PDA

View Full Version : What's the most useless thing you still have memorised?

Hibbyradge
31-10-2022, 10:06 PM
That reply harvesting question popped up in my Facebook feed and I thought it might be fun to read what stuff folk say.

I'll kick it off with MISSISSIPPI IPPISSISSIM 😃

I must have learnt that at primary school but it still reappears front of brain every 10 years or so.

Scouse Hibee
31-10-2022, 11:29 PM
The registration number of my Dads Ford Fiesta that was stolen during the 80’s in Liverpool and never recovered.

Hibrandenburg
01-11-2022, 03:49 AM
Morse Code. I still find myself translating adverts on public transport into dots and dashes in my head.

Bridge hibs
01-11-2022, 05:20 AM
My credit card pin number, strange because Ive the same number for my mobile phone for years and only know the last 3 digits. I have had my credit card for years and have never had to use the pin until a couple of weeks ago when it failed to work when I tapped it on the tappy thing. I almost broke into a sweat when the lassie told me to put my pin in. I remembered it straight away, bloody strange 😵

oneone73
01-11-2022, 06:10 AM
First ever phone number from 1967.Not too difficult, mind: Eyemouth 416.

CropleyWasGod
01-11-2022, 06:13 AM
My mum's store number.

Hibby70
01-11-2022, 06:20 AM
TK 421 why aren't you at your post?

McSwanky
01-11-2022, 06:35 AM
The entire lyrics to Boom Shake the Room by DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

Stairway 2 7
01-11-2022, 06:37 AM
Loads of house phone numbers that people don't even have plugged in anymore, national insurance number is useful about every 3 years ha

Pretty Boy
01-11-2022, 06:51 AM
I think old phone numbers must be a common one. I don't have a clue what my wife's mobile number is but could reel off my parents old neighbours (who moved about 15 years ago) landline without even thinking about it.

Not sure if it's related but does anyone else ever get those moments when you remember something from the past that makes your squirm with embarrassment? Not anything big just a throw away comment or something daft you said that no one else will remember or care about but you get a few seconds of real cringe.

HibbyDave
01-11-2022, 07:14 AM
Agree about old tel number: Waverley 2254.

Jones28
01-11-2022, 07:15 AM
Mines are mostly movie related. I can watch a film a couple of times and remember some of the most obscure lines.

If my head wasn’t so full of this kind of **** I’d be much better at maths.

danhibees1875
01-11-2022, 07:29 AM
Not sure if it's related but does anyone else ever get those moments when you remember something from the past that makes your caring with embarrassment? Not anything big just a throw away comment or something daft you said that no one else will remember or care about but you get a few seconds of real cringe.

:agree:

As you say though, I couldn't think of anything cringy/weird/stupid my friends have said over the years so it's probably only me that even remembers!

Hibbyradge
01-11-2022, 09:10 AM
Hello, Corstorphine 4723?

DSC 906C - My dad's 1965 Ford Zodiac

Hibbyradge
01-11-2022, 09:11 AM
Not sure if it's related but does anyone else ever get those moments when you remember something from the past that makes your squirm with embarrassment? Not anything big just a throw away comment or something daft you said that no one else will remember or care about but you get a few seconds of real cringe.

I'm glad that's not just me. :embarrass

The Modfather
01-11-2022, 09:40 AM
Not sure it’s useless as such, but my national insurance number has always stuck for some unknown reason. Not sure why or the last time I had to enter it somewhere.

Keyser Sauzee
01-11-2022, 10:23 AM
I think old phone numbers must be a common one. I don't have a clue what my wife's mobile number is but could reel off my parents old neighbours (who moved about 15 years ago) landline without even thinking about it.

Happens to me daily 😂 I can feel my face turn red with embarrassment when it does.

J-C
01-11-2022, 10:55 AM
My dad's old phone number he passed 16 years ago but still know it off by heart 0131 554 7269.

Smartie
01-11-2022, 12:08 PM
When I stayed in the Hotel Los Milanos in Son Bou, Menorca at age 7 (1985) I stayed in room number 822.

You had to say your room number every evening when you went to dinner and after 2 weeks it was drilled into me probably a bit too effectively.

Mon Dieu4
01-11-2022, 12:31 PM
My mum's Janet Fraser catalogue number

Santa Cruz
01-11-2022, 02:25 PM
That Monday's Child poem. I like asking folk what day of the week they were born just so I can tell them whether they lived up to the predictions about their future/type of person they are now.

G15 Hibs
01-11-2022, 07:39 PM
Never mind real telephone numbers, for some reason my brain's held onto telephone numbers from TV shows. 4291? Darrowby 385?

Also,all the words to Mairi's Wedding, learned at school 35 years ago or so.

O'Rourke3
01-11-2022, 08:01 PM
Song lyrics for Portobello's motto. Ope Et Consilio. Suspect it was written by Mary Dale the music teacher in the 60s and a rampant member of the SNP. Her son in law wrote the lyrics for "For these are our mountains"

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Frazerbob
01-11-2022, 08:17 PM
Lyrics to my old school song. ‘The merry month of June……..’

McD
01-11-2022, 09:01 PM
Random quotes from tv shows and films, which continually come into my mind to reply to things people have said, which often leads to odd looks :greengrin

the year that many songs were released, I just have a knack for associating many songs from my youth to events in my life/the world, and can remember them without effort

all sorts of random crap taking up room between my ears :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
02-11-2022, 01:41 PM
Others that have come to me,

Our home phone number when I was a kid, we left that house when I was 13.

The postcode from the house I was born in.

The phone number from my Dad’s butchers shop that he sold forty odd years ago.

lyonhibs
02-11-2022, 02:30 PM
Lyrics to my old school song. ‘The merry month of June……..’

...of sunny days and flowers......

Agreed about old landlines as well. Physics equations triangles as well. DVT = Derek's very tell MGH = Margaret Hutton etc etc

Santa Cruz
02-11-2022, 03:02 PM
...of sunny days and flowers......

Agreed about old landlines as well. Physics equations triangles as well. DVT = Derek's very tell MGH = Margaret Hutton etc etc

You've just reminded me of the order of the planets memory prompt ( I was taught this after I left school ) My Very Elegant Mother Jumped Straight Under Nine Planets.

Pretty Boy
02-11-2022, 04:41 PM
You've just reminded me of the order of the planets memory prompt ( I was taught this after I left school ) My Very Elegant Mother Jumped Straight Under Nine Planets.

My very easy method just speeds up naming planets.

Neither work now thanks to change of classification for Pluto.

Santa Cruz
02-11-2022, 04:53 PM
My very easy method just speeds up naming planets.

Neither work now thanks to change of classification for Pluto.

which is why it is now useless :greengrin

Your version makes more sense than the one I was taught tbf.

Scouse Hibee
02-11-2022, 08:26 PM
Taught at a young age, God, Bless You……Green Brown Yellow order of snooker balls at the D.

Bridge hibs
02-11-2022, 08:58 PM
Taught at a young age, God, Bless You……Green Brown Yellow order of snooker balls at the D.
I honestly never thought of that, I watched snooker for years and still didnt know the set up. Me and my Brother fancied a game of snooker a few years ago and when we got to setting up green, brown and yellow we were clueless and had to google it, pair of stupid ***** 🤣

Hibbyradge
02-11-2022, 08:58 PM

That's useful. :greengrin

EH6 Hibby
02-11-2022, 09:37 PM
Granny likes a small glass of Whisky.

Edward died in November, buried under Robert Grahams house.

matty_f
03-11-2022, 05:30 AM
That reply harvesting question popped up in my Facebook feed and I thought it might be fun to read what stuff folk say.

I'll kick it off with MISSISSIPPI IPPISSISSIM 😃

I must have learnt that at primary school but it still reappears front of brain every 10 years or so.

Are these Facebook posts not just generally trawling for potential password into - what was your first car/favourite teacher etc?

sleeping giant
03-11-2022, 08:38 AM
Umbongo Umbongo ,they drink it in the Congo.
A Python picked a passion fruit , a guava and a mango.
He set it to the mandarin who danced a dainty tango........

Hibbyradge
03-11-2022, 10:28 AM
Are these Facebook posts not just generally trawling for potential password into - what was your first car/favourite teacher etc?

Yes, that's what I meant by harvesting question. I never reply to them.

I think most of them are harvesting likes, though. Once they get enough likes and follows, the username or whatever, starts having a value.

This thread isn't harvesting! :wink:

Edit: This explains how it works.

https://www.itgovernance.co.uk/blog/like-farming-and-share-scams-whats-it-all-about#:~:text=A%20scammer%20will%20set%20up,subjec t%20of%20the%20picture%20well.

RyeSloan
03-11-2022, 05:26 PM
Umbongo Umbongo ,they drink it in the Congo.
A Python picked a passion fruit , a guava and a mango.
He set it to the mandarin who danced a dainty tango........

Ahh yes advert jingles!

The flake one from the 80’s with the girl in the boat still resides in my head for some unknown reason. [emoji12]

Only the crumbiest flakiest chocolate, tastes like chocolate never tasted before…

Santa Cruz
03-11-2022, 05:35 PM
Ahh yes advert jingles!

The flake one from the 80’s with the girl in the boat still resides in my head for some unknown reason. [emoji12]

Only the crumbiest flakiest chocolate, tastes like chocolate never tasted before…

Murray Mints. Murray Mints, too good to hurry mints :greengrin

weecounty hibby
03-11-2022, 05:55 PM
5120124. My clock number when I started as an apprentice engineer more than 37 years ago. Postcode of every house I've ever lived in

He's here!
03-11-2022, 07:52 PM

I get that regularly. The cringe factor, if anything, increases each time.

I also find I get a random memory entering my head for no obvious reason ie I'm not revisiting a place from my past or doing an activity associated with that memory, it just seems to be sparked by something undefined. I've tried to analyse it and figure out what prompted the recollection and occasionally I can join some dots but more often than not it seems random.

Keith_M
19-11-2022, 04:47 PM
My Gran and Grandad's phone number from the house they lived in when I was a kid. They moved out of that house in 1983 but I still know it by heart.

How come I can remember that, as well as my aunt and uncle's number from the same era, but I have to look up my own house number.... despite living at my current address for four years :greengrin

Keith_M
19-11-2022, 04:57 PM
Random quotes from tv shows and films, which continually come into my mind to reply to things people have said, which often leads to odd looks :greengrin

Kochanski: "God, just how stupid am I?"

Kryten: "Well according to my calculations, madam..."

(Red Dwarf, circa 1997)

You've no idea how often the response from Kryten feels just sooooo appropriate.

:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2022, 12:01 AM
Never eat shredded wheat.

Bridge hibs
20-11-2022, 05:23 AM
When using a screwdriver/ratchet, righty tighty, lefty loosey

Sylar
20-11-2022, 08:06 AM
Och aye the noo, sugar cube.

Was a way were taught to remember the name of the Japanese islands for a geography test once.

scoopyboy
20-11-2022, 08:32 AM
Order of reactivity of metals was helped by first initials of the following

Please send Celtic's manager a zulu if the left half cant manage six goals.

Translated into Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron, Tin, Lead, etc

Never ever forgotten that but now I'm retired will never ever need it again, in all honesty probably never used it since I stopped studying chemistry

Hibbyradge
20-11-2022, 10:15 AM
Class in a glass.

Keith_M
20-11-2022, 04:43 PM
Methuselah lived until he was 969 years old (allegedly).

Noah's three sons were called Ham, Shem and Japheth.

Shem is where the word Semitic (and Anti-Semitic) comes from

Sunday School, so much useless info :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
20-11-2022, 04:50 PM
Methuselah lived until he was 969 years old (allegedly).

Noah's three sons were called Ham, Shem and Japheth.

Shem is where the word Semitic (and Anti-Semitic) comes from

Sunday School, so much useless info :greengrin

Funny you should mention that, I stumbled across my Child's Bible that I got from Sunday School at Pilrig/Dalmeny Street Church in 1979, probably not laid eyes on it for about 40 years!😀

wookie70
21-11-2022, 10:49 PM
Old phone numbers and number plates make great passwords. I still know a few along with a collection of the number plates from my Dads old cars.

Keith_M
24-11-2022, 02:02 PM
Funny you should mention that, I stumbled across my Child's Bible that I got from Sunday School at Pilrig/Dalmeny Street Church in 1979, probably not laid eyes on it for about 40 years!😀

:greengrin

LancashireHibby
24-11-2022, 03:56 PM
Up, down, left, right, start, A

LancashireHibby
24-11-2022, 03:57 PM
Never eat shredded wheat.
‘Never ever support Wigan’ in this neck of the woods 😊

Billy Whizz
24-11-2022, 07:18 PM
The 24 times table
I used to work in an office, that everything they bought was in 24’s

MKHIBEE
26-11-2022, 06:13 AM
Ahh yes advert jingles!

The vocals were done by Maggie Bell, of Taggart fame, in the version I remember

blackpoolhibs
26-11-2022, 10:03 AM

And the woman who ate the flake in the advert was married to Roger Taylor the Queen drummer.

Greentinted
26-11-2022, 06:55 PM

Apols for the wee tangent but it so happened I was reading about the Scottish singer, Sandra McKenzie who is apparently now homeless & utterly destitute. Recently the victim of an horrendous knife attack, she’s no had her troubles to seek. Can only hope things improve for her.
Anyway, your post put me in mind of the iconic advert she sang the catchy ‘jingle’ for. Tbf, there’s not many people who don’t know the line:
“Whoaaaaa, Bodyform. Bodyform for you!”

Keith_M
27-11-2022, 08:26 AM
The square of the hypotenuse of a right angled triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

Not sure if anybody has ever found a genuine reason to remember that since leaving school.