PDA

View Full Version : Violinist at HT

Trinity Hibee
21-10-2022, 09:41 PM
Applaud Hibs for trying this. Presuming this was based on the Betis video that has circulated recently. They really needed to do it pre game with the sound system behind it. A violinist on their own doesn’t really get the crowd going. Next time do what Betis did.

brianmc
21-10-2022, 09:43 PM
Applaud Hibs for trying this. Presuming this was based on the Betis video that has circulated recently. They really needed to do it pre game with the sound system behind it. A violinist on their own doesn’t really get the crowd going. Next time do what Betis did.

He was there pre match as well...

CL0762
21-10-2022, 09:51 PM
It was awful. Felt sorry for the boy.

wookie70
21-10-2022, 09:53 PM

He played well it is just the wrong entertainment for a fitba crowd. The opera singer last year was the same. For me I'd rather they just let the atmosphere build

Since452
21-10-2022, 09:54 PM
It reminded me of the YouTube video of the guy playing the Titanic theme tune on the flute out of tune. Chronic.

Irish_Steve
21-10-2022, 09:55 PM
He played well it is just the wrong entertainment for a fitba crowd. The opera singer last year was the same. For me I'd rather they just let the atmosphere build

I was just about to say the same thing about the opera singer. I can see what Hibs are trying to do but it's just not working (certainly for me). In fact, the only good one so far was the bloke from Retro Video Club but that's because he sang a song we could sing to!

basehibby
21-10-2022, 09:56 PM
He was not! All your statement proves is you have cloth ears.

hibee_girl
21-10-2022, 09:56 PM
It was a bit random and didn’t really work. At least give us something to get the atmosphere going.

random sub
21-10-2022, 09:57 PM
I enjoyed it but agree they should have given the guy more support with the sound system

B.H.F.C
21-10-2022, 09:58 PM
They put the tweet out about there being loud music and I was expecting something that would really build the crowd up. I couldn’t believe it when they said the violinist was coming on!

Nothing against the guy by the way, it was just similar to the opera singer in that it didn’t suit the occasion.

ClermistonGreen
21-10-2022, 09:59 PM
Can he play “ Up Front “ ?

Mcbizz1998
21-10-2022, 09:59 PM
All very odd tbh.

Wheat Hound
21-10-2022, 10:00 PM
Not enough strings to our bow

sleeping giant
21-10-2022, 10:01 PM
I didn't even notice this at all 😳

Logie Green
21-10-2022, 10:50 PM

Agree about letting the atmosphere build but it’ll never happen, sadly.

The announcer has got a nerve to play ear-splitting music right up to kick off then scream down the microphone for us to ‘make some noise’. Tinpot.

Sir David Gray
21-10-2022, 10:56 PM
Bit of a letdown to be honest as I was expecting something a bit more exciting to whet the appetite of a full house for a Friday night game given the pre-match build up from Hibs on social media.

That's not a criticism of the violinist himself by the way, he's clearly very talented I just don't think it worked at a football crowd. Much like the opera singer who came out and sung Nessun Dorma a couple of months ago.

All quite bizarre.

Del Boy
21-10-2022, 11:11 PM
Weird. Don’t know what it was meant to achieve. Nothing against the guy but was just a bit wtf?

Carheenlea
21-10-2022, 11:15 PM
Opera singers, violinists - all very cultured. Next up is maybe some spoken word to whip the crowd up. If Welsh is free it might just work!

overdrive
21-10-2022, 11:15 PM
Just plain odd, like the opera singer was.

Bridge hibs
22-10-2022, 06:14 AM
I heard the guy registered on hibs.net last night and is making a good few bob hiring out his violin

Pretty Boy
22-10-2022, 06:26 AM
At least his performance pre match had a connection of sorts with Hibs. A couple of verses of ****ing Coldplay at HT was just weird.

Trying new things is all well and good but sometimes you have to accept they don't all work and move on. Both the opera singer and violinist have been evidently talented but they have contributed absolutely nothing to the atmosphere and that's surely the ultimate goal of any entertainment.

Libby Hibby
22-10-2022, 07:24 AM
The violinist just didn’t work IMO.

How about just playing the full hibs version of the Trainspotting trailer? I’m not sure it’s ever been played in its entirety.

Or just play some old school classics. Something to get the crowd going.

Not every ‘big game’ needs something different.

Heisenberg
22-10-2022, 07:33 AM
Nearly as bad as the opera. Might be talented but no place at the football.

Hiber-nation
22-10-2022, 07:36 AM
At least his performance pre match had a connection of sorts with Hibs. A couple of verses of ****ing Coldplay at HT was just weird.

Trying new things is all well and good but sometimes you have to accept they don't all work and move on. Both the opera singer and violinist have been evidently talented but they have contributed absolutely nothing to the atmosphere and that's surely the ultimate goal of any entertainment.

Ah right. I'd heard it before I knew I hated it but couldn't remember what it was. At least it was in tune, the pre-match Freed From Desire was tortuous.

lucky
22-10-2022, 07:52 AM
Grant Brebner and a violinist were hardly going to get the crowd wound up. TBF to the violinist he's talented but no use at a football game.

DIXIHIBS
22-10-2022, 08:00 AM

He may be a talented violinist, but as entertainment before a game...never.

GreenCastle
22-10-2022, 08:02 AM
Grant Brebner and a violinist were hardly going to get the crowd wound up. TBF to the violinist he's talented but no use at a football game.

Grant was fine - said he loved beat Hearts.

Really it should have been Sauzee this week.

Agree with comments it was just weird - noting against the guy performing but would rather have a fan just get the chants going with the microphone or put some songs on we can sing along to.

Pre match v Athens was the best Grant just getting crowd going (ok Euro game but he did his best to get the crowd going).

LaMotta
22-10-2022, 08:07 AM

He was hitting the wrong note repeatedly at the same point of the song. If it wasn't for that it might have been ok.

WhileTheChief..
22-10-2022, 08:18 AM
Next up, excerpts from the Nutcracker or Swan Lake to be shown for 3 hours prior to kick off with Born Slippy being swapped for Beethoven or Bach.

Hibs class.

Irish_Steve
22-10-2022, 08:21 AM
We would be better off having Bingo at half time with Barrie calling out the numbers - all shown on the big screens

That sounds like a winner to me!

Carheenlea
22-10-2022, 08:25 AM
Next up, excerpts from the Nutcracker or Swan Lake to be shown for 3 hours prior to kick off with Born Slippy being swapped for Beethoven or Bach.

Hibs class.

“And bringing out tonight’s match ball - let’s hear a warm Easter Road welcome for Melvyn Bragg”

Chuck Rhoades
22-10-2022, 08:54 AM

Terrible. Club so out of touch it’s unreal. Couple dozen St J in west lower apparently acceptable too.

Mick O'Rourke
22-10-2022, 09:02 AM
Yous filistines oan here kid dae wae sum kultur inyer lives

:greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaYnoDZLXoo

Since452
22-10-2022, 09:07 AM
Nothing against Grant Brebner, I liked him as a player but found that whole thing a bit weird too. Who next? Justin Skinner?

Mick O'Rourke
22-10-2022, 09:11 AM
“And bringing out tonight’s match ball - let’s hear a warm Easter Road welcome for Melvyn Bragg”

Well old Mel could come along wae his pal Billy Bragg and give us a good sing song. :greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
22-10-2022, 09:25 AM
Nothing against Grant Brebner, I liked him as a player but found that whole thing a bit weird too. Who next? Justin Skinner?

Sauzee was paraded ,so why not Grant, who was a former captain and good servant to the club.

Grant might not have found it weird,but just enjoyed the moment being a Hibs supporter .

If the majority of fans dont like former players giving a wave from the pitch, or musicians playing pre match or at half time, i am sure our bosses will find out and try different things.

Dont know about Justin,but Dennis Skinner would have got the crowd cheering:greengrin

Chorley Hibee
22-10-2022, 10:04 AM
Sauzee was paraded ,so why not Grant, who was a former captain and good servant to the club.

Grant might not have found it weird,but just enjoyed the moment being a Hibs supporter .

If the majority of fans dont like former players giving a wave from the pitch, or musicians playing pre match or at half time, i am sure our bosses will find out and try different things.

Dont know about Justin,but Dennis Skinner would have got the crowd cheering:greengrin

Dennis would have enjoyed the "**** the tories" chant that started too. 🤣

bod
22-10-2022, 10:05 AM
We would be better off having Bingo at half time with Barrie calling out the numbers - all shown on the big screens

That sounds like a winner to me!

Catchphrase on the big screens , get the Bairns to guess the players behind numbers

Billy Whizz
22-10-2022, 10:11 AM
What was the persons name, missed it, and where did we lure him from

BoomtownHibees
22-10-2022, 10:18 AM
What was the persons name, missed it, and where did we lure him from

David

Bobby's Cinema
22-10-2022, 10:18 AM
Don't really get it. Was in my seat earlier than normal after the build-up for pre-match entertainment.
And got to see Brebner bring out the match ball - which was good - but not a lot else.

GreenCastle
22-10-2022, 10:21 AM

Brebner ex captain who played over 130 games for us.

Come on it was fine. Think it’s good Hibs are trying to reconnect with ex players.

Billy Whizz
22-10-2022, 10:24 AM
David

Not going to get many gigs, if that’s all he’s called
I don’t mind a bit of culture now and again

Highwayman
22-10-2022, 10:30 AM
Pre match and half time entertainment went down the drain for me when they did away with the marching pipe bands.

Please bring them back as a treat for old codgers like me.

overdrive
22-10-2022, 11:08 AM
Not going to get many gigs, if that’s all he’s called
I don’t mind a bit of culture now and again

C’mon it didn’t stop Cher, Sting, Madonna, etc. :wink:

Billy Whizz
22-10-2022, 11:12 AM
C’mon it didn’t stop Cher, Sting, Madonna, etc. :wink:

You Google them and something will come up, unique names😀

overdrive
22-10-2022, 01:44 PM
You Google them and something will come up, unique names😀

This the guy on the pitch? 😂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Garrett?wprov=sfti1

He’s who comes up when you Google David the Violinist

Nakedmanoncrack
22-10-2022, 02:04 PM
Brebner ex captain who played over 130 games for us.

Come on it was fine. Think it’s good Hibs are trying to reconnect with ex players.

Honestly don't remember him being captain!

LustForLeith
23-10-2022, 05:30 PM
Bet if we’d won no one would be moaning about this

Ryan91
23-10-2022, 06:51 PM
Bet if we’d won no one would be moaning about this

It was mentioned in the Match Thread at HT, when we were winning. The pre-match email made it sound like there was going to be an epic pre-match performance. Credit to David, he's talented and it takes a lot of guts to play in front of 20K people you don't know, but it's not going to get my blood pumping.

Last season the club got Liam (I think?) the front-man for Retro Video Club (who done a cover of Hibs Heroes - better than the original I might add) out to sing prior to the derby. I enjoyed that and I believe it was also enjoyed by many others too.

Why not get him out and doing covers of Hibs songs, or maybe even the Proclaimers out? These acts have an association with Hibs, far more so than an (admittedly very brave and talented) Violinist, even if said Violinist is a Hibs fan, and are far more likely to get fans hyped up and ready for kick off.

Mick O'Rourke
23-10-2022, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=overdrive;7138001]This the guy on the pitch? ��

If it was David Garrett ,he is certainly a top class violinist.
Well known and played all over the world.
you could say he is a "fiddler on the hoof " :greengrin

Prof. Shaggy
23-10-2022, 08:02 PM
This the guy on the pitch? 😂

He’s who comes up when you Google David the Violinist

According to the linked twitter he was playing in Mexico on 21/10/22, so...

Donegal Hibby
23-10-2022, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=overdrive;7138001]This the guy on the pitch? ��

If it was David Garrett ,he is certainly a top class violinist.
Well known and played all over the world.
you could say he is a "fiddler on the hoof " :greengrin
We should have had ' Mairead Nesbitt ' at Easter road Mick .Celtic woman -Becoming HIBERNIA album on utube now this girls some violinist . Might be a relation to our striker Kevin. :greengrin

Hibby70
23-10-2022, 08:23 PM
Would like to see the kids back on at half time for the shoot out. Or when a fan tries to win some cash.

eastterrace
23-10-2022, 08:28 PM
Would like to see the kids back on at half time for the shoot out. Or when a fan tries to win some cash.
Na the ten second countdown was boring as ******.

Wilson
23-10-2022, 10:35 PM

Hibs let him play - no strings.

vuefrom1875
23-10-2022, 10:59 PM
Hibs let him play - no strings.

Obviously very talented at what he does, but stuff like this is,in my opinion, not condusive to a fitba game.

Frazerbob
24-10-2022, 04:22 AM
I was at the Prague derby yesterday. They had a violinist playing as the teams came out. Must be a thing 🤣