PDA

View Full Version : Btg

NAE NOOKIE
25-10-2022, 12:56 PM
Inspired by the 'Hibs club' thread does anybody know if there's any news around reopening Behind the Goals?

Given the fact the boozers around ER are rammed on matchdays, more down to the reduction of them over the years than an increase in folk wanting a pre match pint I suppose, it seems to me that filling the place if it was to reopen wouldn't be a problem.

As I've said before, even if this bar wasn't a huge money maker for Hibs IMO it was important in creating an atmosphere that made folk feel more connected to the club. There have been signs recently that Hibs are giving more thought to the connect between fans and club, through stuff like the hugely successful ( result notwithstanding ) game for a tenner initiative and a seeming willingness to embrace 'Block 7' far more than they have previous fans groups.

Given our seemingly never ending ability to attract commercial 'partners' I wonder if Mr Gordon might come around to bringing some in to help resurrect what at the moment seems to be a wasted space.

Quadrophenia
25-10-2022, 04:32 PM
Something has to be done . Even paying a small fee to guarantee a seat BTG would be a idea ,like a extension to the Albion bar in the west. It used to be good ,loads for kids to do and chips pies etc. Only problem for out of towners was you could never get a table.
And plastic glasses. A wetherspoons style drink app would be great as well

Sir David Gray
25-10-2022, 05:43 PM
Apparently another hospitality area is planned going forward for this space.

Would be good to have a free to enter bar area again but that seems unlikely sadly.

BILLYHIBS
26-10-2022, 05:57 AM
I was in the Albion Bar on Friday and I must say I was very impressed with the place it had a real match day vibe to it

It was absolutely rammed and I was very impressed with the interior with the old turnstiles and match day programme wallpaper

I did not realise it was located on the first floor just above the Main Entrance to the West

Bear in mind it costs £200 just to walk in the door and is also available to Hospitality guests Hibs are definitely missing a trick not having a similar commercially viable option available to home fans in the North Stand

I would imagine the success and popularity of the Albion Bar has not gone unnoticed

cameronw-hfc
26-10-2022, 06:11 AM
My dad use to be the guy that ran the "family corner" at BTG for close to 15 years, I pretty much grew up there lol. It's something I still can't quite get my head around, going to the football and not going up to BTG and chilling for a few hours before the games, although towards the end it was basically dead.

The club neglected it a lot at that period in time, went from having food available, both bars open and plenty to distract the kids. Towards the end you were lucky if there was 2 bartenders in the one open bar, the food disappeared, Petrie stopped coming up, as he use to before every game and basically it became a massive burden for the club to even open. Shame as when they done the Crabbies upgrades to it I truly thought it would get a bigger push. There use to be weekly Youth players that would come get pictures with the kids, occasionally first-team players and the odd coaching staff member.

A good model would be something similar to what is seen in the Wrexham doc. They opened an in-stadium bar and it's effectively packed before every game. Shame as a free alternative to the hospitality would be great. Wouldn't even need great food. It was brilliant when there were Pies, chips and curry etc, doesn't need to be hospitality-type food and drink, just pub/football style.

Billy Whizz
26-10-2022, 10:04 AM
My dad use to be the guy that ran the "family corner" at BTG for close to 15 years, I pretty much grew up there lol. It's something I still can't quite get my head around, going to the football and not going up to BTG and chilling for a few hours before the games, although towards the end it was basically dead.

The club neglected it a lot at that period in time, went from having food available, both bars open and plenty to distract the kids. Towards the end you were lucky if there was 2 bartenders in the one open bar, the food disappeared, Petrie stopped coming up, as he use to before every game and basically it became a massive burden for the club to even open. Shame as when they done the Crabbies upgrades to it I truly thought it would get a bigger push. There use to be weekly Youth players that would come get pictures with the kids, occasionally first-team players and the odd coaching staff member.

A good model would be something similar to what is seen in the Wrexham doc. They opened an in-stadium bar and it's effectively packed before every game. Shame as a free alternative to the hospitality would be great. Wouldn't even need great food. It was brilliant when there were Pies, chips and curry etc, doesn't need to be hospitality-type food and drink, just pub/football style.

Cameron, was it your dad that used to bring in the Bar Football games etc, if it was I remember him. Well done to him doing all this as a volunteer

Hibbyradge
26-10-2022, 11:18 AM
Who gets access to the Albion Bar? Can anyone from any stand get in, assuming they're members, or is it just for folk in the West?

I'd have thought that a second area in the FF would need to be open to anyone to make it viable and if that's what happens, it'll have to cost £200 too.

Ringothedog
26-10-2022, 11:41 AM
Who gets access to the Albion Bar? Can anyone from any stand get in, assuming they're members, or is it just for folk in the West?

I'd have thought that a second area in the FF would need to be open to anyone to make it viable and if that's what happens, it'll have to cost £200 too.

Anybody as long as you are a member

Pretty Boy
26-10-2022, 12:07 PM

I'm not sure it does have to cost £200.

I would argue the perk of the cost for the Albion bar is that it's guaranteed entry and at a capped number so you can expect a certain level of service that is uniform across the season. A bit like when you pay extra for a premium enclosure at a racecourse and get access to exclusive bars that are quieter than for those who have paid the standard entrance.

A revamped BTG could be free to enter but on a 1st come, 1st served basis. When it's full then tough and you can't really complain because you know the score. I'm not sure a free to enter stadium bar would draw custom away from the Albion Bar offering. There's countless free to enter bars within a 5-15 minute walk of ER but people have still chosen to pay £200 to enter a cash bar, the appeal of the AB must be that level of exclusivity and also the fact that the money helps the club.

If we are talking about 2 different offerings then 2 different price points is fair enough imo.

Sir David Gray
26-10-2022, 12:36 PM

I would argue the perk of the cost for the Albion bar is that it's guaranteed entry and at a capped number so you can expect a certain level of service that is uniform across the season. A bit like when you pay extra for a premium enclosure at a racecourse and get access to exclusive bars that are quieter than for those who have paid the standard entrance.

A revamped BTG could be free to enter but on a 1st come, 1st served basis. When it's full then tough and you can't really complain because you know the score. I'm not sure a free to enter stadium bar would draw custom away from the Albion Bar offering. There's countless free to enter bars within a 5-15 minute walk of ER but people have still chosen to pay £200 to enter a cash bar, the appeal of the AB must be that level of exclusivity and also the fact that the money helps the club.

If we are talking about 2 different offerings then 2 different price points is fair enough imo.

Agreed.

NAE NOOKIE
26-10-2022, 01:11 PM

Good points here. As you alluded to the attraction of the Albion bar will be that numbers are capped and so there's no fear of turning up and finding it rammed with no prospect of getting a table or having to queue for ages to get served .... given what an issue that can be in the pubs surrounding Easter Road that's probably worth £200 of anybody's money.

The hope for the FF would be a bar where even though there's a limit on capacity it works on a first come first served basis, not just accessible for season ticket holders but anybody who has a match ticket for the home stands, but as you say Hibs will be encouraged by the success of the Albion and will probably look to do something similar in the FF. What might be a compromise is simply a bar, no food apart from crisps, nuts and pickled eggs :greengrin with a membership fee of £50 or at worst £100 ..... as folk who don't make it to Edinburgh until around an hour and a half before KO I can't remember the last time we got into the pub and found a table, I guess most of us would be prepared to pay around £50, max £100, to guarantee somewhere to sit for an hour or so every other Saturday.

cameronw-hfc
26-10-2022, 03:12 PM
Cameron, was it your dad that used to bring in the Bar Football games etc, if it was I remember him. Well done to him doing all this as a volunteer

Yep, use to sort the games for the kids and the play station etc and put it all away before every game.

Brightside
26-10-2022, 04:04 PM

The Albion is better than I expected. Service is excellent. Plenty space. Chance to bump into the players pre and post game. I think whatever they decide to do in BtG they will end up putting some sort of charge on it. Simply because it’s an earner for them.

Hibbyradge
26-10-2022, 04:10 PM
£200 equates to roughly £10 per game assuming that we get a couple of home cup ties.

That does seem a lot to pay on top of the price of a couple of drinks. It works out at circa £10 a pint if you only have 2. That's nearly George Street prices! :wink

But, reports say it's successful so what do I know?

Hibs3-2
27-10-2022, 07:15 AM
The pints we got in Albion bar, before going up to pioneers floor, were some of the worst pints ive ever seen in my life. Absolutely dead and it seemed we werent the only ones with such pints. Not cheap either

When we went up to the Pioneers floor it seemed it was a hit or miss whether your pint had any life in it or not. Not to mention the poor service. Overall our group werent really impressed

One Day
27-10-2022, 07:21 AM
It is a waste that its lying empty, hopefully it will be put to a good use shortly

matty_f
27-10-2022, 01:21 PM
£200 equates to roughly £10 per game assuming that we get a couple of home cup ties.

That does seem a lot to pay on top of the price of a couple of drinks. It works out at circa £10 a pint if you only have 2. That's nearly George Street prices! :wink

But, reports say it's successful so what do I know?

There’s a waiting list on the Albion Bar, apparently. The club think it’ll be years before it’s available for general sale again because they’re confident folk will renew. I had a look around yesterday at the hospitality offering and at every tier on their offering, it looks fantastic.

Hibs have done a great job on the upgrade, I would expect them (not based on any information) to replicate the Albion Bar offering as much as possible, and I wouldn’t blame them - it looks like it’s worth every penny and I’m just gutted o don’t have the cash to justify the membership cost to the mrs!

NAE NOOKIE
27-10-2022, 01:50 PM
The pints we got in Albion bar, before going up to pioneers floor, were some of the worst pints ive ever seen in my life. Absolutely dead and it seemed we werent the only ones with such pints. Not cheap either

When we went up to the Pioneers floor it seemed it was a hit or miss whether your pint had any life in it or not. Not to mention the poor service. Overall our group werent really impressed

That seems to be totally at odds with other folks stated experience of both lounges mate .... how do they compare to what Hearts have? I'm guessing you're the man to ask.

hibeg
27-10-2022, 01:51 PM
There’s a waiting list on the Albion Bar, apparently. The club think it’ll be years before it’s available for general sale again because they’re confident folk will renew. I had a look around yesterday at the hospitality offering and at every tier on their offering, it looks fantastic.

Hibs have done a great job on the upgrade, I would expect them (not based on any information) to replicate the Albion Bar offering as much as possible, and I wouldn’t blame them - it looks like it’s worth every penny and I’m just gutted o don’t have the cash to justify the membership cost to the mrs!

Yes I was just going to post the same because of the waiting list.
I would assume the spaces would be taken up quickly for Albion Bar 2

GreenCastle
27-10-2022, 02:01 PM
Was there not talk of community foundation having the FF stand space ?

Not sure but hopefully a compromise to have for fans meeting before games and a community aspect.

Said before ideal situation would be doors at back of FF lower where fans can walk straight into seats - obviously without booze etc.

CentreLine
27-10-2022, 02:24 PM

I definitely plan to renew, it is such a good experience pre and post match, not to mention the half time pint. The experience softens the blow when things are not going so well on the park too. All that from someone who was ready to pack it all in at the end of last season.
From conversations in there with board members, there are definitely plans for something similar in the FF

hibeg
27-10-2022, 02:38 PM
I definitely plan to renew, it is such a good experience pre and post match, not to mention the half time pint. The experience softens the blow when things are not going so well on the park too. All that from someone who was ready to pack it all in at the end of last season.
From conversations in there with board members, there are definitely plans for something similar in the FF
Good,because I’m on the waiting list :thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
27-10-2022, 04:53 PM
Good,because I’m on the waiting list :thumbsup:

You can buy a ticket as a one off for the Sauzee match and the Middlesbrough friendly, if you want to try it out

hibeg
27-10-2022, 05:04 PM
You can buy a ticket as a one off for the Sauzee match and the Middlesbrough friendly, if you want to try it out

For the Albion Bar ? Didn’t know that !
How much are they ?

Billy Whizz
27-10-2022, 05:06 PM
For the Albion Bar ? Didn’t know that !
How much are they ?

Middlesbrough is £20 and Sauzee game is £30
This doesn’t include match tickets
It’s on Hibs ticket site to buy

hibeg
27-10-2022, 05:34 PM

Cheers Billy. Won’t be at either game, but good to know the extra on top of the normal ticket price !

Jones28
27-10-2022, 06:36 PM

This is the first negative feedback I’ve seen on here or Twitter about the Albion bar.

Might be worth passing it on to the club? I’m sure they want to hear everything, positives and negatives.

Liberton_Hibs
27-10-2022, 06:52 PM
I sent back 2 dead pints of tennents on Friday in albion, changed for innes and gunn lager without any fuss and at no extra cost, been in twice this season and would defo return.

Hibbyradge
27-10-2022, 07:40 PM

Amazing.

What makes it so good?

LustForLeith
27-10-2022, 07:56 PM
Was there not talk of community foundation having the FF stand space ?

Not sure but hopefully a compromise to have for fans meeting before games and a community aspect.

Said before ideal situation would be doors at back of FF lower where fans can walk straight into seats - obviously without booze etc.

It’s currently being used by the community foundation. I’ve helped our host events for mental health drops in there before matches.

Funny as in one of the games there must have been about four older guys all by themselves looking for somewhere to go.

If I was Hibs I’d look to have an area for the foundation before games for those who don’t want to drink

Hibs3-2
27-10-2022, 11:26 PM
This is the first negative feedback I’ve seen on here or Twitter about the Albion bar.

Might be worth passing it on to the club? I’m sure they want to hear everything, positives and negatives.

Our group of 10 spoke to members of staff regarding the issues. Half the table waiting for soup whilst others were starting to get served their mains also wasnt a good look

Pioneers unable to get a pint at HT (due to visibility of the pitch i believe) however the cheaper tornadoes package were able to have pints at HT. Should be the other way around IMO however due to layout of the floors im not sure how this would work.

Hibs3-2
27-10-2022, 11:27 PM
That seems to be totally at odds with other folks stated experience of both lounges mate .... how do they compare to what Hearts have? I'm guessing you're the man to ask.

Standard response to a poster “not known”.

Hibbyradge
27-10-2022, 11:38 PM
Standard response to a poster “not known”.

It was a question, no?

Brightside
28-10-2022, 07:27 AM
I sent back 2 dead pints of tennents on Friday in albion, changed for innes and gunn lager without any fuss and at no extra cost, been in twice this season and would defo return.

There was a couple of new bar staff this week that didn’t know how to pour the pints properly tbh. Was quickly rectified.

Rumble de Thump
29-10-2022, 07:12 AM

A seat in the west stand is included.

matty_f
29-10-2022, 11:23 AM
We were in last night for an event and it was top class, the staff couldn’t have been more accommodating, drinks were lovely and the place was immaculate.