Pages : [1] 2

Diclonius
08-11-2022, 08:29 PM
Sell while we still have value.

It's not working.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2022, 08:31 PM
He's a huge part of the problem.

You become a pariah for saying so but it's true.

Hibs90
08-11-2022, 08:32 PM
Can take Kensell and Johnson with him.

Northernhibee
08-11-2022, 08:32 PM
Sack your son, sell up, just give us our club back.

MWHIBBIES
08-11-2022, 08:33 PM
He's a ****ing idiot with no idea how to run a football club. Never has. We should've hounded him out when he appointed his son.

Heisenberg
08-11-2022, 08:33 PM
Ben and Ian have never worked in the football department of any club before and it’s showing. A complete shambles on the park again. To have so many of the same players starting tonight from last season says it all.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 08:34 PM
Get yourself, your son and your recruitment team to **** out our club.

Vault Boy
08-11-2022, 08:34 PM
Of course markets are struggling just now, but top tier British football teams are a very finite resource. Especially in a beautiful capital city. I’m sure you’ll find someone, Ron. Off you pop.

SteveHFC
08-11-2022, 08:35 PM
Get yourself, your son and your recruitment team to **** out our club.

This with capital letters.

marinello59
08-11-2022, 08:35 PM
Expect another ‘discussion’ with the fans where he will speak at length again but still say absolutely nothing meaningful. He is slowly breaking his toy.

darwenhibby
08-11-2022, 08:37 PM
Who would want to buy us??

Niagara Lad
08-11-2022, 08:37 PM
Nothing but a typical American snake oil salesman. Ripped the heart out of this club. The sooner he’s gone the better.

The Captain....
08-11-2022, 08:38 PM
He's a huge part of the problem.

You become a pariah for saying so but it's true.50 years of attending ER knocked on the head under the Gordon's 'stewardship'. I'll come back when they've gone. We're absolutely toothless as a club. Lacking any passion or identity.

Sent from my SM-S906B using Tapatalk

LunasBoots
08-11-2022, 08:38 PM
Talks alot to appease the fans but this isn't working Ron.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2022, 08:39 PM
Expect another ‘discussion’ with the fans where he will speak at length again but still say absolutely nothing meaningful. He is slowly breaking his toy.

He can pretend he founded Hibs Kids and a whole load of staff left through choice again and people will be eating from the palm of hand once more.

Liam89
08-11-2022, 08:50 PM
You are all daft, he's put money into the club, look at the amount of signings we've made and renovations made to stadium etc.

Some new football execs are needed under Ron, that's the issue. If Ron throws his toys out of the pram because of fans like you all then where the **** does that leave us?

Sir David Gray
08-11-2022, 08:54 PM
I've said it for months now and still stick by it, Gordon and his structure is a huge part of the problem at the club and until things change we will go nowhere under him.

Either change the way the club is run or get out.

Vault Boy
08-11-2022, 08:55 PM
You are all daft, he's put money into the club, look at the amount of signings we've made and renovations made to stadium etc.

Some new football execs are needed under Ron, that's the issue. If Ron throws his toys out of the pram because of fans like you all then where the **** does that leave us?

More importantly, look at the quality of signings we’ve made. He’s delusional. Don’t join him in that.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 08:56 PM

At least we’ve got a pretty stadium.

If he goes out and surrounds himself with competent football people we wouldn’t be in this mess. Instead he inexplicably gives one of the most important football jobs at the club to his son, a wine salesman with no background in football.

The guy is a ****ing clown.

Scotty Leither
08-11-2022, 08:56 PM

I’m in the Albion Bar right now. You’re lucky if there’s 30 people here. That’s his new reality if he doesn’t spend money on the team. I reckon we cleared about £800k on the Boyle deal; add on the Doig money and what are we spending on the team as a % of that money we’ve brought in?

It’s all arse for tit right now at Easter Road, and somebody close to Gordon needs to grow a set of bollocks and tell him that, because it seems to be escaping him that it goes beyond the manager.

What price relegation, Ron?

SickBoy32
08-11-2022, 08:57 PM
I fear we will continue to get worse the longer Ian Gordon is allowed to play moneyball with our club

The total mess of a transfer policy in January and summer 22 is now coming home to roost

Feels a long time ago we used to laugh at the jambos for Malaury Martin etc on 5 year deals , we’re now saddled with a raft of terrible players for the next few years.

Tavares wouldny get a game at mussy athletic

cabbageandribs1875
08-11-2022, 08:57 PM
but what about Hospitality :boo hoo:

cabbageandribs1875
08-11-2022, 08:58 PM
another two seasons and we will be in the championship

1/10 on bet365

Nicho87
08-11-2022, 08:58 PM
Least we’re the greenest club in Scotland

LunasBoots
08-11-2022, 09:00 PM

OK Ron.

Pagan Hibernia
08-11-2022, 09:00 PM
Who would want to buy us??

HSL. If only they had the cash to do so.

CL0762
08-11-2022, 09:01 PM
Called this out in the summer, got dogs abuse for it.

While the owner has his son as the HEAD of recruitment, we will go absolutely ****ing NOWHERE.

He can pretend all he wants, he has his son with zero experience of football, in arguably the most important off field role at the club.

If this happened under Petrie there would’ve been heads on a spike.

Why are we accepting this?

GreenGray
08-11-2022, 09:01 PM
First time in my life time we splash cash and there’s no one with the ability to spend it wisely. ****ing sickening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diclonius
08-11-2022, 09:02 PM
Said it before and I'll say it again - appointing your son as head of recruitment is Romanov level ****. Difference is Gordon hasn't won anything.

Stokesy's on fire
Businesses rot from the top down Ron Gordon out

cabbageandribs1875
HSL. If only they had the cash to do so.

just a pity RG stopped HSL buying more shares

Vault Boy
Called this out in the summer, got dogs abuse for it.

While the owner has his son as the HEAD of recruitment, we will go absolutely ****ing NOWHERE.

He can pretend all he wants, he has his son with zero experience of football, in arguably the most important off field role at the club.

If this happened under Petrie there would’ve been heads on a spike.

Why are we accepting this?

Because the club spun a line about Ian being merely a cog in a larger recruitment machine and many of us bleated it back as if it was true. A truly unhinged appointment, the reddest of red flags.

Steve20
08-11-2022, 09:05 PM
He’ll make another commercial partnership, do an interview that will have people lapping up his nonsense again and then we’ll make another 8-9 garbage signings next summer and the whole thing repeats.

He’s not got a clue how to make a football club a success. It’s a shambles.

#2 Double Tap

No chance he will do that again, he will know what’s coming. Before he had the benefit of the doubt. The anger is starting, just look at this thread.

Pagan Hibernia

yep. A sh*thouse move that was and one I haven’t really forgiven him for.

CL0762
08-11-2022, 09:06 PM
Because the club spun a line about Ian being merely a cog in a larger recruitment machine and many of us bleated it back as if it was true. A truly unhinged appointment, the reddest of red flags.

Posters (not you) were more interested in sources rather than fronting up what it was.

An absolute sham. Appointing people with zero experience in the way of running a club, in a club that needed some solid steering with experienced individuals at the head of it.

HibbyAndy
08-11-2022, 09:06 PM
Can we call him Ron the con yet ?

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 09:10 PM
Posters (not you) were more interested in sources rather than fronting up what it was.

An absolute sham. Appointing people with zero experience in the way of running a club, in a club that needed some solid steering with experienced individuals at the head of it.

:agree:

The guy is a ****ing lying rat.

My sons just doing an admin role, I just gave him a fancy title that makes it sound like he’s something he’s not.

Aye, ok Ron. GTF.

Cropley10
08-11-2022, 09:10 PM
I called him Wrong Gordon months ago and got absolute dogs abuse, and since then left this board alone. If Petrie had his son in charge of recruitment there’d have been complete uproar.

Jim44
08-11-2022, 09:11 PM
Paraphrasing here, but, RG said, somewhat cynically, that if anyone thinks they can do better than me, put their money where their mouth is. Surely that individual is out there somewhere and has the balls to buy him out.

MagicSwirlingShip
08-11-2022, 09:14 PM
Paraphrasing here, but, RG said, somewhat cynically, that if anyone thinks they can do better than me, put their money where their mouth is. Surely that individual is out there somewhere and has the balls to buy him out.

Tom Farmer said similarly for 25 odd years

hibsforeurope
08-11-2022, 09:14 PM
There’s absolutely no way get this message over effectively, the powers that be will just ignore it. There’s absolutely zero accountability within the higher echelons at the club. The absent owner, the invisible football department head, a total shambles.

paddy1875
08-11-2022, 09:16 PM
This will end up like Ellis short and Sunderland

tamig
08-11-2022, 09:17 PM
I fear we will continue to get worse the longer Ian Gordon is allowed to play moneyball with our club

The total mess of a transfer policy in January and summer 22 is now coming home to roost

Feels a long time ago we used to laugh at the jambos for Malaury Martin etc on 5 year deals , we’re now saddled with a raft of terrible players for the next few years.

Tavares wouldny get a game at mussy athletic

Tavares was one of the few bright spots tonight. Or had you left by that stage?

Scorrie
08-11-2022, 09:17 PM
There’s absolutely no way get this message over effectively, the powers that be will just ignore it. There’s absolutely zero accountability within the higher echelons at the club. The absent owner, the invisible football department head, a total shambles.

I think gates of less than 5000 and no hospitality bookings will get the message across. That’s the language our owners understand

Scotty Leither
08-11-2022, 09:18 PM

What did he do exactly???

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2022, 09:19 PM

My god are you serious?

zitelli62
08-11-2022, 09:22 PM
Give the guy a break we've got big screens and fancy advertising boards what could go wrong.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2022, 09:27 PM
My god are you serious?

Tbf he jumped about a couple of times when he didn't get the ball, hit 2 crosses straight out of play and got in a mini scrap with a Ross County player.

I noticed him which is more than can be said for the man he replaced.

SickBoy32
08-11-2022, 09:28 PM

Frightening opinion tbh , the guy is so far away from being an SPL level player

Nah stayed til the bitter end tonight ta

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 09:29 PM

Err.. no.

Carheenlea
08-11-2022, 09:34 PM
Is Ben Kensell still at the club? (And that’s a serious question BTW)

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 09:35 PM
Is Ben Kensell still at the club? (And that’s a serious question BTW)

Yup.

He has went awfy quiet though.

Smartie
08-11-2022, 09:36 PM
Ron could do himself a huge favour by recognising his son is central to most of our current woes.

Ian will be Ron’s fatal mistake at Hibs.

zitelli62
08-11-2022, 09:38 PM
What happened to the manager we nearly got but wouldn't come to hibs as he wanted his own staff picking players that's right he got the Blackburn job who happen to be second in the championship well done hibs.

Benny Brazil

Maybe not a bright spot - but at least he wanted to take a player on and try and get past him - no-one else did.

Carheenlea
Yup.

Cheers. Genuinely wasn’t sure if was still here or had moved on.

Rob
08-11-2022, 09:41 PM
Not only that, he diluted our shareholding by issuing more shares. I think we had around 20% of the shares and now only 15%, but stand to be corrected.

WhileTheChief..
08-11-2022, 09:42 PM

Yup, too many of lap up what we're told and accept it as fact and the best way.

RG said he thought our squad was strong and that McGeady was a quality signing.

Talk of red flags!!

Not So Young
08-11-2022, 09:43 PM
Said it before and I'll say it again - appointing your son as head of recruitment is Romanov level ****. Difference is Gordon hasn't won anything.

That's the truth

CL0762
08-11-2022, 09:44 PM

The guy is a ****ing lying rat.

My sons just doing an admin role, I just gave him a fancy title that makes it sound like he’s something he’s not.

Aye, ok Ron. GTF.

He’s not the head of recruitment. He just heads up a team of recruiters.

😂😂

WhileTheChief..
08-11-2022, 09:44 PM
Yup.

They all have, not heard a peep for months. Probably for the best mind you.

I'm not really interested in what they say.I want to see what they do in January, if anything. I don't have any faith in them learning from their blindingly obvious mistakes.

HibeeSince85
08-11-2022, 09:48 PM

I agree with this. The commercial success and the actual club are developing nicely, he just knows naff all about running the football side and hopefully the other directors are pointing this out. A director of football who is experienced is a must from a purely business perspective and he understands business.

Just_Jimmy
08-11-2022, 10:00 PM
He's our Mike Ashley. Minimum investment to trick the fan base.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

jeffers
08-11-2022, 10:04 PM
He's our Mike Ashley. Minimum investment to trick the fan base.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

He was clear about that from the beginning, but he has managed to increase revenue and we are paying fees and much higher wages than ever before. I still think his intentions are good but his appointments have been dreadful and I refuse to believe his spin on the role of his son.

Tambo
08-11-2022, 10:04 PM
He means good but as we all know would be much better if he took a step back and let someone run the club who knows what there doing.

Overall we have been poor on the pitch since he arrived apart from the 3rd season which still had failures.

Hibs will always be a team of ups and downs but when Ron arrived I was expecting much more on the pitch and is it really worth the money to get rid and start again.

Should get rid of most behind the scene before a new manager

Things have been a lot worse in recent years but how long can the fans take?

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 10:05 PM
He was clear about that from the beginning, but he has managed to increase revenue and we are paying fees and much higher wages than ever before. I still think his intentions are good but his appointments have been dreadful and I refuse to believe his spin on the role of his son.

His explanation for the role of his son is a blatant lie.

He’s the head of recruitment at a football team but that is actually just an admin role? :faf:

Who’s the actual head of recruitment if it’s not Ian then, Ron?

cabbageandribs1875
08-11-2022, 10:08 PM
Not only that, he diluted our shareholding by issuing more shares. I think we had around 20% of the shares and now only 15%, but stand to be corrected.

i actually thought it was 28% ? but i'm probably wrong as well :greengrin

jeffers
08-11-2022, 10:11 PM

He’s the head of recruitment at a football team but that is actually just an admin role? :faf:

Absoluteiy. Been told by someone with good contacts that Gordon jnr does scout players and it was him who identified Mueller.

CMac1988
08-11-2022, 10:12 PM
He means good but as we all know would be much better if he took a step back and let someone run the club who knows what there doing.

I thought that's why he brought in CEO Ben Kensell? Truth be told Ron's in charge of everything, no doubt followed by his son then Ben. Ian's position needs to change if he's to stick around (would be happy to see him gone but thatbaint going to happen) and the recruitment team needs overhauled. I can't keep hearing from Ron that we have a top class team behind the scenes.

Commercially things are improving which is good but as always it's the football that matters and ultimately our commercial ventures will decline quickly once the support dwindles which will happen if things keep going at the rate they're going.

Carheenlea
08-11-2022, 10:19 PM
Since tearing up the footballing department model put in place by Leeann Dempster, the turnover of managers is surely evidence to Ron Gordon that the structure he put in place is failing, and failing badly. If we lose on Saturday, his previous history of firing managers will likely see him dispense with another.

Recruiting a new manager while keeping the structure at East Mains the same is simply a recipe for two managers a season going forward as long as that structure, or rather, the personnel operating the football department, remains in place.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 10:20 PM
Absoluteiy. Been told by someone with good contacts that Gordon jnr does scout players and it was him who identified Mueller.

A sommelier identifying football players.

Sums us up.

Pretty Boy
08-11-2022, 10:21 PM

I don't think anyone really believes Ian Gordon isn't directly involved in identifying and recruiting players.

The repeated defence by Ron of a recruitment team and strategy that had squandered hundred of thousands of pounds of his money should be proof enough.

Actions speak louder than words and all that. At least 15 dud signings in 3 windows and the head of recruitment is still in situ. Says it all. Daddy's boy isn't bored of his plaything just yet.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 10:22 PM
I don't think anyone really believes Ian Gordon isn't directly involved in identifying and recruiting players.

The repeated defence by Ron of a recruitment team and strategy that had squandered hundred of thousands of pounds of his money should be proof enough.

The fact Ron Gordon thinks he can (really badly) lie his way out of the appointment should have set off alarm bells for every single fan.

CL0762
08-11-2022, 10:23 PM

Ian Gordon gets his player recommendations from watching wyscout.

He’s playing real life football manager and it shows.

Unseen work
08-11-2022, 10:25 PM
Not arsed about Ron Gordon as it stands.

The players on the pitch are performing really poorly and that is on them

Recruitment should be better but when you consider Nisbet, Boyle and McGeady are all unavailable there’s not much wonder why we’re struggling to score - they’re arguably our starting front 3.

Those on the park should have enough to create though

Sir David Gray
08-11-2022, 10:25 PM
The fact Ron Gordon thinks he can (really badly) lie his way out of the appointment should have set off alarm bells for every single fan.

It was a massive red flag for me the moment I heard he had been appointed into that role and even more so that it wasn't announced publicly.

It wasn't a popular point of view at that stage of course but nothing that has happened since has changed my mind on the subject.

Scotty Leither
08-11-2022, 10:26 PM

Meuller was 100% Ian Gordon's signing.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 10:26 PM
Ian Gordon gets his player recommendations from watching wyscout.

He’s playing real life football manager and it shows.

If I’m an agent of a foreign laddie with an exotic name who’s close to falling out of full time football I’d be creating the best highlights package I could and sending it over to Ian knowing there’s a good chance he’d be thick enough to fall for it.

Hibees1973
08-11-2022, 10:28 PM
I was looking forward to tonight.

Normally I sit in the East Stand but I took the opportunity from a mate to sit in the centre of the West Stand. I had a walk around the new hospitality lounges for the first time and had a wee drink and a bite to eat. There was a jovial atmosphere in the lounges beforehand, which were really busy with an eclectic mix of people. I had a nice cool pint and a wee savoury snack, lovely. Really set me up for some entertainment on the field.

Walking up to my seat with my pal I remarked that the last time I was in the West Stand was the last Hibs game my Dad (incidentally he was a Yam) attended before he died a couple of years back. Hibs played Asteras Tripolis that night and made a terrific comeback with an attacking, aggressive 2nd half performance.

Well, tonight's performance was light years away from that.

Which brings me to my main points. Thanks Ron for the hospitality suites and my nice wee drink and snack. However, since you took over the club, brought in your son, Kensall and appointed a couple of disastrous managers, the team on the park has got progressively worse. We have seen decent people fired at the club in recent years. Even some who gave up their time voluntarily, yet they were told they were no longer needed. Tonight was the lowest point of Ron's tenure at the club in my opinion.

I watched players such as Henderson, Jair, Youan, Kenneh, Mitchell and Melkersen fail to even do the basics right. I could mention others but these guys are some of our most recent signings which is a disgrace. I've posted numerous times that most of the new players are not good enough and recruitment is shocking. I witnessed Johnson bring on Stevenson in the place of a yet again injured Mitchell. Cabraja was brought in to replace the likes of Stevenson but remained on the bench. Astonishing.

Anyway, Ron has said in the past he has had turned down offers to buy Hibs. It's now time for him to pay off, out of his own pocket, all the dross signed in last couple of transfer windows. Put the club up for sale then go back to America. Take his son, Kensall and Johnson with him.

Ron's time is up. Tonight's performance was unacceptable and Johnson should be sacked immediately. Put David Gray in charge again until the ownership of the club is complete. Then hopefully the new owner will appoint qualified, experienced people into the football roles at the club.

The legacy of Ron will be these hospitality suites. However, even a cool pint and a snack looking over to the pitch cuts no ice when the team on the park sank to the levels it did tonight.

Colinton Hibby
08-11-2022, 10:53 PM
His son is not in charge of recruitment. It’s disingenuous to say so. He’s the manager of that department but to say he runs that side of it is just daft. That said, the recruitment at our club is a joke and has been for a while. We signed god knows how many players in the summer and we are still pissing about with Hanlon and Stevenson at the back. No wonder we are getting pumped by the likes of St Johnstone and Ross County.

The Harp Awakes
08-11-2022, 11:19 PM
I can see him jacking it in at the end of the season.

The fans have given him the benefit of the doubt, but his main mistake has been filling key positions with people who have not got a clue how to run a football club.

Naive and mediocre managerial appointments and a massively oversized squad which lacks any real quality. Throw in continually signing players of questionable fitness who then end up long term injured and it all adds up to failure on the pitch.

Recruitment has been a shambles from top to bottom.

NAE NOOKIE
09-11-2022, 12:59 AM
I can see him jacking it in at the end of the season.

The fans have given him the benefit of the doubt, but his main mistake has been filling key positions with people who have not got a clue how to run a football club.

Naive and mediocre managerial appointments and a massively oversized squad which lacks any real quality. Throw in continually signing players of questionable fitness who then end up long term injured and it all adds up to failure on the pitch.

Recruitment has been a shambles from top to bottom.

I've been happy to give Ron Gordon every benefit of the doubt because I genuinely feel he does want the club to be a success. When it comes to finding revenue streams to increase the clubs spending power there's no doubt he has been pretty successful.

But the trouble is I'm all of a sudden being hit with a terrible feeling of deja vu .... Rod Petrie was an example of where Ron Gordon is now, he was a great administrator, a sound businessman and a guy who could squeeze the last penny out of a transfer deal, Gordon knows all about increasing revenue with off field sponsorship deals and the like.

But what Petrie failed to comprehend and Ron Gordon seems to be mirroring is that the best way to add value to a club and increase revenue is by making it a success on the pitch. Petrie failed miserably to pave the way for manager after manager to have anything like a quality squad by keeping a tight rein on the purse strings, even when relegation was staring us in the face and a decent striker might have saved us. Gordon is prepared to spend money, but has a 'team' of recruitment staff who have identified a host of players who either cant break into the first team, or who simply aren't up to the job when they do, the money has been spent, but so far the return for it is beyond woeful.

Can he sack another manager? If he does LJ for all his part in our bad run will not be unreasonable to point out the lack of quality, not to mention experience, he has been given to work with ... yes you can point to McGeady, but he was a risk and it's one that so far has failed to pay off. Would another manager really be able to make a silk purse out of what is rapidly being shown up as a pigs ear of a squad?

Having spent what is for us a vast amount of money on the likes of Melkersen and McKirdy and a load of untried youngsters like Henderson,Youan, Bojang, Kenneh and Tavares the question has to be exactly how much is there to spend in January and even if there is something in the pot it brings its own problems. Firstly, the January window is notorious for being the one where quality players are thin on the ground, even for this level and secondly, just how far can we afford to extend the wage bill when we already have so many players on our books, with half of the ones we might want to shift on on long term contracts ... I can't believe Tavares is on 4 years.

The trouble is I for one can't see a quick fix for any of this and much as I do not wish Ron Gordon any ill will perhaps the best legacy he could leave this club with as things stand just now would be to scour the earth for a buyer, and one with far deeper pockets than he has.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-11-2022, 05:12 AM
Kensall needs a role change.
Gordon Jr needs punted.
Director of Football appointed.
Head of Recruitment appointed. A proper one.
Chequebook opened in January.
Manager needs to be heavily involved in recruitment.

There’s six key action points for starters.

I don’t care how good people say Ian Gordon is, he should never have been there in the first place.

Since90+2
09-11-2022, 05:38 AM
His son is not in charge of recruitment. It’s disingenuous to say so. He’s the manager of that department but to say he runs that side of it is just daft. That said, the recruitment at our club is a joke and has been for a while. We signed god knows how many players in the summer and we are still pissing about with Hanlon and Stevenson at the back. No wonder we are getting pumped by the likes of St Johnstone and Ross County.

He's the Head of Recruitment ffs.

You could argue over the semantics of the exact dynamics of that role, but one thing that can't be argued is he has a very senior role in recruitment at the club, despite having absolutely no experience whatsoever of recruiting football players.

Cropley10
09-11-2022, 06:14 AM

That’s an absolutely ludicrous point. If you are the manager of a department, you are the Head of it. The clue is in the title. Wrong Gordon has his son as the Head of Recruitment. And that is why it has all gone wrong, Wrong.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2022, 06:17 AM

So he's not in charge but he's the manager of that department? Who is in charge then if not the head of the department?

Maybe Lee Johnson should try that when he's summoned to the boardroom in a few weeks. 'I'm not in charge of the football team, I'm just the manager of the department'.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2022, 06:40 AM

Sorry but if someone is in charge of a particular department then surely they are the head of it? He even has the title of Head of Recruitment which is even more of a giveaway.

I don't buy Ron Gordon's assessment that Ian Gordon's role is purely administrative either. You don't give someone a role as "head of something" if they're not the person in charge.

You've gone onto say that the recruitment is a joke so even if your point is correct that he's "only" the manager of the recruitment department then the buck still stops with him I'm afraid, as it does in every organisation.

He needs to go now.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2022, 06:41 AM
That’s an absolutely ludicrous point. If you are the manager of a department, you are the Head of it. The clue is in the title. Wrong Gordon has his son as the Head of Recruitment. And that is why it has all gone wrong, Wrong.

It does not matter what Ron calls his son, he's part of the team of people recruiting some of the worst players we've seen at the club in a long time, the only difference this time is we have a lot more of them this time.:rolleyes:

Hibee Mac
09-11-2022, 07:05 AM
Gordon Jr needs punted.

I don’t care how good people say Ian Gordon is, he should never have been there in the first place.Other than the Kensell point I agree with this entirely. Sums up exactly what needs to happen and if Ron doesn't do it soon he's on a slippery slope to becoming and enemy of the fans.

RE Kensell if we get a director of football then he can continue to focus on the revenue side of things which he appears to be doing well. We are just headless on the footballing side!

Pretty Boy
09-11-2022, 07:12 AM
Other than the Kensell point I agree with this entirely. Sums up exactly what needs to happen and if Ron doesn't do it soon he's on a slippery slope to becoming and enemy of the fans.

RE Kensell if we get a director of football then he can continue to focus on the revenue side of things which he appears to be doing well. We are just headless on the footballing side!

I'm intrigued to see what impact Greg McEwan's departure has on the revenue and commercial side of the business. He was a big driver of a lot of that stuff and the fact he got a decent article on the official site when his departure was announced suggests that was acknowledged too.

No idea if we have advertised for a replacement or have already got someone in place.

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2022, 07:17 AM
I don’t care how good people say Ian Gordon is, he should never have been there in the first place.

There’s only RG and a handful of fans on here that think IG has done a good job.

The rest of us have been right for well over a year!

This forum has been full of folk telling us how good players x,y or z will be at some mythical point in the future when it’s clear as day that most of our players are well below the standard we need, or indeed have been used to in the past.

I don’t see anything improving anytime soon.

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2022, 07:18 AM
I'm intrigued to see what impact Greg McEwan's departure has on the revenue and commercial side of the business. He was a big driver of a lot of that stuff and the fact he got a decent article on the official site when his departure was announced suggests that was acknowledged too.

No idea if we have advertised for a replacement or have already got someone in place.

Wasn’t aware of this, when did he leave?

He was pretty impressive I thought.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2022, 07:24 AM
RG is great at the American big talk and salesmanship, but it's mostly been bluster so far. Some nice improvements off the pitch, but he seems clueless where it matters most. He needs to up his game massively.

PaulSmith
09-11-2022, 07:50 AM
Ian Gordon - An utter failure.

Pretty Boy
09-11-2022, 08:01 AM
Wasn’t aware of this, when did he leave?

He was pretty impressive I thought.

Hibs announced it last week and there was a lot of goodbyes and best wishes from club employees and fans alike on Twitter around about the same time.

I liked Greg and I think he'll be a loss.

Carheenlea
09-11-2022, 08:35 AM
Hibs announced it last week and there was a lot of goodbyes and best wishes from club employees and fans alike on Twitter around about the same time.

One of my friends knows Greg McEwan as he works in the same industry.

While he didn’t offer any reasoning as to why he departed he said that he didn’t have another job to go to so that raises questions as to why he would leave such a position in those circumstances?

hibsforeurope
09-11-2022, 09:19 AM
Gordon Jr needs punted.

Maybe he could become our new hospitality's version of Fred Siriex, get him in charge of the drinks, greeting guests and as far away from the football department as possible.

mcfly
09-11-2022, 09:31 AM
Maybe it’s time for kensell and the Gordons to come out from their hiding place and address the fans with the direction the club is going and their future plans?

On current form only direction I see us going is relegation.

Season is a disaster so far.

Out theleague cup from an easy group
Can’t score goals
Every time a ball goes into the box it’s panic stations.
Still the same players get picked…
Shambles

hibsforeurope
09-11-2022, 10:00 AM
Maybe it’s time for kensell and the Gordons to come out from their hiding place and address the fans with the direction the club is going and their future plans?

On current form only direction I see us going is relegation.

Season is a disaster so far.

Out theleague cup from an easy group
Can’t score goals
Every time a ball goes into the box it’s panic stations.
Still the same players get picked…
Shambles

Thing is they can talk the talk but have zero ability to get to where they say they will take us. it's all self-congratulating crap thats spouted in each fan communication.

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2022, 01:28 PM

Thanks.

Surprised at this as he gave up a good gig with the R&A to come to Hibs.

i thought he'd be our next Chief Exec.

Colinton Hibby
09-11-2022, 04:31 PM
Sorry but if someone is in charge of a particular department then surely they are the head of it? He even has the title of Head of Recruitment which is even more of a giveaway.

I don't buy Ron Gordon's assessment that Ian Gordon's role is purely administrative either. You don't give someone a role as "head of something" if they're not the person in charge.

You've gone onto say that the recruitment is a joke so even if your point is correct that he's "only" the manager of the recruitment department then the buck still stops with him I'm afraid, as it does in every organisation.

He needs to go now.

The point I was attempting to make is IG is part of the team and doesn’t choose the players we are signing. Everyone banging on about IG as if he is out there scouting players when I believe his role is more of an admin one. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

it’s interesting all this **** was nowhere to be seen after we demolished st midden.

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 04:32 PM
The point I was attempting to make is IG is part of the team and doesn’t choose the players we are signing. Everyone banging on about IG as if he is out there scouting players when I believe his role is more of an admin one. But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

it’s interesting all this **** was nowhere to be seen after we demolished st midden.

Admin role lol

I wish Ron was my boss when I started working, I’d have been the Chief Executive of the correspondence division. AKA mailroom boy.

Out of interest seeing as you believe the nonsensical idea that he does an admin role, who actually does the job of a real head of recruitment? Surely we have somebody leading on recruitment?

marinello59
09-11-2022, 04:34 PM

Ron Gordon said he brought great insight in to the recruitment process. That suggests much more than an admin role.

A Hi-Bee
09-11-2022, 04:38 PM

It is all subjective, we dont really have a scooby about what is really going on at Hibs, but one thing is right, we are not playing well, we have not recruited very well, we may even be doomed I tell ya, doomed.
I have almost given up and lost interest and after close to 60 years watching my team, that is a sad reflection.

Carheenlea
09-11-2022, 04:38 PM

So who’s in charge and oversees the recruitment side of things? Somebody has to lead it. If it’s not Ian Gordon then who is it?

Colinton Hibby
09-11-2022, 04:47 PM
I’ll just give Ron a call and find out for you.

Maybe the whole recruitment team are involved in the process and IG manages that team. Just a thought.

matty_f
09-11-2022, 04:56 PM
Admin role lol

I wish Ron was my boss when I started working, I’d have been the Chief Executive of the correspondence division. AKA mailroom boy.

Out of interest seeing as you believe the nonsensical idea that he does an admin role, who actually does the job of a real head of recruitment? Surely we have somebody leading on recruitment?

I'm a 'Head of' for the area I work in but do none of the tasks that we employ people in my department to do.

I'm responsible for overall delivery and for setting and supporting strategy but I'm relying on those that work in the team to deliver what they do.

I'd expect a head of recruitment to be overseeing things like ensuring the recruitment department having access to the right tools, that it's adequate staffed by the right people, that there's a coordinated approach to recruitment that aligns to the club strategy and the needs of the manager, that there's a focus on improving the process, etc.

Colinton Hibby
09-11-2022, 05:00 PM
The voice of reason.

Hibee Mac
09-11-2022, 05:04 PM
I'm a 'Head of' for the area I work in but do none of the tasks that we employ people in my department to do.

I'm responsible for overall delivery and for setting and supporting strategy but I'm relying on those that work in the team to deliver what they do.

I'd expect a head of recruitment to be overseeing things like ensuring the recruitment department having access to the right tools, that it's adequate staffed by the right people, that there's a coordinated approach to recruitment that aligns to the club strategy and the needs of the manager, that there's a focus on improving the process, etc.I'm assuming Matty that you have great previous experience in that role or similar which has lead to you being given such a responsibility? [emoji6]

I don't think we can say the same for Iain Gordon, and as a result then personally I think the specifics of his role is all semantics. I don't think he should be operating in such a role at our club.

Hibee Mac
09-11-2022, 05:05 PM

No idea if we have advertised for a replacement or have already got someone in place.I heard Ron's Nephew is a shoe in for the job

green day
09-11-2022, 05:12 PM

I dont believe for a minute that the owners son is doing an "admin role" indeed I think we are seeing the fruits of his strategy and direction - just look at the players we have brought in since he was involved, there has been a change and it doesnt point to the manager saying "I would like XYZ type of player, first team ready" and them coming up with 2 or 3 solid targets.

We are bringing in younger players (which is fine), many of them with no first team experience (which is why LJ cant play many of them !) and he is back to playing the crap that got Ross and Maloney fired...................

And, for the record plently of people have been questioning his role since Hibs sneaked his appointment under the radar - it was only discovered because someone on here spotted it in the club directory.

bigwheel
09-11-2022, 05:16 PM
IG is a scout ..that’s the main thing he does . Regardless of title or anything else - he identifies players , amongst others ….

matty_f
09-11-2022, 05:16 PM
I'm assuming Matty that you have great previous experience in that role or similar which has lead to you being given such a responsibility? [emoji6]

I don't think we can say the same for Iain Gordon, and as a result then personally I think the specifics of his role is all semantics. I don't think he should be operating in such a role at our club.

Nope, experience in the wider industry and loads of experience of management with transferrable skills.

ClermistonGreen
09-11-2022, 05:19 PM
Nope, experience in the wider industry and loads of experience of management with transferrable skills.
Have you got the transferable funds to buy him out ?

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2022, 05:20 PM
IG is a scout ..that’s the main thing he does . Regardless of title or anything else - he identifies players , amongst others ….

He has to be given some credit for getting us Muller.

bigwheel

[emoji1787]

Scotty Leither
I’ll just give Ron a call and find out for you.

Maybe the whole recruitment team are involved in the process and IG manages that team. Just a thought.

IG brought in Meuller. His old man was telling people this at the Saint Coloma game.

Meuller as we all know was over hyped, and not physically up to the rigours of the SPL - a characteristic of a fair number of the recruitment team’s signings.

Somebody needs to take the fall for the appalling calibre of players currently guising as “Hibs players”. He changes managers readily - let’s see if he takes the same approach with his laddie.

I’ll not hold my breath.

matty_f
09-11-2022, 05:25 PM
Have you got the transferable funds to buy him out ?

I wish!!

chippy
09-11-2022, 05:25 PM

I'd expect a head of recruitment to be overseeing things like ensuring the recruitment department having access to the right tools, that it's adequate staffed by the right people, that there's a coordinated approach to recruitment that aligns to the club strategy and the needs of the manager, that there's a focus on improving the process, etc.

I was a head of a professional service within a health trust. I had 15 years prior experience as a NQT, experienced therapist , senior therapist , local area/ clinical lead ultimately head of the children’s service. I knew my profession and locality pretty well and my dad didn’t give me the job. I earned it much like you I’m sure

Nakedmanoncrack
09-11-2022, 05:28 PM
Utterly baffling that a handful of people want to tie themselves in knots to show they believe that the Head of recruitment, isn't the head of recruitment. Recruitment has been abysmal, the person heading the department takes the ultimate responsibility. Every reasonable person surely accepts that.

Colinton Hibby
09-11-2022, 05:33 PM
Marshall, Rocky, Cabraja, Myko, Youan, Boyle. Kenneh, Melkerson.

they ain’t all bad. Some you win, some you lose.

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 05:41 PM

And I’m sure you’d worked in your field before and weren’t parachuted into it with absolutely no experience or knowledge of the field you were going into.

All the stuff you’ve listed that you’d expect the head of department to be doing are also not ‘admin roles’.

Stubbsy90+2
09-11-2022, 05:41 PM
Utterly baffling that a handful of people want to tie themselves in knots to show they believe that the Head of recruitment, isn't the head of recruitment. Recruitment has been abysmal, the person heading the department takes the ultimate responsibility. Every reasonable person surely accepts that.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2022, 05:42 PM
Marshall, Rocky, Cabraja, Myko, Youan, Boyle. Kenneh, Melkerson.

they ain’t all bad. Some you win, some you lose.

Marshall good, Rocky the manager did not want him, and actively tried to offload him. Myko decent upgrade on Doidge, Youan is pish, Boyle good, Kenneh average a poor mans Bartley, too young to be playing in our team at this moment in time, Melkerson is pish.

And dont get me going on Tavarez, Henderson or Bojang.

Hibees1973
09-11-2022, 05:43 PM
The really annoying thing is that it's obvious money has been spent since Ron came in, that is not in doubt. What is in doubt is how much of this investment is from Ron's own pocket or has the money spent on new players been from the transfer fees brought in from Doig and Boyle. How much of this money remains for the January transfer window?

I understand reading previous posts that the hospitality upgrades are from loans, which is understandable and could be a good long-term investment provided they continue to be sold out. I'm not sure if they were sold out this year due to their novelty value, but I'm sure lots of these people will think twice about renewing next year if team performances continue in the same ilk as last night.

Ron will be away some time. When judging Ron solely on the product on the park, hopefully it's sooner rather than later. But my concern is what state will our finances be in once he is gone. Ron and his son have certainly saddled us with loads of guff players on 3 or 4 year contracts, Henderson and Tavares, to name just two of them. There are so many other players signed that are clearly not good enough for us and will have contributed to a massive wage bill. Any future owner or new team manager will have severe restrictions based on the poor quality and size of the current playing squad.

matty_f
09-11-2022, 05:44 PM

Who has said he's not the head of recruitment or responsible for it?

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-11-2022, 05:45 PM

Even if it was just for his corners!

truehibernian
09-11-2022, 05:46 PM
Who has said he's not the head of recruitment or responsible for it?

Matty, did you not say RG rebuffed questions you’d asked after your last podcast with him (which was excellent btw) ? I seem to recall you were a bit miffed he’d ignored some questions immediately after the interview.

matty_f
09-11-2022, 05:47 PM
And I’m sure you’d worked in your field before and weren’t parachuted into it with absolutely no experience or knowledge of the field you were going into.

All the stuff you’ve listed that you’d expect the head of department to be doing are also not ‘admin roles’.

Not in the field that I'm in now, in the wider industry but not specifically what I'm responsible for now. I wasn't parachuted in, but I did join the business at this level.

It's not an unusual situation at all, it happens across loads of industries where senior leaders are recruited without specific experienced of the industry.

Leeann Dempster worked in travel before she took over at Motherwell, for example.

matty_f
09-11-2022, 05:52 PM
Matty, did you not say RG rebuffed questions you’d asked after your last podcast with him (which was excellent btw) ? I seem to recall you were a bit miffed he’d ignored some questions immediately after the interview.

We challenged his view that recruitment was good and, with the boys from DTS, sent our views (he's asked us to). We got no response.

bigwheel
09-11-2022, 05:53 PM
Not in the field that I'm in now, in the wider industry but not specifically what I'm responsible for now. I wasn't parachuted in, but I did join the business at this level.

It's not an unusual situation at all, it happens across loads of industries where senior leaders are recruited without specific experienced of the industry.

Leeann Dempster worked in travel before she took over at Motherwell, for example.

But IG isn’t just a “Head of” in this way . He is an active scout ….been confirmed from senior people in the club .

Ps. Not actually forming a view that he is bad at it tbh - just clarifying what a big part of his role is

matty_f
09-11-2022, 05:58 PM
But IG isn’t just a “Head of” in this way . He is an active scout ….been confirmed from senior people in the club .

Wouldn't surprise me either, to be honest.

truehibernian
09-11-2022, 05:58 PM
We challenged his view that recruitment was good and, with the boys from DTS, sent our views (he's asked us to). We got no response.

👍

Sir David Gray
09-11-2022, 06:00 PM

I'm willing to accept he's part of a wider team and not the only one looking after the recruitment side of things but before it mysteriously disappeared his job title on the club directory was listed as "Head of Recruitment" so if he's not in overall charge of the club's recruitment then that would be really bizarre to give him such a title. Not only that but someone must be in overall charge of recruitment so if it's not Ian Gordon then who is it exactly?

I think if you have the time to check back my posts my scepticism around the Ian Gordon situation has been pretty consistent for a while now, quite often to the point where I was attracting some amount of criticism for airing such views. Just because it's not been discussed after a win v St Mirren is pretty irrelevant.

Hibs4185
09-11-2022, 06:08 PM
Some of the comments about getting Ron to *uck…….be careful what you wish for is all I will say.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2022, 06:23 PM
I think it's safe to say, whoever is in charge of recruitment and those under that person have been absolutely pish at their job.

I'd hazard a guess that only Ron Gordon would say otherwise.

truehibernian
09-11-2022, 06:38 PM
I think it's safe to say, whoever is in charge of recruitment and those under that person have been absolutely pish at their job.

This 👍 get rid of his son, appoint a DoF who knows the game and the markets. It’s that simple. Nepotism rarely wins in football, seen it at every level of football.

Read the room Ron, admit the mistake, appoint a qualified replacement 👍

marinello59
09-11-2022, 06:41 PM
This 👍 get rid of his son, appoint a DoF who knows the game and the markets. It’s that simple. Nepotism rarely wins in football, seen it at every level of football.

B.H.F.C
09-11-2022, 06:52 PM

Desperately needed IMO but absolutely no chance of it happening any time soon. I can see this cycle continuing for a while.

Iain G
09-11-2022, 08:35 PM
Sack your son, sell up, just give us our club back.

It's his club, he hasn't taken it away from anyone?!

Real Emerald
11-11-2022, 09:07 AM
I still can’t get my head around why someone from over the pond with no Hibs connections would buy the club and then not improve it. What’s the point of doing this if all we do is hover around 6th 7th 8th place in a poor league. If he was planning in heavily investing to dramatically improve us, qualifying regularly for Europe and winning trophies I could see the point. Hanging on to Livingston’s coat tails is hardly worth the effort. Bizarre

Chorley Hibee
11-11-2022, 09:18 AM

That would involve people admitting they're wrong (on here and in ER).

Hopefully they realise their mistakes sooner in ER than some on here are doing.

Dmas
11-11-2022, 09:31 AM

I would argue it’s was on the slide before RG and IG even came in some of the signings brought in under Lenny and Heck where hopeless, has there been many changed to the actual team or has it just been the changing of Mathie?

matty_f
11-11-2022, 10:09 AM
I would argue it’s was on the slide before RG and IG even came in some of the signings brought in under Lenny and Heck where hopeless, has there been many changed to the actual team or has it just been the changing of Mathie?

I think most people are being too quick to write off the signings made this summer.
Marshall - don’t think there are many folk who would argue that he’s not an upgrade on Macey (though his save % is lower)
Miller - injured early in his time, impossible to accurately call if he’s a god signing or not
Bushiri - got slaughtered when he resigned, arguably our best player in matches he’s featured in.
Cabraja - absolutely comfortable at this level, has had a significant bereavement in his short time here
Kenneh - some cracking games, some poor ones. He’s 19 and finding his feet at first team level in a new league. The potential in there is obvious though.
Henderson - not seen it from him nearly enough, capable of some great moments but evidence suggests he’s more capable of having games pass him by.
Tavares - probably saw his game time limited as soon as Boyle signed, however he had a shocker at Livi, and has been getting more exposure to the first team over the last few games. Not seen enough to say he’ll be a hit or a miss yet, but again, he’s just 21 and adapting to life at this level.
Youan - started brightly but hasn’t maintained that. Loan with an option to buy, not convinced we’ll take that up unless he brings his early season form back to the table. Definitely has potential though.
Bojang - missed some great chances in short appearances off the bench before getting injured. Not seen enough due to injury to call it.
Melkersen -19 years old and getting more first team action now, signed on his potential and has shown glimpses but not enough to be an unqualified success.
McGeady - injured
Kukharevych - good signing. Dismissed as a panic signing by some on deadline day.
McKirdy - hasn’t impressed yet, injured, too early to judge fairly.
Fish - brought in as cover when Rocky got injured and in case Porto left. Has been exactly that.
Schofield - as with Fish, brought in to cover an injury.
Boyle - great, expensive, ambitious signing.

I can’t remember if there are any others from that list I’ve missed that were brought in for the first team, so apologies if I’ve missed any.

For me there’s a clear strategy to build something at Hibs, that list (with a couple of exceptions) is a very young side. I believe there is a view at the club that it is worth bringing in players now, understanding that they might not be a 7 or 8/10 every week with the view that we’ll have them on the books when they are better than the players we’ve traditionally gone after, like Horgan or Newell or Doidge or tens of others that have churned through the club over the years.

We all want better than we’ve done over the years but to do that the club needed to do something different. Because it’s not been an immediate success it’s awful, everyone’s terrible and everything needs ripped up and started again.

You get slaughtered for suggesting payments on here, and probably justifiably so, but just now we are doing something different and it needs to be given time to work without folk throwing tantrums all the time. It’s destructive.

matty_f
11-11-2022, 10:09 AM
I think most people are being too quick to write off the signings made this summer.
Marshall - don’t think there are many folk who would argue that he’s not an upgrade on Macey (though his save % is lower)
Miller - injured early in his time, impossible to accurately call if he’s a god signing or not
Bushiri - got slaughtered when he resigned, arguably our best player in matches he’s featured in.
Cabraja - absolutely comfortable at this level, has had a significant bereavement in his short time here
Kenneh - some cracking games, some poor ones. He’s 19 and finding his feet at first team level in a new league. The potential in there is obvious though.
Henderson - not seen it from him nearly enough, capable of some great moments but evidence suggests he’s more capable of having games pass him by.
Tavares - probably saw his game time limited as soon as Boyle signed, however he had a shocker at Livi, and has been getting more exposure to the first team over the last few games. Not seen enough to say he’ll be a hit or a miss yet, but again, he’s just 21 and adapting to life at this level.
Youan - started brightly but hasn’t maintained that. Loan with an option to buy, not convinced we’ll take that up unless he brings his early season form back to the table. Definitely has potential though.
Bojang - missed some great chances in short appearances off the bench before getting injured. Not seen enough due to injury to call it.
Melkersen -19 years old and getting more first team action now, signed on his potential and has shown glimpses but not enough to be an unqualified success.
McGeady - injured
Kukharevych - good signing. Dismissed as a panic signing by some on deadline day.
Fish - brought in as cover when Rocky got injured and in case Porto left. Has been exactly that.

I can’t remember if there are any others from that list I’ve missed that were brought in for the first team, so apologies if I’ve missed any.

For me there’s a clear strategy to build something at Hibs, that list (with a couple of exceptions) is a very young side. I believe there is a view at the club that it is worth bringing in players now, understanding that they might not be a 7 or 8/10 every week with the view that we’ll have them on the books when they are better than the players we’ve traditionally gone after, like Horgan or Newell or Doidge or tens of others that have churned through the club over the years.

We all want better than we’ve done over the years but to do that the club needed to do something different. Because it’s not been an immediate success it’s awful, everyone’s terrible and everything needs ripped up and started again.

You get slaughtered for suggesting payments on here, and probably justifiably so, but just now we are doing something different and it needs to be given time to work without folk throwing tantrums all the time. It’s destructive.

Also TL;DR

Summary: calm down and give it time.

Forza Fred
11-11-2022, 10:29 AM
Don’t think there is queue of millionaires forming to buy the club from him.

I think he is well intentioned, but needs to reset his business plan to concentrate on the NOW rather than the future.

matty_f
11-11-2022, 10:37 AM
Don’t think there is queue of millionaires forming to buy the club from him.

I think he is well intentioned, but needs to reset his business plan to concentrate on the NOW rather than the future.

I don’t think he does.

A Hibs side with Nisbet, Magennis, Marshall, McGeady, Newell, and Boyle available should be more than enough to compete at this level - the players are there, just need them fit and contributing!

Unseen work
11-11-2022, 10:41 AM
I still can’t get my head around why someone from over the pond with no Hibs connections would buy the club and then not improve it. What’s the point of doing this if all we do is hover around 6th 7th 8th place in a poor league. If he was planning in heavily investing to dramatically improve us, qualifying regularly for Europe and winning trophies I could see the point. Hanging on to Livingston’s coat tails is hardly worth the effort. Bizarre

He’s trying to improve us by signing young guys who they believe have a big sell on potential.

They may not be coming off but it’s clear the plan they have in place is to sign a lot of young players from big clubs who they believe have quality and can sell on for a lot of money. Rather than signing Drey Wright etc.

The only way we’ll grow is by generating more money whether that’s players or off field stuff which they seem to be doing well.

There needs to be a balance granted, but I think the plan is clear and if (big if) they get it right we’ll be better for it.

So far it’s not went great and we’re 7th? A couple of points off 3rd. Not great by any means but when you look back at our average league position over the last 20 years it’s probably about 7th.

That’s maybe the boards point, we can achieve what we have been doing whilst taking risks in the hope we will get better and not just continue to plod along.

With all the risk signings we still signed Boyle, McGeady and Marshall in the summer who are all proven and then guys like Kenneh and Cabraja have done well. It just takes getting all of our best players on the pitch at the same time and before you know it people will say how strong we look

Plus, our first 3rd place finish in 16 years under Gordon.

I get recruitment hasn’t been perfect but it never will. The people in place before Gordon also never seemed to get anywhere near the stick he seems to be getting.

hibsforeurope
11-11-2022, 12:20 PM
McGeady - injured

i totally get that it may be too early to write off some players from the summer but, after the disaster of the season before, we needed ready made players capable of coming straight in and making a difference. Out of the 16 players listed at least half have made no impact at all. in theory discovering young talent is good but it's very a very risky strategy to base almost all your recruitment on that idea. Only Marshall and Boyle came in as proven players.

Project players need talent to feed off and learn from, not sure we have enough of that. They also need time to adapt and develop, hard to do that when you are hyped as a star and required to make a difference immediately.

Real Emerald
11-11-2022, 02:27 PM
He’s trying to improve us by signing young guys who they believe have a big sell on potential.

They may not be coming off but it’s clear the plan they have in place is to sign a lot of young players from big clubs who they believe have quality and can sell on for a lot of money. Rather than signing Drey Wright etc.

The only way we’ll grow is by generating more money whether that’s players or off field stuff which they seem to be doing well.

There needs to be a balance granted, but I think the plan is clear and if (big if) they get it right we’ll be better for it.

So far it’s not went great and we’re 7th? A couple of points off 3rd. Not great by any means but when you look back at our average league position over the last 20 years it’s probably about 7th.

That’s maybe the boards point, we can achieve what we have been doing whilst taking risks in the hope we will get better and not just continue to plod along.

With all the risk signings we still signed Boyle, McGeady and Marshall in the summer who are all proven and then guys like Kenneh and Cabraja have done well. It just takes getting all of our best players on the pitch at the same time and before you know it people will say how strong we look

Plus, our first 3rd place finish in 16 years under Gordon.

I get recruitment hasn’t been perfect but it never will. The people in place before Gordon also never seemed to get anywhere near the stick he seems to be getting.

I get all that but if I was in his position I wouldn’t go half way round the world to buy a team and base the future on a risky strategy of recruiting rookie players in the hope they come good.

I personally would only do what he’s doing if I had enough cash to actually make a real difference to the club Im buying. Again, I could understand it if he was a born and bread Hibee who always dreamed of owning the club but he’s not. I’m not having a go at him, I just don’t get why he’s got involved if he really doesn’t have the funds to make us better than the average team we’ve become over the years. He’s really just hoping to get lucky, the same policy that failed Hearts with their scatter gun signings.

hibeerealist
11-11-2022, 02:49 PM

Great post and spot on, this needs highlighted and often. RG is a nice guy but what does he really want from owning Hibs?

Bizarre is an accurate summing up.

matty_f
11-11-2022, 03:05 PM
Great post and spot on, this needs highlighted and often. RG is a nice guy but what does he really want from owning Hibs?

Bizarre is an accurate summing up.

He wants to own a football club and turn it for a profit. That’s good news for us because the only way to do that is to make us a better side.

HibeeHibernia
11-11-2022, 03:08 PM
He wants to own a football club and turn it for a profit. That’s good news for us because the only way to do that is to make us a better side.

well if that's his plan he'll need to sack his laddie matty because theres no chance of us becoming that anytime soon mate

Hibbyradge
11-11-2022, 03:12 PM

And it takes time even when everything is going swimmingly, but we've had the pandemic and injuries to key players to contend with.

We've also had 2 new managers in a short space of time. Regardless of whose fault that was, it's another factor which has stalled progress.

Most fans don't have patience these days. If it doesn't happen immediately, it needs to be scrapped and started again, but that won't take us forward any quicker, if at all.

I want success as much as the next person, but I'm long enough in the tooth to know that it's an elusive ambition. I can wait, I always have.

2016 made it all worthwhile.

WhileTheChief..
11-11-2022, 03:54 PM
And it takes time even when everything is going swimmingly, but we've had the pandemic and injuries to key players to contend with.

We've also had 2 new managers in a short space of time. Regardless of whose fault that was, it's another factor which has stalled progress.

Most fans don't have patience these days. If it doesn't happen immediately, it needs to be scrapped and started again, but that won't take us forward any quicker, if at all.

I want success as much as the next person, but I'm long enough in the tooth to know that it's an elusive ambition. I can wait, I always have.

After starting from scratch with Stubbs :greengrin

Hibbyradge
11-11-2022, 03:59 PM
After starting from scratch with Stubbs :greengrin

True, but I'd rather not be starting in the same place as he did.

Smartie
12-11-2022, 12:04 AM
True, but I'd rather not be starting in the same place as he did.

I often wonder if it was actually easier to start in the Championship with a near-blank canvas than to start in the premier league with a squad full of players who had failed a few of your predecessors.

Stubbs did managed to put down foundations at that time that lasted us for yonks.

Hibee Daft
12-11-2022, 12:26 AM
I like Ron Gordon, money is being spent on transfers. If you chase him out the next guy might be as frugal as Rod Petrie

Our u18s just won the league which is an amazing achievement, we are currently the top team in Scotland at youth level.

Yeah the recent results couldve been better but its not because all the players are *****, we leave ourselves wide open at the back game after game.

Lee Johnsons tactics have been quite naive and very susceptible to counter attacks. But i still think he should be given time to rectify his tactics.

Sacking managers every 6 months disrupts the team.

LeithMike
12-11-2022, 10:38 AM
McGeady - injured

We came off the back of a very poor season which had seen off two managers and there was a clear need to improve the first team.

Many of the signings are not ready for the first team and there are significant doubts if they ever will be. A lot of money has been put into some of those players which might have been used elsewhere.

Can’t disagree about Marshall, Boyle and Cabraja but it was the midfield that needed a complete overhaul. The strategy might work but it needs the right people overseeing it. I don’t think we have that which is why we’ve ended up with a mass of players not suited to the Scottish game.

LeithMike
12-11-2022, 10:52 AM

I don’t think that’s an automatic conclusion. Mike Ashley had the exact same objective for Newcastle and looked to bring cheap players in and sell them on for profit. He wasn’t really bothered about the football as long as he got a return on his investment.

If a profit is the objective then that can just lead to the players being viewed as commodities to sell on and pressure on the manager to play them.

Our best period in recent times was getting a core of young players who really bought into the club and wanted to be there. Some of those improved so much they moved on but it always seemed the objective was to have the best team on the park possible and to have Hibs playing as well as we can.

There is no doubt money is being spent but it doesn’t appear to be being used with the objective of making us the best team we can be, or if it is, those in control of the funds seem misguided on how to do that.

A Hi-Bee
12-11-2022, 11:09 AM
I don’t think that’s an automatic conclusion. Mike Ashley had the exact same objective for Newcastle and looked to bring cheap players in and sell them on for profit. He wasn’t really bothered about the football as long as he got a return on his investment.

If a profit is the objective then that can just lead to the players being viewed as commodities to sell on and pressure on the manager to play them.

Our best period in recent times was getting a core of young players who really bought into the club and wanted to be there. Some of those improved so much they moved on but it always seemed the objective was to have the best team on the park possible and to have Hibs playing as well as we can.

There is no doubt money is being spent but it doesn’t appear to be being used with the objective of making us the best team we can be, or if it is, those in control of the funds seem misguided on how to do that.

Did Fergus McCann not do the same thing at celtic, turned them right around and built a new stadium and made a fortune, then moved on, so it can be done, just hope R.G. can do something like that wi Hibs

Lago
12-11-2022, 12:29 PM
Did Fergus McCann not do the same thing at celtic, turned them right around and built a new stadium and made a fortune, then moved on, so it can be done, just hope R.G. can do something like that wi Hibs
He did exactly that and was ruthless in how he did it it, cleared the place of all the non doers, always remember the famous comment about the over populated home dug out "who are all those guys in the bus shelter down there?", needless to say home dug out was much reduced from that point on.

SaulGoodman
12-11-2022, 03:57 PM
Well Ron? Big questions to be answered.

Smartie
12-11-2022, 07:58 PM
Of everyone - Ron Gordon, Ian Gordon, Lee Johnson, the recruitment team, the coaching team, any department of the team or any individual player - the person I'm most pissed off with and who has the most questions to answer is indeed Ron Gordon.

I have a bad feeling about him. Not that I suspect anything particularly nefarious but I question his competence and at this point in time I'm struggling to visualise any sort of success under him.

marinello59
12-11-2022, 08:19 PM
Well Ron? Big questions to be answered.

He’ll talk to the podcasters again and spin them more bull and outright lies. I don’t want any more words from him, I want action.

bigwheel
12-11-2022, 08:20 PM
He’ll talk to the podcasters again and spin them more bull and outright lies. I don’t want any more words from him, I want action.

What outright lies has he told ?

marinello59
12-11-2022, 08:33 PM
What outright lies has he told ?

There was his explanation of how several long standing staff members left the club and his rewriting of the history of Hibs Kids.

Stokesy's on fire
12-11-2022, 08:44 PM

Correct. The man's a fraud

B.H.F.C
12-11-2022, 08:44 PM

Folk will have patience if they see something building. I remember getting beat from Rangers in the playoffs under Stubbs and the team getting a standing ovation because it was night and day from the start of the season. When it’s the end of 2022 and Lewis Stevenson is playing in the middle of the park to try and turn things round it tells you we have big problems though. At the moment it’s not about showing patience, anyone with a set of eyes can surely see we don’t have the players to go in the right direction.

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 08:48 PM

a don't think we'll hear from him anytime soon everything he has said so far hasn't came to fruition so he hasn't really got a leg to stand on i think alarm bells will be ringing big time behind the scenes though, he could easily get the fans on side if he sacked his laddie and got a proper footballing man in the door tae but apparently that is too easy his arrogance will be his undoing unfortunately.

Smartie
12-11-2022, 08:52 PM
a don't think we'll hear from him anytime soon everything he has said so far hasn't came to fruition so he hasn't really got a leg to stand on i think alarm bells will be ringing big time behind the scenes though, he could easily get the fans on side if he sacked his laddie and got a proper footballing man in the door tae but apparently that is too easy his arrogance will be his undoing unfortunately.

I don't think we'll hear from him any time soon, he'll be in hiding for a while.

TBH I think that's probably the right approach from him - cheap talk right now won't change anything for the better with us.

GreenCastle
12-11-2022, 08:53 PM
I still don’t think Ron is the issue - he’s not a Mike Ashely type…

But he the recruitment and staff structure needs looked at as it’s not performing.

The stuff off the pitch is great - hospitality and stadium improvements but the main issue as we know is the staff who are bringing in these players - whoever has given them the brief needs to have a change of plan and recruit a different type of player - not some potential u24 player who we may get lucky with and sell on.

Even the potential players who do have some future transfer value will be dropping if the team keeps struggling or at worse get relegated.

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 08:56 PM
I don't think we'll hear from him any time soon, he'll be in hiding for a while.

TBH I think that's probably the right approach from him - cheap talk right now won't change anything for the better with us.

aye it is wise like i certainly can't be bothered listening to the guy try and justify that summer window we can only hope that behind the scenes work is already underway to appointing a director of football

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 09:00 PM
I still don’t think Ron is the issue - he’s not a Mike Ashely type…

But he the recruitment and staff structure needs looked at as it’s not performing.

The stuff off the pitch is great - hospitality and stadium improvements but the main issue as we know is the staff who are bringing in these players - whoever has given them the brief needs to have a change of plan and recruit a different type of player - not some potential u24 player who we may get lucky with and sell on.

Even the potential players who do have some future transfer value will be dropping if the team keeps struggling or at worse get relegated.

He has proved he'll spend big it is just how he is spending it that is the issue mate a total restructure could work wonders you seen how successful it was in 2014 and that was with us spending peanuts under the farmer regime imagine that same structure with a guy willing to properly invest we could be competing in europe every season if it was done right.

LeithMike
12-11-2022, 09:57 PM
He has proved he'll spend big it is just how he is spending it that is the issue mate a total restructure could work wonders you seen how successful it was in 2014 and that was with us spending peanuts under the farmer regime imagine that same structure with a guy willing to properly invest we could be competing in europe every season if it was done right.

Do we actually know if he is putting in money or is he just building up debt for the football club? Genuine question as I don’t know but so think it is important that the fan base know where all the money speculated on unproven players is coming from. I really hope the club is not being saddled with debt.

truehibernian
12-11-2022, 10:05 PM
Hides for months, sacks managers, reappears from the sand when heat is on from the media, does a generic podcast to placate the lemmings saying success is just around the corner and avoids answering the really difficult questions - rinse and repeat 👍

Ruining our club 👍 wake up folk !

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 10:32 PM
Do we actually know if he is putting in money or is he just building up debt for the football club? Genuine question as I don’t know but so think it is important that the fan base know where all the money speculated on unproven players is coming from. I really hope the club is not being saddled with debt.

i'll be honest mate i don't have a scooby he comes across as genuine enough but you can never truly know what is going on behind the scenes i will say though dempster couldn't wait to get out of there and i found that flight he was on to ibiza with the puddle drinkers a tad suspect for a multi millionaire but who knows we can only hope he is the real deal eh. The wages he is paying out worries me like not going to lie :flag:

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 10:35 PM
Hides for months, sacks managers, reappears from the sand when heat is on from the media, does a generic podcast to placate the lemmings saying success is just around the corner and avoids answering the really difficult questions - rinse and repeat 👍

Ruining our club 👍 wake up folk !

That second podcast was cringe to watch he basically just regurgitated the same stuff he said in the first one he couldn't possibly make it a hat trick could he? The only way I'm on his side if is if he sacks the laddie and gets a director of football in. :flag:

Smartie
12-11-2022, 10:39 PM

I don't think he is putting in any money of his own beyond what he put in initially but in fairness to him he has drastically increased the amount the club takes in, mainly from we the fans but also from various "business partners".

The issue isn't that he isn't putting in enough, but that the money being raised isn't being spent wisely and if it isn't spent wisely then it might dry up in future, possibly the near future. If there's a shortfall, would he "pony up"? That's anyone's guess.

So we need to start spending money wisely - signing more players with a better chance of making an impact in the first team so we can enjoy on field success and get into Europe, meaning we generate more money which can be spent on players who can keep us playing in that arena regularly and if there's enough left over we might want to start putting a bit more towards the development squad etc... rather than starting with development squad punts, falling behind on the field and antagonising the people who are currently digging deep to support the club.

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 12:19 PM
When did we last hear a peep from our owner, Chairman, CEO? other than asking fans to spend money there's rarely anything.

surely coming out and trying to reassure us that there is a clear plan and they are learning from past mistakes would make sense, especially when trying to sell 1/2 season tickets.

But no, absolutely nothing.

matty_f
09-12-2022, 12:20 PM
When did we last hear a peep from our owner, Chairman, CEO? other than asking fans to spend money there's rarely anything.

surely coming out and trying to reassure us that there is a clear plan and they are learning from past mistakes would make sense, especially when trying to sell 1/2 season tickets.

There was an extended interview with him recently on Graham Spiers' podcast that, iirc, was covered in the press as well.

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 12:37 PM
There was an extended interview with him recently on Graham Spiers' podcast that, iirc, was covered in the press as well.

This was released days after the Celtic game, not sure when it was recorded, since then things have become markedly worse and nothing from him. certainly nothing addressing current issues.

Having paid my £1.99 to Graham to listen, the interview is much of the same talk as he gave to you and the other podcasts earlier in the season. Squad is significantly better this season, Ian is doing a great job, etc,etc.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 12:37 PM

Did we ever hear much from Tom Farmer, by comparison, Ron is like the colleague you can never get off the phone when you only asked how they were and are still listening to their ails 45 mins later :greengrin

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 12:40 PM
Did we ever hear much from Tom Farmer, by comparison, Ron is like the colleague you can never get off the phone when you only asked how they were and are still listening to their ails 45 mins later :greengrin

No but we mostly knew what Rod was up to and certainly knew what Leanne was doing day to day. there is no one from this current regime stepping up.

flash
09-12-2022, 01:21 PM
Good to see this thread bumped back up to the front page to sit proudly alongside the threads slating the manager and almost every player in the squad.

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 01:41 PM
Good to see this thread bumped back up to the front page to sit proudly alongside the threads slating the manager and almost every player in the squad.

This is really where frustrations should be aimed, players and managers are easy targets as they are visible.

ancient hibee
09-12-2022, 01:50 PM
This is really where frustrations should be aimed, players and managers are easy targets as they are visible.

Why don't you contact the ones you want to hear from?

Jones28
09-12-2022, 02:18 PM

And they’re also the ones that get the results. Or not, as it were.

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 02:22 PM
Why don't you contact the ones you want to hear from?

Would be very interested in doing this, but it's easier said than done.

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 02:29 PM
And they’re also the ones that get the results. Or not, as it were.

They are, but they didn't choose Hibs, Hibs chose them (mainly). The decision as to what level we recruit managers, players, even general staff, from comes from the top down, we are currently underperforming at every level of the club.

I'm not counting commercial in this at present but underperforming on the park will surely have some impact on financial income down the line too.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 02:30 PM
No but we mostly knew what Rod was up to and certainly knew what Leanne was doing day to day. there is no one from this current regime stepping up.

We had no idea what Rod and Leanne were doing on a day to day basis and why should we need to anyway? 🙄

SickBoy32
09-12-2022, 02:30 PM

Totally agree with this

Sub-standard players and managers are just symptomatic of the incompetence of those running the show currently

Our direction of travel over the last 12 months is alarming, and shows no sign of changing anytime soon

We need changes at Exec level asap

Iain G
09-12-2022, 02:31 PM
Maybe Ron will wind the club up and give people a chance to do something they enjoy with their weekends 🤣

SickBoy32
09-12-2022, 02:35 PM
Maybe Ron will wind the club up and give people a chance to do something they enjoy with their weekends 🤣

Alternatively - he could go and get a Head of Recruitment and CEO with some semblance of experience behind them

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=Iain G;7187368]Maybe Ron will wind the club up and give people a chance to do something they enjoy with their weekends 🤣[/QUOTE

Ironically Hibs was a fun thing watch, mainly before Ron was involved mind you.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=Iain G;7187368]Maybe Ron will wind the club up and give people a chance to do something they enjoy with their weekends 🤣[/QUOTE

Ironically Hibs was a fun thing watch, mainly before Ron was involved mind you.

Yeah I remember the days it was **** pre-Ron 😁

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=hibsforeurope;7187379]

Yeah I remember the days it was **** pre-Ron 😁

so far the Ron era is probably comparable to Mixu,Fenlon verging on Butcher from the old regime.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=Iain G;7187408]

so far the Ron era is probably comparable to Mixu,Fenlon verging on Butcher from the old regime.

And Williamson, a good chunk of Miller, Calderwood...but nowhere near as bad as Butcher!! 🤣

Frazerbob
09-12-2022, 03:09 PM
Do other club CEO’s hold regular press conferences?

dp00
09-12-2022, 03:16 PM

Same with Ben … very rarely seen, how can you connect with the fans if you aren’t seen

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=hibsforeurope;7187414]

And Williamson, a good chunk of Miller, Calderwood...but nowhere near as bad as Butcher!! 🤣

Yet…

Iain G
09-12-2022, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=Iain G;7187433]

Yet…

Will never get to that nadir! Everyone really needs to cheer up, it's Christmas! 😁

Smartie
09-12-2022, 03:38 PM
I’m not sure there’s anything he could say to improve the situation right now.

Sometimes it’s best to stay quiet and I think this is one of those times.

hibsforeurope
09-12-2022, 03:58 PM
I’m not sure there’s anything he could say to improve the situation right now.

Sometimes it’s best to stay quiet and I think this is one of those times.

Acknowledge mistakes would be a start, his most recent communication, the Graham spiers interview, he doubles down on how things are going great, we have a phenomenal squad and how Ian Gordon is learning and is the best person for the job.

Ringothedog
09-12-2022, 04:00 PM
Do other club CEO’s hold regular press conferences?

Going by some on this thread every other clubs owner and CEO’s have regular press conferences. It is only Hibs that don’t. Our current owner/CEO is the first Hibs owner who has never given regular interviews/conferences, but when he does he is ripped up for arsepaper for having the audacity to have a plan that they don’t like. I am sure that is the gist of it

Vault Boy
09-12-2022, 04:21 PM
It’s fairly normal to expect to hear from an executive owner when your team are bottom of the form table and have a significant gap in competitive fixtures. Ron apologism is just unfortunate at this point. The man is clueless when it comes to running a football club.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 04:28 PM
It’s fairly normal to expect to hear from an executive owner when your team are bottom of the form table and have a significant gap in competitive fixtures. Ron apologism is just unfortunate at this point. The man is clueless when it comes to running a football club.

Is this a thing? Team at the bottom of the form table has to pony up their owner to address the rabid hoardes of Hibs fans? 🤣

Lago
09-12-2022, 04:30 PM
Must be a slow day in the Borders 🤔

Vault Boy
09-12-2022, 05:50 PM
Is this a thing? Team at the bottom of the form table has to pony up their owner to address the rabid hoardes of Hibs fans? 🤣

Not necessarily, but it’s not unreasonable either. I don’t see the point in referring to reasonably concerned Hibs fans as a rabid horde, though. Given how much of a mess we’re in thanks to the current custodians, things are reasonably quiet amongst the support.

Iain G
09-12-2022, 06:07 PM
Not necessarily, but it’s not unreasonable either. I don’t see the point in referring to reasonably concerned Hibs fans as a rabid horde, though. Given how much of a mess we’re in thanks to the current custodians, things are reasonably quiet amongst the support.

I was using it to emphasise that there isn't a rabid hoarde! Just some grumpy .netters 😁

Vault Boy
09-12-2022, 06:17 PM
I was using it to emphasise that there isn't a rabid hoarde! Just some grumpy .netters 😁

That’s guaranteed 😄

Iain G
09-12-2022, 06:19 PM
That’s guaranteed 😄

There are only 3 certainties in life: death, taxes and grumpy .netters 😁

Jones28
09-12-2022, 06:25 PM
They are, but they didn't choose Hibs, Hibs chose them (mainly). The decision as to what level we recruit managers, players, even general staff, from comes from the top down, we are currently underperforming at every level of the club.

I'm not counting commercial in this at present but underperforming on the park will surely have some impact on financial income down the line too.

I genuinely understand your point, but I don’t think we’re seeing the symptoms of chronic underperformance on as grand a scale as people seem to think.

Take the last couple of seasons:

About the same time in both seasons we were on a decent run before a visit to Glasgow.
We had bad results but albeit for very different reasons.
We didn’t recover, though we have at least won a game since the Celtic pumping.
Last time we were very reactionary to the bad run, we didn’t give a proven manager time.
I think the high heid yin’s at the club have had their fingers burnt.

I do think Johnson could be a decent manager but he must be backed in the transfer window. The midfield MUST be addressed, by signing an attacking, creative midfielder or a redeployed mcgeady takes up the task.

Frazerbob
09-12-2022, 09:57 PM

Are we really in that much of a mess though? For me, the club seems to moving in the right direction off the park (facilities, stadium, corporate investment, social media etc), the development teams and ladies team doing well. The only disappointing performances are from the big team.....which I fully appreciate is THE most important aspect of the club. I don't think we're a million miles away there though. The football is FAR better than this time last year. All we're missing is a few goals and we'd be comfortably top 6 and looking good to challenge for Europe. We've been unlucky not to win quite a few games we've dominated and been very unlucky with injuries (yet again). 3 or 4 goals over the last 5 or 6 games and things would be looking much more positive. At the risk of sounding like Jack Ross....small margins. If we can get through the tough run coming up with 2 or 3 good results, I'm confident we'll kick on. We need at least one Derby win. (If we lose both Derbies tho......)

B.H.F.C
09-12-2022, 10:21 PM
Are we really in that much of a mess though? For me, the club seems to moving in the right direction off the park (facilities, stadium, corporate investment, social media etc), the development teams and ladies team doing well. The only disappointing performances are from the big team.....which I fully appreciate is THE most important aspect of the club. I don't think we're a million miles away there though. The football is FAR better than this time last year. All we're missing is a few goals and we'd be comfortably top 6 and looking good to challenge for Europe. We've been unlucky not to win quite a few games we've dominated and been very unlucky with injuries (yet again). 3 or 4 goals over the last 5 or 6 games and things would be looking much more positive. At the risk of sounding like Jack Ross....small margins. If we can get through the tough run coming up with 2 or 3 good results, I'm confident we'll kick on. We need at least one Derby win. (If we lose both Derbies tho......)

The football isn’t far better. It was a bit of a different approach at the start of the season, and it was looking improved, but by the time the break came round the performances were terrible. We have a lot of poor players on long term contracts. We had a solid defensive base but that has disappeared and we struggle to score goals.

I get the point you are making about other parts of the club performing well so maybe it would be more appropriate to say the first team (which is all that folk really care about) is in a mess. If that doesn’t perform then the other parts of the club will suffer as people become less engaged. I don’t think a transfer window sorts things. We were talking about that being the case this time last year. Then in the summer. If the same people remain, making the same decisions at the top of the club, we’ll see more of the same where it matters most imo.

Sir David Gray
09-12-2022, 10:51 PM
The football isn’t far better. It was a bit of a different approach at the start of the season, and it was looking improved, but by the time the break came round the performances were terrible. We have a lot of poor players on long term contracts. We had a solid defensive base but that has disappeared and we struggle to score goals.

I get the point you are making about other parts of the club performing well so maybe it would be more appropriate to say the first team (which is all that folk really care about) is in a mess. If that doesn’t perform then the other parts of the club will suffer as people become less engaged. I don’t think a transfer window sorts things. We were talking about that being the case this time last year. Then in the summer. If the same people remain, making the same decisions at the top of the club, we’ll see more of the same where it matters most imo.

I suppose what is or isn't considered "far better" is quite subjective, however I do agree with you.

I think the first team is a mess and we only have one more point now than we had at the same point last season so I personally don't see much progress at all.

I accept there are areas of the club functioning well but if the first team is underperforming then literally nothing else matters.

Frazerbob
09-12-2022, 10:56 PM

I disagree, whilst we're definitely not the finished article (understatement) the football is miles better than under Maloney. It's so much faster and more direct rather than passing for the sake of passing. Three good players from havening a top 4 team IMHO. Hopefully Nisbet & McGeady are 2 of them. I think the way football is these days, every transfer window could make or break a season. Clubs like us, Hearts, Aberdeen etc will be signing a lot of unproven players, hoping they do well and can be sold on for a profit after a couple of good years. The result of that will mean some gambles don't pay off. I think 5 or 6 of our summer signings have been decent to good. That's probably not too bad a strike rate, although we'd all hope for better. Hopefully this window sees us go for 2 or 3 quality players, first team starters every week who will make the difference between a 6-8th finish and 3rd-5th. As I said though, we NEED at least 1 Derby win or the fans will really turn on the LJ and Ron. I genuinely think we're not a million miles away and given better luck we'll be top 6 come the split and hopefully still with a decent chance of Europe.

truehibernian
09-12-2022, 11:05 PM
He’s an absentee landlord and behind the scenes is a shambles- fed up repeating it. The support needs to wake up to it fast. Only cares about money, not the football. Sooner he is gone the better 👍

B.H.F.C
09-12-2022, 11:20 PM
I disagree, whilst we're definitely not the finished article (understatement) the football is miles better than under Maloney. It's so much faster and more direct rather than passing for the sake of passing. Three good players from havening a top 4 team IMHO. Hopefully Nisbet & McGeady are 2 of them. I think the way football is these days, every transfer window could make or break a season. Clubs like us, Hearts, Aberdeen etc will be signing a lot of unproven players, hoping they do well and can be sold on for a profit after a couple of good years. The result of that will mean some gambles don't pay off. I think 5 or 6 of our summer signings have been decent to good. That's probably not too bad a strike rate, although we'd all hope for better. Hopefully this window sees us go for 2 or 3 quality players, first team starters every week who will make the difference between a 6-8th finish and 3rd-5th. As I said though, we NEED at least 1 Derby win or the fans will really turn on the LJ and Ron. I genuinely think we're not a million miles away and given better luck we'll be top 6 come the split and hopefully still with a decent chance of Europe.

For me, the late goals at the start of the season meant you came away from games on a high, but the games weren’t great. I thought we were really good at home to Aberdeen and St Mirren and away to Ross County. Other than that we’ve mostly huffed and puffed and struggled to score goals. I was quite encouraged at the start of the season but what worries me is that we’ve got progressively worse.

Agree we need to win at least one derby. Think whether LJ is around for the second one may be determined by the first, if not before though.

I don’t disagree that three good players (at this level) would make a big difference by the way. Very little faith in the current regime getting three such players in though.

Forza Fred
10-12-2022, 04:15 AM
He’s an absentee landlord and behind the scenes is a shambles- fed up repeating it. The support needs to wake up to it fast. Only cares about money, not the football. Sooner he is gone the better 👍

Don't keep repeating it then:wink:

I don't doubt the intentions of Ron Gordon in the slightest.

Problem is, his thinking has been too strategic as opposed to tactical.

He needs to concentrate his focus on the here and now....instead of what it will be like in 3 or so years.

We have to get the NOW right, and if we do, then the future can still be rosy..if we don't, then the future will be anything but rosy.

Hibs4185
10-12-2022, 06:45 AM
I genuinely understand your point, but I don’t think we’re seeing the symptoms of chronic underperformance on as grand a scale as people seem to think.

Take the last couple of seasons:

About the same time in both seasons we were on a decent run before a visit to Glasgow.
We had bad results but albeit for very different reasons.
We didn’t recover, though we have at least won a game since the Celtic pumping.
Last time we were very reactionary to the bad run, we didn’t give a proven manager time.
I think the high heid yin’s at the club have had their fingers burnt.

I do think Johnson could be a decent manager but he must be backed in the transfer window. The midfield MUST be addressed, by signing an attacking, creative midfielder or a redeployed mcgeady takes up the task.

Midfield has been the problem since Heckingbottom. I’ve always felt we were decent defensively and attacking wise but the link between the two was poor.

It’s been the downfall of all the recent managers. I think LJ will be a good manager but he has to sign a couple of decent midfielders and bin a current of couple of players

hibsforeurope
10-12-2022, 08:09 AM

Agreed, his sole focus is making a profit out of Hibs, as long as folk are spending money in Hibs he won’t change his policy.

Iain G
10-12-2022, 08:16 AM

He is more hands on than Tom Farmer ever was.

Would be quite happy if you stop repeating this paranoid pish!

bigwheel
10-12-2022, 08:17 AM
Agreed, his sole focus is making a profit out of Hibs, as long as folk are spending money in Hibs he won’t change his policy.

Posts like this , and the one quoted read like a Hibs version of QAnon..#RONanon

Iain G
10-12-2022, 08:18 AM

I have no issues if he does make money out of Hibs, that will hopefully be through good investment, improved income, better players coming in, more league and cup success and European games and developing and selling players on at a profit.

Iain G
10-12-2022, 08:21 AM
Posts like this , and the one quoted read like a Hibs version of QAnon..#RONanon

It's the Ponzi scheme paranoia all over again! 🤣

WhileTheChief..
10-12-2022, 08:32 AM
Don't keep repeating it then:wink:

I don't doubt the intentions of Ron Gordon in the slightest.

Problem is, his thinking has been too strategic as opposed to tactical.

He needs to concentrate his focus on the here and now....instead of what it will be like in 3 or so years.

We have to get the NOW right, and if we do, then the future can still be rosy..if we don't, then the future will be anything but rosy.

What does this mean?

Sounds like a fancy way of saying he's screwed things up Royally, which he has.

How are things any better now than 2 or 3 years ago? We might have a higher turnover but that's about it.

All the chat about building for the future and having systems in place count for nowt when the football is gash.

I listened to LJs half season round up interview. It was awful. Basically telling everyone to be patient and it will come good some time in the future.There is nothing to suggest that is the case though.

Let's see what RG / LJ do next month with signings. If it's similar to the last 3 or 4 windows then I'd imagine the anger from the fans will return.

Forza Fred
10-12-2022, 08:52 AM
What does this mean?

Sounds like a fancy way of saying he's screwed things up Royally, which he has.

How are things any better now than 2 or 3 years ago? We might have a higher turnover but that's about it.

All the chat about building for the future and having systems in place count for nowt when the football is gash.

I listened to LJs half season round up interview. It was awful. Basically telling everyone to be patient and it will come good some time in the future.There is nothing to suggest that is the case though.

Let's see what RG / LJ do next month with signings. If it's similar to the last 3 or 4 windows then I'd imagine the anger from the fans will return.

Ok, I’ll simplify it for you.

‘He should worry about $&&#$ now, not concentrate on the $&&$* future’

Allant1981
10-12-2022, 09:00 AM

So what did they do day to day?

The Modfather
10-12-2022, 09:09 AM

I’m not sure I’d be using Petrie as an example of being open and transparent. He’s been president of the SFA for 4 years and we still don’t know a single thing about what reform (quiet at the back) he is implementing. Maybe Ron should talk about vague 5 year plans when things are bad but not give any details.

brog
10-12-2022, 09:36 AM

Good post. The current World Cup is a perfect example of both football's evolution and small margins. Firstly, every team in the world, with the possible exception of our Tiny neighbours :wink:, now tries to play the same style of football, ie possession based, recycle where necessary and build from the back. Occasionally we see a long ball from the back, when it's done in the WC the commentators cream themselves, when it's done, even successfully, at ER by Porto or Hanlon, we complain on here. Croatia are in the WC semi finals after having one deflected shot on target in 2 hours. The team that gave us total football had their only 2 shots on target when they, stuck 3 big lumps up top and humped the ball up to them. Yet today Croatia fans are ecstatic and Brazil fans are distraught because the result is the only thing that matters.
We need to be realistic and recognise changing managers or owners will change nothing in the short term. Even on the playing side, who can we realistically bring in who's better than the current incumbents and who would completely change our playing fortunes? As LJ has said the one thing we can affect is our playing style, increase the tempo, do things quicker and more directly. We also need to vastly improve our ratio of shots to shots on target and then to goals. Mind you that's easier said than done! As you say let's hope for a decent result or 2 on our return and take it from there. Everything crossed!

greenpaper55
10-12-2022, 10:50 AM
Build from the back with Hanlon and Porto ! That pair couldn’t build a sandcastle between them,

MWHIBBIES
10-12-2022, 11:08 AM
Build from the back with Hanlon and Porto ! That pair couldn’t build a sandcastle between them,

Ryan hasn't been in good form lately, or at least not in his best form, but he is a quality player. His best games are a level above Hibs, he is a key player for us.

Its amazing all the people who have decided that because he isn't renewing his contract, his head is elsewhere and he isn't interested. Leave that level of lazy speculation to others and support Hibs and our players.

Frazerbob
10-12-2022, 11:25 AM
Ryan hasn't been in good form lately, or at least not in his best form, but he is a quality player. His best games are a level above Hibs, he is a key player for us.

Its amazing all the people who have decided that because he isn't renewing his contract, his head is elsewhere and he isn't interested. Leave that level of lazy speculation to others and support Hibs and our players.

Well said

One Day Soon
10-12-2022, 04:48 PM
Good post. The current World Cup is a perfect example of both football's evolution and small margins. Firstly, every team in the world, with the possible exception of our Tiny neighbours :wink:, now tries to play the same style of football, ie possession based, recycle where necessary and build from the back. Occasionally we see a long ball from the back, when it's done in the WC the commentators cream themselves, when it's done, even successfully, at ER by Porto or Hanlon, we complain on here. Croatia are in the WC semi finals after having one deflected shot on target in 2 hours. The team that gave us total football had their only 2 shots on target when they, stuck 3 big lumps up top and humped the ball up to them. Yet today Croatia fans are ecstatic and Brazil fans are distraught because the result is the only thing that matters.
We need to be realistic and recognise changing managers or owners will change nothing in the short term. Even on the playing side, who can we realistically bring in who's better than the current incumbents and who would completely change our playing fortunes? As LJ has said the one thing we can affect is our playing style, increase the tempo, do things quicker and more directly. We also need to vastly improve our ratio of shots to shots on target and then to goals. Mind you that's easier said than done! As you say let's hope for a decent result or 2 on our return and take it from there. Everything crossed!

Football at the World Cup has been almost universally crap, comparatively speaking. Its been like watching, eating and breathing beige a lot of the time.

My irritation with Gordon, Johnson and the club generally is that we were promised a high tempo game and we haven't been given it. My anger specifically is that we have spend a shed load on new signings and yet our squad looks unbalanced, weak and directionless.

Forza Fred
10-12-2022, 09:40 PM
Football at the World Cup has been almost universally crap, comparatively speaking. Its been like watching, eating and breathing beige a lot of the time.

I must like the taste of beige then.

CB Hibs 68
11-12-2022, 06:25 PM
Well said

I agree totally.

Alfred E Newman
11-12-2022, 08:02 PM
He is more hands on than Tom Farmer ever was.

Would be quite happy if you stop repeating this paranoid pish!

Was that style of ownership not better though?
Give me Tom Farmer every time, the club was far better run under his ownership imho.
Yes there were difficult times but he handed the club over in a great position to push on to the next level.
Unfortunately that is not happening , in fact it’s more like the opposite.

Hibees1973
11-12-2022, 08:09 PM
Was that style of ownership not better though?
Give me Tom Farmer every time, the club was far better run under his ownership imho.
Yes there were difficult times but he handed the club over in a great position to push on to the next level.
Unfortunately that is not happening , in fact it’s more like the opposite.

I agree with this.

Seems we want a mix of previous owners/chief execs.

Leeanne to organsise the structure of the club, Tom to organise the finances and Ron to organise the buffet.

Ron's son can just bugger off cos he's not qualified to do anything.

JimBHibees
11-12-2022, 08:18 PM

Good post

chippy
12-12-2022, 02:45 PM

It’s amazing all the people who have decided that because he isn't renewing his contract, his head is elsewhere and he isn't interested. Leave that level of lazy speculation to others and support Hibs and our players.
Excellent post

Hibees1973
28-12-2022, 09:42 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread on our esteemed owner. He's gone a bit quiet of late.

Are there still some Hibees out there backing our owner to get a successful team on the park. Must be a few less now since the last note was posted on this thread.

His latest managerial appointment is now on a run of 8 losses in 10. His previous appointment proved as clueless as the current one.

Where do we go from here. I don't think we have anywhere enough organisation, fight and determination in the squad that Ron's son has recruited, to get a win at Tiny on Monday and win in the Scottish Cup game in January.

I've seen enough from Ron, his son and Kensall to know that we need to get rid of them all. I understand this is easier said than done but Ron should not be given the chance to sack another manager and appoint another stooge who will be under the thumb of his son when it comes to recruiting players.

We will stumble to the end of the season losing a lot more than we win. Hopefully not to end up in the bottom 2.

It's only going to get better when these guys are gone.

truehibernian
28-12-2022, 09:50 PM
Absolutely ruining this club, pure and simple - taking everyone for a ride, knows nothing about football, hires idiots, gets rid of good people, hides until he has to make an appearance- usually when it’s adverse circumstances 👍 even then, he rolls out the same old cliched nonsense !

Can’t stand him 👍

Carheenlea
28-12-2022, 09:51 PM
Thought I'd resurrect this thread on our esteemed owner. He's gone a bit quiet of late.

Are there still some Hibees out there backing our owner to get a successful team on the park. Must be a few less now since the last note was posted on this thread.

His latest managerial appointment is now on a run of 8 losses in 10. His previous appointment proved as clueless as the current one.

Where do we go from here. I don't think we have anywhere enough organisation, fight and determination in the squad that Ron's son has recruited, to get a win at Tiny on Monday and win in the Scottish Cup game in January.

I've seen enough from Ron, his son and Kensall to know that we need to get rid of them all. I understand this is easier said than done but Ron should not be given the chance to sack another manager and appoint another stooge who will be under the thumb of his son when it comes to recruiting players.

We will stumble to the end of the season losing a lot more than we win. Hopefully not to end up in the bottom 2.

It's only going to get better when these guys are gone.

It’s not his managerial appointments that are the problem.

Hibs4185
28-12-2022, 09:52 PM
Absolutely ruining this club, pure and simple - taking everyone for a ride, knows nothing about football, hires idiots, gets rid of good people, hides until he has to make an appearance- usually when it’s adverse circumstances 👍 even then, he rolls out the same old cliched nonsense !

Can’t stand him 👍

What would you do differently?

Stubbsy90+2
28-12-2022, 09:53 PM
Would love nothing more to find out him and his son are gone tomorrow morning.

Unfortunately that won’t happen and there’ll be a lot more pain to come.

Stubbsy90+2
28-12-2022, 09:53 PM
What would you do differently?

Not appoint a sommelier as head of recruitment of a football club?

Hibs4185
28-12-2022, 09:54 PM

Is he a sommelier? RG has been ruthless with two managers. Is he so blindly loyal to his son that he is willing to blow his investment and relationship with the fans?

CapitalGreen
28-12-2022, 09:54 PM

Why does everyone call Ian Gordon a sommelier, that’s Ron’s other son Colin is it not?