PDA

View Full Version : Streaky Lee

Steve Austin
05-11-2022, 03:01 PM
:confused: Are we as Hibs fans now seeing what Bristol city fans and Sunderland fans say re Lee Johnson :agree:
“Streaky Lee “.
He goes on winning runs then stranger tactics and teams getting caned a few goals!!!
We were all told how he would manage etc ,If anyone looks at how his tenure ended at clubs he was wide open at the back and teams susceptible to hidings!
I want him to succeed at Hibs because far too long we have been a yo yo club in the league..
We seem one minute good next rotten ?
same old Hibs failings over the years with different managers and players.?
Are we needing to change our whole mindset and approach ?..
Lee why are we not consistent enough and susceptible to thrashings it’s same at al, your old clubs???..

Lago
05-11-2022, 03:03 PM
:confused: Are we as Hibs fans now seeing what Bristol city fans and Sunderland fans say re Lee Johnson :agree:
“Streaky Lee “.
He goes on winning runs then stranger tactics and teams getting caned a few goals!!!
We were all told how he would manage etc ,If anyone looks at how his tenure ended at clubs he was wide open at the back and teams susceptible to hidings!
I want him to succeed at Hibs because far too long we have been a yo yo club in the league..
Lee why are we not consistent enough and susceptible to thrashings it’s same at al, your old clubs???..
If it's the same old Hibs over the years hardlt LJ fault.

Unseen work
05-11-2022, 03:15 PM
Results have changed but I don’t think performances have.

Got a bit of luck earlier in the season which is now going against us.

Overall I’m happy with him and the job he’s doing, think we’re still really missing that creative number 10 that would transform our team imo.

Hibee Mac
05-11-2022, 03:18 PM
If we go on streaks but still pick up more points than if we'd drawn a load of games instead then I don't care.

He's undoubtedly improved us since he took over and deserves time. I enjoy watching hibs again which was a real struggle for 18 months or so before he arrived.

I wish fans would look at the bigger picture sometimes rather than focussing on particulars. Take last night for example, 4-1 was never a true reflection of that game but some are treating it as if we were played off the park by Aberdeen. The bigger picture is that we were by far the better team in open play and there's a lot to work with in the team which could make us really good.

Brightside
05-11-2022, 03:20 PM
If it's the same old Hibs over the years hardlt LJ fault.

It’s the same old every team in Scotland outside the old firm.

Key West
05-11-2022, 03:32 PM
I'd like to see a more pragmatic approach away from home, we're not good enough in my opinion to be far too open, not at this
moment in time.

HendoDelivered
05-11-2022, 03:45 PM
Dont most managers go on streaks though? 🤣

Steve Austin
05-11-2022, 04:06 PM
Yes most managers go on bad runs ..I’m saying his previous clubs fans prewarned us he was going to be a rollercoaster ride.,,
hang onto your hats Hibees .!!!!!
we still need invest on real quality if we want to compete on the levels Ron wants us to?
Japanese market maybe one to look at ??...
Or we still lose to st mirrens ,Ross county,and the like ?
Some of the signings have not worked like bojang,Jair,etc...
I hope Lee succeeds ok, I don’t want us going through managers every six months !!!!!.

A Hi-Bee
05-11-2022, 04:14 PM
Streaky Lee,
I like Streaky Bacon, I want a team that wins, more than it loses, not much to ask for, the bacon has to be on well fired rolls as well.

:greengrin

Hibee Mac
05-11-2022, 04:38 PM
Streaky Lee,
I like Streaky Bacon, I want a team that wins, more than it loses, not much to ask for, the bacon has to be on well fired rolls as well.

:greengrinThere is no other form of bacon in my eyes. Only streaky bacon and fools bacon.

Hibbyradge
05-11-2022, 04:47 PM
Streaky Lee,

Several rashers of crispy streaky bacon on buttered, well fired rolls. My god, what a treat.

We don't get well fired rolls here sadly.

Hibbyradge
05-11-2022, 04:52 PM
There is no other form of bacon in my eyes. Only streaky bacon and fools bacon.

That's 2 forms of bacon though. :wink:

kentao
05-11-2022, 04:57 PM
He's got us playing some decent football far better than the last 2 imposters. We are creating alot of chances and dominating most games but we need to find a way of converting our chances. We had 17 shots last night and scored 1 compared to the sheep having 8 shots and scoring 4. Defensively we had a mare last night but we have the makings of a good team. If we could get another couple of 1st team quality players in January 3rd should easily be achievable.

Jones28
05-11-2022, 05:11 PM
Streaky Lee,

I tried a well fired once. I’d rather eat an ashtray.

pollution
05-11-2022, 05:58 PM
Streaking was a fashion in the Seventies. They called it the streak.

A Hi-Bee
05-11-2022, 06:35 PM
I tried a well fired once. I’d rather eat an ashtray.

Used tay eat ashtray's just for a laugh, helped the 80shilling go down. The streaky bacon on the rolls for the morning after.

Hibee Mac
05-11-2022, 06:59 PM
That's 2 forms of bacon though. :wink:Haha I realised that straight after posting [emoji23][emoji106]was wondering if someone would pick up on it.

Touché

05-11-2022, 07:04 PM
After a 1 game winning streak we are currently on a 1 game losing streak.

Jones28
05-11-2022, 07:11 PM
Used tay eat ashtray's just for a laugh, helped the 80shilling go down. The streaky bacon on the rolls for the morning after.

I don’t think we will see eye to eye on the roll front - streaky bacon though.

Streaky bacon on a bagel with avocado for all you ****wit millennials out there like me 👌👌

Iain G
05-11-2022, 07:22 PM
Dunno how one win and one loss makes him streaky!?

Hibernian Verse
05-11-2022, 09:14 PM
This is a Stone Cold thread.

SMAXXA
05-11-2022, 09:44 PM
I'd like to see a more pragmatic approach away from home, we're not good enough in my opinion to be far too open, not at this
moment in time.

What apart from how good we were in the first half last night, beat against UTD away and we’re more than good enough to get a result robbed that night aswell on the back of a bad decision or 2.

Won away to St J, also away to Ross County so I’m no really seeing your point sorry.

andrew70
05-11-2022, 10:31 PM
What apart from how good we were in the first half last night, beat against UTD away and we’re more than good enough to get a result robbed that night aswell on the back of a bad decision or 2.

Won away to St J, also away to Ross County so I’m no really seeing your point sorry.

If anything he was too “pragmatic” last night playing only one recognised striker.

Key West
06-11-2022, 07:50 AM

No problem.

JimBHibees
06-11-2022, 08:22 AM
This is a Stone Cold thread.

blackpoolhibs
06-11-2022, 10:29 AM
He's got us playing some decent football far better than the last 2 imposters. We are creating alot of chances and dominating most games but we need to find a way of converting our chances. We had 17 shots last night and scored 1 compared to the sheep having 8 shots and scoring 4. Defensively we had a mare last night but we have the makings of a good team. If we could get another couple of 1st team quality players in January 3rd should easily be achievable.

Are we really though?

I agree we dominate the ball against most teams, but i'd disagree we create that many chances, good chances.

We are having more efforts on goal, more shots from distance but i'd still say we dont create that many clear cut chances that we miss.

B.H.F.C
06-11-2022, 10:35 AM
Are we really though?

I agree we dominate the ball against most teams, but i'd disagree we create that many chances, good chances.

We are having more efforts on goal, more shots from distance but i'd still say we dont create that many clear cut chances that we miss.

That was the story on Friday. For all the ball we had I’d say we had one real chance in the first half (Henderson header). Other than that it was shots from distance. It was still Aberdeen who came closest to scoring with the one off the line before they got the penalty.

Still a lack of creativity in the team for me.

Sir David Gray
06-11-2022, 11:00 AM
That was the story on Friday. For all the ball we had I’d say we had one real chance in the first half (Henderson header). Other than that it was shots from distance. It was still Aberdeen who came closest to scoring with the one off the line before they got the penalty.

Still a lack of creativity in the team for me.

Which I think will only be even more pronounced without Martin Boyle.

flash
06-11-2022, 11:04 AM
We won the game before last so not sure what sort of streak we are supposed to be on.

SaulGoodman
06-11-2022, 11:18 AM
Glad to see the **** nicknames for our own managers trend is continuing with Lee.

Viva_Palmeiras
06-11-2022, 11:26 AM
“Streaky Lee “.

But that’s not the 64,000 dollar question Steve :)

Steve Austin
06-11-2022, 06:22 PM
But that’s not the 64,000 dollar question Steve :)

It’s the six million dollar question!!.

will we be saying streaky Lee in a few months and all of us tearing our hair out:confused:.

tonyrougier123
06-11-2022, 06:31 PM
Going to need some big results to convince doubters.

I must say watching other teams take points from old firm and our rivals finding ways to win games is slightly disconcerting for our aspirations this season.

I do like the 3-5-2 always have,I hope he perseveres with it and strikes a good balance.

Hibernian Verse
06-11-2022, 06:39 PM

I must say watching other teams take points from old firm and our rivals finding ways to win games is slightly disconcerting for our aspirations this season.

I do like the 3-5-2 always have,I hope he perseveres with it and strikes a good balance.

No one has taken points at Celtic Park and we took points off Rangers at home?

Stubbsy90+2
06-11-2022, 06:49 PM
Are we really though?

:agree:

I didn’t see the team that were dominating and creating chance after chance that others seem to have seen no matter what the stats say. We had a lot of the ball. We had a few efforts from distance and not much else. I can’t say I was approaching half time wondering how we weren’t in the lead, that’s for sure.

Frazerbob
06-11-2022, 06:52 PM

We've taken points in 50% of our games against the Old Firm this season.

ekhibee
06-11-2022, 07:12 PM
We're okay, definitely no more than that. Some of our players are quite good but overrated, and some of our players aren't brilliant but nowhere near as bad as some on here think. Under the present manager IMO we aren't quite as reliant on Boyle as we were, but ironically we could really have done with him last night. On what I've seen this season we'll be perfectly safe, but I don't fancy us to win a trophy or get a European place. Hope I'm wrong of course.

basehibby
06-11-2022, 07:57 PM
Yes most managers go on bad runs ..I’m saying his previous clubs fans prewarned us he was going to be a rollercoaster ride.,,
hang onto your hats Hibees .!!!!!
we still need invest on real quality if we want to compete on the levels Ron wants us to?
Japanese market maybe one to look at ??...
Or we still lose to st mirrens ,Ross county,and the like ?
Some of the signings have not worked like bojang,Jair,etc...
I hope Lee succeeds ok, I don’t want us going through managers every six months !!!!!.

Wholly disagree that Jair signing has not worked out - he was signed for 5 years I think and we were told up front he was one for the future. Have some patience FFS!

Re Bojang I will be very surprised if it does work out for him at Hibs but even for him it's a bit too early to be sure.

Re your overall point though - fair enough. We signed a lot of players in the summer on the basis of potential and "try before you buy" whereas if we want success in the here and now then we need quality players with experience at this level. Therein lie the rub though - such players usually come with a hefty price tag and that's presumably why we have signed a lot of players with potential in the hope they will develop into players we might not have been able to afford otherwise.

basehibby
06-11-2022, 08:00 PM
As long as there are more and longer winning streaks than losing streaks we will be ok and Lee will stay in his job. A five game winning streak in the Scottish Cup would be nice!

Since452
07-11-2022, 05:36 AM
We need to remember that Hearts are way ahead of us in terms of their "plan". They have a squad that's mostly been together a couple of seasons. Yes, they've had Europe but they should now be able to focus on the league and stretch ahead of us. Our main barometer should be Aberdeen as they are in a similar transitional period to us. In that respect it's pretty even. We're going to be inconsistent this season. I can see what the coaching team are trying to do and I like it. Tin hat on but it will probably take a couple of seasons for it to bare fruit. What we can't do is sack yet another manager or we're back to square one.

marinello59
07-11-2022, 06:33 AM
We need to remember that Hearts are way ahead of us in terms of their "plan". They have a squad that's mostly been together a couple of seasons. Yes, they've had Europe but they should now be able to focus on the league and stretch ahead of us. Our main barometer should be Aberdeen as they are in a similar transitional period to us. In that respect it's pretty even. We're going to be inconsistent this season. I can see what the coaching team are trying to do and I like it. Tin hat on but it will probably take a couple of seasons for it to bare fruit. What we can't do is sack yet another manager or we're back to square one.

The season before last Hearts were in a lower league then had to adjust to life in the top league last season which they managed to do without the transition period we seem to constantly require. It all comes down to recruitment, get the right mix of players in and you are up and running. We have failed on that front again. I’ve had it with being constantly in the preparation zone.

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2022, 06:44 AM
The season before last Hearts were in a lower league then had to adjust to life in the top league last season which they managed to do without the transition period we seem to constantly require. It all comes down to recruitment, get the right mix of players in and you are up and running. We have failed on that front again. I’ve had it with being constantly in the preparation zone.

Come on, when it involves us all thats needed is a little patience.

Greenworld
07-11-2022, 06:46 AM
100% how many seasons now must we say midfield midfield midfield it has never been sorted . The engine room of any good team helps the defence but also creats for the forwards until we get a couple of good ones in nothing will change

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

marinello59
07-11-2022, 06:46 AM
Come on, when it involves us all thats needed is a little patience.

I’ve been patient for decades. :greengrin

SMAXXA
07-11-2022, 08:00 AM

Not really your standard lower league team tho was it. They had a premiership team playing in the championship and came up with the majority of the same squad. They have since added to it with experienced players who know the league and some from other leagues who I’d say are less of a ‘punt’ than the likes of travares, bojang etc.

They will finish above us again this season imo. Anyone expecting LJ to address all out issues in 1 window are pretty deluded.

J-C
07-11-2022, 08:16 AM
Our recruitment after Lennon's 2nd season onwards has been poor/scattergun with little plan as to what we want to achieve. LJ seems to have an idea or so I thought but his team selection recently has been weird. We have no identity as a club football wise.

MWHIBBIES
07-11-2022, 08:19 AM
Our recruitment after Lennon's 2nd season onwards has been poor/scattergun with little plan as to what we want to achieve. LJ seems to have an idea or so I thought but his team selection recently has been weird. We have no identity as a club football wise.

We do, though. We play a high risk high reward style that has led to some great wins and some poor losses so far.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 08:21 AM
They have since added to it with experienced players who know the league and some from other leagues who I’d say are less of a ‘punt’ than the likes of travares, bojang etc.

Therein lies the problem. Unless we change our approach we’ll experience more of the same. We need to be signing players capable of coming in and playing or no manager is going to be able to address the problems.

That said, I think LJ has made some poor decisions from Celtic onwards.

Since452
07-11-2022, 09:09 AM

I thought our first half on Friday was probably the best half of football i've seen from us in years in all honesty. As usual though we didn't take our chances. It was almost an Old Firm level of dominance. One way traffic with Aberdeen punting it and trying to counter attack when they could. Just seemed to come straight back to us though for more waves of attack. Won all the second balls. That was hugely encouraging and to me looked like he got his selection correct. I don't blame the manager for the utter collapse second half. The players who showed they were more than capable in the first half need to take a look at themselves and shape up or ship out. I'm certain Lee will have made his mind up on a couple of them.

GreenGray
07-11-2022, 09:11 AM
100% how many seasons now must we say midfield midfield midfield it has never been sorted . The engine room of any good team helps the defence but also creats for the forwards until we get a couple of good ones in nothing will change

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

We are crying out for better quality in midfield, everyone can see it.

Scotty Leither
07-11-2022, 09:16 AM

Hearts got relegated 2 years ago, came up last year and finished third. It seems it’s only Hibs that are constantly “in transition”.

That was the constant schtick we got from Petrie, Gordon’s aspiration is slightly higher than his were I’ll venture, but you’ll not achieve that with the signing policy we appear to have.

BoomtownHibees
07-11-2022, 09:37 AM
I thought our first half on Friday was probably the best half of football i've seen from us in years in all honesty. As usual though we didn't take our chances. It was almost an Old Firm level of dominance. One way traffic with Aberdeen punting it and trying to counter attack when they could. Just seemed to come straight back to us though for more waves of attack. Won all the second balls. That was hugely encouraging and to me looked like he got his selection correct. I don't blame the manager for the utter collapse second half. The players who showed they were more than capable in the first half need to take a look at themselves and shape up or ship out. I'm certain Lee will have made his mind up on a couple of them.

I’d say we were dominant in terms of possession and the game being played mostly in the Aberdeen half however we didn’t create a lot of actual chances in the first half. For the little they done, I’d say Aberdeen still created the best chances in that half

Fergus52
07-11-2022, 09:39 AM
Are we really though?

We have the third highest xG in the league, which is the only objective way a teams quality of chances can be measured or compared.

We don't struggle creating chances, but we badly struggle to convert the chances we do create.

Really hoping Nisbet can make a difference in this regard after the world cup as he's the most natural goal scorer in the squad.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 09:41 AM

Come in on, best football in years?

We played well enough and were in control but had absolutely no cutting edge. Aberdeen went up the park twice and wandered right through the middle of us both times.

Whilst I have no idea how we managed to end up losing that game 4-1 after the way the first half went I think how good we actually were has been exaggerated a bit.

green day
07-11-2022, 09:41 AM
We have the third highest xG in the league, which is the only objective way a teams quality of chances can be measured or compared.

We don't struggle creating chances, but we badly struggle to convert the chances we do create.

Really hoping Nisbet can make a difference in this regard after the world cup as he's the most natural goal scorer in the squad.

I dont have any great worries about the quality of chances, and agree that if we start to convert it will be a different story.

I worry about the defence, those goals we lost on Friday were criminal. I suspect part of it is the 3 CHs, but whatever it is, we need to sort it pronto.

No point having great xG, not converting them and capitulating like that.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 09:43 AM

Don’t know what the XG says but looking at the game on Friday I’d say we had two real chances. Henderson header first half and the goal. Everything else was pretty speculative and from distance.

Fergus52
07-11-2022, 10:01 AM
We are crying out for better quality in midfield, everyone can see it.

Nah, not for me.

They had a mare second half on Friday but have been playing really well this season for the most part.

They have been doing all that is expected of them in Johnson's style of play: pressing well, winning the ball high up the pitch and progressing it into the final third quickly.

Kenneh, Newell, Magennis is as strong and balanced a midfield 3 as anyone outside of the old firm has imo, got a bit of everything there.

Definitely scope for improvement but its nowhere near our biggest issue.

Fergus52
07-11-2022, 10:09 AM
I dont have any great worries about the quality of chances, and agree that if we start to convert it will be a different story.

I worry about the defence, those goals we lost on Friday were criminal. I suspect part of it is the 3 CHs, but whatever it is, we need to sort it pronto.

No point having great xG, not converting them and capitulating like that.

yeah conceding sloppy goals is unfortunately still a big issue, need to tighten that up.

Don’t know what the XG says but looking at the game on Friday I’d say we had two real chances. Henderson header first half and the goal. Everything else was pretty speculative and from distance.

the xG model which was pretty good that I used to look at stopped covering the scottish league a few weeks ago unfortunately.

another one I just found online had us at 2.2 on Friday, which makes sense for two big chances and a good few lower quality long range efforts. They only had Aberdeen at 1.3, but I'm not sure if that includes the penalty which would bring them up to about 2.1.

loanheadhibby
07-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Nah, not for me.

They had a mare second half on Friday but have been playing really well this season for the most part.

They have been doing all that is expected of them in Johnson's style of play: pressing well, winning the ball high up the pitch and progressing it into the final third quickly.

Kenneh, Newell, Magennis is as strong and balanced a midfield 3 as anyone outside of the old firm has imo, got a bit of everything there.

Definitely scope for improvement but its nowhere near our biggest issue.

Can’t agree with your statement about our midfield at all. We’ve lost 4 of our last 5 games and are bottom of form guide.

loanheadhibby
07-11-2022, 10:17 AM

All this XG stuff is all fine and well but do people not use their eyes anymore? As you say we created one real chance in 1st half with Henderson header. Big Dave had a free kick. Newell ballooned about 5 over the bar.

Newell had a wee chance near the end and keeper made a good save. Other than that we never created much. Lots of nice pretty possession.

Ozyhibby
07-11-2022, 10:32 AM
Tomorrow has now become must win for Johnson. Anything less and the pressure on him will increase significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 10:37 AM
yeah conceding sloppy goals is unfortunately still a big issue, need to tighten that up.

the xG model which was pretty good that I used to look at stopped covering the scottish league a few weeks ago unfortunately.

another one I just found online had us at 2.2 on Friday, which makes sense for two big chances and a good few lower quality long range efforts. They only had Aberdeen at 1.3, but I'm not sure if that includes the penalty which would bring them up to about 2.1.

Think this is why I’m sceptical about XG (and stats in general as opposed to what I watch to be honest).

Watching the game on Friday, we had all the ball and more shots but they had more clear cut chances for me and scored 4 goals yet we have a higher XG. They had a 1v1 that ended up cleared of the line and the penalty in the first half. They then scored two goals inside the six yard box in the second half with nobody challenging. We had nowhere near that quality of chances and created little really clear cut IMO.

Since452
07-11-2022, 11:04 AM
Tomorrow has now become must win for Johnson. Anything less and the pressure on him will increase significantly.

I have a feeling we'll win and win fairly comfortably.

MWHIBBIES
07-11-2022, 11:16 AM

Why, though? Are we really going to start ****ing hounding him already?

It's pathetic honestly. He's already made is much better than last season, and that's with key players missing.

Fergus52
07-11-2022, 11:23 AM
Can’t agree with your statement about our midfield at all. We’ve lost 4 of our last 5 games and are bottom of form guide.

You've just made two statements there that are irrelevant to each other though? A team can go through a bad bit of form with parts of the team still performing well.

In all of our last 5 games, except Celtic, we've emphatically won the midfield battle.

Against St Mirren they were completely dominant against the team that was sitting third at the time.

Those 4 losses have arised from poor mentality when things don't go our way - right through the team. And from poor decision making and a lack of incisiveness in the final third, which Newell Magennis Henderson Campbell can all take some blame for blame for but has more been down to our forwards.

Throughout this season we've been extremely effective at winning the ball back in the middle third of the pitch and at dominating possession while also progressing the ball vertically through the oppositions defensive lines very fast (unlike all the sideways nonsense under Maloney and at times under Ross) all of this has came from strong performances in midfield, minus a couple of games.

WhileTheChief..
07-11-2022, 11:27 AM
Not really your standard lower league team tho was it. They had a premiership team playing in the championship and came up with the majority of the same squad. They have since added to it with experienced players who know the league and some from other leagues who I’d say are less of a ‘punt’ than the likes of travares, bojang etc.

They will finish above us again this season imo. Anyone expecting LJ to address all out issues in 1 window are pretty deluded.

Deluded? Really? That’s quite the insult right there.

Plenty of clubs change manger and players and do well from the get go.

WhileTheChief..
07-11-2022, 11:29 AM
You've just made two statements there that are irrelevant to each other though? A team can go through a bad bit of form with parts of the team still performing well.

In all of our last 5 games, except Celtic, we've emphatically won the midfield battle.

Against St Mirren they were completely dominant against the team that was sitting third at the time.

Those 4 losses have arised from poor mentality when things don't go our way - right through the team. And from poor decision making and a lack of incisiveness in the final third, which Newell Magennis Henderson Campbell can all take some blame for blame for but has more been down to our forwards.

Throughout this season we've been extremely effective at winning the ball back in the middle third of the pitch and at dominating possession while also progressing the ball vertically through the oppositions defensive lines very fast (unlike all the sideways nonsense under Maloney and at times under Ross) all of this has came from strong performances in midfield, minus a couple of games.

Nah, it’s four defeats, that’s what matters.

I bet you LJ isn’t looking at things like you are. We needs results, not decent passages of leaky that lead to nowt.

loanheadhibby
07-11-2022, 11:33 AM

but you'll agree there is more to midfield than winning the battle? We won the midfield battle in just about every game under Maloney. We often had 60-70% possession in games under Maloney

How many goals have these 3 guys delivered in the last 5 games? 1 or possibly 2. How many goal saving challenges have they made? How many clear cut chances have they created for the forwards?

The midfield are part of the team. As I said earlier, I can barely remember our midfield creating a chance on Friday night. Newell goes missing for the 2nd goal. To say they are as good as anything outside the old firm is a stretch but we'll see at the end of the season. Last season we had the 8th best midfield in the league. Hopefully this year we have the 3rd best midfield in the league.

WhileTheChief..
07-11-2022, 11:35 AM

It's pathetic honestly. He's already made is much better than last season, and that's with key players missing.

Ross won something like 1 in 9 before getting axed, Maloney was similar.

We’re at 1 in 5 now, with Celtic and Rangers coming soon.

Half way there?!!

loanheadhibby
07-11-2022, 11:39 AM

I don't think anyone said they are going to hound Lee Johnson. However, it's a results driven business and 4 defeats in 5 starts to become a concern. No one will know that more than LJ as he has lost his previous jobs when results did not go his way.

If Lee Johnson guides us to an 8th place finish by playing more attractive football than Shaun Maloney, would you consider that sufficient progress to keep him in the job?

loanheadhibby
07-11-2022, 11:41 AM

Half way there?!!

Agreed, he needs 2 good results on next 2 games. Fingers crossed he delivers.

MWHIBBIES
07-11-2022, 11:45 AM

Half way there?!!

Does this reset if we win tomorrow? Is he 2 wins from 3?

Some are ****ing desperate for him to fail.

JimBHibees
07-11-2022, 11:47 AM

Nah

NAE NOOKIE
07-11-2022, 11:55 AM

Which sound mental on the face of it for a team still well in touch with the top 6 and European places. But in today's football fans and owners don't wait for a bad season to heap the pressure on, an extended run of poor results is enough.

After the WC we have three of the toughest fixtures we face in the league and a tricky home fixture to Livvi who are nobody's mugs this season. The least LG needs in the next 6 fixtures is a win tomorrow, at worst a draw at Rugby park and a win at home to Livvi. If two of those three games don't go our way and the probable outcome of our games against Celtic, Sevco and Hertz transpires it wont be looking good at all.

Nobody in their right mind will be calling for LJ's head, the last thing we need is for Hibs to become the Scottish version of Watford. But there is little logic and even less patience in the football world and if the worst case scenario transpires who knows what will happen. I couldn't help but notice that Alex Neil's mental decision to walk away from Sunderland for Stoke City doesn't appear to be working out for him .... we could do worse :greengrin

Jones28
07-11-2022, 12:10 PM
I don't think anyone said they are going to hound Lee Johnson. However, it's a results driven business and 4 defeats in 5 starts to become a concern. No one will know that more than LJ as he has lost his previous jobs when results did not go his way.

If Lee Johnson guides us to an 8th place finish by playing more attractive football than Shaun Maloney, would you consider that sufficient progress to keep him in the job?

So we sack Johnson after less than a year in the job and a change in strategy.

How much time does a new manager get to really put their ideas across?

Lago
07-11-2022, 12:14 PM

Half way there?!!
You seem to be looking forward to failure to bolster your stats

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 12:17 PM

There’s no point in us changing manager again.

Our recruitment won’t allow us to be as successful as the fans want us to be, or as successful as the club have stated they want us to be.

Short of getting an obscenely good manager in, we’d see the next man have the same issues that Jack Ross had, Maloney had and the same issues LJ is having in that the quality just simply isn’t available to them to deliver what’s expected of them.

Until we start signing more proven players and less punts from leagues with a completely different style of football to us we’ll continue to float around mid table.

loanheadhibby
07-11-2022, 12:26 PM

I’m certainly not advocating that LJ should be sacked. However you could argue Maloney never got enough time as he didn’t even get a year.

Is 8th playing slightly more attractive football better than finishing 8th under Maloney style play?

J-C
07-11-2022, 12:41 PM
No one is asking or wanting LJ to be axed but we've already seen Ron doesn't hang around if he feels things are going wrong and results aren't going our way. He's been well back in the last window, yes we might not be happy with certain players being brought in for the future/development team but LJ was well backed and if he can't get things moving in the right direction, big Ron could get the itchy trigger finger again.

LK1
07-11-2022, 12:46 PM
We need to give Lee time.

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 12:50 PM
No one is asking or wanting LJ to be axed but we've already seen Ron doesn't hang around if he feels things are going wrong and results aren't going our way. He's been well back in the last window, yes we might not be happy with certain players being brought in for the future/development team but LJ was well backed and if he can't get things moving in the right direction, big Ron could get the itchy trigger finger again.

Don’t agree he was well backed.

The club maybe spent a bit of money but that doesn’t equate to being well backed when you see what it was spent on imo.

Jones28
07-11-2022, 12:52 PM
I’m certainly not advocating that LJ should be sacked. However you could argue Maloney never got enough time as he didn’t even get a year.

Is 8th playing slightly more attractive football better than finishing 8th under Maloney style play?

I think if you really thought about it you could make a case for any manager to not get the sack, but I think Maloney was out of his depth and it was becoming more obvious by the game.

It is slightly better, but neither outcome is at all acceptable. What I would take this season is a top six finish with a clear and obvious indication of the direction we are going in. January could be season defining and if we make some shrewd signings in key areas (centra half, centre mid, left mid, depending on Myko a striker) we could have a strong finish. If Johnson finishes bottom six then it will all come down to how the games themselves played out.

I don’t really buy this mentality stuff, we had shown plenty of grit to get some last minute goals earlier this season. Is Josh Campbell the key man when it comes to mentality?

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 01:40 PM
We need to give Lee time.

He will be given time.

This thread is mostly just noise.

The suggestion that we could bring a manager in, give him one transfer window and expect the team to be miraculously transformed into a winning machine is ludicrous.

We're not a great team, but we're definitely better than we were. Even if the results and league placings are similar to last season's, Hibs are better to watch and have more potential.

If I was Ron Gordon, I'd be committing to keeping LJ for the longer term. He needs time to get his ideas across, to bring in the personnel needed to make it work better and better, and to strengthen the culture that is currently dominant at ER.

If Hibs lose tomorrow, and RG had the same lack of resilience as many in today's disposable culture, and sacked LJ, we'd be recruiting our 5th full time manager in 12 months.

People want someone to come in and change things for the better practically overnight. Which talented manager is going to risk their CV and reputation signing for a basket case like that?

Oh aye, Roy Keane. :rolleyes:

Fergus52
07-11-2022, 01:46 PM
Nah, it’s four defeats, that’s what matters.

I bet you LJ isn’t looking at things like you are. We needs results, not decent passages of leaky that lead to nowt.

I wasn't trying to claim that 4 defeats in 5 isn't pish, it is and Johnson rightly won't be happy. I was making the point that an element of a team can still be performing well even during bad runs of form.

but you'll agree there is more to midfield than winning the battle? We won the midfield battle in just about every game under Maloney. We often had 60-70% possession in games under Maloney

How many goals have these 3 guys delivered in the last 5 games? 1 or possibly 2. How many goal saving challenges have they made? How many clear cut chances have they created for the forwards?

The midfield are part of the team. As I said earlier, I can barely remember our midfield creating a chance on Friday night. Newell goes missing for the 2nd goal. To say they are as good as anything outside the old firm is a stretch but we'll see at the end of the season. Last season we had the 8th best midfield in the league. Hopefully this year we have the 3rd best midfield in the league.

I wouldn't class Maloney's performances as winning the midfield battle no, yeah we had a lot of possession but most of it was from our centre backs and centre mids playing slow sideways passes between eachother. We didn't win the ball back quickly, we didn't move the ball forward effectively and we didn't create anything. Under Johnson we've had a lot of possession but have actually been creative with it at the same time.

How many 'goal saving challenges' do you expect central midfielders to be making? your lucky if you see 1 or 2 from a centre back every few games never mind midfielders. You're judging them on ridiculous criteria imo. If you compared tackles and interceptions per game to other centre mids in the league then Kenneh and Newell are both right up there.

Newell created 2 or 3 clear cut chances in the St mirren game alone. In our last 5 games he has 14 chance creating passes (from who scored). Our wasteful front line is not the fault of the midfield.

Which team in the league could put out a midfield 3 that is without a doubt stronger then? An argument could be made for Aberdeen but they were getting dominated by us in the midfield on Friday, particularly in the first half - the difference between the sides was forwards that know how to take chances and can capitalise on opposition mistakes.

I'd much rather have those 3 than Haring, Devlin and Grant. And none of the combinations of midfielders I've seen St Mirren, Livingston, Motherwell etc. put out this season have looked as strong as ours.

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2022, 02:21 PM
He will be given time.

This thread is mostly just noise.

The suggestion that we could bring a manager in, give him one transfer window and expect the team to be miraculously transformed into a winning machine is ludicrous.

We're not a great team, but we're definitely better than we were. Even if the results and league placings are similar to last season's, Hibs are better to watch and have more potential.

If I was Ron Gordon, I'd be committing to keeping LJ for the longer term. He needs time to get his ideas across, to bring in the personnel needed to make it work better and better, and to strengthen the culture that is currently dominant at ER.

If Hibs lose tomorrow, and RG had the same lack of resilience as many in today's disposable culture, and sacked LJ, we'd be recruiting our 5th full time manager in 12 months.

People want someone to come in and change things for the better practically overnight. Which talented manager is going to risk their CV and reputation signing for a basket case like that?

Oh aye, Roy Keane. :rolleyes:

As daft as it was when folk were going on about Roy Keane, i do wonder if he was approached, did he say bollox to that when they pitched the strategy of spending decent money by our standards on punts for the future?

Managers are in the end judged by results, and Ron's plan may come to fruition some way down the line.

I personally think LJ should get at least another 2 windows, but Ron has form for pulling the trigger.

It might not be LJ that see's that out though if we dont improve the quality of the TEAM after the next window.

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 02:30 PM

We just done that with the previous manager? We appointed him to take over a failing team, sold by far and away our best player right after he got in the door and gave him the more difficult transfer window where we signed terribly before binning him after 4 months.

I’m not sure the suggestion it could happen again is ludicrous although I don’t see it happening to LJ, nor should it.

Ron Gordon has shown he won’t hang around before pulling the trigger already though and if we managed not to win on Tuesday I fully expect the pressure will be starting to build.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 02:43 PM
We just done that with the previous manager? We appointed him to take over a failing team, sold by far and away our best player right after he got in the door and gave him the more difficult transfer window where we signed terribly before binning him after 4 months.

I’m not sure the suggestion it could happen again is ludicrous although I don’t see it happening to LJ, nor should it.

Ron Gordon has shown he won’t hang around before pulling the trigger already though and if we managed not to win on Tuesday I fully expect the pressure will be starting to build.

It would be ludicrous to expect a decent manager to come in when they're expected to perform miracles or face dismissal.

It would be ludicrous to sack LJ but, yes, I guess it's possible.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 02:44 PM

The first part is all fine and well but the club then need to back him on getting the personnel required. At the moment, I don’t see a great deal of evidence that will happen. We need players who are capable of coming in and hitting the ground running. Unless the club shift their approach a bit, then I think it’ll be difficult for Johnson to build a consistent team.

That said, I think he’s made some questionable decisions in the last few weeks.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 02:53 PM
The first part is all fine and well but the club then need to back him on getting the personnel required. At the moment, I don’t see a great deal of evidence that will happen. We need players who are capable of coming in and hitting the ground running. Unless the club shift their approach a bit, then I think it’ll be difficult for Johnson to build a consistent team.

That said, I think he’s made some questionable decisions in the last few weeks.

I think we should wait until February to say whether or not LJ is getting backed.

Having said that, I think he's been well backed already. Resigning Martin Boyle, on huge wages, must have hammered the budget, if not exceeded it. That is huge backing itself.

Then add McGeady, Marshall, Cabraja, Kenneh, Melkerson and McKirdy and it becomes obvious that the support is there.

Had we just signed the 7 players I mentioned, or add Youan to make 8, most fans would have been content. The fact that we also signed several players for the development team, and made a bit of a fuss about them, has skewed people's views of our activity, imo.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 03:07 PM
Personally, I think we should wait until February to say whether or not LJ has been backed.

I think he's been well backed already. Resigning Martin Boyle, on huge wages, must have hammered the budget, if not exceeded it. That is huge backing itself.

Then add McGeady, Marshall, Cabraja, Kenneth, Melkerson and McKirdy and it becomes obvious that the support is there.

Had we just signed the 7 players I mentioned, or add Youan to make 8, most fans would have been content. The fact that we also signed several players for the development team, and made a bit of a fuss about them, has skewed people's views of our activity, imo.

Financially there’s absolutely no doubt that there is backing there.

But even just taking those that you’ve noted is the point I’m making I guess. Melkersen and Kenneh are kids who had never played serious first team football. One of them hadn’t even played on grass!

I don’t think anyone would have been happy just signing that 7 or 8 to be honest. There are a number of players beyond that who weren’t development team signings but who are making no impact on the team either (and a lot of that is down to the type of player we are going for).

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 03:09 PM
Financially there’s absolutely no doubt that there is backing there.

But even just taking those that you’ve noted is the point I’m making I guess. Melkersen and Kenneh are kids who had never played serious first team football. One of them hadn’t even played on grass!

Really?

Who hadn't played on grass?

jeffers
07-11-2022, 03:10 PM
Really?

Who hadn't played on grass?

Melkersen hadn’t.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 03:13 PM
Melkersen hadn’t.

Really? Wow, I never knew that.

Norway youth teams didn't play on grass?

That's incredible.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 03:16 PM
Melkerson was signed by Maloney so he shouldn't have been in my list anyway.

jeffers
07-11-2022, 03:18 PM
Really? Wow, I never knew that.

Norway youth teams didn't play on grass?

That's incredible.

There were a few articles about it around the time of the Scottish Cup tie v Well.

I guess that must be the case, ‘cos he’d had one full season before joining us.

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 03:34 PM
There were a few articles about it around the time of the Scottish Cup tie v Well.

I guess that must be the case, ‘cos he’d had one full season before joining us.

I’m sure it’s part of the reason we waited so long to play him.

J-C
07-11-2022, 03:43 PM
Don’t agree he was well backed.

The club maybe spent a bit of money but that doesn’t equate to being well backed when you see what it was spent on imo.

Well backed moneywise, maybe not in the players brought in but good money was spent this last 2 windows.

He's here!
07-11-2022, 03:43 PM

If we lose at home to Ross County he'd deserve all the flak which would come his way because that would be an abysmal result. There's no two ways about that.

Fingers crossed we win (ideally with a bit of swagger) but it's far from unreasonable to suggest he'd be under pressure after a fifth defeat in six games. The nature of some of those defeats, where we appeared to throw in the towel, is already of concern.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 03:47 PM
Well backed moneywise, maybe not in the players brought in but good money was spent this last 2 windows.

Giving the manager money to spend is backing him.

Would anyone really have preferred a couple of different players in place of Martin Boyle?

Ozyhibby
07-11-2022, 03:54 PM

Would anyone really have preferred a couple of different players in place of Martin Boyle?

I would have preferred a centre mid before signing Aiden mcgeady. Or Tavares, Bojang or any of the others who haven’t featured.
Signing Boyle was good business but it shouldn’t stop us doing other business.

WhileTheChief..
07-11-2022, 03:59 PM
Does this reset if we win tomorrow? Is he 2 wins from 3?

Some are ****ing desperate for him to fail.

It would yeah!!

Not sure if you're meaning me, but I'm desperate for him to succeed not fail. I think we all are.

My point is that if this run continues it will be RG and the board he needs to worry about, not the fans.

J-C
07-11-2022, 03:59 PM

I was more thinking of Youan, McGeady, Tavares, McKirdy, Miller and Bojang.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 04:00 PM
I would have preferred a centre mid before signing Aiden mcgeady. Or Tavares, Bojang or any of the others who haven’t featured.
Signing Boyle was good business but it shouldn’t stop us doing other business.

That's not the same thing.

The manager has been backed whether you like the players he brought in is irrelevant to that.

WhileTheChief..
07-11-2022, 04:02 PM
You seem to be looking forward to failure to bolster your stats

Ha, not at all.

That you think that says more about the way you read other's posts, always looking for the negative. They're not my stats ffs.

Check the !! i put in the post. Everyone else could tell that that I was having a little bit of fun.

Always looking for a fight.

Ozyhibby
07-11-2022, 04:12 PM
That's not the same thing.

The manager has been backed whether you like the players he brought in is irrelevant to that.

I agree totally. The manager has indeed been backed and he’s expected to deliver European football or I think he’ll be sacked. If that looks in doubt at any time then he’s in danger.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 04:17 PM

But is it him that is spending it all?

I know they’ll say he has final say and so on but we all know football is different these days and managers aren’t in control of who is signed all the time.

He has to work to our structure and strategy and whilst that remains the same I don’t think it’s giving him the best possible backing.

WhileTheChief..
07-11-2022, 04:17 PM
If we lose at home to Ross County he'd deserve all the flak which would come his way because that would be an abysmal result. There's no two ways about that.

Fingers crossed we win (ideally with a bit of swagger) but it's far from unreasonable to suggest he'd be under pressure after a fifth defeat in six games. The nature of some of those defeats, where we appeared to throw in the towel, is already of concern.

Even if we lose tomorrow there won't be a huge crowd calling for LJ to go. We're a million miles from that.

With Maloney, it was bubbling under the surface from game 1. Everyone could see he had to go and it was just a matter of counting the weeks.

I don't get that vibe with LJ at all. I think the vast majority of fans are fully behind him but feel the club have let him / us down with their signing policy.

That buys him a lot of time.

I think we could finish 8th this season and he won't be under any threat of losing his job. Next year, 4th will be expected or he will be gone.

Ozyhibby
07-11-2022, 04:33 PM
Even if we lose tomorrow there won't be a huge crowd calling for LJ to go. We're a million miles from that.

With Maloney, it was bubbling under the surface from game 1. Everyone could see he had to go and it was just a matter of counting the weeks.

I don't get that vibe with LJ at all. I think the vast majority of fans are fully behind him but feel the club have let him / us down with their signing policy.

I think we could finish 8th this season and he won't be under any threat of losing his job. Next year, 4th will be expected or he will be gone.

There is zero evidence that RG will allow him to finish 8th and survive? You’ve just made that up. It just won’t happen. If he doesn’t get Europe he’ll be gone.

WestStandWillie
07-11-2022, 04:35 PM
3pts tomorrow or the peg starts to wobble.

I'm interested to see if LJ follows through on his "Get on board or GTF" threats in January.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 04:35 PM

I know they’ll say he has final say and so on but we all know football is different these days and managers aren’t in control of who is signed all the time.

He has to work to our structure and strategy and whilst that remains the same I don’t think it’s giving him the best possible backing.

There's nothing I can say if you won't accept that signing Martin Boyle, in itself, is hugely backing the manager.

His transfer fee will have been in the millions and then we can add his salary and the length of his contract. We're never going to recoup that investment, but it's not good enough.

Lee Johnson has said he has final say on signings but you think he's lying about that because "we all know" better.

It's like trying to discuss something with a conspiracy theorist or a flat earther. All the evidence, of which there is plenty, points to one thing, but they believe another with zero to back it up.

So, I'll stop trying.

Jones28
07-11-2022, 04:37 PM
3pts tomorrow or the peg starts to wobble.

I'm interested to see if LJ follows through on his "Get on board or GTF" threats in January.

The peg as in the peg holding up his lovely tan jacket he was wearing Celtic park?

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 04:39 PM
For all I think we have plenty problems to solve, it is worth remembering that a win tomorrow has us third at best and fourth at worst.

With how tight the league is, we really need the win though.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 04:43 PM
There's nothing I can say if you won't accept that signing Martin Boyle, in itself, is hugely backing the manager.

His transfer fee will have been in the millions and then we can add his salary and the length of his contract. We're never going to recoup that investment, but it's not good enough.

Lee Johnson has said he has final say on signings but you think he's lying about that because "we all know" better.

It's like trying to discuss something with a conspiracy theorist or a flat earther. All the evidence, of which there is plenty, points to one thing, but they believe another with zero to back it up.

So, I'll stop trying.

Are you ignoring the bit where I said there is no doubt that there has been financial backing?

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 04:48 PM

There’s no way he has final say on all signings. No manager in their right mind is giving the ok to a raft of players with no first team experience or no experience playing and succeeding at this level to keep them in their job.

And what does ‘final say’ look like anyway? Here you go Lee, you can have Bojang or you can have another guy with equal pedigree and ability, you get the final say. Has to be one of them though. Being told LJ has the final say really doesn’t make anything any clearer. If he gets presented with a bunch of ***** players but gets to make the final call on what one we pick id still say that’s not backing him.

We signed 3 players in the summer who had proven themselves good enough for this level in Boyle, Marshall and McGeady (although I didn’t fancy he’d be good enough but I’d fancy LJ would have been happy with him so I’ll include him). That’s not backing him imo.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 04:48 PM
Are you ignoring the bit where I said there is no doubt that there has been financial backing?

No.

You said the backing wasn't good enough.

And you said that LJ wasn't telling the truth in attempt to blame Hibs for that backing not being good enough.

You've got your point of view. I disagree. Neither of us will change so let's just leave it there.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 04:54 PM
No.

You said the backing wasn't good enough.

And you said that LJ wasn't telling the truth in attempt to blame Hibs for that backing not being good enough.

You've got your point of view. I disagree. Neither of us will change so let's just leave it there.

I never said the financial backing wasn’t good enough. I think it’s probably the best it’s been in my time supporting Hibs.

I think it’s pretty clear that there is a certain profile of player being put to Johnson most of the time though. And that profile of player doesn’t give him the best chance of improving the team and that is where I have an issue with the backing.

Don’t think there’s anything unreasonable in that view and the comparison to conspiracy theories and stuff like that is a lot of patronising pish.

Ozyhibby
07-11-2022, 05:01 PM
I’ve no idea if Johnson has final say in transfers or not. I know who’ll get the blame if there is no success though.

Lago
07-11-2022, 05:02 PM
Ha, not at all.

That you think that says more about the way you read other's posts, always looking for the negative. They're not my stats ffs.

Check the !! i put in the post. Everyone else could tell that that I was having a little bit of fun.

Always looking for a fight.
Not looking for a fight at all, sick in tired of the hands being rubbed in glee at the expectation of another defeat, and the prospect of hounding the manager out the club, be careful what you wish for this is Scottish football not the EPL where you pull in another mega manager.

Ozyhibby
07-11-2022, 05:06 PM
Not looking for a fight at all, sick in tired of the hands being rubbed in glee at the expectation of another defeat, and the prospect of hounding the manager out the club, be careful what you wish for this is Scottish football not the EPL where you pull in another mega manager.

I don’t think either of the last two managers were hounded out. There were some who wanted them gone but the pressure could have been resisted. Fact is that RG pulled the trigger himself. If Johnson is in danger, it’s not from the fans.

matty_f
07-11-2022, 05:07 PM

How was our transition when we came up from the Championship under Lennon?

Basildon Hibs
07-11-2022, 05:11 PM
There is zero evidence that RG will allow him to finish 8th and survive? You’ve just made that up. It just won’t happen. If he doesn’t get Europe he’ll be gone.

👍

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 05:13 PM
I never said the financial backing wasn’t good enough. I think it’s probably the best it’s been in my time supporting Hibs.

I think it’s pretty clear that there is a certain profile of player being put to Johnson most of the time though. And that profile of player doesn’t give him the best chance of improving the team and that is where I have an issue with the backing.

Don’t think there’s anything unreasonable in that view and the comparison to conspiracy theories and stuff like that is a lot of patronising pish.

You said "I don’t think it’s giving him the best possible backing."

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 05:17 PM

I did, yea. But I don’t think I can be much clearer in saying that I don’t mean that in a financial sense.

You were selective in the bit you picked out when what I actually said was “He has to work to our structure and strategy and whilst that remains the same I don’t think it’s giving him the best possible backing”

Lago
07-11-2022, 05:19 PM
I don’t think either of the last two managers were hounded out. There were some who wanted them gone but the pressure could have been resisted. Fact is that RG pulled the trigger himself. If Johnson is in danger, it’s not from the fans.

From the moment Johnson was appointed there was a pretty strong "I didn't want him but I'll support him now he's here" however the undercurrent of Johnson disapproval has continued, in my opinion.

blackpoolhibs
07-11-2022, 05:24 PM

I dont think he has been backed as best as he possibly could Dave. We needed quality players especially midfield and at the back.

We have even started games this season with the same midfield as last seasons duds.

LJ has admitted he wanted rid of Rocky, we ended up with Fish in at 11.59 on the last day of the window.

This may not be LJ's fault, a lot of it is down to the strategy the club is going down in filling the developement squad with players that might make it some time in the future.

I'd bet my last penny LJ would prefer players ready and better than he currently has now for the team.

Yes the club have spent money, more than i've seen in my lifetime, but it's not been spent properly in my opinion, and i'd guess if LJ is another manager sacked before his time, his view too.

So yes, i agree LJ has not been backed as he'd have liked.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 05:25 PM
From the moment Johnson was appointed there was a pretty strong "I didn't want him but I'll support him now he's here" however the undercurrent of Johnson disapproval has continued, in my opinion.

I’d disagree with that. There is no doubt a lot of people didn’t find him the most inspiring appointment but I think he’s had a pretty fair ride so far. And that’s despite getting off to a pretty disastrous start. Even now I think a lot of people (me included) think a lot of our issues are above him. And above all else, the support have been turning up in really good numbers, particularly away.

Jones28
07-11-2022, 05:26 PM
I dont think he has been backed as best as he possibly could Dave. We needed quality players especially midfield and at the back.

We have even started games this season with the same midfield as last seasons duds.

LJ has admitted he wanted rid of Rocky, we ended up with Fish in at 11.59 on the last day of the window.

This may not be LJ's fault, a lot of it is down to the strategy the club is going down in filling the developement squad with players that might make it some time in the future.

I'd bet my last penny LJ would prefer players ready and better than he currently has now for the team.

Yes the club have spent money, more than i've seen in my lifetime, but it's not been spent properly in my opinion, and i'd guess if LJ is another manager sacked before his time, his view too.

Do you think LJ was briefed properly about what the club were doing? Strategy and vision must have been a big part of the interview process.

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 05:32 PM
Do you think LJ was briefed properly about what the club were doing? Strategy and vision must have been a big part of the interview process.

He started to seem a bit pissed off in the summer about signings did he not? I can’t remember the exact position/circumstances that lead to it but I’m sure it was quite noticeable at the time.

I don’t doubt he’s been briefed to some extent. I’d be stunned if he expected to be taking over a team that finished 8th last season though, losing a multi million pound left back and getting only 3 proven players at this level in to improve things with the rest being punts to varying degrees.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 05:40 PM
I did, yea. But I don’t think I can be much clearer in saying that I don’t mean that in a financial sense.

You were selective in the bit you picked out when what I actually said was “He has to work to our structure and strategy and whilst that remains the same I don’t think it’s giving him the best possible backing”

Ok. I don't really understand your point though.

Are you suggesting that every new manager should bring in their own structure and strategy to be properly backed?

My point about conspiracy theorists is that LJ and Hibs have said that he has the final say on transfers. There is no evidence to the contrary, yet you, and others, "know" that he's not telling the truth about that.

As an aside, why would he say he had the final say, if it wasn't the case?

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 05:43 PM

I don't think there are many managers anywhere who are backed as they would like to be. He's been backed as fully as has been possible.

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 05:45 PM

Are you suggesting that every new manager should bring in their own structure and strategy to be properly backed?

My point about conspiracy theorists is that LJ and Hibs have said that he has the final say on transfers. There is no evidence to the contrary, yet you, and others, "know" that he's not telling the truth about that.

What does having the final say look like?

Is it “na I don’t want Bojang I want Lawrence Shankland?” Or is it “ok I’ll have Bojang as the other option looks even less appealing”.

Simply saying he has the final say tells us absolutely nothing without us knowing what he’s getting the final say on.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 05:46 PM
What does having the final say look like?

No idea. You?

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 05:47 PM
No idea. You?

I didn’t mean to post my post as quick as I did so I’ve edited it.

You’re clinging onto him having the final say as evidence of him being backed yet you don’t know what he’s getting the final say on?

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 05:51 PM
I didn’t mean to post my post as quick as I did so I’ve edited it.

You’re clinging onto him having the final say as evidence of him being backed yet you don’t know what he’s getting the final say on?

I'm not clinging on to anything.

I'm pointing out that we've spent more money than in the club's history to bring in players. That's hard nosed, ponied up backing.

You're making up something that you have no idea about. "I have the final say". You aren't happy with that so ask, What does it look like? Jeez.

Fine. He's not being backed and will probably walk if he doesn't get exactly what he wants in January.

B.H.F.C
07-11-2022, 05:57 PM

The point is fairly obvious is it not, that I don’t think the current recruitment strategy gives any manager the best opportunity. It’s not a case of the manager changing that, I think the club need to.

I’ve also never claimed to know anything either. The way I look at it is that he more than likely does have the final say. That doesn’t mean he actually wants all those players though. He can only have the final say on what is being presented to him. The majority of players we are interested in fit a certain profile and it’s no surprise that most of them have made a limited impact at best.

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 06:16 PM
I'm not clinging on to anything.

I'm pointing out that we've spent more money than in the club's history to bring in players. That's hard nosed, ponied up backing.

You're making up something that you have no idea about. "I have the final say". You aren't happy with that so ask, What does it look like? Jeez.

Fine. He's not being backed and will probably walk if he doesn't get exactly what he wants in January.

The points been explained to you numerous times by numerous different posters yet you refuse to acknowledge it. Everyone else has acknowledged your point regarding the money spent.

You think backing is based purely on spending money and having the final say despite not knowing what that actually means in the case of signing football players, others think there’s more to backing a manager than simply spending a bit of money.

So yes, ‘ponying up’ is backing to you. Others think there’s more to it than that when it comes to backing a manager.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 06:23 PM
The points been explained to you numerous times by numerous different posters yet you refuse to acknowledge it. Everyone else has acknowledged your point regarding the money spent.

You think backing is based purely on spending money and having the final say despite not knowing what that actually means in the case of signing football players, others think there’s more to backing a manager than simply spending a bit of money

The point has not been explained so there is nothing to acknowledge.

However, I'm interested in your second paragraph. If backing the manager is about more than giving him the money and the final say on players, what is it?

How come your lack of knowledge about what having the final say is somehow more weighty than mine? You've not got a clue but have chosen to imagine that it's something less than desirable.

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 06:25 PM
The point has not been explained so there is nothing to acknowledge.

However, I'm interested in your second paragraph. If backing the manager is about more than giving him the money and the final say on players, what is it?

How come your lack of knowledge about what having the final say is somehow more weighty than mine? You've not got a clue but have chosen to imagine that it's something less than desirable.

Ok. The point hasn’t been explained. I must have imagined the god knows how many posts from BHFC, Blackpoolhibs and myself explaining what they feel backing the manager is.

You talk about not having a clue yet you’ve repeatedly went on about the manager having the final say and how that equates to backing him whilst admitting you don’t have a clue what that looks like

He's here!
07-11-2022, 06:25 PM
How was our transition when we came up from the Championship under Lennon?

That's a fair point, although we were under different ownership then and the signing policy seemed very much more straightforward ie the vast majority of signings were first-team ready and Lennon had inherited a very strong squad from Stubbs, which proved good enough to beat several top flight sides while in the Championship. We were very much strong enough to hit the ground running when we got promotion.

Under the current regime it's a lot harder to work out how the signing policy will lead to on-field success.

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 06:26 PM
The point is fairly obvious is it not, that I don’t think the current recruitment strategy gives any manager the best opportunity. It’s not a case of the manager changing that, I think the club need to.

I’ve also never claimed to know anything either. The way I look at it is that he more than likely does have the final say. That doesn’t mean he actually wants all those players though. He can only have the final say on what is being presented to him. The majority of players we are interested in fit a certain profile and it’s no surprise that most of them have made a limited impact at best.

The point is very obvious.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 06:50 PM
Ok. The point hasn’t been explained. I must have imagined the god knows how many posts from BHFC, Blackpoolhibs and myself explaining what they feel backing the manager is.

You talk about not having a clue yet you’ve repeatedly went on about the manager having the final say and how that equates to backing him whilst admitting you don’t have a clue what that looks like

You've all said that you don't think he's been backed, but you've not said how he should have been backed.

LJ says that he has the final say.

McGeady says he was approached by LJ and signed because of him.

Lee Johnson said signing Tavares was a coup and he was surprised we managed to get him. He thanked Hibs for getting the deal done.

Kenneh says that LJ went out of his way to sell the club to him and it worked.

Cabraja was signed as a replacement for Doig and was obviously approved by the manager.

I don't know much about Miller but seemingly we beat off a number of teams to get him.

I assume Johnson was ok with us signing Martin Boyle.

Of the others, Youan is on loan as is Fish and Bojang. They're not costing much so if they don't work, no real harm done. Have I missed anyone?

Unless someone can show me otherwise, it does look like the manager is fully involved and is being backed.

Edit: I should say, you haven't a clue about the meaning of him having the final say either.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 06:58 PM
I missed Kuharevych and McKirdy.

I've no idea as to how involved or not LJ was in those signings.

J-C
07-11-2022, 07:07 PM
You've all said that you don't think he's been backed, but you've not said how he should have been backed.

LJ says that he has the final say.

McGeady says he was approached by LJ and signed because of him.

Lee Johnson said signing Tavares was a coup and he was surprised we managed to get him. He thanked Hibs for getting the deal done.

Kenneh says that LJ went out of his way to sell the club to him and it worked.

Cabraja was signed as a replacement for Doig and was obviously approved by the manager.

I don't know much about Miller but seemingly we beat off a number of teams to get him.

I assume Johnson was ok with us signing Martin Boyle.

Of the others, Youan is on loan as is Fish and Bojang. They're not costing much so if they don't work, no real harm done. Have I missed anyone?

Unless someone can show me otherwise, it does look like the manager is fully involved and is being backed.

Edit: I should say, you haven't a clue about the meaning of him having the final say either.

Backed with more experienced 1st team ready players. Yes we got Boyle back and that's great, McGeady is injury prone and so far been a waste of money, the rest are all speculative punts like Tavares, Bojang, Miller and even Youan to a degree. We have Magennis back but we're one injury away from struggling in midfield again due to lack of numbers there.

He'll have the last say but you can only go with what's been offered, Kuharevych, McKirdy and Fish we're all last day signings, which maybe means he had little to do with them.

WhileTheChief..
07-11-2022, 07:10 PM

Made it up? What you on about?

I simply said what I think would happen, not suggesting it’s fact or anything ffs. Chill.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 07:11 PM
Backed with more experienced 1st team ready players. Yes we got Boyle back and that's great, McGeady is injury prone and so far been a waste of money, the rest are all speculative punts like Tavares, Bojang, Miller and even Youan to a degree. We have Magennis back but we're one injury away from struggling in midfield again due to lack of numbers there.

LJ was desperate to sign Tavares. Bojang and Youan are short term loans, exactly what should happen with 'punts'.

Kuharevych has been a resounding success, Cabraja was definitely 1st team ready and we don't know much about McKirdy.

Unless LJ asked for more/different players, how can we say he's not been backed?

Eyrie
07-11-2022, 07:14 PM
I missed Kuharevych and McKirdy.

I've no idea as to how involved or not LJ was in those signings.

Johnson has mentioned that Kuharevych was someone we'd got through his contacts with the City group.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 07:14 PM

He'll have the last say but you can only go with what's been offered, Kuharevych, McKirdy and Fish we're all last day signings, which maybe means he had little to do with them.

Maybe, maybe not, but I doubt we signed McKirdy on a long term permanent deal without the managers aporoval and the other 2 are loans and won't cost much.

Edit: See Eyrie's post re Kuharevych.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 07:15 PM
Johnson has mentioned that Kuharevych was someone we'd got through his contacts with the City group.

Of course, thanks. Fully involved and backed then.

J-C
07-11-2022, 07:19 PM
LJ was desperate to sign Tavares. Bojang and Youan are short term loans, exactly what should happen with 'punts'.

Kuharevych has been a resounding success, Cabraja was definitely 1st team ready and we don't know much about McKirdy.

Unless LJ asked for more/different players, how can we say he's not been backed?

Again, no one is saying he wasn't backed, it was 1st team ready players he needed backed with and not a couple of loan punts and a young winger from Portugal who may or not come good. Cabreja was a replacement for Doig, so he was as expected. Kuharevych has been a success and as you said in the other post was known by LJ.

We have no real cover at RB for Cadden as we signed a young Aussie still adjusting to life over here, an injury or 2 in defence and we're relying in young Fish.

He's here!
07-11-2022, 07:31 PM

He will most certainly be under threat of losing his job if we finish 8th. In fact, based on Ron's record with managers so far I'd be surprised if he keeps his job if we fail to make the top 6.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 07:34 PM
Again, no one is saying he wasn't backed, it was 1st team ready players he needed backed with and not a couple of loan punts and a young winger from Portugal who may or not come good. Cabreja was a replacement for Doig, so he was as expected. Kuharevych has been a success and as you said in the other post was known by LJ.

We have no real cover at RB for Cadden as we signed a young Aussie still adjusting to life over here, an injury or 2 in defence and we're relying in young Fish.

He's had one transfer window.

He signed McGeady, Cabraja and Boyle along with the others. Kenneh is proving himself to be more than 1st team ready and Kuharevych is exactly what we've been needing.

We're going round in circles. I'm happy enough with the signings so far and the backing we've given the manager. I'm confident we'll get more in January so we can re-evaluate when that window closes. Fingers crossed.

The Modfather
07-11-2022, 07:48 PM
Is “was he backed” this seasons “what constitutes a big game”? 😀

matty_f
07-11-2022, 07:50 PM
Is “was he backed” this seasons “what constitutes a big game”? 😀

Ronniekirk
07-11-2022, 07:53 PM

And more importantly if he shows he can develop the player which he is with three goals in his last three games , thete will be other players he can persuade to come from that group Could be a win win situation in the short term as looks like these promising players would only be loans

Sir David Gray
07-11-2022, 09:00 PM

I'm not sure how accurate that first part is to be honest.

Here's the Hearts matchday squad from the weekend;

Gordon - Signed June 2020
Smith - Signed June 2017
Sibbick - Signed January 2022
Cochrane - Signed June 2021
Halliday - Signed September 2020
Devlin - Signed August 2021
Ginnelly - Signed September 2020
Grant - Signed June 2022
Snodgrass - Signed September 2022
McKay - Signed September 2021
Shankland - Signed July 2022
Atkinson - Signed January 2022
Clark - Signed September 2022
Forrest - Signed June 2022
Henderson - Signed May 2017
Kiomourtzoglu - Signed August 2022
Neilson - Signed June 2022
Pollock - Signed April 2021
Rowles - Signed June 2022
Smith - Signed May 2018

10 of their 20 matchday squad from yesterday signed during the course of the last 12 months.

Compare that to our matchday squad from the weekend;

Marshall - Signed May 2022
Hanlon - Signed January 2008
Bushiri - Signed January 2022
Porteous - Signed July 2017
Cabraja - Signed July 2022
Newell - Signed June 2019
Kenneh - Signed July 2022
Magennis - Signed October 2020
Cadden - Signed January 2021
Kukharevych - Signed September 2022
Henderson - Signed January 2022
Campbell - Signed July 2019
Dabrowksi - Signed June 2017
Fish - Signed September 2022
McGregor - Signed August 2015
Melkersen - Signed January 2022
Mitchell - Signed January 2022
Stevenson - Signed September 2005
Tavares - Signed June 2022
Youan - Signed June 2022

11 of our 20 matchday squad from Friday signed during the course of the last 12 months.

Not much of a difference at all really and certainly doesn't sound like they're that far ahead of us in terms of their plan that we should just be accepting the inevitability of them pulling ahead of us. Two years ago we finished 3rd so what's happened in that time that we should writing off 3rd place this season and allowed Hearts to get things so much better on the pitch compared with us?

Ozyhibby
07-11-2022, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure how accurate that first part is to be honest.

Here's the Hearts matchday squad from the weekend;

Gordon - Signed June 2020
Smith - Signed June 2017
Sibbick - Signed January 2022
Cochrane - Signed June 2021
Halliday - Signed September 2020
Devlin - Signed August 2021
Ginnelly - Signed September 2020
Grant - Signed June 2022
Snodgrass - Signed September 2022
McKay - Signed September 2021
Shankland - Signed July 2022
Atkinson - Signed January 2022
Clark - Signed September 2022
Forrest - Signed June 2022
Henderson - Signed May 2017
Kiomourtzoglu - Signed August 2022
Neilson - Signed June 2022
Pollock - Signed April 2021
Rowles - Signed June 2022
Smith - Signed May 2018

10 of their 20 matchday squad from yesterday signed during the course of the last 12 months.

Compare that to our matchday squad from the weekend;

Marshall - Signed May 2022
Hanlon - Signed January 2008
Bushiri - Signed January 2022
Porteous - Signed July 2017
Cabraja - Signed July 2022
Newell - Signed June 2019
Kenneh - Signed July 2022
Magennis - Signed October 2020
Cadden - Signed January 2021
Kukharevych - Signed September 2022
Henderson - Signed January 2022
Campbell - Signed July 2019
Dabrowksi - Signed June 2017
Fish - Signed September 2022
McGregor - Signed August 2015
Melkersen - Signed January 2022
Mitchell - Signed January 2022
Stevenson - Signed September 2005
Tavares - Signed June 2022
Youan - Signed June 2022

11 of our 20 matchday squad from Friday signed during the course of the last 12 months.

Not much of a difference at all really and certainly doesn't sound like they're that far ahead of us in terms of their plan that we should just be accepting the inevitability of them pulling ahead of us. Two years ago we finished 3rd so what's happened in that time that we should writing off 3rd place this season and allowed Hearts to get things so much better on the pitch compared with us?

My concern with that is that Hearts have been playing twice a week with a fair bit of travel thrown in and they are still ahead of us. Without Euro footy now, their injury problems will lessen and generally they will be fresher for their league games.

Scotty Leither
07-11-2022, 09:03 PM
I don’t get this argument about “no risk” signings like Bojang, Tavares or Youan or Miller.

There’s plenty of “risk” to our results in fielding players that are making little or zero impact. One quality proven player is worth more than 3-4 punts/ones for the future, of whom 2 or 3 them will likely be moved on in January.

A simplistic argument maybe, but we’ve seen the effects of constant player churn of personnel at Easter Road in the past; it’s an approach that doesn’t work, and the current manager seems to working under the same restrictions.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2022, 09:11 PM
I don’t get this argument about “no risk” signings like Bojang, Tavares or Youan or Miller.

There’s plenty of “risk” to our results in fielding players that are making little or zero impact. One quality proven player is worth more than 3-4 punts/ones for the future, of whom 2 or 3 them will likely be moved on in January.

A simplistic argument maybe, but we’ve seen the effects of constant player churn of personnel at Easter Road in the past; it’s an approach that doesn’t work, and the current manager seems to working under the same restrictions.

What restrictions?

Scotty Leither
07-11-2022, 09:18 PM
What restrictions?

I was referring to the points made about the backing of the manager earlier in the thread. He’s being “backed” but it’s the profile and pedigree of the players he’s being allowed to bring in that are the limiting or restrictive factors for me.

He’s also mentioned wanting “first-team ready” players in the door, which I took to be a bit of frustration from the guy himself.

That’s just my take on it.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 07:56 AM
I was referring to the points made about the backing of the manager earlier in the thread. He’s being “backed” but it’s the profile and pedigree of the players he’s being allowed to bring in that are the limiting or restrictive factors for me.

He’s also mentioned wanting “first-team ready” players in the door, which I took to be a bit of frustration from the guy himself.

That’s just my take on it.

I mentioned earlier that I could remember LJ coming across really frustrated in the summer with our signings but couldn’t remember the specific reason for it. This was it.

And really, it’s the exact same reason a lot of us don’t feel like the backing he’s had has been adequate.

The ‘punts’ like Kenneh, Tavares, McKirdy, Youan etc should be in addition to first team ready signings. Instead they’ve made up about half the players we’ve signed.

Since452
08-11-2022, 08:33 AM
I mentioned earlier that I could remember LJ coming across really frustrated in the summer with our signings but couldn’t remember the specific reason for it. This was it.

And really, it’s the exact same reason a lot of us don’t feel like the backing he’s had has been adequate.

The ‘punts’ like Kenneh, Tavares, McKirdy, Youan etc should be in addition to first team ready signings. Instead they’ve made up about half the players we’ve signed.

I think the board were conscious of the pathetic backing the 'then' manager got in the summer of 2021 and were keen not to have a repeat this summer. I think if anything we signed too many players and the quality was spread too thin. Possibly went too far the other way. I don't think it was a disaster, far from it but there are players signed that just aren't going to cut it imo.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 08:38 AM

Kenneh, Tavares and McKirdy are not "punts". They're here on permanent contracts.

Tavares and Kenneh were wanted by Johnson so, if he was frustrated at all, it wasn't because of them.

Youan, Bojang and Fish are loans.

MWHIBBIES
08-11-2022, 08:40 AM

Punts like these 4 guys who clearly aren't punts.

Bojang and McClelland are probably punts, no one else.

Trinity Hibee
08-11-2022, 08:45 AM
Kenneh, Tavares and McKirdy are not "punts". They're here on permanent contracts.

Tavares and Kenneh were wanted by Johnson so, if he was frustrated at all, it wasn't because of them.

But Tavares is a punt. He hadn’t played for benfica first team and since he’s got here he’s hardly played so it suggests that’s the profile of player Johnson has been told to look for. It’s probably too early to say either way on McKirdy as he doesn’t appear to be match fit from what I’ve seen of him.

Players like Boyle and Marshall are the ones who come straight in to a first team and improve the first 11. We need a similar calibre to come in at CB and CM either in January or next summer at the very latest.

Fish look composed when he came on v St Mirren so would like to see more of him.

Trinity Hibee
08-11-2022, 08:47 AM
Punts like these 4 guys who clearly aren't punts.

Bojang and McClelland are probably punts, no one else.

Tavares absolutely is a punt. We’ve gambled on him and to be honest I think he’ll be gone by end of the season latest.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2022, 08:51 AM

I'd imagine he knew exactly what he was going into, i'd also imagine certain managers would not accept these conditions.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 08:53 AM
But Tavares is a punt. He hadn’t played for benfica first team and since he’s got here he’s hardly played so it suggests that’s the profile of player Johnson has been told to look for. It’s probably too early to say either way on McKirdy as he doesn’t appear to be match fit from what I’ve seen of him.

Players like Boyle and Marshall are the ones who come straight in to a first team and improve the first 11. We need a similar calibre to come in at CB and CM either in January or next summer at the very latest.

Fish look composed when he came on v St Mirren so would like to see more of him.

If Tavares is a 'punt' he's Johnson's punt. He was delighted that we got him and thought we had no chance of doing so. He specifically thanked Hibs for making it happen.

Now you may think that the player isn't good enough, and I understand that point of view, but that's a different matter to whether or not the manager is being fully backed.

Johnson wanted the player and Hibs got him. Should Hibs have said no, we'll back you a different, better way?

Trinity Hibee
08-11-2022, 08:57 AM
If Tavares is a 'punt' he's Johnson's punt. He was delighted that we got him and thought we had no chance of doing so. He specifically thanked Hibs for making it happen.

Now you may think that the player isn't good enough, and I understand that point of view, but that's a different matter to whether or not the manager is being fully backed.

Johnson wanted the player and Hibs got him. Should Hibs have said no, we'll back you a different, better way?

Fair enough, so are we saying the manager is underestimating the Scottish premiership and the quality needed to get 3rd. He wouldn’t be the first to come from outside Scotland and find its harder than it looks

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 08:57 AM

Guys who haven’t played first team football are punts. I couldn’t care less whether they’re on permanent contracts, that doesn’t mean they’re not a punt.

McKirdy is 25 and had one good season at a level well below ours having largely been absolutely crap in League 2 his whole career before that. That’s a punt.

Miller has never played at anything like our level of football. We’ve took a punt on him.

Johnson wanted first team ready players. Guys that haven’t played football at anywhere near this level or in some cases at all aren’t first team ready players for Hibs.

BoomtownHibees
08-11-2022, 08:58 AM

Have you got a link to where LJ says he wanted the player? He definitely comes across as happy with the signing on the official site however Ian Gordon also said:

“He’s a player we’ve monitored closely for a period of time” so not sure if he was a specific target of LJ or not

Northernhibee
08-11-2022, 09:00 AM
I could be wrong but I’m sure I read that Tavares was on our radar when Maloney was here.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 09:00 AM
Fair enough, so are we saying the manager is underestimating the Scottish premiership and the quality needed to get 3rd. He wouldn’t be the first to come from outside Scotland and find its harder than it looks

I doubt very much that he's underestimated our league given that he's played for 2 teams in it.

He may have overestimated the talents of Tavares, but we don't really know about that yet.

Maybe we'd be better leaving all the recruitment to Ian Gordon and co...

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 09:01 AM
Guys who haven’t played first team football are punts. I couldn’t care less whether they’re on permanent contracts, that doesn’t mean they’re not a punt.

McKirdy is 25 and had one good season at a level well below ours having largely been absolutely crap in League 2 his whole career before that. That’s a punt.

That's your definition. Now I understand.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 09:02 AM
That's your definition. Now I understand.

:faf:

I forgot your definition is the one that matters. Now I understand.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2022, 09:02 AM
I doubt very much that he's underestimated our league given that he's played for 2 teams in it.

He may have overestimated the talents of Tavares, but we don't really know about that yet.

Maybe we'd be better leaving all the recruitment to Ian Gordon and co...

I'd say he underestimated Falkirk and overestimated Bonnyrigg with his team selections.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 09:05 AM
I'd say he underestimated Falkirk and overestimated Bonnyrigg with his team selections.

He absolutely underestimated Falkirk. Absolutely everyone on this website could have told you that was the game to play the strongest team out of that group. Before the game people had called that we could struggle when we seen the team.

That’s not to say there was some sinister, over inflated opinion of himself that lead to him doing it, he simply underestimated them. There’s no doubt he did though imo and I’d expect he’d admit that himself.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 09:06 AM
Have you got a link to where LJ says he wanted the player? He definitely comes across as happy with the signing on the official site however Ian Gordon also said:

“He’s a player we’ve monitored closely for a period of time” so not sure if he was a specific target of LJ or not

I'm sure you can work Google as well as me but here's the first link I just found which says Tavares has been on Johnson's radar for 2 and a half years. The rest of the stuff is easy enough to find although his comments about being amazed that we got him may have been made to someone in Portugal.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/hibs-boss-lee-johnson-urges-24275376

BoomtownHibees
08-11-2022, 09:08 AM
I'm sure you can work Google as well as me but here's the first link I just found which says Tavares has been on Johnson's radar for 2 and a half years. The rest of the stuff is easy enough to find although his comments about being amazed that we got him may have been made to someone in Portugal.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/hibs-boss-lee-johnson-urges-24275376

No need to be arsey about it but thanks for the link

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 09:09 AM
He absolutely underestimated Falkirk. Absolutely everyone on this website could have told you that was the game to play the strongest team out of that group. Before the game people had called that we could struggle when we seen the team.

That’s not to say there was some sinister, over inflated opinion of himself that lead to him doing it, he simply underestimated them. There’s no doubt he did though imo.

We're now moving from criticism of the club's supposed lack of backing to criticism of the manager himself.

I can't disagree. The league cup games were a huge mistake and disappointment. I hope he's learnt from them.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 09:10 AM

I wasn't being arsey.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 09:11 AM
We're now moving from criticism of the club's supposed lack of backing to criticism of the manager himself.

I can't disagree. The league cup games were a huge mistake and disappointment. I hope he's learnt from them.

The two are completely separate points.

Since452
08-11-2022, 09:20 AM

There's absolutely no way he's underestimated it imo. I don't think any manager worth their salt would underestimate a top flight professional football league. If they did then they shouldn't be managing. Football is a small world especially in the UK. Managing the likes of Hibs, Hearts or Aberdeen are huge jobs with huge pressure and expectations so nobody would go in to them underestimating the task especially someone who has played in the league before.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 09:32 AM
The two are completely separate points.

Indeed.

Lago
08-11-2022, 10:34 AM
Your off on a tangent, different argument

Lago
08-11-2022, 10:37 AM
You did kind of ask for it :agree:

Northernhibee
08-11-2022, 10:51 AM
I don’t think that outwith the top three last season could have described their season as anything other than “streaky”. Dundee United were terrible for a large part of the season’s and finished 4th. Motherwell sacked their manager before the league season started but were 5th.

The standard in the league outwith the top two is closer than ever before. It likely means that if like against Aberdeen you have two teams strong at home but less so away then they may trade a trouncing or two through the season.

We weren’t streaky last year, just consistently bad, and I’m happy that the manager has improved us.

The next step is to be stronger away from home.

Steve Austin
08-11-2022, 08:36 PM
I don’t think that outwith the top three last season could have described their season as anything other than “streaky”. Dundee United were terrible for a large part of the season’s and finished 4th. Motherwell sacked their manager before the league season started but were 5th.

The standard in the league outwith the top two is closer than ever before. It likely means that if like against Aberdeen you have two teams strong at home but less so away then they may trade a trouncing or two through the season.

We weren’t streaky last year, just consistently bad, and I’m happy that the manager has improved us.

The next step is to be stronger away from home.

:confused::confused:
Some of our performances have been more mr Jekyll than Hyde!!..
mind you some of these players “Hide”!!!
Streaky Lee as I said and all his other clubs ,,
We are nowhere near where or what we should be on the pitch yet we change managers and players still same soft underbelly and mentality.,,
we need a manager who actually will kick some butt .,,,,:aok::agree: