PDA

View Full Version : Goalies wearing caps

Iain G
23-10-2022, 08:42 PM
Catching up on Match of the Day and Dean Henderson was wearing a cap due to the sunshine for Forest. It's not something I have seen for ages and it's oddly nostalgic.

Why done goalies wear caps more often? I noticed that Marshall was being blinded by the sun at the Motherwell game but no cap!

Irish_Steve
23-10-2022, 08:51 PM
A few years back when Joe Hart was playing for West Ham in a cup tie against Shrewsbury Town (his local team), he had to borrow a cap from a Shrewsbury fan so he could see!

bingo70
23-10-2022, 08:54 PM
Catching up on Match of the Day and Dean Henderson was wearing a cap due to the sunshine for Forest. It's not something I have seen for ages and it's oddly nostalgic.

Why done goalies wear caps more often? I noticed that Marshall was being blinded by the sun at the Motherwell game but no cap!

Some goalies don’t like it as when they do get a glimpse of the sun from beneath the cap it can take your eyes a wee bit time to adjust again. Some just prefer to let their eyes get used to it and adjust accordingly.

I think some also just find the cap a distraction and sort of distorts their normal lines of vision.

Seem to remember the Kilmarnock goalie years ago having a howler with the sun despite wearing a cap, think he was maybe from Yugoslavia or something? Am I making that up?

Mick O'Rourke
23-10-2022, 09:29 PM
Some goalies don’t like it as when they do get a glimpse of the sun from beneath the cap it can take your eyes a wee bit time to adjust again. Some just prefer to let their eyes get used to it and adjust accordingly.

I think some also just find the cap a distraction and sort of distorts their normal lines of vision.

Seem to remember the Kilmarnock goalie years ago having a howler with the sun despite wearing a cap, think he was maybe from Yugoslavia or something? Am I making that up?

It seems goalies now cannot just wear any old cap they might have in the wardrobe at home.
A baseball cap would be inspected by the referee/official to make sure it was safe !

Jim Herriot of the Tornadoes use to put earth/mud under his eyes.
Tommy Younger wore a cloth bunnet.

Photos of goalies wae bunnets on the link below.
John Burridge has a nifty wee number to keep the sun out !

https://the18.com/en/soccer-entertainment/lists/photographic-history-goalies-with-hats

overdrive
23-10-2022, 09:43 PM
I think Henderson quite often wears a cap. Pretty sure Hart often wears one too.

gbhibby
23-10-2022, 10:14 PM
https://images.app.goo.gl/xQFkUitQ3GhUy1jo7
This is the only goalkeeper caps that should be allowed none of the American baseball cap nonsense

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Mick O'Rourke
23-10-2022, 10:28 PM
A few years back when Joe Hart was playing for West Ham in a cup tie against Shrewsbury Town (his local team), he had to borrow a cap from a Shrewsbury fan so he could see!

That very game and response from the fan is on the link i gave in my previous post.
Plus photo of Joe wearing said cap.
Amazing stats too about our own John Burridge.
Oldest player in English Premier history age* 43
29 clubs !!
Budgie is now 70 !

CyberSauzee
24-10-2022, 06:59 PM
That very game and response from the fan is on the link i gave in my previous post.
29 clubs !!
Budgie is now 70 !

That reminds me of the story in Davie Farrell's book about Budgie throwing a tantrum at Airdrie (iirc?).

Budgie loved his old style goalie jersey, but when we got a sponsor he was told to wear the sponsored one. He threatened not to play and had an argument with Miller over it. Budgie won! Does anyone recall Budgie's jersey?

Glory Lurker
24-10-2022, 07:12 PM
Subbuteo goalies with caps were pretty fancy things

Irish_Steve
24-10-2022, 07:23 PM
That reminds me of the story in Davie Farrell's book about Budgie throwing a tantrum at Airdrie (iirc?).

Budgie loved his old style goalie jersey, but when we got a sponsor he was told to wear the sponsored one. He threatened not to play and had an argument with Miller over it. Budgie won! Does anyone recall Budgie's jersey?

It wasn't at Easter Rd was it. I have a very vague memory of the team coming out wearing the sponsored top but Budgie's was blank, just yellow?

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2022, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=CyberSauzee;7139594]That reminds me of the story in Davie Farrell's book about Budgie throwing a tantrum at Airdrie (iirc?).

Budgie loved his old style goalie jersey, but when we got a sponsor he was told to wear the sponsored one. He threatened not to play and had an argument with Miller over it. Budgie won! Does anyone recall Budgie's jersey?[/https://i.ibb.co/KD5Zcn6/E6-D4-B899-AA96-4-A9-B-A57-F-22145-F7-C4025.png (https://ibb.co/Sc6TDSN)

hibsbollah
24-10-2022, 07:59 PM
I remember Richard Lee on his podcast saying when he played he was worried that attackers would knock it up or down at corners and obscure vision, even if not actually successful, it would break your focus. A bit unlikely but I suppose pros are trying to control every possibility.

Mick O'Rourke
24-10-2022, 08:14 PM
Good recall from you guys regards Budgie falling out with Miller over sponsored top.
Found the following in Herald archive.
Copied the incident you refer too..

Feb 1993

THE dispute between Hibernian and keeper John Burridge edged closer to a final separation yesterday.
The 41-year-old goalkeeper, a hero of Hibs' Skol Cup success last season, was ditched by manager Alex Miller

The trouble began when the former Newcastle keeper refused to wear the official club jersey at Airdrie in November, preferring to use one of his own.

Burridge, who is in the sportswear business, claimed the club's''nylon type'' material made clutching the ball more difficult than it would have done with his heavier jersey.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12620205.final-jersey-twist-in-the-hibs-row-with-burridge/

"Budgie in the sportswear business"

I mind hearing that when Budgie would turn up for training on a Monday,after being back home for a day or two,he would have all sorts of gear/swag in the boot of his car for the players to see and maybe buy.
Hibernian's own Del Trotter.!

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2022, 08:22 PM
Good recall from you guys regards Budgie falling out with Miller over sponsored top.
Found the following in Herald archive.
Copied the incident you refer too..

Feb 1993

THE dispute between Hibernian and keeper John Burridge edged closer to a final separation yesterday.
The 41-year-old goalkeeper, a hero of Hibs' Skol Cup success last season, was ditched by manager Alex Miller

The trouble began when the former Newcastle keeper refused to wear the official club jersey at Airdrie in November, preferring to use one of his own.

Burridge, who is in the sportswear business, claimed the club's''nylon type'' material made clutching the ball more difficult than it would have done with his heavier jersey.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12620205.final-jersey-twist-in-the-hibs-row-with-burridge/

"Budgie in the sportswear business"

I mind hearing that when Budgie would turn up for training on a Monday,after being back home for a day or two,he would have all sorts of gear/swag in the boot of his car for the players to see and maybe buy.
Hibernian's own Del Trotter.!

Pretty sure I read he had a push bike tied up at Waverley Station for the short journey down Leith Walk and that worked out fine until someone decided to take a dump in his helmet ( allegedly) :greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
24-10-2022, 08:36 PM
Pretty sure I read he had a push bike tied up at Waverley Station for the short journey down Leith Walk and that worked out fine until someone decided to take a dump in his helmet ( allegedly) :greengrin

Surprised if he left his bike at the station,the helmet was still there when he returned.
Think that story is a load of crap :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
24-10-2022, 08:46 PM
Surprised if he left his bike at the station,the helmet was still there when he returned.
Think that story is a load of crap :greengrin
:greengrin

This article also features his own brand of goalie tops

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9025781/Hibs-legend-John-Burridge-reveals-b-fan-Hearts-s-motorbike-helmet.html

Mick O'Rourke
24-10-2022, 09:29 PM
:greengrin

This article also features his own brand of goalie tops

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9025781/Hibs-legend-John-Burridge-reveals-b-fan-Hearts-s-motorbike-helmet.html

Budgie wisnae the tallest goalie we've had ,but he could sure tell a tall tale.

EricM
24-10-2022, 09:43 PM
Did Jim Leighton not use great big clods of vasoline on his eyebrows to keep the sun out of his eyes?

I’ve always been sceptical that it would work

bingo70
24-10-2022, 09:55 PM
Did Jim Leighton not use great big clods of vasoline on his eyebrows to keep the sun out of his eyes?

I’ve always been sceptical that it would work

Think that was to keep the sweat out his eyes, not the sun

Iain G
24-10-2022, 10:27 PM
Think that was to keep the sweat out his eyes, not the sun

And the rain probably 🤣

basehibby
24-10-2022, 11:27 PM
29 clubs !!
Budgie is now 70 !

Here's the story linked off that article focusing on Budgie's warm up routine - enjoy.

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/the-oldest-premier-league-player-all-time-john-burridge

hibstag
25-10-2022, 09:12 AM

There are a few images on the Internet of budgie in uhisports goalie tops that have had hibs badges and sponsor added. He featured in a classic football kits article about mixed kits

BILLYHIBS
25-10-2022, 09:59 AM
Anyone remember Jim Herriot ?

Used to put mud on his cheeks to reflect the glare from the floodlights American Football style on the advice of Jock Stein I believe

Didnae bother with gloves but I remember he had a white pair that more resembled gardening gloves that he kept inside an equally tatty white cap in case the sun came oot

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/interview-former-scotland-and-hibs-no-1-jim-herriot-on-meeting-the-author-and-vet-who-took-his-name-and-why-he-rubbed-mud-on-his-face-before-games-2682711