PDA

View Full Version : Defending for Killie’s goal

matty_f
14-11-2022, 09:00 AM
Watched Sportscene to look at the defending leading to their penalty, and it’s schoolboy stuff.
Whether you think it’s a penalty or not (I’m still not sure, can see why it’s given but you look at some other instances across Scotland at the weekend, and in fact, in our own game, and there are definitely better shouts that weren’t given), we block the initial cross and despite there being NINE outfield Hibs players in the box, we stand still and let the Killie forward have another go.

The ball breaks to Cabraja, who’s touch plays him into trouble while literally nobody else in a Hibs jersey moves. The team are completely static as he tries to take the ball out of the box.

It’s awful defending. The lack of reaction/urgency to the first cross blocked is criminal. Nine players literally watching and waiting for someone else to take responsibility for it.

When you consider how bad the defending was for County’s second goal last Tuesday you’d have every right to ask whether anyone has a clue what they’re meant to be doing.

SlickShoes
14-11-2022, 09:06 AM
Noticed this at the time as well, the way everyone just stands and expects someone else to do the job is criminal. As a former defender, it's very basic stuff and frustrating to see these lapses happen over and over and over again.

Heisenberg
14-11-2022, 09:08 AM
My main take from the last few weeks is that several players aren’t playing for this manager any longer. They’ve chucked it. No desire to defend for each other or the club. So many soft as **** goals conceded and nobody taking any responsibility at either end of the park.

B.H.F.C
14-11-2022, 09:13 AM
My main take from the last few weeks is that several players aren’t playing for this manager any longer. They’ve chucked it. No desire to defend for each other or the club. So many soft as **** goals conceded and nobody taking any responsibility at either end of the park.

When things are going all right, they’re all right. When things start going against them, none of them have the balls to step up and drag the rest of the team along. It’s always someone else’s responsibility and that someone will generally be the manager. Thought LJ looked like a beaten man at the side of the park on Saturday.

Col L
14-11-2022, 09:14 AM
I'm glad you've highlighted this.

As much as the penalty award infuriated me, our defending in that situation was absolutely shoddy. We've lost so many cheap goals over the past month - the two against St Johnstone and Ross County, several against Celtic and the list goes on. Just another example of players not doing their job, staying switched on and having the fire in their belly to contest/defend every ball.

flash
14-11-2022, 09:20 AM
Am still hacked off at the offside decision.
They are in line.

McGruber
14-11-2022, 09:26 AM
Watched Sportscene to look at the defending leading to their penalty, and it’s schoolboy stuff.
Whether you think it’s a penalty or not (I’m still not sure, can see why it’s given but you look at some other instances across Scotland at the weekend, and in fact, in our own game, and there are definitely better shouts that weren’t given), we block the initial cross and despite there being NINE outfield Hibs players in the box, we stand still and let the Killie forward have another go.

The ball breaks to Cabraja, who’s touch plays him into trouble while literally nobody else in a Hibs jersey moves. The team are completely static as he tries to take the ball out of the box.

It’s awful defending. The lack of reaction/urgency to the first cross blocked is criminal. Nine players literally watching and waiting for someone else to take responsibility for it.

When you consider how bad the defending was for County’s second goal last Tuesday you’d have every right to ask whether anyone has a clue what they’re meant to be doing.

Yeah agreed. Total schoolboy stuff

Nicho87
14-11-2022, 09:50 AM
A team with no real leaders on the park currently

flash
14-11-2022, 09:52 AM
A team with no real leaders on the park currently

Which is pretty incredible when you consider we have two guys who have accumulated around 1000 appearances between them.

JimBHibees
14-11-2022, 10:46 AM
Noticed this at the time as well, the way everyone just stands and expects someone else to do the job is criminal. As a former defender, it's very basic stuff and frustrating to see these lapses happen over and over and over again.

Yep that was utterly incredible so many players nearby and not one moved to close down. Beyond pathetic to be honest.

Smartie
14-11-2022, 10:53 AM
It was a dreadful passage of play from our point of view but the defending was better on Saturday than it has been lately. Might be because we were playing a poor team who carried little threat but I didn't think we looked troubled at any point until one moment where we went all out to shoot ourselves in the foot.

The penalty decision may have been dubious but I don't think you can reasonably expect to get away with carelessness like that in our league.

Since452
14-11-2022, 10:59 AM
We have our captain in goals and our "club captain" right in front of him yet there is no sense of organisation or fight and desire to defend. You'd think that would be our strongest area... Dropping our best defender doesn't help. Surely you make sure your best players are on the park?

B.H.F.C
14-11-2022, 11:05 AM
We have our captain in goals and our "club captain" right in front of him yet there is no sense of organisation or fight and desire to defend. You'd think that would be our strongest area... Dropping our best defender doesn't help. Surely you make sure your best players are on the park?

How have we been defending with our ‘best’ defender in the side over the last few weeks?

SickBoy32
14-11-2022, 11:09 AM

Bushiri is in no way one of our best players - if he is we're in worse shape than I thought!

He's improved from last season, but still not in our top 2 centre halves

Smartie
14-11-2022, 11:15 AM
Bushiri is in no way one of our best players - if he is we're in worse shape than I thought!

See the examples of the mistakes that Matty highlighted? Rocky hasn't been making them this season. Porto has, Hanlon has.

Whilst I might be inclined to agree with you on the whole "form is temporary, class is permanent thing" making the other 2 better players than Rocky, on current form they're nowhere near him.

And if he keeps it up (well, if he gets the opportunity to keep it up) for much longer then we just have to accept he's our best centre half.

Brightside
14-11-2022, 11:41 AM

Agreed. He’s good in a back 3 but Porto and Hanlon are still our best in a back 4. If Porto is away we will see plenty of Rocky then, and we can go back to blaming Hanlon for every goal we lose.

Smartie
14-11-2022, 02:03 PM
Agreed. He’s good in a back 3 but Porto and Hanlon are still our best in a back 4. If Porto is away we will see plenty of Rocky then, and we can go back to blaming Hanlon for every goal we lose.

Have Rocky and Hanlon ever played together in a pair?

I can't remember them doing so, so I'm not sure we can say for sure that Hanlon and Porteous are our best pair.

We can say for sure that when Hanlon was out, Porteous and Bushiri looked awkward together, especially Porteous on the left.

And obviously they've played together in a 3 many times.

FWIW I'd have played Bushiri and Hanlon on Saturday, and I don't think it would have made the slightest bit of difference to the way the game played out.