PDA

View Full Version : ‘We have to move on five or six’

SonOfDavidFrancey
12-11-2022, 04:45 PM
‘We have to move on five or six’ says LJ. Who will it be?

Hibby70
12-11-2022, 04:46 PM

Johnson, McCallister, Gray, Kensell, Gordon

Northernhibee
12-11-2022, 04:48 PM
Campbell
Henderson
Magennis
Mitchell
Melkersen
McGeady
Doyle Hayes
Youan
Hauge
Tavares
Bojang
Ian Gordon
Ben Kensell

sleeping giant
12-11-2022, 04:49 PM
Ooft. Did he really say that?
Worked for Butcher

7Hero
12-11-2022, 04:50 PM
a lot more than 5 or 6 !!

we have so many duds the kids can't even train with the first team..

'mon the beers
12-11-2022, 04:50 PM

Is that all? I would go with:-

Hanlon
Stevenson
Campbell
Henderson
McKirdy

The Modfather
12-11-2022, 04:51 PM

Anyone apart from Boyle and Marshall. Might as well throw 6 darts at a squad list to select those to cull.

Start with the midfield and I genuinely don’t think we would miss any of them, including the much vaunted Newell.

wookie70
12-11-2022, 04:52 PM

Hard when you are limited to so few. I would have no issue with all teh below finding new clubs and I have probably missed a few

Henderson
Taveres
Youan
McKirdy
Cabraja
McGeady
JDH
Campbell
Fish
Miller
Magennis
Hauge
Mitchell
Melkerson
MacKay
Tait
Brydon

Vault Boy
Being serious, I’d guess at:

Bojang, Mitchell, Doyle-Hayes, Tavares, Miller

HibeeHibernia

aye and that is just out the boardroom Lee mate i would only keep 4 possibly 5 out of that first team like

A Hi-Bee
12-11-2022, 04:53 PM
:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

Trinity Hibee
12-11-2022, 04:56 PM

Whilst I don’t disagree, they’ve barely had game time. It must be from the 18-20 who get into the match day squads

Hibiza
12-11-2022, 04:58 PM

:top marks

Is It On....
12-11-2022, 05:00 PM
Worked for Butcher

Shouldn't really say that in public (no matter how true it is). Hopefully the World Cup break can do us a favour.

Unseen work
12-11-2022, 05:02 PM
It’s an odd one, the ones everyone will say need moving on at the ones that came with a bit of promise and hardly had a chance.

But the majority of the below could leave and there would be no difference in the squad.

Tavares
Hauge
Bojang
Tait
Mackay
Henderson
Fish
Schofield
Mitchell

That said, we’re not losing games because we have an extra 5
Or 6 players.

Wheat Hound
12-11-2022, 05:02 PM
Literally anyone aside from Boyle could go right now and I wouldn't care. The quality in our squad is overwhelmingly poor.

Smartie
12-11-2022, 05:04 PM
Worked for Butcher

"Butcher" was what immediately sprang to mind when I read that quote.

Probably Butcher's biggest mistake during his time at Hibs. And there were a few.

BegbieHSC
12-11-2022, 05:05 PM
Hi Terry

ShadesLongThrow
12-11-2022, 05:07 PM
I’m hoping he’s said that because he’s been told the only way to bring in new blood is to have a ‘one in, one out’ policy. And we certainly need some new (aka decent) players.

PaulSmith
If he’s came out and said that, hoping that the injured players come back and make a difference then he’s toast with the players.

ancient hibee
Hard when you are limited to so few. I would have no issue with all teh below finding new clubs and I have probably missed a few

Henderson
Taveres
Youan
McKirdy
Cabraja
McGeady
JDH
Campbell
Fish
Miller
Magennis
Hauge
Mitchell
Melkerson
MacKay
Tait

Brydon

Interesting that you would keep most of the players who have already got two managers sacked.

chrisski33
Move on 5 or 6? Losses? If so just go Johnson

Trinity Hibee
12-11-2022, 05:08 PM
If he’s came out and said that, hoping that the injured players come back and make a difference then he’s toast with the players.

I would be stunned if the players don’t realise they aren’t good enough. If they don’t they are delusional

Trinity Hibee
12-11-2022, 05:12 PM
If Johnson is sacked and I hear any players coming out saying they were sorry to see the manager go then I’m done with it all. They are an embarrassment to themselves (not that they care) and to the club.

Sir David Gray
12-11-2022, 05:14 PM

Is this actually a direct quote from today?

If so that's a huge concern. Of course he's correct (it's a lot more than 5 or 6 in my opinion) but you don't say things like that in public.

bingo70
12-11-2022, 05:14 PM

Yup, I’ve seen this movie before and it doesn’t end well for the manager.

Soon as the manager starts publicly chucking the players under the bus to save his own skin it only goes one way.

Vault Boy
12-11-2022, 05:15 PM
Any links to his post match? Can’t find it

Trinity Hibee
12-11-2022, 05:16 PM

If so that's a huge concern. Of course he's correct (it's a lot more than 5 or 6 in my opinion) but you don't say things like that in public.

Hibernian manager Lee Johnson tells BBC Sportsound: "I thought we did enough to win the game. We've been caught on the wrong end of VAR twice, so that's disappointing. We've peppered the goal in the second half but not had anywhere near enough quality to finish it off.

"I'm frustrated, as we all are. We're only three points off third, which is a sign of how many opportunities we've missed. There's games we've performed well in that we haven't capitalised on.

"The fans were brilliant until the end. They are clearly booing the result, not the performance because the boys put everything on the line. We have to get that bit of luck that all our efforts deserve.

"I love it here, it's a fantastic club. Of course, people will question what's going on at the moment but it's a medium-to-long term project and we have to make a lot of decisions going into January. We have to move on five or six."

Greenwich_Hibby
12-11-2022, 05:16 PM
More worrying was 'the fans are booing at the result not the performance'
Really Lee, if that is your expectation of good, please go, and take the wage thief's you signed, and said you were happy with, with you.

Hibernian Verse
12-11-2022, 05:17 PM
It’s a bit Butcheresque, but if you don’t respond to that and knuckle down knowing full well if you go out the door it’s to a smaller club or lower division then you deserve to be moved on.

Mcbizz1998
12-11-2022, 05:17 PM

Leave Gray out of this.

chippy
12-11-2022, 05:18 PM

I know that IG and BK are seriously culpable too. But he kept the same midfield apart from Keneh, that was always going to be his downfall. I think even Maloney had another couple of midfielders lined up before he was sacked.

Jim44
12-11-2022, 05:19 PM

He has clearly lost the dressing room.

matty_f
12-11-2022, 05:20 PM
He has clearly lost the dressing room.

And the plot.

SlickShoes
12-11-2022, 05:25 PM
Why do people want to move on the players that have barely kicked a ball they aren’t the ones that have us in this mess, let’s just keep putting the same guys out every week that can’t even do the basics right

1875Sean
12-11-2022, 05:30 PM
Squad is massive so was always needing to move a few on, I think bojang, Bradley, Haugue, Mitchell, Tavares could all go with Fish and schofield ending their loans early

SlickShoes
12-11-2022, 05:32 PM
Squad is massive so was always needing to move a few on, I think bojang, Bradley, Haugue, Mitchell, Tavares could all go with Fish and schofield ending their loans early

And that leaves us with the team as it is basically untouched, to be topped up with some horrific January panic signings

1875Sean
12-11-2022, 05:33 PM

Add Tait and MacKay to the list too

Trinity Hibee
12-11-2022, 05:33 PM
Add Tait and MacKay to the list too

You do have to wonder how these 2 and Delfierre haven’t had a chance to get into this team. If they are worse than what is playing for us now then why were they ever signed

The Modfather
12-11-2022, 05:35 PM
Why do people want to move on the players that have barely kicked a ball they aren’t the ones that have us in this mess, let’s just keep putting the same guys out every week that can’t even do the basics right

Having a squad full of players who have barely kicked a ball for us is as big an issue as those who are playing and playing poorly. Magennis, Mitchell, McGeady, Miller. That’s an awful lot of money for next to no return.

Then there’s Jair, Melkerson, McGregor, Bojang, Youan, Fish, Mckirdy etc. all to differing degrees but another group of players with minimal impact or effectively just taking up space on the bench for the sake of it rather than a viable option.

1875Sean
And that leaves us with the team as it is basically untouched, to be topped up with some horrific January panic signings

Yeah these players can’t get a game, we can’t keep on adding to a already massive squad, need to move a few on before we can add, Nisbiet and Boyle will make a big difference and guys like McGeady will help create more chances

JimBHibees
Worked for Butcher

Strange thing to say. How many of his five or six has he brought in

eastmainsmsh
Has Delfierre not played in Belgium 🇧🇪 and at under 21 ?

Baffling as he always looked part when seen him play

Sir David Gray
12-11-2022, 05:37 PM
Hibernian manager Lee Johnson tells BBC Sportsound: "I thought we did enough to win the game. We've been caught on the wrong end of VAR twice, so that's disappointing. We've peppered the goal in the second half but not had anywhere near enough quality to finish it off.

"I'm frustrated, as we all are. We're only three points off third, which is a sign of how many opportunities we've missed. There's games we've performed well in that we haven't capitalised on.

"The fans were brilliant until the end. They are clearly booing the result, not the performance because the boys put everything on the line. We have to get that bit of luck that all our efforts deserve.

"I love it here, it's a fantastic club. Of course, people will question what's going on at the moment but it's a medium-to-long term project and we have to make a lot of decisions going into January. We have to move on five or six."

Thanks I've just listened to his Hibs TV and he didn't mention any of that in fact he talks about the quality he has within the squad so just wondered.

Bit weird that he seems to have gone down such a different path in his BBC interview.

California-Hibs
12-11-2022, 05:39 PM

Can't believe he's actually said we 'peppered' their goal 2nd half. That's insulting to all fans who actually watched that game. We certainly did not pepper them. At all.

BSEJVT
12-11-2022, 05:44 PM
Literally anyone aside from Boyle could go right now and I wouldn't care. The quality in our squad is overwhelmingly poor.

Boyle has been extremely poor since he returned, that has been masked by a couple of late important goals but i would still keep him.

For me I would get rid of every single midfielder in first team squad and start again

Heisenberg
12-11-2022, 05:44 PM
He isn’t wrong. It’s about time some of these *****bags were punted.

Trinity Hibee
12-11-2022, 05:45 PM
He isn’t wrong. It’s about time some of these *****bags were punted.

How I see it too

loanheadhibby
12-11-2022, 05:47 PM
What’s most concerning is that he thinks we only need to change 5 or 6. I can think of 11 or 12 off the top of my head that can go.

He’s actually starting to sound deluded with some of his comments.

JimBHibees
12-11-2022, 05:47 PM
Boyle has been extremely poor since he returned, that has been masked by a couple of late important goals but i would still keep him.

For me I would get rid of every single midfielder in first team squad and start again

Has he? Personally think Boyle has been good absolute chasm when he isn't playing

Trinity Hibee
12-11-2022, 05:48 PM
Has he? Personally think Boyle has been good absolute chasm when he isn't playing

Hasn’t hit the heights we know he can but the difference between him playing and not is night and day

1875Sean
12-11-2022, 05:49 PM

One cap at under 15s, don’t think he is that good to be at their under 21 level

Jones28
12-11-2022, 05:51 PM
Think we could easily ship out the back line except Cabraja, Newall, JDH, Doidge, Stevenson, Henderson and ****ing somebody else.

I find it bizarre we have Delfierre, Tait and McKay out on loan as well. Highly rated youngsters should be playing for us, its got to be better than some of the ***** we’ve seen.

Sir David Gray
12-11-2022, 05:52 PM

No he played for them at under 15s.

Libby Hibby
12-11-2022, 05:53 PM
What’s most concerning is that he thinks we only need to change 5 or 6. I can think of 11 or 12 off the top of my head that can go.

I don’t think deluded is the correct choice of words.

Allant1981
12-11-2022, 05:55 PM

He isn't going to come out and say he thinks he needs to replace a whole team though is he.

NAE NOOKIE
12-11-2022, 06:01 PM
There's about 10 he could shift out and they wouldn't be missed. It's not getting players out, it's signing the right ones that's the real problem and how you do that with what must be a tiny budget after we have spent so much on 'projects' and given half of them 3 and 4 year contracts is anybody's guess.

Allant1981
12-11-2022, 06:03 PM
There's about 10 he could shift out and they wouldn't be missed. It's not getting players out, it's signing the right ones that's the real problem and how you do that with what must be a tiny budget after we have spent so much on 'projects' and given half of them 3 and 4 year contracts is anybody's guess.

This is the problem, we need good experienced players just now, players like kenneh, melkersen, tavares etc may well turn out to be good players but imo no where near good enough to start yet

Trinity Hibee
12-11-2022, 06:03 PM

Quite simply Ron will have to put his hand in his pocket to make this right

Hiber-nation
12-11-2022, 06:07 PM
Putting 5 players out on loan to maybe come back better next season?

I still think he'll turn this around but I have to say that was a really strange starting line up.

Springbank
12-11-2022, 06:08 PM
Personal view but the best midfield pairing I've seen from us in 2022 was delfierre & tait, and they were both loaned out a day later

Odd decision I thought

Smartie
12-11-2022, 06:11 PM

You’ve got to bear in mind that he’ll still have to get a tune out of some players short term that he won’t fancy long term.

What he really thinks and wants to say and what he should say are surely different things.

See Butcher, Terence, the capitulation, for evidence.

I think one of Johnson’s faults (not a huge one yet) is that he sometimes says too much when a more guarded approach is required.

Since452
12-11-2022, 06:11 PM

Hanlon
Stevenson
Porteous
Mitchell
Melkersen
Henderson

Would be happy with that.

chrisski33
12-11-2022, 06:15 PM

Think we rely on Boyle too much tbh. Is his form offf due to this pressure or just anxious about injury ahead of world cup?

Unseen work
12-11-2022, 06:15 PM
Personal view but the best midfield pairing I've seen from us in 2022 was delfierre & tait, and they were both loaned out a day later

Odd decision I thought

You surely don’t think the 45 minutes against Norwich reserves was the best out midfield has played this season.

It’s poor lately but come on

truehibernian
12-11-2022, 06:16 PM
Hanlon
Stevenson
Porteous
Mitchell
Melkersen
Henderson

Would be happy with that.

Melkerson definitely isn’t one I’d be shipping out - Joe Newell, I’d happily drive him to his next club 👍 rotten player 👍 other than that, agree with your selections. Just surprised LJ said 5 or 6 because I’d be moving on about 12 or 13 in a heartbeat.

j'adorehibs
12-11-2022, 06:19 PM
Whilst I don’t disagree, they’ve barely had game time. It must be from the 18-20 who get into the match day squads

agreed , plus those listed - we need to get rid of those who wont ever get apopearances and those whoi do and let us down time and time again - unfortunataly contracts get in the way ie Newall, JDH, Stevenson, Hanlon, Henderson etc , A royal f up so it is.

Real Emerald
12-11-2022, 06:20 PM
Take away Boyle and Marshall I honestly couldn’t care who or how many are shipped out. What matters is who we bring in because we are probably 5 or 6 good players short and that’s being conservative with numbers.

Widhibs
12-11-2022, 06:20 PM
How have the players out on loan at other clubs been performing?

Booked4Being-Ugly
12-11-2022, 06:21 PM
Quite simply Ron will have to put his hand in his pocket to make this right

Well this was all Ron’s decisions he ran with despite the fans concerns, so I’d expect him to ‘pony up’ for the poor mistakes.

He's here!
12-11-2022, 06:22 PM

I doubt he'll be around to see them moved on. Think he'll be sacked before the WC in a bid to bed someone else in before the league starts up again.

Another managerial disaster but no matter who we get in we'll remain garbage as long as RG runs the playing side thf way he does.

Crab apple
12-11-2022, 06:22 PM
I’m hoping he’s said that because he’s been told the only way to bring in new blood is to have a ‘one in, one out’ policy. And we certainly need some new (aka decent) players.

He can be a slaver but in terms of the five or six out it was in the context of the financial comstraints and replacing these with two or three quality additions in key areas.

WoreTheGreen
12-11-2022, 06:26 PM
As a club we spend more money paying off failed managers and under average players but plenty on plush bars and kiosk nonsense Wee just want a wining team

h1bs4life
12-11-2022, 07:59 PM
Interesting that you would keep most of the players who have already got two managers sacked.

Some of the players must be in double figures with the squads they have been part off that has got managers sacked .
Keep Marshal , Cabraja , Rocky , Porteous , possibly another one or two.
Joe Newell must think he has won a watch being at Hibs , signed from English Lower leagues and was crap when he 1st came. Managed to get himself in the team , got a contract extension then incredibly he got a contract extension under Maloney.
The fact he is one of the main men and with Hanlon and Stevenson still being here shows show how low we have become.

BT58
12-11-2022, 08:07 PM
Tait and Mackay should be brought back in January to give them a chance to improve our pi## midfield, getting rid without giving them a chance is criminal, we had 7 players in the first 11 today that were crap last season. The team have had plenty of chances. Dropping Bushiri today was baffling.
B

bigwheel
12-11-2022, 08:22 PM
Tait and Mackay should be brought back in January to give them a chance to improve our pi## midfield, getting rid without giving them a chance is criminal, we had 7 players in the first 11 today that were crap last season. The team have had plenty of chances. Dropping Bushiri today was baffling.
B

We don’t need more inexperienced players to choose from ..we need two or three experienced quality additions … Bushiri wasn’t missed today

GreenCastle
12-11-2022, 08:56 PM
We won’t add any players before next 4 games or even the derby as the transfer window won’t open.

So he will be working with players not wanted for the next month and a half.

coldingham hibs
12-11-2022, 09:18 PM
Melkerson definitely isn’t one I’d be shipping out - Joe Newell, I’d happily drive him to his next club 👍 rotten player 👍 other than that, agree with your selections. Just surprised LJ said 5 or 6 because I’d be moving on about 12 or 13 in a heartbeat.

Melkerson is nowhere near the standard we require, unbelievable he gets close to a starting place. He’d be lucky to get a starting spot in a championship team, offers nothing.

Carheenlea
12-11-2022, 09:47 PM
Hibs surely must accept that the recruitment strategy has been an unmitigated disaster. And an expensive one. Unfortunately it’s also going to be an expensive one to rectify, but it’s just something we will have to absorb.

We are not going to see a long line of clubs looking to buy our players (Porteous excepted) so buying out/paying off a large number of players is the only way of clearing the decks.

An experienced football minded individual put in place to oversee the recruitment and general footballing matters and lead with a bit of authority. Get Ian Gordon out of there and find him something else to do at the club (something as far away from player recruitment or scouting as possible).

If he wants to change managers then it could be a very expensive few weeks for Ron Gordon indeed. Alternatively, he might just keep the status quo and hope for the best.

Brightside
13-11-2022, 07:35 AM

Doyle hayes is injured. It sure how he would take the blame for the current nonsense

J-C
13-11-2022, 07:59 AM
Off the top of my head

Newell
Campbell
Mitchell
Bojang
Youan
Henderson
McGeady
Magennis
JDH

The Modfather
13-11-2022, 08:06 AM
Doyle hayes is injured. It sure how he would take the blame for the current nonsense

Doyle Hayes was part of our midfield issues last season. We have exactly the same midfield, plus Kenneh. Along with all the other midfielders he’s closer to part of the problem than part of the solution, without necessarily having to be a bad player in his own right.

It’s not unique to him, but our midfield wouldn’t be any worse off if he was to leave IMO.

Bridge hibs
13-11-2022, 08:09 AM
Off the top of my head

Newell
Campbell
Mitchell
Bojang
Youan
Henderson
McGeady
Magennis
JDHA few long term contracts in amongst that lot, good luck to Johnson trying to move them on

JimBHibees
13-11-2022, 08:14 AM
Doyle Hayes was part of our midfield issues last season. We have exactly the same midfield, plus Kenneh. Along with all the other midfielders he’s closer to part of the problem than part of the solution, without necessarily having to be a bad player in his own right.

It’s not unique to him, but our midfield wouldn’t be any worse off if he was to leave IMO.

Personally think he offers more than Kenneh who seems to win the ball then immediately gives it away. So lack composure in midfield which to me is a lot down to this.

mcfly
13-11-2022, 08:15 AM
Great management skills telling us he needs to move on 5 or 6.

He sounds desperate.

those players will now down tools and not try a leg.

Club is a sinking ship and yet again the board are taking us for mugs.

With the budget and fan base we have - we underachieve massively and it’s just not a acceptable

MrRobot
13-11-2022, 08:18 AM

He sounds desperate.

With the budget and fan base we have - we underachieve massively and it’s just not a acceptable

Or it could be the rocket up the arse those players need. If they down tools cause he has said that then he is absolutely right about them.

Northernhibee
13-11-2022, 08:19 AM
Hibs surely must accept that the recruitment strategy has been an unmitigated disaster. And an expensive one. Unfortunately it’s also going to be an expensive one to rectify, but it’s just something we will have to absorb.

We are not going to see a long line of clubs looking to buy our players (Porteous excepted) so buying out/paying off a large number of players is the only way of clearing the decks.

An experienced football minded individual put in place to oversee the recruitment and general footballing matters and lead with a bit of authority. Get Ian Gordon out of there and find him something else to do at the club (something as far away from player recruitment or scouting as possible).

If he wants to change managers then it could be a very expensive few weeks for Ron Gordon indeed. Alternatively, he might just keep the status quo and hope for the best.
Agree with every word of this.

Itsnoteasy
13-11-2022, 08:22 AM

He sounds desperate.

Given the trophies that we've won & poor positioning over the decades were not as big as some like to believe.

sauzeelegod
13-11-2022, 08:32 AM
A lot more than 5 or 6 needing moved on.

J-C
13-11-2022, 08:36 AM
A few long term contracts in amongst that lot, good luck to Johnson trying to move them on

The problem was whoever sanctioned the extended contracts to Newell, JDH and Campbell, was it not Ross?

Brightside
13-11-2022, 08:41 AM
The problem was whoever sanctioned the extended contracts to Newell, JDH and Campbell, was it not Ross?

Ben K does contracts.

The Modfather
13-11-2022, 08:43 AM

Add in we’re going to be stuck with Doidge next season as well. I think Hibs probably looked at the stats and the value of players on paper and thought they were protecting their “assets” rather than lose them for free. A coherent football structure and the right people in key positions would have seen that Newell, Campbell, JDH & Doidge were never going the generate a fee or worry about losing them to higher up the food chain. Instead of being able to move them on at no cost we now either have to persist with them, pay them off or freeze them out and accept the drain on the budget until their contracts expire. None of those options being palatable.

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2022, 08:46 AM
McGeady? He's top quality, and everything will be fine once he's fit.

Or at least that's what a good few folk on here were saying not so long ago, whilst dishing out abuse to those of us who called it as we saw it.

He's everything that is wrong with our club.

Came in as a pal of LJ for a final pay off and doesn't give a toss about us. His only contribution being to miss a couple of penalties and rake in the cash.

Start with him, but as others have noted we could empty the lot and no tears would be shed.

Smartie
13-11-2022, 08:52 AM
McGeady? He's top quality, and everything will be fine once he's fit.

Or at least that's what a good few folk on here were saying not so long ago, whilst dishing out abuse to those of us who called it as we saw it.

He's everything that is wrong with our club.

Came in as a pal of LJ for a final pay off and doesn't give a toss about us. His only contribution being to miss a couple of penalties and rake in the cash.

Start with him, but as others have noted we could empty the lot and no tears would be shed.

Very harsh - he's injured FFS.

If you think what McGeady is doing at Hibs is "raking it in" after what he's earned elsewhere in his career then you're off your head.

I'm not going to entirely defend the signing as I do think that someone, somewhere should acknowledge the risk in signing a player of that age who had missed so many games in a recent season with a serious injury.

But I think it's incredibly harsh on McGeady, who I think just wants to keep playing for as long as possible. He'd agreed to sign for his mate (Maloney) and when he got his jotters and a previous manager he'd got on well with joined in Maloney's place, he decided it was still a good move for him.

In isolation, the McGeady signing is not "everything that is wrong with the club" but I do accept that it hasn't worked out, at this stage looks unlikely to do so and that someone, somewhere has - again - made a slightly questionable call on this. When those slightly questionable calls add up, you end up where we are.

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2022, 09:02 AM
Yeah, deliberately harsh, and I stand by it!!

'Agreed to sign for his mate' - that there should set alarm bells ringing. Is this how we want to go about building our squad?

Same with signing our assitant mgrs son or the owner putting his son in charge of things. It's mental, and can hardly described as being professional.

I don't really class him as a Hibs player anyways, he's just a name that takes a wage.

It will make zero difference to our season if he leaves tomorrow, January or at he end of May. His contribution will remain the same.

Smartie
13-11-2022, 09:11 AM
Yeah, deliberately harsh, and I stand by it!!

'Agreed to sign for his mate' - that there should set alarm bells ringing. Is this how we want to go about building our squad?

Same with signing our assitant mgrs son or the owner putting his son in charge of things. It's mental, and can hardly described as being professional.

I don't really class him as a Hibs player anyways, he's just a name that takes a wage.

It will make zero difference to our season if he leaves tomorrow, January or at he end of May. His contribution will remain the same.

People throughout football choose to work with people they've worked with in the past and got on well with.

That is not a red flag.

Assistant manager's son and Ian Gordon - couldn't agree more. In fact, if we were to go down the "everything that is wrong with our club" route, I think we could start with either of those examples with justification.

Signing a player in his late thirties with a poor recent injury history on a one year contract I accept possibly isn't the smartest but neither is it the worst thing we've done. Not even close.

WhileTheChief..
13-11-2022, 09:16 AM
People throughout football choose to work with people they've worked with in the past and got on well with.

That is not a red flag.

Assistant manager's son and Ian Gordon - couldn't agree more. In fact, if we were to go down the "everything that is wrong with our club" route, I think we could start with either of those examples with justification.

Signing a player in his late thirties with a poor recent injury history on a one year contract I accept possibly isn't the smartest but neither is it the worst thing we've done. Not even close.

Completely agree, there's so many mistakes been made unfortunately.

I don't even want to think about ranking them in order of gashness!!

MWHIBBIES
13-11-2022, 09:22 AM
Renewing Newell was clearly a good decision. He's been our best midfield player this season. If his teammates had any composure he'd had a half dozen assists too. If he'd been a new signing this summer we'd be delighted with him.

Trinity Hibee
13-11-2022, 09:25 AM
Renewing Newell was clearly a good decision. He's been our best midfield player this season. If his teammates had any composure he'd had a half dozen assists too. If he'd been a new signing this summer we'd be delighted with him.

Newell needs to be given the freedom to perform well I feel. We can’t rely on him to be the main man in the middle. That’s why his performances are inconsistent. There is a role for him but it’s not what he’s being used for at the moment

B.H.F.C
13-11-2022, 09:27 AM
Newell needs to be given the freedom to perform well I feel. We can’t rely on him to be the main man in the middle. That’s why his performances are inconsistent. There is a role for him but it’s not what he’s being used for at the moment

If his role at the moment isn’t the role for him and doesn’t give him the freedom then I really don’t know what is.

He’s got Kenneh in there to do the other side of the game. Yesterday he had Stevenson in there as well. For as long as Newell is our main man in the middle of the park, we’ll see more of the same.

Chip shop Joe
13-11-2022, 09:31 AM
Clearly a good decision??? He may have been our “best” midfielder but that is not saying much and he is much that is wrong with this team. No aggression whatsoever. Central midfielders need to lead by example and sadly everyone is following his lead. He does have talent but has a decent game every 3 or 4. I am sure he was not cheap and I for one do not think renewing his deal was clearly a good decision.

He is not a defensive midfielder so what exactly is his role and how many goals or assists has he actually contributed since he has been here?

Trinity Hibee
13-11-2022, 09:34 AM
If his role at the moment isn’t the role for him and doesn’t give him the freedom then I really don’t know what is.

He’s got Kenneh in there to do the other side of the game. Yesterday he had Stevenson in there as well. For as long as Newell is our main man in the middle of the park, we’ll see more of the same.

Fair enough. On reflection, what I should have said is if newell is too play we need a Magennis type who gets about the park and into the box alongside him. There are weeks newell is non existent and there are other he plays very well. Always impressed how gets out of tight positions with a couple of opponents around him.

sean
13-11-2022, 09:40 AM
I am torn on Lee's comments.

Has he signed these players like he says or is he just basically a smokescreen from above.

Either way we are in Almighty expensive mess.

This morning I was listing off a group of wide / forward players:

1. Tavares
2. Nisbet
3. Melks
4. Mikola
5. Jair
6. Mcgeady
7. Boyle
8. Bojan
9. Mckurdy
10. Doidge (out on loan but suspect we will be paying for him)

10 wide or strikers on Hibs books, its absolute insanity. You could argue we only really need 5 or 6 players of quality for these positions. On that list you'd keep Boyle,Nisbet, the Ukranian who's on loan and Melks (who may or may not have it)

You would usually find a new player either has or hasn't got what it takes within a few months. Its maybe harsh but can anyone really see any of the others genuinely coming good and taking us where we want to go. I can't think of anyone bar rocky in the last few years who was written off and has actually managed to come good. So for me it would be far better to cut our losses on some of the above names if we can actually get them off the wage bill.

No idea what the answer is for Hibs but it certainly wasn't as complicated as we have made it over the last 18 months.

Smartie
13-11-2022, 09:41 AM
Newell has had a minging couple of weeks since the St Mirren game.

Which is pretty much Newell all over. He gets to the point where he's answered the consistency question and then goes missing.

He's been as culpable as anyone in "the collapse" whilst accepting he was very good earlier in the season.

I just don't think he can be relied upon.

OldEast
13-11-2022, 09:47 AM

Has he signed these players like he says or is he just basically a smokescreen from above.

1. Tavares
2. Nisbet
3. Melks
4. Mikola
5. Jair
6. Mcgeady
7. Boyle
8. Bojan
9. Mckurdy

10 wide or strikers on Hibs books, its absolute insanity. You could argue we only really need 5 or 6 players of quality for these positions. On that list you'd keep Boyle,Nisbet, the Ukranian who's on loan and Melks (who may or may not have it)

You would usually find a new player either has or hasn't got what it takes within a few months. Its maybe harsh but can anyone really see any of the others genuinely coming good and taking us where we want to go. I can't think of anyone bar rocky in the last few years who was written off and has actually managed to come good. So for me it would be far better to cut our losses on some of the above names if we can actually get them off the wage bill.

No idea what the answer is for Hibs but it certainly wasn't as complicated as we have made it over the last 18 months.

He's a smokescreen, you're correct. Saying what Ron wants him to say, as will every manager on down the line until Ron has sold the club or finally understands we need seasoned, experienced players to lift us to the levels he wants.

sean
13-11-2022, 09:56 AM
He's a smokescreen, you're correct. Saying what Ron wants him to say, as will every manager on down the line until Ron has sold the club or finally understands we need seasoned, experienced players to lift us to the levels he wants.

I wrote on another thread somewhere back at the start of the season that when we finished 3rd under jack ross we actually only needed 3/4 pieces of real quality in starting team to take us up a notch and a couple of additions to the overall squad to see us challenging again for 3rd. It didn't appear to be rocket science to an on looker.

we've changed manager ( maybe soon to be twice) since and added about 15-20 players and have probably flat lined or got worse potentially.

someone from above needs to carry the can for that.

McGruber
13-11-2022, 09:56 AM

1. Tavares
2. Nisbet
3. Melks
4. Mikola
5. Jair
6. Mcgeady
7. Boyle
8. Bojan
9. Mckurdy

Keep player 1 on your list.. bin player 5.. cover our bases 😆

The Modfather
13-11-2022, 10:31 AM

If his overall Hibs career was just this season he would indeed be classed as a good signing and have more credit in the bank than not. As it is, he’s had a very up and down and inconsistent Hibs career. In an area of the park that has been a problem his whole time here. He got all the deserved plaudits this season when he was producing quality and consistency, however that is looking more like a purple patch than the norm. He has regressed back into being inconsistent and ineffectual along with the rest of the team.

He’s probably the last place to start in midfield, but that’s not an endorsement in Newell in itself. We won’t ever have a midfield that wins you a lot of games with him in it IMO. We might get to a point where he’s part of a midfield that doesn’t lose you many games though. I’m sure someone looked at games with Newell v games without him and there wasn’t much difference to results.

He didn’t deserve a new contract, no one did. We won’t ever have to turn bids down for him or worry about him outgrowing us. He’s not a bad player, but his wage could be better utilised on someone with a different skill set, and less one paced, and who could make the midfield more than the sum of its parts IMO. Newell will forever be a good player individually, but part of ineffective midfields that somehow become less than the sum of their parts more often than not.

J-C
13-11-2022, 10:40 AM
Ben K does contracts.

But it still has to be approved by the manager at the time, which was Ross.

Crab apple
13-11-2022, 10:42 AM
Ben K does contracts.

I'm sure he does but as LJ has said the manager has the final say on who comes in and contract extensions. It was JR who admitted he was keen to secure Newell, Campbell, JDH on extended contracts.

sean
13-11-2022, 10:45 AM
I'm sure he does but as LJ has said the manager has the final say on who comes in and contract extensions. It was JR who admitted he was keen to secure Newell, Campbell, JDH on extended contracts.

It that’s true about the manager having the final say on players and after yesterdays comments that we need now get rid of 5/6 boys after 4 months In charge, then it’s also him that has to go.

AL-Qaholik
13-11-2022, 10:47 AM
Not sure I could 5 or 6 we shouldn’t be trying to move on.

B.H.F.C
13-11-2022, 10:47 AM
If his overall Hibs career was just this season he would indeed be classed as a good signing and have more credit in the bank than not. As it is, he’s had a very up and down and inconsistent Hibs career. In an area of the park that has been a problem his whole time here. He got all the deserved plaudits this season when he was producing quality and consistency, however that is looking more like a purple patch than the norm. He has regressed back into being inconsistent and ineffectual along with the rest of the team.

He’s probably the last place to start in midfield, but that’s not an endorsement in Newell in itself. We won’t ever have a midfield that wins you a lot of games with him in it IMO. We might get to a point where he’s part of a midfield that doesn’t lose you many games though. I’m sure someone looked at games with Newell v games without him and there wasn’t much difference to results.

He didn’t deserve a new contract, no one did. We won’t ever have to turn bids down for him or worry about him outgrowing us. He’s not a bad player, but his wage could be better utilised on someone with a different skill set, and less one paced, and who could make the midfield more than the sum of its parts IMO. Newell will forever be a good player individually, but part of ineffective midfields that somehow become less than the sum of their parts more often than not.

Taking it from the start of 2020/21 as that was when he started playing centrally every week.

He missed 6 league games of which we won 5 and lost 1.

In 21/22 he missed 11 league games of which we won 4, lost 3 and drew 4.

No comparison to be had this season as he played every week.

I don’t think he has the influence on the team that others do and our results don’t really suffer in his absence.

Tambo
13-11-2022, 11:12 AM
Love a good Joe Newell debate. He played well vs the huns and hearts at home with not being anything special just doing the simple things when required.

He did have a few games where he was the one who was looking to make things happen getting forward himself and with the ball.

The rest have just been the usual average Joe for me. No he can't be expected to play a 10 out of 10 every week or can be expected to carry the team himself.

Sioux
13-11-2022, 11:24 AM
B

They've been at the club for over two years and not been able to impress anyone enough to get a start. That won't change now.

JohnM1875
13-11-2022, 11:34 AM
Henderson (never going to happen, years left on his deal)
Campbell (never going to happen, not long singed an extension)
Youan - cancel the loan if possible
Bojang - cancel the loan if possible
Bradley - already said he can leave
Tavares - out on loan for first team experience
Hauge - let him go

J-C
13-11-2022, 02:45 PM
They've been at the club for over two years and not been able to impress anyone enough to get a start. That won't change now.

Not quite true about Tait, when he signed he was loaned back immediately to Raith until January, was never given a chance by Maloney who immediately loaned him to Killie, playing ok until he picked up an injury. Not taken on pre season camp like Mackay and on return after 3-4 seemingly good performances in the Dev team, shipped out to Arbroath on loan, Johnson said something about having all the talent but needs to apply himself more on the side of the game without the ball, so maybe a bit of a luxury player like Allan, also involved in a drunken fracas with Nisbet in Glasgow a few months ago.

Don't know what's up with the lad, played 10 times for Arbroath with zero goal or assists. needs to show more.

Mackay is at Inverness Caley with 11 games and 4 assists.

mcfly
13-11-2022, 03:11 PM
Ben K does contracts.

Ben who??

Seriously this board need to get a grip. Clubs in free fall and their signings policy is a shambles.

JohnM1875
13-11-2022, 03:16 PM
Ben who??

Seriously this board need to get a grip. Clubs in free fall and their signings policy is a shambles.

Football is so different and unhinged from any other sport.

Loads of folk (myself included) are adamant we need a DoF who knows the game to come in and steady the ship. Then you have Hearts, appointed Savage, every one of them were buzzing and lauding his impact then a poor European run and defeats in the league and the knives are out for him. That Kio and Grant are apparently brutal.

Weird sport.

ManchesterGreen
13-11-2022, 03:18 PM
Some of the players must be in double figures with the squads they have been part off that has got managers sacked .
Keep Marshal , Cabraja , Rocky , Porteous , possibly another one or two.
Joe Newell must think he has won a watch being at Hibs , signed from English Lower leagues and was crap when he 1st came. Managed to get himself in the team , got a contract extension then incredibly he got a contract extension under Maloney.
The fact he is one of the main men and with Hanlon and Stevenson still being here shows show how low we have become.

He got his contract extension after Maloney had been sacked IIRC. I might be wrong.

Sir David Gray
13-11-2022, 03:26 PM
He got his contract extension after Maloney had been sacked IIRC. I might be wrong.

Newell's new contract was signed a few weeks before Maloney left.

hibeerealist
13-11-2022, 03:27 PM

You spouted Ross should stay and now Newell is our best midfielder, our midfield is rotten however if he is the best, we are really worse than i thought.

Newell has some football skills but has no heart, he is a shrinking violet similar to a number of our fans that post this sort of nonsense. We as a club will never move forward when so many fans will accept this mediocrity.

1875Sean
13-11-2022, 03:31 PM
You spouted Ross should stay and now Newell is our best midfielder, our midfield is rotten however if he is the best, we are really worse than i thought.

Newell has some football skills but has no heart, he is a shrinking violet similar to a number of our fans that post this sort of nonsense. We as a club will never move forward when so many fans will accept this mediocrity.

Who would you start over Newell?

bigwheel
13-11-2022, 03:34 PM

Eh??? Hahahaha. People who support Newell are shrinking violets with no heart ??? How did you conclude that ridiculous point??

Ps. The one thing about Newell, is that even when he is poor (such as yesterday ). He never hides from the ball..was available for it all
Game yesterday - prominent right to the very end - even though he was struggling for form .

JohnM1875
13-11-2022, 03:39 PM
Eh??? Hahahaha. People who support Newell are shrinking violets with no heart ??? How did you conclude that ridiculous point??

Ps. The one thing about Newell, is that even when he is poor (such as yesterday ). He never hides from the ball..was available for it all
Game yesterday - prominent right to the very end - even though he was struggling for form .

Newell's biggest problem, other than consistency, is his reluctance to believe in his own ability. He clearly has a pass in him and can be that player to unlock a defence, he just doesn't try it enough or picks up the ball far too deep to be effective.

Mutu
13-11-2022, 03:40 PM

Exactly. He's on of our braver players and far from being the root cause of our issues. Never hides.

eastmainsmsh
13-11-2022, 03:43 PM
No being Funny But Melker Hallberg is playing well at St Johnstone always thought he never got a right chance here Played in Italy and capped for Sweden 🇸🇪

Far better than Kenneh Newell etc

Bridge hibs
13-11-2022, 03:52 PM
No being Funny But Melker Hallberg is playing well at St Johnstone always thought he never got a right chance here Played in Italy and capped for Sweden 🇸🇪

Far better than Kenneh Newell etcNo, he really isnt far better, I love it when we hit a bad run every bang average SPL or lower league players appear to be far better than our players 😀

bigwheel
13-11-2022, 03:55 PM
No, he really isnt far better, I love it when we hit a bad run every bang average SPL or lower league players appear to be far better than our players [emoji3]

A lot of truth in this post …[emoji3][emoji106]

Smartie
13-11-2022, 03:56 PM
No being Funny But Melker Hallberg is playing well at St Johnstone always thought he never got a right chance here Played in Italy and capped for Sweden ����

Far better than Kenneh Newell etc

Agreed.

I always thought Hibs always looked a better side whenever he was in it.

Might not have been the definitive answer but looked - to me - to be a lot closer to being part of the answer than any of the large number of midfielders who have passed through the club since McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, Bartley and Scott Allan were in their pomp.

bigwheel
13-11-2022, 04:09 PM
Agreed.

Might not have been the definitive answer but looked - to me - to be a lot closer to being part of the answer than any of the large number of the midfielders who have passed through the club since McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, Bartley and Scott Allan were in their pomp.

Think he’s a decent pro. And seems a great guy - But that’s it - certainly not anyone who I would expected to play lots of games for us as an important player - but good luck to him in his career

JohnM1875
13-11-2022, 04:10 PM
No, he really isnt far better, I love it when we hit a bad run every bang average SPL or lower league players appear to be far better than our players 😀

He's a much better option than Henderson or Campbell.

The Modfather
13-11-2022, 04:18 PM
Agreed.

Might not have been the definitive answer but looked - to me - to be a lot closer to being part of the answer than any of the large number of the midfielders who have passed through the club since McGinn, McGeouch, Fyvie, Bartley and Scott Allan were in their pomp.

He’s not the answer, but given our feeble attempts to sort the midfield I wish we had kept him. He was at least always willing to run ahead of the ball.

Bridge hibs
13-11-2022, 04:21 PM
He's a much better option than Henderson or Campbell.We need better than both of them in my opinion, we also need better than Hallberg

JohnM1875
13-11-2022, 04:22 PM
We need better than both of them in my opinion, we also need better than Hallberg

Aye, you're spot on there to be fair.

Billy Whizz
13-11-2022, 04:25 PM
He's a much better option than Henderson or Campbell.

The Campbell who’s played in his best position, is our 2nd top scorer

JohnM1875
13-11-2022, 04:29 PM

I'll be honest and say I've absolutely no idea what his best position is.

Had a brilliant start to the season but past few appearances seems to have gone back to last seasons standards. It's also a worry that he can't seem to get a start in whatever his best position is given the past month or so's results.

Sir David Gray
13-11-2022, 04:32 PM

That probably highlights a lot of our issues, he hasn't scored a goal for 2 months.

Nicho87
13-11-2022, 04:34 PM
Schofield
Fish
Henderson
Mitchell
Jair
Bojang
Hague
McGeady
Doidge
Bradley
Lewis Miller

Heisenberg
13-11-2022, 04:36 PM
Schofield
Fish
Henderson
Mitchell
Jair
Bojang
Hague
McGeady
Doidge
Bradley
Lewis Miller

A good list to start things off. Think of the wages tied up in these players. Ridiculous given very few of them have had any sort of impact for us this season.

PaulSmith
13-11-2022, 04:42 PM
Schofield
Fish
Henderson
Mitchell
Jair
Bojang
Hague
McGeady
Doidge
Bradley
Lewis Miller

That’s a frightening amount of money per week for next to no return. It’s mismanagement of the highest order and the buck stops at Ben Kensell.

J-C
13-11-2022, 04:52 PM
Schofield
Fish
Henderson
Mitchell
Jair
Bojang
Hague
McGeady
Doidge
Bradley
Lewis Miller

If Johnson gets rid of these players then he's admitting he's made an error of judgement, even though I agree with you.

MWHIBBIES
13-11-2022, 05:04 PM

The ones who turn on the team are the spineless ones.

loanheadhibby
13-11-2022, 05:17 PM
Schofield
Fish
Henderson
Mitchell
Jair
Bojang
Hague
McGeady
Doidge
Bradley
Lewis Miller

Surely the 5 or 6 he is alluding to are currently playing in the team. As a for instance, only Henderson played yesterday.

I get moving these guys on frees up wages but surely we’re looking to move on some of the current starters.

stu in nottingham
13-11-2022, 05:36 PM
"Butcher" was what immediately sprang to mind when I read that quote.

Probably Butcher's biggest mistake during his time at Hibs. And there were a few.

Me too.

What a silly and uneccesary thing to say. Players whose confidence is probably on the floor already will hardly be motivated to work and fight their way out of this situation whilst looking round at their teammates thinking 'am I one of the 5/6'.

For me it's quite typical of this manager. I think he's trying to say to fans 'I'm on it' and curry favour from them as if he's on the same page as them. Some of the stuff he comes out with generally he sounds quite foolish I think.

GreenCastle
13-11-2022, 05:42 PM
Schofield
Fish
Henderson
Mitchell
Jair
Bojang
Hague
McGeady
Doidge
Bradley
Lewis Miller

McGeady and Doidge possible Mitchell combined probably make up the rest of their wages.

One / two of them injured and the other doesn’t even play for us.

Allant1981
13-11-2022, 05:53 PM
If Johnson gets rid of these players then he's admitting he's made an error of judgement, even though I agree with you.

Bojang was always going to be a gamble, brought in on loan to see if he could make the step up, not really an error of judgement