PDA

View Full Version : Neymar

CentreLine
25-11-2022, 05:45 AM
No we’re not going to sign him.

Reminiscent of how Pele was treated in the 66 World Cup, simply kicked off the park. What I don’t get is why refereeing has not moved on and how the beautiful game is morphing in to American Football.
Why do referees let thuggery go until someone is seriously injured?
There was me thinking it was only our referees here that did that.

Referees should be stamping on foul play rather than selling the hammer throwers to stamp on ball players.

HibeeHibernia
25-11-2022, 05:58 AM
Football is literally a non-contact sport these days mate neymar is the biggest cheat in the game lol

MWHIBBIES
25-11-2022, 06:01 AM
He takes some bad tackles for sure. Don't really think there is a whole lot a ref can do. It's not like he's getting 2 footed.

hibsbollah
25-11-2022, 06:20 AM

Reminiscent of how Pele was treated in the 66 World Cup, simply kicked off the park. What I don’t get is why refereeing has not moved on and how the beautiful game is morphing in to American Football.

Referees should be stamping on foul play rather than selling the hammer throwers to stamp on ball players.

A lot to unpick in that post. I basically agree with the points you’re making. Watching the game last night it was almost inevitable he was going to get injured eventually, he was fouled 9 times, most of them diving tackles around the ankles. Neymar is far from my favourite player but I felt sorry for him last night. I watch ligue 1 a lot and those tackles are more heavily penalised so he’s better protected at PSG than he was last night. And we also have a particular problem in our game in Scotland where refs are just more lenient than in the other European leagues, you have a culture where players just aren’t as well protected. (Well, only a problem if you like an attacking style of football).

I’m noticing a lot more of these fouls where a player comes in after the ball just barely touching the players’ standing ankle with his studs, so it doesn’t always look that bad and the red sometimes misses it, but it’s still going to cause injury.

It’s funny you brought American football into it. The NFL regularly makes rule changes to their sport to apparently make it less dangerous, as more and more ex players are suffering brain injury in later life. The nfls lawyers were advising that the league could be litigated out of existence, that’s a result of the extreme litigious culture over there, and the league had to protect itself as a result. I’d want to avoid soccerball of going down that road, because the NFL has become a different, faster less physical sportin the last 20 years. You don’t see the same hits as you did in the 80s and 90s that was the draw for so many of us who liked that sport, it’s now a sport for sprinters and physical freaks. And I still want fitba to have a physical element, so it’s a balance.

Interesting discussion, especially when Neymar is the subject! You’d probably get more agreeing with you if you used Martin Boyle as an example!

Not In The Know
25-11-2022, 06:42 AM
A lot to unpick in that post. I basically agree with the points you’re making. Watching the game last night it was almost inevitable he was going to get injured eventually, he was fouled 9 times, most of them diving tackles around the ankles. Neymar is far from my favourite player but I felt sorry for him last night. I watch ligue 1 a lot and those tackles are more heavily penalised so he’s better protected at PSG than he was last night. And we also have a particular problem in our game in Scotland where refs are just more lenient than in the other European leagues, you have a culture where players just aren’t as well protected. (Well, only a problem if you like an attacking style of football).

I’m noticing a lot more of these fouls where a player comes in after the ball just barely touching the players’ standing ankle with his studs, so it doesn’t always look that bad and the red sometimes misses it, but it’s still going to cause injury.

It’s funny you brought American football into it. The NFL regularly makes rule changes to their sport to apparently make it less dangerous, as more and more ex players are suffering brain injury in later life. The nfls lawyers were advising that the league could be litigated out of existence, that’s a result of the extreme litigious culture over there, and the league had to protect itself as a result. I’d want to avoid soccerball of going down that road, because the NFL has become a different, faster less physical sportin the last 20 years. You don’t see the same hits as you did in the 80s and 90s that was the draw for so many of us who liked that sport, it’s now a sport for sprinters and physical freaks. And I still want fitba to have a physical element, so it’s a balance.

Interesting discussion, especially when Neymar is the subject! You’d probably get more agreeing with you if you used Martin Boyle as an example!

The boy is the stereotypical modern day bumhole footballer. Compounded by the fact he had voiced his support for Brazil's far-right president Jair Bolsonaro multiple times this month before the recent election.

25-11-2022, 07:20 AM
The boy is the stereotypical modern day bumhole footballer. Compounded by the fact he had voiced his support for Brazil's far-right president Jair Bolsonaro multiple times this month before the recent election.

Surprised Martin Boyle is interested in Brazilian politics. 🤔 😀

Since452
25-11-2022, 08:32 AM
No doubting his quality but he's very unlikeable.

J-C
25-11-2022, 08:37 AM
Falls at the drop of a hat, there was one yesterday with minimum contact and he did a triple roll, surprisingly up in a few seconds with nowt wrong with him. Too many players like nowadays.

CMac1988
25-11-2022, 10:01 AM
Fantastic footballer soured by the fact he's spent his career feigning injury and rolling around at the slightest touch. It's why some referees no longer give him the benefit of the doubt and legitimate claims for fouls go amiss.As for refs at the world cup some have been whistle and card happy at times whilst others have let far too much go. See the Wales game this morning where Iran should be in two to three yellows and haven't been booked. A really late challenge on Williams wasn't even given as a foul. Wiped out the player nowhere near the ball. Neymar is his own worst enemy. **** him.

Diclonius
25-11-2022, 10:03 AM
The boy who cried wolf. And voted for Bolsonaro.

Shame.

CentreLine
25-11-2022, 10:06 AM

Glad you see my point and I am no fan of Neymar. But there is no denying he is a very skilful player and the principal player in an already talented side. I find it a problem for the game as a whole that we still see kicking the football players off the park is acceptable and goes unpunished by referees.

The press would have us believe Neymar may well be out for the rest of the tournament but we could just as easily point at our own league and see the treatment dishes out to Martin Boyle and others. The long term injury to Nisbet looked eminently avoidable but the referee allowed some serious fouls by Celtic players to go unpunished that day. Add to that the constant obstruction, holding and grappling and we are truly turning the game in to American Football.

Whatever happened to the beautiful game?

Betty Boop
25-11-2022, 10:12 AM
He's simply brilliant.

Tambo
25-11-2022, 10:39 AM
He's no Mohammed Kudus who claims to be a better player.

JohnM1875
25-11-2022, 10:43 AM
He’s a phenomenal player. An absolute joy to watch when he’s on it. Had the pleasure to see Messi, Suarez and Neymar when I was over in Barcelona and Neymar was by a mile the best player on the pitch that day (not saying he’s better than Messi overall, obviously!)

He does add in a few rolls etc now and again but I don’t doubt for a second he’s actually in pain seeing as he gets kicked the **** out of most games.

Said so in another thread the other day but the Netflix documentary on him is well worth a watch. You’ll see he’s just a good down to earth guy who loves playing football. His Dad on the other hand, is a total weapon.

hibsbollah
25-11-2022, 02:42 PM
Out for at least the rest of the group games with ligament damage.

WeeRussell
25-11-2022, 04:05 PM

That’s a real shame. One of the very best players at the tournament, and indeed in the world.

I hope he’s back fit and sharp for the knockout stages.

Wonder if Shearer is dreaming up scenarios where Neymar has himself to blame for getting injured because of his lifestyle again, seeing as the clown can’t concede that he’s just a class player.

gbhibby
25-11-2022, 05:47 PM

Nowhere near the punishment Pele got in 1966.
Neymar does tend to roll about etc. Unfortunately he is out for the rest of the group games but Brazil looked a much better side when he went off so may not have started the next game in the group.

WeeRussell
25-11-2022, 07:13 PM
Nowhere near the punishment Pele got in 1966.
Neymar does tend to roll about etc. Unfortunately he is out for the rest of the group games but Brazil looked a much better side when he went off so may not have started the next game in the group.

If he’d been fit I have no doubt he’d start every game.

gbhibby
25-11-2022, 08:29 PM
If he’d been fit I have no doubt he’d start every game.
He is a bit like Harry Kane gets to play all games but sometimes teams channel everything through these players but are a better team without these players as the team have a much better shape.

Silky
25-11-2022, 08:33 PM

Canny get ligament damage from diving and rolling about.

JohnM1875
25-11-2022, 08:38 PM
Canny get ligament damage from diving and rolling about.

Exactly

https://twitter.com/tezilyas/status/1596156910163853312

Silky
25-11-2022, 09:01 PM
Exactly

https://twitter.com/tezilyas/status/1596156910163853312

Some Olympic golds in there!

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2022, 04:43 AM
He is a bit like Harry Kane gets to play all games but sometimes teams channel everything through these players but are a better team without these players as the team have a much better shape.

Neymar is far and away Brazils best player. They are worse without him. They looked better because Serbia stuck a 2nd striker on and went for it.

CentreLine
26-11-2022, 08:36 AM
Some Olympic golds in there!

I particularly like the one where he pulls his own shirt so much it comes off over his own head. Every player should perfect that one 🙄

Some nasty fouls in there that went unpunished. Happens in our game every week and is destroying it

Silky
26-11-2022, 04:38 PM
I particularly like the one where he pulls his own shirt so much it comes off over his own head. Every player should perfect that one 🙄

Some nasty fouls in there that went unpunished. Happens in our game every week and is destroying it

Naymar is a cheat. He rolls about, conning refs and feigning injury. I have zero time for him. Cried wolf too many times imo.

whiskyhibby
26-11-2022, 06:01 PM
Football is literally a non-contact sport these days mate neymar is the biggest cheat in the game lol

Neymar is all thats wrong with football these days, undoubted talent but spends most of his time rolling about looking for fouls, maybe he just isn’t up to the Neymar of old, to be honest I think Brazil are better without him

CentreLine
26-11-2022, 10:18 PM
Naymar is a cheat. He rolls about, conning refs and feigning injury. I have zero time for him. Cried wolf too many times imo.

Not going to argue with that. Said already I’m not a fan. The thread is about the way the game is descending in to a form of American football and good players get kicked off the park.
Martin Boyle is oft quoted as the most fouled player in Scotland’s top flight, there is a reason for that. But he also cheats, as does every player these days, just some do it more than others. I’m no fan of that either but it doesn’t put people out of the game.
My issue is with the thuggery we see go unpunished and that leads to players being seriously injured.

Eyrie
27-11-2022, 09:28 AM
Not going to argue with that. Said already I’m not a fan. The thread is about the way the game is descending in to a form of American football and good players get kicked off the park.
Martin Boyle is oft quoted as the most fouled player in Scotland’s top flight, there is a reason for that. But he also cheats, as does every player these days, just some do it more than others. I’m no fan of that either but it doesn’t put people out of the game.
My issue is with the thuggery we see go unpunished and that leads to players being seriously injured.

If the game was "descending" into American football or rugby then there would be proper physical contact and the tackled player would simply get back up. Instead it's descending into a non-contact sport because the slightest touch, real or imagined, is the cue for a player to writhe in agony in a pathetic bid to gain an advantage.

Physical challenges have always been part of football so if there was less play acting then good referees would be able to crack down on the thuggery that no-one wants to see.

CentreLine
27-11-2022, 10:55 AM
If the game was "descending" into American football or rugby then there would be proper physical contact and the tackled player would simply get back up. Instead it's descending into a non-contact sport because the slightest touch, real or imagined, is the cue for a player to writhe in agony in a pathetic bid to gain an advantage.

Physical challenges have always been part of football so if there was less play acting then good referees would be able to crack down on the thuggery that no-one wants to see.

I would understand that point of view if talented football players were not resigned to spending long periods out with injury. These things generally do not happen with slight contact.
The grappling, hugging, scratching, feigning injury, time wasting, assaults ans kicking, that goes on is depressing. Football is supposed to be an entertainment and that is being strangled out of the game by the officials letting so many fouls go unpunished. Players would soon get the message if games were refereed properly.

Eyrie
27-11-2022, 02:55 PM
I would understand that point of view if talented football players were not resigned to spending long periods out with injury. These things generally do not happen with slight contact.
The grappling, hugging, scratching, feigning injury, time wasting, assaults ans kicking, that goes on is depressing. Football is supposed to be an entertainment and that is being strangled out of the game by the officials letting so many fouls go unpunished. Players would soon get the message if games were refereed properly.

We both want the dangerous fouls out of the game.

But it would be much easier to do that if players weren't trying to con referees that any contact, slight or even imagined, was a life threatening assault. Watch any game and you'll see players feigning injury for less contact than you had getting to your seat.

CentreLine
27-11-2022, 05:31 PM
We both want the dangerous fouls out of the game.

But it would be much easier to do that if players weren't trying to con referees that any contact, slight or even imagined, was a life threatening assault. Watch any game and you'll see players feigning injury for less contact than you had getting to your seat.

I think we are in agreement, no argument from me, I hope my posts on this thread have made those very points.