PDA

View Full Version : Josh Doig Sell-On Clause??

CentreLine
27-11-2022, 05:41 PM
According to the Scottish Sun, yes I know, there is a bit of a bidding war going on from Lazio, Bologna and Napoli, to sign Doig in the winter window. Any chance we have a decent sell-on clause?

hibby rae
27-11-2022, 05:46 PM
According to the Scottish Sun, yes I know, there is a bit of a bidding war going on from Lazio, Bologna and Napoli, to sign Doig in the winter window. Any chance we have a decent sell-on clause?

Iirc we did say we had a sell-on in place when we sold.

Would hope he doesn't got to Lazio being fascists, but I believe Hellas are a bit of a racist's team.

Napoli would be class

Jones28
27-11-2022, 05:53 PM
We will definitely have something in place.

McGruber
27-11-2022, 07:09 PM
We are hoping someone comes in for Doig and that his club are willing to sell and we have a good sell on % that we can use in the winter window to sign what we need.

We couldn't sign any of what we needed form the full 3 million Doig fee in the summer. Just a thought 🤔

Aldo
27-11-2022, 07:09 PM
I heard it was a set £150K 🫣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibiza
27-11-2022, 07:16 PM
Need to ask our transfer " Guru " - Ian Gordon or Daddy.

Big_Franck
27-11-2022, 07:47 PM

When we sold him, Hibs said that we'd achieved one of the highest fees we'd ever received for a player and that we'd negotiated what we called a "significant sell-on percentage". I don't think we'd have called it significant if it was 10%, so I think it'll be 15 or 20%.

hibby rae
27-11-2022, 08:46 PM
We are hoping someone comes in for Doig and that his club are willing to sell and we have a good sell on % that we can use in the winter window to sign what we need.

We couldn't sign any of what we needed form the full 3 million Doig fee in the summer. Just a thought 🤔

What we need and what Ian Gordon signs will probs be two different things 😢😢

Zambernardi1875
27-11-2022, 08:50 PM

if its true and those 3 clubs are interested it no wonder porto is turning down a hibs contract.

zitelli62
27-11-2022, 08:53 PM
I don't know how reliable this is but I was told 28% as I say not sure how reliable that info is but come from a good source.

Green Reaper
28-11-2022, 09:05 AM
28% is what I remember it being

Since452
28-11-2022, 09:06 AM
I don't know how reliable this is but I was told 28% as I say not sure how reliable that info is but come from a good source.

I've heard around that too. Believe it was a very good deal for Hibs.

Dr What If?
28-11-2022, 10:12 AM
Not seen anything regarding the type of numbers regarding what he is likely to be sold for.....is the potential fee mentioned anywhere?

Lago
28-11-2022, 10:43 AM
if its true and those 3 clubs are interested it no wonder porto is turning down a hibs contract.
But Josh didn't.

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2022, 10:53 AM
Not seen anything regarding the type of numbers regarding what he is likely to be sold for.....is the potential fee mentioned anywhere?

My uneducated guess is between 10-15 million. Italian clubs aren't huge spenders.

Him going to another Italian side isn't good for us because they love a player + cash deal. Potential gives us much less money

neil7908
28-11-2022, 10:58 AM
My uneducated guess is between 10-15 million. Italian clubs aren't huge spenders.

Him going to another Italian side isn't good for us because they love a player + cash deal. Potential gives us much less money

I have no clue how these things work but surely the value of the player bring exchanged would be taken into account though?

So if its agreed Doig is worth £15m and a club pay £7m and a player in exchange then we would still be getting out cut of £15m??

Ive knocked the club plenty recently but IF we have secured 28% sell on that's a great deal.

CropleyWasGod
28-11-2022, 11:10 AM
I have no clue how these things work but surely the value of the player bring exchanged would be taken into account though?

So if its agreed Doig is worth £15m and a club pay £7m and a player in exchange then we would still be getting out cut of £15m??

Ive knocked the club plenty recently but IF we have secured 28% sell on that's a great deal.

Yes.

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2022, 12:06 PM

It's based on the value of the player being exchanged, though, not Doig I think.

Its not ideal because say Verona desperately need X position. They may take money plus a player of lower value because their need is greater. Pure cash would be best for Hibs.

GreenPJ
28-11-2022, 12:17 PM

:agree:

CropleyWasGod
28-11-2022, 12:21 PM
It's based on the value of the player being exchanged, though, not Doig I think.

Its not ideal because say Verona desperately need X position. They may take money plus a player of lower value because their need is greater. Pure cash would be best for Hibs.

It's not.

There are 2 transactions. Player x is the subject of the 1st one, player y the 2nd one. It has to be that way for the purposes of tax, VAT, insurance, player registration etc.

So there are 2 invoices. The net amount of these invoices is the amount of cash that changes hands. But the value of the players is what is on the invoices.

MWHIBBIES
28-11-2022, 12:46 PM
It's not.

There are 2 transactions. Player x is the subject of the 1st one, player y the 2nd one. It has to be that way for the purposes of tax, VAT, insurance, player registration etc.

So there are 2 invoices. The net amount of these invoices is the amount of cash that changes hands. But the value of the players is what is on the invoices.

Good to know. Should be fine for us then.

Smartie
28-11-2022, 12:48 PM
It's not.

It's surely open to a bit of underhand manipulation though, no?

CropleyWasGod
28-11-2022, 12:50 PM

In what way?

You saying that Italians like a bit of financial ****housery? :greengrin

Keith_M
28-11-2022, 01:48 PM
Makes me smile when I think about the number of people that thought Doig was over-rated when he was at Hibs

:greengrin

OldEast
28-11-2022, 01:57 PM
Makes me smile when I think about the number of people that thought Doig was over-rated when he was at Hibs

I get what you mean but couldn't he have improved since he left? Different coaching? Playing a little more forward I believe? I'm happy for the laddie and always thought he would do well but I think the naysayers were talking about his defensive capabilities rather than his all round game. They had a point.

Smartie
28-11-2022, 02:40 PM

He had massive potential but we were yet to see what he was truly capable of. I thought his next season was going to be superb. Great first season, patchy second one, third one going to be better for having filled out physically and learned from his early experiences.

Like others, I'm delighted to see him do so well.

Dr What If?
28-11-2022, 02:48 PM
Potentially, you could have a scenario where the value of the transfer is £2m but a £10m player is transferred for free as part of the deal.

Zambernardi1875
28-11-2022, 04:14 PM
But Josh didn't.

Josh didn’t what?

StevesFamau5
28-11-2022, 08:57 PM
Iirc we did say we had a sell-on in place when we sold.

Would hope he doesn't got to Lazio being fascists, but I believe Hellas are a bit of a racist's team.

Napoli would be class

If you knew the truth in Italian football you'd realise that statement is completely wrong.

Happy to explain why but usually when I try and mention it nobody wants to listen.

Fun fact ol Facism himself Mussolini actually formed Roma, it was Lazio who stood against him. But for the actions of a minority of supporters and one numpty of a player its easy to tar the whole club with the same brush.

Also I would love to see Josh at Lazio. He's the type of player that would thrive under Sarri

7Hero
29-11-2022, 06:36 AM
We could have all the tea in china, until someone with brains is spending it we have no chance..

neil7908
29-11-2022, 08:13 AM

I thought he looked good but I'll be honest, I thought he was still miles away from being at a level to play consistently in Seria A, let alone be linked with a move to the league leaders.

Delighted for him and well done Hibs for securing what sounds like a very good cut of any future transfer fee.

nonshinyfinish
29-11-2022, 08:41 AM

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1276039133396373504

Thread on the accounting skulduggery when Barcelona and Juventus swapped Arthur and Pjanic.

Hibs4185
29-11-2022, 11:05 AM
I posted the percentage but I can’t remember if it was 28, 31 or 32%. I’ll need to try and check my posts!

It came from a source very close to Josh. Ive never been in the know but I was in the right place at the right time and it was verified.

Since452
29-11-2022, 11:09 AM

I was quite comfortable with him leaving. Very raw but huge potential. I think we replaced him very well. Great deal for the club all round.

Billy Whizz
29-11-2022, 01:56 PM
I posted the percentage but I can’t remember if it was 28, 31 or 32%. I’ll need to try and check my posts!

It came from a source very close to Josh. Ive never been in the know but I was in the right place at the right time and it was verified.

Do we owe Hearts anything

Up-the-slope
29-11-2022, 01:59 PM
:stirrer:

Since452
29-11-2022, 02:20 PM

A massive thank you

JimBHibees
29-11-2022, 02:22 PM
A massive thank you

I was thinking more the shat off my shoe :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
29-11-2022, 09:35 PM
https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1276039133396373504

Thread on the accounting skulduggery when Barcelona and Juventus swapped Arthur and Pjanic.

That scenario would be brilliant for us 😀

King Cosell
28-05-2023, 02:42 PM
17th Spezia P37 Pts31
18th Verona P37 Pts31

Spezia ahead on head-to-head. Final fixtures: Roma v Spezia, Milan v Verona.

Looks like Verona are going down, very strong chance Doig will be leaving this summer.

Musselbound
29-05-2023, 10:34 PM
17th Spezia P37 Pts31
18th Verona P37 Pts31

Looks like Verona are going down, very strong chance Doig will be leaving this summer.

Sure I heard on the commentary of Verona's last game that there will be a play off if Verona and Spezia finish on the same points total. So maybe not over yet.

neil7908
30-05-2023, 01:56 AM
17th Spezia P37 Pts31
18th Verona P37 Pts31

I've been keeping a (not very close) eye on their games and it looks like he's not been in the team much the last few weeks. Just wondering if his form has tailed off a bit, and therefore if he might not get a big move??

Bridge hibs
30-05-2023, 05:37 AM
I've been keeping a (not very close) eye on their games and it looks like he's not been in the team much the last few weeks. Just wondering if his form has tailed off a bit, and therefore if he might not get a big move??Was injured last game and not in the team, muscle injury apparently

Phil MaGlass
30-05-2023, 06:35 AM

Aye, probably the same folk that thought McGinn wisnae worth more than 3 mill.

Waxy
30-05-2023, 07:12 AM
We could have all the tea in china, until someone with brains is spending it we have no chance..

This should be a plaque in the boardroom

Swedish hibee
30-05-2023, 10:02 AM
He's not been playing for a while.
That og in the 96th minute was a sickner.. not looking good, but who knows what Milan team will show up this weekend?

overdrive
30-05-2023, 10:33 AM
Was there not a rumour (probably posted earlier on this thread) from a journalist that he hadn't been playing due to a contractual dispute (i.e. not getting paid)?

Spike Mandela
30-05-2023, 11:18 AM
These sell on clauses seem a bit of a rip off. Ultimately it just seems like we sell our players on the cheap but take a wee punt on future profits that never materialise.

HIBS NUTS
30-05-2023, 02:39 PM
These sell on clauses seem a bit of a rip off. Ultimately it just seems like we sell our players on the cheap but take a wee punt on future profits that never materialise.

We got a brilliant fee of £3 million for a young lad, who was not always a starter.
And a sell on of 30 percent.
Probably one of our best transfer deals ever.
😄

number9dream
30-05-2023, 02:55 PM
Sure I heard on the commentary of Verona's last game that there will be a play off if Verona and Spezia finish on the same points total. So maybe not over yet.

Definitely a play off if level on points.
Neutral venue, no extra time.

Spike Mandela
30-05-2023, 03:06 PM
We got a brilliant fee of £3 million for a young lad, who was not always a starter.
And a sell on of 30 percent.
Probably one of our best transfer deals ever.
😄

Was thinking more of the John McGinn transfer to be honest.

darwenhibby
30-05-2023, 04:46 PM
I would be surprised if we were to get anything more for SJM
He’s just been offer another new deal
Unless Villa are protecting their interests
Someone else said he is very happy there and which other EPL clubs would turn his head genuinely
Also if Verona are not paying wages could Doig go for nothing??

tamig
30-05-2023, 05:58 PM

We were still taking in cash for Fletch after a couple of his big money moves down south. Do you have many examples where it hasn’t worked for us? SJM has obviously stuck around at Villa but where are the others that haven’t worked? £3m for Doig was also hardly selling him on the cheap.

Smartie
30-05-2023, 06:32 PM

McGinn was entering the last year of his contract and our bargaining position was weakened.

It’s been a bit unfortunate that he’s not moved on, netting us a proper windfall but it’s not the worst deal we’ve ever done, as I’m pretty sure we’ll have done quite nicely out of a number of other clauses - just not the sell on one.

Paul1642
30-05-2023, 08:13 PM

It’s a gamble which in John McGinns case doesn’t looked to have paid off, although we didn’t really have a strong position to start with.

Had things gone slightly differently McGinn could easily been sold by Villa for £50+ million and it would have been a Greta price of business.

Here’s hoping Josh is a different outcome. Other than Josh and John so we have any other former players with decent sell on potential that could be coming out way? Porto presumably has something.

theonlywayisup
30-05-2023, 09:42 PM
Definitely a play off if level on points.
Neutral venue, no extra time.

Under the new rules this season, rather than using head-to-head record, if two teams are level on points for relegation, then it will be decided on a play-off match.

Musselbound
31-05-2023, 07:36 AM
I've been keeping a (not very close) eye on their games and it looks like he's not been in the team much the last few weeks. Just wondering if his form has tailed off a bit, and therefore if he might not get a big move??

You're right - but he's not even been on the bench. I've read in the Italian press this week that he is still sidelined with a muscular problem. He's just won a club award voted for by the fans so certainly popular with them. Newly promoted Genoa are the latest club to show an interest in Doig and he's valued at €10m.

Spudster
31-05-2023, 10:54 AM
Is there a danger of Doig having a relegation release clause that scuppers our sell-on?

Keith_M
31-05-2023, 10:58 AM

Had things gone slightly differently McGinn could easily been sold by Villa for £50+ million and it would have been a Greta price of business.

Is that a new expression among the young folk? Something to do with Greta Thunberg, maybe?

The modern world really confuses me, TBH.

Smartie
31-05-2023, 01:10 PM
Is that a new expression among the young folk? Something to do with Greta Thunberg, maybe?

The modern world really confuses me, TBH.

I think you may be reading way, way too much into a simple typo.

Not sure why but it reminds of a time, a few years ago, when I came back from the hairdressers with a new hairstyle, of which I was particularly proud. When asked for his thoughts on it my dad mumbled something that sounded a bit like asking if it was "a Travis doo" which I thought was his interpretation of it being a band he'd heard of, even if they weren't particularly known for trademark hairstyles.

Turns out he'd muttered that it was a travesty which with hindsight was a fairly accurate description but there you go.

Springbank
31-05-2023, 02:56 PM
Was there not a rumour (probably posted earlier on this thread) from a journalist that he hadn't been playing due to a contractual dispute (i.e. not getting paid)?

Yes that's correct - or, to put it differently - that's 100% the rumour that has been doing the rounds in Verona.

Doig regularly gets the fans vote MOTM & seems like a lot of Verona fans are resigned to losing him this summer (hopefully for a big fee of £10m plus)