PDA

View Full Version : Porteous

truehibernian
04-11-2022, 09:09 PM
Drop him please Lee - send a message 👍

Complacency, lack of concentration, lack of basics - anyone else would be dropped, so bench him.

He’s not as good as he thinks he is and it’s affecting the team. If his ability matched his ego we’d be beating off bids and truth is we’re not. So bench him.

HH81
04-11-2022, 09:09 PM
Awful tonight. So poor.

Rumble de Thump
04-11-2022, 09:10 PM
How good does he think he is?

scuttle
04-11-2022, 09:11 PM
Not before Hanlon, time to give Fish a start

MagicSwirlingShip
04-11-2022, 09:12 PM
Was a big test for him tonight. Not good

Heisenberg
04-11-2022, 09:13 PM

He was way worse than PH tonight. He’s actually been worse than him all season minus a wee purple patch after his Scotland cap.

spikeymike
04-11-2022, 09:15 PM
If he was worse than PH tonight he must’ve been really bad

Boyle89
04-11-2022, 09:16 PM
So porteous is absolutely at fault in gifting 3 goals in as many games with nonsense defending yet you want hanlon benched before him? Please explain to me why.

Jones28
04-11-2022, 09:18 PM
Sign the contract or **** off and take your lapses in concentration with you.

Great when on his game but off his game far too often at the moment.

scuttle
04-11-2022, 09:22 PM
So porteous is absolutely at fault in gifting 3 goals in as many games with nonsense defending yet you want hanlon benched before him? Please explain to me why.

Please explain to me what you saw in Hanlons recent performances that make him better than Porteous

truehibernian
04-11-2022, 09:24 PM

Personally hope Hibs sell him in January - he’s the weakness alongside Hanlon in that Hibs back line.

Boyle89
04-11-2022, 09:29 PM
Please explain to me what you saw in Hanlons recent performances that make him better than Porteous

Hes made several top quality passes that have cut right through the opposition. That and hes not been totally at fault for 3 goals with very poor defending. Ok your turn now...

A Hi-Bee
04-11-2022, 09:33 PM
We need a whole new defense including the goalie, get rid o the ****in lot, start again. where does it stop?
:greengrin

Quadrophenia
04-11-2022, 09:34 PM
Let him go overrated

Greencore
04-11-2022, 09:37 PM
I mean he's alright... turns up for big games... sometimes ...

scuttle
04-11-2022, 09:37 PM
Hes made several top quality passes that have cut right through the opposition. That and hes not been totally at fault for 3 goals with very poor defending. Ok your turn now...

Is that all you've got, I really can't remember too many of those passes to be honest. Can't remember him chipping in with any goals either

1875Sean
04-11-2022, 09:40 PM
Is that all you've got, I really can't remember too many of those passes to be honest. Can't remember him chipping in with any goals either

Did you watch the game tonight? Hanlon wasn’t great but if you are wanting Porto ahead of him you are basing that on hype upon nothing else, defending on the final goal alone is droppable

Boyle89
04-11-2022, 09:42 PM

Is that all I've got? Its a damn sight more than what porto has offered in the last few games. As someone said bar the few games after his cap he has been as poor as hes ever been in a hibs shirt. He really needs to find form again and soon

scuttle
04-11-2022, 09:51 PM
Did you watch the game tonight? Hanlon wasn’t great but if you are wanting Porto ahead of him you are basing that on hype upon nothing else, defending on the final goal alone is droppable

Yes unfortunately saw the game,first goal enough said,second goal Newall allows free header third Cadden too slow closing down the shot, fourth Rocky let's cross come in Porto let's it across face of goal and Marshall too slow off his line, but don't know what Hanlon did that was so good. They are a gash let's face it

Unseen work
04-11-2022, 09:52 PM
My biggest issue with him is the stick he gives some other players and I’m not sure anyone ever gives him it back.

Whether it’s him shouting at someone, going off his head or throwing his arms out by his side it infuriates me.

When he pings it out the park, gives it away easily or loses his man nothing seems to be said

supermcginn
04-11-2022, 10:20 PM

Hanlon couldn't lace his boots.

Heisenberg
04-11-2022, 10:22 PM
Hanlon couldn't lace his boots.

Ryan struggles to lace his own on tonight’s evidence.

A Hi-Bee
04-11-2022, 10:29 PM
Dont, think he will be at Hibs much longer, so who will we turn on then, who is gonna be the next Panto Villian, its getting close to Xmas right enough, man some right pish gets spouted on here about some of our best players. They play for Hibs, no ****in Barcelona.

distant hibby
04-11-2022, 10:34 PM
Dont, think he will be at Hibs much longer, so who will we turn on then, who is gonna be the next Panto Villian, its getting close to Xmas right enough, man some right pish gets spouted on here about some of our best players. They play for Hibs, no ****in Barcelona.

Ok so sign the contract and stop pissing about .
That's the worst defending I've ever seen when Porteous let's the ball run past him and he can easily clear the ball.
Inexcusable.

A Hi-Bee
04-11-2022, 10:37 PM
Ok so sign the contract and stop pissing about .
That's the worst defending I've ever seen when Porteous let's the ball run past him and he can easily clear the ball.
Inexcusable.

You havnie seen many Hibs games if that is the worst you have ever seen.

Steve20
04-11-2022, 10:40 PM
Believes he’s better than he is.

The stick Hanlon, a Scottish Cup winning Hibs player, who has done us well in his career gets compared to Porteous is a joke.

Hanlon will be remembered for being a better player for Hibs than Porteous after they’ve both left. Oh and yeah even this season, Hanlon has been better than Porteous.

Ryan Porteous wants it to be the Ryan Porteous show. Shame we won’t get some sort of money but a parting of the ways is for the best.

WhileTheChief..
04-11-2022, 11:40 PM

The stick Hanlon, a Scottish Cup winning Hibs player, who has done us well in his career gets compared to Porteous is a joke.

Hanlon will be remembered for being a better player for Hibs than Porteous after they’ve both left. Oh and yeah even this season, Hanlon has been better than Porteous.

Ryan Porteous wants it to be the Ryan Porteous show. Shame we won’t get some sort of money but a parting of the ways is for the best.

When did this become a thing that everyone is taking as Gospel now?

What's he said or done to give that impression?

When he was interviewed around the time of his Scotland debut, we were all loving it. Nobody was complaining about his attitude then and we were all hoping he'd sign a new contract.

Now that he's had a few dodgy games it's because of his ego??? How does that work? Why's that not levelled at any other players who have poor games?

RossScott1991
04-11-2022, 11:40 PM
Knee jerk thread if I’ve ever seen one. Wasn’t long ago he threw his head on the line to get us 3 points and folk had him as the homecoming of Franz Beckenbauer

Stokesy's on fire
05-11-2022, 12:38 AM

I would happily subscribe to the Ryan Porteous show the boys class

LaMotta
05-11-2022, 05:39 AM
This thread is proof that Porteous can play as badly as you can think of and people will blindly defend him whilst trying to blame other players instead. It's a mad situation. He has got away with countless errors over last few years purely because he is a bit of a bam.

Stubbsy90+2
05-11-2022, 05:43 AM
Knee jerk thread if I’ve ever seen one. Wasn’t long ago he threw his head on the line to get us 3 points and folk had him as the homecoming of Franz Beckenbauer

Not sure about that. He’s had plenty criticism over the last season and a half.

Went on a 3 or 4 game run of good performances a couple months ago but he’s not been good enough other than that for a long time now. Not the player he’s made out to be unfortunately and hasn’t progressed anything like people would have expected him to when he broke through.

WestCoastHibby
05-11-2022, 06:41 AM
Another “Hibs class” thread……zzzzzzz

WhileTheChief..
05-11-2022, 09:47 AM
This thread is proof that Porteous can play as badly as you can think of and people will blindly defend him whilst trying to blame other players instead. It's a mad situation. He has got away with countless errors over last few years purely because he is a bit of a bam.

He’s my favourite Hibs player, of course I’m going to defend him. You can slag him off all you like.

It’s not about being blind and it’s certainly nothing to do with any other players though. Your comment about him being a bam is only what you think others think, in other words, it’s BS.

I think he’s gonna be a top defender within a couple of years. I love his passion and the effort he puts in and I’d like to see more of it from others.

We’ve got far bigger problems to worry about than Ryan.

where'stheslope
05-11-2022, 10:31 AM
I have said on other threads, lately, Porteous needs to start defending and not careering up the park at every opportunity!
When you play 3 at the back, you need the 3 to stay tight so as not to get caught by a breakaway!
St Johnstone game he was caught out chasing back rather than fronting up?
He's a great player, but needs to play a team game, not the Ryan Porteous show!

LaMotta
05-11-2022, 10:40 AM
He’s my favourite Hibs player, of course I’m going to defend him. You can slag him off all you like.

It’s not about being blind and it’s certainly nothing to do with any other players though. Your comment about him being a bam is only what you think others think, in other words, it’s BS.

I think he’s gonna be a top defender within a couple of years. I love his passion and the effort he puts in and I’d like to see more of it from others.

You are missing my point and I wasnt having a go at you. I like Porteous and on his day he is tremendous. It's the fact that someone had a go at Hanlon on this thread early on when Hanlon has been solid recently.

Despite Porto being class on his day he undoubtedtly has gotten off lightly with a catalogue of errors over the years that have cost us goals. No other player gets their errors swept under the carpet like Porto. The classic example was last season at Ibrox when he failed to track Morelos for a goal and folk were desperate to blame Rocky when it was nothing to do with him. Same in the LC final v Celtic when people ignored his part in both goals.

Letting a guy off with errors because he is passionate? That's not too disimilar from letting him off cos hes a bam.

Baldy Foghorn
05-11-2022, 11:58 AM
Porto suddenly not good enough??? Jesus wept. Some of the commdnts on here are comical

Heisenberg
05-11-2022, 12:00 PM
Porto suddenly not good enough??? Jesus wept. Some of the commdnts on here are comical

Wouldn’t say it’s suddenly for me. Been poor for the majority of the season.

tamig
05-11-2022, 12:01 PM

Do you think his recent performances have been good and merit him being an automatic starter? He has cost us plenty this season. On his game he’s great. He’s barely shown that this season.

LaMotta
05-11-2022, 12:02 PM

Nobody has actually said he isn't good enough though, of course he is good enough - the general point is that he hasn't been playing well enough on a regular basis.

Ronniekirk
05-11-2022, 12:05 PM
The goal Whete he just let the ball get played in to the box when it seemed. Easy to cut it out was a strange one

greenpaper55
05-11-2022, 12:08 PM
Reading this thread reminds me that most of the folk that made comments have never seen a good centre back ! Porto is vastly overrated especially by himself ! He needs dropped and Hanlon should have been dropped five years ago at least, for me the worst centre back pairing in the SPL. Until this lot go we will be losing games we should be getting something from.

Baldy Foghorn
05-11-2022, 12:38 PM
Do you think his recent performances have been good and merit him being an automatic starter? He has cost us plenty this season. On his game he’s great. He’s barely shown that this season.

I don't think he has been poor. Maybe at fault for the St Johnstone 1st, but has been better than people are saying. Folk would have been delighted if he signed a new contract. He hasn't, wonder if that is clouding some judgements?

sleeping giant
05-11-2022, 12:46 PM
Wouldn’t say it’s suddenly for me. Been poor for the majority of the season.

You must be at the wind up

Stubbsy90+2
05-11-2022, 12:55 PM

I’d agree with him.

He was really, really poor early in the season. He came onto a game, played well for a few weeks, played well for Scotland but has had another few poor games recently.

Also thought he had a poor season last season. Infact with the amount of time he spent suspended I think it’s hard to argue he didn’t.

Heisenberg
05-11-2022, 12:56 PM

Nope. Woeful in the league cup and a few performances aside has been poor in the league too.

tamig
05-11-2022, 01:11 PM
I don't think he has been poor. Maybe at fault for the St Johnstone 1st, but has been better than people are saying. Folk would have been delighted if he signed a new contract. He hasn't, wonder if that is clouding some judgements?

Its certainly not clouding mine. I was surprised he was called up for the Scotland squad - and said so at the time. Its the poorest start he’s made to a season since he first broke through. In my opinion.

gaz1875
05-11-2022, 01:49 PM
Reading this thread reminds me that most of the folk that made comments have never seen a good centre back ! Porto is vastly overrated especially by himself ! He needs dropped and Hanlon should have been dropped five years ago at least, for me the worst centre back pairing in the SPL. Until this lot go we will be losing games we should be getting something from.

Couldn't agree more with the above comment, both players get over hyped or slated when they are both no more than average. I don't get this Porto love in. When he first broke into the team, he was a top top prospect, then if my memory serves me correctly, he was injured and has never got back to being a top prospect.

Bridge hibs
05-11-2022, 01:51 PM
Its certainly not clouding mine. I was surprised he was called up for the Scotland squad - and said so at the time. Its the poorest start he’s made to a season since he first broke through. In my opinion.His call up to the Scotland squad was justified though wasnt it. For all his criticism on here and from fans of other clubs, Scotland fans too for that matter, he stood up for Scotland and didnt put a foot wrong against a very strong team and looked like he had been in that Scotland team throughout the campaign

He is not perfect, he makes mistakes, too many in my opinion which probably more often than not lead to us conceding. There is a good player in there who will get better, he just needs to cut out the lapses and focus more on his game

tamig
05-11-2022, 02:00 PM
His call up to the Scotland squad was justified though wasnt it. For all his criticism on here and from fans of other clubs, Scotland fans too for that matter, he stood up for Scotland and didnt put a foot wrong against a very strong team and looked like he had been in that Scotland team throughout the campaign

He is not perfect, he makes mistakes, too many in my opinion which probably more often than not lead to us conceding. There is a good player in there who will get better, he just needs to cut out the lapses and focus more on his game

Agreed. But he’s an experienced player now with a lot of games under his belt. He shouldn’t be having these repeated lapses at this stage of his career. It’s almost like they are more frequent. And it’s costing us dearly.

Brightside
05-11-2022, 02:32 PM
Couldn't agree more with the above comment, both players get over hyped or slated when they are both no more than average. I don't get this Porto love in. When he first broke into the team, he was a top top prospect, then if my memory serves me correctly, he was injured and has never got back to being a top prospect.

Hanlon is possibly the least hyped player in Scottish football. His own teams fans dont even hype him. :greengrin

basehibby
05-11-2022, 04:00 PM
Not sure about that. He’s had plenty criticism over the last season and a half.

Went on a 3 or 4 game run of good performances a couple months ago but he’s not been good enough other than that for a long time now. Not the player he’s made out to be unfortunately and hasn’t progressed anything like people would have expected him to when he broke through.

Sorry mate - that's just cherry picked garbage. Porteous has developed into a Scotland Centre Half and Steve Clark did not pick him on the basis of a run of 3 or 4 performances.

I fully expected Porteous to develop into a Scotland Centre Half when he broke through and that is what has transpired - just what on earth were you expecting?!? Of course I'd like to see more consistency but we could say that of a hell of a lot of football players.

The one thing I'd agree with is that he's "not the player hes made out to be" - but only in reference to gutter press garbage about him being a cheat - or hysterical diatribes from guys like you.

Stubbsy90+2
05-11-2022, 04:03 PM
Sorry mate - that's just cherry picked garbage. Porteous has developed into a Scotland Centre Half and Steve Clark did not pick him on the basis of a run of 3 or 4 performances.

I fully expected Porteous to develop into a Scotland Centre Half when he broke through and that is what has transpired - just what on earth were you expecting?!? Of course I'd like to see more consistency but we could say that of a hell of a lot of football players.

The one thing I'd agree with is that he's "not the player hes made out to be" - but only in reference to gutter press garbage about him being a cheat - or hysterical diatribes from guys like you.

What did I expect him to be? Probably the same as most Hibs fans. I thought he’d be away to the EPL and potentially become captain of Scotland. He was a cracking player for his age when he broke through.

He’s 24 before this seasons out and is nowhere near that level.

What did Steve Clarke pick him off the back of then? Cause he was poor at the start of the season and it certainly wasn’t that.

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2022, 04:05 PM
Amazing the number of psychology experts on .net.

A Hi-Bee
05-11-2022, 04:07 PM

:top marks been trying to stay away from crap like this thread, just regurgitated by people who really should know better, unless?

Centre Half, unless world beater usually reach the position they can be classed as very good when they are around 27/28 years old.

:thumbsup:

A Hi-Bee
05-11-2022, 04:09 PM

Experts on everything under the sun, wonderful my heid hurts when I think whats for ma tea, never mind being an expert on something, they must have heids like Shankland.

tamig
05-11-2022, 04:13 PM
:top marks been trying to stay away from crap like this thread, just regurgitated by people who really should know better, unless?

Centre Half, unless world beater usually reach the position they can be classed as very good when they are around 27/28 years old.

:thumbsup:

So until then he gets a free pass continuing to make costly mistakes? As I mentioned earlier, its difficult to defend the repeated mistakes and lapses in basic concentration that result in goals against us. I like Porto but I expected him to be much further down the road in terms of development as to where he is just now.

A Hi-Bee
05-11-2022, 04:16 PM
So until then he gets a free pass continuing to make costly mistakes? As I mentioned earlier, its difficult to defend the repeated mistakes and lapses in basic concentration that result in goals against us. I like Porto but I expected him to be much further down the road in terms of development as to where he is just now.

We should just get rid o him then, he's nay use to the Hibs, replaced with who?

tamig
05-11-2022, 04:54 PM

If we’re going to a back four I’d drop him for a spell. We will need to learn to live without him soon enough in any case. He’s no use to Hibs if he continues to cost us goals. Nobody should be undroppable.

Jones28
05-11-2022, 05:14 PM

Bushiri. The centre half who has been consistently our best player this season.

Face it, Porteous is leaving. If he wasn’t that new contract would have been signed and he’d have already committed his future to the club. He’s been a great servant but a combination of factors, primarily media treatment and form, would suggest its best for his career to leave Scotland, get out of the spotlight and focus on his game with a new club.

If Porteous signed a new deal and got himself back to playing the way we know he’s capable of he’d be one of the first names on the team sheet, but unfortunately I don’t think that’s going to happen.

Criswell
05-11-2022, 10:31 PM
I never like criticising individual players but for the good of the team and of Porteous himself he needs to be dropped for a spell. At the moment he is more a liability than an asset. He has to realise he must work harder tp improve his game and cut out the petulant behaviour. He is still potentially a very good player but has to show more maturity and learn from his mistakes otherwise his career is going nowhere.

Allant1981
06-11-2022, 08:23 AM
Clearly a good player but has played poorly a lot this season, needs his contract situation sorted as I think that's having a huge impact on him, if he was going to sign a new deal I'd imagine it was done already though

JimBHibees
06-11-2022, 08:25 AM

Absolutely it could save some folk thousands of pounds just to get some online counselling on here. :greengrin

JimBHibees
06-11-2022, 08:26 AM
I never like criticising individual players but for the good of the team and of Porteous himself he needs to be dropped for a spell. At the moment he is more a liability than an asset. He has to realise he must work harder tp improve his game and cut out the petulant behaviour. He is still potentially a very good player but has to show more maturity and learn from his mistakes otherwise his career is going nowhere.

What petulant behaviour?

flash
06-11-2022, 10:44 AM

Can you elaborate with the specific behaviour you are referring to, please as I must have missed it.

Hibbyradge
06-11-2022, 01:15 PM
Can you elaborate with the specific behaviour you are referring to, please as I must have missed it.

He does tend to blame everyone else when things go wrong, whether it's his fault or not.

I just don't think footballers mean to make mistakes so pointing fingers and shouting at them is self defeating.

I still want him in the team though and I hope he signs a new contract. But he won't.

Itsnoteasy
06-11-2022, 01:46 PM
He does tend to blame everyone else when things go wrong, whether it's his fault or not.

I just don't think footballers mean to make mistakes so pointing fingers and shouting at them is self defeating.

I still want him in the team though and I hope he signs a new contract. But he won't.

Also his constant diving.

flash
06-11-2022, 01:55 PM
Also his constant diving.

When did he last dive?

Hibbyradge
06-11-2022, 02:29 PM
When did he last dive?

Probably on Friday, in their box.

There may have been a slight touch on him, but you'd never have seen Daz go down that easily.

Mcbizz1998
07-11-2022, 09:56 AM

Pretty much where I am with him.

evy
07-11-2022, 10:46 AM

This line was said in 2019, 2020, 2021.....

JimBHibees
07-11-2022, 10:50 AM
This line was said in 2019, 2020, 2021.....

Well he was outstanding in his international debut so maybe they were right.

evy
07-11-2022, 10:51 AM

Would he make the World Cup squad on current form if we were in it?

JimBHibees
07-11-2022, 10:52 AM
Would he make the World Cup squad on current form if we were in it?

What has that got to do with anything? He was brilliant in the only game he played in

evy
07-11-2022, 11:42 AM
What has that got to do with anything? He was brilliant in the only game he played in

Everything. If he has developed into the top defender which you're eluding to, then he'd have more than 1 cap.

WhileTheChief..
07-11-2022, 11:44 AM
Ryan will finish his career with 50+ caps.

JimBHibees
07-11-2022, 11:44 AM
Everything. If he has developed into the top defender which you're eluding to, then he'd have more than 1 cap.

Got to start somewhere and playing excellently against top opposition is a very good one.

Smartie
07-11-2022, 11:50 AM
He’s the new Joe Newell.

Nobody’s doubting how good he can be when he’s paying attention in a team that’s playing well.

He needs to cut out the mistakes and improve drastically on his weaker performances and try to be the one who drags us up through games where we’re struggling rather than being one of the main reasons why we’re struggling.

I thought his good Scotland performance and running down contract would give him motive and focus to improve but it hasn’t happened.

SlickShoes
07-11-2022, 11:50 AM
I think it’s just more frustrating when he’s off his game because we see how good he is, so when those lapses happen and he’s shouting at someone else it’s quite annoying, coupled with the fact he’s not signing a new contract it adds to the frustration.

I think he will do well elsewhere and if he can keep improving will have a great career. I’d love him to stay at hibs, but just find the lapses he has so frustrating because he can be really great.

Stubbsy90+2
07-11-2022, 11:55 AM

One game doesn’t make him a top defender though. Top defenders do it consistently, something which Ryan hasn’t been able to do.

If Ryan Porteous consistently played like he did when he played for Scotland then he’d be a top defender. Whilst he continues to play like he has the last season and a half, he won’t imo.

evy
07-11-2022, 12:32 PM
Got to start somewhere and playing excellently against top opposition is a very good one.

Playing pish against poor opposition (see St Johnstone only 17 days ago as just 1 example) isn't though.

Using 1 game a barometer of a top class defender is ridiculous.

JimBHibees
07-11-2022, 12:58 PM
Playing pish against poor opposition (see St Johnstone only 17 days ago as just 1 example) isn't though.

Using 1 game a barometer of a top class defender is ridiculous.

I would hazard a guess Ryan has played many more than one good game ffs

I'm Spartacus
07-11-2022, 01:32 PM
Why didn't he clear the ball out for a corner for their third goal? He checked his run to let the ball run by him, mental.

evy
08-11-2022, 06:14 AM
I would hazard a guess Ryan has played many more than one good game ffs

You can count on one hand how many he’s had this season, that isn’t the sign of a top defender.

You’re also the one who singled out a particular game to highlight your point.

Since452
08-11-2022, 09:30 AM
It feels like it's becoming a bit of a broken record saying "if only he cut this out or screwed the nut" etc. Every single season. The boy has ability, it's blatantly obvious but sometimes it feels like one step forward then two steps back with him. The only CB i wouldn't drop right now is Rocky Bushiri. Porteous needs to be that player.

I'm Spartacus
08-11-2022, 10:32 AM
If we offload in January do we have the funds to replace him with better?

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 10:50 AM

I take it that's rhetorical.

Wilson
08-11-2022, 10:53 AM

Is that better than he is, better than some fans think he is, better than he thinks he is, or better than some fans think he thinks he is?

I'm Spartacus
08-11-2022, 10:59 AM
Is that better than he is, better than some fans think he is, better than he thinks he is, or better than some fans think he thinks he is?

Oh man, very very good point.

If we offload in January do we have the funds to replace him with someone better than he should be?

JimBHibees
08-11-2022, 11:10 AM

:greengrin

WhileTheChief..
08-11-2022, 11:27 AM
We brought in Fish and previously Nathan Wood.

Neither got a game in place of Porteous.

I doubt we’ll sign someone as good or better when he goes.

Hibernian Verse
08-11-2022, 11:32 AM

Exactly. We might get a decent centre back but we can't afford one as good on the ball as he is.

I'm Spartacus
08-11-2022, 11:34 AM

So the answer is, try to secure on a 3 year deal, keep for 12 months, rake in a fee with 2 years left.

Alfred E Newman
08-11-2022, 11:39 AM
Exactly. We might get a decent centre back but we can't afford one as good on the ball as he is.

I would rather our central defenders could defend .

OstKurve Hibs
08-11-2022, 11:46 AM

But we might sign someone that plays to their strengths and doesnt make stupid mistakes often leading to conceding goals.

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 11:52 AM

Rocky is as good on the ball, imo, and will get even better.

evy
08-11-2022, 11:56 AM

Can we afford one who doesn't get out fought by Stevie May?

JimBHibees
08-11-2022, 12:22 PM

Really? Can't see that to be honest

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2022, 12:36 PM

:dunno::tee hee::tee hee:

Hibbyradge
08-11-2022, 01:03 PM
Really? Can't see that to be honest

It's the thing that I liked about him in the beginning and why I defended him when others were wanting him binned. I think he's a good footballer and, once he gets the confidence he needs, I think he'll be a real asset getting us out of the back and going forward.

At the moment, he's not taking too many chances, but I'm pretty sure there's more to him than that.

Time, as always, will tell.

WhileTheChief..
08-11-2022, 02:06 PM
But we might sign someone that plays to their strengths and doesnt make stupid mistakes often leading to conceding goals.

Yeah we might, but I don't really have too much faith in who we sign these days so i'd rather stick with the tried and tested.

The whole team is going through a rough patch, if we can support everyone else, why not one of our genuine own?!!

Anyways, i appreciate I'm wasting my time as he'll want away soon enough.

basehibby
08-11-2022, 02:20 PM

I most certainly don't agree with the first bit but most certainly do with the other.

RMQ1967
08-11-2022, 04:04 PM

Agreed & he doesn't make as many unforced errors.

ancient hibee
08-11-2022, 04:05 PM
Despite the present situation there are two stats that stand out for me. We lost 10 goals in two league matches and 10 goals in the other 12.Does that indicate that the mental thing can be a problem if we lose a couple of goals but that the main problem is we don't score enough?

Fergus52
08-11-2022, 04:48 PM

I like rocky but that's a ridiculous statement imo.

Porteous this season, despite other faults, has been ridiculously press resistant, bursting through the opposition's first line with the ball and creating space for the rest of our team multiple times per game.

Rocky has decent passing but he never looks comfortable with the ball at his feet particularly when under pressure, as soon as an opposition player is within twenty yards or so of him he starts looking unbalanced and clumsy

JimBHibees
08-11-2022, 05:07 PM

Porteous this season, despite other faults, has been ridiculously press resistant, bursting through the opposition's first line with the ball and creating space for the rest of our team multiple times per game.

Rocky has decent passing but he never looks comfortable with the ball at his feet particularly when under pressure, as soon as an opposition player is within twenty yards or so of him he starts looking unbalanced and clumsy

Tend to agree with that.

SlickShoes
08-11-2022, 08:38 PM
Can we tear up his contract?

where'stheslope
08-11-2022, 09:05 PM

He's also been the cause of our sending off against St Johnstone, being caught up the park and Newell diving in to stop a counter attack.
He is 1 of a back 3 so he should be defending, there are 5 midfielders to do the attacking, let them get on with their job, not covering for his rush of blood to the head!

Unseen work
08-11-2022, 09:08 PM
I’ve said it before, but I can’t stand how he screams at some players. Normally the young foreign lads for not doing what he wants when they have the ball.

Tavares was on the pitch one minute, made a really good run, cut back and beat his defender then had a shot. Porteous immediately screams it for not cutting back to him which just wasn’t on whatsoever.

It was the same with the Melkersen ‘don’t tut at me’ comment in pre season. He’s got too much say and needs an experienced player or manager to bring him down a peg or two.

Martindale (not saying he should be manager whatsoever) would go absolutely through him for some of his defending lately.

The second goal tonight only happened because he wandered out of position. 2 goals against st Johnstone the other week too.

He’s undoubtedly a good player but he doesn’t focus, gets annoyed and screams at everyone.

Not In The Know
08-11-2022, 09:08 PM
To think he’s got a contract on the table from us that will make him one if not the highest paid player at the club is frightening.

MagicSwirlingShip
08-11-2022, 09:20 PM
To think he’s got a contract on the table from us that will make him one if not the highest paid player at the club is frightening.

Probably one of the highest wages we have ever paid too

1875Sean
08-11-2022, 09:25 PM
Not sure where he was for the second goal, he should have been covering the runner who set up the goal, has too busy ball watching, what does Fish has to do to get a game

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 09:34 PM
A bang average run of the mill spl defender.

No more, no less.

Should be dropped for Saturday.

Wembley67
08-11-2022, 09:39 PM
Never has and never will be good enough at this level. Said it for ages now but same people defending him constantly.

Hibernian Verse
08-11-2022, 09:40 PM
One of Hanlon, Rocky or Porteous needs dropped to go back to the back 4 and Porteous is the one that’s costing us goals.

RossScott1991
08-11-2022, 09:44 PM
One of Hanlon, Rocky or Porteous needs dropped to go back to the back 4 and Porteous is the one that’s costing us goals.

Certainly not Rocky he’s been fine.

Porteous constant mistakes and hanlon is as ever soft as s#%#. Which pretty much sums up this team of misfits

LaMotta
08-11-2022, 09:45 PM
Porteous is a technically brilliant footballer, but the evidence keeps coming that he is not a great defender. I think he may be our most creative player as well right now which is seriously worrying. He had our only decent shot at goal tonight. We'd be better off putting him in midfield or up front and reverting to a back four. I think he would do a better job than Melkerson up front or Henderson in Midfield. I'm not even joking with this suggestion either.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 09:46 PM
Porteous is a technically brilliant footballer, but the evidence keeps coming that he is not a great defender. I think he may be our most creative player as well. He had our only decent shot at goal tonight. We'd be better off putting him in midfield or up front and reverting to a back four. I think he would do a better job than Melkerson up front or Henderson in Midfield. I'm not even joking with this suggestion either.

I think that’s more a sorry indictment on Melkersen and Henderson rather than praise for Porteous.

Wouldn’t disagree though.

WhileTheChief..
08-11-2022, 09:46 PM
Never has and never will be good enough at this level. Said it for ages now but same people defending him constantly.

What does it matter if some of us 'defend' him?

It doesn't mean a jot to anything. Why the Hell do you care what me or anyone else thinks of him??

LaMotta
08-11-2022, 09:47 PM
I think that’s more a sorry indictment on Melkersen and Henderson rather than praise for Porteous.

Wouldn’t disagree though.

Agreed - its a sign of how poor our recruitment has been, signing too many young unproven at Scottish Premiership level players.

roo62
08-11-2022, 09:55 PM
Maybe we should think about the old guard back four for the Kille game and get back to basics and experience.
Porteous,MacGregor Hanlon and Stevenson.
As a dependable collective, and for a must not lose game, we could do worse. Our best chance of a clean sheet for me. Getting a draw or shut out in the next game buys the manager a bit of time to work on a back four unit after the WC.
That's how bad it is for me defensively at the minute. It needs sorted quickly.

Stubbsy90+2
08-11-2022, 09:55 PM
Maybe we should think about the old guard back four for the Kille game and get back to basics and experience.
As a dependable collective, and for a must not lose game, we could do worse. Our best chance of a clean sheet for me. Getting a draw or shut out in the next game buys the manager a bit of time to work on a back four unit after the WC.

Porteous shouldn’t be anywhere near the team, especially playing out of position.

EGL2000
08-11-2022, 09:57 PM
No idea what he is doing for the second goal. Boy just runs right off him and he hardly even bothers.

Mark05
08-11-2022, 09:59 PM
I,ll be honest it wouldn't bother me if porteous left in January. The defence is a mess and for me his head is elsewhere as his concentration levels are nowhere good enough. On his day he is a very good player but sadly we only see it occasionally

Mikey_1875
08-11-2022, 10:02 PM
Don’t think he is enjoying his time at RCB recently. That doesn’t excuse some of his farcical defending but he is getting dragged all over the place positionally at times and his support in attack down the right isn’t great either with some poor crossing.

Get him back in a 4 with Rocky or Hanlon and get the best out of him again.

sean
08-11-2022, 10:16 PM
I like him, he has lots of qualities but as Hibs fans we have vastly over rated him. 150 appearances now for Hibs and only offer for him was from Millwall. If Ryan was as good as many believe he wouldn't be at the club anymore. He needs to be more consistent and like many pundits have alluded too not loose concentration. Maybe a spell out the side may help him in the long run.

Unseen work
08-11-2022, 10:23 PM
Stevenson also does really poor for the goal.

He’s on lacovitti and then for whatever reason leaves him and he’s free

Mcbizz1998
08-11-2022, 10:24 PM
I like him, he has lots of qualities but as Hibs fans we have vastly over rated him. 150 appearances now for Hibs and only offer for him was from Millwall. If Ryan was as good as many believe he wouldn't be at the club anymore. He needs to be more consistent and like many pundits have alluded too not loose concentration. Maybe a spell out the side may help him in the long run.

I agree entirely. He isn’t that good. He can be occasionally but goes weeks with poor performances that costs us.

SON OF PADDY
08-11-2022, 11:07 PM

Porto should be dropped,and his contact offer put on hold!
He really isn't as good as he thinks he is ?

CL0762
08-11-2022, 11:30 PM
He’s one for shouting at the young foreign boys though.

Noticed him a few times giving it to Rocky, Melkersen & then Jair when he came on too.

I think it’s best for all concerned if we part ways, whether it be January or he signs a pre contract. We would be absolutely out of our minds to make him one of if not the highest paid player at the club based on his recent performances.

MelbourneHibees
09-11-2022, 06:55 AM
He will probably end up like Stevenson and Hanlon and stick around for years because he is just good enough to earn a contract extension but not good enough to attract a better deal elsewhere.

Hibernian Verse
09-11-2022, 06:59 AM

That back four gives me the fear. More fear than the current back 3/5.

Since452
09-11-2022, 08:08 AM

Why would we drop Rocky? Probably our best player this season.

McGruber
09-11-2022, 08:21 AM

He has been. He seems better in a 3 though. Since we moved to a 3 Rocky has been the biggest positive - though the formation change has negatively affected Porteous, Hanlon and Cabraja. The trade off hasn't been worth it.

Also playing the 3 CBs plus Kenneh is overkill at the best of times, at home to County just ridiculous. They were never going to have a lot of the ball.

Maybe Rocky stays in a 2 with Hanlon, he deserves a shot. Think our best 2 central is Porto and Hanlon though... and we need to get back to a 4

Wembley67
09-11-2022, 08:47 AM
What does it matter if some of us 'defend' him?

It doesn't mean a jot to anything. Why the Hell do you care what me or anyone else thinks of him??

It's what a forum is for :aok:

If we bought him in from a lower league team we would be doing the old 'not Hibs class'. As he has come through the system he is untouchable which is a shame as I had incredibly high hopes for him.

Smartie
09-11-2022, 09:17 AM
He has been. He seems better in a 3 though. Since we moved to a 3 Rocky has been the biggest positive - though the formation change has negatively affected Porteous, Hanlon and Cabraja. The trade off hasn't been worth it.

Also playing the 3 CBs plus Kenneh is overkill at the best of times, at home to County just ridiculous. They were never going to have a lot of the ball.

Maybe Rocky stays in a 2 with Hanlon, he deserves a shot. Think our best 2 central is Porto and Hanlon though... and we need to get back to a 4

Has Rocky really had a run in a 4 to say for sure that he's more comfortable in a 3 than a 2?

He was playing in a pair for some of, if not all of the second half last night and didn't do much wrong.

It just seems to be that he's been in the side in a 3 under Maloney and then Johnson but was injured for much of the time we were playing a back 4.

I think he was probably playing with Porto in a back 4 at the start of this season but it was Porto who was considered to be looking awkward playing on the left side.

SickBoy32
09-11-2022, 09:25 AM

Totally agree that the introduction of Bushiri has been detrimental to the overall balance of the team - and 5 at the back at home to a side like RC was awful

Time to get back to basics and that is a back 4, with our 2 best centre halves for me Hanlon and Porto

Jones28
09-11-2022, 09:27 AM
Totally agree that the introduction of Bushiri has been detrimental to the overall balance of the team - and 5 at the back at home to a side like RC was awful

Time to get back to basics and that is a back 4, with our 2 best centre halves for me Hanlon and Porto

On what’s been shown this season Bushiri is our best CH. He has to be one of the two.

J-C
09-11-2022, 09:35 AM
He's a decent young defender who thinks he's better than he is since his cap, not even near big Daz in his pomp.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2022, 09:49 AM
He's a decent young defender who thinks he's better than he is since his cap, not even near big Daz in his pomp.

How good does he think he is?

Porteous at his best is certainly as good as McGregor. Far more to his game.

SickBoy32
09-11-2022, 09:56 AM
On what’s been shown this season Bushiri is our best CH. He has to be one of the two.

We won many games with him in the side nah? St Mirren aside can't think of any

Lets get back to the team that had us win 4IAR please (as close as we can anyway without boyle)

cameronw-hfc
09-11-2022, 10:01 AM

Thank God you're not in charge then. That's probably the worst back 4 we could possibly pick. Who's at right back? Daz hasn't played there in year's and doesn't have the legs, Porto has never played there. Probably the worlds slowest back 4. Would get slaughtered by anyone that can build up to a light jog

Greenbeard
09-11-2022, 10:03 AM
No idea what he is doing for the second goal. Boy just runs right off him and he hardly even bothers.
Also the great chance they had @41mins when it was still 0-0, he did a comical drop onto all fours to let the boy get space and a shot which thankfully glanced over the bar from 6 yards out. Another example of him playing for a free kick in our box instead of staying strong in the challenge.

sean
09-11-2022, 10:19 AM
I agree entirely. He isn’t that good. He can be occasionally but goes weeks with poor performances that costs us.

I dont want to say his heads elsewhere or that he thinks he's better than he is etc but proof is in the pudding, 150 matches for Hibs and with lots of talk around him the only firm offer there has been was from mid table championship side in Millwall.

Any player that has aspirations of progression to a higher level must ultimately be consistent in performance, he isn't. You could maybe also argue has he improved that much during those 150 appearances?

Anyway, he's a good player for Hibs and at the moment going through a bad spell. I guess he's the least of our worries.

Smartie
09-11-2022, 10:39 AM
I dont want to say his heads elsewhere or that he thinks he's better than he is etc but proof is in the pudding, 150 matches for Hibs and with lots of talk around him the only firm offer there has been was from mid table championship side in Millwall.

Any player that has aspirations of progression to a higher level must ultimately be consistent in performance, he isn't. You could maybe also argue has he improved that much during those 150 appearances?

Anyway, he's a good player for Hibs and at the moment going through a bad spell. I guess he's the least of our worries.

I don't think he is the least of our worries.

We need our best, most important players to stand up and be counted. Ours are currently hopelessly out of form or injured and setting no sort of example to the younger or fringe players.

If we start getting anything close to what we need from Porteous, Hanlon, Cadden, Myko, McGeady, Nisbet, Magennis, Boyle and Mitchell then we can start making the valid point about the quality of all the other players.

Springbank
09-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Personal opinion klaxon - in any competitive sport, you have to understand the opposition are there to hurt you, and the best teams don't self-harm, they stick together

I worry that Porteous spends the first half of most games getting frustrated with his own team, rather than having the mindset of "I'm going to win this game for us"

By the second half, this escalates to desperado stuff, and we see horrendous positioning (like v St Johnstone, Aberdeen, County) gifting incredibly soft goals

It's all an absolute gift to the opposition

He's a boy with a good amount of talent, but he needs to channel it

Rule 1 - you have to understand the opposition are there to hurt you & it's your job to help your team stick together

Donegal Hibby
09-11-2022, 11:53 AM
Porto called up for Scotland squad , obviously Steve Clarke hasn't been watching him at Hibs lately as he's been really poor imo

Smartie
09-11-2022, 12:15 PM
Porto called up for Scotland squad , obviously Steve Clarke hasn't been watching him at Hibs lately as he's been really poor imo

You can bet he'll be back to his best for Scotland though.

I reckon he needs to leave Hibs, he's not going to get any better here. He needs to be paid money we'll never afford and have competition for his place that he'll never have at Hibs in order to focus properly and kick on.

There's much more motivation for him to toe the line with the national squad.

WestStandWillie
09-11-2022, 12:37 PM
Almost feels like we’re being held to ransom by Porteous and his agent.

The contract is on the table and he’s stalling saying he’s in no rush. If he’s as committed to the club as he likes to portray, he’d have signed that in a heartbeat. Worse case scenario being you get your boyhood club some money.

I think he’s put LJ in a position where he can’t drop him for the fear of the contract being snubbed.

Continues playing the way he does and i’d rip it up in front of him and his agent. No player is bigger than the club.

Donegal Hibby
09-11-2022, 12:51 PM
You can bet he'll be back to his best for Scotland though.

I reckon he needs to leave Hibs, he's not going to get any better here. He needs to be paid money we'll never afford and have competition for his place that he'll never have at Hibs in order to focus properly and kick on.

There's much more motivation for him to toe the line with the national squad.
Maybe your right ,I've been awful disappointed in his performances of late and even said he should have been dropped for a game or so , I got shot down for that one .Thought all the goings on with contract talks and stuff were maybe affecting his game a bit overall I'm disappointed in the guy being a Hibee and not signing a contract and moving in the summer .

evy
09-11-2022, 01:07 PM
Almost feels like we’re being held to ransom by Porteous and his agent.

The contract is on the table and he’s stalling saying he’s in no rush. If he’s as committed to the club as he likes to portray, he’d have signed that in a heartbeat. Worse case scenario being you get your boyhood club some money.

I think he’s put LJ in a position where he can’t drop him for the fear of the contract being snubbed.

Continues playing the way he does and i’d rip it up in front of him and his agent. No player is bigger than the club.

This x 1,000,000

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2022, 01:15 PM
It's what a forum is for :aok:

If we bought him in from a lower league team we would be doing the old 'not Hibs class'. As he has come through the system he is untouchable which is a shame as I had incredibly high hopes for him.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he's untouchable but I'm definitely going to cut him more slack compared to another player who is barely in the door.

He's come through the ranks, been with us several years and has 'earned' a bit of leeway as far as I'm concerned.

I get that he's not been great recently, none of our players have, but he's still far better than most in our crappy squad.

CentreLine
09-11-2022, 07:15 PM

Clarke was at the game last night. Must see something we’re not seeing.

Mutu
09-11-2022, 07:53 PM

He most likely watched his Scotland debut when he was absolutely outstanding, and the 3 or 4 club matches afterwards where again, he was excellent.

JimBHibees
09-11-2022, 09:37 PM
He most likely watched his Scotland debut when he was absolutely outstanding, and the 3 or 4 club matches afterwards where again, he was excellent.

Yep more than likely that and impressing in training with the national squad

JohnM1875
09-11-2022, 09:39 PM

Excellent is a stretch. Certainly if you're talking about his defensive attributes.

Was honestly shocked when he got the call up last time, chuffed for him and how well he played on his debut though. But again surprised at the call up.

He's been kinda **** at defending the past wee while.

B.H.F.C
09-11-2022, 10:42 PM

We were better defensively, minus Rocky. Go back to what was working.

cameronw-hfc
11-11-2022, 12:51 AM
We were better defensively, minus Rocky. Go back to what was working.

Bit mad to drop the only CB playing well and keep the two liabilities in the squad.

CentreLine
11-11-2022, 04:06 AM

That’s the point. He is capable of being an outstanding player but we are not seeing it for Hibs at the present time and neither is Steve Clarke. I, for one, find that very frustrating.

BoomtownHibees
11-11-2022, 07:29 AM
Bit mad to drop the only CB playing well and keep the two liabilities in the squad.

Not really if you think the 2 (Porto and Hanlon) are better in a back 4

happiehibbie
11-11-2022, 07:40 AM
Don't worry we will get 50K for him soon and everyone will be happy we don't have a player who is breaking into the Scotland Squad

Heisenberg
11-11-2022, 07:42 AM
Don't worry we will get 50K for him soon and everyone will be happy we don't have a player who is breaking into the Scotland Squad

I’d just be happy if he started playing well again instead of taking 50k. Pretty wild that Porteous somehow seems immune from criticism for some. He’s been terrible recently and if it was Hanlon or Rocky costing us the same goals they’d have been ripped to shreds on here.

jeffers
11-11-2022, 07:48 AM
I’d just be happy if he started playing well again instead of taking 50k. Pretty wild that Porteous somehow seems immune from criticism for some. He’s been terrible recently and if it was Hanlon or Rocky costing us the same goals they’d have been ripped to shreds on here.

On his game I think he’s excellent. I rate him higher than McKenna who is now playing in the Premiership, but I agree this season bar a few games he’s not been great. He could have no complaints if we dropped him on Saturday.

Scottie
11-11-2022, 07:59 AM
Reports from the Express this morning that Stoke City are interested in him.

B.H.F.C
11-11-2022, 08:03 AM

Not really. Form with those two as a pair was much better.

Rocky been fine, and much improved, individually but not worth disrupting the team for.

Heisenberg
11-11-2022, 08:17 AM
On his game I think he’s excellent. I rate him higher than McKenna who is now playing in the Premiership, but I agree this season bar a few games he’s not been great. He could have no complaints if we dropped him on Saturday.

I agree. He’s been excellent in a few games this season too but on the whole I don’t think he’s been up to it often enough and has been costing us goals more recently. If he can’t get himself sorted I’d sell in January but if he gets back on form he’s well worth keeping for the season. He’s got no interest in staying long term.

J-C
11-11-2022, 08:33 AM

Stuart, he's been pish recently and wants out of here, take the money and reinvest. No ones saying they don't want him but if he wants to go then let him, maybe see fewer petulant moans at other players when it's his fault.

Hibbyradge
11-11-2022, 09:04 AM

If we're offered £50k in January, he'll leave for nothing in May. He's worth more than that to us for the rest of the season.

heretoday
11-11-2022, 10:07 AM
Sell him while he's hot.
Don't wait till he's not.

Lago
11-11-2022, 12:28 PM
Reports from the Express this morning that Stoke City are interested in him.
Probably a decent level for him to start off in England, certainly no where near EPL level.

HibeeHibernia
11-11-2022, 01:58 PM

Clarke always shows loyalty to his players regardless of their club form mate i wasn't surprised at all to see porto in the squad.

HibeeHibernia
11-11-2022, 02:01 PM
i think it is a good thing that porteous is being picked for the national squad because if he isn't going to sign our contract we will want him performing on that level on a consistent basis so we can get as much money for him as possible because we'll have no chance of getting anything for him if they are watching him perform for us this season.

JimBHibees
11-11-2022, 09:39 PM
Clarke always shows loyalty to his players regardless of their club form mate i wasn't surprised at all to see porto in the squad.

Yes he is loyal to players who play excellently for him

tamig
12-11-2022, 09:03 AM
If we're offered £50k in January, he'll leave for nothing in May. He's worth more than that to us for the rest of the season.

The way things have been lately he could end up costing us more than that. 🙄

Itsnoteasy
12-11-2022, 10:28 AM

But whoever he goes to some on here will have an English or wherever he goes to have a new team to support just like the John Mcginn Aston Villa love affair.

Fergus52
12-11-2022, 10:41 AM
But whoever he goes to some on here will have an English or wherever he goes to have a new team to support just like the John Mcginn Aston Villa love affair.

Weird comment. He was the best player by a mile in our cup winning team.

Out of all of our ex players, he's the one I don't think you can begrudge most Hibs fans following his career and supporting wherever he goes.

Hibbyradge
12-11-2022, 05:27 PM
He really, really, really needs to stop going down so easily.

He was probably on the deck more often than any other Hibs player today and he's a strong man. There was one time, in the middle of the park, when he went down with the merest of touches, if any, which led to the ref having a word with him.

The referees will have his card marked now so they're going to be less likely to give a free kick even when it's merited.

He's a fine player but that aspect of his game lets him down, imo.

gaz1875
12-11-2022, 05:31 PM
He really, really, really needs to stop going down so easily.

He was probably on the deck more often than any other Hibs player today and he's a strong man. There was one time, in the middle of the park, when he went down with the merest of touches, if any, which led to the ref having a word with him.

The referees will have his card marked now so they're going to be less likely to give a free kick even when it's merited.

He's a fine player but that aspect of his game lets him down, imo.

The radio mentioned he was back to his old self, falling down looking for fouls and at the referee all the time.

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 05:31 PM
he isn't as good as he thinks he is get the money in january hibs.

Stubbsy90+2
12-11-2022, 05:38 PM
Gash yet again.

Allant1981
12-11-2022, 05:40 PM
he isn't as good as he thinks he is get the money in january hibs.

How good does he think he is? Don't think anyone can deny he isn't a good CH, he just doesn't do himself any favours sometimes

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 05:47 PM
How good does he think he is? Don't think anyone can deny he isn't a good CH, he just doesn't do himself any favours sometimes

on his day he is very decent but his day only comes 5 to 10 games a season take the money and run imo mate

Allant1981
12-11-2022, 05:49 PM
on his day he is very decent but his day only comes 5 to 10 games a season take the money and run imo mate

So you reckon he has 30 odd bad games, sorry can't agree at all, he has been playing poorly recently but no chance he only has 5-10 decent games a season.

truehibernian
12-11-2022, 05:54 PM

Plays for himself, not the team - look how exposed he leaves his colleagues due to continuing lack of defensive discipline and concentration. He’s not learning one bit. Indiscipline and lacking in intelligence- he’ll never be at the level he’s capable of because of it. Still rash in his decision making which ultimately falls on the manager to sort out. Metaphorically needs his wings clipped until the penny drops.

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 05:57 PM
So you reckon he has 30 odd bad games, sorry can't agree at all, he has been playing poorly recently but no chance he only has 5-10 decent games a season.

are we counting the amount of time he is out suspended or injured as well aye? He won't be missed imo.

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 05:59 PM
Plays for himself, not the team - look how exposed he leaves his colleagues due to continuing lack of defensive discipline and concentration. He’s not learning one bit. Indiscipline and lacking in intelligence- he’ll never be at the level he’s capable of because of it. Still rash in his decision making which ultimately falls on the manager to sort out. Metaphorically needs his wings clipped until the penny drops.

:top marks- i get a sense from him that he thinks he's too good for us mate i think he is deluded and if people think he is international ready put him in a back 4 against a decent side instead of a back 10 against an average side and see how he gets on we are the only ones (hibs fans) who think he is amazing that says it all for me like.

JimBHibees
12-11-2022, 06:13 PM

Way too harsh

Since452
12-11-2022, 06:17 PM
We dropped our best defender to accommodate Porteous and Hanlon. Unreal. Play your best players.

truehibernian
12-11-2022, 06:22 PM
Way too harsh

Look at the goals we’ve conceded and look where Ryan has been positioned- he’s off form, national selection and contract has turned his head Jim - he’s forgotten the basics week to week and we’re suffering because of it. Look at his stats last 8 games. He’s not an intelligent footballer, he’s playing for himself which is more the worry because he’s so poor of late. Good players don’t make the kind of decisions he’s been making.

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 06:24 PM
We dropped our best defender to accommodate Porteous and Hanlon. Unreal. Play your best players.

hard to disagree with that mate porteous has been murder for months now

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 06:25 PM
Look at the goals we’ve conceded and look where Ryan has been positioned- he’s off form, national selection and contract has turned his head Jim - he’s forgotten the basics week to week and we’re suffering because of it. Look at his stats last 8 games. He’s not an intelligent footballer, he’s playing for himself which is more the worry because he’s so poor of late. Good players don’t make the kind of decisions he’s been making.

:top marks

Billy Whizz
12-11-2022, 07:55 PM
Ryan was the least of our worries today

h1bs4life
12-11-2022, 08:28 PM
Porteuos seems to be blamed for everything these days , yet the Scotland manager trusted him to play in a competitive international and has picked him again and seems other clubs are interested in him.
Got plenty of stick for Ross County’s 2nd goal. Looked at the goal again playing right side centre back he did get caught but watching the cross there are 2 players who have been part of some horrendous teams in the middle , one decides to go and mark his mate and doesn’t pick up the scorer yet it’s all Porteous fault.
He would be better letting his contract run down there were will be plenty teams interested him.
Probably get a club in the English championship and with an experienced centre half beside him guiding him and reigning him in and a bit of coaching he will make a good centre half he has all the attributes .
Meanwhile guess who we will be left with .

HibeeHibernia
12-11-2022, 08:36 PM
Porteuos seems to be blamed for everything these days , yet the Scotland manager trusted him to play in a competitive international and has picked him again and seems other clubs are interested in him.
Got plenty of stick for Ross County’s 2nd goal. Looked at the goal again playing right side centre back he did get caught but watching the cross there are 2 players who have been part of some horrendous teams in the middle , one decides to go and mark his mate and doesn’t pick up the scorer yet it’s all Porteous fault.
He would be better letting his contract run down there were will be plenty teams interested him.
Probably get a club in the English championship and with an experienced centre half beside him guiding him and reigning him in and a bit of coaching he will make a good centre half he has all the attributes .
Meanwhile guess who we will be left with .

this is a thread about porteous so obviously in here he will get most of the blame but he certainly hasn't been the worst his attitude has been rotten for months though my original post was directed at that, he thinks he is better than he really is, he walks around shouting at everyone but when he is at fault the heeds down and nothing is said. Clarke always picks the same boys regardless of form mate so i certainly wasn't shocked to see him in there i mean ryan jack still gets a call up and he has done nothing of note this season for der hun. His ability to concentrate for long periods of time will be his downfall it almost looks like he gets bored and can't be arsed playing depending on the opposition. He would be world class if we were playing the old firm every week as its the only games he seems to be up for that or the derby of course.

B.H.F.C
12-11-2022, 09:23 PM

Rocky doesn’t make a bit of difference today. Defence were completely untroubled. Reverting to the two who have worked as a pair was one of the correct things he did today.

HibeeHibernia
13-11-2022, 03:17 PM
I don't know what you guys are moaning about but I've never been on here previously, I support Hibs and have done all my days, I'm sorry if my "prolific" posting has upset you in any way but if you read through any of my posts which you probably haven't you would tell straight away I bleed green and white :flag:

bigwheel
13-11-2022, 03:29 PM
I don't know what you guys are moaning about but I've never been on here previously, I support Hibs and have done all my days, I'm sorry if my "prolific" posting has upset you in any way but if you read through any of my posts which you probably haven't you would tell straight away I bleed green and white :flag:

I’ve not read all your posts but there seemed to be a very negative tone in some of your early contributions ..I can understand why it’s got a reaction as it’s often the tactic of a troll (not suggesting you are )..what I don’t understand is why new posters don’t just join in and find your way around the forum, before being too aggressive or assertive with negative views …

HNA2
13-11-2022, 03:35 PM
A reminder to use the report function if you see something the admin team need to look at otherwise let's keep the thread on track