PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldo

I'm Spartacus
14-11-2022, 08:17 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63619074

Obviously trying to force a move.
Having a go at the Manager.
Popping one at Rooney.
Greetin' his spoilt oily plastic face off.

Great player in his day but what a way to spend the latter days of your career, he can only end up at a morally corrupt plastic club now for a mega pay day.

MWHIBBIES
14-11-2022, 08:20 AM
Desperately clinging to relevance. Great player but best days well in the past.

Been a dreadful transfer for United. Along with a dozen others tbf.

I'm Spartacus
14-11-2022, 08:27 AM
Desperately clinging to relevance. Great player but best days well in the past.

Been a dreadful transfer for United. Along with a dozen others tbf.

Agree, but the panic was that he was about to sign for City, they've played United a blinder here.

The Modfather
14-11-2022, 08:31 AM
Given Ronaldo’s ego it would be satisfying to watch Messi and/or Halland overtake his various records.

Have watched his career in amazement, but never really warned to him. The last few years, where it’s all about him and his goal scoring records regardless of if that’s to the detriment of the team or not, only reinforces my feelings.

King conrad
14-11-2022, 08:40 AM
All about him, needs to accept he's not the same player as he was a few year ago.
Hopefully Argentina win the world cup to anger him even more

Pagan Hibernia
14-11-2022, 08:42 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63619074

Obviously trying to force a move.
Having a go at the Manager.
Popping one at Rooney.
Greetin' his spoilt oily plastic face off.

Great player in his day but what a way to spend the latter days of your career, he can only end up at a morally corrupt plastic club now for a mega pay day.

there was me thinking he was already at one of those clubs :wink:

Callum_62
14-11-2022, 08:43 AM
I definately don't understand how Ronaldo has this 'all about me' attitude labelled at him

Blatently he's speaking out of line here but I've never seen him do anything that suggested this before?

He's ruthlessly focused which is probably why he's been one of the 2 top players in the world for as long as he has but I've never seen him as not wanting the best for the team

Anyway, could he do a job?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Carheenlea
14-11-2022, 08:49 AM
Anyway, could he do a job?

A no brainer.

With Cadden’s crosses and Newells range of defence carving passing he’d be good for maybe 3 goals a season.

Hibbyradge
14-11-2022, 09:11 AM
A no brainer.

With Cadden’s crosses and Newells range of defence carving passing he’d be good for maybe 3 goals a season.

Top scorer then

hibee
14-11-2022, 09:11 AM
I don’t see anything he’s said so far that I don’t agree with, yes it’s a bit strange doing an interview because most players wouldn’t but everything he is saying is correct.

I'm Spartacus
14-11-2022, 09:26 AM
there was me thinking he was already at one of those clubs :wink:

Haha good point! (You can tell my English team as I was blind to that!)

Stubbsy90+2
14-11-2022, 09:50 AM
Just been a bizarre period with ronaldo at Man Utd.

He’s not covered himself in glory but Man Utd have handled his return appalingly.

24 goals in 38 games last season, if they’d signed anyone else that managed that they’d have been ecstatic. This season rolls round and they’ve no use for him yet they’ve not signed anyone to replace him and have nobody half as good at getting goals as him in their team, even now.

He should be the focal point of Uniteds forward line regardless of his flaws. The way his flaws constantly get highlighted you’d be forgiven for thinking guys like Martial, Rashford and Fernandes were flawless.

Northernhibee
14-11-2022, 09:53 AM
I thought Man Utd were on the right track right up to the point that they signed him to be honest.

Since452
14-11-2022, 09:56 AM
I'd have him at Hibs to be honest

Rumble de Thump
14-11-2022, 10:05 AM
I wish my employer was disrespectful enough to pay me 500K per week, and even continue to do so after I'd publicly refused to do my job.

neil7908
14-11-2022, 10:08 AM

He’s not covered himself in glory but Man Utd have handled his return appalingly.

24 goals in 38 games last season, if they’d signed anyone else that managed that they’d have been ecstatic. This season rolls round and they’ve no use for him yet they’ve not signed anyone to replace him and have nobody half as good at getting goals as him in their team, even now.

He should be the focal point of Uniteds forward line regardless of his flaws. The way his flaws constantly get highlighted you’d be forgiven for thinking guys like Martial, Rashford and Fernandes were flawless.

The problem is that he doesn't want to/can't press. So the managers whole style of play and the teams whole shape has to be built around him.

Yes he gets goals but at the expense of the collective good. Which he clearly isn't bothered about.

He wanted away before the end of the transfer window and the chat was no one would take him.

He won't get near a top club anymore, it'll be a team in the US our somewhere like that. He is well past his peak and the ego can't handle it.

Hibernia&Alba
14-11-2022, 10:08 AM
Very sad way for it to end for a club legend. Reading his comments, I'm more interested in his assessment of the lack of change at the club under the Glazers, in terms of infrastructure and facilities. I think that's the bigger story than his personal issues with the manager. Ronaldo isn't daft, he knows exactly what he's doing. He's put a bomb under the owners and the board. Obviously, he's finished at United, has decided to go out all guns blazing, and it's a shame to see it end this way.

Stubbsy90+2
14-11-2022, 10:25 AM
The problem is that he doesn't want to/can't press. So the managers whole style of play and the teams whole shape has to be built around him.

Yes he gets goals but at the expense of the collective good. Which he clearly isn't bothered about.

He wanted away before the end of the transfer window and the chat was no one would take him.

He won't get near a top club anymore, it'll be a team in the US our somewhere like that. He is well past his peak and the ego can't handle it.

And yet playing this system with the team pressing isn’t doing them any good because the players that can press lack quality elsewhere, quality that ronaldo, even now, has in abundance.

neil7908
14-11-2022, 10:33 AM
And yet playing this system with the team pressing isn’t doing them any good because the players that can press lack quality elsewhere, quality that ronaldo, even now, has in abundance.

What do you mean its not doing them any good? They got a very poor result against City but since then they have been on a good run and are looking like breaking into the top 4. Ronaldo has had chances off the bench and in Europe and hasn't done anything to suggest he's the player he was years ago.

Again, you have to ask if why Juve were desperate to get rid of him a couple of years ago and no other big club was interested this summer.

MWHIBBIES
14-11-2022, 11:25 AM
I'd have him at Hibs to be honest

Na, we shouldn't sign rapists.

NAE NOOKIE
14-11-2022, 11:26 AM
If we had a forward who scored 20 plus goals in a season I wouldn't give a toss if he was 'doing it for himself'

Ronaldo may well have an ego but it's a bloody deserved one, probably one of the top 10 players ever to have played this game and every one of those games in 3 of the top 5 leagues in Europe. The guy is a testament to single minded determination to succeed at his craft.

The fact that he chose to rejoin Man United at the age he was might have been down to ego, but he could also have chosen an easy retirement in the middle east, China or even the USA where he could have turbocharged his goals for column. If he is a 'selfish' player it doesn't extend to his off field largess which has been pretty well documented.

In the end I highly doubt an end of career spat with Man United will be enough to tarnish his legacy.

Stubbsy90+2
14-11-2022, 11:39 AM
What do you mean its not doing them any good? They got a very poor result against City but since then they have been on a good run and are looking like breaking into the top 4. Ronaldo has had chances off the bench and in Europe and hasn't done anything to suggest he's the player he was years ago.

Again, you have to ask if why Juve were desperate to get rid of him a couple of years ago and no other big club was interested this summer.

Breaking into the top 4 isn’t really an achievement for Man Utd. Being a Europa League side trying to break into the top 4 is poor for Man Utd.

Playing guys like Rashford and Martial won’t get them to the level they should be, even if they can press well. Ronaldo showed last season that when he’s playing he’ll still score a hell of a lot of goals and a hell of a lot of them will be on the big stage.

I have no doubt we’ll see his ability over the next month or so at the World Cup.

Donegal Hibby
14-11-2022, 11:40 AM
Ronaldo hasn't looked anything like the player he was , think he's sadly away past his best . Stories like this coming out doesn't do the club any good at all . Ronaldo seems to be coming more of a disruptive figure at Utd these days much the same as Paul pogba was who was only motivated by money imo .I get the feeling Utd boss is a no nonsense manager and expect him to get rid of Ronaldo sooner rather than later which is no bad thing considering he's on a reported half a million a week, money that would be better spent elsewhere imo.

Callum_62
14-11-2022, 11:52 AM
Ronaldo hasn't looked anything like the player he was , think he's sadly away past his best . Stories like this coming out doesn't do the club any good at all . Ronaldo seems to be coming more of a disruptive figure at Utd these days much the same as Paul pogba was who was only motivated by money imo .I get the feeling Utd boss is a no nonsense manager and expect him to rid of Ronaldo sooner rather than later which is no bad thing considering he's on a reported half a million a week, money that would be better spent elsewhere imo.In what way does him speaking out increases his liklihood of more money?

I'd he was only in it for the money why care if he's playing or not?

shetlandhibee
14-11-2022, 11:54 AM

This 100 % after his goals in a poor united team last year IMO I think he’s been treated with disrespect with game time he’s had this year, if he’d played every game he’d be in double figures by now, no wonder he’s wanting away, sure he’s declined a bit but is still one of the best striker in the world, I think he’ll prove it in coming weeks 👌👍

Donegal Hibby
14-11-2022, 12:00 PM
In what way does him speaking out increases his liklihood of more money?

I'd he was only in it for the money why care if he's playing or not?

Never said it did increase his likelihood for more money actually don't know what your on about :dunno:

Callum_62
14-11-2022, 12:10 PM
Never said it did increase his likelihood for more money actually don't know what your on about :dunno:

my bad - i misread the Pogba section :thumbsup:

JeMeSouviens
14-11-2022, 12:11 PM
Ronaldo hasn't looked anything like the player he was , think he's sadly away past his best . Stories like this coming out doesn't do the club any good at all . Ronaldo seems to be coming more of a disruptive figure at Utd these days much the same as Paul pogba was who was only motivated by money imo .I get the feeling Utd boss is a no nonsense manager and expect him to get rid of Ronaldo sooner rather than later which is no bad thing considering he's on a reported half a million a week, money that would be better spent elsewhere imo.

It's all about legacy with Ron, specifically v Messi.

He currently leads the all time Champions' League scoring 140 vs 129 and has 5 CLs to Messi's 4. They have one international trophy each, Ron's Euros vs Messi's Copa America. Messi has 7 ballons d'or to Ron's 5.

The ballon d'or has probably sailed for him but he desperately needs to get to a CL team to try and stay ahead there. If PSG were to win the CL and Argentina the world cup, Ron will probably explode. :greengrin

Fergus52
14-11-2022, 12:29 PM

20/21 Man utd had the second best attack in the league, scored 73 goals and won 74 points. They played attractive football with the 3 players you mentioned all chipping in with a good amount of goals alongside Cavani and Greenwood as well.

Ronaldo comes in the season after, and while he scores a lot himself, man united are much much worse going forward overall, scoring 57 goals (the 8th best in the league) and only wining 58 points. The 3 players you mentioned all have much poorer seasons as everything they do going forward revolves around Ronaldo now.

They regressed massively when their tactic became get the ball to Ronaldo in the box, compared to when they had a fast dynamic forward line with several players interchanging positions making different runs etc.

He made them much less effective as a team overall, less good to watch and less good going forward, despite gaining a decent haul himself. I don't know how anyone, either from watching them in both seasons or just looking at the stats I posted above, can think otherwise.

Donegal Hibby
14-11-2022, 12:30 PM
my bad - i misread the Pogba section :thumbsup:
No problem buddy happens to me as well:aok:

Baader
14-11-2022, 12:34 PM
Another Ron causing problems!

Stubbsy90+2
14-11-2022, 12:34 PM
20/21 Man utd had the second best attack in the league, scored 73 goals and won 74 points. They played attractive football with the 3 players you mentioned all chipping in with a good amount of goals alongside Cavani and Greenwood as well.

Ronaldo comes in the season after, and while he scores a lot himself, man united are much much worse going forward overall, scoring 57 goals (the 8th best in the league) and only wining 58 points. The 3 players you mentioned all have much poorer seasons as everything they do going forward revolves around Ronaldo now.

They regressed massively when their tactic became get the ball to Ronaldo in the box, compared to when they had a fast dynamic forward line with several players interchanging positions making different runs etc.

He made them much less effective as a team overall, less good to watch and less good going forward, despite gaining a decent haul himself. I don't know how anyone, either from watching them in both seasons or just looking at the stats I posted above, can think otherwise.

Those stats are all well and good but Ronaldo isn’t the only variable so they’re meaningless. They had a different manager for the majority of the 21/22 season than they did 20/21 for starters. They had Cavani available most of the season 20/21, not available a lot of 21/22. Rashford came out recently and said he wasn’t in a good place mentally last season. Martial was pretty crap in both they seasons. To put the blame on Ronaldo for them having poorer seasons is completely ignoring other significant factors and putting all the blame on Ronaldo.

Bruno Fernandes is the only one who maybe doesn’t have any other obvious reason for being poorer last season when Ronaldo came in than he was in 20/21. Ronaldo hasn’t played this season though and Fernandes has been even worse this season than he was last season so again, not sure you can really put the blame on Ronaldo when Fernandes has shown himself capable of having a season without Ronaldo that’s even worse than the season he played with him.

If Ronaldo was the only variable then those stats would maybe have some merit. He isn’t though so they don’t really tell us anything.

shetlandhibee
14-11-2022, 12:44 PM
Those stats are all well and good but Ronaldo isn’t the only variable so they’re meaningless. They had a different manager for the majority of the 21/22 season than they did 20/21 for starters. They had Cavani available most of the season 20/21, not available a lot of 21/22. Rashford came out recently and said he wasn’t in a good place mentally last season. Martial was pretty crap in both they seasons. To put the blame on Ronaldo for them having poorer seasons is completely ignoring other significant factors and putting all the blame on Ronaldo.

Bruno Fernandes is the only one who maybe doesn’t have any other obvious reason for being poorer last season when Ronaldo came in than he was in 20/21. Ronaldo hasn’t played this season though and Fernandes has been even worse this season than he was last season so again, not sure you can really put the blame on Ronaldo when Fernandes has shown himself capable of having a season without Ronaldo that’s even worse than the season he played with him.

If Ronaldo was the only variable then those stats would maybe have some merit. He isn’t though so they don’t really tell us anything.
👌👍

The Spaceman
14-11-2022, 12:49 PM
He detests the fact that Messi is back to his best at PSG and any (very remote) hopes he had of closing the gap in their legacies/legend has all but gone now. Will always be the Number 2 in their era, albeit still one of the very greatest to ever play the game.

United need to get rid, but no other top club will touch him. My money is he will be playing in the MLS, Middle East or Asia in the next 9 months.

MWHIBBIES
14-11-2022, 01:00 PM
He detests the fact that Messi is back to his best at PSG and any (very remote) hopes he had of closing the gap in their legacies/legend has all but gone now. Will always be the Number 2 in their era, albeit still one of the very greatest to ever play the game.

United need to get rid, but no other top club will touch him. My money is he will be playing in the MLS, Middle East or Asia in the next 9 months.

Can he even play in the US? Wouldn't he get lifted?

SteveHFC
14-11-2022, 01:01 PM
Hopefully Messi and Argentina win the World Cup to make him even more seething than he already js.

Fergus52
14-11-2022, 01:04 PM

He's the main variable though, they completely changed their style of play to accommodate him.

A fluid pacey front line, which created loads of chances through well drilled team pressing off the ball, and interchanging positions and third man runs on the ball turned into a system built entirely around setting up chances for Ronaldo. Who hardly pressed and always had to be the the furthest forward and most central player, with the wide men now playing more defensively and with less creative and positional freedom than the season before.

He scored a lot of goals from them playing like this but their forward play overall was much worse. If they hadn't drastically changed how they played and looked to create chances then what you're saying would have merit, but if a team completely changes their system you can't just point to individual players being in or out of form as the main factors affecting overall performance - I'd argue its the change in system that caused the poor form of Rashford, Fernandes, Martial etc. They ripped up everything that had been working the season before to accomodate Ronaldo and regressed because of it.

Pretty Boy
14-11-2022, 01:51 PM
You can't have players behaving like this regardless of whether you feel that they have a point or not.

It's disrespectful to a club that played a huge part in his career and it's disrespectful to his teammates. It also put Ten Haag in an awful position. Don't play him and after a few bad results it will be 'oh it would be different if Ronaldo was playing', play him and he looks weak. Add to that Ronaldo is such a legend there that the fans will be split on it in a way they wouldn't be if it was someone like Martial who had done the same. He's undermined his manager and weakened his position in the eyes of the fans, I daresay that was part of his motivation. I don't care how good a player is, refusing to come on as a sub then strolling off when the game is ongoing is ridiculous behaviour. Bleating away about how hard done by you are to a d*** like Morgan just compounds that.

Undeniably a great player but this just looks petulant and bizarrely for a guy often tagged as arrogant it screams insecurity.

Bobby's Cinema
14-11-2022, 01:56 PM
Massive error in judgement coming from him as a current player. What was he thinking?
Absolutely no value in him doing this either for his own cause or for the club. The guys meant to be a role model around the world.

Stubbsy90+2
14-11-2022, 05:27 PM
He's the main variable though, they completely changed their style of play to accommodate him.

A fluid pacey front line, which created loads of chances through well drilled team pressing off the ball, and interchanging positions and third man runs on the ball turned into a system built entirely around setting up chances for Ronaldo. Who hardly pressed and always had to be the the furthest forward and most central player, with the wide men now playing more defensively and with less creative and positional freedom than the season before.

He scored a lot of goals from them playing like this but their forward play overall was much worse. If they hadn't drastically changed how they played and looked to create chances then what you're saying would have merit, but if a team completely changes their system you can't just point to individual players being in or out of form as the main factors affecting overall performance - I'd argue its the change in system that caused the poor form of Rashford, Fernandes, Martial etc. They ripped up everything that had been working the season before to accomodate Ronaldo and regressed because of it.

Nobody knows what the main variable is. You’ve said that simply because it suits your argument. None of us have any way of saying what variable made the most impact as there’s so many variables season by season at football teams. Man Utd signed 3 world renowned players in 21/22, that’s 3 new big names into the squad, 3 players who would all be expecting to play a big part etc. They changed managers, they had to cope with Champions League football which they hadn’t had to cope with in a while, maybe they decided not to attempt a high energy high press as they’d burn out over the course of a season trying that at such a high level twice a week? Again, absolutely nobody knows so the simple fact that Man Utd scored less goals and picked up less points can’t be put at Ronaldos door based on stats. Fair enough if that’s your opinion, but that’s not what the stats tell you as you’re suggesting. If it was then we could point to the fact we were a worse team in Stubbs second season due to the signing of John McGinn as we finished 3rd rather than 2nd. Of course nobody will hold that opinion but that’s exactly what that stat would tell you.

Changing managers is a massive variable. That could easily have had a bigger impact overall than Ronaldo. Maybe they would have been even worse last season had Ronaldo not come in, it’s impossible to say. Fernandes has been rotten this season, so to point blank say it was ronaldos fault last season despite the fact he’s been worse than ever this season without Ronaldo is pure guesswork. Martial was absolutely pish both the seasons you’re talking about so again, I’m not sure Ronaldo can really be blaimed seeing as he was gash before Ronaldo even arrived.

And you better tell Rashford that it was actually Ronaldo who was the root cause of his poor form as he’s of the opinion it was his mental health.

hibsbollah
14-11-2022, 05:48 PM

This is exactly right, and why despite some spectacular performances and loadsa loadsa goals he was making Juve a worse team too. His accomplishments are incredible but he needs a team to play around him not the other way round.

Stubbsy90+2
14-11-2022, 07:46 PM
This is exactly right, and why despite some spectacular performances and loadsa loadsa goals he was making Juve a worse team too. His accomplishments are incredible but he needs a team to play around him not the other way round.

Juve haven’t won a trophy since Ronaldo left and they look unlikely to do so again this season. They won a trophy every season with him there. I’d suggest that points to there being other issues than the guy that scored not far off a goal a game for them.

hibstag
14-11-2022, 07:57 PM
He probably like to avoid the US if he could...

Donegal Hibby
14-11-2022, 07:58 PM
Man United bosses met with Erik ten hag to decide on Cristiano Ronaldo's punishment according to one of the papers, meeting was today it said .

Tyler Durden
14-11-2022, 08:19 PM
If he was so bothered by the made up disrespect, he could have left in the summer and joined Sporting Lisbon. But of course he didn’t want to give up the wages that only Man Utd were stupid enough to pay.

None of his complaints have any real merit, he’s just a spoilt child who is finding it difficult that he’s no longer elite material.

Ten Hag deserves huge credit for how he’s handled the situation.

Big_Franck
14-11-2022, 08:48 PM
If he was so bothered by the made up disrespect, he could have left in the summer and joined Sporting Lisbon. But of course he didn’t want to give up the wages that only Man Utd were stupid enough to pay.

None of his complaints have any real merit, he’s just a spoilt child who is finding it difficult that he’s no longer elite material.

Totally agree. He's not getting the attention he craves on the pitch now that he's past it, so he is creating stories to get that attention off the pitch.

Tyler Durden
14-11-2022, 09:12 PM
The latest headline in tomorrow’s Sun is Ronaldo saying G-Nev is “using me for TV fame”

All this while he hugs Piers Morgan. You have to laugh!

JimBHibees
14-11-2022, 09:18 PM

Pretty much this how nauseating was the interview with smarmy Morgan

Willis1875
14-11-2022, 09:25 PM
Convenient it’s all come about once the squad has broken up for the World Cup,likely won’t ever have to face any of the people he’s criticised in the interview again,Cowardly!
His cosying up to the equally cowardly Piers Morgan is boak inducing aswell

Rumble de Thump
14-11-2022, 09:38 PM
On the radio this morning Morgan refused to tell the audience when he actually conducted the interview. It's all very contrived and disingenuous.

Hibernia&Alba
14-11-2022, 09:39 PM
Convenient it’s all come about once the squad has broken up for the World Cup,likely won’t ever have to face any of the people he’s criticised in the interview again,Cowardly!
His cosying up to the equally cowardly Piers Morgan is boak inducing aswell

But perhaps the timing was to spare his friends at the club, and especially the fans, the circus of all of this during fixtures. Had we wanted to completely destroy everything, he could have. This way there is no football for about five weeks, and he will be gone when it resumes.

As a Man United fan, I'm just saddened it has come to this. It's a shame when relationships break down to such a degree. He will always be a United legend; time will heal the wounds and his place in the history of the game is assured. Both parties will recover, but it's sad it ends like this.

shetlandhibee
14-11-2022, 10:04 PM
lot of folk just writing him of as past it? this is a guy that has scored 20 plus goals in his previous 12! seasons across the top leagues in the world to suddenly be a bit part squad player? i think he has every right to feel disrespected after scoring ano 20 plus goals in a poor utd team last season. after missing the pre season tour because his daughter had to go into hospital( 3 and a half months after he lost a child) he was frozen out, he felt unsupported by the club and more details will come out in the interviews ,folk are entitled to there opinions but folk on here and some on tv are way of the mark suggesting he finished and he,ll be going to the US or china or the middle east to wind down his career for a last big pay packet, are way off IMHO , he dosent need the £ all that fuels him is scoring goals and breaking records he will( wherever it is) be scoring champions league goals again next season , and i wouldnt bet on Portugal not going far(with Ronaldo playing every match)in the world cup either :agree:

shetlandhibee
14-11-2022, 10:07 PM
He probably like to avoid the US if he could...
absolute drivel lol

Sir David Gray
14-11-2022, 10:18 PM
Very sad end to a brilliant partnership, Ronaldo will always be inextricably linked to Manchester Utd and Manchester Utd will always be known as the club that launched Ronaldo to legendary status within the game.

No-one can justify what Ronaldo has said in this interview and Erik Ten Hag has dealt with this in the correct way. Ronaldo is finished as a Manchester Utd player, he has ensured that will be the case during this interview, and beyond the World Cup it remains to be seen how much longer his illustrious career will run before coming to an end.

Love him or loathe him Cristiano Ronaldo is arguably the greatest football player in the history of the sport and many of his records will never be broken. It didn't need to end like this and it's regrettable that it has but Manchester Utd will still be going long after Cristiano Ronaldo has hung up his boots.

No player is bigger than the club, not even a global superstar, and that's the way it should always be.

Haymaker
14-11-2022, 11:03 PM
Can he even play in the US? Wouldn't he get lifted?

That might have gone away? Remember something about it being dropped...

Donegal Hibby
14-11-2022, 11:32 PM
Lots of stories in papers about Utd looking into cancelling his contract . Rio Ferdinand has said he wants away and Utd are going to give him exactly what he wants. Another article which I think is a load of bull says some Mendes guy has spoken to Newcastle and Bayern Munich about signing him a month ago .

HoboHarry
14-11-2022, 11:50 PM
lot of folk just writing him of as past it? this is a guy that has scored 20 plus goals in his previous 12! seasons across the top leagues in the world to suddenly be a bit part squad player? i think he has every right to feel disrespected after scoring ano 20 plus goals in a poor utd team last season. after missing the pre season tour because his daughter had to go into hospital( 3 and a half months after he lost a child) he was frozen out, he felt unsupported by the club and more details will come out in the interviews ,folk are entitled to there opinions but folk on here and some on tv are way of the mark suggesting he finished and he,ll be going to the US or china or the middle east to wind down his career for a last big pay packet, are way off IMHO , he dosent need the £ all that fuels him is scoring goals and breaking records he will( wherever it is) be scoring champions league goals again next season , and i wouldnt bet on Portugal not going far(with Ronaldo playing every match)in the world cup either :agree:

You are his dad aren't ye? Im right aye? Where's ma prize?

shetlandhibee
15-11-2022, 12:33 AM
You are his dad aren't ye? Im right aye? Where's ma prize?
and you are a in the know footballing oracle arent you? you must be right aye?:spammy:> :faf:

Yorkshire HFC
15-11-2022, 04:32 AM
Why is anyone surprised that he behaves like this? It's how society has made him.

Every waking minute of his life he is told he is the greatest - the greatest ever footballer, the greatest ever Portugese citizen, the biggest ever star. Every big company wants to be linked with him. Every president and PM wants to meet him. Every movie company wants to make a movie about him. Every time he turns on the internet he reads about how great he is. Women want to be with him. He gets cheered everywhere ho goes. He earns millions of pounds every single day and he can literally do whatever he wants - because that's what society has made him. We choose our Gods.

And now football fans are turning against him - it's off the irony scale.

Tyler Durden
15-11-2022, 06:19 AM
But perhaps the timing was to spare his friends at the club, and especially the fans, the circus of all of this during fixtures. Had we wanted to completely destroy everything, he could have. This way there is no football for about five weeks, and he will be gone when it resumes.

As a Man United fan, I'm just saddened it has come to this. It's a shame when relationships break down to such a degree. He will always be a United legend; time will heal the wounds and his place in the history of the game is assured. Both parties will recover, but it's sad it ends like this.

Hasn’t shown any consideration for his Portugal team mates who have to deal with this circus every day when they should be focusing on a WC.

I'm Spartacus
15-11-2022, 07:34 AM
The Bruno Fernandes clip of them meeting in the dressing room is a beauty, so so awkward and frosty.

I wonder how long until a new claim surfaces about him being a complete beast.

I wonder what Sir Alex and Keane are thinking, huge defenders of him but neither would accept that in their own dressing room. Neville now has free reign to go to town on him given the latest comments on GN and Rooney again.

Swedish hibee
15-11-2022, 07:45 AM
The greats throughout history in sport play by their own rules, and the world cup is now his stage.

Aldo
15-11-2022, 08:18 AM
A case of the tail wagging the dog!

For all his greatness and years of outstanding football he has thrown the rattle out the pram and stabbed the club he says he loves in the back!

Petulant childlike behaviour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
15-11-2022, 09:01 AM
The Bruno Fernandes clip of them meeting in the dressing room is a beauty, so so awkward and frosty.

I wonder how long until a new claim surfaces about him being a complete beast.

I wonder what Sir Alex and Keane are thinking, huge defenders of him but neither would accept that in their own dressing room. Neville now has free reign to go to town on him given the latest comments on GN and Rooney again.

Keane was defending him to the hilt a few weeks back.

Telling all to Piers Morgan.....honestly. Sad to see him end up like this.

Allant1981
15-11-2022, 09:34 AM
absolute drivel lol

What top team wanted to sign him in the summer? No other top team are going to pay his massive wages so he either accepts that or likely won't play for another elite club

Scouse Hibee
15-11-2022, 09:35 AM

He doesn’t need the money but wouldn’t take a massive pay cut to leave Utd!

Pretty Boy
15-11-2022, 09:48 AM
Keane was defending him to the hilt a few weeks back.

Telling all to Piers Morgan.....honestly. Sad to see him end up like this.

Keane's own departure from United was preceded by something not completely dissimilar.

I've always thought that is why Keane is so bitter towards Ferguson. He was allowed to rule the roost for years because his performances as a player and as a captain merited it. As soon as his performances dipped and age started to catch up with him he discovered that leeway no longer existed. He thought he was different but to Fergie he was just another player who had served his usefulness.

I think there is something similar at play with Ronaldo. He looks at the man who he will always be compared to getting back to close to his best at PSG, finally getting the major international tournament monkey off his back and looking a decent bet for a good run at the WC and he doesn't like it.

supermcginn
15-11-2022, 09:54 AM

He's finished even the biggest Ronaldo fanboys can see it.

JeMeSouviens
15-11-2022, 10:00 AM
What top team wanted to sign him in the summer? No other top team are going to pay his massive wages so he either accepts that or likely won't play for another elite club

:agree:

It must have been a massive blow to him that nobody in the CL would take him in the summer. This interview is perfectly timed to make absolutely sure United will want rid in January even if it costs them £££££.

If Ron can just pull out a decent world cup and United are paying up a decent %age of his wage then he could be onto the move he's obviously absolutely desperate for. Desperate stuff all round really.

Stubbsy90+2
15-11-2022, 10:07 AM
I think there is something similar at play with Ronaldo. He looks at the man who he will always be compared to getting back to close to his best at PSG, finally getting the major international tournament monkey off his back and looking a decent bet for a good run at the WC and he doesn't like it.

This is a good example of why it’s far too early to say he’s finished etc.

Messi doesn’t press, never has, never will. Yet he’s the best player in history and is back to being outstanding for PSG. A PSG side who are top of the league and unbeaten in all competitions. PSG also have Neymar who doesn’t press all that much. Even Haaland at Man City doesn’t do all that much pressing. All these guys possess huge amounts of quality though and are a huge part of the reason their teams do so well.

If Man Utd want all 11 players pressing then he’s not suited to their team. That’s their prerogative, but by doing that they’re playing players who are massively lacking in quality simply because they’ll run about loads. If that’s the route you want to go down as a club then don’t expect any success. To get success you need quality and even now Ronaldo blows the rest of that Man Utd team out the water on that front.

shetlandhibee
15-11-2022, 12:11 PM

Messi doesn’t press, never has, never will. Yet he’s the best player in history and is back to being outstanding for PSG. A PSG side who are top of the league and unbeaten in all competitions. PSG also have Neymar who doesn’t press all that much. Even Haaland at Man City doesn’t do all that much pressing. All these guys possess huge amounts of quality though and are a huge part of the reason their teams do so well.

If Man Utd want all 11 players pressing then he’s not suited to their team. That’s their prerogative, but by doing that they’re playing players who are massively lacking in quality simply because they’ll run about loads. If that’s the route you want to go down as a club then don’t expect any success. To get success you need quality and even now Ronaldo blows the rest of that Man Utd team out the water on that front.
Good post 👌👍

The_Exile
15-11-2022, 01:20 PM

This is it for me, he's clearly still in incredible shape, he lives the life. He's still one of the best goalscorers around and why Man Utd haven't set the team up to take advantage of his patently obvious talents is beyond my comprehension. You can have all the ideas about how to play the game you want as a manager, but when you've got a player who is guaranteed to get you 30-40 goals a season if you play to his strenghts then why would you not do that? The only thing that wins football games is goals, you get **** all in the way of points for 60% possession or for a striker trying to win the ball back off the full backs.

neil7908
15-11-2022, 04:41 PM
This covers it perfectly:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/14/cristiano-has-publicly-identified-the-ronaldo-fication-of-manchester-united

cameronw-hfc
15-11-2022, 05:15 PM
One of footballs most horrible characters and most petulant. He should never have played again when the leaked docs from his rape case came out, but I doubt anyone big will touch him now.

Reason 1 of 10,000 why he will never ever be on the same level as Messi. Goalscoring? Maybe, literally everything else? Messi.

Tyler Durden
15-11-2022, 05:59 PM
This is it for me, he's clearly still in incredible shape, he lives the life. He's still one of the best goalscorers around and why Man Utd haven't set the team up to take advantage of his patently obvious talents is beyond my comprehension. You can have all the ideas about how to play the game you want as a manager, but when you've got a player who is guaranteed to get you 30-40 goals a season if you play to his strenghts then why would you not do that? The only thing that wins football games is goals, you get **** all in the way of points for 60% possession or for a striker trying to win the ball back off the full backs.

Why would anyone build their team around a 37 year old?

He would do fine at a team like City or Bayern who already have incredible teams that have been built over several years. Man Utd are trying to build a culture and a new team. Ronaldo doesn't fit into that.

heretoday
15-11-2022, 06:47 PM
What an almighty bore this story is. Great player no question but just go away please.

cameronw-hfc
15-11-2022, 08:45 PM
He's finished even the biggest Ronaldo fanboys can see it.

As an all round player he's been finished since his last few Madrid seasons. As a goalscorer he's fine I guess, but that's literally all he adds now. He doesn't create, he doesn't drop deeper, he doesn't really link play well, he's just a great goalscorer.

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-11-2022, 08:56 PM
This will have been contrived to ensure his contract is terminated. **** him, fine him the maximum and stick him with the kids for the next 6 months

Some of it is absolutely spot on in terms of how united have been managed off the field. But his comments on the manager, former team mates and how you apparently cannot criticise him are the comments of a spoilt petulant brat who doesn't like the word "no" (we've heard that before) or not being the centre of attention

On the pitch this season, he's contributed very little. Two goals vs FC Sheriff and one vs Everton is a brutal return. He's looked disinterested, not tried or style doesn't suit or probably a combination of all

I wonder how he'll react if messi wins thr WC in a little over 4 weeks...

shetlandhibee
16-11-2022, 12:29 PM
As an all round player he's been finished since his last few Madrid seasons. As a goalscorer he's fine I guess, but that's literally all he adds now. He doesn't create, he doesn't drop deeper, he doesn't really link play well, he's just a great goalscorer.

Aye your right 👌 the hardest part of the game putting the ball in the net 🥾⚽️👍

JimBHibees
16-11-2022, 03:00 PM
Hasn’t shown any consideration for his Portugal team mates who have to deal with this circus every day when they should be focusing on a WC.

Great point huge distraction

Scottie
16-11-2022, 03:58 PM
Out of Portugals game tomorrow with gastroenteritis couldn’t happen to a nicer guy :greengrin

Smartie
16-11-2022, 07:22 PM
Keane's own departure from United was preceded by something not completely dissimilar.

I've always thought that is why Keane is so bitter towards Ferguson. He was allowed to rule the roost for years because his performances as a player and as a captain merited it. As soon as his performances dipped and age started to catch up with him he discovered that leeway no longer existed. He thought he was different but to Fergie he was just another player who had served his usefulness.

It was that ruthlessness that made Ferguson the greatest of all time imo.

cameronw-hfc
16-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Aye your right 👌 the hardest part of the game putting the ball in the net 🥾⚽️👍

Missing the point. He's supposedly the "greatest", yet all he's ever really been able to do is score goals. Even at his vest he didn't get many assists, wasn't that involved in the play. He's a great poacher, but there's guys that score more than him and that's all he's good for now.

Messi is the best passer in the world, best dribbler, one of the best finishers, he actually gets himself involved despite being a similar age. All ronaldo does is pay women to keep quiet about abusing them, moan at the media and score the odd goal vs Sheriff Tiraspol etc. He's fallen so far it's hilarious, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Stubbsy90+2
16-11-2022, 07:44 PM
Missing the point. He's supposedly the "greatest", yet all he's ever really been able to do is score goals. Even at his vest he didn't get many assists, wasn't that involved in the play. He's a great poacher, but there's guys that score more than him and that's all he's good for now.

Messi is the best passer in the world, best dribbler, one of the best finishers, he actually gets himself involved despite being a similar age. All ronaldo does is pay women to keep quiet about abusing them, moan at the media and score the odd goal vs Sheriff Tiraspol etc. He's fallen so far it's hilarious, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

To say this is the biggest load of nonsense I’ve read on here would be an understatement.

“Greatest” and All he’s ever really been able to do is score goals. :faf:

cameronw-hfc
16-11-2022, 07:50 PM
To say this is the biggest load of nonsense I’ve read on here would be an understatement.

“Greatest” and All he’s ever really been able to do is score goals. :faf:

It's hyperbole to make a point, yes he's a decent passer, aye he's got the odd assist, but in comparison to those claiming to be up there as the greatest, all he keeps up with is goals. He doesn't have a fraction of the assists, he doesn't work hard nowadays, what does he do besides score the odd goal?

His goals to game ratio is lower than Messi, his mins per contribution is lower, he's over 100 less assists, if you took me saying all he does is score goals literal, I apologise, but in comparison to the man people claim he's better than, he's not even close on most stats outside of goals scored. Even then, Messi has a better goals to game ratio, more assists, if pre-assists were recorded when the two started playing he'd be miles behind on that stat too.

He's obviously a good player, but compared to what some make out, and how much fuss he causes, he's not worth it. Maybe year's ago he was, but Lewandowski scores more than him, and does more all round. Ronaldo nowadays is just a poacher, and he's not even the best in the world at that.

Stubbsy90+2
16-11-2022, 07:57 PM
It's hyperbole to make a point, yes he's a decent passer, aye he's got the odd assist, but in comparison to those claiming to be up there as the greatest, all he keeps up with is goals. He doesn't have a fraction of the assists, he doesn't work hard nowadays, what does he do besides score the odd goal?

If you have to use hyperbole to that extent to make a point then you’re not really making any sort of valid point.

He’s one of the highest assisters in football history. Reports seem to vary how many he has but everywhere seems to agree it’s in the mid 200s. Not really someone who ‘got the odd assist’, more so someone who along with being one of the best goal scorers ever, is also one of the best creative players ever on top of that, much like Messi.

I’ve also just seen the edit to your post, I’d agree that Messi is better than him. You seem to be arguing that because he’s not as good as Messi he’s simply not actually all that great though when in reality he’s justifiably in the conversation as the greatest player to play the game (although he wouldn’t get my vote). If you think he’s not been worth the hassle then that is utterly mental considering how successful his career has been.

Lewandowski also has nowhere near the goals Ronaldo has. By every possible measure Ronaldo has been miles ahead of him.

Smartie
16-11-2022, 08:10 PM

His goals to game ratio is lower than Messi, his mins per contribution is lower, he's over 100 less assists, if you took me saying all he does is score goals literal, I apologise, but in comparison to the man people claim he's better than, he's not even close on most stats outside of goals scored. Even then, Messi has a better goals to game ratio, more assists, if pre-assists were recorded when the two started playing he'd be miles behind on that stat too.

He's obviously a good player, but compared to what some make out, and how much fuss he causes, he's not worth it. Maybe year's ago he was, but Lewandowski scores more than him, and does more all round. Ronaldo nowadays is just a poacher, and he's not even the best in the world at that.

Ronaldo was an incredible player at his peak. A very rounded, very complete player with no weaknesses (apart from being a bit of a knob).

He's not that player any more but I'd argue that it is probably to his credit that he's managed to tailor his game to allow for naturally diminishing physical attributes, allowing him to make a meaningful contribution for elite clubs for as long as he has.

I can't stand him, have never really taken to him, but always respected him as a top class player. It was always stuff like being able to score from headers at corners, which he seemed to be able to do quite regularly without it being close to the kind of thing you thought he was best at that always made him stand out to me.

That and being a knob, which he has emphatically re-emphasised with this pitiful interview.

cameronw-hfc
16-11-2022, 09:48 PM
If you have to use hyperbole to that extent to make a point then you’re not really making any sort of valid point.

He’s one of the highest assisters in football history. Reports seem to vary how many he has but everywhere seems to agree it’s in the mid 200s. Not really someone who ‘got the odd assist’, more so someone who along with being one of the best goal scorers ever, is also one of the best creative players ever on top of that, much like Messi.

I’ve also just seen the edit to your post, I’d agree that Messi is better than him. You seem to be arguing that because he’s not as good as Messi he’s simply not actually all that great though when in reality he’s justifiably in the conversation as the greatest player to play the game (although he wouldn’t get my vote). If you think he’s not been worth the hassle then that is utterly mental considering how successful his career has been.

Lewandowski also has nowhere near the goals Ronaldo has. By every possible measure Ronaldo has been miles ahead of him.

Okay, so you're first point is just a load of rubbish. Hyperbole is used as a conversational tool in arguments, normal conversations and debates of all kinds, doesn't automatically make a moot point just because I've used a bit of hyperbole to make my point.

I'm not arguing he isn't great in the grand scheme of things, but as a footballer, he really isn't comparable to Messi in almost anyway. When I mean great, I mean Messi, as he's taken everything to a new level of scary good. He doesn't compare, to the rest of the world? He's great, but that's never the conversation around Ronaldo and it's just not worth stating (or so I thought) that he's better than most.

Again, be selective about how you counter my points. I mentioned Lewandowski as I said in recent years Ronaldo is a poacher, and that's it. Comparing his last year or two to Lewandowski as they're both pure goal scorers at this point in their career, and I meant Ronaldo isn't even the best pure goalscorer in the world now. I wasn't saying they were comparable throughout their careers, I was meaning as he's progressed to a similar style of player, ie, a poacher.

And when I said he's not worth it, of course I didn't mean the scary ronaldo - Messi barca vs real era, I mean now. Now all you get is a petulant woman abuser that moans to the media because HE won't adapt his game to fit a new manager, instead he kicks up a stink whilst not even doing amazing when he gets on the pitch.

If you change his name from Ronaldo and ask if he's been worth it the last 2 seasons, it would be no. But because he's ronaldo people will argue it, when in reality he's one of the reasons UTD are rotten. Characters like him in the dressing room whilst not actually doing it on the pitch, UTD look massively better whenever he's not in the team, yet all he does is moan and act like a 5 year old, that isn't worth it.

Allant1981
17-11-2022, 04:55 AM

Does he not have over 250 assists in his career? That suggests he was highly involved in build up play does it not? You clearly don't like the guy which is fine but you surely can't deny he is one of the best players to have ever played the game, even last season in a really crap utd team he was their top goal scorer, if we had someone that only scored 20+ goals every season I'd be loving it

Stubbsy90+2
17-11-2022, 06:35 AM
Okay, so you're first point is just a load of rubbish. Hyperbole is used as a conversational tool in arguments, normal conversations and debates of all kinds, doesn't automatically make a moot point just because I've used a bit of hyperbole to make my point.

I'm not arguing he isn't great in the grand scheme of things, but as a footballer, he really isn't comparable to Messi in almost anyway. When I mean great, I mean Messi, as he's taken everything to a new level of scary good. He doesn't compare, to the rest of the world? He's great, but that's never the conversation around Ronaldo and it's just not worth stating (or so I thought) that he's better than most.

Again, be selective about how you counter my points. I mentioned Lewandowski as I said in recent years Ronaldo is a poacher, and that's it. Comparing his last year or two to Lewandowski as they're both pure goal scorers at this point in their career, and I meant Ronaldo isn't even the best pure goalscorer in the world now. I wasn't saying they were comparable throughout their careers, I was meaning as he's progressed to a similar style of player, ie, a poacher.

And when I said he's not worth it, of course I didn't mean the scary ronaldo - Messi barca vs real era, I mean now. Now all you get is a petulant woman abuser that moans to the media because HE won't adapt his game to fit a new manager, instead he kicks up a stink whilst not even doing amazing when he gets on the pitch.

If you change his name from Ronaldo and ask if he's been worth it the last 2 seasons, it would be no. But because he's ronaldo people will argue it, when in reality he's one of the reasons UTD are rotten. Characters like him in the dressing room whilst not actually doing it on the pitch, UTD look massively better whenever he's not in the team, yet all he does is moan and act like a 5 year old, that isn't worth it.

You used hyperbole to suggest a guy who has more assists than near enough everyone that has ever played the game doesn’t get many assists. When you use hyperbole to that extent, it really does invalidate your point.

You obviously don’t like Ronaldo and that’s fine but some of your comments have been laughable. You now seem to be backtracking to say that everything you’ve mentioned is in comparison to Messi. If that’s the standard you’re holding players to then I can only think how crap you think everybody else is.

Callum_62
17-11-2022, 07:03 AM
You now seem to be backtracking to say that everything you’ve mentioned is in comparison to Messi. If that’s the standard you’re holding players to then I can only think how crap you think everybody else is.

Love to know his thoughts on Joe Newell.

[emoji23][emoji24]

BoomtownHibees
17-11-2022, 07:42 AM
all he's ever really been able to do is score goals. Even at his vest he didn't get many assists, wasn't that involved in the play

Some take this is

Hibernian Verse
17-11-2022, 09:21 AM
Ronaldo has the 2nd most assists in the 21st century. Hardly a poor return.

Messi is 1st.

shetlandhibee
17-11-2022, 09:44 AM
You used hyperbole to suggest a guy who has more assists than near enough everyone that has ever played the game doesn’t get many assists. When you use hyperbole to that extent, it really does invalidate your point.

You obviously don’t like Ronaldo and that’s fine but some of your comments have been laughable. You now seem to be backtracking to say that everything you’ve mentioned is in comparison to Messi. If that’s the standard you’re holding players to then I can only think how crap you think everybody else is. spot on 👌 laughable some comments on here?
🤣

CyberSauzee
17-11-2022, 08:18 PM
Don't suppose Morgan asked him about rape allegations in Las Vegas?

https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/cristiano-ronaldo-new-documents-emerge-in-rape-allegations-a-1241349.html

cameronw-hfc
18-11-2022, 08:18 AM

You obviously don’t like Ronaldo and that’s fine but some of your comments have been laughable. You now seem to be backtracking to say that everything you’ve mentioned is in comparison to Messi. If that’s the standard you’re holding players to then I can only think how crap you think everybody else is.

Ah, yeah because comparing Ronaldo to Messi means I hold every player to that standard. Compared to everyone else? Aye, he's class. Compared to the one man you can actually compare him to? All he does is score. Messi does everything better, and don't pretend like the comparison with Ronaldo isn't ALWAYS with Messi. If I was comparing him to the likes of Sterling or Grealish, he'd obviously win in every category, but that's just pointless. Him and Messi are the only two you can compare them to, and in terms of his whole being the greatest, he isn't even close, as the man he's compared to can do literally everything better besides score goals.

Differing opinions aye, but I wasn't the one who started mocking opinions and making asinine statements about hyperbole = invalid point, when you've taken my statements as him vs everyone else, which obviously makes it look stupid.

If you take them in comparison to Messi, I'm right on every single one I've made. He doesn't create half as much, he doesn't offer much else other than goals, he's known for being a petty brat in the dressing room, he's not on the same planet never mind close to him ability wise. Nowadays he does literally nothing besides score. You keep reading my posts as if I'm comparing him to Joe Newell and you'll always find a way to ridicule, I'll keep comparing him to Messi for the fair comparison.

Never understood the love fest with defending rapists anyway.

Stubbsy90+2
18-11-2022, 08:39 AM
Ah, yeah because comparing Ronaldo to Messi means I hold every player to that standard. Compared to everyone else? Aye, he's class. Compared to the one man you can actually compare him to? All he does is score. Messi does everything better, and don't pretend like the comparison with Ronaldo isn't ALWAYS with Messi. If I was comparing him to the likes of Sterling or Grealish, he'd obviously win in every category, but that's just pointless. Him and Messi are the only two you can compare them to, and in terms of his whole being the greatest, he isn't even close, as the man he's compared to can do literally everything better besides score goals.

Differing opinions aye, but I wasn't the one who started mocking opinions and making asinine statements about hyperbole = invalid point, when you've taken my statements as him vs everyone else, which obviously makes it look stupid.

If you take them in comparison to Messi, I'm right on every single one I've made. He doesn't create half as much, he doesn't offer much else other than goals, he's known for being a petty brat in the dressing room, he's not on the same planet never mind close to him ability wise. Nowadays he does literally nothing besides score. You keep reading my posts as if I'm comparing him to Joe Newell and you'll always find a way to ridicule, I'll keep comparing him to Messi for the fair comparison.

:faf:

Incredible stuff.

Your opinion deserves mocked when it says that someone who has more assists than near enough everyone that’s ever played football ‘doesn’t really get any assists’ and that one of the greatest all round players to play the game only really scores goals and is ‘nothing but a poacher’.

And whether he’s a rapist or not has nothing to do with his ability as a footballer. But I’m sure you know that.

The desperation from some to not just enjoy potentially the two best players the world has ever seen playing and competing against each other and ludicrously claiming whatever one they like less is infact pretty **** is laughable.

Wonder if people used to claim Cruyff etc were pish and didn’t really do much because they weren’t quite as good as Maradona.

Rumble de Thump
18-11-2022, 08:48 AM

Incredible stuff.

Your opinion deserves mocked when it says that someone who has more assists than near enough everyone that’s ever played football ‘doesn’t really get any assists’ and that one of the greatest all round players to play the game only really scores goals and is ‘nothing but a poacher’.

And whether he’s a rapist or not has nothing to do with his ability as a footballer. But I’m sure you know that.

The desperation from some to not just enjoy potentially the two best players the world has ever seen playing and competing against each other and ludicrously claiming whatever one they like less is actually **** is laughable.

Wonder if people used to claim Cruyff etc were pish and didn’t really do much because they weren’t quite as good as Maradona.

That's some staggering hyperbole from you.

Pagan Hibernia
18-11-2022, 09:11 AM

sounds like most of us including you agree then that Ronaldo is one of the greatest players ever to play the game.

glad that’s been cleared up.

sauzeelegod
18-11-2022, 09:29 AM

Agree totally.
Ronaldo is a great player but Messi is an absolute joy to watch.
Makes the game of football beautiful.
A very sad day when he packs it in and we don’t get to see him again.
It’s been an absolute pleasure watching him all these years.

cameronw-hfc
18-11-2022, 07:28 PM

Incredible stuff.

The desperation from some to not just enjoy potentially the two best players the world has ever seen playing and competing against each other and ludicrously claiming whatever one they like less is infact pretty **** is laughable.

Again, stop being a pr*ck about it. It's a footballer you've never met, will never know you're defending him, and hes a rapist, yet here you are mocking my opinion on him. Small mentality you must have. I've remained pretty civil, didn't mock any of your takes, I gave my opinion and hoped for a civil debate with other Hibs fans. Idiots like you acting like everything you don't agree with is completely unreasonable rather than just accepting we have a different opinion is the problem, not because I "deserve" to be mocked for having a different opinion, one I've given my reasons for as well and tried to explain, again, to you just laughing at me.

Again, I'll say it in caps because you seem incapable of using context, HE'S A POACHER IN COMPARISON TO MESSI. HE DOES NOTHING BESIDES SCORE....COMPARED TO MESSI.

I've already said compared to most he blows them out the water, but if you wanna keep being a d*ick about this and leaning out half of the context in order to post more laughing emojis instead of just having a decent debate, I'm not interested anymore. Can argue with yourself after this. Would be happy to continue a civil debate without mocking with anyone else wanting to, but I've tried to be reasonable and put my point across, you've got that triggered for another grown man you've decided to resort to being unlikeable over this.

Have a good night 👍

Stubbsy90+2
18-11-2022, 08:01 PM
Again, stop being a pr*ck about it. It's a footballer you've never met, will never know you're defending him, and hes a rapist, yet here you are mocking my opinion on him. Small mentality you must have. I've remained pretty civil, didn't mock any of your takes, I gave my opinion and hoped for a civil debate with other Hibs fans. Idiots like you acting like everything you don't agree with is completely unreasonable rather than just accepting we have a different opinion is the problem, not because I "deserve" to be mocked for having a different opinion, one I've given my reasons for as well and tried to explain, again, to you just laughing at me.

Again, I'll say it in caps because you seem incapable of using context, HE'S A POACHER IN COMPARISON TO MESSI. HE DOES NOTHING BESIDES SCORE....COMPARED TO MESSI.

I've already said compared to most he blows them out the water, but if you wanna keep being a d*ick about this and leaning out half of the context in order to post more laughing emojis instead of just having a decent debate, I'm not interested anymore. Can argue with yourself after this. Would be happy to continue a civil debate without mocking with anyone else wanting to, but I've tried to be reasonable and put my point across, you've got that triggered for another grown man you've decided to resort to being unlikeable over this.

Have a good night 👍

“ Missing the point. He's supposedly the "greatest", yet all he's ever really been able to do is score goals. Even at his vest he didn't get many assists, wasn't that involved in the play. He's a great poacher, but there's guys that score more than him and that's all he's good for now.”

That was your comment that started this. That’s not a comparison to Messi, it’s a ludicrous take that you’ve tried to backtrack into only being in comparison to Messi.

You’ve claimed your comments are in comparison to Messi as he’s the only one worth comparing him to yet you’re also comparing Lewandowski when it suits your argument. You’ve tied yourself in knots trying to back up your statements.

You can claim that your comments were in comparison to Messi all you like. That paragraph quite blatantly isn’t.

MWHIBBIES
18-11-2022, 08:21 PM

Have a good night ��

You're still talking rubbish, tbh. Ronaldo is probably the most complete forward ever. Both feet, headers, assists, goals, fast, strong. Absolutely nothing he cant do.

Messi is the better player, but there really isn't much between them. Purely down to personal choice. Nothing else. No real argument for either one that really makes much difference. Its not like comparing Messi to someone he clearly dominates in all aspects like Maradona or George Best.

He is a rapist, though. horrible creature.

pacorosssco
18-11-2022, 08:25 PM
The Brazilian Ronaldo at his peak was the unplayable cf

MWHIBBIES
18-11-2022, 11:36 PM
The Brazilian Ronaldo at his peak was the unplayable cf

No doubt about that. Brilliant player. But never had anything like the length at the top that Messi and Ronaldo did. Injuries probably the major thing, but he was finished in European football at 30. Cristiano Ronaldo has scored over 300 goals since turning 30.

HibeeHibernia
19-11-2022, 04:43 AM
Brilliant watch this, Simon Jordan wipes the floor with that idiot Piers Morgan about this interview > Things get HEATED! 🔥 Simon Jordan vs Piers Morgan on the Ronaldo interview is a MUST watch 👀 - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2wrDwD0QNs)

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2wrDwD0QNs)

BILLYHIBS
22-11-2022, 04:40 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo has mutually agreed to leave Manchester United with immediate effect

BBC Sport

Greencore
22-11-2022, 04:42 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo has mutually agreed to leave Manchester United with immediate effect

BBC Sport

On his way to hibs.

Irish_Steve
22-11-2022, 04:53 PM
Ron and Ronaldo, what’s not to like lol

Stubbsy90+2
22-11-2022, 04:56 PM
No surprise there.

Will be interesting to see how Portugal do at the WC. If they win it I think he’ll retire (I know he’s already said that but I think this gives the idea a bit more credence).

Would love to see him go to PSG.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2022, 05:00 PM
Sad way for it to end but Manchester Utd had no option after he said what he did in that interview.

I know Ronaldo might come close to testing this theory but no player is bigger than any football club.

Hibeesforever
22-11-2022, 05:02 PM
Don't suppose we will hear whether Ronaldo had his contract fully paid up...presume a compromise was found.

Haymaker
22-11-2022, 05:05 PM
Imagine him and Griffiths up top for Hibs...

Irish_Steve
22-11-2022, 05:19 PM
Imagine him and Griffiths up top for Hibs...

How would we tell them apart???

SteveHFC
22-11-2022, 05:20 PM
On his way to hibs.

He’s too old for us.

Brummie_Hibs
22-11-2022, 05:24 PM
Ron and Ronaldo, what’s not to like lol
We could rename all the kiosks McRonalds

Irish_Steve
22-11-2022, 05:26 PM
We could rename all the kiosks McRonalds

Or The Two Ronnies, sounds catchy

J-C
22-11-2022, 05:46 PM
Huge wage at United and probably causing disruption in the dressing room, did they not try and punt him in the summer but had no takers.

HoboHarry
22-11-2022, 05:48 PM
Can an unattached player play in the world cup? I don't know the answer, just curious? Or is he "technically" still under contract until January?

J-C
22-11-2022, 05:50 PM
Can an unattached player play in the world cup? I don't know the answer, just curious? Or is he "technically" still under contract until January?

He'll probably still be contracted until he gets back from it.

Sir David Gray
22-11-2022, 05:58 PM

Yes an unattached player can play for their national team.

Hibernia&Alba
22-11-2022, 08:39 PM
Sad way for it to end but Manchester Utd had no option after he said what he did in that interview.

I know Ronaldo might come close to testing this theory but no player is bigger than any football club.

Yes, it's very sad it ends like this for a club legend who is one of the greatest players the game has seen. He will always be welcome at Old Trafford; he called out the Glazer ownership, and credit to him. I have no problem with him, as a United fan.

Donegal Hibby
22-11-2022, 09:01 PM
Yes, it's very sad it ends like this for a club legend who is one of the greatest players the game has seen. He will always be welcome at Old Trafford; he called out the Glazer ownership, and credit to him. I have no problem with him, as a United fan.
As a United fan do you think some of what he said might be true though ? I know btw he shouldn't have came out publicly about it and that was out of order , just asking your opinion like.

Hibernia&Alba
22-11-2022, 09:13 PM
As a United fan do you think some of what he said might be true though ? I know btw he shouldn't have came out publicly about it and that was out of order , just asking your opinion like.

Oh yes, what he said about the lack of progress in relation to club infrastructure and stadium under Glazer ownership is completely accurate.

Donegal Hibby
22-11-2022, 09:23 PM
Oh yes, what he said about the lack of progress in relation to club infrastructure and stadium under Glazer ownership is completely accurate.
I was pretty surprised when he said that nothing had really progressed or improved at the clubs infrastructure and stadium since his first time there which was something like a 12 year gap isn't it ? Not having a pop but that's absolutely mental for a club of Man U's stature .

Hibernia&Alba
22-11-2022, 09:37 PM
I was pretty surprised when he said that nothing had really progressed or improved at the clubs infrastructure and stadium since his first time there which was something like a 12 year gap isn't it ? Not having a pop but that's absolutely mental for a club of Man U's stature .

Yes, the Glazers haven't put in a penny of their own money since 2005. Everything has been funded by club revenue whilst they have taken out hundreds of millions in Glazer debt repayments and dividends to themselves. It's criminal.

neil7908
22-11-2022, 10:01 PM
Yes, the Glazers haven't put in a penny of their own money since 2005. Everything has been funded by club revenue whilst they have taken out hundreds of millions in Glazer debt repayments and dividends to themselves. It's criminal.

And now the Glazers come out and say they are selling. Surely not a coincidence?

Weird as the club definitely making it look like Ronaldo has been the catalyst for this change, despite the club also binning him on the same day.

Very odd.

McD
23-11-2022, 05:36 AM
Don't suppose we will hear whether Ronaldo had his contract fully paid up...presume a compromise was found.

rumours were that United have a good relationship with his agent, and were pushing the agent to get Reinaldo to accept a severance of contract with nothing paid up, if he didn’t they were prepared to sue him based on the interview. Just something I read, no idea how solid it is

McD
23-11-2022, 05:37 AM
Yes an unattached player can play for their national team.

can’t remember his name but a Welsh forward played in an international tournament without having a club contract, think he’d just left West Brom

McD
23-11-2022, 05:42 AM

gary Neville called this out a few months ago as well, said after a match on sky that old Trafford had been left to deteriorate, think his words were along the lines of they had one of the best stadiums in the world, now it had went backwards as other clubs had kept investing whilst the glazers hadn’t done anything to the stadium

JimBHibees
23-11-2022, 06:00 AM
can’t remember his name but a Welsh forward played in an international tournament without having a club contract, think he’d just left West Brom

Robson Kanu

J-C
23-11-2022, 08:55 AM
Man U have regressed terribly since Fergie, the Glaziers are only interested in money, United are a huge world wide money making machine.

Smartie
23-11-2022, 10:19 AM
Man U have regressed terribly since Fergie, the Glaziers are only interested in money, United are a huge world wide money making machine.

The Glazers are parasites who suck that money out of that club.

I've no great love for Man Utd but they were never going to be able to punch their considerable weight whilst carrying those parasites.

It'll be interesting to see what happens from here and whether or not they can get back to being successful again.

J-C
23-11-2022, 10:38 AM
The Glazers are parasites who suck that money out of that club.

I've no great love for Man Utd but they were never going to be able to punch their considerable weight whilst carrying those parasites.

It'll be interesting to see what happens from here and whether or not they can get back to being successful again.

If you look at the quality bought by United, players like Maguire, Wan Basaka and many more, they're buying mid table players for way too much money, the whole infrastructure needs changing.

Donegal Hibby
24-11-2022, 11:51 AM
Two articles in papers today first ones on about Ronaldo moving from Europe to sign for some Saudi club and 2nd ones about a bid for Man United

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1700957/Cristiano-Ronaldo-next-club-Al-Nassr-Saudi-Arabia-Newcastle-Man-Utd-transfer-news
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1700887/Apple-interested-Man-Utd-takeover-the-Glazers

Greenio
24-11-2022, 12:52 PM
Daily Star saying Apple guna buy man UTD!

Heard it there first!

Stubbsy90+2
24-11-2022, 01:21 PM
Daily Star saying Apple guna buy man UTD!

Heard it there first!

The badge will be sold separately to the strip.

CropleyWasGod
24-11-2022, 01:27 PM
The badge will be sold separately to the strip.

:greengrin

But you won't be able to fit a non-Apple badge to the strip.

McD
24-11-2022, 01:36 PM
Robson Kanu

Thank you :aok:

Hibbyradge
24-11-2022, 05:19 PM
Ronaldo has now scored at 5 world cups and is Portugal's youngest and oldest goal scorer.

BILLYHIBS
24-11-2022, 07:04 PM
Some man for records

Pretty sure he is the only player to score a goal in every minute of the ninety

Wonder if he fancies a Scottish Cup winners medal with the Hibs ?

cameronw-hfc
24-11-2022, 08:54 PM
https://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/cristiano-ronaldo-new-documents-emerge-in-rape-allegations-a-1241349.html

Old article, but pretty vulgar reading.

For anyone not wanting to read the whole thing, here's a passage.

She didn't want to 'give it to me,' instead she jerked me off. I don't know any more exactly what she said when she was jerking me off. But she kept saying no. 'Don't do it' -- 'I'm not like the others.' I apologized afterwards."

"She said no and stop several times."

He then changed the story to claim she didn't say anything. He's no better than the likes of Greenwood etc yet people still fawn over him, bizarre.

Stubbsy90+2
24-11-2022, 09:18 PM
A quite incredible record scoring at 5 World Cups :agree:

Hulk0762
24-11-2022, 09:23 PM
Some man for records

Pretty sure he is the only player to score a goal in every minute of the ninety

Wonder if he fancies a Scottish Cup winners medal with the Hibs ?

Think Zlatan Ibrahimovic has done this but not 100% sure

BILLYHIBS
24-11-2022, 10:34 PM
Think Zlatan Ibrahimovic has done this but not 100% sure
Correct

Only two

Every day is a school day

hibby rae
25-11-2022, 07:53 AM

She didn't want to 'give it to me,' instead she jerked me off. I don't know any more exactly what she said when she was jerking me off. But she kept saying no. 'Don't do it' -- 'I'm not like the others.' I apologized afterwards."

He then changed the story to claim she didn't say anything. He's no better than the likes of Greenwood etc yet people still fawn over him, bizarre.

It's pretty sickening how many, especially in the media, ignored this.

HibeeHibernia
25-11-2022, 08:04 AM
Thierry Henry was ten times the player Ronaldo will ever be

Since452
25-11-2022, 08:22 AM

Come on, you don't really think that do you? Almost three times as many career goals. Five more Ballon d'Ors and five more European cup winners medals. Henry was phenomenal for Arsenal but he's a level below both Ronaldo and Messi.

Stubbsy90+2
25-11-2022, 08:27 AM
Come on, you don't really think that do you? Almost three times as many career goals. Five more Ballon d'Ors and five more European cup winners medals. Henry was phenomenal for Arsenal but he's a level below both Ronaldo and Messi.

Henry was my favourite player ever growing up but he was nowhere near the level of Messi or Ronaldo imo.

HibsGW
25-11-2022, 08:48 AM

So is Martin Boyle

Fergus52
25-11-2022, 09:35 AM
It's pretty sickening how many, especially in the media, ignored this.

Gary Linker especially was a complete hypocrite about it, when the story got released he was tweeting about how the victim can't be ignored just because the offence was done by a footballing idol and that it shouldn't be sportswashed etc.

Then as soon as he signs for Man utd it's completely forgotten and he starts fawning over how fantastic it is to have one of the all time greats back in the prem.

Probably more disgusting than the pundits who just ignored it.

Shows you can get away with anything when you're rich enough.

HibeeHibernia
25-11-2022, 12:02 PM

henry was technically one of the best players to ever play the game he's certainly better than him to say he is a level below them is hilarious and very very wrong imo mate. Messi and Ronaldo aren't dominating henry and zidanes era lets put it that way they are only looked on as the best and are breaking the records they've broken because the game has never been easier to play it's literally a non contact sport.

HibeeHibernia
25-11-2022, 12:04 PM
So is Martin Boyle

so is susan boyle

cameronw-hfc
25-11-2022, 04:38 PM
Gary Linker especially was a complete hypocrite about it, when the story got released he was tweeting about how the victim can't be ignored just because the offence was done by a footballing idol and that it shouldn't be sportswashed etc.

Then as soon as he signs for Man utd it's completely forgotten and he starts fawning over how fantastic it is to have one of the all time greats back in the prem.

Probably more disgusting than the pundits who just ignored it.

Shows you can get away with anything when you're rich enough.

Pundits and fans alike. Too many fawning over a guy who in his own words forced someone to have sex, blatant rapist. His whole "she said no but I know she wanted it" is vile, but he scores a few goals so it's all forgotten about.

McD
25-11-2022, 08:06 PM
henry was technically one of the best players to ever play the game he's certainly better than him to say he is a level below them is hilarious and very very wrong imo mate. Messi and Ronaldo aren't dominating henry and zidanes era lets put it that way they are only looked on as the best and are breaking the records they've broken because the game has never been easier to play it's literally a non contact sport.

the key part of what you’ve said is “imo”. Just as it’s other peoples opinion that Henry isn’t on the same level as Messi or Ronaldo.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 02:23 AM
the key part of what you’ve said is “imo”. Just as it’s other peoples opinion that Henry isn’t on the same level as Messi or Ronaldo.

it is all about opinions but if you don't think thierry henry is on the same level as messi and ronaldo you really don't know much about football.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2022, 03:49 AM

Game is harder than it has ever been. Good defenders don't need to touch you to win the ball anyway. Such a dreadful take. Henry was brilliant, world class. Messi would still dominate an era with Henry in it. He did tbh. Henry and him played together. Messi was much the better player.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 05:39 AM
Game is harder than it has ever been. Good defenders don't need to touch you to win the ball anyway. Such a dreadful take. Henry was brilliant, world class. Messi would still dominate an era with Henry in it. He did tbh. Henry and him played together. Messi was much the better player.

Lot less quality around these days especially defensively. No he wouldn't. Messi wouldn't have dominated that era. he played with henry when he was coming to the end of his career Haha prime henry was one of the best strikers to ever play the game, ronaldo isn't even the best ronaldo to play the game.

McD
26-11-2022, 07:01 AM
it is all about opinions but if you don't think thierry henry is on the same level as messi and ronaldo you really don't know much about football.

It’s all about opinions but you'll be rude about anyone who has a different one to you…okay then

I’m sure plenty people will think you don’t know much about football either when you’re being so dismissive of 2 players who are universally accepted as 2 of the greatest of all time

easty
26-11-2022, 07:18 AM

No. You’re wrong.

I reckon Henry would even say you’re wrong.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2022, 07:18 AM
Lot less quality around these days especially defensively. No he wouldn't. Messi wouldn't have dominated that era. he played with henry when he was coming to the end of his career Haha prime henry was one of the best strikers to ever play the game, ronaldo isn't even the best ronaldo to play the game.

Ah right. Sorry. Why was Henry coming to the end of his career at 29 but Messi was scoring 40 goals a season into his 30s?

There isn't less quality defensively now. That's just daft. Messi has played against world class defenders for his whole career. He's played and scored against the likes of Nesta, Thiago Silva, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Barzagli, Chiellini, Varane, Boateng, Hummels, Ferdinand, Vidic. All world class defenders.

Prime Henry was absolutely brilliant. Messi and Ronaldo beat him on every metric.

neil7908
26-11-2022, 07:57 AM

Absolutely disgusting. He's a beast.

JimBHibees
26-11-2022, 09:12 AM

Great player as he was he clearly wasn't as good as the other two.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 09:27 AM
Ah right. Sorry. Why was Henry coming to the end of his career at 29 but Messi was scoring 40 goals a season into his 30s?

There isn't less quality defensively now. That's just daft. Messi has played against world class defenders for his whole career. He's played and scored against the likes of Nesta, Thiago Silva, Sergio Ramos, Pepe, Barzagli, Chiellini, Varane, Boateng, Hummels, Ferdinand, Vidic. All world class defenders.

Prime Henry was absolutely brilliant. Messi and Ronaldo beat him on every metric.

Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are not technically better at football than Thierry Henry mate. Who's the best defenders in the world the now? Van Dyke, Ramos? that's the only two I can think of. The only reason these two have lasted as long as they have without sustaining any serious injuries is because the sport of football is literally a non contact sport these days and has been for a good ten years of their career. I wouldn't say pepe was world class but each to their own mate.

JimBHibees
26-11-2022, 09:29 AM
Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are not technically better at football than Thierry Henry mate. Who's the best defenders in the world the now? Van Dyke, Ramos? that's the only two I can think of. The only reason these two have lasted as long as they have without sustaining any serious injuries is because the sport of football is literally a non contact sport these days and has been for a good ten years of their career. I wouldn't say pepe was world class but each to their own mate.

Messi absolutely is technically better by miles

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 09:29 AM
Great player as he was he clearly wasn't as good as the other two.

Each to their own mate I personally don't believe either the two of them are technically better at football than him

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 09:30 AM
Messi absolutely is technically better by miles

he's only good with one foot, put messi in a team of bang average players and he's nowhere to be found.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 09:33 AM
It’s all about opinions but you'll be rude about anyone who has a different one to you…okay then

I’m sure plenty people will think you don’t know much about football either when you’re being so dismissive of 2 players who are universally accepted as 2 of the greatest of all time

Didn't mean to come across as a cheeky runt mate my apologies :aok: aye you are spot on at the end of the day it is all about opinions.

JimBHibees
26-11-2022, 09:33 AM
he's only good with one foot, put messi in a team of bang average players and he's nowhere to be found.

:faf::faf:

bigwheel
26-11-2022, 09:35 AM
All these players mentioned are absolutely top of the tree brilliant ! Why bother arguing who’s best..or worse , trying to suggest they aren’t great …let’s just accept we have been fortunate to see some real world class legends in our time

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 09:39 AM
All these players mentioned are absolutely top of the tree brilliant ! Why bother arguing who’s best..or worse , trying to suggest they aren’t great …let’s just accept we have been fortunate to see some real world class legends in our time

it's suhin to dae mate, it'll be a long 3 weeks on here :hilarious

marinello59
26-11-2022, 09:40 AM

:agree:

Having Renaldo and Messi playing the bulk of their careers at the same time has been superb.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 09:40 AM
:faf::faf:

:hilarious henry has a world cup winners medal that's all am saying mate

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2022, 09:52 AM

You're embarrassing yourself a bit now.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 09:57 AM
You're embarrassing yourself a bit now.

We all do from time to time mate

Allant1981
26-11-2022, 10:11 AM

And how would you know this, he is that good that he has never had to play with average players, starting to talk nonsense now

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 11:19 AM
And how would you know this, he is that good that he has never had to play with average players, starting to talk nonsense now

he's hardly done anything with Argentina and compared to the barcelona team he scored most his goals with I would say they were average.

Stubbsy90+2
26-11-2022, 11:21 AM
:hilarious henry has a world cup winners medal that's all am saying mate

So does Roque Junior.

Stubbsy90+2
26-11-2022, 11:22 AM
he's hardly done anything with Argentina and compared to the barcelona team he scored most his goals with I would say they were average.

You’re trolling now.

He’s won one of the only two trophies he can win with them and is their record goalscorer. Got to a World Cup final with them getting player of the tournament in the process. Short of winning a World Cup which he came desperately close to he couldn’t have done anymore.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 11:24 AM
You’re trolling now.

He’s won one of the only two trophies he can win with them and is their record goalscorer.

I'm giving my opinion. My main point is he has done nothing at a world cup and will continue to do nothing as without the global superstars around him he fails to perform on the biggest stage of all time and time again.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 11:27 AM
So does Roque Junior.

that's because he played in the same team as the greatest ronaldo to ever play the game.

Stubbsy90+2
26-11-2022, 12:06 PM
I'm giving my opinion. My main point is he has done nothing at a world cup and will continue to do nothing as without the global superstars around him he fails to perform on the biggest stage of all time and time again.

He won player of the tournament at a World Cup getting to the final in the process. He’s scored in 4 different World Cups, only Ronaldo has ever managed more. So not really “done nothing at a World Cup”.

As for failing to perform on the biggest stage time and time again, he’s won more trophies than pretty much every footballer in history. He’s scored more goals in cup finals than pretty much every player in history. He’s scored more goals in the biggest fixture in football (El Classico) than any player in history.

You say it’s your opinion but your opinion is backed up by things that are completely incorrect.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2022, 12:07 PM

So only the world cup counts? Not his 4 CL winners medals?

He's scored 93 goals for Argentina. He has performed extremely well. He won the Copa America with them. He took Argentina to a world cup final. He's scored in 4 world cups.

Honestly man, you're just lying. This isn't an opinion. It can be proven wrong very easily. You're talking utter rubbish..

Pedantic_Hibee
26-11-2022, 12:30 PM
Another thread ruined.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 12:47 PM
He won player of the tournament at a World Cup getting to the final in the process. So not really “done nothing at a World Cup”.

As for failing to perform on the biggest stage time and time again, he’s won more trophies than pretty much every footballer in history.

You say it’s your opinion but your opinion is backed up by things that are completely incorrect.

He's never won a world cup and until he does so calling him the greatest of all time is an insult to the greatest players of all time who have won the greatest trophy a footballer can win IMO. Has he? has that been confirmed aye? I doubt that to be true like.

Stubbsy90+2
26-11-2022, 12:51 PM
He's never won a world cup and until he does so calling him the greatest of all time is an insult to the greatest players of all time who have won the greatest trophy a footballer can win IMO. Has he? has that been confirmed aye? I doubt that to be true like.

Yes, he has.

https://sportzpoint.com/football/10-players-who-have-won-the-most-trophies-in-football-history/

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 12:51 PM
So only the world cup counts? Not his 4 CL winners medals?

He's scored 93 goals for Argentina. He has performed extremely well. He won the Copa America with them. He took Argentina to a world cup final. He's scored in 4 world cups.

Honestly man, you're just lying. This isn't an opinion. It can be proven wrong very easily. You're talking utter rubbish..

Taking your country to a world cup final isn't as good as single handedly winning the world cup for your country like the fellow countryman messi is apparently so better than eh. Each to their own mate I have my views and you have yours we will agree to disagree.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 12:56 PM
Yes, he has.

https://sportzpoint.com/football/10-players-who-have-won-the-most-trophies-in-football-history/

I stand corrected my apologies mate, still it does prove my other point that he has only been as successful as he has because of the team mates that are around him or are we saying dani alves is the greatest footballer of all time because he's won the most trophies?

Allant1981
26-11-2022, 12:58 PM

Aye the almost 100 goals he has scored at international level is hardly anything, and you mentioned earlier about other people knowing nothing about football.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 01:01 PM
Aye the almost 100 goals he has scored at international level is hardly anything, and you mentioned earlier about other people knowing nothing about football.

I just think calling someone the greatest of all time when they haven't won the greatest achievement you can of all time is daft eh it's simple really.

Allant1981
26-11-2022, 01:03 PM
I just think calling someone the greatest of all time when they haven't won the greatest achievement you can of all time is daft eh it's simple really.

Is winning the world cup more of an achievement than everything else he has done in the game, debatable.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 01:11 PM
Is winning the world cup more of an achievement than everything else he has done in the game, debatable.

I would say it is, It is the biggest honour you can win in world football, I know they are both world class talents, I just cannot agree they are the greatest of all time, greatest of their era certainly but not of all time, for me anyway.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2022, 01:13 PM
Taking your country to a world cup final isn't as good as single handedly winning the world cup for your country like the fellow countryman messi is apparently so better than eh. Each to their own mate I have my views and you have yours we will agree to disagree.

How many did Maradona score in his 2 world cup finals? He single handedly won **** all.

HibeeHibernia
26-11-2022, 01:18 PM
How many did Maradona score in his 2 world cup finals? He single handedly won **** all.

It is universally accepted Maradona Single handedly won the 1986 world cup mate.

MWHIBBIES
26-11-2022, 01:25 PM
It is universally accepted Maradona Single handedly won the 1986 world cup mate.

It's absolute rubbish though. He didn't win anything single handed. How many did he score in the final?

McD
26-11-2022, 06:24 PM
Didn't mean to come across as a cheeky runt mate my apologies :aok: aye you are spot on at the end of the day it is all about opinions.

accepted mate :aok:

just to chime in on a couple of your points after this (all in good spirit), I don’t think anyone can claim Henry single-handedly won France the World Cup (if I’ve misinterpreted what you’ve said, my apologies), I’d say Zidane was the main man of that team

pretty much all of Henry’s success came in very good sides as well, I’m not sure the criticism of messi only doing it in great teams can be directed only at him, could even make the point that henry couldn’t win in Europe until he joined messi :greengrin

I admire your passion for defending Henry’s place in history though

CropleyWasGod
26-11-2022, 06:29 PM
accepted mate :aok:

just to chime in on a couple of your points after this (all in good spirit), I don’t think anyone can claim Henry single-handedly won France the World Cup (if I’ve misinterpreted what you’ve said, my apologies), I’d say Zidane was the main man of that team

pretty much all of Henry’s success came in very good sides as well, I’m not sure the criticism of messi only doing it in great teams can be directed only at him, could even make the point that henry couldn’t win in Europe until he joined messi :greengrin

I admire your passion for defending Henry’s place in history though

He didn't even play in the final.:greengrin Came on as a sub in the semi. And the QF. Was subbed in the 2nd round. He only actually played 1 full game.