PDA

View Full Version : Our season so far

Stubbsy90+2
21-10-2022, 09:41 PM
We’re now finished a round of fixtures and one game into the next.

What’s everyone giving our season out of 10?

I’m giving it a 5. We’ve been more enjoyable to watch but the results have been no more than decent and the league cup debacle drags that rating down as well. From what I’ve seen so far I think we’ll be on the cusp of top 6/bottom 6, no more, no less and tbh, that’s not really good enough.

JammyDoidger
21-10-2022, 09:42 PM
The gaffer isn't getting the best out of us, still doesn't know how best starting 11, I thought we were getting there until he hit self destruct at parkhead..5, that squad is capable of third.

A Hi-Bee
21-10-2022, 09:45 PM
Naw, give him a 4 and the team a 3 and a half.

B.H.F.C
21-10-2022, 09:46 PM
Signs of promise but, overall, it’s been disappointing for me.

League Cup was a disaster.

In the league we haven’t taken full advantage of Hearts struggling to deal with the demands of Europe.

I’d give us a 5/10 at a push.

loanheadhibby
21-10-2022, 09:50 PM
A really disappointing start to the season. 4 points gained against teams that finish with 11 players on the park.

A manager who is going to find himself under massive pressure if things don’t pick up quickly. Really poor recruitment.

Stubbsy90+2
21-10-2022, 09:51 PM
A really disappointing start to the season. 4 points gained against teams that finish with 11 players on the park.

A manager who is going to find himself under massive pressure if things don’t pick up quickly. Really poor recruitment.

It’s not a popular thing to say on here but it’s a huge concern. I’m sure folk will be along to tell us we’ve played against 10 men because of our good play etc but 2 of the 5 reds against us wouldn’t have been given with VAR.

When we play against 11 men our record is an abomination. And more often than not, that’s what we’ll be playing against.

GreenCastle
21-10-2022, 09:52 PM
It wasn’t hard to improve what we had but we had the league cup disaster losing to part time teams Falkirk and Morton (at home).

We have lost to Livi, St Mirren and Saints now plus a pumping off Celtic which could have been more.

Think his best win was Aberdeen at home but they did have 10 players for half the game.

Next 4 games are massive before the break - mid table mediocrity or will we be challenging for 3rd.

Felt like we were turning a corner but feel last 10 days we have gone backwards.

Unseen work
21-10-2022, 09:53 PM
The gaffer isn't getting the best out of us, still doesn't know how best starting 11, I thought we were getting there until he hit self destruct at parkhead..5, that squad is capable of third.

Doesn’t know his best 11?

His team selection has been very consistent with the exception of parkhead?

S4uzee
21-10-2022, 10:13 PM
We’re a poor side. Losing at home to that St Johnstone team, it’s likely another bottom 6 finish.

Trinity Hibee
21-10-2022, 10:16 PM
Bottom 6 again at end of this season should mean a change of manager. Can’t keep putting up with pish season after season. It’s becoming the norm sadly

Jim44
21-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Mediocre. We’re a stick on for 6th or 7th. Teams like Aberdeen, St Mirren, Livingston and Hearts are no better than us but they’ve got more balls and desire to win. We’re a bit powder puff if truth be told.

Tambo
21-10-2022, 10:24 PM
Would say it's a 5 out of 10 so far. Again looking very incosentiant with results.

Pagan Hibernia
21-10-2022, 10:29 PM
Bottom 6 again at end of this season should mean a change of manager. Can’t keep putting up with pish season after season. It’s becoming the norm sadly

we seem to change the manager season after season. And sometimes twice a season.

im not saying we should stick with a manager indefinitely who’s clearly not good enough but a revolving door policy is not working.

JammyDoidger
21-10-2022, 10:32 PM
Doesn’t know his best 11?

His team selection has been very consistent with the exception of parkhead?

Until parkhead you mean? What happened tonight?

Iain G
21-10-2022, 10:32 PM
we seem to change the manager season after season. And sometimes twice a season.

im not saying we should stick with a manager indefinitely who’s clearly not good enough but a revolving door policy is not working.

He needs 3 transfer windows to get players in to mould his squad and the way he wants us to play

Sir David Gray
21-10-2022, 10:45 PM
It's kind of going the way I expected it to, to be honest.

Whilst it's not terrible, I don't think we have a squad that's as good as a number of people on here seem to think that we do.

Another season similar to last season beckons I think, hopefully this season we can get the extra couple of points that's required to finish 4th as opposed to 8th and we can get into Europe but I can't say I have much optimism in me right now.

Sir David Gray
21-10-2022, 10:49 PM
He needs 3 transfer windows to get players in to mould his squad and the way he wants us to play

I don't necessarily disagree with that but if we have many more results like tonight and have another disappointing season like last year I'm not sure Johnson will be given the opportunity of a third transfer window.

That's just the way football management is these days, they're not given time.

PS - For the avoidance of doubt I'm not calling for Johnson to go at this moment in time.

judas
21-10-2022, 10:59 PM

I’m giving it a 5. We’ve been more enjoyable to watch but the results have been no more than decent and the league cup debacle drags that rating down as well. From what I’ve seen so far I think we’ll be on the cusp of top 6/bottom 6, no more, no less and tbh, that’s not really good enough.

I think asking this question in the wake of a home defeat is silly.

The results will be skewed.

But I will humour you. I say 6/10. It’s a work in progress and I like Johnson.

WhileTheChief..
21-10-2022, 11:02 PM
Agree with most on here, 5/10 is about right.

Not crap, not great, but better to watch than under Maloney.

Season is going exactly as I thought it would. We are pretty much a definition of average and think we'll finish 6th or 7th.

McGruber
21-10-2022, 11:49 PM
Would say 5/10 aswell. Would qualify that with saying the first part of the season was always likely to be a struggle.

That was a massive opportunity tonight though and we failed spectacularly. The hurdle infront of us at home was a very poor St Johnstone team and we couldn't get the better of them.

Hopefully Nisbet and even McGeady can come in and offer some quality in the final third

Nicho87
21-10-2022, 11:52 PM
Lightweight midfield

Mid table results

McGruber
21-10-2022, 11:55 PM
It’s not a popular thing to say on here but it’s a huge concern. I’m sure folk will be along to tell us we’ve played against 10 men because of our good play etc but 2 of the 5 reds against us wouldn’t have been given with VAR.

When we play against 11 men our record is an abomination. And more often than not, that’s what we’ll be playing against.

Not that I'm one to buy the crap spouted about the 4 points v 11 men stat.
Though surely if we are saying we only win v 10 as if that's easy then equally tonight being down to 10 was not Hibs fault and defeat should be accepted.
You win games, you lose games with the goals, penalties, red cards, incidents - it's all part of it
We have 17 points. 17 points earned no matter how you cut it. Games and points we've lost just the same.

Smartie
22-10-2022, 12:06 AM
I'm not that concerned or unhappy yet.

Our manager is a bit of a gambler, which I like tbh. He doesn't always take the safe option, and with some of his more cavalier moves, he ends up finding out more about our players sooner.

We have deficiencies. The squad is paper thin. Some fringe players you have to think will be picking up half decent wages to contribute very little.

As ever, we have business to do in January but we're in the hunt for third right now and that'll do, even if you can pick fault with pretty much every department on the park to some extent.

CL0762
22-10-2022, 12:07 AM
5/10 for me.

I’ve felt for the most part, we’ve been the dominant side in majority of games we’ve played (regardless of whether the opposition has 10 men or not) but games like Livi, St Mirren and then tonight are concerning.

The Dundee Utd game away was one of those nights (IMO) where the ball wouldn’t go in the net regardless of how much we tried and sometimes those games can happen.

One thing that is alarming though, is the severe lack of goals from our forward/attacking players.

Between (and I know minutes on the pitch for some have been really limited) Boyle, Youan, Melkersen, McKirdy, Myko, Bojang, Jair, Henderson we have 6 goals. Given the amount of chances we’ve created in games the lack of clinical finishing in the final 3rd is really going to be our downfall this season IMO if we don’t rectify it and rectify it quick.

For me over this spell of games before the WC, 9 out of 9 points at home given we have 2 tricky away games was absolutely imperative if we harbour any hopes of finishing in the top 3/4 and we can already only take 6 from a possible 9 at home.

Stubbsy90+2
22-10-2022, 07:53 AM
I think asking this question in the wake of a home defeat is silly.

The results will be skewed.

But I will humour you. I say 6/10. It’s a work in progress and I like Johnson.

Surely the same argument could be made for doing it after a win? It’ll be skewed and everyone will be giving it 8s and 9s etc. Just look at the Ian Gordon thread. We won a few games and suddenly people were claiming our recruitment had been great.

I could have asked it after the Celtic game, now that certainly would have seen skewed results!

I’m not sure the timing really matters all that much as the mood will always be up or down based on the last result and potentially skew results.

neil7908
22-10-2022, 08:00 AM

Yup. We've seen the difference last night a red card makes and it's scary to think where we'd be without the ones in our favour this year.

Although we are in 3rd, the teams below us are 1 win away from overtaking us and have 2 games in hand. And the defeat to Celtic has ruined our previously decent goal difference.

For me it's a 4/10 on the basis that I think our position is not accurate and we will be in the bottom 6 very shortly.

Stubbsy90+2
22-10-2022, 08:09 AM
Not that I'm one to buy the crap spouted about the 4 points v 11 men stat.
Though surely if we are saying we only win v 10 as if that's easy then equally tonight being down to 10 was not Hibs fault and defeat should be accepted.
You win games, you lose games with the goals, penalties, red cards, incidents - it's all part of it
We have 17 points. 17 points earned no matter how you cut it. Games and points we've lost just the same.

Nobody is claiming winning v 10 is easy. The point people are more making is that we’ll be lucky to play against 10 men more than once every 6 or 7 games. We won’t continue getting reds going for us at the rate we have been, especially with VAR. 2 of the 5 we have had go for us wouldn’t have happened.

As such, our ability to beat 11 men needs to improve.

Tyler Durden
22-10-2022, 08:17 AM
All the analysis that we are mediocre and average tends to ignore the quality of the other teams. Very few are any better

We’ve just lost 3 games and we’ll likely still go into the WC break sitting 4th or 5th.

We’ll be in the hunt for 3rd or 4th. We’re getting players back now from injury and January will give us an opportunity to improve the midfield again

NAE NOOKIE
22-10-2022, 03:32 PM
5/10 because that's exactly where we are. We aren't rubbish, but we are still miles away from thinking of any game as a gimmie, as things stand this is not unlike the season where we finished third, or even last season for our manky neighbours, insomuch as nobody seems capable of capitalising on the poor form of the teams around them for any length of time. The one who can string a few decent results together without being brilliant will finish 3rd, that was Hearts last season and us the season before.

That's the frustration here, IMO we are not far away from being a decent team if we could just sort out our deficiencies in front of goal. Even with the debacle at Celtic park our defence is certainly no worse than any other in the league and better than most, find a way to score more than one goal a bloody game and we can take a real stab at 3rd. There's still time to do that, but it has to start happening before this round of fixtures is done or the best we can hope for is 4th, at worst a bottom 6 finish with a possible squeaky bummed flirtation with a playoff place ... never a happy situation for any Hibs team as we all know.

ancient hibee
22-10-2022, 04:01 PM
5/10 for me.

I’ve felt for the most part, we’ve been the dominant side in majority of games we’ve played (regardless of whether the opposition has 10 men or not) but games like Livi, St Mirren and then tonight are concerning.

The Dundee Utd game away was one of those nights (IMO) where the ball wouldn’t go in the net regardless of how much we tried and sometimes those games can happen.

One thing that is alarming though, is the severe lack of goals from our forward/attacking players.

Between (and I know minutes on the pitch for some have been really limited) Boyle, Youan, Melkersen, McKirdy, Myko, Bojang, Jair, Henderson we have 6 goals. Given the amount of chances we’ve created in games the lack of clinical finishing in the final 3rd is really going to be our downfall this season IMO if we don’t rectify it and rectify it quick.

For me over this spell of games before the WC, 9 out of 9 points at home given we have 2 tricky away games was absolutely imperative if we harbour any hopes of finishing in the top 3/4 and we can already only take 6 from a possible 9 at home.
There’s a dreadful lack of composure upfront. Last night the Saints goalie made 4 saves where the ball hit him. Did well to make himself big but really a cool head would have seen he ball rolled away from him instead of the ball just being smashed.

Colinton Hibby
22-10-2022, 04:33 PM
5/10 seems fair to me. We are at least three or four quality players away from a handy outfit but what I will say is that this team is so much better to watch than what we have had to put up with over the past few seasons. GGTTH.

overdrive
22-10-2022, 04:33 PM
All the analysis that we are mediocre and average tends to ignore the quality of the other teams. Very few are any better

We’ve just lost 3 games and we’ll likely still go into the WC break sitting 4th or 5th.

We’ll be in the hunt for 3rd or 4th. We’re getting players back now from injury and January will give us an opportunity to improve the midfield again

Your first paragraph is actually a concern. Given how much it looks like we’ve spent, we should be miles ahead of the likes of Livingston and St Mirren. That’s down to a combination of poor recruitment, poor management and underperforming players.

Unless we have a clear out in January and manage to get in some quality players (something the club haven’t exactly proved they can do), I can’t see us being anything other than mid table. I don’t think we’ll be in trouble either mind you.

McGruber
22-10-2022, 05:50 PM
Nobody is claiming winning v 10 is easy. The point people are more making is that we’ll be lucky to play against 10 men more than once every 6 or 7 games. We won’t continue getting reds going for us at the rate we have been, especially with VAR. 2 of the 5 we have had go for us wouldn’t have happened.

As such, our ability to beat 11 men needs to improve.

It's a crap point though isn't it. We need to be better at beating 11 men but the games against 10 men aren't there to be judged

St Johnstone away 1st game of season - better team 11 v 11 could have went on to win. We found it harder breaking them down after

Aberdeen game - better 11 v 11, could have went on to win regardless

Motherwell game - could have went on to win regardless

Even last night, the opposite, with 11 v 11 might have went on to win.

You win, lose or draw the games - they all have decisons for and against. We can't measure our ability to win games 11 v 11 if oppositon players get sent off.

Basically, it's not winning v 11 men we need to improve - it's just winning games.. period.

Personally I'll leave the 'how many points v 10 versus 11 men nonsense chat to jambos, Leanne Crichton and Mikey Stewart.

Stubbsy90+2
22-10-2022, 07:50 PM
It's a crap point though isn't it. We need to be better at beating 11 men but the games against 10 men aren't there to be judged

St Johnstone away 1st game of season - better team 11 v 11 could have went on to win. We found it harder breaking them down after

Aberdeen game - better 11 v 11, could have went on to win regardless

Motherwell game - could have went on to win regardless

Even last night, the opposite, with 11 v 11 might have went on to win.

You win, lose or draw the games - they all have decisons for and against. We can't measure our ability to win games 11 v 11 if oppositon players get sent off.

Basically, it's not winning v 11 men we need to improve - it's just winning games.. period.

Personally I'll leave the 'how many points v 10 versus 11 men nonsense chat to jambos, Leanne Crichton and Mikey Stewart.

It’s not a crap point at all. Also, the wins v 10 men can be judged up to the point where a player was sent off and that just backs up the point further.

You’ve kind of proven the point to an extent with the games you’ve listed. All of them (and the Kilmarnock game) we weren’t winning whilst we were playing 11 men. Yes, we may have went on to win, but whilst we had 11 men against us, we weren’t winning. In games where we’ve played against 11 the whole game we’ve picked up 4 points in those 8 games. We’ve actually only taken the lead against 11 men on one occasion this season.

It’s not that small a sample size so I’d suggest the point has plenty merit.

SlickShoes
22-10-2022, 07:59 PM
It’s not a crap point at all. Also, the wins v 10 men can be judged up to the point where a player was sent off and that just backs up the point further.

You’ve kind of proven the point to an extent with the games you’ve listed. All of them (and the Kilmarnock game) we weren’t winning whilst we were playing 11 men. Yes, we may have went on to win, but whilst we had 11 men against us, we weren’t winning. In games where we’ve played against 11 the whole game we’ve picked up 4 points in those 8 games. We’ve actually only taken the lead against 11 men on one occasion this season.

So does st johnstones win last night count since we got a red card and they were gash up until that point? Should their fans not accept it?

Stubbsy90+2
22-10-2022, 08:03 PM
So does st johnstones win last night count since we got a red card and they were gash up until that point? Should their fans not accept it?

Where has anyone claimed fans shouldn’t accept wins against 10 men or that wins v 10 men don’t count? :confused:

Pointing out our record v 11 men is very very poor doesn’t mean you’re saying wins v 10 men don’t count..

McGruber
22-10-2022, 10:23 PM

Sorry to disagree, but it is crap IMO

11 men take the field. All games can be judged.

We can only judge the Killie game up to the red card? We match up in that game and they can't live with the pace of Boyle in begind. He's part of our team that's his quality, one of our strengths. He's in behind and brought down with Killie defender sent off last man. They found themselves in that position because they couldn't cope with our play - our play 11 v 11. We go on to win the game... but we can't judge ourselves in that game because whilst their team weren't able to contain us they got a man sent off!

Killie rocked up, couldn't cope, got beat - it's that simple.

To turn round and say well we weren't ahead until after a red card so lets just name check the points we get when it ends with even teams even is meaningless.

We aren't counting on winning games by playing against less than a full quota. It's not some part of the plan. We don't have to 'get lucky' and hope that continues - we just have to win games.

NORTHERNHIBBY
23-10-2022, 03:19 PM
5 out of 10 is about right I think. Not linking up well enough in the final third seems to be our running problem and then it's a mix of how we have done in the other two thirds that determines the result. The window will be pivotal. Arguably, for our best stikers, one is on loan to us and one is injured.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2022, 07:14 PM
I read on another thread that we've taken 4 points from matches where the opposition finishes with 11 players, is that the case?

loanheadhibby
23-10-2022, 07:49 PM
I read on another thread that we've taken 4 points from matches where the opposition finishes with 11 players, is that the case?

According to bbc, that appears to be correct unfortunately.

Assuming win away at Ross County & draw at home to ****bos?

Donegal Hibby
23-10-2022, 10:07 PM
Cabraja insists ' We can finish 3rd ' EEN

Sir David Gray
23-10-2022, 10:08 PM

Yes correct, 2-0 win at Ross County and 1-1 at home to Hearts.

Sir David Gray
23-10-2022, 10:11 PM
Cabraja insists ' We can finish 3rd ' EEN

Good to see he has the belief, we certainly should be aiming for 3rd but there's probably another 5 or 6 teams who have the same belief.

About half the league could finish anywhere from 3rd down to about 8th or 9th.

Logie Green
23-10-2022, 10:39 PM
Good to see he has the belief, we certainly should be aiming for 3rd but there's probably another 5 or 6 teams who have the same belief.

It’s guaranteed that half the teams in the league will finish between 3rd and 8th. 😜

23-10-2022, 10:43 PM
I like how well we've done when teams have had red cards and generally have tried to sit-in and hold onto what they've got. We've turned 2 losing positions into a win and a draw and 3 drawing positions into wins, so we've achieved 13 points out of a possible 15.

So what if most of our points have come in these matches? Anyone using this as a stick to beat the club with is just at it IMO. Players have had red cards against us by breaking the rules and trying to stop us when we've been in a good attacking position. If it had been penalties for us instead of reds for the opposition would people be stating the number of points we'd won in matches where we hadn't got a penalty?

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2022, 10:48 PM
I don't like how well we've done against teams who haven't received a red card.

23-10-2022, 10:51 PM
I don't like how well we've done against teams who haven't received a red card.

Can't have been bothering you too much seeing as you only just realised it today because you read it on another thread.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2022, 10:56 PM
Can't have been bothering you too much seeing as you only just realised it today because you read it on another thread.

I've not been able to keep food down or anything!

Donegal Hibby
23-10-2022, 10:58 PM

I think its always good when you hear players talking positive , it hopefully means they believe in each other and in what the manager and staff are trying to do . Outside top two I think it's possibly going to be one of the tightest leagues in years for European places and down at the bottom . Do think we will finish either 3rd , 4th or at worse 5th . Was looking at our first team and was surprised we have 13 different nationalities .Wonder is this the most our first team have had in our history ?

23-10-2022, 10:58 PM
I've not been able to keep food down or anything!

That is a shame. Try not to fret too much over it, hopefully you can get to sleep tonight.

HUTCHYHIBBY
23-10-2022, 10:59 PM
That is a shame. Try not to fret too much over it, hopefully you can get to sleep tonight.

I'll let you know in the morning, thanks for caring.

23-10-2022, 11:05 PM
I'll let you know in the morning, thanks for caring.

No problem. I do worry about fans that aren't happy unless they have something to be unhappy about.

Sir David Gray
24-10-2022, 09:22 AM
It’s guaranteed that half the teams in the league will finish between 3rd and 8th. 😜

Haha yeah I know, just meant that the quality of most of the teams is so close that from 3rd down to 8th or 9th is likely to be very tight.

Eyrie
24-10-2022, 09:27 AM
Haha yeah I know, just meant that the quality of most of the teams is so close that from 3rd down to 8th or 9th is likely to be very tight.

That makes for a very competitive league which is good for Scottish football.

It also makes not turning our dominance into goals on Friday even more damaging.

SlickShoes
24-10-2022, 09:39 AM
That makes for a very competitive league which is good for Scottish football.

It also makes not turning our dominance into goals on Friday even more damaging.

It would if the two in positions 1 and 2 were in the mix, but since they aren't, it's about the furthest thing I can imagine in a competitive league.

As we can see from the first 12 games, every time out with the top 2 will take points off each other; if our start is a 5/10, then so is just about everyone else, apart from maybe the team at the bottom.

We aren't great but we aren't miles off our target position. I can see us improving which last season did not look remotely possible with the squad we had.

Eyrie
24-10-2022, 04:31 PM
It would if the two in positions 1 and 2 were in the mix, but since they aren't, it's about the furthest thing I can imagine in a competitive league.

As we can see from the first 12 games, every time out with the top 2 will take points off each other; if our start is a 5/10, then so is just about everyone else, apart from maybe the team at the bottom.

We aren't great but we aren't miles off our target position. I can see us improving which last season did not look remotely possible with the squad we had.

I automatically discount the Ugly Sisters due to their massive financial advantage.

So if at least half the teams are on a par, then that's competitive and healthy for the league. It's bad enough having two teams treat the title as their own private plaything without the other ten being split into equally distinctive tiers of Europe, also rans and relegation candidates with the same 3-4 clubs in each mini-league every season.

Steven1985
24-10-2022, 05:01 PM

I’m giving it a 5. We’ve been more enjoyable to watch but the results have been no more than decent and the league cup debacle drags that rating down as well. From what I’ve seen so far I think we’ll be on the cusp of top 6/bottom 6, no more, no less and tbh, that’s not really good enough. I'm giving it a 9. I'm on the outside looking in so I'm honestly not taking the piss. Same old Hibs so far, but a full house against St J on a Friday night???? Massive effort. Sell more tickets, sell more tat and buy/pay better players. I know football is dear to most and is supposed to be a sport. It's just a business.

Edit: Actually I'll take that back. Football is not "Just a business". Run it like one, one will be fine.