PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically - would you take Martindale?

Antifa Hibs
09-11-2022, 07:45 AM
A budget that's probably closer to Edinburgh City than us and has them sitting 4th with a game in hand....

His players will run through a brick wall for him, knows how to setup a team, punching well above their weight. Fair play to him and livi. Can't help but think if it wasnt for his past he'd be in a much bigger job.

DIXIHIBS
09-11-2022, 07:56 AM
A budget that's probably closer to Edinburgh City than us and has them sitting 4th with a game in hand....

His players will run through a brick wall for him, knows how to setup a team, punching well above their weight. Fair play to him and livi. Can't help but think if it wasnt for his past he'd be in a much bigger job.

Agreed about how well livi have done on much smaller budget and how his players play for him. But didnt we all think a terry butcher team would be like that....I think fans expectation levels at livi are very different to hibs and not sure if it would work.

scuttle
09-11-2022, 08:00 AM
Looks like the guy has something but just can't stand listening to that neddy weegie accent, so no from me

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 08:00 AM
No would have always been my answer and I pretty much stick by that.

But then there’s a part of me that looks at the absolute ****ing shambles we’re in and starts to think I maybe would. It’s about the only thing we’ve not tried over the last 4 managers so why not.

Zambernardi1875
09-11-2022, 08:01 AM
Would only work if we changed Easter road to a red blaes pitch

Heisenberg
Martindale controls absolutely everything at Livi. No chance he comes to Hibs.

eastmainsmsh
Livi doing well but would DM leave there to come to hibs with recruitment side

Broken Gnome
09-11-2022, 08:05 AM
That's the sort of question Hibs fans increasingly need to front up to.

Regardless of what supposedly uninspiring manager it is, it's as much about whether we'd take the same sort of unglamorous player than are ten-a-penny at St Johnstone, St Mirren, Livingston and Ross County, yet all too often over the years either routinely beat us or outperform is in the league.

Gloucester Hibs
09-11-2022, 08:07 AM
He wouldn't interview well - it's a No from Ron

Just_Jimmy
09-11-2022, 08:07 AM
Nope. He shouldn't be anywhere near football regardless of how well they're doing.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Since452
09-11-2022, 08:11 AM
No. Don't even want him at Easter Road in the away dugout.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 08:11 AM
Absolutely not. Horrible man and dreadful football. Absolutely awful football.

DaveF
09-11-2022, 08:26 AM
Absolutely not. Horrible man and dreadful football. Absolutely awful football.

We are in no position to slag off anyone elses brand of football with the ***** we are putting on display. I'd take a fraction of the desire that Livi, Ross County et al show on a weekly basis over the rubbish we are enduring.

McGruber
09-11-2022, 08:27 AM
Not for me no. Fair play for his work at Livi though

CentreLine
09-11-2022, 08:31 AM
Not for me but I’d have big Marvin back as a coach in a heartbeat.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 08:31 AM
We are in no position to slag off anyone elses brand of football with the ***** we are putting on display. I'd take a fraction of the desire that Livi, Ross County et al show on a weekly basis over the rubbish we are enduring.

Rubbish. We're certainly nothing like as bad as last night every week. Played some livi stuff in our wins, including as recently as last weekend.

Livi are ****ing gash to watch, hence why only a few hundred actually do. Ross county certainly do not show that desire every week.

Stop the hot takes based on last night.

WestStandWillie
09-11-2022, 08:34 AM
Absolutely not.

Zambernardi1875
09-11-2022, 08:39 AM
Rubbish. We're certainly nothing like as bad as last night every week. Played some livi stuff in our wins, including as recently as last weekend.

Livi are ****ing gash to watch, hence why only a few hundred actually do. Ross county certainly do not show that desire every week.

Ross county didn’t show any desire last night, they didn’t have to, sat in all 1st half did nothing, time wasted all 2nd and hit us on the break, they didn’t have to do a thing last night to win, not a jot.

Liam89
09-11-2022, 08:40 AM
No, he'd have a few bad results and everyone would call for him to be sacked and we'd start all over again.

I'm tired of chopping and changing managers every two minutes. Give someone a chance to build something for once.

cameronw-hfc
09-11-2022, 08:42 AM
No. He's not a great manager, he's just in the perfect situation for his abilities/personality to succeed. Ie, Stubbs at Hibs. I don't think he's a bad manager, I just think somewhere like Livi, where expectations are low, budget is low and have the underdog mantra works perfect for him.

Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and I'd even argue a Dundee UTD are way too big a job for him.

DaveF
Ross county didn’t show any desire last night, they didn’t have to, sat in all 1st half did nothing, time wasted all 2nd and hit us on the break, they didn’t have to do a thing last night to win, not a jot.

They were organised and while happy to let us pass it front of them (who wouldn't be) as soon as passed forward they attacked the ball instantly and did so very well.

Not something we do well at all.

Trinity Hibee
I think from several threads it’s becoming clear it doesn’t matter who is in charge if recruitment doesn’t improve

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 08:43 AM

It's not true really. Set up very well, allowed rocky the ball and man marked Kenneh and Newell all match. This forced us to either pass to Melkersen and Henderson who lost it every time or go wide and cross, which was also useless.

Every time rocky got the ball white stopped the pass to Porto and their 2 centre mids stopped the pass to our 2. We would've been significantly better off with Boyle instead of Melkersen.

Also didn't help that Mitchell was a man down, giving us nothing on the left.

Ross county were set up really well and we had no answer.

Carheenlea
09-11-2022, 08:49 AM
Agreed about how well livi have done on much smaller budget and how his players play for him. But didnt we all think a terry butcher team would be like that....I think fans expectation levels at livi are very different to hibs and not sure if it would work.

Yes, Butcher was the man that was going to bring to Hibs the work rate and team bond that served him well at ICT at the time, but obviously turned into a total disaster.

What works at smaller operations doesn’t necessarily mean it can work at larger operations such as Hibs.

We need to look beyond who’s actually the manager or head coach and address the structure behind the scenes. Dempster put in place a model that looked to offer a club philosophy and continuity which remains when there are changes to manager/head coach. The problems started when some of the key people in those positions at East Mains changed and things have been unravelling ever since to a structure unrecognisable to what we had in place before.

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 08:50 AM

You do realise that LJs record is arguably just as bad as Maloneys?

This reaction isn’t a ‘hot take’. We are ****ing terrible and after 19 games we’ve just endured our 6th horror show. And that’s not including games like Livi away where the first half was abysmal, St J at home where we absolutely folded or Dundee United and Ross County away.

Zambernardi1875
09-11-2022, 08:50 AM
It's not true really. Set up very well, allowed rocky the ball and man marked Kenneh and Newell all match. This forced us to either pass to Melkersen and Henderson who lost it every time or go wide and cross, which was also useless.

Every time rocky got the ball white stopped the pass to Porto and their 2 centre mids stopped the pass to our 2. We would've been significantly better off with Boyle instead of Melkersen.

And how did joe joe super joe newell react to being man marked by a farmer? Dominate him? Dictate play, take the game by the scruff off the neck and get the team back into the game or disappear up his own ****ing arse yet again when the going gets tough.

The Captain....
09-11-2022, 08:59 AM
It's a measure of how poor things are that most of us are giving the proposition serious consideration.

Martindale and his staff are doing an unbelievable job at Livi but I just can't take to him.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

I'm Spartacus
09-11-2022, 09:11 AM
Many people rejecting the hypothetical question just because of his accent, that's terrible if that's the criteria "Aye Lee has a nice voice, he'll do", Lee talks utter waffle, Martindale is a hard working guy who lives and breathes football, Lee I can picture at HT thinking about his first cocktail in Tiger Lily.

What about this for 2 hypothetical questions:

Obileye or Porteous?

Nouble or Newell?

I just want the whole structure ripped up and reviewed, but that ain't going to happen.

Broken Gnome
09-11-2022, 09:20 AM

That's actually quite relevant to our current play, where huge chunks of games look like we're set up to win yet are completely ignorant there might be another side trying to prevent that happening.

Since452
09-11-2022, 09:25 AM
You do realise that LJs record is arguably just as bad as Maloneys?

This reaction isn’t a ‘hot take’. We are ****ing terrible and after 19 games we’ve just endured our 6th horror show. And that’s not including games like Livi away where the first half was abysmal, St J at home where we absolutely folded or Dundee United and Ross County away.

I think the main difference is that last night was like the majority of Maloney's games. I've actually started to enjoy watching Hibs again under LJ and even in our defeats i've seen things that i've liked. Last night was unacceptable though and he's now under serious pressure because of it. As we all know it's a results business.

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 09:27 AM
I think the main difference is that last night was like the majority of Maloney's games. I've actually started to enjoy watching Hibs again under LJ and even in our defeats i've seen things that i've liked. Last night was unacceptable though and he's now under serious pressure because of it.

For the first handful of games of the season I’d have agreed we’ve actually been more enjoyable to watch.

That didn’t last long though and we look almost a carbon copy of last season imo. Plenty of the ball with absolutely no idea what to do with it.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 09:27 AM
And how did joe joe super joe newell react to being man marked by a farmer? Dominate him? Dictate play, take the game by the scruff off the neck and get the team back into the game or disappear up his own ****ing arse yet again when the going gets tough.

Man marked by a fellow professional footballer, you mean? Don't think Joe was that bad really

I'm Spartacus
09-11-2022, 09:30 AM
Man marked by a fellow professional footballer, you mean? Don't think Joe was that bad really

Joe Newell will leave the club and be excellent elsewhere, that's my prediction, some of the balls can be superb.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 09:41 AM
Joe Newell will leave the club and be excellent elsewhere, that's my prediction, some of the balls can be superb.

Indeed. Even last night some great passes. Not his best game at all but certainly not to blame for the level of performance. He can actually control a football so that alone has him as one of our best.

coldingham hibs
09-11-2022, 09:43 AM
Yes

Diclonius
09-11-2022, 09:44 AM
Impressed by Martindale every time I hear him speak. Clearly an intelligent guy. Would be happy with him here.

The accent snobbery is pretty pathetic tbh.

eastterrace
09-11-2022, 09:49 AM
Indeed. Even last night some great passes. Not his best game at all but certainly not to blame for the level of performance. He can actually control a football so that alone has him as one of our best.
Yeh joe is a tidy player who can control a football but he is so slow at releasing the ball so teams get time to get organised by the time the pass is made. We need better in midfield but we’re do u find that type of player .

Fuzzywuzzy
09-11-2022, 10:05 AM
I think when a manager finds their club they find their club. He's doing what he's doing at livi and fair play to him

Hibernian Verse
09-11-2022, 10:14 AM
Martindale has now been at Livi for 2 years and they are bearing the fruits of that. If we appointed Martindale and sacked him after six months like everyone wants after a bad run we would just continue on the merry go round.

Stick with a manager and back him properly not with kids like Livi have done.

Since452
09-11-2022, 10:15 AM
Martindale has now been at Livi for 2 years and they are bearing the fruits of that. If we appointed Martindale and sacked him after six months like everyone wants after a bad run we would just continue on the merry go round.

Correct. The lesson here is giving a manager time.

JeMeSouviens
09-11-2022, 10:18 AM
It depends. Does Martindale employ the sort of tactics he does because it's the best way to get results on their limited budget? Or because he thinks that's the best way to play in general? If it's the former then he'd at least be worth listening to as to how he'd approach managing us.

Anyway, I think everyone bar Ron can see that packing a squad chock full of scattergun signings of young guys with a couple of nifty highlights on youtube in the hope of unearthing the next Haaland is not going to work. So unless we change that, wtf's the point?

JeMeSouviens
09-11-2022, 10:19 AM

And letting him build his own side.

Heedersnvolleys
09-11-2022, 10:24 AM

Think what we should be doing “The lesson here is giving the CORRECT manager time”

Hibernian Verse
09-11-2022, 10:28 AM
Think what we should be doing “The lesson here is giving the CORRECT manager time”

Completely subjective and you don't really know the answer until that time is given.

Donegal Hibby
09-11-2022, 10:29 AM
Can I ask who you think that is ?

Pretty Boy
09-11-2022, 10:47 AM
When it comes to Martindale I always find it odd there seems a crossover between people who wouldn't have Malky MacKay (for non footballing reasons) but would happily take Martindale.

I'm not passing comment on rehabilitation either way but on the face of it both have a past, both took their punishment, both claim to have taken steps to rehabilitate themselves, both claim those steps have been successful and both are now back in football. Are questionable (and I'm being charitable) texts really worse than the crimes Martindale was convicted for?

I'm not being a smart arse here I'm genuinely interested how people weigh one of against the other and decide what wrongdoing they feel can be rehabilitated and what they don't.

Tbh I wouldn't really want any of them from a purely football perspective. Martindale just screams Terry Butcher at ICT to me. He's king of the castle at Livi and it just wouldn't work for him at a bigger club.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 10:51 AM
Yeh joe is a tidy player who can control a football but he is so slow at releasing the ball so teams get time to get organised by the time the pass is made. We need better in midfield but we’re do u find that type of player .

That is just not true. Some of the passes he's made, first time, have been phenomenal. He is being held to a ridiculous standard that even Scott Allan didn't reach consistently.

JeMeSouviens
09-11-2022, 10:53 AM
When it comes to Martindale I always find it odd there seems a crossover between people who wouldn't have Malky MacKay (for non footballing reasons) but would happily take Martindale.

I'm not passing comment on rehabilitation either way but on the face of it both have a past, both took their punishment, both claim to have taken steps to rehabilitate themselves, both claim those steps have been successful and both are now back in football. Are questionable (and I'm being charitable) texts really worse than the crimes Martindale was convicted for?

I'm not being a smart arse here I'm genuinely interested how people weigh one of against the other and decide what wrongdoing they feel can be rehabilitated and what they don't.

Tbh I wouldn't really want any of them from a purely football perspective. Martindale just screams Terry Butcher at ICT to me. He's king of the castle at Livi and it just wouldn't work for him at a bigger club.

I realise this is very subjective but Martindale comes across to me as remorseful in a way that Mackay just doesn't.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 11:00 AM
I realise this is very subjective but Martindale comes across to me as remorseful in a way that Mackay just doesn't.

Aye, years of organised crime will make you a convincing liar.

pacoluna
09-11-2022, 11:06 AM
One of the reasons he's doing well at livi is because he is virtually unsackable, so no real pressure. He pulls all the strings.

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 11:12 AM

I’m one of those that this could be aimed at but the simple answer is I’d take anyone now such is our plight.

I didn’t want Mackay in the summer because he is a racist and a ***** manager. I still don’t want him because he’s a ***** manager but I’m at the point where we’re so bad I’d be willing to accept someone like him or Martindale if they were any good.

I would have said no to Martindale in the summer as well btw. But I do think he’s a genuinely decent manager so I’d consider him.

Since452
09-11-2022, 11:13 AM
I don't think Martindale is the new Guardiola. He's doing a decent job of getting the most out of a limited side by playing to their strengths. Similar to Davidson at St Johnstone. There is no expectation on these teams to play like Barca so they have far less pressure to work under. Anything over and above staying up and they'll be in a job. Hibs is completely different. Need to be top 4/5 and playing a certain style or the fans will be all over you. I don't believe Martindale would be a good fit unless we are planning on putting astroturf in and launching it to a big huddy up front and feeding off scraps.

Northernhibee
09-11-2022, 11:17 AM
Yes, Butcher was the man that was going to bring to Hibs the work rate and team bond that served him well at ICT at the time, but obviously turned into a total disaster.

What works at smaller operations doesn’t necessarily mean it can work at larger operations such as Hibs.

We need to look beyond who’s actually the manager or head coach and address the structure behind the scenes. Dempster put in place a model that looked to offer a club philosophy and continuity which remains when there are changes to manager/head coach. The problems started when some of the key people in those positions at East Mains changed and things have been unravelling ever since to a structure unrecognisable to what we had in place before.
We would never have signed McKirdy under LD.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2022, 11:22 AM
I don't think Martindale is the new Guardiola. He's doing a decent job of getting the most out of a limited side by playing to their strengths. Similar to Davidson at St Johnstone. There is no expectation on these teams to play like Barca so they have far less pressure to work under. Anything over and above staying up and they'll be in a job. Hibs is completely different. Need to be top 4/5 and playing a certain style or the fans will be all over you. I don't believe Martindale would be a good fit unless we are planning on putting astroturf in and launching it to a big huddy up front and feeding off scraps.

There's a lot of truth in this.

Look at Davidson last season. If he had a season like that at Hibs, even with the afterglow of the cup wins, he'd have been out on his erse by February. They had won 3 games by the end of January and lost 8 league games in a row in November, December and January as well as being emptied out the cup by Kelty. There was certainly some grumbling from St Johnstone fans but it never felt like his sacking was imminent.

Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and probably Dundee Utd are all big jobs by Scottish standards and they all come with a pressure and expectation that just doesn't exist at Livingston or St Johnstone. That's not being Billy big baws, it's just the reality.

I'm Spartacus
09-11-2022, 11:46 AM
Yeh joe is a tidy player who can control a football but he is so slow at releasing the ball so teams get time to get organised by the time the pass is made. We need better in midfield but we’re do u find that type of player.

Snodgrass was available after the window closed, I mean I look at signings like that and cannot think why we wouldn't be in for a bit of that business.

At the moment the 'development player' is a disaster of a signing type, I would load up in January with experienced players, the David Marshall type of signing, when Marsh signed I was well up for that type of experience coming in.

I'd take Liam Bridcutt in January, plenty experience, he's only 33 and a defensive midfielder. I would also start sounding out Grant Hanley.

DH1875
09-11-2022, 11:56 AM

I'm the total opposite and don't think he is that remorseful at all. Wouldn't want him anywhere near the club.

Donegal Hibby
09-11-2022, 11:58 AM
I'm the total opposite and don't think he is that remorseful at all. Wouldn't want him anywhere near the club.
Agree 100% with this.

loanheadhibby
09-11-2022, 12:04 PM

I think the problem for Joe is that he has some ability whereas those round about him are very limited. If Joe had a Brebner/Scott Brown/McGeough around him, I think he might flourish.

Sadly he’s not got the desire/ability to drag us through games.

I agree he was not the worst last night for us but he was still pretty dreadful.

On Martindale. Doing a brilliant job at Livi but not for me. Malky McKay same. We’ve been down that road before taking Butcher from ICT.

silverhibee
09-11-2022, 12:12 PM

I think he will struggle to get another club, he will be at Livi for a good time, not that he is a bad manager but his past will hinder him. Pity though as he would be worth a shout.

#2 Double Tap
09-11-2022, 12:16 PM

livi have seen constant progress. there is a big difference sticking with someone who demonstrates some promise and sticking with someone who is clearly not working.

Allyg69
09-11-2022, 12:16 PM
Could any manager do a job with this group of players? I very much doubt it

basehibby
09-11-2022, 12:18 PM
YES! Martindale has done tremendously well at Livi over a period of 3 or 4 years. As I understand it he has a bit of history having done time for some drug deal related thing and that's probably why he hasn't had many suitors despite his good performance.
I'm not condoning that but having served his time and paid back his debt to society I don't see that should be held against him now that he's clearly turned over a new leaf and has developed into a talented football coach.

superfurryhibby
09-11-2022, 12:18 PM
Snodgrass was available after the window closed, I mean I look at signings like that and cannot think why we wouldn't be in for a bit of that business.

At the moment the 'development player' is a disaster of a signing type, I would load up in January with experienced players, the David Marshall type of signing, when Marsh signed I was well up for that type of experience coming in.

I'd take Liam Bridcutt in January, plenty experience, he's only 33 and a defensive midfielder. I would also start sounding out Grant Hanley.

Remind me of the impact Snodgrass has had at Hearts since signing? Even less than McGeady

Whilst I think the club has got the emphasis on signing development type players wrong, I'm not that keen on ageing midfielders either.

Never heard of Liam Bridcutt, but a look at his recent CV tells me he would be hopeless in our league.

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 12:24 PM
Remind me of the impact Snodgrass has had at Hearts since signing? Even less than McGeady

Whilst I think the club has got the emphasis on signing development type players wrong, I'm not that keen on ageing midfielders either.

Never heard of Liam Bridcutt, but a look at his recent CV tells me he would be hopeless in our league.

A hearts fan I was speaking to at work said Snodgrass has been pretty good? Obviously that might just be there opinion but a quick look at kickback would suggest most of them think that.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2022, 12:27 PM
Definitely not.

#2 Double Tap
09-11-2022, 12:28 PM
A hearts fan I was speaking to at work said Snodgrass has been pretty good? Obviously that might just be there opinion but a quick look at kickback would suggest most of them think that.

haha, hearts fans think all their players are superstars, they are a bunch of deluded fan dans.

MikeyS
09-11-2022, 12:31 PM

I was working last night and had to make do with Sportsound providing updates whilst commentating on Livi and I didn't really get the impression they are a lump it long side. Sounded like the best player on the park was a winger called Bahboula or something like that. Destroyed the Dons apparently. Players like Pitman and Shinnie aren't bad either.

Think it's easy to fall in to a trap and think, industrious wee toon, sh*te park, convict manager and automatically thibk they are just hammer throwers.

Not that I would want him in at Hibs mind you

basehibby
09-11-2022, 12:36 PM

Take the point re the bigger club thing. Hibs is certainly a much biger job than Livi and succeeding at Livi guarantees nothing at Hibs. That said everyone has to start somewhere. Alex Ferguson for example started managing at St Mirren!

Re the difference between Martindale and Mackay - quite simply I find Martindale likeable and enjoyable to listen to. Can say neither of the above for MacKay.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2022, 12:48 PM

And the reason for that is we are pish, with a load of players who are pish, and another pish manager appointed by a pish owner.

BILLYHIBS
09-11-2022, 12:54 PM
Yes

Know’s how to motivate players, makes the most of the meagre resources at his disposal, knows Scottish fitba inside out, a good talker comes across really well and knows what is required to win games at our level

Bigger crooks have run our club in the past 😀

Why not he has earned a shot at the big time though not sure we can call ourselves big time these days

MikeyS
09-11-2022, 12:58 PM
Take the point re the bigger club thing. Hibs is certainly a much biger job than Livi and succeeding at Livi guarantees nothing at Hibs. That said everyone has to start somewhere. Alex Ferguson for example started managing at St Mirren!

Re the difference between Martindale and Mackay - quite simply I find Martindale likeable and enjoyable to listen to. Can say neither of the above for MacKay.

Totally agree on the likeable part. I enjoyed his pre match interview last night. He was asked about the park, again, cos Goodwin was getting his excuses in early and what he said is spot on. It might not be to everyone's liking but it's what his club can afford and is within the rules. Also made a great point about any player under 28 will have grown up playing on synthetic parks and its basically an excuse trotted out by opposition.

I'd think only Daz, Stevenson, Hanlon and Newell will have grew up playing on grass from out lot.

cameronw-hfc
09-11-2022, 12:59 PM

Bridcutt in his prime would have been one of the leagues better midfielders. Now im not sure he's got the legs tbf

MikeyS
09-11-2022, 01:07 PM

Totally agree on the likeable part. I enjoyed his pre match interview last night. He was asked about the park, again, cos Goodwin was getting his excuses in early and what he said is spot on. It might not be to everyone's liking but it's what his club can afford and is within the rules. Also made a great point about any player under 28 will have grown up playing on synthetic parks and its basically an excuse trotted out by opposition.

I'd think only Daz, Stevenson, Hanlon and Newell will have grew up playing on grass from out lot.

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 01:26 PM

I’m 32 and I regularly played on parks like Livingstons at a decent level.

Near enough all of our squad will have played more than enough on these sorts of pitches.

Victor
09-11-2022, 01:37 PM
We would have to get a plastic pitch.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 03:28 PM
And the reason for that is we are pish, with a load of players who are pish, and another pish manager appointed by a pish owner.

Or we just had a brutal performance. We didn't look pish easily beating them a month ago?

Wull
09-11-2022, 03:34 PM
I would take him, only downside being the added expense of hiring a translator:wink:
PS, I just changed my photo in tribute to my poor Rosey who passed away this weekend.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2022, 03:36 PM
Or we just had a brutal performance. We didn't look pish easily beating them a month ago?

They are pish too.

Since452
09-11-2022, 03:40 PM
Yes

Know’s how to motivate players, makes the most of the meagre resources at his disposal, knows Scottish fitba inside out, a good talker comes across really well and knows what is required to win games at our level

Bigger crooks have run our club in the past ��

Why not he has earned a shot at the big time though not sure we can call ourselves big time these days

I said that pretty much word for word when we got Butcher from Inverness.

Donegal Hibby
09-11-2022, 03:40 PM
We would have to get a plastic pitch.
Not a new one though .more a old one that's like a worn out carpet :greengrin

Donegal Hibby
09-11-2022, 03:44 PM
I would take him, only downside being the added expense of hiring a translator:wink:
PS, I just changed my photo in tribute to my poor Rosey who passed away this weekend.
Sorry about your Rosey mate , have two collies myself ,it is like losing a friend .

Hibiza
09-11-2022, 04:16 PM

A bit strong but agree.p

A Hi-Bee
09-11-2022, 04:22 PM
NO

Hibs90
09-11-2022, 04:52 PM
This thread is a joke right?

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2022, 04:55 PM
I'd take Martine McCutcheon

wookie70
09-11-2022, 05:10 PM
I'd take him. He makes a group of 11 players better than the sum of its parts, his teams always have purpose and a plan and the players work very hard for him. That for me is about all the qualities I want to see in a manager and we have rarely seen Hibs teams do that as consistently as he has got Livi doing it. I also like the fact he is honest in interviews and calls it simply. He isn't afraid to say a player has made a mistake but it is done as a statement of fact rather than an attack on the player. No idea if he would be a success at Hibs and by the sounds of it he would be on a shoogly peg before a ball was kicked such is the nature of our support.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 05:16 PM
I'd take him. He makes a group of 11 players better than the sum of its parts, his teams always have purpose and a plan and the players work very hard for him. That for me is about all the qualities I want to see in a manager and we have rarely seen Hibs teams do that as consistently as he has got Livi doing it. I also like the fact he is honest in interviews and calls it simply. He isn't afraid to say a player has made a mistake but it is done as a statement of fact rather than an attack on the player. No idea if he would be a success at Hibs and by the sounds of it he would be on a shoogly peg before a ball was kicked such is the nature of our support.

His football is absolutely horrendous. Unwatchable. Hence why no one goes to watch Livi. Livi give thousands of free tickets away and people still don't go.

DIXIHIBS
09-11-2022, 05:20 PM

Tbh most managers coming to hibs would be on the shoogly peg before a ball is kicked. Johnson wasnt exactly universally accepted. Same with Maloney. Cant think off the top of my head any realistic manager that would galvanize the fans right now.

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-11-2022, 05:22 PM
We are all agreed then that if Martindale was offered the job, he would definitely take it? Based on what evidence?? We should stick with Lee and let him have the window to get the fat out of that squad. Minimum requirement is top six at the season end.

wookie70
09-11-2022, 05:35 PM
His football is absolutely horrendous. Unwatchable. Hence why no one goes to watch Livi. Livi give thousands of free tickets away and people still don't go. Unwatchable was Hibs last night.

This season they play the ball on the deck at least as much as we do and are much better playing into channels than us. At least when they hoof it they have a big man up top that is likely to win the ball. He is also urinating with the appendage he has. I think the football would be better with better players and we probably have a better 11 when everyone is fit than Livi and a much larger squad.

gaz1875
09-11-2022, 06:13 PM
His football is absolutely horrendous. Unwatchable. Hence why no one goes to watch Livi. Livi give thousands of free tickets away and people still don't go.

What utter rubbish, they lost a few of their best players from last season and built a team that plays to their capabilities and give everything for the cause week in week out. We capitulate time and time again. We were worse than Livi last seasons and this season so far and the league table proves that. I couldn't give away a free ticket last night, and if they have another inept performance next week, I could be trying to get rid of my ticket also.

Crab apple
09-11-2022, 06:50 PM
Big no from me. If LJ gets punted next year then my choice would be Michael O'Neil.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 07:10 PM
What utter rubbish, they lost a few of their best players from last season and built a team that plays to their capabilities and give everything for the cause week in week out. We capitulate time and time again. We were worse than Livi last seasons and this season so far and the league table proves that. I couldn't give away a free ticket last night, and if they have another inept performance next week, I could be trying to get rid of my ticket also.

''we capitulate time and time again''

1 more inept performance and you're going to get rid of your ticket? Bit ironic to accuse the team of lacking mental strength, no?

Unwatchable was Hibs last night.

This season they play the ball on the deck at least as much as we do and are much better playing into channels than us. At least when they hoof it they have a big man up top that is likely to win the ball. He is also urinating with the appendage he has. I think the football would be better with better players and we probably have a better 11 when everyone is fit than Livi and a much larger squad.

Yes. Multiply last night by 38, you'd have Hibs under Martindale. Its really painful to watch.

wookie70
09-11-2022, 07:23 PM
''we capitulate time and time again''

1 more inept performance and you're going to get rid of your ticket? Bit ironic to accuse the team of lacking mental strength, no?

Yes. Multiply last night by 38, you'd have Hibs under Martindale. Its really painful to watch.
we will have to agree to disagree. Livi are nowhere near as bad to watch as many think. They play some decent football. They are rarely as appalling as we were last night. I said last season around this point they would finish above us after watching them a couple of times. I think that will be the case again this season imo and it wouldn't surprise me if they get in the top six this year.

high bee
09-11-2022, 07:53 PM
The problem with Martindale, Butcher etc is they’re great at geeing up a team of underdogs to put their bodies on the line and play a certain system.

I don’t think they can translate this into a winning team when the expectation is to win and to take the game to the opposition. We saw the results with Butcher because he read the riot act and players at a bigger club don’t respond.

WestCoastHibby
09-11-2022, 08:02 PM
Impressed by Martindale every time I hear him speak. Clearly an intelligent guy. Would be happy with him here.

The accent snobbery is pretty pathetic tbh.

Yep, if thats the nonsense that stops someone perfectly capable of doing a job then we’ve not really moved forward in recent years

Hibees1973
09-11-2022, 08:10 PM
No.

WeeRussell
09-11-2022, 08:10 PM

Asking because you’ve said it a couple of times now, but is Livingston full of historically loyal football fans that are staying away because of Martindale’s style?

I was under the impression it’s just like that at Livingston.

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 08:14 PM
Asking because you’ve said it a couple of times now, but is Livingston full of historically loyal football fans that are staying away because of Martindale’s style?

I was under the impression it’s just like that at Livingston.

:agree:

The idea that Martindale is keeping fans away is laughable.

Donegal Hibby
09-11-2022, 08:19 PM
:agree:

The idea that Martindale is keeping fans away is laughable.
Can't believe there's even a thread on him😂

Musselbound
09-11-2022, 08:30 PM
I think from several threads it’s becoming clear it doesn’t matter who is in charge if recruitment doesn’t improve

Exactly where I am at. Martindale has done well at Livy but Hibs job has very different set of problems and challenges.

Iain G
09-11-2022, 08:32 PM
**** no!!!

Jamesie
09-11-2022, 08:45 PM
I’d have problems with Hibs appointing Martindale on numerous levels. Very close to the not-renewing-season-ticket threshold, TBH.

HibeeHibernia
09-11-2022, 09:20 PM
pep guardiola couldn't get a tune of this team never mind wee davey fartindale lol

JamesHFC
09-11-2022, 09:24 PM
I think he is at a place which suits him perfectly, I don't think he would last long here.

JimBHibees
09-11-2022, 09:33 PM
I’d have problems with Hibs appointing Martindale on numerous levels. Very close to the not-renewing-season-ticket threshold, TBH.

Not the only one I am sure

Criswell
10-11-2022, 12:31 AM
I personally wouldn't take him. But i'm not sure any manager could make a real improvement on the team we have at the moment.

Criswell
10-11-2022, 12:42 AM
The squad we have have at present would test any manager's ability to produce an even vaguely competitive team.

cameronw-hfc
10-11-2022, 05:22 AM

I get it with him, but the fact Malky Mackay is mentioned by some and is still involved in the game is also pretty abused. Two managers that should never be close to Hibs for various reasons

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2022, 08:11 AM
I get it with him, but the fact Malky Mackay is mentioned by some and is still involved in the game is also pretty abused. Two managers that should never be close to Hibs for various reasons

Is one of them they beat us?

h185forever
10-11-2022, 09:25 AM
Changing manager again, without being able to change 70% + of the squad will achieve little if anything. I like a lot of the players but most just are t right for the SPFL. It’s too physical for them . And why oh why can’t a lot of our players manage a full 90 minutes without blowing out of their erses

Onion
10-11-2022, 10:01 AM
Problem isn't the manager at Hibs, it's the players. New manager might be able to squeeze a little more out of this lot but probably not enough to save his job. I fear, these players have a few more sackings in them, before they're moved on. Biggest question is why all of a sudden will our recruitment team be capable of bringing in better, when they have failed so miserably for last 2 years.

Being in "transition" would be progress at this point, as it currently feel like a death spiral.

Iain G
10-11-2022, 04:03 PM
In saying that, Martin Dale is probably the best fit manager for us spoon burners 😁

Will be good when we are shooting up the slope!

marinello59
10-11-2022, 06:40 PM
No.
We can do better.

keep the faith
10-11-2022, 08:00 PM
I'm definitely saving this thread where posters pitched David Martindale over Lee Johnson. Peak hibs net hysteria. Utter madness.

O'Rourke3
10-11-2022, 09:46 PM
Em, no

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

cameronw-hfc
11-11-2022, 02:28 AM
Is one of them they beat us?

Not bothered about that, Butchers teams beat us all the time. Doesn't mean he was any good. I'd much rather not have a racist, homophobic, xenophobic misogynist at the club, and ideally not a former drug mule, although Martindale has at least shown remorse and tried to better himself. Malky gave a half hearted apology and has never spoke about it since. Probably done a mandatory anti-racism course that teaches absolutely nothing.

Edit- he actually tried to excuse it by saying it was 3/4 texts out of 10,000, and I forgot the anti-Semitic part too.

Fergus52
11-11-2022, 08:23 AM
Can't believe the same folk who attacked Ross for playing negative football (despite getting us third) want Martindale.

The odd clip on sportscene where they score a nice goal doesn't mean they play good football.

They're the only side in the league which allow the opposition side significantly more touches of the ball in every part of the pitch except their own box.

Does anyone on here honestly think the fans at Easter road would accept sitting deep with ten men always behind the ball, conceding possession to the other team everywhere but our own box, and getting 2 or 3 counter attacks and a few corners each game as opportunities to score from. Would be dire.

basehibby
11-11-2022, 12:09 PM
NB - want to make it clear although I answered YES to the OP that does NOT mean I want our current manager sacked as some seem to interpret.