PDA

View Full Version : Confirmed, Porteous won't sign new contract.

Pages : [1] 2

Hibrandenburg
26-11-2022, 04:47 PM
Club have just confirmed.

Joe6-2
26-11-2022, 04:50 PM
Club have just confirmed.

just a shame we won’t get cash for him, otherwise I’m not bothered

BILLYHIBS
26-11-2022, 04:52 PM
He gash anyway :greengrin

Best of luck wherever he goes

hibsbollah
26-11-2022, 04:52 PM
The news just keeps getting better and better :rolleyes:

cabbageandribs1875
26-11-2022, 04:56 PM
**** him

he can leave in january

i have far more respect for jason cummings/Boyle and the others that have saw the club right :agree:

Mikey_1875
26-11-2022, 04:57 PM
The fact he isn’t signing a new contract isn’t strange. I do find the timing and announcement strange. Don’t see the benefit of it.

Since452
26-11-2022, 05:00 PM
Fish gets his jersey until he leaves.

Colr
26-11-2022, 05:01 PM
Hardly surprising. Good luck to him.

HendoDelivered
26-11-2022, 05:01 PM
Don’t understand folk being bitter about it. He owes us nothing.

Leighonel
26-11-2022, 05:03 PM
**** him

he can leave in january

i have far more respect for jason cummings/Boyle and the others that have saw the club right :agree:

He signed a contract and honoured it, fair play to him. I hope he gets a good move.

green day
The fact he isn’t signing a new contract isn’t strange. I do find the timing and announcement strange. Don’t see the benefit of it.

Because we want rid in January for a fee, rather than him fannying around til May and then leaving.

SlickShoes

I think it’s the fact he’s not bothered just declining it and left it on the table as an option so we are left wondering if he maybe is going to sign

Broken Gnome
26-11-2022, 05:04 PM

Yeah, odd one, especially given the lack of quotes - all feels very cold and padded out with needless stats. Wonder if all parties were happy with it.

cabbageandribs1875
26-11-2022, 05:05 PM
He has signed a contract and has honoured it. I hope he gets a good move.

so did cummings and boyle

i still respect THEM more :agree:it's not too hard to work out why

Keith_M
26-11-2022, 05:05 PM

Can;t speak for anybody else but I'm not feeling bitter, just disappointed.

Mikey_1875
26-11-2022, 05:07 PM
Because we want rid in January for a fee, rather than him fannying around til May and then leaving.

Possibly. Would that not reduce the fee we could command rather than maximise the potential though?

Colinton Hibby
26-11-2022, 05:08 PM
His performances recently have been nothing short of shocking. He’ll be lucky to get championship down south, more likely league one.

Zambernardi1875
26-11-2022, 05:10 PM

wouldnt be surprised if a transfer is already agreed. smooths the fans into the reality instead of the shock news in a few days. wish him all the best, deserves a chance outside scottish football

green day
26-11-2022, 05:12 PM
Possibly. Would that not reduce the fee we could command rather than maximise the potential though?

Don't think we are going to get much anyway, he could sign a pca with someone and just swan around til May.

Diclonius
26-11-2022, 05:18 PM
Meh

tonyrougier123
26-11-2022, 05:19 PM
Looked a shadow of the player he can be for the most part this season.
Good luck to him but if he ends up in Glasgow can expect a frosty reception on his return.
Better off down south or abroad get out the road.
Disappointed he couldn’t commit but not surprised either.

Scooter
26-11-2022, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't play him again.

But this is absolutely the right decision for him. If I was him I'd be doing g the same

Hibeesforever
26-11-2022, 05:22 PM
Porteous should play in the Reserves now until we sell him in January...McCleland a better prospect.

Colinton Hibby
26-11-2022, 05:22 PM
I hope he does end up at one of the arse cheeks. Boyle and Nisbet would run him ragged.

eastterrace
26-11-2022, 05:25 PM
I hope he does end up at one of the arse cheeks. Boyle and Nisbet would run him ragged.😂😂

Hibbyradge
26-11-2022, 05:27 PM
I hope he signs for whichever club Gerrard ends up at.

JoeT
26-11-2022, 05:29 PM
I hope he signs for whichever club Gerrard ends up at.
Beale taking him to the Huns.....

Pretty Boy
26-11-2022, 05:33 PM
Huge blow to lose him and for nothing (or a token amount in January) just makes it even worse.

I don't blame him at all though. He will know what is out there and is entitled to seek what he believes he is worth. It should never have got to the stage that we were still negotiating when he only has 7 months left on his deal, it should have been resolved 12-18 months ago.

If he is still here after the January window then we continue to play him imo. We are a weaker team without him and we need as many good players as we can get right now and they are pretty thin on the ground in our current squad.

Clarence
26-11-2022, 05:34 PM
Good luck to him but if he ends up in Glasgow can expect a frosty reception on his return.

This is where I am with the situation. Feels like we’re back to the old days where we lost players in this way. The damage was done in the immediate post Leann era when there was no one making decisions. Hopefully the Gordon’s learn from this but this is a big fee that we have missed out on.

wookie70
26-11-2022, 05:38 PM
Pretty poor management of his contract from Hibs. He'll go for next to nothing and we only have ourselves to blame. Although he hasn't had a great season he did have a spell for a month where he showed how good he can be. I'd probably go back to playing 2 centre halves and Ryan can warm the bench now. It will be interesting to see how he gets on and hopefully that is down south

Colinton Hibby
26-11-2022, 05:40 PM
No team is paying big money for porto. He is and always has been a liability. Thinks he’s beckenbaur but in reality he’s on par with Darren Dodds. The big guy Fish looks a much better player.

Hibbyradge
26-11-2022, 05:41 PM
He's had a contract offer on the table for months.

Billy Whizz
26-11-2022, 05:42 PM
Why are we issuing a statement about this

HoboHarry
26-11-2022, 05:43 PM

To start a bidding war and try to recoup as much as possible in January I imagine.

JoeT
26-11-2022, 05:47 PM
No team is paying big money for porto. He is and always has been a liability. Thinks he’s beckenbaur but in reality he’s on par with Darren Dodds. The big guy Fish looks a much better player.

Most of this is bull**** other than Fish maybe covering until the summer

Stubbsy90+2
26-11-2022, 05:49 PM
Couldn’t care less about Porteous either way.

An average SPL defender whose game is absolutely littered with errors that balance out all the good stuff he can do stepping out the defence. His performances over the last two seasons have been absolutely nothing to rave about overall and his discipline has been terrible.

Fuzzywuzzy
26-11-2022, 05:50 PM
I've got a horrible feeling he'll be away to Der hun

SteveHFC
26-11-2022, 05:50 PM
Wonder if he moves west will he still be a target for refs

Greencore
26-11-2022, 05:53 PM
No hibs fan who plays for hibs would not sign a contract to get their boyhood heros cash. Even Jason Cummings (jambo) signed a new contract to get us cash. On the condition if an English club came in for a certain amount we wouldn't stand in his way. Boys a snake. Let him rott.

500miles
Wonder if he moves west will he still be a target for refs

No. And he'd be hailed as a great character and leader. They'd wax lyrical about he had gotten his head screwed on, when in fact the only change would be refs wouldn't dare target him as a OF player.

The Spaceman
Couldn’t care less about Porteous either way.

An average SPL defender whose game is absolutely littered with errors that balance out all the good stuff he can do stepping out the defence. His performances over the last two seasons have been absolutely nothing to rave about overall and his discipline has been terrible.

Agreed. We need better than Ryan Porteous to compete where we want to be competing. Had a lot of potential and probably still does, but my word has he stagnated past 2 seasons. Cya!

Baldy Foghorn

Wow, what a crock of piss this post is

dp00
26-11-2022, 05:54 PM
Wonder if hibs got sick of him stalling and gave him an ultimatum

Good luck to him, could have signed a contract similar to Cummings, mcginn , Boyle and got us some money but he hasn’t so we move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibeg
Why did I believe James, lesson to be learned. Don’t listen to the s....e posted on message boards
Try and sell him in the transfer window and get some money.

Hibiza
Goodbye 👋

Mark05
26-11-2022, 05:57 PM
Ryan looks after himself, for me he hasn't been the player he was as his head has been turned.Its a shame he's been a good player for hibs and I've enjoyed watching him.But now it's time to move on and play player's that want to play for the club that are 100 % committed to the club

Jones28
26-11-2022, 06:04 PM
He's had a contract offer on the table for months.

Yeah. Suggestions this is poor from the club are just trying to find something to moan about imo.

Kano Kirsty
26-11-2022, 06:07 PM
Be lucky to get £100k for him in January, and in form, not easy to replace.

Irish_Steve
26-11-2022, 06:08 PM
Pretty poor management of his contract from Hibs. He'll go for next to nothing and we only have ourselves to blame. Although he hasn't had a great season he did have a spell for a month where he showed how good he can be. I'd probably go back to playing 2 centre halves and Ryan can warm the bench now. It will be interesting to see how he gets on and hopefully that is down south

How on earth is it Hibs fault - Ryan probably knew months ago that he wouldn’t sign, what are Hibs supposed to do, torture him until he does?? Some folk look for any opportunity to have a pop at the club

JamesHFC
26-11-2022, 06:09 PM
I was told around the time that he won his first Scotland cap that a deal was basically signed and he was going nowhere. I'd like to apologise for this misinformation, the same person who told me that he was starting for Scotland that night & signing a new contract has told me today that he is joining one of the Old Firm, they apparently increased their offer after he put in a solid international performance. I hope we at least get some money for him in January.

Jones28
26-11-2022, 06:11 PM
I was told around the time that he won his first Scotland cap that a deal was basically signed and he was going nowhere. I'd like to apologise for this misinformation, the same person who told me that he was starting for Scotland that night & signing a new contract has told me today that he is joining one of the Old Firm, they apparently increased their offer after he put in a solid international performance. I hope we at least get some money for him in January.

Fair play James, it’s always a gamble passing on information and there’s been some unsavoury stuff on here previously when things haven’t gone the way someone said they would.

Of course if you said “don’t shoot the messenger” at the start of your post all of that would be avoided 😜

pacoluna
26-11-2022, 06:11 PM
Fair play James, it’s always a gamble passing on information and there’s been some unsavoury stuff on here previously when things haven’t gone the way someone said they would.

Of course if you said “don’t shoot the messenger” at the start of your post all of that would be avoided 😜

He was always going to start for Scotland in that game we had no CBs other than gallacher.

Baldy Foghorn
26-11-2022, 06:13 PM
He's wanted out Scottish game for a while, won't be at either Weegie team IMO

pacoluna
26-11-2022, 06:13 PM
Rocky will be the CB who makes us money.

BegbieHSC
26-11-2022, 06:14 PM
Unless he’s going to be subjected to an imminent media scandal, or he’s signed for the Huns or Celtic, there’s no way we should be putting out a statement about failed contract negotiations. It’s unprofessional, and the behaviour of a jilted lover. It’s thrown the lad under the bus, to the point he’s probably played his last game for us.

At this stage, I’ve got no resentment to the lad at all. We’ve taken advantage of him being a born Hibee, and kept him on the same 5 year prospect contract he signed with Fraser Murray in 2018. We’ve negotiated 2 new contracts with Newell in that period, and punted him to the back of the queue, earning a pittance, expecting easy negotiations at last minute.

The statement is such a poor move from us. Fans will be on his back non stop until he goes unfortunately. I wish him all the very best, and thank him for his time with us. I’m just gutted he’s not been part of a team to win a trophy, like all born Hibees dream of.

All the best, Porto.

HoboHarry
26-11-2022, 06:14 PM
As with all Hibs players I wish him well in the next chapter of his career. Served us well and I hope he goes to England and doesnt waste himself with either of the ugly sisters.

Sir David Gray
26-11-2022, 06:15 PM
Odd statement to release, I'd say that's pretty unprecedented for us as I can't remember us doing that before for any other player in this position.

Away in January would be my guess now as Hibs are obviously trying to flog him off to the highest bidder and I can't see that being too much - we'll be lucky to get £150k for him.

This season just gets better. 🙄

J-C
26-11-2022, 06:15 PM
Decent player prone to too many errors and doesn't do the basics enough, needs to concentrate on defending and stop thinking he's the next Beckenbauer.

chrisski33
26-11-2022, 06:16 PM
Nevermind im sure the club will survive without him despite our current owners. His latest performances havent been great anyway

H18 SFR
26-11-2022, 06:18 PM
If he goes to the Huns it will be a sore one to take.

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2022, 06:20 PM
I think he knows where his next contract is, and we will be trying to get as much as we can from that club in January, hopeing they would rather he went then than wait until the summer.

Gatecrasher
26-11-2022, 06:21 PM
Bad news for us but don't blame him to be honest, the club just goes from one issue to another, we are a basket case club just now. He's probably doing it for the best of his career. If he goes anywhere outside of Scotland he'll go with my best wishes.

marinello59
26-11-2022, 06:22 PM
I think he is a real talent and will be very hard to replace. I could see him signing a pre contract with somebody soon at which point the club maybe will have to move him on during the window. He will be missed.

J-C
26-11-2022, 06:23 PM
Do you think the fact that Johnson has mentioned we're 2.5 years too late in offering him a contract maybe get him into a bit of bother with Ron.

Sir David Gray
26-11-2022, 06:24 PM
Do you think the fact that Johnson has mentioned we're 2.5 years too late in offering him a contract maybe get him into a bit of bother with Ron.

I certainly think that was a bit of a dig at the club.

chrisski33
26-11-2022, 06:26 PM
Unless he’s going to be subjected to an imminent media scandal, or he’s signed for the Huns or Celtic, there’s no way we should be putting out a statement about failed contract negotiations. It’s unprofessional, and the behaviour of a jilted lover. It’s thrown the lad under the bus, to the point he’s probably played his last game for us.

At this stage, I’ve got no resentment to the lad at all. We’ve taken advantage of him being a born Hibee, and kept him on the same 5 year prospect contract he signed with Fraser Murray in 2018. We’ve negotiated 2 new contracts with Newell in that period, and punted him to the back of the queue, earning a pittance, expecting easy negotiations at last minute.

The statement is such a poor move from us. Fans will be on his back non stop until he goes unfortunately. I wish him all the very best, and thank him for his time with us. I’m just gutted he’s not been part of a team to win a trophy, like all born Hibees dream of.

All the best, Porto.

I disagree. I think the timing is fine and at least we know the score. Hes had a contract on the table for a while.

Silky
26-11-2022, 06:29 PM
Odd statement to release, I'd say that's pretty unprecedented for us as I can't remember us doing that before for any other player in this position.

Away in January would be my guess now as Hibs are obviously trying to flog him off to the highest bidder and I can't see that being too much - we'll be lucky to get £150k for him.

This season just gets better. 🙄

I don't see the problem with it. Getting his situation out there to get some cash in January. And I think you're right, the season will get better. Porteous has been honking and, frankly, could ha e done with being dropped. Onwards and upwards.

Billy Whizz
To start a bidding war and try to recoup as much as possible in January I imagine.

I’m sure agents and clubs know he’s out of control at soon, no need for a statement

h18eeynick
The way he plays he is never going to be far from a bad injury. Good luck to him but a big gamble.

Stubbsy90+2
I’d be stunned if he ends up at Rangers. Their fans absolutely despise him and he’d have to get off to a flyer to change that.

Jones28
26-11-2022, 06:31 PM
Incredible that the club get accused of being terrible with communication and then slaughtered for releasing a statement that communicated some quite important news.

Billy Whizz
26-11-2022, 06:32 PM
Wow, what a crock of piss this post is

There’s quite a few on this thread today BF
If maybe we’d looked after the likes of Ryan etc a year or so ago, instead of faffing about with offering the likes of Mueller £10k per week

JamesHFC
26-11-2022, 06:36 PM

If I was able to put money on him staying a couple of months ago I would have. The fact he's happy to leave us for nothing says a lot about him as a person tbh, my nephew who is 7 years old asked him for a photo once and Porto said "**** off you fat ****". I've never really respected him on a human level since. I just hope as a club we get some cash from him before he goes to one of the ugly sisters.

O'Rourke3
26-11-2022, 06:38 PM
Just enough games before the window opens to get sent off at Ibrox and miss a few games then....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
26-11-2022, 06:39 PM
How on earth is it Hibs fault - Ryan probably knew months ago that he wouldn’t sign, what are Hibs supposed to do, torture him until he does?? Some folk look for any opportunity to have a pop at the club

Including the current manager it seems.

cabbageandribs1875
26-11-2022, 07:07 PM
if he goes to either the old firm i wonder how many hibs fans will actually change their minds and admit that he can indeed be a little, ermm...sneaky on the field

Pretty Boy
26-11-2022, 07:11 PM
if he goes to either the old firm i wonder how many hibs fans will actually change their minds and admit that he can indeed be a little, ermm...sneaky on the field

Every single one I'd wager.

Rightly so too. I've always been a hypocrite as a fan. Love them when they play for us, hate them when they are against us.

Lago
26-11-2022, 07:15 PM
I think he will be set on a move south.

Jim44
26-11-2022, 07:18 PM
I would get rid now and get a few quid for him. He’ll be a passenger for the second half of the season, keeping himself fit for his new team. We’re a really poor team just now and I don’t think our survival depends on him. We need committed Hibs players and he doesn’t qualify.

cabbageandribs1875
26-11-2022, 07:19 PM
Every single one I'd wager.

Rightly so too. I've always been a hypocrite as a fan. Love them when they play for us, hate them when they are against us.

actually i worded that wrongly, i mean how many more will actually feel a little more comfortable calling him out for it on here, rather than keeping it to themselves thus avoiding the usual, ermm 'unkind' words that would fire their way ;)

cabbageandribs1875
26-11-2022, 07:20 PM

i really hope so

Lago
26-11-2022, 07:59 PM
I certainly think that was a bit of a dig at the club.
Maybe he knows he's on the way out as well.

Unseen work
26-11-2022, 08:01 PM
Find the announcement a bit off myself.

Teams in January will now try and low ball us knowing we want to sell and we have games before then too.

Hibbyradge
26-11-2022, 08:02 PM
No hibs fan who plays for hibs would not sign a contract to get their boyhood heros cash. Even Jason Cummings (jambo) signed a new contract to get us cash. On the condition if an English club came in for a certain amount we wouldn't stand in his way. Boys a snake. Let him rott.

Only one t in rot, mate.

Cammy
26-11-2022, 08:04 PM

Was talking to a hibee on holiday a month ago who's son played at youth level with Porto and are still friends. He said that Heckingbottom has remained in regular contact with Porteous so wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up in Sheffield.

I’m not ‘in the know’.

Real Emerald
26-11-2022, 08:07 PM
We really should have cashed in. He’s a marked man in Scotland with the BBC Jambo/Hun/Sheep media and was always going to struggle with that at Hibs.

He also probably realised that we’ve signed an army of pish players over the past couple of seasons and his future would be better elsewhere.

He’s one player I honestly couldn’t care is leaving but gutted we’ll now get peanuts for him.

jeffers
26-11-2022, 08:12 PM
On his game he’s a great player who we will struggle to replace. This season not so much. I wouldn’t play him again and get used to a team without him.

FitbaFolkKen
26-11-2022, 08:13 PM
If I was able to put money on him staying a couple of months ago I would have. The fact he's happy to leave us for nothing says a lot about him as a person tbh, my nephew who is 7 years old asked him for a photo once and Porto said "**** off you fat ****". I've never really respected him on a human level since. I just hope as a club we get some cash from him before he goes to one of the ugly sisters.

I can’t decide if this is a joke or not [emoji102]

The positive in him not signing is it frees up a big wage for a replacement.

GreenCastle
26-11-2022, 08:34 PM
Rangers have had issues at centre back…Goldson injured and Souttar injured etc.

Celtic well if he goes to them Huns will hate him even more.

Does have a feeling of he’s either already agreed to move elsewhere or Hibs want to make it a bidding war.

Worryingly without Boyle and Porto we loose 2 characters and good players.

Real Emerald
26-11-2022, 08:36 PM
On his game he’s a great player who we will struggle to replace. This season not so much. I wouldn’t play him again and get used to a team without him.

If he isn’t sold in January he shouldn’t play. We’ve got so many poor players he really wouldn’t be missed, someone else is waiting to **** it up if he’s not playing. He could have been a good player if he could screw the heid. Ah well.

B.H.F.C
26-11-2022, 08:36 PM

He’s not the first boyhood fan to let his contract run down. He won’t be the last either.

Ian Murray did it. Riordan did it.

What seems to be forgotten is that teams haven’t exactly been battering the door down for him. From his point of view I think he’s doing the right thing here and maximising his chances of a move. Talk of him being a snake and stuff like that is mental.

sadtom
26-11-2022, 08:43 PM
Really disappointing.
By far and away our best player and biggest asset.
Some of the utter garbage folk spout on here is laughable.

Good luck to Ryan. He will have a great career. Just wish he had decided to do the right thing by the club, but he’s not the first and won’t be the last to prioritise his own interests over the club’s.

Personally, unless we get an offer in excess of 1 million for him (doubtful) I would let him play out his contract.
Getting another 6 months of Ryan in the team could be worth a fair chunk of cash to the club and give the club time to bleed in or find his replacement and plan for the future.

neil7908
26-11-2022, 08:44 PM
I completely get why he's leaving and it's the best thing for his career but I have an overwhelming urge to tell him to GTF.

It's likely just frustration at how poor we've been this year.

But every time a player, a home grown talent especially, leaves us for nothing it sticks in my throat. We've seen both Cummings and McGinn leave in the 'right way' so it is certainly possible to leave the club, get yourself a payday and keep the fans onside.

It's also pretty clear that Ryan has an ego on him. When all is well it's great to see that swagger but his form has been at best mixed, at worst poor this year so again it's a tough one to take.

I'd be leaving him out of the team and looking to sell in January. We are in for a hard time right now and need players fully focused on this club.

Alfred E Newman
26-11-2022, 08:51 PM
Not surprised he has decided to move on given the treatment he has had from the media up here and I have long since given up hope that we will ever build a team to give us long term if modest success in Scotland.
Worse than that, we now appear to be going backwards at an alarming rate and it looks like we could be heading for a turbulent second half of the season.

JimBHibees
26-11-2022, 08:51 PM
Porteous should play in the Reserves now until we sell him in January...McCleland a better prospect.

In what way :greengrin

JimBHibees
26-11-2022, 08:52 PM

Yep don't understand the purpose of it

GreenGray
26-11-2022, 08:52 PM
Yeah. Suggestions this is poor from the club are just trying to find something to moan about imo.

It’s poor from the club because he should have had an offer years ago, not months

GreenGray
26-11-2022, 08:56 PM

There’s no guarantee he would get an offer though if he signed?

Unfortunately it’s just the way it is, us as fans think it would be an easy decision hypothetically but until you’re in that situation you’ll never know.

It’s a short career, and one that isn’t actually as lucrative as many think, especially in Scotland.

Can’t knock a player for looking after himself and his future unfortunately.

The dalmeny
26-11-2022, 08:57 PM

stops speculation and put up a for sale sign?

Jones28
26-11-2022, 09:05 PM
It’s poor from the club because he should have had an offer years ago, not months

He’d have been one the highest earners the clubs ever had. Hibs owe him nothing.

Zambernardi1875
26-11-2022, 09:12 PM
He’d have been one the highest earners the clubs ever had. Hibs owe him nothing.

that isnt what he said, hibs shouldve tied him down years ago not months or 1 year. giving newell 2 deals since porto last contract is pretty ****ing disgusting

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2022, 09:14 PM
that isnt what he said, hibs shouldve tied him down years ago not months or 1 year. giving newell 2 deals since porto last contract is pretty ****ing disgusting

Why do you pick Newell? Nothing disgusting about it. Ryan doesn't want to be here. Nothing we can do really. Maybe stop abusing the guys who do?

Mrimbetween
26-11-2022, 09:16 PM
I wonder if clubs will pay a right few quid for a player they can get for he haw in the summer

Hope so but dont see it

An elephant in the room for an age where the player pretty much holds all the cards

Dont blame Hibs, done all all they could imo

Stubbsy90+2
26-11-2022, 09:19 PM
He’s not the first boyhood fan to let his contract run down. He won’t be the last either.

Ian Murray did it. Riordan did it.

What seems to be forgotten is that teams haven’t exactly been battering the door down for him. From his point of view I think he’s doing the right thing here and maximising his chances of a move. Talk of him being a snake and stuff like that is mental.

:agree:

From his side of things I think this was the only way he was ever getting a move.

Hibs wouldn’t sell for penny’s and I honestly don’t think anyone would pay all that much for him. Teams are more likely to take a chance now that he’s free, a chance that I don’t think anyone would pay £1m+ for if he had a long contract.

Cammy
26-11-2022, 09:37 PM

I’ve had the impression that Porteous was not going to sign another deal after Hibs stopped him moving a couple of seasons ago. No amount of negotiations can get round a player intent on moving. Did hibs not start negotiations on a new deal last season and have got nowhere close to an agreement? At least the announcement makes it clear where everyone stands.

BH1875
26-11-2022, 09:39 PM
I’m absolutely gutted he’s away. Love him as a player but don’t blame him for wanting out. Contract should have been sorted out at least a year ago. His form has not been great this year but he’s still our best CH by some distance. What is the difference in prize money between the places in the league? Because I wouldn’t let him go for any less than that as he could be the difference between finishing top or bottom 6

loanheadhibby
26-11-2022, 09:43 PM
Why do you pick Newell? Nothing disgusting about it. Ryan doesn't want to be here. Nothing we can do really. Maybe stop abusing the guys who do?

Because Newell is a huge part of the mess we are in.
Hides in the bigger away games and I'm really worried he won't be up for it in the next four games.
I know you're a big fan so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

NAE NOOKIE
26-11-2022, 09:46 PM
Doesn't owe us anything, but we don't owe him anything either. Been part of a few 'meh' seasons for Hibs and now at the age of 23 the most used comment about him is still 'there's a player in there'

On his day excellent, but when it's not he's still error prone and liable to silly bookings and the odd red card .... no doubt he has been a bit of a marked man and possibly a move down south to the championship will be good for him.

In the end he is miles from being irreplaceable just like practically every other member of our squad and even though I would liked to have seen him become a Pat Stanton or even Gordon Hunter type player for us it seems that's not to be .... good luck to him wherever he goes, but in the end we'll move on and he'll be a footnote at best in the memory of most fans 5 years from now, hopefully sooner because of something good we do on the pitch after he has gone.

CB Hibs 68
26-11-2022, 09:55 PM
I completely get why he's leaving and it's the best thing for his career but I have an overwhelming urge to tell him to GTF.

But every time a player, a home grown talent especially, leaves us for nothing it sticks in my throat. We've seen both Cummings and McGinn leave in the 'right way' so it is certainly possible to leave the club, get yourself a payday and keep the fans onside.

It's also pretty clear that Ryan has an ego on him. When all is well it's great to see that swagger but his form has been at best mixed, at worst poor this year so again it's a tough one to take.

I'd be leaving him out of the team and looking to sell in January. We are in for a hard time right now and need players fully focused on this club.

Woulldnt describe it as ego.More along the lines of ambition.Factor in that leaving Scottish Fitba means he will earn way more than Hibs can offer and he want be treated as badly by the officials where ever he goes.Good luck to him but not at all surprised for reasons mentioned above as to why he Will leave Hibs

Zambernardi1875
26-11-2022, 10:07 PM

has the mirror broken in yer bedsit

neil7908
26-11-2022, 10:12 PM
Woulldnt describe it as ego.More along the lines of ambition.Factor in that leaving Scottish Fitba means he will earn way more than Hibs can offer and he want be treated as badly by the officials where ever he goes.Good luck to him but not at all surprised for reasons mentioned above as to why he Will leave Hibs

I get it, and logically Ryan is making the right choice.

But with all respect, I support Hibs, not individual players. And personally I don't feel that pull to Ryan as I do with others who have been at the club for a few years.

Again, it's probably just annoyance at our season going so badly and the way this whole saga has dragged out but I won't be looking out for his career the way I've done with the likes of McGinn.

And I definitely think he has an ego. Not just saying that based on this decision but the way he speaks to other players. He might grow into a great leader on the pitch but he'll need to prove himself at a new club and won't be afforded the same status as he has at ER.

chrisski33
26-11-2022, 10:18 PM
Tbh in 5 yrs it will be Ryan who? 😳

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2022, 10:25 PM
Because Newell is a huge part of the mess we are in.
Hides in the bigger away games and I'm really worried he won't be up for it in the next four games.
I know you're a big fan so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

He's certainly no more or less to blame than any other players. Significant less to blame than club management who ultimately employ everyone.

When you think about it, he's really not a huge part of the mess. No player is.

Zambernardi1875
26-11-2022, 10:42 PM
He's certainly no more or less to blame than any other players. Significant less to blame than club management who ultimately employ everyone.

When you think about it, he's really not a huge part of the mess. No player is.

nobody said newell was the problem, the people who offered him 2 extended contracts while porto go nothing are to blame

keep the faith
26-11-2022, 11:55 PM

I agree with this. For all his posturing about being a big hibee, he was very keen on the first sniff of a move when Millwall approached last Jan.

He could very easily have signed a new deal which would have not put off championship clubs bidding for him (2-3 M is chicken feed for these clubs) but looked after hibs interests too.

His ego outstrips his actual ability IMO - which is erratic and we now need to move on without him. Some here saying he owes us nothing. I disagree, we owe him nothing and need to know play players who want to be here and have the clubs interests at heart.

Smartie
27-11-2022, 12:10 AM
I think he’s got bags of ability but a serious deficiency somewhere, possibly between his ears.

Funny, for all his ability I’ve never really taken to him.

I actually think we’ll improve once he goes. He’s more of a bomb scare than all our previous bomb scares put together and I hate the way he bollocks young players.

We’ll not get as good a player as him but I’d be amazed if we couldn’t get someone who plays in a defence where the “sum of it’s parts” thing comes into play.

He got his head turned (along with Nisbet) a year ago in January. At that point he pretty much checked out and since then we’ve just had wild inconsistency, not what you need from a CH.

As much as there is to criticise the club for right now, I don’t think they could have done anything more here.

Haymaker
27-11-2022, 01:04 AM
Annoying and disappointing news. Let's cash in the best we can, throw the money at Griffiths to cone score the goals to save us from Relegation and get looking for his replacement (hopefully in our own ranks).

AdidasHibernian
27-11-2022, 01:45 AM
Genuinely not that fussed. Feel he has been over hyped something chronic at times. Has mistakes in him and not really arsed he is leaving. He has one good game in three these days..had a wee spell this year around the call up but back to being too inconsistent. Do well to get a move to a championship club down south. If he goes to the zombies he will end up like Soutter.
Get some money for him and move on.

KWJ
27-11-2022, 01:51 AM
nobody said newell was the problem, the people who offered him 2 extended contracts while porto go nothing are to blame

You really think they've just started panicking and throwing money at Porteous now? I'd expect he's had offers on the table cor the past 2-3 years.

HH81
27-11-2022, 03:50 AM

Maybe we have accepted a bid so wanted info to be out there now. Stop a lot of over reacting when it's announced.

bigwheel
27-11-2022, 05:21 AM
Maybe we have accepted a bid so wanted info to be out there now. Stop a lot of over reacting when it's announced.

That doesn’t make sense ..would be simpler and easier to understand to announce that

Yorkshire HFC
27-11-2022, 05:31 AM
It seems to me that Hibs have no identity - he'll no doubt be replaced by yet another loan signing from the Belgian 3rd division or the lower leagues in England - someone who'll stay for a year then move on.

It's just like building a business - you need to build a team around a few key players - and he should have been one of these players. A young local player who has played for Scotland - we need more of them. The management should have realised this and dealt with it.

But as the situation is, I don't see how you can blame the player for moving on - no doubt he'll double / treble his wages and get new life experiences. It looks to me like he's winning at life - good on him.

But Hibs? Can someone tell me what positives the Ron Gordon era has brought to the club? All I read on here is how great he is at raising and spending money on the club - I just don't see it. If the clubs doing so well financially then why can't we keep our best players?

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2022, 05:35 AM
It seems to me that Hibs have no identity - he'll no doubt be replaced by yet another loan signing from the Belgian 3rd division or the lower leagues in England - someone who'll stay for a year then move on.

It's just like building a business - you need to build a team around a few key players - and he should have been one of these players. A young local player who has played for Scotland - we need more of them. The management should have realised this and dealt with it.

But as the situation is, I don't see how you can blame the player for moving on - no doubt he'll double / treble his wages and get new life experiences. It looks to me like he's winning at life - good on him.

But Hibs? Can someone tell me what positives the Ron Gordon era has brought to the club? All I read on here is how great he is at raising and spending money on the club - I just don't see it. If the clubs doing so well financially then why can't we keep our best players?

Maybe he'll be replaced by a decent player with good caliber like Doig was?

Yorkshire HFC
27-11-2022, 05:39 AM
Maybe he'll be replaced by a decent player with good caliber like Doig was?

Maybe - I hope so. But what is Hibs success rate in the transfer market? It's a massive gamble.

Since452
27-11-2022, 05:55 AM
Porteous will be playing for Ross County in a few years time. Probably beating us at ER 😂

Dmas
27-11-2022, 06:07 AM

Considering the hassle this guy puts up with almost every time he makes a tackle there could be more in it than just financial, you should realise that but its just another opportunity for you to bash RG, this is the first player to leave without a fee had RG not been here there is a good chance Doig wouldn't have had a contract extension before leaving and Boyle probably would have been sold to Aberdeen for 500k, nizzy would have been away within his first 6 months.

there are enough things going on worthy of bashing the RG era over without making stuff up or just not bothering to remember the things working well.

Since452
27-11-2022, 06:17 AM
Really disappointing.
By far and away our best player and biggest asset.
Some of the utter garbage folk spout on here is laughable.

Good luck to Ryan. He will have a great career. Just wish he had decided to do the right thing by the club, but he’s not the first and won’t be the last to prioritise his own interests over the club’s.

Personally, unless we get an offer in excess of 1 million for him (doubtful) I would let him play out his contract.
Getting another 6 months of Ryan in the team could be worth a fair chunk of cash to the club and give the club time to bleed in or find his replacement and plan for the future.

Best player? He isn't even our best CB. Bar a good month or so he's largely been a liability over the last few seasons.

marinello59
27-11-2022, 06:27 AM
Best player? He isn't even our best CB. Bar a good month or so he's largely been a liability over the last few seasons.

A liability? A bit strong no? I can appreciate you don’t rate him as a player but he’s been no liability. He will go on to have a good career, I only wish it was with us. Best of luck to him, he is going to leave a big gap to be filled.

bigwheel
27-11-2022, 06:32 AM
A liability? A bit strong no? I can appreciate you don’t rate him as a player but he’s been no liability. He will go on to have a good career, I only wish it was with us. Best of luck to him, he is going to leave a big gap to be filled.

Exactly where I am ..[emoji106]

Bridge hibs
27-11-2022, 06:45 AM
Exactly where I am ..[emoji106]The bitterness and some of the name calling towards Porteous on here is ****ing embarrassing. Yes he hasnt had the best of seasons so far but then the same can be said for most of the first team, he has decided to move on, his choice but no need for the ****ing vitriol, pathetic from some so called hibs fans, if thats the way you support one of your own players then maybe its best he moves on. No doubt you will find another target from the comfort of your keyboard

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2022, 06:47 AM
Maybe - I hope so. But what is Hibs success rate in the transfer market? It's a massive gamble.

Probably about the same as everyone else

Stubbsy90+2
27-11-2022, 07:05 AM
The bitterness and some of the name calling towards Porteous on here is ****ing embarrassing. Yes he hasnt had the best of seasons so far but then the same can be said for most of the first team, he has decided to move on, his choice but no need for the ****ing vitriol, pathetic from some so called hibs fans, if thats the way you support one of your own players then maybe its best he moves on. No doubt you will find another target from the comfort of your keyboard

A lot of people have held the same view on Porteous for years. For alot of people there’s nothing bitter about it and our opinions haven’t come off the back of him deciding to leave. We just don’t think he’s that good and never have.

I personally couldn’t care less if he left or stayed and I thought that well before his contract came to a head.

Carheenlea
27-11-2022, 07:08 AM
Can remember George Craig talking a number of years ago about Porteous, and that he was such a prized asset he was going to make “millions” for Hibs and his development was being managed in such a way to ensure that would be the end game.

Really just further evidence of serious ineptitude behind the scenes at Easter Road and East Mains and a consequence of good people departing the club and being replaced by lesser adept individuals. (And some not being replaced at all)

Stubbsy90+2
27-11-2022, 07:15 AM
As much as I don’t rate Porteous all that highly, it did make me look at the squad and notice that considering Ron seems to want a team of high value players, he’s one of the last players at us who could have commanded any real transfer fee.

By the time Boyle is back he’ll be 30, so I’d be stunned if he ever leaves for a fee again. Nisbet is probably the only player we are left with who potentially has a significant fee in him in the near future and even that is based on him coming back and doing well after a serious injury. He’s also only got a year and a half left so it’s this summer or never with him unless he extends.

We’ve been really quite open about wanting to build a squad with high value yet this is potentially now the lowest value squad we’ve had since relegation. In each of these seasons we’ve had combinations of Scott Allan/Cummings, McGinn/Cummings, McGinn/Cummings/Marciano, McGinn/Marciano/Boyle, Marciano/Allan/Boyle, Boyle/Porteous, Boyle/Porteous and finally it was whittled down to just Porteous when Boyle left.

bigwheel
27-11-2022, 07:15 AM
Can remember George Craig talking a number of years ago about Porteous, and that he was such a prized asset he was going to make “millions” for Hibs and his development was being managed in such a way to ensure that would be the end game.

Really just further evidence of serious ineptitude behind the scenes at Easter Road and East Mains and a consequence of good people departing the club and being replaced by lesser adept individuals. (And some not being replaced at all)

We seem to have lost that integration between football strategy and player development….

Hibs wanted Porto to be one of the players to build a team around. It’s why they put such a big offer to him . You can argue whether they should have secured him earlier , maybe they tried ? But they put as good an offer as possible to him and will be gutted to see him go .

Since452
27-11-2022, 07:18 AM
A lot of people have held the same view on Porteous for years. For alot of people there’s nothing bitter about it and our opinions haven’t come off the back of him deciding to leave. We just don’t think he’s that good and never have.

Exactly. If we'd signed Porteous from say, St Mirren, the vast majority would be saying he was a crap signing. As usual someone coming through the youth system gets cut way more slack than they should. I'm not saying he's a bad player. I think he's an average player playing in an average team. The arguments on here whether it should be Hanlon or Porteous dropped tell their own story. And I'm certainly not going to wish him well while he's refused to sign a new contract while hugely contributing to our woeful form.

bigwheel
27-11-2022, 07:19 AM
The bitterness and some of the name calling towards Porteous on here is ****ing embarrassing. Yes he hasnt had the best of seasons so far but then the same can be said for most of the first team, he has decided to move on, his choice but no need for the ****ing vitriol, pathetic from some so called hibs fans, if thats the way you support one of your own players then maybe its best he moves on. No doubt you will find another target from the comfort of your keyboard

Completely agree …he wants to move on ..completely within his rights …he’ll be a big miss . You only have to hear what some of the players think of him to realise that . And yes , unfortunately some fans seem to go really personal with their views . People seem to delight in having someone to dislike or blame .

Betty Boop
27-11-2022, 07:20 AM

I don't believe he said that

B.H.F.C
27-11-2022, 07:23 AM
As much as I don’t rate Porteous all that highly, it did make me look at the squad and notice that considering Ron seems to want a team of high value players, he’s one of the last players at us who could have commanded any real transfer fee.

By the time Boyle is back he’ll be 30, so I’d be stunned if he ever leaves for a fee again. Nisbet is probably the only player we are left with who potentially has a significant fee in him and even that is based on him coming back and doing well after a serious injury. He’s also only got a year and a half left so it’s this summer or never with him unless he extends.

We’ve been really quite open about wanting to build a squad with high value yet this is potentially now the lowest value squad we’ve had since relegation. In each of these seasons we’ve had combinations of Scott Allan/Cummings, McGinn/Cummings, McGinn/Cummings/Marciano, McGinn/Marciano/Boyle, Marciano/Allan/Boyle, Boyle/Porteous, Boyle/Porteous and finally it was whittled down to just Porteous when Boyle left.

My concern is that it’s going to take something drastic, like a relegation, to make them realise their strategy is just stripping the quality out of the first team. I think January will be more of the same and Ron will pop up at some point to tell us about how good the window(s) has been.

B.H.F.C
27-11-2022, 07:28 AM
Completely agree …he wants to move on ..completely within his rights …he’ll be a big miss . You only have to hear what some of the players think of him to realise that . And yes , unfortunately some fans seem to go really personal with their views . People seem to delight in having someone to dislike or blame .

There’s a reason he’s got a Scotland cap this season and the club were so desperate to keep him.

He’s not without his faults, but he’ll go on to have a good career and is easily the best centre half at the club IMO.

Gloucester Hibs
27-11-2022, 07:36 AM

Did he, aye?

CockneyRebel
27-11-2022, 07:36 AM

He wasn't offered a new contract last week! There has been a contract on the table for over a year now and he has bided his time to see what other options arise. Hibs will have made the very best offer they could. Where is the ineptitude there. It happens regularly at clubs all over the globe, some players extend to give the club a selling fee and some don't.

Like most supporters I would have liked to see him sign a contract extension for a year or so, like some previous players, but the ball was always in his court not ours. Also, we should remember that he will have an agent looking to maximise his commission so there is more than one candidate for the role of villain.

Stubbsy90+2
27-11-2022, 07:40 AM
He wasn't offered a new contract last week! There has been a contract on the table for over a year now and he has bided his time to see what other options arise. Hibs will have made the very best offer they could. Where is the ineptitude there. It happens regularly at clubs all over the globe, some players extend to give the club a selling fee and some don't.

Like most supporters I would have liked to see him sign a contract extension for a year or so, like some previous players, but the ball was always in his court not ours. Also, we should remember that he will have an agent looking to maximise his commission so there is more than one candidate for role of villain.

If Porteous signed an extension he would likely have not got a move.

Nobody has been all that interested in paying a large fee for him so far and his performances for a while now haven’t been nearly good enough to change that.

Leaving on a free/small fee was always his ticket out of Hibs. Leaving with Hibs receiving a large fee was never an option. Nobody has ever been forthcoming with one. If he wants a move he’d have been mental to sign a new deal.

I don’t blame anyone here really. He was never going to sign and Hibs can’t force him.

jeffers
27-11-2022, 07:44 AM
There’s a reason he’s got a Scotland cap this season and the club were so desperate to keep him.

He’s not without his faults, but he’ll go on to have a good career and is easily the best centre half at the club IMO.

Can’t disagree with any of that, just think he’s been mainly poor this season and replacing what he’s given us won’t be that difficult. On the other hand replacing what he’s capable of is a totally different story.

Like others I’ve heard we put together a fantastic deal in Hibs terms which would have put him up there with our highest earners, but was also told from the start he had no intention of staying. Whether things would have been different if we’d put the offer to him last season I don’t know.

Heisenberg
27-11-2022, 08:04 AM

Mathie etc had plenty chance to extend his contract and didn’t do it. If he was such a prized asset they should’ve been all over it but instead let it slide for ages.

Greencore
27-11-2022, 08:08 AM
If he can't be consistent enough for his boyhood heros the team he is meant to love he has no chance elsewhere lol

Smartie
27-11-2022, 08:09 AM
TBH, every time Hibs have "pushed the boat out" in recent history it has ended up being little short of disastrous, so I'm pretty glad we've not ended up shelling out top whack for someone you could make a strong case for dropping.

Since90+2
Probably about the same as everyone else

Why are we absolutely ***** then?

Keith_M
I don't believe he said that

I'm glad it's not just me...

Carheenlea
27-11-2022, 08:12 AM
Mathie etc had plenty chance to extend his contract and didn’t do it. If he was such a prized asset they should’ve been all over it but instead let it slide for ages.

They’ve been out the picture for some time now to be fair.

Good management of the player would have ensured a career transition to reward both player and club. It’s fine to say “an offers been on the table for a year” etc, but to me, this just looks like disengagement between player and club.

The Modfather
27-11-2022, 08:19 AM
If he can't be consistent enough for his boyhood heros the team he is meant to love he has no chance elsewhere lol

I think he’s probably progressed as much as he ever would at Hibs. Some of that is his own doing, some of that is he’s playing in a shambles of a team that is getting worse.

Disappointing to lose him but if he’s to reach his potential he probably needs to drop his friends and get away from Dalkeith. I really hope he goes abroad. If he ends up at the Old Firm he’ll still be making the same mistakes on and off the field. A move abroad, or even down south, might be the making of him. Chance for him to grow up and also not be a big fish in a small pond at Hibs which I don’t think helps him. Wish him well either way.

neil7908
27-11-2022, 08:40 AM
I'm certainly not a happy clapper and have voiced my concerns about the owner, manager and players plenty this year but I'm honestly not sure how anyone can have a go at Hibs here.

It's clear we have been negotiating with Ryan for a long time behind the scenes and it looks like he simply doesn't want to stay. What are we supposed to do with a player who doesn't want to stay?

We've lost the likes of Riordan and Murray in similar circumstances years back - this is hardly a unique issue under the current owner.

I would have preferred Ryan to stay but honestly don't think he deserves to be our top earner or anything like that. I'm happier for him to go than us to throw silly money on a player who is wildly inconsistent in a part of the pitch where that trait can be disastrous.

The Spaceman
27-11-2022, 08:49 AM
I'm certainly not a happy clapper and have voiced my concerns about the owner, manager and players plenty this year but I'm honestly not sure how anyone can have a go at Hibs here.

It's clear we have been negotiating with Ryan for a long time behind the scenes and it looks like he simply doesn't want to stay. What are we supposed to do with a player who doesn't want to stay?

We've lost the likes of Riordan and Murray in similar circumstances years back - this is hardly a unique issue under the current owner.

I would have preferred Ryan to stay but honestly don't think he deserves to be our top earner or anything like that. I'm happier for him to go than us to throw silly money on a player who is wildly inconsistent in a part of the pitch where that trait can be disastrous.

Spot on. We’ve lost far, far better players than Ryan Porteous for nothing. He doesn’t deserve to be our top earner and is too inconsistent/rash to reach the top level of the game. Both parties happily move on.

mcfly
27-11-2022, 08:52 AM
Sad thing is he a boyhood hibs fan.

Others players we have lost recently who had no connection with the club signed contracts so the club that helped develop them would get a transfer fee.

He chose not to do this so the club should move on. He should not play - will he give 10O%.

Big transfer window coming up for hibs - got to worry this bunch of players will get us relegated

GreenCastle
27-11-2022, 08:55 AM

It’s not black or white here - lots of grey. No one can be surprised with this outcome.

Hibs have offered a deal for a while and he has been keeping his options open.

He could easily have been away had Boyle not come back - now Boyle is injured and the team is under performing he’s probably thinking it’s a good time to move on.

Hibs poor form and crap recruitment has knock on effects.

If we were 3rd and pushing for Europe I’m not sure if he would leave.

Having watched Ryan when in development squad he is prone to errors and while he will probably move to a better paid club he still has a bit to go to improve further.

The issue Hibs have now is if he signs a pre-contract what do we do now till end of the season - or do we just sell in January and try find a replacement for him and Boyle - or is Fish that replacement hence why he started yesterday.

number9dream
27-11-2022, 09:25 AM

It’s unusual but it’s probably because the manager was shooting his mouth off about the situation after the game yesterday. The news is no big surprise but it’s not very professional from LJ, venting his frustration to the media.

Bostonhibby
27-11-2022, 09:29 AM

I would have preferred Ryan to stay but honestly don't think he deserves to be our top earner or anything like that. I'm happier for him to go than us to throw silly money on a player who is wildly inconsistent in a part of the pitch where that trait can be disastrous.Same here, I hoped we'd do a bit better out of any possible move than it looks like we will now but overall I wish the guy well personally, but maybe not his next employer.

If there's actual evidence the club dropped the ball again then I'll have a go but to be honest there's plenty other things wrong to worry about.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
27-11-2022, 09:33 AM
Sad thing is he a boyhood hibs fan.

Others players we have lost recently who had no connection with the club signed contracts so the club that helped develop them would get a transfer fee.

He chose not to do this so the club should move on. He should not play - will he give 10O%.

Big transfer window coming up for hibs - got to worry this bunch of players will get us relegated

Form can be questioned but not seen anything that suggests he won’t give 100%. Players let contracts run down all the time and know they need to perform to get the move they want. He’ll also be thinking about keeping his place in the Scotland squad.

JimBHibees
27-11-2022, 09:36 AM
Form can be questioned but not seen anything that suggests he won’t give 100%. Players let contracts run down all the time and know they need to perform to get the move they want. He’ll also be thinking about keeping his place in the Scotland squad.

I would let him play out his contract if we dont get a decent offer in Jan and if we cant get anyone better

WhileTheChief..
27-11-2022, 09:37 AM
Gutted. Will be a huge loss for us.

Can't blame him for wanting away.

GreenPJ
27-11-2022, 09:46 AM
I would let him play out his contract if we dont get a decent offer in Jan and if we cant get anyone better

Which is why Fish needs to be given a chance to see if he is an able replacement. For all of RP's shortcomings the reality is we are very unlikely to get anyone in better (certainly not in January, who is the finished article and/or is affordable) otherwise we should have been trying to do that in the summer window.

Smartie
27-11-2022, 09:58 AM
It’s unusual but it’s probably because the manager was shooting his mouth off about the situation after the game yesterday. The news is no big surprise but it’s not very professional from LJ, venting his frustration to the media.

I like LJ but my biggest criticism of him so far is the amount he talks.

It's probably endearing to be open and honest but sometimes you need to be a bit more guarded in the media.

He's talked himself into trouble a few times.

Greenio
27-11-2022, 10:06 AM
Wanted him to stay
Would have liked if went for cash

But by all accounts it's not like we didn't try to keep him, or get him to sign a deal and then go.

Given recent performances I'm not surprised this is being thrown on the 'clubs in free fall' pile...dont see it that way myself.

Good luck to him. Good footballer. Strong character. Had his faults of course as everyone does.

Right time for him to try somewhere new

sleeping giant
27-11-2022, 10:17 AM
Anyone got a link to LJ addressing this yesterday?

st3vie
27-11-2022, 10:24 AM

No way he said this to a 7 year old kid, crock of ****.

CallumLaidlaw
27-11-2022, 10:30 AM
Anyone got a link to LJ addressing this yesterday?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-look-to-cash-in-on-ryan-porteous-after-defender-tells-club-he-wont-sign-new-deal-3932726

GreenGray
27-11-2022, 10:31 AM

We could have offered him a contract years ago, it’s not hard to understand

sleeping giant
27-11-2022, 10:43 AM
No way he said this to a 7 year old kid, crock of ****.

Slaver :agree:

sleeping giant
27-11-2022, 10:45 AM
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-look-to-cash-in-on-ryan-porteous-after-defender-tells-club-he-wont-sign-new-deal-3932726

Cheers.

Greenio
27-11-2022, 10:52 AM

Interesting. First time I've seen LJ criticise the club

WeeRussell
27-11-2022, 10:58 AM
I usually defend the club over social media posts and statements etc but thought this one was pretty poor and comes across as bitter as some of the posts on here.

Pretty sad that it’s come to this and he’s likely leaving for nothing or very little, but it happens.

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2022, 10:58 AM
Why are we absolutely ***** then?

The majority of football teams are rubbish.

MWHIBBIES
27-11-2022, 11:00 AM
We could have offered him a contract years ago, it’s not hard to understand

You think we were renewing Newell, JDH, Cadden, Paul McGinn, Doidge, Lewis, Hanlon etc etc and didn't try for Porteous?

Brightside
27-11-2022, 11:04 AM
Interesting. First time I've seen LJ criticise the club

He won’t be here for long.

WestStandWillie
27-11-2022, 11:05 AM
Oh well.

Brightside
27-11-2022, 11:06 AM
I usually defend the club over social media posts and statements etc but thought this one was pretty poor and comes across as bitter as some of the posts on here.

Pretty sad that it’s come to this and he’s likely leaving for nothing or very little, but it happens.

Maybe he should have told the club he had no interest in staying months ago then.

Malonga's Cat
27-11-2022, 11:12 AM
The club really should have given him what he deserved and got him settled ages ago. The up and down performances and perceived attitude from Ryan is a result of the uncertainty. There's a good player and top asset we've not managed properly now walking away!

Since452
27-11-2022, 11:15 AM
The club really should have given him what he deserved and got him settled ages ago. The up and down performances and perceived attitude from Ryan is a result of the uncertainty. There's a good player and top asset we've not managed properly now walking away!

We don't know if that's the reason. Maybe he's just a very inconsistent player?

blackpoolhibs
27-11-2022, 11:17 AM
I spoke to a guy on holiday last month, who told me Celtic were interested.

Maybe true maybe not, but i can see him playing in that defence and being a standout.

We wont replace him with anywhere near as good a player as he is.:boo hoo:

Supporting Hibs these days is more of a chore than an enjoyment.:rolleyes:

B.H.F.C
27-11-2022, 11:30 AM
I spoke to a guy on holiday last month, who told me Celtic were interested.

Maybe true maybe not, but i can see him playing in that defence and being a standout.

We wont replace him with anywhere near as good a player as he is.:boo hoo:

Supporting Hibs these days is more of a chore than an enjoyment.:rolleyes:

I don’t think he’ll go there and don’t think he’d get a game if he did. He’s not going to replace Carter-Vickers and they’ve just signed another Japanese player, who is a centre half, on a 5 year deal. Plus they’ve still got 2 or 3 centre halves beyond that.

Alfred E Newman
27-11-2022, 11:45 AM
Which is why Fish needs to be given a chance to see if he is an able replacement. For all of RP's shortcomings the reality is we are very unlikely to get anyone in better (certainly not in January, who is the finished article and/or is affordable) otherwise we should have been trying to do that in the summer window.

Fish would only be a short term replacement till his loan is up. Building a team around loanees will never get us any long term success.

silverhibee
27-11-2022, 11:49 AM

The club wanted this reaction, he has been booted under the bus.

Brightside
27-11-2022, 11:55 AM

Or he could have said in the summer that he had no intention of staying.

HH81
27-11-2022, 12:03 PM

Maybe he did but the club kept trying to change his mind by offering more money.

Tricky one for all parties.

Zambernardi1875
27-11-2022, 12:07 PM

Maybe the dream sold by the owners and manager hasn’t become reality and now thinks the only way to progress is to move on

Col2
27-11-2022, 12:08 PM

I think it’s clear we have offered hism a great deal (from our perspective) and going by LJ comments re agent looking to move him on, RP was highly unlikely to sign a new deal with us especially as his stock is fairly high.

If we had said nothing then every week LJ would be asked about it and when we sell him in Jan (likely) the fans would be asking why we didnt push the boat out to extend him rather than cash in.

At least we are very clear on RP intentions now. I don’t blame him but I don’t blame the club for making position very clear.

Ozyhibby
27-11-2022, 12:10 PM
Can’t blame him really.

J-C
27-11-2022, 12:16 PM
Maybe he did but the club kept trying to change his mind by offering more money.

Tricky one for all parties.

That's when he should've put in a transfer request then but it maybe looks like there wasn't a great deal of interest in him in the summer, so he's decided to run down his contract.

A Hi-Bee
27-11-2022, 12:20 PM
If I have this correct, Hibs had him on a mickey mouse original contract for 5 years, from when he signed along with Fraser Murray, and now the big fella says **** you Hibs you are way to late, he is the one in the wrong. FFS what is wrong wi some of our support.
Good luck to Porto, just hope he dont go west. As for transfers I said on day one when young Doig was transferred that he would be the one to bring in the largest ever fee to Hibs, another one that was slagged off at times by some of the experts on here.

:flag::flag::flag:

Lago
27-11-2022, 12:26 PM
Maybe the dream sold by the owners and manager hasn’t become reality and now thinks the only way to progress is to move on
Or having become involved in the Scotland squad, he's had his head turned by talk of all the big money he could earn down South.

bod
27-11-2022, 12:34 PM
He doesn’t need Scotland team mates telling him how much he could earn down south, everyone know that including his agent who’ll know potential buyers

Hibbyradge
27-11-2022, 12:35 PM
Maybe he should have told the club he had no interest in staying months ago then.

Exactly this.

Instead, he kept everyone on tenterhooks for months saying that he'd make his decision after the WC.

Hibs have made him a huge offer, as much as they can afford, but he's always had his eyes on higher wages elsewhere.

He's perfectly entitled to do that, but still the club is getting criticised.

B.H.F.C
27-11-2022, 12:42 PM
Exactly this.

Instead, he kept everyone on tenterhooks for months saying that he'd make his decision after the WC.

Hibs have made him a huge offer, as much as they can afford, but he's always had his eyes on higher wages elsewhere.

He's perfectly entitled to do that, but still the club is getting criticised.

Maybe folk, including the manager, just think we’re far too late in getting the offer on the table, hence the position we now find ourselves in?

sadtom
27-11-2022, 01:08 PM

Utter drivel. Sorry but if you can’t see that he is clearly the best we have then I wouldn’t trust your opinion on anything related to fitba.
RP will be a Scotland regular for the next decade.

Brightside
27-11-2022, 01:14 PM
Maybe folk, including the manager, just think we’re far too late in getting the offer on the table, hence the position we now find ourselves in?

He’s had plenty offers from Hibs.

Brightside
27-11-2022, 01:15 PM
Utter drivel. Sorry but if you can’t see that he is clearly the best we have then I wouldn’t trust your opinion on anything related to fitba.

I don’t think he will tbh.

Hibbyradge
27-11-2022, 01:19 PM

It was Ryan who deferred contract talks and I don't know why an earlier offer would have changed anything anyway.

We're never going to know exactly what happened but someone made the good point that we're bound to have tried to extend Ryan's contract when we were extending several other players' deals.

It seems to me that it would be easy enough for him to sign the new deal with a guarantee of a move when a suitable offer was received, even if it was in the summer. Of course, if Hibs received a realistic fee for him, it would reduce the signing on fee from the new club.

He's basically put in a transfer request without the usual negative consequences and I don't think it's the club's fault.

It's just very disappointing.

SickBoy32
27-11-2022, 01:23 PM
If I have this correct, Hibs had him on a mickey mouse original contract for 5 years, from when he signed along with Fraser Murray, and now the big fella says **** you Hibs you are way to late, he is the one in the wrong. FFS what is wrong wi some of our support.

:flag::flag::flag:

Spot on, horrible mismanagement (becoming a recurring theme the last wee while) has led us here - releasing a statement is also unprecedented for us for something like this

More than a few absolutely frightening opinions on this thread, folk really need to wake up and smell the coffee before the current leadership takes us to the championship

It is reported BK is responsible for overseeing contracts, this compounding the Bushiri mess in the summer should see him (along with IG) to the departure lounge at the airport

This squad, minus Boyle and Porto, is as bad as we’ve had since butcher

Donegal Hibby
27-11-2022, 01:24 PM
He is by far our best centre half though for weeks he's been one of our poorest

Smartie
27-11-2022, 01:29 PM
I don’t think he will tbh.

I think he will.

Porteous has always been capable of screwing the nut when he needs to / wants to. He's just never really needed to or wanted to at Hibs.

A bigger wage, a club that matches his opinion of himself and a bit of pressure meaning that he's out the team when he puts in the type of performance he often does for Hibs and you'll see a different player.

He'd never reach that standard if he stayed with us.

I'd have liked to see Hibs get some money for him but I don't think he's anything like the loss that many folk think he is.

Stokesy's on fire
27-11-2022, 01:44 PM
Losing a player like Porteous is bad news not just as a player but his personality will be a huge loss to the team. The only way to solve this loss is to sign a player ready to compete with a proven track record in the required position. I assume Porto will play his last game at Tynecastle.

chippy
27-11-2022, 01:52 PM
Maybe Porto doesn’t rate the manager/ owner/ recruitment team? If anyone knows them , he should.

Allant1981
27-11-2022, 01:53 PM
Maybe Porto doesn’t rate the manager/ owner/ recruitment team? If anyone knows them , he should.

Or he just fancies a change of scenery with more money

Stubbsy90+2
27-11-2022, 02:04 PM

Really can’t see Porteous ever becoming a Scotland regular.

sean
27-11-2022, 02:24 PM

For me a player that is ready to really leave Hibs should be looking to be consistently our best player and most of the time the best player on the pitch consistently. To me, he is no where near that. Lots of good attributes in his game but you’d think after 150 matches he’d have delivered better performances year on year.

Totally within his rights not to sign a new deal and best of luck to him for the future. Irreparable absolutely not.

Stubbsy90+2
27-11-2022, 02:31 PM

By all accounts the club have offered to make him the joint top earner. That’s way more than he deserves imo.

Onion
27-11-2022, 02:44 PM
By all accounts the club have offered to make him the joint top earner. That’s way more than he deserves imo.

With a view to selling him for decent money a few months down the line. Makes complete sense.

He's one of the few players at Hibs who's worth a transfer fee at the moment.

Just Alf
27-11-2022, 02:51 PM
With a view to selling him for decent money a few months down the line. Makes complete sense.

He's one of the few players at Hibs who's worth a transfer fee at the moment.Totally agree, that's how I'd thought it would happen.

Feel he needs to go somewhere new, disappointed we're not getting anything out of it

Since90+2
27-11-2022, 02:51 PM

What "accounts" would they be exactly?

ManchesterGreen
27-11-2022, 03:04 PM
The club and not for the first time have made a complete mess of this situation. Since his last deal in 2018 , god knows how much money has been wasted on managers being payed off ,new signings ,old players being payed off and contract extensions to some of the dross That’s on our books.

Porteous should’ve had this offer on the table at least 2 years ago as LJ said yesterday.

A disaster for the club on so many levels.

Since452
27-11-2022, 03:08 PM

If he's the best we have it's little wonder we aren't very good.

Stubbsy90+2
27-11-2022, 03:23 PM

He's one of the few players at Hibs who's worth a transfer fee at the moment.

Nobody has ever wanted to pay a significant fee for Porteous. Imo he’s done nothing to change that the last 2 seasons, if anything he’ll have only reinforced that view for teams.

Hibees1973
27-11-2022, 03:26 PM
So, the only Hibs player currently in the Scotland squad is going to leave for nowt.

Yet another aberration on the part of our recruitment department headed by Ron's son. Even Johnson commented that Porteous has been underpaid for years. Should have had him tied up on a 4 or 5 year contract a couple of years ago and we would have got a substantial fee for him. Instead, Ron's son signs sh*te and hands out four year deals to the likes of Doyle-Hayes, Henderson, Tavares & McKirdy.

It really defies belief what is going on at Hibs with these absolute clowns in charge.

Steve Clarke, whom I judge as an excellent manager, sees Porteous as international quality. Boyle, Nisbet (still to prove his fitness) and Marshall (now retired from international football) are all we have that can play at this level.

Good luck to Porteous. He will improve once he leaves us. Porteous will have seen a revolving door or managers and players since the Gordon's took charge and on the park it has got progressively worse. No wonder he wants to leave

Dire and disgraceful state of affairs at Hibs. I will be a happy man when the Gordons p*ss off.

Baldy Foghorn
27-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Suddenly Porto has become a poor player now? We got it wrong, should have had contract negotiated well before his last year. Gutted to be losing him, wish he'd signed to get us more money, however, he hasn't. Will be a huge loss to us, no doubt about that. Good luck to him.

JohnM1875
27-11-2022, 04:21 PM
Don't know why but I'm not overly fussed about it. Probably his form over the past wee while.

No question there's a player in there but if he doesn't want to be here then we should be trying our best to sell in January.

GreenGray
27-11-2022, 04:31 PM
You think we were renewing Newell, JDH, Cadden, Paul McGinn, Doidge, Lewis, Hanlon etc etc and didn't try for Porteous?

Clearly didn’t try hard enough. A few years ago he wasn’t the player he is now, shouldn’t have been difficult to tie him down

ManchesterGreen
27-11-2022, 04:39 PM

With the exception of Cadden, it’s Incredible to think we even handed out deals to the dross on that list and left Porteous out. Utterly embarrassing.

sleeping giant
27-11-2022, 04:44 PM
With the exception of Cadden, it’s Incredible to think we even handed out deals to the dross on that list and left Porteous out. Utterly embarrassing.

How did we leave hum out ?

HoboHarry
27-11-2022, 04:54 PM
Player in deciding to move elsewhere to earn multiple times as much money shock. Imagine that. Good luck with your next club Ryan.

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2022, 04:55 PM
So, the only Hibs player currently in the Scotland squad is going to leave for nowt.

Yet another aberration on the part of our recruitment department headed by Ron's son. Even Johnson commented that Porteous has been underpaid for years. Should have had him tied up on a 4 or 5 year contract a couple of years ago and we would have got a substantial fee for him. Instead, Ron's son signs sh*te and hands out four year deals to the likes of Doyle-Hayes, Henderson, Tavares & McKirdy.

It really defies belief what is going on at Hibs with these absolute clowns in charge.

Steve Clarke, whom I judge as an excellent manager, sees Porteous as international quality. Boyle, Nisbet (still to prove his fitness) and Marshall (now retired from international football) are all we have that can play at this level.

Good luck to Porteous. He will improve once he leaves us. Porteous will have seen a revolving door or managers and players since the Gordon's took charge and on the park it has got progressively worse. No wonder he wants to leave

Dire and disgraceful state of affairs at Hibs. I will be a happy man when the Gordons p*ss off.

Is it the job of the recruitment department to negotiate contracts for existing players?

ManchesterGreen
27-11-2022, 04:56 PM
How did we leave hum out ?

I meant that Cadden is the only decent one out of them.

Billy Whizz
27-11-2022, 04:57 PM
Is it the job of the recruitment department to negotiate contracts for existing players?

It’s currently the role of the CEO

truehibernian
27-11-2022, 04:59 PM
If Porteous, Doig and John McGinn move in January thst could be a sizeable sum to rebuild.

Dr What If?
27-11-2022, 05:07 PM
If Porteous, Doig and John McGinn move in January thst could be a sizeable sum to rebuild.
What is the Doig sell on percentage, seems to be legs in this rumour going by the press?

Hibees1973
27-11-2022, 05:34 PM

Rebuild by whom, the guys in charge of recruitment at present.

The Gordons and the people they have appointed are destroying all footballing aspects at Hibs. They do not have a clue.

Mcbizz1998
27-11-2022, 05:40 PM
If he goes to the Huns it will be a sore one to take.

If he goes to them he is quite simply not the hibs fan he made himself out to be and won’t be forgiven for it.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think he will go there and I don’t think they will want him.

JohnM1875
27-11-2022, 05:42 PM
If he goes to them he is quite simply not the hibs fan he made himself out to be and won’t be forgiven for it.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think he will go there and I don’t think they will want him.

Agree.

Don't think he'll end up at either of the uglies though, definitely can't see Celtic wanting him.

CentreLine
27-11-2022, 05:47 PM

Pretty sure they’ll want him but just can’t see him going there. Good luck to him. Of course disappointing that he seems to have ensured Hibs get no benefit from his moving on but that’s post Bosman contracts for you and hard to be critical when the money sloshing about elsewhere is obscene. He certainly has the potential to be part of that.

Iain G
27-11-2022, 06:00 PM

If it suits your stance it seems that they do! Would have thought our CEO and the board would be in charge of that?

Iain G
27-11-2022, 06:04 PM
Rebuild by whom, the guys in charge of recruitment at present.

The Gordons and the people they have appointed are destroying all footballing aspects at Hibs. They do not have a clue.

Maybe in your angry little world perhaps 🤷

B.H.F.C
27-11-2022, 06:15 PM
Maybe in your angry little world perhaps 🤷

To be fair, it’s pretty hard to argue that Ron, and the people he’s appointed, are running a competent football club at the moment.

Stubbsy90+2
27-11-2022, 06:24 PM
To be fair, it’s pretty hard to argue that Ron, and the people he’s appointed, are running a competent football club at the moment.

It’s impossible to argue that they’re competently running the football side of the football club.

Iain G
27-11-2022, 06:39 PM
It’s impossible to argue that they’re competently running the football side of the football club.

I think they are doing a reasonable job 😁

Stubbsy90+2
27-11-2022, 06:40 PM
I think they are 😁

I’d love to see you argue why that’s the case.

Iain G
27-11-2022, 06:41 PM
I’d love to see you argue why that’s the case.

Maybe am just easily pleased or not as angsty a fan as some 🤣

But you know what, am still excited to see where this journey under Lee and the club can take us, there are good foundations going down and I hope the next few windows will properly strengthen and develop our playing style.

B.H.F.C
27-11-2022, 06:46 PM

But you know what, am still excited to see where this journey under Lee and the club can take us, there are good foundations going down and I hope the next few windows will properly strengthen and develop our playing style.

Genuine question this, but on the pitch what are the good foundations? And what have you seen in the last two or three windows that make you think we’ll properly strengthen in upcoming windows?

Stubbsy90+2
27-11-2022, 06:49 PM
Genuine question this, but on the pitch what are the good foundations? And what have you seen in the last two or three windows that make you think we’ll properly strengthen in upcoming windows?

This is what I’m thinking.

We are massively short of quality on the pitch. We’re fast approaching a point where we have absolutely zero players with any significant sell on value - Nisbet is the last one and if he’s not sold in the summer then his value is gone. On top of that, so many of the players who currently have no sell on value have long term contracts. We finished 8th last season and look likely to finish bottom 6 again.

On the football side of things we are being ran absolutely appalingly and I certainly can’t see good foundations being laid.

Jones28
27-11-2022, 06:53 PM

Same here. It’s been a ***** month or so for us, and losing Boyle is really **** too. But we have seen some of what this team could do, and I’ve got faith that we will have learned a lesson in the summer and that we are screaming out for some proven quality. Once we get that proven quality in and if Nisbet can kick on then let’s wait and see.

If on the 31st of January we have signed nobody who is coming in as a first team player then I will be very disappointed. But Johnson is not stupid and he will know what we need.

Silky
27-11-2022, 06:54 PM

The way he's been playing recently, I wouldn't be surprised if the manager didn't rate him.

Smartie
27-11-2022, 06:57 PM
Maybe am just easily pleased or not as angsty a fan as some ��

I sort of see what you mean.

A few weeks ago I was pretty happy. Since then we’ve had some abject performances and results that have made the whole picture look bleaker.

In the defence of “the regime” we’ve had minging luck with injuries. We’ve also signed a raft of players who may not be making an impact right now but who might come good over the next few seasons.

I quite like Johnson’s style of play and the attacking, unpredictable nature of it.

So much in the minus column right now though it is very hard to make any sort of argument that the football department is being run well, and it’s hard to find optimism that it’s going to get better and not worse from here.

I’m engaged though, I’d say that, and in the past I’ve been at risk of drifting towards ambivalence.

FWIW I don’t think the current regime can be blamed for the Porto situation.

B.H.F.C
27-11-2022, 06:57 PM
Same here. It’s been a ***** month or so for us, and losing Boyle is really **** too. But we have seen some of what this team could do, and I’ve got faith that we will have learned a lesson in the summer and that we are screaming out for some proven quality. Once we get that proven quality in and if Nisbet can kick on then let’s wait and see.

If on the 31st of January we have signed nobody who is coming in as a first team player then I will be very disappointed. But Johnson is not stupid and he will know what we need.

We had two diabolical windows last season but repeated most of the same things in the summer. I don’t think our approach to transfers will change whilst the same people are in place (not including the manager).

Iain G
27-11-2022, 07:06 PM

We have played very well in a number of games, creating a lot of chances with a squad that's only a fraction of what Lee would want I would say. The quick and direct attacking play seen in glimpses, the high ball winning, the improvement in goalkeeper and the clear improvement in Rocky and Campbell and others due to the coaching.

Youan and other will settle and come good.

It's an evolution and I can see the seeds of where we are hoping to get to.

B.H.F.C
27-11-2022, 07:12 PM
We have played very well in a number of games, creating a lot of chances with a squad that's only a fraction of what Lee would want I would say. The quick and direct attacking play seen in glimpses, the high ball winning, the improvement in goalkeeper and the clear improvement in Rocky and Campbell and others due to the coaching.

Youan and other will settle and come good.

It's an evolution and I can see the seeds of where we are hoping to get to.

I wish I shared your optimism.

Rocky and Campbell I will concede have improved this season but they are still miles short of the quality required to challenge where we want to be challenging IMO. There is nothing to suggest Youan will settle other than blind optimism. He actually started relatively brightly but has got progressively worse. We’re just coming up for the half way point in the season, we’re beyond the waiting for players to settle stage for me.

What concerns me is that there were clear signs of what we were trying to do early in the season but the turning point, IMO, was Parkhead. Since then we’ve stopped doing a lot of the things that we were doing in the earlier games.

basehibby
27-11-2022, 07:13 PM
Disappointed but wish Porto all the best. He's been a marked man in Scotland for the last couple of years between gutter press and referees. Hope he gets a good move in Jan and Hibs get some kind of fee to reinvest

mcfly
27-11-2022, 07:37 PM
It’s currently the role of the CEO

CEO…..

He’s presiding over this shambles….

Clubs in free fall just now with a group of players that aren’t good enough.

loanheadhibby
27-11-2022, 08:16 PM

You have to be joking.
Don't get me wrong I'd like him to do well when he leaves us especially if he goes down south.
In my opinion he hasn't really kicked on the last 2-3 seasons and he's got to take most of the blame for that.
Not convinced he will be a Scotland regular.

Iain G
27-11-2022, 08:33 PM
CEO…..

He’s presiding over this shambles….

Clubs in free fall just now with a group of players that aren’t good enough.

It's not in free fall!

bigwheel
27-11-2022, 08:43 PM
You have to be joking.
Don't get me wrong I'd like him to do well when he leaves us especially if he goes down south.
In my opinion he hasn't really kicked on the last 2-3 seasons and he's got to take most of the blame for that.
Not convinced he will be a Scotland regular.

He’s become a first team regular in the last three seasons ..he’s been capped for Scotland. Subject to seven figure transfer bid ..of course he’s kicked on He’s a completely different player now

I'm Spartacus
28-11-2022, 07:53 AM
Pre-game last night the debate was over the club announcement "Was it the right thing to do?" the example came up of Der Huns announcing they'd signed Souttar before anyone knew anything, that went down a disaster.

I'm glad the club took control and will hopefully flush him out very early in January, get a small fee and we can plan so much better.

Now, "To boo or not to boo, that is the question?" :)

Steve20
28-11-2022, 08:09 AM
It's not in free fall!

It is. We're going backwards. The squad gets worse with every window.

This group of players are average at best.

As for Porteous, he's got potential but he's not kicked on this season. In fact, he's been poor this season.