PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 04 11 22)

Jonnyboy
04-11-2022, 10:48 PM
I hear that Lee Johnson is angry and frustrated after watching Hibs lose 4-1 at Pittodrie and I have to say I share those feelings, big time. It seems odd to say this, but I thought our general play was pretty good, but we were scuppered following a dodgy penalty decision and three horrendous goals that can be put down to poor individual errors. I realise that sounds something similar to words used by Robbie Neilson following another Hearts cuffing in Europe, but I think I’ve got a valid point whereas he clearly didn’t!

As anticipated, there was no sign of Martin Boyle, rested rather than take a chance with him following the knock he sustained against St. Mirren last week. That brought about one change to the starting eleven with Kyle Magennis free from suspension to take a place in midfield. Prior to kick off, I was a bit concerned that we were not going for a 3-5-2 again with Kuharevich the only recognised striker to start. Of course, it would be expected that one of either Ewan Henderson or Kyle Magennis would play high up in support of Myko, but I thought our lack of a proper two man attack was the wrong choice and I’d have brought Melkersen in rather than Magennis. As it was, Myko was often ploughing a lone furrow up front against three Dons at the back.

Both sides started brightly enough and the first real attempt at goal came from Joe Newell who fired wide. A couple of minutes later, Newell again had a pop but with a similar outcome before, moments later, Cadden blazed an effort over the bar. For me, Hibs were dictating the play at this point and the constant inter changing of our midfield players seemed to have the effect of stopping the Dons from building anything of note. On the quarter hour, a Cadden cross was met by Kuharevich, but he could only head the ball wide. As that cross was in the air, Porteous took a tumble in the box but there was never a foul on him.

Aberdeen were struggling to make David Marshall do any meaningful work whilst at the other end, Henderson forced a save from Roos when he headed the ball at goal from another Cadden cross. Approaching the half hour mark there was a bit of action in each goalmouth when Magennis brought out a save from Roos whilst Coulson saw an effort blocked before the ball could reach Marshall. A foul on Henderson gave Kuharevich a chance to fire in a free kick but his effort cleared the bar. Following a Hibs corner there was a real scare when the Dons broke at speed and Miovski fed Duk in the box. Duk flicked the ball over the diving Marshall, but Cabraja had gotten back to clear the ball before it crossed the line. My frustration was kicking in big style by now as we were basically dominating the hosts but failing to capitalise on that dominance.

In the first minute of added time my frustration was replaced by anger when Duk went over in the box under challenge from Marshall. The ref didn’t award a penalty and raised his arm to indicate the Dons man had been offside. VAR was then brought into play to examine the move leading to the incident in which Duk went to ground. For a good three/four minutes, the VAR official studied the footage and eventually invited the ref to review the incident on the pitchside monitor. After that review the ref awarded a penalty, even though it was clear the Marshall had withdrawn his arms to avoid bringing the striker down. Miovski took the penalty and Marshall saved it but because he had come off his line the kick had to be taken again and this time Miovski scored. No doubt Jim Goodwin would be mumbling ‘karma’ as he sat just behind the home bench – a farce in itself given his supposed ban.

I hoped that the setback would spur Hibs on but around ten minutes into the half, Aberdeen scored again. Clarkson swung in a corner and Miovski, who had left his marker Joe Newell for dead, had all the time in the world to head the ball past Marshall. The task at hand just got a lot harder and though Hibs pushed forward looking to reduce the arrears they were stung again on the hour mark when shocking defending of a corner saw the ball fall to Ramadani, around eighteen yards out. Cadden was closest but made no real effort to block the strike at goal as the ball flew through a host of bodies and into the net behind a bemused David Marshall. Not long after that, Melkersen replaced Henderson and finally we had two strikers on the park.

Five minutes after conceding the third goal, Hibs pulled one back that had initially been ruled out for offside. I thought he was off and to be fair I reckon he thought he was too, but a VAR review showed he was onside thanks to a deep lying Aberdeen defender out on their right. Hibs had something to aim for now, but Aberdeen simply defended deep and denied Hibs any room near their penalty area. Any thoughts of a fightback disappeared around ten minutes from time when slack play in the midfield area allowed the hosts to break free on the right. A low diagonal cross flew across the six yards box and inexplicably, Porteous let the ball run beyond him to a waiting Dons player who rolled the ball back in and Leighton Clarkson, with his back to goal, had the presence of mind to back heel the ball into the Hibs net.

Hibs huffed and puffed from then until the final whistle and never looked like scoring again.

For me, this was a bitter pill to swallow as this was never a 4-1 defeat on the basis of the abilities of both sets of players. Aberdeen are poor, especially at the back but what does that make us?

The players

Marshall – Conned for the penalty and probably didn’t stand a chance for any of the other goals.

Porteous – Booed from start to finish by the home fans, understandably given those fans had bought into the Jim Goodwin fairy tale about Ryan. Not the reason for what I thought was a below par performance by him, certainly in the second half.

Bushiri – We lost four goals but Rocky was not to blame for any of them in my opinion. He was the only bright spark for me and gets my man of the match award.

Hanlon – Like Ryan, he was below his best in the second half. I thought he should have been marking Miovski for that second goal rather than Newell who had his head in his hands as he realised, he’d cocked up.

Cadden – Had a fine first half, providing numerous inviting crosses into an Aberdeen penalty area that contained only one Hibs striker. Struggled in the second but then again, who didn’t?

Magennis – I know he’s just back after a long absence, but I expected more from him. I’m struggling to remember him up in support of Myko many times in the game.

Kenneh – Had a decent enough game and anchored the midfield allowing others to get about the park – only in the first half mind you.

Newell – Always in or around the ball he didn’t really manage to offer any great contribution. I was, however, happy to see him having a few pops at goal, even if they were mainly wide of the target.

Cabraja – His lung bursting run to get back to clear a ball that was net bound is worthy of mention.

Henderson – Made a few good runs and a couple of fine passes in the first half but ran out of steam in the second.

Kuharevich – Works his socks off but got zero support. I’m glad his goal counted as he must have been thinking he was cursed with a couple of offside efforts in previous games.

Melkersen – At last some support for Myko, Elias was in and around the ball when it fell to his strike partner for the goal.

Campbell – Replaced Magennis but didn’t do anything of real note for his time on the park.

Stevenson – The damage was done before Lewis arrived.

Youan – Still doesn’t lift his head often enough for me.

Lee Johnson – I hope he gets to bring in a couple of new faces in January, but they must be first team ready.

Referee – David Munro was whistle happy at times as well as sometimes forgetting what the advantage rule is. Biggest beef from me surrounds the penalty.

BILLYHIBS
05-11-2022, 06:26 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Too many players off it second half

Soft as putty just seemed to give up

Hibs should consider a complaint to the SFA re Goodwin as he could clearly be seen passing on instructions from his seat behind the dugout

What was the 4th Official thinking ?

If anything it will wind them up

Tarrahib
05-11-2022, 06:56 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Too many players off it second half

Soft as putty just seemed to give up

Hibs should consider a complaint to the SFA re Goodwin as he could clearly be seen passing on instructions from his seat behind the dugout

What was the 4th Official thinking ?

If anything it will wind them up
Have to agree with you regarding the 4th official taking no action about Goodwin’s seating arrangement.
Good accurate post Jonnyboy

Sir David Gray
05-11-2022, 06:59 AM
Have to agree with you regarding the the 4th official taking no action about Goodwin’s seating arrangement.
Good accurate post Jonnyboy

Someone else posted this on another thread, it would seem like no rules were broken by Goodwin last night;

11.2.2 During a suspension, a player or member of Team Staff is excluded from the Playing Zone at any match played under the jurisdiction of the ScottishFA until the expiry of the suspension. The “Playing Zone” is the area used by players and Team Staff at a match and shall extend to both teams’ dressingrooms, the match officials’ dressing rooms, the players’ tunnel to the pitch, any corridors leading to and/or connecting the said rooms and the players’tunnel to the pitch, the technical areas and substitutes’ benches, the track, the playing surface and any area within 2 metres of any part of the touch lineor goal line of the playing surface. The exclusion shall apply from 75 minutes prior to the scheduled time of kick-off of a match until 15 minutes followingthe referee having signalled the end of the match. For the avoidance of doubt, the exclusion continues to apply during extra time and/or kicks from thepenalty mark when required in any match. For the avoidance of doubt, reference is made to Annex D, Paragraph 7.2.

JammyDoidger
05-11-2022, 07:26 AM
Frustrating. Feels like genuienly only Hibs could lose that 4-1. We get into good areas, and it just breaks down every time. Don't know what we can do to fix it tbh. Something just isn't clicking. Defending for the goals is amateur at best though, just throwing games away. Poor.

EVENTUALLY
05-11-2022, 08:49 AM
I hear that Lee Johnson is angry and frustrated after watching Hibs lose 4-1 at Pittodrie and I have to say I share those feelings, big time. It seems odd to say this, but I thought our general play was pretty good, but we were scuppered following a dodgy penalty decision and three horrendous goals that can be put down to poor individual errors. I realise that sounds something similar to words used by Robbie Neilson following another Hearts cuffing in Europe, but I think I’ve got a valid point whereas he clearly didn’t!

As anticipated, there was no sign of Martin Boyle, rested rather than take a chance with him following the knock he sustained against St. Mirren last week. That brought about one change to the starting eleven with Kyle Magennis free from suspension to take a place in midfield. Prior to kick off, I was a bit concerned that we were not going for a 3-5-2 again with Kuharevich the only recognised striker to start. Of course, it would be expected that one of either Ewan Henderson or Kyle Magennis would play high up in support of Myko, but I thought our lack of a proper two man attack was the wrong choice and I’d have brought Melkersen in rather than Magennis. As it was, Myko was often ploughing a lone furrow up front against three Dons at the back.

Both sides started brightly enough and the first real attempt at goal came from Joe Newell who fired wide. A couple of minutes later, Newell again had a pop but with a similar outcome before, moments later, Cadden blazed an effort over the bar. For me, Hibs were dictating the play at this point and the constant inter changing of our midfield players seemed to have the effect of stopping the Dons from building anything of note. On the quarter hour, a Cadden cross was met by Kuharevich, but he could only head the ball wide. As that cross was in the air, Porteous took a tumble in the box but there was never a foul on him.

Aberdeen were struggling to make David Marshall do any meaningful work whilst at the other end, Henderson forced a save from Roos when he headed the ball at goal from another Cadden cross. Approaching the half hour mark there was a bit of action in each goalmouth when Magennis brought out a save from Roos whilst Coulson saw an effort blocked before the ball could reach Marshall. A foul on Henderson gave Kuharevich a chance to fire in a free kick but his effort cleared the bar. Following a Hibs corner there was a real scare when the Dons broke at speed and Miovski fed Duk in the box. Duk flicked the ball over the diving Marshall, but Cabraja had gotten back to clear the ball before it crossed the line. My frustration was kicking in big style by now as we were basically dominating the hosts but failing to capitalise on that dominance.

In the first minute of added time my frustration was replaced by anger when Duk went over in the box under challenge from Marshall. The ref didn’t award a penalty and raised his arm to indicate the Dons man had been offside. VAR was then brought into play to examine the move leading to the incident in which Duk went to ground. For a good three/four minutes, the VAR official studied the footage and eventually invited the ref to review the incident on the pitchside monitor. After that review the ref awarded a penalty, even though it was clear the Marshall had withdrawn his arms to avoid bringing the striker down. Miovski took the penalty and Marshall saved it but because he had come off his line the kick had to be taken again and this time Miovski scored. No doubt Jim Goodwin would be mumbling ‘karma’ as he sat just behind the home bench – a farce in itself given his supposed ban.

I hoped that the setback would spur Hibs on but around ten minutes into the half, Aberdeen scored again. Clarkson swung in a corner and Miovski, who had left his marker Joe Newell for dead, had all the time in the world to head the ball past Marshall. The task at hand just got a lot harder and though Hibs pushed forward looking to reduce the arrears they were stung again on the hour mark when shocking defending of a corner saw the ball fall to Ramadani, around eighteen yards out. Cadden was closest but made no real effort to block the strike at goal as the ball flew through a host of bodies and into the net behind a bemused David Marshall. Not long after that, Melkersen replaced Henderson and finally we had two strikers on the park.

Five minutes after conceding the third goal, Hibs pulled one back that had initially been ruled out for offside. I thought he was off and to be fair I reckon he thought he was too, but a VAR review showed he was onside thanks to a deep lying Aberdeen defender out on their right. Hibs had something to aim for now, but Aberdeen simply defended deep and denied Hibs any room near their penalty area. Any thoughts of a fightback disappeared around ten minutes from time when slack play in the midfield area allowed the hosts to break free on the right. A low diagonal cross flew across the six yards box and inexplicably, Porteous let the ball run beyond him to a waiting Dons player who rolled the ball back in and Leighton Clarkson, with his back to goal, had the presence of mind to back heel the ball into the Hibs net.

Hibs huffed and puffed from then until the final whistle and never looked like scoring again.

For me, this was a bitter pill to swallow as this was never a 4-1 defeat on the basis of the abilities of both sets of players. Aberdeen are poor, especially at the back but what does that make us?

The players

Marshall – Conned for the penalty and probably didn’t stand a chance for any of the other goals.

Porteous – Booed from start to finish by the home fans, understandably given those fans had bought into the Jim Goodwin fairy tale about Ryan. Not the reason for what I thought was a below par performance by him, certainly in the second half.

Bushiri – We lost four goals but Rocky was not to blame for any of them in my opinion. He was the only bright spark for me and gets my man of the match award.

Hanlon – Like Ryan, he was below his best in the second half. I thought he should have been marking Miovski for that second goal rather than Newell who had his head in his hands as he realised, he’d cocked up.

Cadden – Had a fine first half, providing numerous inviting crosses into an Aberdeen penalty area that contained only one Hibs striker. Struggled in the second but then again, who didn’t?

Magennis – I know he’s just back after a long absence, but I expected more from him. I’m struggling to remember him up in support of Myko many times in the game.

Kenneh – Had a decent enough game and anchored the midfield allowing others to get about the park – only in the first half mind you.

Newell – Always in or around the ball he didn’t really manage to offer any great contribution. I was, however, happy to see him having a few pops at goal, even if they were mainly wide of the target.

Cabraja – His lung bursting run to get back to clear a ball that was net bound is worthy of mention.

Henderson – Made a few good runs and a couple of fine passes in the first half but ran out of steam in the second.

Kuharevich – Works his socks off but got zero support. I’m glad his goal counted as he must have been thinking he was cursed with a couple of offside efforts in previous games.

Melkersen – At last some support for Myko, Elias was in and around the ball when it fell to his strike partner for the goal.

Campbell – Replaced Magennis but didn’t do anything of real note for his time on the park.

Stevenson – The damage was done before Lewis arrived.

Youan – Still doesn’t lift his head often enough for me.

Lee Johnson – I hope he gets to bring in a couple of new faces in January, but they must be first team ready.

Referee – David Munro was whistle happy at times as well as sometimes forgetting what the advantage rule is. Biggest beef from me surrounds the penalty.

I thought Rocky was Hibs best player, however he simply walked off Duk in the last stage of the Aberdeen attack to allow the forward to run in on Marshall unchallenged and in the buildup to the 4th goal his muddled footwork allowed a low ball into the box which should have been easily cut out. He has improved 10 fold since last season but there remains a lot of scope for raising his defensive awareness and his ball playing beyond left and right square passes.

The blame for the defeat lies with the VAR officials and Joe Newell as the 2nd goal was entirely avoidable if he had stuck to his man. Thought Newell was very poor overall, inaccurate shooting and his longer range of passes never found a Hibs man once.