PDA

View Full Version : The basics

Smartie
08-11-2022, 10:14 PM
Anyone else as shocked as I was about our inability to do the most very basic tasks tonight?

I’m talking about weight of pass, movement, first touch, being on your toes etc?

We didn’t look like a professional football side, it was pub league standard at times.

What were the overhit crosses all about? Fair enough, they’ll happen from time to time but there was a 5 minute spell or so during that second half that was just shocking.

Some of the defending at both goals looked minging on first viewing but I’ll need to see them back.

Is it coaching?

Players not good enough?

Just an off night?

The opposition forcing us into mistakes?

We can discuss formations, tactics and the like all we want but if players can’t do the basics then what’s the point?

It was incredibly sloppy imo and the folk who run that “poor quality Scottish football” Twitter page would have had a field day with it.

JamesHFC
08-11-2022, 10:16 PM
Conceded 7 goals from our last 18 corners against us or something? Horrendous.

RossScott1991
08-11-2022, 10:17 PM
We are basically rubbish

Craig_in_Prague
08-11-2022, 10:19 PM
Except a handful of teams in about 30 years, Hibs have been pants.
I'm surprised, when people are surprised, that Hibs are pants.

CMac1988
08-11-2022, 10:24 PM
Continuously poor recruitment means that when the few decent players we have are in a rut (which happens far too often) then everything goes to ****. Cadden has been poor for a while but it's not for a lack of effort. When things aren't working you get dropped/replaced allowing you a chance to rest and look tonight for your place again. However we have no one to replace him. We seen it for years with Stevenson. He just had to ride out a bad spell which could last week's. FYI I'm focusing on Cadden as one of the better players who has nowhere to hide when things aren't going well because we've got plenty of players in midfield to replace poor players with somehow seemingly worse ones. Others are hung out to dry more often than not. Dreadful squad.

CL0762
08-11-2022, 10:26 PM
Conceded 7 goals from our last 18 corners against us or something? Horrendous.

Yet the season we finished 3rd we didn’t concede a single goal from a set piece.

And the 2 that played centre half for the majority of that season if not all of it, are currently playing centre half right now.

California-Hibs
09-11-2022, 01:13 AM
Anyone else as shocked as I was about our inability to do the most very basic tasks tonight?

I’m talking about weight of pass, movement, first touch, being on your toes etc?

We didn’t look like a professional football side, it was pub league standard at times.

What were the overhit crosses all about? Fair enough, they’ll happen from time to time but there was a 5 minute spell or so during that second half that was just shocking.

Some of the defending at both goals looked minging on first viewing but I’ll need to see them back.

Is it coaching?

Players not good enough?

Just an off night?

The opposition forcing us into mistakes?

We can discuss formations, tactics and the like all we want but if players can’t do the basics then what’s the point?

It was incredibly sloppy imo and the folk who run that “poor quality Scottish football” Twitter page would have had a field day with it.

Said the exact same thing to my dad. Folk coming out with 'because Hibs are pants' etc etc, it wasn't that way when we went on a 4 game winning streak not that long ago, or when we comfortably beat St Mirren etc
That from Hibs last night was mindblowing and by far the worst its been. It was almost like they were at it and doing it on purpose (obviously not the case) but the lack of doing the basics was truely that bad across the whole team.

I'm hoping its a game that can be put into isolation, because it truely was right up there in terms of 'alarmingly bad'.

Folk have made a consistent great point about the choice to start Mitchell.... then choose to bring on a finished Stevenson.....all while our first choice left back and by no means worst signing, sat on the bench. Thats frightening that Johnson done that. Mitchell goes on to fall into the category of not being able to do the basics, when you'd expect rare starts for him and Merkerson that both would have been bursting a gut to impress. Up until Celtic away we were in a good spot and playing 433 and things were night and day better to recent times where he's ripped it up, went to a 352 and is making some incredibly baffling selections!

So p***ed off with that last night.

hibsbollah
09-11-2022, 05:37 AM
Completely agree Smartie. I usually find the positives to take from a defeat, but I’m struggling to remember a worse performance, ever, in my long years of watching Hibs. Just the absolute basics missing. How many awful crosses Chrissy? How many times do you crap out of a challenge Ewan? Or not bother going up for a header Elias? A new low.

hibee1875
09-11-2022, 06:07 AM
Worst performance in a long long time.

Porteous needs to stop punting the ball up the pitch and then shouting at anyone any everyone for not receiving it.

Henderson needs to get some upper body strength. If he doesn’t make it here that’s his career all but finished. He’ll be playing for the likes of Falkirk for the rest of his career.

Melkerson, where’s his first touch? Also looks like he ****s the bed any challenge with a CH.

Mitchel, wtf even was that? Did he not warm up and pull something or was he just unwilling to run?

Cadden, couldn’t beat the first man.

Hanlon, inability to control the ball then clear his lines cost us the second goal.

Newell. Missing.

Youan, horrific first touch and bad decision making

JimBHibees
09-11-2022, 06:16 AM
Totally agree with OP some of them had a touch of a trampoline absolutely awful. Passes behind players when the ball played just in front of them would help. Both strikers total inability to hold the ball up was schoolboy stuff get your body between defender and the ball again quality of pass so poor. No aggression second to every ball. Tortuous performance

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 06:47 AM
I’m not all that surprised.

The players are crap. It stands to reason they’ll put in some very crap performances.

Unfortunately I suspect that won’t be the last and I wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if the next one comes against Killie on Saturday.