people are presenting as evidence that we've got a player on our hands? Has had plenty time to show what he can do and constantly come up short. That's before mentioning glaring misses against Dundee Utd and St Johnstone last season plus spurning a good chance against Hearts in the Semi. I've said before, no better than Jamie Gullan. One to move on unfortunately, another recruitment failure.

You are wrong here and he will have a much more successful career than the likes of Gillan!

Unseen work
11-12-2022, 03:11 PM

Our current midfield lacks ability, balance, drive and creativity and has done for the last 5 years. Sure we can continue to throw more and more strikers at the problem as we have done since 2018 and we’ll likely see the same results or maybe we can finally address the real issue with our squad and fix the midfield.

Excellent post

Hibbyradge
11-12-2022, 03:43 PM

Callum_62
11-12-2022, 03:49 PM
No better than Jamie Gullane?

Hmmm.

HoboHarry
11-12-2022, 03:57 PM

There's times I just despair at some of the stuff I read on this site but this post was a breath of fresh air. Keep up the good work :top marks

Hibiza
11-12-2022, 04:19 PM

Hmmm.

Better than Chris Mueller. We sign some complete dross.

Weir07
11-12-2022, 05:43 PM

Hmmm.

Happy to hear your opinion on why you think he's better than Jamie Gullan

ancient hibee
11-12-2022, 06:03 PM

:top marks Absolutely right.

Onceinawhile
11-12-2022, 07:05 PM

Agreed

HFCbingo
11-12-2022, 09:27 PM
Don't see anything in the kid tbf

Donegal Hibby
11-12-2022, 10:37 PM
Don't see anything in the kid tbf
I keep going back to the goals he got against Motherwell , two good finishes . I think he has been played out of position for awhile now. I watched the raith rovers game and he made a few good runs in behind the defenders but didn't get the ball played into him and let's be honest it's not just him that's not scoring it's all our strikers which would suggest to me that we need a creative midfielder we had one in Scotty Allan but he left and we haven't really replaced him with a similar type player. You can have the best striker in the world but if you don't create chances for him he ain't scoring. He's also only 19 year old and left his family and home , really think we should give him more time. Here's the two goals he got , the first one his movement is good and the 2nd is a clinical strikers goal imo .
https://youtu.be/TOe9JSPKqiU

Callum_62
11-12-2022, 11:29 PM
Happy to hear your opinion on why you think he's better than Jamie GullanOnly time will tell ofcourse but he's a few years younger than when Gullan made his debut and imo offers more than jamie

Ofcourse he needs to develop but he has a few attributes that are worth sticking with and working on

davhibby
11-12-2022, 11:38 PM
Happy to hear your opinion on why you think he's better than Jamie Gullan

He’ll quite comfortably have a better career than Jamie Gullan. Despite the fact he has quite a bit to do to reach his potential he’s done much more in a Hibs shirt than Gullan ever did.

DH1875
12-12-2022, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure how anyone can judge as he's not had enough game time through the middle IMO.

JimBHibees
12-12-2022, 01:43 PM
I keep going back to the goals he got against Motherwell , two good finishes . I think he has been played out of position for awhile now. I watched the raith rovers game and he made a few good runs in behind the defenders but didn't get the ball played into him and let's be honest it's not just him that's not scoring it's all our strikers which would suggest to me that we need a creative midfielder we had one in Scotty Allan but he left and we haven't really replaced him with a similar type player. You can have the best striker in the world but if you don't create chances for him he ain't scoring. He's also only 19 year old and left his family and home , really think we should give him more time. Here's the two goals he got , the first one his movement is good and the 2nd is a clinical strikers goal imo .

Amazed he hasnt built on the Motherwell goals both were excellent

weecounty hibby
12-12-2022, 01:49 PM

I was right behind the goals that day and his finishing for the goals was excellent. I think he actually missed a fairly easy chance for a hattrick as well though. He had a good all round game that day

eastmainsmsh
12-12-2022, 02:09 PM

Agree perhaps Change in managers and system and injury held Hoff back

Donegal Hibby
12-12-2022, 02:28 PM
I really thought he was going to go on a run after that but sadly no . He seemed to be playing more central against Motherwell while lately he's been on the right side even against raith rovers he made a couple of really good runs in behind the defenders hoping for a thru ball but it never came or was even attempted which is where the problem is I feel ( no creativity in midfield) . I like Melkersen , think his movement up top is good and he can be clinical giving the right service.

Since452
12-12-2022, 02:43 PM

He badly needs a spell on loan to kick on. He isn't first team material yet which is concerning. The problem is we don't have anyone to replace him with.

MagicSwirlingShip
12-12-2022, 02:44 PM
He badly needs a spell on loan to kick on. He isn't first team material yet which is concerning. The problem is we don't have anyone to replace him with.

Step forward Josh O Connor. Has real pace to burn, something we badly lack

Donegal Hibby
12-12-2022, 07:42 PM
I was looking up on some of our strikers to see what there scoring record's were like seeing as Melkersen under scrutiny. 🙄. According to were I got this .
Kukharevych.
App 47. Goals 7 .

Youan.
App115. Goals 27.

Melkersen.
App 66. Goals 26.

Mckirdy.
App 120 . goals 32 .

Not exactly prolific . Though Melkersen probably has the best scoring ratio per games and could be argued that Youan has been playing in the better leagues having played in France, Belgium and Switzerland. I thought Mykola would have had more goals to be honest and Mckirdy hasn't been that prolific apart from last year when he got 22 I think.

MrRobot
12-12-2022, 08:58 PM
Step forward Josh O Connor. Has real pace to burn, something we badly lack

Until he doesnt score in the first few games and we get on his back too :dunno:

chippy
12-12-2022, 09:06 PM
Until he doesnt score in the first few games and we get on his back too :dunno:

Young players get cut some slack by the Hibs fans if they see some potential. Melkersen has been cut some slack. Josh will get plenty slack as will Aiken, Laidlaw, Johnson,

SMAXXA
12-12-2022, 09:38 PM

No need to read any other comment this is bang on for me folk need to settle down with our players.

loanheadhibby
12-12-2022, 09:46 PM
He’ll quite comfortably have a better career than Jamie Gullan. Despite the fact he has quite a bit to do to reach his potential he’s done much more in a Hibs shirt than Gullan ever did.

He may well do but has he really done much more than Jamie Gullan?

Donegal Hibby
12-12-2022, 10:55 PM
He may well do but has he really done much more than Jamie Gullan?
Think Jamie Gullan has less goals than Melkersen for starters having played more games too . Think he's definitely a better striker and 4 years younger as well

Mango Man
12-12-2022, 11:48 PM
I think this thread has had some healthy debate in it, if you can't have some discussions about Hibs players on a Hibs forum, good or bad, then where can you?!

Certainly don't think it was too harsh or anything, especially as it seems most agree. Again, I hope MelkersEn (can't believe how many folk are so ruthless with quite an easy spelling mistake, jeez) proves me wrong.

:flag:

Donegal Hibby
13-12-2022, 01:17 AM

I think this thread has had some healthy debate in it, if you can't have some discussions about Hibs players on a Hibs forum, good or bad, then where can you?!

Certainly don't think it was too harsh or anything, especially as it seems most agree. Again, I hope MelkersEn (can't believe how many folk are so ruthless with quite an easy spelling mistake, jeez) proves me wrong.

:flag:
I think your first post was harsh and I don't agree with a lot of things said about Melkersen on this thread. You started the thread by saying he just isn't going to cut it at Hibs , is he ? And in the middle of that you have to mention Motherwell were down to 10 men when he got his two goals though no mention of the quality of his goals ! .you then ended it by added you don't see it working out ! Hardly a healthy start to a debate imo and I'm all discussions on Hibs players but this thread to me is negative and been created to have a go at one of our players , you also mention folk being ruthless on your spelling mistake what I find ruthless is you have started a thread having a go at a 18 year old lad that's left his family and moved to a new country which must be a massive life changing experience for him and only been at us for nearly a year as you say btw none of our other strikers are scoring , do you see it not working out for them too ? We could easily give this young player another year or two before passing judgement so early in his career .

theonlywayisup
13-12-2022, 03:36 AM
I keep making the same point, but rarely get any response. Our big problem area is the centre of midfield with the lack of creativity.

As you say, you could put Giroud in this team and it'll make zero difference to our results.

It's always common to focus on the symptom and not on the root cause. The symptom is the lack of goals, so many blame the forward players, but the root cause is that we don't create enough clear-cut goal scoring opportunities for them.

Like you, I think his movement is good. If only we had a Craig Brewster type person to work with him on the pitch.

I really thought he was going to go on a run after that but sadly no . He seemed to be playing more central against Motherwell while lately he's been on the right side even against raith rovers he made a couple of really good runs in behind the defenders hoping for a thru ball but it never came or was even attempted which is where the problem is I feel ( no creativity in midfield) . I like Melkersen , think his movement up top is good and he can be clinical giving the right service.

Mango Man
13-12-2022, 06:50 AM
I think your first post was harsh and I don't agree with a lot of things said about Melkersen on this thread. You started the thread by saying he just isn't going to cut it at Hibs , is he ? And in the middle of that you have to mention Motherwell were down to 10 men when he got his two goals though no mention of the quality of his goals ! .you then ended it by added you don't see it working out ! Hardly a healthy start to a debate imo and I'm all discussions on Hibs players but this thread to me is negative and been created to have a go at one of our players , you also mention folk being ruthless on your spelling mistake what I find ruthless is you have started a thread having a go at a 18 year old lad that's left his family and moved to a new country which must be a massive life changing experience for him and only been at us for nearly a year as you say btw none of our other strikers are scoring , do you see it not working out for them too ? We could easily give this young player another year or two before passing judgement so early in his career .

I would think it was harsh if it was after a couple of games or something, but it's not, and the question was hardly framed in a horrible manner or anything, not abusive, just pointing out what I see. The rest of your post is really not worth replying to.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2022, 07:10 AM

Strikers cannot just run in behind when the centre backs have the ball. He needs to offer significantly more in the build up than he does right now.

It's always a lack of service to blame, when really, our forwards have been missing sitters all season. Forwards should be creating chances for eachother. It's not purely the midfield to blame.

BILLYHIBS
13-12-2022, 08:20 AM
I think it definitely helps if we have a good well balanced creative midfield and support from other areas

Remember that goalden six months under Lenny with McGinn McGeouch Allan and a.n. other with attacking defenders Lewis Efe and Hanlon feeding Jamie Mack and Flo

Looking back Jamie and Flo used to actively close down and press opposition defenders into mistakes and it worked a treat getting us higher up the pitch

Jamie Mack was criticised for his contribution off the ball but he could stick the ball in the net and was worth his weight in gold

Melkersen should improve with natural development but I would like to see him played more centrally not stuck out on the wing so we can see what he can really do

If he develops as expected he could be a real sellable asset but really needs to kick on making the most of any opportunities that come his way as I agree he needs to show more

blackpoolhibs
13-12-2022, 08:36 AM
The problem i see with him is he is so easily brushed off the ball, he can have all the great movement in the world, but we may not like it but a bit of strength is needed in our game, and at the moment he's nowhere near strong enough or good enough in my opinion.

darwenhibby
13-12-2022, 08:43 AM
The problem i see with him is he is so easily brushed off the ball, he can have all the great movement in the world, but we may not like it but a bit of strength is needed in our game, and at the moment he's nowhere near strong enough or good enough in my opinion.

Agree with you G
If he can build that bit of strength we might just have a player
Goals will come in time

Since452
13-12-2022, 09:12 AM
I appreciate what Hibs are trying to do but can a club like us really afford to be signing players with potential and hope they come good? Especially expensive ones like Melkersen? It's a nice notion but we really need players for the here and now that can hit the ground running. Hearts needed goals so went out and signed Shankland for example. Melkersen may come good but taking the green tinted glasses off he looks miles away from being a first team regular. If he was at Hearts or Aberdeen would you be concerned about him playing against us?

jeffers
13-12-2022, 09:39 AM
I appreciate what Hibs are trying to do but can a club like us really afford to be signing players with potential and hope they come good? Especially expensive ones like Melkersen? It's a nice notion but we really need players for the here and now that can hit the ground running. Hearts needed goals so went out and signed Shankland for example. Melkersen may come good but taking the green tinted glasses off he looks miles away from being a first team regular. If he was at Hearts or Aberdeen would you be concerned about him playing against us?

Agree with every word. It’s not the players fault but we spent a huge sum in our terms on a player who has been with us almost a year and looks no nearer to being ready to make any meaningful contribution than he did when he joined us. I don’t understand why we he wasn’t sent out on loan in the summer.

Donegal Hibby
13-12-2022, 10:01 AM
I would think it was harsh if it was after a couple of games or something, but it's not, and the question was hardly framed in a horrible manner or anything, not abusive, just pointing out what I see. The rest of your post is really not worth replying to.
I think it was harsh on a young player , he's 19 year old for Pete sake .You started the thread by having a go at him which is poor form imo .You state you are only pointing out what you see , you must see a lot, young O'Connor has been at us near 8 years maybe you think he's not going to make it here either? Mckirdy, Youan and Mykola aren't banging in goals either yet you have a go at the youngest player who I think has potential and needs more time to develop.Going by this thread you started I'm not surprised you thought the rest of my post wasn't worth replying too it pretty much sums things up about a thread that was just started to have a go at a young player. Quite sad really.

Mango Man
13-12-2022, 10:20 AM
I think it was harsh on a young player , he's 19 year old for Pete sake .You started the thread by having a go at him which is poor form imo .You state you are only pointing out what you see , you must see a lot, young O'Connor has been at us near 8 years maybe you think he's not going to make it here either? Mckirdy, Youan and Mykola aren't banging in goals either yet you have a go at the youngest player who I think has potential and needs more time to develop.Going by this thread you started I'm not surprised you thought the rest of my post wasn't worth replying too it pretty much sums things up about a thread that was just started to have a go at a young player. Quite sad really.

:rolleyes:

Myko has big potential, Mckirdy, not seen enough to properly say, Youan, I don't think will make it at Hibs, Melkerson, I don't think will make it at Hibs., O'Connor, not seen much of him playing yet. Is that unreasonable? There seems to be a lot who agree. You just want an argument, ain't happening.

And also I have said a couple of times now that I hope he proves me wrong, I don't dislike him, just don't think he will make it at Hibs, we will see.

Donegal Hibby
13-12-2022, 10:20 AM
Strikers cannot just run in behind when the centre backs have the ball. He needs to offer significantly more in the build up than he does right now.

It's always a lack of service to blame, when really, our forwards have been missing sitters all season. Forwards should be creating chances for eachother. It's not purely the midfield to blame.
We had the ball against raith when Melkersen made his couple of runs in behind the defenders, we didn't have a Scott Allan to thread a pass thru to him , it wasn't even attempted . Our midfield of Newell , Henderson, Campbell , JDH just doesn't work, doesn't matter what combination either , a problem we have had since Mcginn , Henderson and McGeouch left . No creativity in the centre of the park is why none of our strikers are scoring regularly. I actually quite like Melkersen's movement as a forward and feel with better service he would score goals, he's scored something like 31 goals in about 75 appearances so far .

J-C
13-12-2022, 10:44 AM

When he signed we had Nisbet and Doidge ahead of him, Nisbets injury and Doidge being rubbish meant he was thrown in at the deep end, not what was needed for a young lad still learning.

Iain G
13-12-2022, 10:47 AM

Myko has big potential, Mckirdy, not seen enough to properly say, Youan, I don't think will make it at Hibs, Melkerson, I don't think will make it at Hibs., O'Connor, not seen much of him playing yet. Is that unreasonable? There seems to be a lot who agree. You just want an argument, ain't happening.

And also I have said a couple of times now that I hope he proves me wrong, I don't dislike him, just don't think he will make it at Hibs, we will see.

And here is the crux of a lot of these postal the "gotta prove me wrong" attitude. I don't understand why people can't give players a decent chance, especially the young ones who are still finding their feet and developing, especially the young ones who have just been brave enough to up sticks and move to a foreign country as a teenager! That takes some balls...

Support and encouragement will go among way in the positive development of players like Melkersen.

But no, some people just want to be proved their negative standpoint is right so they can say I told you so...

The Modfather
13-12-2022, 11:10 AM

To be honest, I’m not sure why you have had such a hard time on this thread. Your opinion hasn’t been overly critical or unreasonable IMO. I think Melkerson has something, but it’s hard to put a positive spin on someone we signed a year ago not being any closer to being a starter a year down the line. Not all of that is Melkersons fault, IMO. It’s also not his fault that he was signed for such a big fee.

It’s fine to disagree that some, myself included, think he probably won’t make it at Hibs, but could still make it somewhere else. It does seem like some posters just want to shout any negativity down, even when that negativity is relatively tame and fairly balanced.

We either need to persist with him through the middle and let him develop into the role. Or loan him out in January. It’s been a waste of his and our time living on the periphery and not playing much football the last year or when he does it’s “to do a job” somewhere.

B.H.F.C
13-12-2022, 11:39 AM
And here is the crux of a lot of these postal the "gotta prove me wrong" attitude. I don't understand why people can't give players a decent chance, especially the young ones who are still finding their feet and developing, especially the young ones who have just been brave enough to up sticks and move to a foreign country as a teenager! That takes some balls...

Support and encouragement will go among way in the positive development of players like Melkersen.

But no, some people just want to be proved their negative standpoint is right so they can say I told you so...

Players, for the most part, will get a bit more slack if the team are doing well.

There isn’t anything wrong in commenting that Melkersen hasn’t made any real impact in nearly a year and doesn’t look any closer to make an impact at the moment. It’s just a reflection of what we watch.

I think everybody would rather he went on to score 10 goals between now and the end of the season rather than be able to come on here and say ‘told you so’ if/when that doesn’t happen.

The players have had loads of support and encouragement in the stands this year, especially away from home, and it hasn’t made the blindest bit of difference for the most part.

Said it before but, in the main, the club will and should take more of the flack than the individual players like Melkersen but it doesn’t mean their contribution (or lack of) can’t be commented on either.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2022, 11:52 AM
We had the ball against raith when Melkersen made his couple of runs in behind the defenders, we didn't have a Scott Allan to thread a pass thru to him , it wasn't even attempted . Our midfield of Newell , Henderson, Campbell , JDH just doesn't work, doesn't matter what combination either , a problem we have had since Mcginn , Henderson and McGeouch left . No creativity in the centre of the park is why none of our strikers are scoring regularly. I actually quite like Melkersen's movement as a forward and feel with better service he would score goals, he's scored something like 31 goals in about 75 appearances so far .

Boyle, Nisbet and Doidge managed to score regularly with Newell, Gogic and Hallberg in midfield. They created a lot of their own chances. Blaming the midfield for the forwards poor performances is a cop out imo. Far more to it than that.

LeithMike
13-12-2022, 11:56 AM

That is true if you are playing one up front but not if you play two. Melkerson and McKirdy are definitely both forwards who play in behind a defence. It’s obviously a dying breed with most teams now playing one up front and one wonders what would have happened to Michael Owen if he had been plying his trade now - he’d have been shunted out wide a bit like Rashford (which has no doubt hindered the matter’s development).

I’m no huge fan of 3-5-2 but with Boyle out it’s a chance to get two strikers playing and I think I’d perm one of Myko/Nisbet with McKirdy/Melkerson. I’d start with Myko and McKirdy. We really need a good creative player in midfield to supply them though and I think the point is well made that we are not going to see the best of our forwards until we sort the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2022, 12:18 PM
That is true if you are playing one up front but not if you play two. Melkerson and McKirdy are definitely both forwards who play in behind a defence. It’s obviously a dying breed with most teams now playing one up front and one wonders what would have happened to Michael Owen if he had been plying his trade now - he’d have been shunted out wide a bit like Rashford (which has no doubt hindered the matter’s development).

I’m no huge fan of 3-5-2 but with Boyle out it’s a chance to get two strikers playing and I think I’d perm one of Myko/Nisbet with McKirdy/Melkerson. I’d start with Myko and McKirdy. We really need a good creative player in midfield to supply them though and I think the point is well made that we are not going to see the best of our forwards until we sort the midfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All decent strikers in any formation should be creating their own chances and being part of the build up. Seriously some of the touches and hold up play by Melkersen in the Ross county game were absolutely woeful.

Donegal Hibby
13-12-2022, 12:27 PM
I find the negative opinions and judgement of Melkersen on this thread OTT . A thread started with comments of " he just isn't going to make it at Hibs" . Which in truth is away to early to say one way or the other yet.We do need someone to blame at times when things aren't going well , sad stuff really specially on a young lad only about a year in a new country away from his family who imo probably has been thrown in the deep in cause of Nisbet's injury and Doidge leaving and who I also think has been played out of position as well in a league that's a higher standard than he's been use too as well. His movement as a young striker is very good though he's not scoring like all our strikers and probably confidence is low ( hope he doesn't read this thread as it won't help ) . Though before we got him he was on loan at Ranheim scoring 17 goals in 26 appearance's. I've seen enough to think he will make it at us . He's a good young player with massive potential imo though maybe not quite ready to be called the next Haaland 😁.
https://youtu.be/1-T-aFVnnIk

CapitalGreen
13-12-2022, 12:31 PM
Boyle, Nisbet and Doidge managed to score regularly with Newell, Gogic and Hallberg in midfield. They created a lot of their own chances. Blaming the midfield for the forwards poor performances is a cop out imo. Far more to it than that.

The season we finished 3rd we scored the 2nd lowest number of league goals for a 3rd placed finisher over the last decade, 3rd lowest since the introduction of the split in 2000.

Donegal Hibby
13-12-2022, 12:48 PM
Both Melkersen and Mckirdy are two strikers that like to make runs in behind defenders and I feel we lack the creative midfielder who can do the defense splitting pass or a thru ball that they can latch onto . Melkersen done 2 or 3 of these runs against raith as I said but to no avail . Scott Allan was that type of player who I don't see us having in our midfield now . Boyle , Nisbet and Doidge are totally different players to Mckirdy and Melkersen. For me I'd like to see two of our current midfielder's moved on and some creativity added to the centre of the park. Imo it doesn't matter how many good runs Mckirdy and Melkersen make in behind defenders as we don't have a quality player with the vision to make these sort of passes in our current midfield.

Mango Man
13-12-2022, 01:07 PM
To be honest, I’m not sure why you have had such a hard time on this thread. Your opinion hasn’t been overly critical or unreasonable IMO. I think Melkerson has something, but it’s hard to put a positive spin on someone we signed a year ago not being any closer to being a starter a year down the line. Not all of that is Melkersons fault, IMO. It’s also not his fault that he was signed for such a big fee.

It’s fine to disagree that some, myself included, think he probably won’t make it at Hibs, but could still make it somewhere else. It does seem like some posters just want to shout any negativity down, even when that negativity is relatively tame and fairly balanced.

We either need to persist with him through the middle and let him develop into the role. Or loan him out in January. It’s been a waste of his and our time living on the periphery and not playing much football the last year or when he does it’s “to do a job” somewhere.

Spot on, no offence was intended, if it was, I would have said something a lot worse than that! And I totally can see why some might think there is something there, just not for me. Really hope he does make it here though, obviously.

RIP
13-12-2022, 01:12 PM
Both Melkersen and Mckirdy are two strikers that like to make runs in behind defenders and I feel we lack the creative midfielder who can do the defense splitting pass or a thru ball that they can latch onto . Melkersen done 2 or 3 of these runs against raith as I said but to no avail . Scott Allan was that type of player who I don't see us having in our midfield now . Boyle , Nisbet and Doidge are totally different players to Mckirdy and Melkersen. For me I'd like to see two of our current midfielder's moved on and some creativity added to the centre of the park. Imo it doesn't matter how many good runs Mckirdy and Melkersen make in behind defenders as we don't have a quality player with the vision to make these sort of passes in our current midfield.

This!

When Kukharevych, Youan, Melkersen and McKirdy played their first games for us, I saw them making runs. But almost all of the time the ball went out to the wingbacks, rather than centrally, through the inside channels or over the top in between the centre halves and goalie.

With the exception of Mykola, we have zero aerial threat in the box and the big man is generally well marked by the opposition centre halves. Personally I'd like to see wing play being the exception, rather than the rule, and change our playing style to suit the ten yard pace of Harry, Elie and Elias - rather than asking them to fit into play dictated from the flanks.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2022, 02:32 PM

Or do we move those 2 forwards on, and get some than offer more to the buildup, and create their own chances?

How is it Boyle has no problem getting in behind with out current midfield but these guys do? Imo, it's because he can also drop deep, make a pass and get the return. Melkersen doesn't do that. Even when Scott Allan was here, he wasn't just getting the ball and picking out runners. The forwards were contributing, making space for eachother, and also making passes for eachother.

Since90+2
13-12-2022, 03:32 PM
Or do we move those 2 forwards on, and get some than offer more to the buildup, and create their own chances?

How is it Boyle has no problem getting in behind with out current midfield but these guys do? Imo, it's because he can also drop deep, make a pass and get the return. Melkersen doesn't do that. Even when Scott Allan was here, he wasn't just getting the ball and picking out runners. The forwards were contributing, making space for eachother, and also making passes for eachother.

Because Boyle's a far better player would be the obvious answer.

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2022, 03:40 PM

Agreed. So perhaps more to the poor performances of Melkersen and Youan than the midfield.

Since90+2
13-12-2022, 03:56 PM
Agreed. So perhaps more to the poor performances of Melkersen and Youan than the midfield.

Or more to do with the fact Boyle is an exceptional player for this level. He's probably our best player of the last 10 years with the exception of McGinn.

You can't really say "well if Boyle can't, why can't they". He's an outlier.

WeeRussell
13-12-2022, 04:01 PM

And fast as f***. Usually handy for ‘getting in behind.’

MWHIBBIES
13-12-2022, 04:08 PM
Or more to do with the fact Boyle is an exceptional player for this level. He's probably our best player of the last 10 years with the exception of McGinn.

You can't really say "well if Boyle can't, why can't they". He's an outlier.

Scott Allan has as good argument for being our best player in that time other than McGinn too. Everyone seems to be saying getting a creative midfielder like him should be a skoosh.

The point is, there should be a little bit more to Melkersens game than ''he makes good runs occasionally''

Donegal Hibby
13-12-2022, 04:57 PM

Of course our strikers should be doing more as well and we could move the two on and get two more in but your still going to have the same problem with the midfield who seem incapable of playing a thru ball to a striker which is were your missing the point I'm trying to make that Melkersen was making runs and finding space but the ball continuously got played sideways. Boyle is just a exceptional player good with or without the ball though again I'm talking about strikers making runs without the ball hoping for a decent delivery . Michael Owen was brilliant at everything imo but the forward runs he would make were world class though still needed a defense splitting pass at times as below.
https://youtu.be/lrZVQL7g48A

Donegal Hibby
13-12-2022, 05:07 PM
Scott Allan has as good argument for being our best player in that time other than McGinn too. Everyone seems to be saying getting a creative midfielder like him should be a skoosh.

The point is, there should be a little bit more to Melkersens game than ''he makes good runs occasionally''
Totally agree with you that there should be a little bit more to Melkersen's though he's only 19 and hopefully that will come in time though making the occasional good run as you say is totally pointless with this current midfield who have to take some responsibility as well .

SMAXXA
13-12-2022, 09:22 PM
Wonder if all the experts wrote boyle off early in his Hibs career.