PDA

View Full Version : Soft

Hibees1973
04-11-2022, 09:13 PM
This Hibs squad is soft. We know it, everyone knows it.

The prime examples this season are the games against St Johnsone two weeks ago and now tonight against Aberdeen. There are other games this season when we should have dug out more points but these are the two that stick out in my mind. We do have decent technical ability in the squad, probably the best outside the top two, but this counts for nothing if the mentality is weak. Having a weak mentality will eventually tell, particularly when the league is as tight as it is. We are being found out and will probably finish in the bottom six if players of stronger means are not brought in.

We were comfortable against St Johnstone until Magennis got sent off. Sitting in the East stand that night after Magennis was sent off I watched a complete capitulation. Decent sides would have shown some fortitude and organisation to hold on, even for a point, but this team collapsed. Johnson couldn't do anything to prevent it and we had no leaders on the park to grind out a result.

Tonight was embarrassing. Any sympathy I had for the team for that ridiculous penalty decision was lost with that second half performance. There was no organisation and some players lost all focus. It's all fine having possession like we had in the first half tonight, but if there is no killer instinct in the opposition box and you have a fragile defence the result will be failure at the end of the season.

Huge two games coming up.

Fair bit of work to be done in the next transfer window.

Mcbizz1998
04-11-2022, 09:15 PM
When haven’t we been soft? Same story for the 20 odd years I’ve been following Hibs.

B.H.F.C
04-11-2022, 09:15 PM
We don’t react to a setback.

Tonight was criminal. Too many that are good when it’s going well and go missing when it’s not.

A Hi-Bee
04-11-2022, 09:30 PM

The prime examples this season are the games against St Johnsone two weeks ago and now tonight against Aberdeen. There are other games this season when we should have dug out more points but these are the two that stick out in my mind. We do have decent technical ability in the squad, probably the best outside the top two, but this counts for nothing if the mentality is weak. Having a weak mentality will eventually tell, particularly when the league is as tight as it is. We are being found out and will probably finish in the bottom six if players of stronger means are not brought in.

We were comfortable against St Johnstone until Magennis got sent off. Sitting in the East stand that night after Magennis was sent off I watched a complete capitulation. Decent sides would have shown some fortitude and organisation to hold on, even for a point, but this team collapsed. Johnson couldn't do anything to prevent it and we had no leaders on the park to grind out a result.

Tonight was embarrassing. Any sympathy I had for the team for that ridiculous penalty decision was lost with that second half performance. There was no organisation and some players lost all focus. It's all fine having possession like we had in the first half tonight, but if there is no killer instinct in the opposition box and you have a fragile defence the result will be failure at the end of the season.

Bring back Neil Lennon, we was not so soft then was we?
:greengrin

Zambernardi1875
04-11-2022, 09:38 PM

yeah but he was abit shouty and demanded too much

A Hi-Bee
04-11-2022, 09:41 PM
yeah but he was abit shouty and demanded too much

:aok::greengrin

penihibs
04-11-2022, 09:43 PM

Good shout buddy.

Carheenlea
04-11-2022, 09:58 PM
At half time you could see the anger among some groups fans as they viewed footage of the disgraceful penalty award on their phones. I expected the team to have come out all guns blazing after such an injustice but we just petered out limply and conceding soft goals.

Hibeesforever
04-11-2022, 10:02 PM
At half time you could see the anger among some groups fans as they viewed footage of the disgraceful penalty award on their phones. I expected the team to have come out all guns blazing after such an injustice but we just petered out limply and conceding soft goals.

Thats the pathetic thing about tonight...club messed up not playing Boyle.

timewilltell
04-11-2022, 10:04 PM
Hibs have been too soft for almost all the 40 plus years I've supported them.

tamig
04-11-2022, 10:07 PM
Thats the pathetic thing about tonight...club messed up not playing Boyle.

Boyle wasn’t fit enough to play.

supermcginn
04-11-2022, 10:12 PM
The same centre back who has played week in week out for the last 13 years is the softest of the lot.

Hibeesforever
04-11-2022, 10:13 PM
Boyle wasn’t fit enough to play.

I don't buy that.....

Tambo
04-11-2022, 10:16 PM
Defending ain't been great recently I would agree but putting the ball in the net has killed us this season.

Looked like another first 45 which I'm sure ended 3 on target and 7 off target but I could be corrected.

With Dundee United away and St Johnstone at home we really should of been comfortable in 3rd place.

I'm confident of the 3 points Tuesday and we really need to end the break with 6 points.

supermcginn
04-11-2022, 10:18 PM
I don't buy that.....

I don't either

A Hi-Bee
04-11-2022, 10:18 PM
I don't buy that.....

Yes, I think it is just another conspiracy by them dodgy Kangaroo eating Aussie's, nothing wrong with him, he was seen running around Manchester no problem.
:aok:

supermcginn
04-11-2022, 10:19 PM
Yes, I think it is just another conspiracy by them dodgy Kangaroo eating Aussie's, nothing wrong with him, he was seen running around Manchester no problem.

He trained yesterday. He either said he didn't want to play or Something else happened ..

tamig
04-11-2022, 10:20 PM
I don't buy that.....

LJ said his injury was in his knee joint. It was being managed carefully. He was hoping Boyle could be available for a game before the break. He said he’s probably 50/50 for Tuesday but was questioning if the Killie pitch would be the right surface for him to come back on if he wasn’t available until next weekend. He did say there were no concerns about him missing the World Cup - assuming he is selected. Sounds plausible to me. You reckon he’s telling porkies?

A Hi-Bee
04-11-2022, 10:24 PM
He trained yesterday. He either said he didn't want to play or Something else happened ..

Will we ever really know the truth, I will stick with the conspiracy theory.

easty
04-11-2022, 10:30 PM

You are aware that players can take part in training but also not be fit for a match?

Onion
04-11-2022, 10:52 PM
When haven’t we been soft? Same story for the 20 odd years I’ve been following Hibs.

You're young. Apart from on rare, memorable times - Turnbull's T, MacLeish/Sauzee, Mowbray's Golden Gen, a fleeting moment at Hampdump May 2016, and part of Lennon's tenure - Hibs have been a soft touch for 50+years.

Home truth ... if Hibs players had fortitude, desire, drive, ambition, belief needed to complete the job or live up to expectations ... they would not be long at Hibs. Most of the players are at Hibs simply BECAUSE they LACK many of these attributes. This current team is no different to the many, many that have gone before.

supermcginn
04-11-2022, 11:03 PM
You are aware that players can take part in training but also not be fit for a match?

Really? Thanks for letting me know. It seems they can also refuse to play if a world cup is two weeks away! 7 grand a week not bad for some.

beensaidbefore
04-11-2022, 11:06 PM

If we were more clinical we would have had the game sewn up by half time

One Day Soon
04-11-2022, 11:29 PM
If we were more clinical we would have had the game sewn up by half time

Mmm, we’re in ‘If my auntie had baws’ territory here. Again.

Criswell
05-11-2022, 12:30 AM
You're young. Apart from on rare, memorable times - Turnbull's T, MacLeish/Sauzee, Mowbray's Golden Gen, a fleeting moment at Hampdump May 2016, and part of Lennon's tenure - Hibs have been a soft touch for 50+years.

Home truth ... if Hibs players had fortitude, desire, drive, ambition, belief needed to complete the job or live up to expectations ... they would not be long at Hibs. Most of the players are at Hibs simply BECAUSE they LACK many of these attributes. This current team is no different to the many, many that have gone before.

Totally agree with these sentiments. We've tried umpteen managers in the the past and it never seems to ever change. The whole club from top to bottom needs to be much more professional in its outlook.

Stokesy's on fire
05-11-2022, 12:34 AM

Under stubbs and Lennon hibs were far from soft

Whelahan62
05-11-2022, 12:42 AM
Hanlon, Newell and Porteous are the reason why our team has not progressed over the last 18months.Hanlon is soft, Porteous has not eliminated the basic errors he makes every week....let him go...... and god forbid, why do we persist with Newell?????? When we go behind and need some spirit...where is he?

I will imagine that my Newell observations will be challenged, and he will be defended on here I am sure, but please state why? He is the common dominator of the midfield being over-run/ bullied/ bypassed and has sat in that midfield for two years and contributed to **** all positive in the advancement of the teams cycle.

Lots of great things going on at the club but persisting with at best, bang average English league one level midfielders wont even allow us to acheive 3rd this season.

Heisenberg
05-11-2022, 04:26 AM

Lennon took us to a 4-1 pumping at Pittodrie along with numerous other soft as **** collapses during his tenure. Stubbs’ side were the same. You’ll struggle to find a Hibs team in a very long time that haven’t had shocking results like last night. We aren’t a big enough club to avoid it.

Since452
05-11-2022, 05:55 AM
I agree with the OP. We can't deal with adversity. Capitulation against St Johnstone and now Aberdeen. We were so far ahead in both games it was frightening until the big moments. Sorry but it appears we have a weak mentality. So frustrating as at times we look a very, very good side.

Pretty Boy
05-11-2022, 06:30 AM
We don't seem to react well to adversity but if we didn't need about 5000 chances to score 1 goal then it wouldn't matter.

We should have been out of sight before Aberdeen scored last night. A penalty before HT then some schoolboy defending not long after and a side that are pretty clinical at home are on easy Street.

I predicted 6-9th for us after the LC games and that's still what I feel in my gut. There's no doubt there is an attempt to play the right way now and there has been an improvement. It's nowhere near as transformative as some want to believe though and the number of defeats we have witnessed already this season is proof of that.

OldEast
05-11-2022, 06:31 AM

What's the answer though. Different manager? How many do we try? Different recruitment policy? Without agreeing at all I have some sympathy with those calling for Lennon. He'd get a bounce no doubt until he ultimately clashed heads with Kensell and Gordon. No, we must stick with Lee Johnson and hope somehow that the Gordons realise that their policy of buy to sell for profit isn't the only game in town. Short of signing Klopp and Ronaldo when they're binned we have the best we can afford. At least two more windows I feel before we can comfortably claim to be a top 4 team.

easty
05-11-2022, 07:20 AM
Really? Thanks for letting me know. It seems they can also refuse to play if a world cup is two weeks away! 7 grand a week not bad for some.

“Look at me, look at me, I’m making stuff up and being a big drama queen”

DIXIHIBS
05-11-2022, 07:54 AM
We are undoubtedly soft a lot of the time. Its very frustrating when you see the likes of livi and the attitude of their players. We have more quality than them but nowhere near the same attitude. What is the answer though. Style of manager seems to play a huge part but also down to the players themselves. Personally i would rather watch a team of battlers than a team who looks great on occasion but capitulates when things go wrong.Maybe sacrifice some skills for mental toughness. We are very Jekyll and Hyde under johnson.

Hibees1973
05-11-2022, 08:00 AM
So the general feeling is that we have been soft for years, apart from the odd rare occasion. Is this the culture that's been fostered by Hibs and is it fact. Or is it just a perception we have of ourselves.

How do other clubs perceive us? I'm sure the Yams and Celtic reckon we are soft. Easily bullied and will crack under even the slightest amount of pressure.

It's clear that recruitment has been poor and naive recently. In the next window we should forget about players who have not proved themselves at a level comparable with the upper levels of the SPFL. Lightweights such as Jair, McKirdy & Henderson will get us nowhere. We have so many of this type. There are a whole load of players recruited recently who have been either posted missing as injured or who clearly are not going to have any impact on the 1st team. There has been loads of money and time wasted.

To my mind Marvin Bartley is one who didn't cost us a lot of money and didn't kiss the badge for mutual appreciation. He was experienced, solid, dependable and definitely not soft.

He is in the recent past, but it shows there are still these types of players out there that would not cost us a lot of money.

It's up to the recruitment team to identify a couple of players similar to Bartley which would improve us hugely.

tamig
05-11-2022, 09:49 AM

Are you implying Boyle was fit and “refused” to play? You should think carefully about what you’re saying here. Straying into dangerous territory.

GreenNWhiteArmy
05-11-2022, 10:37 AM
Never received well but there's an element of our support that's every bit as soft as they claim the club to be

Cat Stanton
05-11-2022, 11:08 AM

That's right. Hibs would never have lost 4-1 to Aberdeen under Neil Lennon.

Oh, hold on.. : https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42378586

superfurryhibby
05-11-2022, 11:11 AM
Are you implying Boyle was fit and “refused” to play? You should think carefully about what you’re saying here. Straying into dangerous territory.

I would be more inclined to call it embarrassingly laughable territory myself.

tamig
05-11-2022, 11:24 AM
I would be more inclined to call it embarrassingly laughable territory myself.

Seems to be one of those wannabe itk clowns. Nothing but a slaver, but should watch what he’s saying.

loanheadhibby
05-11-2022, 06:11 PM
Hanlon, Newell and Porteous are the reason why our team has not progressed over the last 18months.Hanlon is soft, Porteous has not eliminated the basic errors he makes every week....let him go...... and god forbid, why do we persist with Newell?????? When we go behind and need some spirit...where is he?

I will imagine that my Newell observations will be challenged, and he will be defended on here I am sure, but please state why? He is the common dominator of the midfield being over-run/ bullied/ bypassed and has sat in that midfield for two years and contributed to **** all positive in the advancement of the teams cycle.

Lots of great things going on at the club but persisting with at best, bang average English league one level midfielders wont even allow us to acheive 3rd this season.

You'll not be challenged by me.
Couldn't agree with you more.

A Hi-Bee
05-11-2022, 06:28 PM
That's right. Hibs would never have lost 4-1 to Aberdeen under Neil Lennon.

Oh, hold on.. : https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42378586

Ha, Excellent, the more things change the more they stay the same, although Lenny's comments were pretty much spot on. The sheep did have a better team then, than the rubbish we folded against last night.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2022, 07:00 PM

Joe Newell of course would never finish 3rd in this league. Except that time he did of course.

Quality player, that's why we continue to play him.

Zambernardi1875
05-11-2022, 07:29 PM
Joe Newell of course would never finish 3rd in this league. Except that time he did of course.

Quality player, that's why we continue to play him.

He’s the epitome of Hibs totally inconsistent. Looks fantastic in sunny Easter road, pressure off. But when the going gets tough, disappear. It’s no wonder we came 3rd during covid without fans or pressure.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2022, 07:38 PM
He’s the epitome of Hibs totally inconsistent. Looks fantastic in sunny Easter road, pressure off. But when the going gets tough, disappear. It’s no wonder we came 3rd during covid without fans or pressure.

Come on, stop lying. Our most consistent player this season.

Bad result and this rubbish pours out. Good result and you're quiet.

Zambernardi1875
05-11-2022, 07:46 PM

ive said for ages hed be a superstar in the canadian indoor soccer 7 league or the euro beach football on eurosport, hes not a sitting midfielder, nor a box to box or a goalscorer.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2022, 07:50 PM
ive said for ages hed be a superstar in the canadian indoor soccer 7 league or the euro beach football on eurosport, hes not a sitting midfielder, nor a box to box or a goalscorer.

Ah right. Are those the only 3 types of midfielders? Maybe 60 years ago, not now.

Zambernardi1875
05-11-2022, 07:56 PM
Ah right. Are those the only 3 types of midfielders? Maybe 60 years ago, not now.

so what is he good at?

loanheadhibby
05-11-2022, 08:48 PM

Are we all lying if we don't agree with you.
He is a complete luxury player.
Good at home to St Mirren but hides in the bigger games away from home.
Still I'm loath to disagree with you as you have been proved correct in your backing of Christian Doidge.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2022, 09:05 PM
Still I'm loath to disagree with you as you have been proved correct in your backing of Christian Doidge.

I wish you'd hide more often.

tamig
05-11-2022, 09:12 PM

Joe Newell has been more good than bad this season. Some excellent performances in quite a few games. We get that you don’t rate him. Who are the “all” you mention above? There are a handful of pretty vocal Joe Newell haters on here - but I think the majority recognise he’s a quality player. I know you don’t do stats but his stats this season do tend to back that view up.

B.H.F.C
05-11-2022, 09:23 PM
Joe Newell has been more good than bad this season. Some excellent performances in quite a few games. We get that you don’t rate him. Who are the “all” you mention above? There are a handful of pretty vocal Joe Newell haters on here - but I think the majority recognise he’s a quality player. I know you don’t do stats but his stats this season do tend to back that view up.

He certainly has quality but I don’t think he’s a quality player if that makes sense.

I think he’s had some really good games this season but we still lack in that area of the pitch and he’s the constant. For me, as long as Newell (and not just Newell by the way) continues to be seen as being quality, we will continue to be what we currently are.

flash
06-11-2022, 12:00 PM

I would say failing to beat Falkirk in the play offs was pretty soft to be fair.

loanheadhibby
06-11-2022, 02:05 PM
All?
The only stats that matter are goals really.
I don't hate any player including Joe Newell but certainly don't think he's a quality player.
I'm amazed that you don't see that he hides when the going gets tough.

Sir David Gray
06-11-2022, 04:00 PM
We don't seem to react well to adversity but if we didn't need about 5000 chances to score 1 goal then it wouldn't matter.

We should have been out of sight before Aberdeen scored last night. A penalty before HT then some schoolboy defending not long after and a side that are pretty clinical at home are on easy Street.

I predicted 6-9th for us after the LC games and that's still what I feel in my gut. There's no doubt there is an attempt to play the right way now and there has been an improvement. It's nowhere near as transformative as some want to believe though and the number of defeats we have witnessed already this season is proof of that.

Agree with this.

I recently posted some stats on the amount of defeats to non-Old Firm sides that the last three 3rd placed sides have had and we're pretty much there for the full season already.

In total the number of non-Old Firm defeats for each 3rd placed team over the last 4 years (with the exception of 19/20) was;

21/22 - Hearts - 5
20/21 - Hibs - 7
18/19 - Kilmarnock - 6

After 12 games we already have 5 defeats to non-Old Firm teams and on that sort of ratio we're on course to lose 13 such matches by the end of the season. By comparison we finished 8th last season and only lost 10 matches v non-Old Firm sides - it took us until the end of January to lose the same number of matches v non-Old Firm sides that we've already lost this season.

In terms of points dropped v non-Old Firm sides we're also fairly mediocre in comparison with other sides;

Dundee Utd - 24
Kilmarnock - 24
Ross County - 24
Motherwell - 20
Hibs - 17
St Johnstone - 17
St Mirren - 17
Livingston - 12
Aberdeen - 11
Hearts - 10

I think it's quite obvious already that Dundee Utd, Ross County and Kilmarnock are going to be the stragglers but I do think your 6th-9th prediction is looking increasingly likely.

Hibees1973
06-11-2022, 04:15 PM
I started this thread.

Kind of a demoralising weekend for us, which has highlighted our deficiencies.

All credit to the Yam for their 3 points today. Pains me to say this but unless there is a transformation in squad mentality or more likely, we sign 3 or 4 hardened, experienced first team players we ain't going to get anywhere near the top 4 at the end of the season.

As has been stated before we gained a lot of points playing against 10 men in previous games this season. The thin veneer covering our high flying league position is now beginning to wear off.

However, I'm not saying it's a lost cause. Surely we can win on Tuesday and avoid defeat next Saturday which will still put us in a good position. Failure to do this then there will be real pressure on Johnson prior to the World Cup break.

Long term though we will continue to be inconsistent and soft unless we ship out the snowflakes/lightweights and get in real, proven quality.

06-11-2022, 04:19 PM
I started this thread.

Kind of a demoralising weekend for us, which has highlighted our deficiencies.

All credit to the Yam for their 3 points today. Pains me to say this but unless there is a transformation in squad mentality or more likely, we sign 3 or 4 hardened, experienced first team players we ain't going to get anywhere near the top 4 at the end of the season.

As has been stated before we gained a lot of points playing against 10 men in previous games this season. The thin veneer covering our high flying league position is now beginning to wear off.

However, I'm not saying it's a lost cause. Surely we can win on Tuesday and avoid defeat next Saturday which will still put us in a good position. Failure to do this then there will be real pressure on Johnson prior to the World Cup break.

Long term though we will continue to be inconsistent and soft unless we ship out the snowflakes/lightweights and get in real, proven quality.

I give credit to Clancy for Hearts' win today. Craig Gordon should have had clear red, even Levein admits it, so they should've been 9 v 11 with a back-up keeper.

MWHIBBIES
06-11-2022, 05:17 PM
Weird how like 1 game changes everything really. Hearts bottle it at ER, we're the tough team, they're the *****bags. Now suddenly we're nowhere near them :faf:

Lets just ****ing support Hibs for once, and see what happens.

snedzuk
06-11-2022, 05:31 PM
We are undoubtedly soft a lot of the time. Its very frustrating when you see the likes of livi and the attitude of their players. We have more quality than them but nowhere near the same attitude. What is the answer though. Style of manager seems to play a huge part but also down to the players themselves. Personally i would rather watch a team of battlers than a team who looks great on occasion but capitulates when things go wrong.Maybe sacrifice some skills for mental toughness. We are very Jekyll and Hyde under johnson.

Dig out results to get yourself third and instill some old firm type mentality - probably should have gone for Derek McInnes.

Bridge hibs
06-11-2022, 05:38 PM
Dig out results to get yourself third and instill some old firm type mentality - probably should have gone for Derek McInnes.Yeah because he has Kilmarnock tearing up the league, much prefer Johnson

Stubbsy90+2
06-11-2022, 05:53 PM
Weird how like 1 game changes everything really. Hearts bottle it at ER, we're the tough team, they're the *****bags. Now suddenly we're nowhere near them :faf:

Lets just ****ing support Hibs for once, and see what happens.

Was that not about 10 games ago? :confused:

Stubbsy90+2
06-11-2022, 05:55 PM
Agree with this.

I recently posted some stats on the amount of defeats to non-Old Firm sides that the last three 3rd placed sides have had and we're pretty much there for the full season already.

In total the number of non-Old Firm defeats for each 3rd placed team over the last 4 years (with the exception of 19/20) was;

21/22 - Hearts - 5
20/21 - Hibs - 7
18/19 - Kilmarnock - 6

After 12 games we already have 5 defeats to non-Old Firm teams and on that sort of ratio we're on course to lose 13 such matches by the end of the season. By comparison we finished 8th last season and only lost 10 matches v non-Old Firm sides - it took us until the end of January to lose the same number of matches v non-Old Firm sides that we've already lost this season.

In terms of points dropped v non-Old Firm sides we're also fairly mediocre in comparison with other sides;

Dundee Utd - 24
Kilmarnock - 24
Ross County - 24
Motherwell - 20
Hibs - 17
St Johnstone - 17
St Mirren - 17
Livingston - 12
Aberdeen - 11
Hearts - 10

I think it's quite obvious already that Dundee Utd, Ross County and Kilmarnock are going to be the stragglers but I do think your 6th-9th prediction is looking increasingly likely.

:agree:

A lot of people are at pains to point out how we were third, then fourth, now fifth etc but we’ve never looked like a third place team.

Now that the league is starting to settle down, we’re getting into mid season, everyone’s played each other etc we’re starting to get a better idea of the league.

Stats like yours aren’t insignificant. They point to a team that will be battling for top 6/potentially bottom 6. Certainly not 3rd. To be better than mid table we’d need to get significant points against the OF, something which simply won’t happen.

Something I think a lot of fans could see coming a mile off and something which in all honesty isn’t good enough and for all the talk of improvement on last season, is pretty much exactly what we got last season.

With this squad and our recruitment though it could be seen a mile off.

You also posted regularly about our inability to do well against 11 men and were met with some real resistance with folk telling you it was insignificant and didn’t matter a ****. We’ve not had a red card against us for a while now and lo and behold our form has went off a cliff. That suggests it’s actually very significant.

Our good play got us playing against 10 men some of the time, of that there’s no doubt. We got lucky a couple of times though and it is really starting to show.