PDA

View Full Version : UK/Ireland Euro 2028 bid

Diclonius
16-11-2022, 12:41 PM
Shortlist of stadiums drawn up. Scotland and Wales have one each. Ireland has three. England has nine, three of which are in London.

green day
16-11-2022, 12:52 PM
3 in Ireland and only Hampden here is utterly ridiculous.

Diclonius
16-11-2022, 12:59 PM

It'll be reduced to 10. Imagine the other four countries will have their token stadium and England will get the remaining six.

Stairway 2 7
16-11-2022, 01:00 PM
Aviva Stadium, Croke Park (both Dublin), Casement Park (Belfast), Villa Park (Birmingham), Everton Stadium (Liverpool), London Stadium, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, Wembley Stadium (all London), City of Manchester Stadium, Old Trafford (both Manchester), St James' Park (Newcastle), Stadium of Light (Sunderland), Hampden Park (Glasgow), Principality Stadium (Cardiff).

Stairway 2 7
16-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Gutter murrayfield not chosen so would have to travel. Will be as said above, four countries getting 1 stadium, England 6

EGL2000
16-11-2022, 01:13 PM
Surely Celtic park or even murrayfield should feature. Pretty much just an English host job. Would like to be bet that nothing past round of 16 would take place outside on England either.

gbhibby
16-11-2022, 01:18 PM
Should have chosen a stadium in Scotland with fans nearer to the pitch. Surprised that Old Trafford is on there given the stuff you see online about the poor condition of the stadium not only from other fans but Man Utd fans as well.

Stairway 2 7
16-11-2022, 01:28 PM
Should have chosen a stadium in Scotland with fans nearer to the pitch. Surprised that Old Trafford is on there given the stuff you see online about the poor condition of the stadium not only from other fans but Man Utd fans as well.

Will only be 1 Manchester stadium, although I'm not sure which

MelbourneHibees
16-11-2022, 01:30 PM
Stadium of light over Celtic/ Rangers or Murrayfield is a joke.

Stairway 2 7
16-11-2022, 01:42 PM
Stadium of light over Celtic/ Rangers or Murrayfield is a joke.

Doubt it'll be picked, will be one in the NE, one in Manchester and one in Dublin I'd think

Diclonius
16-11-2022, 02:21 PM
Will we finally be redeveloping Hampden for this?

green day
16-11-2022, 02:24 PM

I doubt it, the SFA dont have the money - when there was a chance to move the Nat Stadium they were bailed out by that rich Celtic fan that owns Queens Park as well, name escapes me.

Stairway 2 7
16-11-2022, 02:25 PM

I think behind both goals and taking away the gap is proposed for it

Hibbyradge
16-11-2022, 02:25 PM

:faf: :faf:

Oh, sorry, I just realised you were being serious. :wink:

JimBHibees
16-11-2022, 02:57 PM
I doubt it, the SFA dont have the money - when there was a chance to move the Nat Stadium they were bailed out by that rich Celtic fan that owns Queens Park as well, name escapes me.

Willie Haughey

Ridiculous that Murrayfield wouldnt be part of it given the excellent stadium and also transport links in a beautiful city. No doubt sfa scuppered any attempt as it would massively show up how inadequate hampden is on so many levels

Keith_M
16-11-2022, 05:12 PM
Are they planning to build a new stadium in Northern Ireland?

AFAIK, Windsor Park's capacity is less than 20k, so I'd imagine it wouldn't currently qualify.

MWHIBBIES
16-11-2022, 05:26 PM

It hosted Euro games 18 months ago. No way they'll do anything unless they need to.

bod
16-11-2022, 06:14 PM

No in my lifetime it won’t

vercol36
16-11-2022, 06:47 PM

Only having one in Scotland is certainly ridiculous, but including Croker and the Aviva is the right move. Both better than any stadium in Scotland unfortunately.

.Sean.
16-11-2022, 06:49 PM
Only having one in Scotland is certainly ridiculous, but including Croker and the Aviva is the right move. Both better than any stadium in Scotland unfortunately.
I thought the owners of Croke Park were snooty about hosting football?

Stairway 2 7
16-11-2022, 06:59 PM
I thought the owners of Croke Park were snooty about hosting football?

They are until they aren't ha.

Croke is crap for football length is 145m compared to say Hampden 105, means 20 metres of grass behind each goal.

Donegal Hibby
16-11-2022, 07:58 PM
Are they planning to build a new stadium in Northern Ireland?

AFAIK, Windsor Park's capacity is less than 20k, so I'd imagine it wouldn't currently qualify.
I don't think it will be Windsor park , think it will be Casement park

JimBHibees
16-11-2022, 08:16 PM

Aviva certainly not better than Murrayfield Ibrox or Celtic park imo

vercol36
16-11-2022, 08:32 PM
Aviva certainly not better than Murrayfield Ibrox or Celtic park imo

Jings, I visited for the first time a few months ago and was blown away. It’s beautiful for a start, is constructed to keep all the noise in and doesn’t have a poor view in the house!

JimBHibees
16-11-2022, 08:57 PM
Jings, I visited for the first time a few months ago and was blown away. It’s beautiful for a start, is constructed to keep all the noise in and doesn’t have a poor view in the house!

Fair enough never been just think the behind the goal bit looks a bit ridiculous

JimBHibees
16-11-2022, 09:00 PM
London stadium seems an odd choice

Donegal Hibby
16-11-2022, 09:01 PM
Croke park is one of Europe's largest stadiums with a capacity of 82,300 and was rightly chosen .Aviva stadium is really a amazing stadium as well and holds 51,700
https://images.app.goo.gl/Py6ncKFkCp5qKAj97.
Both rightly chosen . Republic of Ireland have two and Northern Ireland have one . Do think Scotland and Wales should have another one each . Though taking one of us when there's another country with nine doesn't really go down that well with me :greengrin .It is after all a joint venture and should be a bit fairer imo

Stairway 2 7
16-11-2022, 09:11 PM
Croke park is one of Europe's largest stadiums with a capacity of 82,300 and was rightly chosen .Aviva stadium is really a amazing stadium as well and holds 51,700
https://images.app.goo.gl/Py6ncKFkCp5qKAj97.
Both rightly chosen . Republic of Ireland have two and Northern Ireland have one . Do think Scotland and Wales should have another one each . Though taking one of us when there's another country with nine doesn't really go down that well with me :greengrin .It is after all a joint venture and should be a bit fairer imo

Dublin will get 1 probably the aviva.

Croke is crap for football, as said before the pitch is one and a half football pitches long so thousands of awful seats. Great for gaa

As said previously also old Trafford is 80k plus but an awful stadium for football.

England is always going to get more as has the stadiums in separate cities. They wouldn't have 2 in Glasgow so murrayfield probably the only other stadium in the other 4 countries eligible

darwenhibby
16-11-2022, 09:30 PM
What’s going to happen all 5 nations qualify or do we all still need to qualify for a tournament we may partly host?
In fairness England should have had another World Cup by now.

Sir David Gray
16-11-2022, 09:35 PM
Fair enough never been just think the behind the goal bit looks a bit ridiculous

:agree: The small stand behind the goals is ridiculous. I know they had no choice in the matter but it looks horrible.

Sir David Gray
16-11-2022, 09:42 PM
What’s going to happen all 5 nations qualify or do we all still need to qualify for a tournament we may partly host?
In fairness England should have had another World Cup by now.

UEFA said last year that a maximum of two host nations are guaranteed automatic qualification so in the event that more than two nations were to host the event a decision on automatic qualification would be "subject to a decision to be made in conjunction with decisions concerning the qualifying competition."

darwenhibby
16-11-2022, 09:56 PM
UEFA said last year that a maximum of two host nations are guaranteed automatic qualification so in the event that more than two nations were to host the event a decision on automatic qualification would be "subject to a decision to be made in conjunction with decisions concerning the qualifying competition."

Makes sense
None the wiser SDG
Thanks for posting though

Donegal Hibby
16-11-2022, 10:20 PM

Croke is crap for football, as said before the pitch is one and a half football pitches long so thousands of awful seats. Great for gaa

As said previously also old Trafford is 80k plus but an awful stadium for football.

England is always going to get more as has the stadiums in separate cities. They wouldn't have 2 in Glasgow so murrayfield probably the only other stadium in the other 4 countries eligible
I don't think croke park is actually crap and the pitch can be sorted but that's just imo . I think as the countries are doing it as a joint venture it should be 2 for Republic of Ireland , 2 for Scotland , 2 Wales , 1 Northern Ireland and England with the rest .I've been to Hampden park and croke park but not Murrayfield though .why would the old firm grounds not be eligible?

Sir David Gray
16-11-2022, 10:28 PM
Makes sense
None the wiser SDG
Thanks for posting though

Think it means that in the event that 5 nations were to host the tournament only two would be guaranteed automatic qualification (probably England plus A.N. other) but the rules may be changed depending on other factors.

Stairway 2 7
16-11-2022, 10:31 PM
I don't think croke park is actually crap and the pitch can be sorted but that's just imo . I think as the countries are doing it as a joint venture it should be 2 for Republic of Ireland , 2 for Scotland , 2 Wales , 1 Northern Ireland and England with the rest .I've been to Hampden park and croke park but not Murrayfield though .why would the old firm grounds not be eligible?

They would be eligible but it will be one per city bar London. Dublin and Manchester will lose one probably. The only eligible stadium in a city not picked outwith England is murrayfield. Only 10 will be picked.

Phil MaGlass
17-11-2022, 06:27 AM
What happens when Scotland becomes Independent, will we be part of the bid?

Stairway 2 7
17-11-2022, 07:13 AM
What happens when Scotland becomes Independent, will we be part of the bid?

Like rep Ireland

Renfrew_Hibby
17-11-2022, 07:33 AM
Wembley
Spurs
West Ham
Villa
City
Everton
Newcastle
Hampden
Aviva
Principality

That would be my guess.

Stairway 2 7
17-11-2022, 08:05 AM
Wembley
Spurs
West Ham
Villa
City
Everton
Newcastle
Hampden
Aviva
Principality

That would be my guess.

West ham or spurs for a new Belfast stadium and I'd agree

Pagan Hibernia
17-11-2022, 08:29 AM

Old Trafford needs a bit of work and a facelift after being neglected by the Glazers but it’s hardly an “awful stadium for football”. Capacity is 74k.

and I’m anything but a United fan.

Stairway 2 7
17-11-2022, 08:46 AM
Old Trafford needs a bit of work and a facelift after being neglected by the Glazers but it’s hardly an “awful stadium for football”. Capacity is 74k.

and I’m anything but a United fan.

Always thought it was 80. Been a number of times including corporate and it's lightyears behind modern stadiums like spurs. Sightlines and facilities are poor.

Not a fan of any English club just think it's poor and it's a common opinion

Stubbsy90+2
17-11-2022, 09:16 AM
Always thought it was 80. Been a number of times including corporate and it's lightyears behind modern stadiums like spurs. Sightlines and facilities are poor.

Not a fan of any English club just think it's poor and it's a common opinion

:agree:

Old Trafford is extremely dated now. It’s big and that’s about it.

mayo hibee
17-11-2022, 02:58 PM
Belfast is only in there as a token gesture because NI are technically part of the bid. There's no suitable stadium there and won't be by 2028, if ever.

So the expectation is that a second Irish stadium (Croke Park) will be included instead of Belfast when it comes to it. This is the understanding in Ireland anyway, the country will be getting two stadiums in the final tournament line up. Belfast, Sunderland, West Ham and one of the Manchester stadiums will drop off, though Belfast may be kept on some kind of provisional list in case their stadium gets built (which it won't).

The more interesting part is the second automatic qualification place. Ireland are very much going for this on the basis of having two host stadiums (compared to one in Wales, one in Scotland and likely none in NI). Also because having a good chunk of the games on the island of Ireland but not having a host nation there would damage the tournament. But I'd expect the Scottish and Welsh FAs to contest that and try to agree a different arrangement.

Juniper Greens
17-11-2022, 04:38 PM
Belfast is only in there as a token gesture because NI are technically part of the bid. There's no suitable stadium there and won't be by 2028, if ever.

So the expectation is that a second Irish stadium (Croke Park) will be included instead of Belfast when it comes to it. This is the understanding in Ireland anyway, the country will be getting two stadiums in the final tournament line up. Belfast, Sunderland, West Ham and one of the Manchester stadiums will drop off, though Belfast may be kept on some kind of provisional list in case their stadium gets built (which it won't).

The more interesting part is the second automatic qualification place. Ireland are very much going for this on the basis of having two host stadiums (compared to one in Wales, one in Scotland and likely none in NI). Also because having a good chunk of the games on the island of Ireland but not having a host nation there would damage the tournament. But I'd expect the Scottish and Welsh FAs to contest that and try to agree a different arrangement.

A home nations tournament for the 2 spots would be a good shot

Pagan Hibernia
17-11-2022, 04:48 PM

:agree:

the new Casement Park, if it ever gets built, will be a fantastic venue, but too small.