PDA

View Full Version : Magennis

Diclonius
24-10-2022, 07:33 AM
Up until the sending off I'd had him down as one of our top performers on the night and in general having a good comeback from injury.

The red card was a moment of madness but the guy's been out of professional footballer for over a year. Can't help but feel some of the reactions were over the top.

OldEast
24-10-2022, 07:35 AM
Up until the sending off I'd had him down as one of our top performers on the night and in general having a good comeback from injury.

The red card was a moment of madness but the guy's been out of professional footballer for over a year. Can't help but feel some of the reactions were over the top.

I agree, mad bloody tackle but was tiring badly and should have been off.

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2022, 07:35 AM
It's extremely frustrating, but yes, **** happens.

I get so bloody annoyed at 2nd bookings for fouls in harmless areas. Simply not thinking.

Needs to come back and do better than that.

JimBHibees
24-10-2022, 07:54 AM
Thought he was excellent. Shame for the guy but these things happen especially with a card happy ref. His first yellow was never a booking and said it all when both mortally wounded Saints players sprinted back into the action.

Forza Fred
24-10-2022, 07:57 AM
I agree, mad bloody tackle but was tiring badly and should have been off.

LJ addressed this…..said the continuous data he was getting when on the sideline indicated that far from tiring his physical indicators were higher than most of the team that’s why he kept him on.

His tackle was stupid…for whatever reason, and hopefully he’ll learn from it.

I’m mor worried about Joe Newell seeing red….just about every challenge he seems to have his hands on his opponent, and one day that will bite him.

OldEast
24-10-2022, 08:22 AM
LJ addressed this…..said the continuous data he was getting when on the sideline indicated that far from tiring his physical indicators were higher than most of the team that’s why he kept him on.

I’m mor worried about Joe Newell seeing red….just about every challenge he seems to have his hands on his opponent, and one day that will bite him.

Maybe physical indicators looked good because he was pushing himself to the absolute limit. I'd prefer if LJ used his eyes.

MWHIBBIES
24-10-2022, 08:24 AM
Maybe physical indicators looked good because he was pushing himself to the absolute limit. I'd prefer if LJ used his eyes.

Kyle doesn't make a stupid challenge because he's tired. It's because he was stupid. Didn't think he looked tired at all.

OldEast
24-10-2022, 08:30 AM
Kyle doesn't make a stupid challenge because he's tired. It's because he was stupid. Didn't think he looked tired at all.

I thought he was looking tired but I'm basing my comments more on LJ saying pre match that he hoped to get 60-70 minutes from Magennis, suggesting he thought he's not fully up to speed yet.
Anyway we can all agree it was an awful stupid tackle.

Frogga
24-10-2022, 08:32 AM
I agree. Really positive performance, a little bit McGinn-like at times. We've really lacked a CM who can drive us forwards and cut through the midfield and I thought he showed glimpses of being that player.

Callum_62
24-10-2022, 08:33 AM
There's also a mental tiredness that can cause silly decisions

No doubt his tackle on Murphy was meant as a block tackle but he made a complete hash of it

He was one of our better players though and didn't seem to be holding back at all (can happen on the back of a long injury)

Frustrating to lose him again for such a silly decision but positive signs none the less

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
24-10-2022, 08:33 AM

Pretty much my thoughts. Blaming the manager for not taking him off is silly. Magennis 100% to blame for making a tackle in a nothing area.

macca70
24-10-2022, 08:41 AM
Crazy to get himself sent off, especially when he was already on a booking and probably due to be subbed very shortly.

Have never seen a game change so much due to a red card, although it was only 1-0, we were comfortable.

I dont think it helped that we had just taken off Kukharevych. With 10 men, i'm sure the preference would have been to have him as a lone striker rather than Youan.

Mon Dieu4
24-10-2022, 08:46 AM
I didn't even think it was that bad a tackle, ref couldn't wait to send him off, Stevie May attempted a worse tackle on Porto in the second half which didn't connect and the ref didn't even care

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2022, 08:47 AM
Crazy to get himself sent off, especially when he was already on a booking and probably due to be subbed very shortly.

Have never seen a game change so much due to a red card, although it was only 1-0, we were comfortable.

I dont think it helped that we had just taken off Kukharevych. With 10 men, i'm sure the preference would have been to have him as a lone striker rather than Youan.

Big Mike had been booked and continued to foul opposition players

Stubbsy90+2
24-10-2022, 08:49 AM

:agree:

Pretty much how I seen it. Stupid tackle, nothing more, nothing less. Not in any way LJs fault.

Stubbsy90+2
24-10-2022, 08:50 AM
I didn't even think it was that bad a tackle, ref couldn't wait to send him off, Stevie May attempted a worse tackle on Porto in the second half which didn't connect and the ref didn't even care

I thought the same at the game but having seen it back it’s a clear yellow for me.

I thought his first one was a booking as well tbh.

macca70
24-10-2022, 08:54 AM
Big Mike had been booked and continued to foul opposition players

Yeah, and not expecting LJ to see into the future that the red card was coming, just extremely unfortunate circumstances that we'd just taken him off as i'm sure if we'd gone down to 10 before he'd gone off, he'd have been kept on as much more effective at holding the ball up than Youan but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2022, 09:14 AM
Yeah, and not expecting LJ to see into the future that the red card was coming, just extremely unfortunate circumstances that we'd just taken him off as i'm sure if we'd gone down to 10 before he'd gone off, he'd have been kept on as much more effective at holding the ball up than Youan but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
On reflection wasn’t so much continued to foul opposition players more every time he went into a challenge the award was always given to a blue jersey probably safer to take him off as a precaution

Don’t get me started on Youan :greengrin

Hibbyradge
24-10-2022, 09:34 AM
When does his ban kick in?

snedzuk
24-10-2022, 09:43 AM

He did address that. What he didn't address was that, if Magennis' stats were fine, whose were poor and why werent THEY subbed, because McKirdy and Tavares only came on once we were seriously chasing the game. For a guy who has been quick to make subs and plenty of them, he seemed pretty reluctant on Friday night.

Since452
24-10-2022, 10:32 AM
Kyle knew he'd ****ed up as soon as he made the tackle. Was all over his face. He let his teammates down but like the OP said, he had been having a very good game. He's only human, he made a mistake. What's done is done. On a positive note it's great to see him return in the same form as before his injury. Very good player who'll be a major asset for the rest of the season.

OstKurve Hibs
24-10-2022, 10:38 AM

Have to agree with this and also the point about lacking sharpness because hes been out so long.
A bit of verbal communication at a break in play to see how hes feelin would be better than relying on a computer.

loanheadhibby
24-10-2022, 11:50 AM
Absolutely idiotic from Magennis. Let us down big time.

However, ref was card happy. We got 6 yellows for their 1. Magennis 2 yellows included.

Given that we were doing so much of the attacking, how did we get so many players booked!

Forza Fred
24-10-2022, 12:06 PM

He did.

Donegal Hibby
24-10-2022, 12:19 PM
Absolutely idiotic from Magennis. Let us down big time.

However, ref was card happy. We got 6 yellows for their 1. Magennis 2 yellows included.

Given that we were doing so much of the attacking, how did we get so many players booked!
Still can't understand how we had so many booked myself. Magennis first one was very harsh imo and Mckirdys one is one of life's great mysteries to me. I actually thought Magennis was playing very well up in till he was sent off .I agree he was silly with the late tackle when he knew he was already on a yellow .Though there only human too . As for the referee if it hadn't been Magennis that was sent off I'm sure he would have found another player in green and white to dismiss .That's the feeling I got watching it anyhow

JimBHibees
24-10-2022, 12:20 PM

One game Saturday

JimBHibees
24-10-2022, 12:22 PM
Still can't understand how we had so many booked myself. Magennis first one was very harsh imo and Mckirdys one is one of life's great mysteries to me. I actually thought Magennis was playing very well up in till he was sent off .I agree he was silly with the late tackle when he knew he was already on a yellow .Though there only human too . As for the referee if it hadn't been Magennis that was sent off I'm sure he would have found another player in green and white to dismiss .That's the feeling I got watching it anyhow

Yep every Hibs foul seemed to be a booking. Mckirdys yellows are about as many as the minutes he has been on the park :greengrin

Sir David Gray
24-10-2022, 12:24 PM

He'll miss St Mirren on Saturday and will be back for Aberdeen away.

neil7908
24-10-2022, 12:33 PM
Yup. Red card was daft but delighted to have him back and think he will be crucial this year.

If we can get Nisbet back and playing like we know he can I'll be feeling a lot more confident.

bigwheel
24-10-2022, 12:46 PM
Yup. Red card was daft but delighted to have him back and think he will be crucial this year.

If we can get Nisbet back and playing like we know he can I'll be feeling a lot more confident.

He’s looking a quality player isn’t he …will be a great addition

hibsbollah
24-10-2022, 12:50 PM
He was my MOTM until the sending off, I thought he did everything well. He’s going to be a big player for us. It’s LJs job to work out how to use him best, and how he slots in with Newell Campbell and Kenneh

Donegal Hibby
24-10-2022, 12:53 PM
Yep every Hibs foul seemed to be a booking. Mckirdys yellows are about as many as the minutes he has been on the park :greengrin
Maybe he will start his arrow celebration for yellow cards so we can see it :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
24-10-2022, 01:02 PM
His red card was a wee bit of a brain fart. But I agree with the OP Magennis was having a good game before he got sent off and that was encouraging on the back of him showing up really well in the games before his injury curse struck again.

There's no doubt an on form and fit Magennis will be a real boon to our midfield and before the end of the season probably recognised as the most vital cog in it, the guy you don't want to see missing from the team sheet.

basehibby
24-10-2022, 01:09 PM
On reflection wasn’t so much continued to foul opposition players more every time he went into a challenge the award was always given to a blue...

That's how I saw it as well. Have seen it before from other poor refs where a player is consistently punished simply for being big and strong. I recall one incident in particular inin the centre circle when Myko was clearly fouled but rode the challenge. Result: free kick to St Johnstone.

basehibby
24-10-2022, 01:12 PM
NB - brilliant to see Magennis back despite his brain fart moment. On reviewing the highlights there was little to argue about either of his bookings. Up to that point though he was playing very well.

Ozyhibby
24-10-2022, 02:29 PM
I like the look of Magennis. The type of midfielder I can enjoy watching.
He’s well and truly in the red when it come to value for money in his time here though and Friday night has only made that situation worse. Needs to start contributing soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loanheadhibby
24-10-2022, 05:10 PM
Thought he was excellent. Shame for the guy but these things happen especially with a card happy ref. His first yellow was never a booking and said it all when both mortally wounded Saints players sprinted back into the action.
His first yellow was a stonewaller.

Steven1985
24-10-2022, 05:42 PM
His first yellow was a stonewaller. He'd have got away with those challenges in the 70's. Both were yellows and he deserved to walk. In the EPL the 2nd one might have got him a straight red. Give him a break though. He's been out for a long time and finding his feet again. Top player IMO.

NC1875
24-10-2022, 05:42 PM
His first yellow was a stonewaller.

No it wasn’t.

Steven1985
24-10-2022, 05:55 PM
No it wasn’t. Depends on who's rules you play by. In the EPL, stonewall yellow. In the SPL against Rangers / Celtic stonewall pen no matter where on the pitch.

Skol
24-10-2022, 06:48 PM

No. The physical indicators would show exactly that. They will know his max heart rate and the various zones he operates in. If he was pushing himself that would be clear in the data. If he was too tired to push himself that would also show in the data.

Unseen work
24-10-2022, 07:08 PM
Thought he played well, some really good bits of play where he’s turned his man or burst past them with speed and power. Would like to see him a little bit more involved but that’s only natural given the length of time he’s been out.

For his first start in over a year he can be really happy with his performance.

1st booking - Not a booking for me as he pulled out the challenge. That’s maybe just down to me and hating that you get booking for very little now a days, struggle to make a chsllenge.

2nd booking - idiotic and wasn’t even on to do what he done.

Showed no signs of tiring to me either, there was 3 separate occaisions minutes before it down our right where he either stopped the cross after tracking back or tackled the winger himself. He also burst into their box for a shot which he was unlucky with.

The tackle was just stupid, it’s not like someone ran away from him because he was tired. Think folk will be blaming LJ as he said before the game 60-70 minutes and it was the 70th. But things change and he was doing well, no signs of tiredness or a silly tackle coming

Steven1985
24-10-2022, 07:19 PM
Thought he played well, some really good bits of play where he’s turned his man or burst past them with speed and power. Would like to see him a little bit more involved but that’s only natural given the length of time he’s been out.

For his first start in over a year he can be really happy with his performance.

1st booking - Not a booking for me as he pulled out the challenge. That’s maybe just down to me and hating that you get booking for very little now a days, struggle to make a chsllenge.

2nd booking - idiotic and wasn’t even on to do what he done.

Showed no signs of tiring to me either, there was 3 separate occaisions minutes before it down our right where he either stopped the cross after tracking back or tackled the winger himself. He also burst into their box for a shot which he was unlucky with.

The tackle was just stupid, it’s not like someone ran away from him because he was tired. Think folk will be blaming LJ as he said before the game 60-70 minutes and it was the 70th. But things change and he was doing well, no signs of tiredness or a silly tackle coming Just a bit rusty "mind wise" for me. He had a good game and looked fit. Just a couple of daft challenges that he probably wouldn't have made at 100%

GreenNWhiteArmy
24-10-2022, 09:07 PM
Red card aside, I'm absolutely buzzing to see him back

Get through to the WC break unscathed. Him, Nisbet and McGeady to come back fully fit in January.

Very optimistic

Lago
25-10-2022, 10:30 AM
Depends on who's rules you play by. In the EPL, stonewall yellow. In the SPL against Rangers / Celtic stonewall pen no matter where on the pitch.
Disagree, Refs in the EPL advise to allow more contact and tackling in the games, which has most certainly been apparent this season.

evy
25-10-2022, 11:23 AM
Have to agree with this and also the point about lacking sharpness because hes been out so long.
A bit of verbal communication at a break in play to see how hes feelin would be better than relying on a computer.

The player could be toiling and just lie to the gaffer and say he's fine :dunno:

JimBHibees
25-10-2022, 01:01 PM

Whose to say that didnt happen anyway. Kyle looked strong to me and it is easy in hindsight to say he should have been subbed. The number of yellows we picked up might have meant having to sub half the outfield players.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-10-2022, 04:09 AM
He’s looking a quality player isn’t he …will be a great addition

lit is however the internet so you’ll have folks having written him off/ longing for his return / slating the performance / praising the performance / someone being daft / someone being random / etc.