PDA

View Full Version : NHC Sunshine on Leith (Links)

Mcbizz1998
15-11-2022, 02:41 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221115/1e3dcce4483631785a59586500d868e7.jpg

This will be great! Hoping to get tickets on Friday but if unsuccessful will just sit in the garden, should be able to hear them from there.

A near 100% Hibs crowd you would imagine.

wallpaperman
15-11-2022, 03:39 PM
I wonder if they ever get a bit fed up of the Hibs ‘thing’, particularly when the play in Edinburgh.

Possibly would grate with me a bit after a while.

Bostonhibby
15-11-2022, 04:18 PM
I wonder if they ever get a bit fed up of the Hibs ‘thing’, particularly when the play in Edinburgh.

Possibly would grate with me a bit after a while.Asked Charlie that very question in Peterborough some years ago, said definitely not and signed my ticket with a glory, glory to the Hibees[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

heretoday
15-11-2022, 04:27 PM

Not everyone loves the SoL anthem!
It must get a bit grating.
Like Ralph McTell having to play Streets of London all the time!

Bridge hibs
15-11-2022, 04:39 PM
I dont like Sunshine on Leith, it just reduces me to a blubbering wreck, Ive heard it at the last three funerals I attended and of course the cup final and many re runs thereafter. My hanky bills are going through the roof 🫣

hibbydog
15-11-2022, 04:53 PM
I dont like Sunshine on Leith, it just reduces me to a blubbering wreck, Ive heard it at the last three funerals I attended and of course the cup final and many re runs thereafter. My hanky bills are going through the roof 🫣

That’s a decent point. When my pal died he has SOL at his funeral and I stopped listening to it. Until a certain day in May 2016 I might add 🤓😎

I think it’s spoiled by being played too much. I tend to save it for special occasions. Otherwise it’s like having chocolate with every meal.

Ken?

Bridge hibs
15-11-2022, 05:28 PM
That’s a decent point. When my pal died he has SOL at his funeral and I stopped listening to it. Until a certain day in May 2016 I might add 🤓😎

I think it’s spoiled by being played too much. I tend to save it for special occasions. Otherwise it’s like having chocolate with every meal.

Ken?I dont mind the chocolate part I suppose 😀

CropleyWasGod
15-11-2022, 06:06 PM

Steve Earle was getting pestered by an audience member in Glasgow once. She kept shouting for one particular song.

He eventually snapped and said to her "do you honestly think I'm not going to play that song? It's my ****ing job "

It's their job :)

Smartie
15-11-2022, 06:26 PM

Ken?

I think Hibs do a brilliant job of using it sparingly.

They could have flogged the life out of it and rendered it meaningless.

Come to think of it, it hasn’t rung out around ER for some time now.

bod
15-11-2022, 06:31 PM
Asked Charlie that very question in Peterborough some years ago, said definitely not and signed my ticket with a glory, glory to the Hibees[emoji16]

Knowing how many hibs fans buy their tickets or download their music.I’d be surprised if he says yes it does

Highwayman
15-11-2022, 06:51 PM
Some musicians are quite happy to continue to play their greatest hits if that’s what their audience wants.Others are more keen to move on.
I know someone who went to see Al Stewart at The Queens Hall.As Stewart came on the stage some idiot shouted “Play Year Of The Cat”.Stewart proceeded to play it and when finished asked “is that what you came to hear.The idiot then clapped like a sea lion and hooted like an owl,shouting “Yes “.Stewart said “fine” and walked off refusing to come back on again.
Be careful what you wish for.

wallpaperman
15-11-2022, 07:33 PM

Wasn’t necessarily the playing of SOL that I was thinking about, more the local gigs being full of folk in Hibs tops and things like that, and turning it into some sort of Hibs rally - is that how it is or am I wide of the mark?

The last time I saw the Proclaimers was about 30 years ago, so the Hibs link wasn’t as strong as it is now and it wasn’t full of folk with football tops on.

Ringothedog
15-11-2022, 07:51 PM
Wasn’t necessarily the playing of SOL that I was thinking about, more the local gigs being full of folk in Hibs tops and things like that, and turning it into some sort of Hibs rally - is that how it is or am I wide of the mark?

The last time I saw the Proclaimers was about 30 years ago, so the Hibs link wasn’t as strong as it is now and it wasn’t full of folk with football tops on.
I was at the castle when they played last time, yes there is a Hibs presence in the crowd but not as big as you would think. People go to see the Proclaimers sing their vast catalogue of fantastic songs. Sunshine on Leith is just one of those songs which has a Hibs connection nothing more nothing less.

macca70
15-11-2022, 07:52 PM

They play plenty gigs where the hibs thing isn’t a thing. Remember seeing them in Blackpool, no significant presence of hibs tops etc that I could see.

The Edinburgh gigs have a few hibs tops/scarves but not excessive and they don’t always play SOL.

I think they have a perfect balance, plenty non hibs support when away from Edinburgh but a solid core support from their hibs/Leith roots.

Can’t wait to see them in Dublin this Weekend.

Bostonhibby
15-11-2022, 07:54 PM
Knowing how many hibs fans buy their tickets or download their music.I’d be surprised if he says yes it does[emoji16]
I was there in the conversation, I think he was sincere enough.

darwenhibby
15-11-2022, 08:00 PM
Saw them in Blackburn 4 weeks ago
Quite a few Hibs scarfs and tops
They were really good

WeeRussell
15-11-2022, 09:04 PM
Some musicians are quite happy to continue to play their greatest hits if that’s what their audience wants.Others are more keen to move on.
I know someone who went to see Al Stewart at The Queens Hall.As Stewart came on the stage some idiot shouted “Play Year Of The Cat”.Stewart proceeded to play it and when finished asked “is that what you came to hear.The idiot then clapped like a sea lion and hooted like an owl,shouting “Yes “.Stewart said “fine” and walked off refusing to come back on again.
Be careful what you wish for.

To be fair that sounds like Al Stewart being the idiot 😁

WeeRussell
15-11-2022, 09:17 PM
Steve Earle was getting pestered by an audience member in Glasgow once. She kept shouting for one particular song.

He eventually snapped and said to her "do you honestly think I'm not going to play that song? It's my ****ing job "

It's their job :)

Says similar on one of his live albums, sure it’s to a drunk American guy and follows-up offering to bet him money he won’t be awake to hear it though.

Surely the ‘getting sick of playing’ the hits is far more applicable to 500 miles than SOL? And like you say, it’s a feature of most popular bands with one hit significantly bigger than the others.

Pretty Boy
15-11-2022, 09:44 PM
Says similar on one of his live albums, sure it’s to a drunk American guy and follows-up offering to bet him money he won’t be awake to hear it though.

Surely the ‘getting sick of playing’ the hits is far more applicable to 500 miles than SOL? And like you say, it’s a feature of most popular bands with one hit significantly bigger than the others.

Iirc when the BBC documentary aired about The Proclaimers a couple of years back they said they would always play 500 Miles live because it's what pays the bills and allows them to keep doing what they are doing. They appreciate what that song does for them.

Tbh I never get the big deal about wanting an act to play their biggest hits live. I'm not condoning pestering them but I don't really get bands who point blank refuse to play their most famous numbers. They are surely aware there are people in the crowd who are there because of said songs, particularly at festivals and the like. I've seen James live a few times and they can be a bit like that to the point of almost sneering at their audience. Is it even how people really consume music? When I buy or download an album I don't listen to it once or twice, say 'I've done that' and put it back onto the shelf and move on to something else. I listen to old favourites all the time and half the stuff I listen to was popular when my parents were teenagers. I like discovering knew things and have no issue with a band showcasing their new music and it featuring heavily when they are touring. I quite like to hear a classic from time to time as well though.

WeeRussell
15-11-2022, 10:03 PM
Iirc when the BBC documentary aired about The Proclaimers a couple of years back they said they would always play 500 Miles live because it's what pays the bills and allows them to keep doing what they are doing. They appreciate what that song does for them.

Tbh I never get the big deal about wanting an act to play their biggest hits live. I'm not condoning pestering them but I don't really get bands who point blank refuse to play their most famous numbers. They are surely aware there are people in the crowd who are there because of said songs, particularly at festivals and the like. I've seen James live a few times and they can be a bit like that to the point of almost sneering at their audience. Is it even how people really consume music? When I buy or download an album I don't listen to it once or twice, say 'I've done that' and put it back onto the shelf and move on to something else. I listen to old favourites all the time and half the stuff I listen to was popular when my parents were teenagers. I like discovering knew things and have no issue with a band showcasing their new music and it featuring heavily when they are touring. I quite like to hear a classic from time to time as well though.

Agree entirely. Probably didn’t word my reply very well but just meant to point out that 500 miles is the proclaimers ‘hit’ that the world knows as opposed to SOL. And that playing one song at almost every single gig is certainly not unique to Craig and Charlie.

HibeeHibernia
15-11-2022, 10:10 PM
It must be an amazing feeling for Craig and Charlie to know that their song will be a club anthem with the club they love long after they're gone and what a song it is no other comes close. :flag:

Donegal Hibby
16-11-2022, 12:31 AM
There's some brilliant football anthems at clubs bigger than ours but imo we have the best of all of them. Every time I hear S O L the emotion and pride i feel being a Hibby is undescribable. :flag:
https://youtu.be/lt26StUVHoc

bod
16-11-2022, 09:31 AM

That’s what I like about a James gig.never two gigs with the same set list

Pretty Boy
16-11-2022, 09:44 AM
That’s what I like about a James gig.never two gigs with the same set list

Same with me hence why I have seen them multiple times.

I don't think it would bother me that much if they chucked in Sit Down, Laid and She's A Star though.

Mcbizz1998
16-11-2022, 09:46 AM

Well, if it does then they should have thought of that before they mention Hibs in several songs and wrote the finest club anthem on the planet!! [emoji16]

Northernhibee
17-11-2022, 09:55 PM
Same with me hence why I have seen them multiple times.

I don't think it would bother me that much if they chucked in Sit Down, Laid and She's A Star though.

Seen them the day after the Brexit vote. 'Sit Down' seemed an open goal to lift the gloom that day. Didn't play it. Still felt gloomy after.

It was at Glastonbury and Billy Bragg grasped the opportunity that day, one of the best gigs I've seen.

Pretty Boy
18-11-2022, 06:38 AM
Tickets on sale at 9am, £47.50 a pop.

Steven79
18-11-2022, 08:07 AM

Managed to get two tickets easily enough just now.

Going to see them at the Playhouse in a few weeks as well.

Mcbizz1998
18-11-2022, 08:27 AM
Got mine and so did a few friends and family. Should be a great day, especially if we get some good weather.

wookie70
18-11-2022, 09:47 AM

Still on sale at Leith Links but showing as £52.25 for me. That is for the second show

Pretty Boy
18-11-2022, 09:51 AM
Still on sale at Leith Links but showing as £52.25 for me. That is for the second show

Think £52.50 includes the usual Ticketmaster fees and surcharges. I got 2 and paid £108 all in time all that ***** was added on.

blackpoolhibs
18-11-2022, 12:41 PM
Forgot all about these going on sale, Saturday is sold out now but an extra date on the sunday has been added.

2 tickets bought easily for that. :greengrin

bod
18-11-2022, 01:56 PM
Going to the gala gig as the Saturday in Edinburgh clashes with the Norway Scotland game