PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St Johnstone 21 10 22)

Jonnyboy
21-10-2022, 10:51 PM
I was really looking forward to tonight – a full stadium, playing under the floodlights and the hope that we’d come back from the Celtic reversal by playing front foot, attacking football. Then of course there was the introduction of VAR but to be fair, I got the first two and an hour of the third before the wheels came off and the stadium started emptying out with around ten minutes left. VAR played its part, and had it not been in place, Hibs would have won a late penalty which, if converted, would probably earn a point.

Lee Johnson made three changes to his starting eleven with Kenneh, McKirdy and Stevenson dropped to the bench to be replaced by Cabraja, Bushiri and Magennis, the last named making his first start since returning from long term injury. Three at the back meant Cadden and Cabraja playing out wide with Boyle up top alongside Kuharevich.

Hibs started really well and in the space of the first few minutes, Kuharevich twice tested Remi Matthews with the Saints keeper blocking both attempts. On the front foot, Hibs were pressing hard and there was a loud claim for a penalty when Boyle appeared to be bundled over in the box, but referee Kevin Clancy decided it was simulation and booked the Hibs man. Moments later, Cadden fed the ball to Boyle, but the resultant shot flew wide of the post. Around the fifteen minute mark, Kuharevich showed some neat footwork to bamboozle Considine, but the strikers shot cleared the bar.

The visitors were offering very little in terms of attacking until McLennan blazed over from about twenty yards. After committing a couple of fouls, Kuharevich was booked by referee Clancy for persistent fouling which annoyed me because Saints defender McGowan had fouled the big Hibs striker on three or four occasions before that. On the half hour, a Magennis shot flew over the bar but five minutes later, Hibs took the lead their play deserved. Kuharevich won an aerial duel with Considine, heading the ball wide to Boyle. Martin’s first cross was poor, and the ball came back out to the right foot of Cadden who delivered a cracking cross onto the head of Kuharevich with the big striker heading home past the helpless Matthews.

The goal brought the issue of VAR into play and there was a short delay before it was stated as good. I understand the VAR in Glasgow would be looking at the various stages of play to ensure no fouls were committed in the build-up. Hibs were looking to get a second before the break as St Johnstone players did their best to prevent that, sometimes by foul means and at last Kevin Clancy had seen one too many and booked James Brown.

Hibs made no changes at the break, but the visitors replaced the ineffective Adam Montgomery with Stevie May. The new arrival took up the wide left berth and Saints looked to find him at every opportunity. Three minutes in and Campbell fed Newell, but Joe’s strong right footed effort was deflected for a corner. The visitors defended the corner well and broke away with the ball eventually reaching May who shot straight at Marshall. I’m pretty sure that was their first shot on target. A few minutes later, Magennis was booked for a crude challenge on James Brown before Brown himself pulled down Chris Cadden. It was a poor challenge with Brown already on a yellow, but referee Clancy was not minded to issue a second.

A good save by Matthews denied Magennis as the Hibs man sought the far corner but saw his effort palmed behind for a corner. Just past the hour mark, Kuharevich, who was having a fine game, was replaced by Youan and I confess that unless the big fella was injured, I have no idea why he was subbed off. That change meant Hibs now had no real focal point up front and so any crosses into the box were pointless. As Kuharevich headed off, St Johnstone replaced Mitchell and Wright with Murphy and Wotherspoon and then a few minutes later, Boyle skipped to the touchline and cut the ball back to Youan on the penalty spot but the resultant effort on goal went straight to Matthews with both sides of the goal wide open. Next in the book was Josh Campbell for a foul on McLennan before Kyle Magennis stupidly went in hard on Murphy and referee Clancy brandished a second yellow, followed by a red. The dismissal of Magennis resulted in Lee Johnson pulling Boyle deeper to fill the gap but I felt that instead he should have brought on Stevenson to fill the midfield slot, perhaps replacing Youan who had looked poor since coming on.

Saints got a lift from Hibs going down to ten and were soon on the front foot. Wotherspoon tested Marshall and then, just three minutes after the red card, a Hallberg cross picked out Nicky Clark who headed the ball past Marshall to bring the sides level. I’ve only seen it live so I may be wide of the mark here, but I thought Clark was standing on the six yard line when he headed the ball and if that is so I’m asking myself why the keeper didn’t come to collect the ball before it reached Clark. Saints were in charge now and looking for a second which duly arrived around ten minutes from time. Once again, a high ball into the area was not dealt with and Stevie May gleefully headed home a second for his side.

Presumably in an effort to try and salvage something from the game, Lee Johnson withdrew Cadden and Cabraja and replaced them with McKirdy and Tavares. It had little to no effect if truth be told. In the final minute of the ninety, Hibs looked to have been awarded a penalty when Boyle was clearly fouled in the box, but Tavares had been offside in the build up so referee Clancy changed his mind. The ref then brandished another yellow card to a Hibs player in booking McKirdy for who knows what as the challenge he made to concede a foul was hardly worthy of the punishment.

The game ended and there were some boos which I guess were out of frustration at the way we lost the game and whilst it’s true we only had ourselves to blame there was quite a lot of positives, certainly until Magennis got sent off.

The players

Marshall – Redundant in the first half but I’m still wondering about the equalising goal and whether he could have prevented it.

Porteous – A few misdirected passes in the first half but I enjoyed Ryan’s determination to push Hibs on in the second.

Bushiri – I know we lost the game to two headers, but I’m not convinced Rocky was at fault for either. Indeed, I thought he had a fine game and he’s my man of the match.

Hanlon – A few lovely cross field passes, and I think that in general he played well enough.

Cadden – Very prominent in the first half and his cross for the goal was a peach.

Campbell – Another lung bursting performance although, at times, I felt he and Magennis were trying to occupy the same area of midfield.

Newell – As usual, he covered a lot of ground, and he made a few decent passes but for me he wasn’t quite on his game tonight.

Magennis – Good to see him back and his performance level was good but that daft challenge for the second yellow cost us dear.

Cabraja – I actually laughed out loud at a couple of his ‘crosses’ tonight as they reminded me of my woeful shots at golf – shanked is the word, I think.

Boyle – Booked for simulation – cut it out Boyler.

Kuharevich – A cracking footballer and not just a target man. Great use of the feet and with an eye for a pass. His goal was quality.

Youan – I take no pleasure in saying this but after Magennis went off it was like we were down to nine men. His contribution was extremely poor.

McKirdy – Got a yellow, otherwise nothing to report.

Tavares – As McKirdy, without the yellow.

Lee Johnson – Must frustrate him that we create so many chances and fail to put the majority away.

Referee – Kevin Clancy seemed to view challenges depending on the colour of the jersey as he booked Hibs players for challenges but managed to book only one St Johnstone player when the visitors were committing similar challenges that earned Hibs players a yellow.

loanheadhibby
21-10-2022, 11:04 PM
Too kind to Campbell he's not the answer.
Gives his all but not good enough for us.

Greenbeard
21-10-2022, 11:14 PM
Really enjoyed our first half performance. Great intensity. Couldn't get a signal to check the possession stats at HT. Anyone?
But the second half turned out like the 2021 Cup Final all over again.
It's all very well LJ saying we are playing well and someone one day is going to get a pasting but we can't afford to lose games like that.
Despite his silly red Magennis showed we've definitely got a player there.

smack
21-10-2022, 11:17 PM
You’re far too lenient on Magennis. He cost us big time. Two stupid challenges and also let down all the “new” fans who were there tonight.
This was a chance to show all these non regular fans what we could do and he ruined everything with his stupidity. Porteous also ball watching for the 2nd goal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since452
21-10-2022, 11:24 PM
Genuinely wouldn't bother me if McKirdy didn't play for us again. Headless chicken falling over his own feet. Thought Magennis was very good but his stupid red undid all his good work.

Stuart93
21-10-2022, 11:25 PM

Was awful tonight.

Also kind to Porteous, cost both goals.

I'm Spartacus
21-10-2022, 11:30 PM
Genuinely wouldn't bother me if McKirdy didn't play for us again. Headless chicken falling over his own feet. Thought Magennis was very good but his stupid red undid all his good work.

Great post OP, I think you are far too kind on Porto and the above is how I am with McKirdy, complete joke character for me.

Jones28
21-10-2022, 11:35 PM
Surprised you’ve not given Porteous a harder time, he was awful for both goals.

Boyle was a 5/10 at best for me. Mostly 7’s thereafter. Rocky gets my MOTM.

Since452
21-10-2022, 11:39 PM
Thought Rocky strolled it. He's massively won me over.

NAE NOOKIE
21-10-2022, 11:40 PM
How it feels is massively disappointing .... not because we lost a game, but because after being unbeaten at home all season we choose to go and bloody lose this one. A game where we had persuaded near on 19,000 Hibs fans to come along many of whom may have been of a mind to give our next home game a go on the back of a decent victory, instead of which the place was beginning to empty with 10 minutes to go as we toiled to recover the game.

It doesn't help that until Magennis decided to put in his stupid challenge and get sent off we were as comfortable as I've seen us in a game all season at Easter Road.

Once again our inability to put the ball in the net has cost us, we had plenty of chances and if we had been 2 - 0 up before the sending off the least we would have got is a draw.

How often does this club take what could be a massive positive and blow it ............ bloody groundhog day :fuming:

Since452
21-10-2022, 11:42 PM
How it feels is massively disappointing .... not because we lost a game, but because after being unbeaten at home all season we choose to go and bloody lose this one. A game where we had persuaded near on 19,000 Hibs fans to come along many of whom may have been of a mind to give our next home game a go on the back of a decent victory, instead of which the place was beginning to empty with 10 minutes to go as we toiled to recover the game.

It doesn't help that until Magennis decided to put in his stupid challenge and get sent off we were as comfortable as I've seen us in a game all season at Easter Road.

Once again our inability to put the ball in the net has cost us, we had plenty of chances and if we had been 2 - 0 up before the sending off the least we would have got is a draw.

How often does this club take what could be a massive positive and blow it ............ bloody groundhog day :fuming:

It's not even a surprise anymore. Hibs have a freakish tendancy to let us down when it matters the most.

Stuart93
21-10-2022, 11:49 PM

I said your last sentence heading up to the game tonight. Everything was set up for the fans to be let down again

HUGE opportunity for the club, wasted

Scunnered

Ronniekirk
22-10-2022, 12:07 AM
Really enjoyed our first half performance. Great intensity. Couldn't get a signal to check the possession stats at HT. Anyone?
It's all very well LJ saying we are playing well and someone one day is going to get a pasting but we can't afford to lose games like that.

I don’t buy into L J s statement we are going to give some team a pasting We have established a pattern of not taking chances and despite plenty firward players it’s just not happening
Am also not sure we are getting the best out of Boyle for some reason

NAE NOOKIE
22-10-2022, 12:17 AM
I don’t buy into L J s statement we are going to give some team a pasting We have established a pattern of not taking chances and despite plenty firward players it’s just not happening
Am also not sure we are getting the best out of Boyle for some reason

Got to agree mate. We don't look like giving anybody anything like a pasting, we actually don't look like we have more than a goal a game in us, we lack any sort of craft and guile in the final third and we simply don't attack the 6 yard box, yet again this evening we put plenty of balls between the keeper and the 6 yard line with absolutely nobody near them.

Wheat Hound
22-10-2022, 12:40 AM
Got to agree mate. We don't look like giving anybody anything like a pasting, we actually don't look like we have more than a goal a game in us, we lack any sort of craft and guile in the final third and we simply don't attack the 6 yard box, yet again this evening we put plenty of balls between the keeper and the 6 yard line with absolutely nobody near them.

Totally agree. Our composure and ability to pick that final pass is sorely lacking. Our midfielders are hard working and energetic etc but we lack someone to play the killer passes and make best use of Boyle.

Forza Fred
22-10-2022, 03:03 AM
I wasn’t surprised when Big Myka was subbed…….I thought he was only one dodgy tackle away from a second yellow and thought it was a wise move.

McGennis on the other hand…….

hibbydog
22-10-2022, 06:29 AM
Same old story. Not taking chances and soft defending which was clinically punished.

Porteous meant to be our best centre half? At fault for both goals.

Poor finishing isn’t bad luck, it’s bad execution and not keeping the heid when it matters.

Pretty Boy
22-10-2022, 06:34 AM

It was 68% with 2 shots on target. I think that sums this Hibs team up quite nicely actually.

Lot of good possession, very little end product.

theonlywayisup
22-10-2022, 06:55 AM
Good report and agree with most responses.

Last night was an odd game to get your head around.

Had we won last night, I think Hibs.net would have been quite complementary about many aspects of our play. Rocky was very good, so were Newell and the big Ukranian. I thought Cambell actually played well until the sending off.

The reason we lost last night was down to 1) not taking our chances and 2) LJ not reacting well enough to the change in momentum.

I was really looking forward to tonight – a full stadium, playing under the floodlights and the hope that we’d come back from the Celtic reversal by playing front foot, attacking football. Then of course there was the introduction of VAR but to be fair, I got the first two and an hour of the third before the wheels came off and the stadium started emptying out with around ten minutes left. VAR played its part, and had it not been in place, Hibs would have won a late penalty which, if converted, would probably earn a point.

Lee Johnson made three changes to his starting eleven with Kenneh, McKirdy and Stevenson dropped to the bench to be replaced by Cabraja, Bushiri and Magennis, the last named making his first start since returning from long term injury. Three at the back meant Cadden and Cabraja playing out wide with Boyle up top alongside Kuharevich.

Hibs started really well and in the space of the first few minutes, Kuharevich twice tested Remi Matthews with the Saints keeper blocking both attempts. On the front foot, Hibs were pressing hard and there was a loud claim for a penalty when Boyle appeared to be bundled over in the box, but referee Kevin Clancy decided it was simulation and booked the Hibs man. Moments later, Cadden fed the ball to Boyle, but the resultant shot flew wide of the post. Around the fifteen minute mark, Kuharevich showed some neat footwork to bamboozle Considine, but the strikers shot cleared the bar.

The visitors were offering very little in terms of attacking until McLennan blazed over from about twenty yards. After committing a couple of fouls, Kuharevich was booked by referee Clancy for persistent fouling which annoyed me because Saints defender McGowan had fouled the big Hibs striker on three or four occasions before that. On the half hour, a Magennis shot flew over the bar but five minutes later, Hibs took the lead their play deserved. Kuharevich won an aerial duel with Considine, heading the ball wide to Boyle. Martin’s first cross was poor, and the ball came back out to the right foot of Cadden who delivered a cracking cross onto the head of Kuharevich with the big striker heading home past the helpless Matthews.

The goal brought the issue of VAR into play and there was a short delay before it was stated as good. I understand the VAR in Glasgow would be looking at the various stages of play to ensure no fouls were committed in the build-up. Hibs were looking to get a second before the break as St Johnstone players did their best to prevent that, sometimes by foul means and at last Kevin Clancy had seen one too many and booked James Brown.

Hibs made no changes at the break, but the visitors replaced the ineffective Adam Montgomery with Stevie May. The new arrival took up the wide left berth and Saints looked to find him at every opportunity. Three minutes in and Campbell fed Newell, but Joe’s strong right footed effort was deflected for a corner. The visitors defended the corner well and broke away with the ball eventually reaching May who shot straight at Marshall. I’m pretty sure that was their first shot on target. A few minutes later, Magennis was booked for a crude challenge on James Brown before Brown himself pulled down Chris Cadden. It was a poor challenge with Brown already on a yellow, but referee Clancy was not minded to issue a second.

A good save by Matthews denied Magennis as the Hibs man sought the far corner but saw his effort palmed behind for a corner. Just past the hour mark, Kuharevich, who was having a fine game, was replaced by Youan and I confess that unless the big fella was injured, I have no idea why he was subbed off. That change meant Hibs now had no real focal point up front and so any crosses into the box were pointless. As Kuharevich headed off, St Johnstone replaced Mitchell and Wright with Murphy and Wotherspoon and then a few minutes later, Boyle skipped to the touchline and cut the ball back to Youan on the penalty spot but the resultant effort on goal went straight to Matthews with both sides of the goal wide open. Next in the book was Josh Campbell for a foul on McLennan before Kyle Magennis stupidly went in hard on Murphy and referee Clancy brandished a second yellow, followed by a red. The dismissal of Magennis resulted in Lee Johnson pulling Boyle deeper to fill the gap but I felt that instead he should have brought on Stevenson to fill the midfield slot, perhaps replacing Youan who had looked poor since coming on.

Saints got a lift from Hibs going down to ten and were soon on the front foot. Wotherspoon tested Marshall and then, just three minutes after the red card, a Hallberg cross picked out Nicky Clark who headed the ball past Marshall to bring the sides level. I’ve only seen it live so I may be wide of the mark here, but I thought Clark was standing on the six yard line when he headed the ball and if that is so I’m asking myself why the keeper didn’t come to collect the ball before it reached Clark. Saints were in charge now and looking for a second which duly arrived around ten minutes from time. Once again, a high ball into the area was not dealt with and Stevie May gleefully headed home a second for his side.

Presumably in an effort to try and salvage something from the game, Lee Johnson withdrew Cadden and Cabraja and replaced them with McKirdy and Tavares. It had little to no effect if truth be told. In the final minute of the ninety, Hibs looked to have been awarded a penalty when Boyle was clearly fouled in the box, but Tavares had been offside in the build up so referee Clancy changed his mind. The ref then brandished another yellow card to a Hibs player in booking McKirdy for who knows what as the challenge he made to concede a foul was hardly worthy of the punishment.

The game ended and there were some boos which I guess were out of frustration at the way we lost the game and whilst it’s true we only had ourselves to blame there was quite a lot of positives, certainly until Magennis got sent off.

The players

Marshall – Redundant in the first half but I’m still wondering about the equalising goal and whether he could have prevented it.

Porteous – A few misdirected passes in the first half but I enjoyed Ryan’s determination to push Hibs on in the second.

Bushiri – I know we lost the game to two headers, but I’m not convinced Rocky was at fault for either. Indeed, I thought he had a fine game and he’s my man of the match.

Hanlon – A few lovely cross field passes, and I think that in general he played well enough.

Cadden – Very prominent in the first half and his cross for the goal was a peach.

Campbell – Another lung bursting performance although, at times, I felt he and Magennis were trying to occupy the same area of midfield.

Newell – As usual, he covered a lot of ground, and he made a few decent passes but for me he wasn’t quite on his game tonight.

Magennis – Good to see him back and his performance level was good but that daft challenge for the second yellow cost us dear.

Cabraja – I actually laughed out loud at a couple of his ‘crosses’ tonight as they reminded me of my woeful shots at golf – shanked is the word, I think.

Boyle – Booked for simulation – cut it out Boyler.

Kuharevich – A cracking footballer and not just a target man. Great use of the feet and with an eye for a pass. His goal was quality.

Youan – I take no pleasure in saying this but after Magennis went off it was like we were down to nine men. His contribution was extremely poor.

McKirdy – Got a yellow, otherwise nothing to report.

Tavares – As McKirdy, without the yellow.

Lee Johnson – Must frustrate him that we create so many chances and fail to put the majority away.

Referee – Kevin Clancy seemed to view challenges depending on the colour of the jersey as he booked Hibs players for challenges but managed to book only one St Johnstone player when the visitors were committing similar challenges that earned Hibs players a yellow.

thebausburst
22-10-2022, 07:20 AM
Porto badly at fault for at least one of the goals, badly needs to cut out throwing himself down whenever he feels contact. We have nothing off the bench to change games, McKirdy and Tavares look very very poor. Lee said he thought we were ‘fantastic for 60 minutes’ which imo is worrying and makes me question his judgement to say the least. I’m fed up with all his guff, that’s 3 straight losses and we all know we’re in a false position in the league and soon enough will likely be sitting outside the top 6.

PaulSmith
22-10-2022, 07:24 AM
I don’t think Clancy awarded a penalty, the assistant referee flagged for offside as soon as Taveres chance broke down and gambled that he was offside.

Play should’ve been allowed to continue until Clancy awarded a pen and then the VAR check would come in. The timing of the flag and offside made the penalty incident irrelevant, which is not what is supposed to happen.

scoopyboy
22-10-2022, 07:52 AM

Magennis should have been substituted before he was sent off, just back from a long term injury and 60 minutes was sufficient and everyone could see he was spent.

The double substitution near the end was doomed to fail.

For me at the sending off LJ should have taken a centre half off and went 4 4 1,

Sending offs are common place and teams should now how to reshape, clearly we dont

GreenCastle
22-10-2022, 07:53 AM

Agree with a lot of this though I felt more comfortable against Aberdeen.

Motherwell were decent enough - Saints were awful 1st half last night but we really struggled to create much.

Playing 4-3-3 then moving to 3-5-2 to match them didn’t work. I felt he wanted physical players on the pitch with some speed centrally but at times we had 3 centre backs staying back compared to the usual 2 and full backs pushing on. Saints going a lot of bodies behind the ball and were well organised but there fans were raging at half time.

Last night felt like old Hibs crumbling - sending off (should have been subbed) earlier for Kenneth) then rattled by that. Lost 1 goal - nearly lose another but an incredible last ditch tackle then lose a 2nd. Worryingly losing headers with 3 centre backs on pitch too.

I’m fed up with the work in progress, we will give someone a pasting. We simple won’t because we don’t have the players to score goals. Joe Newell doesn’t have the legs and aggression to be a holding midfielder - let alone in 2 in midfield. Also agree sending off - take off a centre back and go 4-4-1 - we just gave up the middle more and loads of space out wide to cross the ball.

We need a finisher (think Cummings / LG etc).

We need a central midfielder who creates more.

A winger who can cross with left foot.

I’m still not convinced with Cadden defensively as a right back. Teams are now targeting that area.

Just so frustrating as the league is mince and 3rd is there for the taking but we will end up 5th behind Dons and Hearts if we are lucky as we can’t take our opportunities like tonight.

Roxyhibee
22-10-2022, 08:13 AM

Spot on. This is exactly how we felt heading home last night. A huge opportunity to entice fans back and get a real feel good momentum going, completely wasted by the players from a commanding comfortable position. I’d bet even St Johnstone are wondering how the hell it all turned around in their favour.!

Magennis has to shoulder a huge amount of the blame for a complete lack of professionalism and Porteous’s effort to do his job for the second was pathetic. I’m not sure about his challenge for their equaliser as there were two hands on his shoulders - but if he fell looking for the defenders foul, then that is unforgivable. Cabraja needs dropped as the boys’ confidence and composure is zero at the moment - and Boyle, where are you.?

Spike Mandela
22-10-2022, 08:20 AM
Maybe it was the Friday night kick off and the soothing effect of the extra pints I managed to squeeze in but I never felt Hibs were in any danger of losing a goal, never mind the game, until after the sending off when the wheels totally came off the performance.

Really frustrating losing games like this when so comfortable for large part of the game. Hopefully an in form Nisbet returning will help us finish these type of games off.

GreenCastle
22-10-2022, 08:24 AM
Maybe it was the Friday night kick off and the soothing effect of the extra pints I managed to squeeze in but I never felt Hibs were in any danger of losing a goal, never mind the game, until after the sending off when the wheels totally came off the performance.

Really frustrating losing games like this when so comfortable for large part of the game. Hopefully an in form Nisbet returning will help us finish these type of games off.

While I agree Nisbet is a finisher to an extent - feels like Nisbet is now the new Magennis as he’s been out for so long fans are saying when he returns all will be ok.

We have the issue of where does he play ? Myko gives us a physical presence up too which Nisbet doesn’t - so do we play 2 up or ?

Spike Mandela
22-10-2022, 08:32 AM
While I agree Nisbet is a finisher to an extent - feels like Nisbet is now the new Magennis as he’s been out for so long fans are saying when he returns all will be ok.

We have the issue of where does he play ? Myko gives us a physical presence up too which Nisbet doesn’t - so do we play 2 up or ?

I know he was off the boil a bit when he got injured, but his form previously had mad him an international player and with the sale of Boyle he had become our prized asset. His return won’t rectify everything but his goals and assists will be invaluable imo.

Green_one
22-10-2022, 08:40 AM
Thought we played well at times in the first but zero in the second. St J are a poor side

We threw away the points because

1. Magennis - should have been subbed or just not an idiot
2. LJ did not restructure the 10 men. Looked chaotic. Crying out for Lewis to shore up the mid
3. Porto.

Thought mom award was spot on. Magennis looked decent in the first half, as did the big Ukrainian

V disappointing but predictable evening. The entertainment was a joke. 15 minutes early for that?!!!

B.H.F.C
22-10-2022, 08:45 AM
Magennis should have been substituted before he was sent off, just back from a long term injury and 60 minutes was sufficient and everyone could see he was spent.

For me at the sending off LJ should have taken a centre half off and went 4 4 1,

Sending offs are common place and teams should now how to reshape, clearly we dont

Whilst I thought the same about Magennis, the below from LJ goes some way to explaining why he stayed on. Or maybe it just tells you how much the rest has dropped off.

“The natural question is whether I should have taken Kyle off earlier. It was something that was strongly considered but we have the luxury of live GPS by the side of the pitch and Kyle was our second highest output in terms of consistent metres per minute.”

Greenbeard
22-10-2022, 08:47 AM

LJ said that whilst people might have expected Magennis not to last the full 90, the live GPS data showed he was still performing fitness-wise.

Greenbeard
22-10-2022, 08:53 AM
Thought we played well at times in the first but zero in the second. St J are a poor side

We threw away the points because

1. Magennis - should have been subbed or just not an idiot
2. LJ did not restructure the 10 men. Looked chaotic. Crying out for Lewis to shore up the mid
3. Porto.

Thought mom award was spot on. Magennis looked decent in the first half, as did the big Ukrainian

V disappointing but predictable evening. The entertainment was a joke. 15 minutes early for that?!!!
Had he not thrown himself to ground on the first feel of contact looking for the free-kick, he should have been strong enough to put in a good jump and challenge for the ball and even if not winning the header, at least put Clark off directing his header to goal. He's won us many a free kick and some penalties with his dives, but that is one that has gone against him and cost the team dearly. Having reviewed it, especially the view from behind the goal, I'm actually surprised he didn't get a yellow from the VAR for diving.

Stubbsy90+2
22-10-2022, 08:54 AM
Had he not thrown himself to ground on the first feel of contact looking for the free-kick, he should have been strong enough to put in a good jump and challenge for the ball and even if not winning the header, at least put Clark off directing his header to goal. He's won us many a free kick and some penalties with his dives, but that is one that has gone against him and cost the team dearly. Having reviewed it, especially the view from behind the goal, I'm actually surprised he didn't get a yellow from the VAR for diving.

VAR doesn’t do yellows. Red cards, penalties and incidents in the build up to goals only.

JimBHibees
22-10-2022, 08:56 AM
I don’t think Clancy awarded a penalty, the assistant referee flagged for offside as soon as Taveres chance broke down and gambled that he was offside.

Play should’ve been allowed to continue until Clancy awarded a pen and then the VAR check would come in. The timing of the flag and offside made the penalty incident irrelevant, which is not what is supposed to happen.

I don't think he did either was pointing for the offside which imo was a very close decision.

Greenbeard
22-10-2022, 08:57 AM
VAR doesn’t do yellows. Red cards, penalties and incidents in the build up to goals only.
Thanks for clarifying.

GreenCastle
22-10-2022, 08:57 AM
LJ said that whilst people might have expected Magennis not to last the full 90, the live GPS data showed he was still performing fitness-wise.

I don’t think it’s to do with computers and GPS here - it was obvious our midfield started to be over run plus he’s back from a year out so how was he going to play him?

Sub him for Kenneh and I feel we would have probably held onto 1-0 (though didn’t feel comfortable and felt a 2nd goal was needed).

number9dream
22-10-2022, 09:15 AM
How it feels? Depressing… and familiar.
Good on Myka for scoring his first goal since leaving Ukraine. It was an excellent header and he was a real handful in the first half.
The negative aspects, of which there are a few, have been covered above. A win next weekend is imperative.

greenlex
22-10-2022, 09:19 AM

Rubbish.

BoomtownHibees
22-10-2022, 10:27 AM

I think they got the “process” correct. The linesman didn’t flag straight away, play continued, Clancy pointed to the spot for a penalty but the linesman then flagged for offside. VAR then checked and confirmed the offside

loanheadhibby
22-10-2022, 12:47 PM
Rubbish.

If you think we're going to progress with Josh Campbell as a first choice pick you're deluded.

A Hi-Bee
22-10-2022, 12:52 PM
If you think we're going to progress with Josh Campbell as a first choice pick you're deluded.

More than half this team need replaced the young guy is still learning, so I would never point him out some far more experienced players are hiding in games.

Hibs4185
22-10-2022, 01:02 PM
I think 99 was subbed because he was on a yellow for persistent fouling and had had another couple of little fouls after

Since452
22-10-2022, 01:07 PM
I think 99 was subbed because he was on a yellow for persistent fouling and had had another couple of little fouls after

I was amazed he wasn't sent off. Could see it coming.

Tambo
22-10-2022, 01:10 PM
Johnson says we could've won that game 4-0?

I know training and match day is different but I do wonder how much attacking training we do, maybe could do with some extra work or bring in an attacking coach.

PaulSmith
22-10-2022, 01:16 PM
I think they got the “process” correct. The linesman didn’t flag straight away, play continued, Clancy pointed to the spot for a penalty but the linesman then flagged for offside. VAR then checked and confirmed the offside

Confess I never saw any award of a penalty at the time.