PDA

View Full Version : European Super League relaunch?

Chorley Hibee
20-10-2022, 09:19 AM
Seems we haven't seen the last of it...

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1582704978363174912?t=-WlbGUWXfz17XaJsHZg9sQ&s=19

Antifa Hibs
20-10-2022, 09:34 AM
Don't see the big deal with it. Football at that level is already a complete farce anyway.

Also some laugh seeing the likes of Gary Neville taking any sort of moral high ground with regards to modern football.

If it annoys the premier League and sky sports - bring it on.

Diclonius
20-10-2022, 09:56 AM
Elite football doesn't really interest me any more and this would be the nail in the coffin. I wouldn't watch it nor support any television network that has rights to it.

Since90+2
20-10-2022, 10:00 AM
The changes to the Champions League in 2024 move it closer to that format anyway.

For anyone who's not seen it, instead of playing individual groups it will consist of 1 big league of 36 teams with teams playing 6 or 8 games (can't remember which).
Effectively teams will play 2 games against the very top teams,2 against the middle sides and 2 against the bottom. Ranked on coefficient I believe.

There is then automatic promotion for the top 10 or so and a playoff for the middle section to qualify for the last 16.

Same setup for Europa and Conference leagues. Also no dropping down competitions, so no teams from UCL wil drop to UEL for example.

They are also planning to play Champions League games on Saturdays. Not sure if that also applies to the other 2 competitions.

Antifa Hibs
20-10-2022, 10:06 AM
The changes to the Champions League in 2024 move it closer to that format anyway.

For anyone who's not seen it, instead of playing individual groups it will consist of 1 big league of 36 teams with teams playing 6 or 8 games (can't remember which).
Effectively teams will play 2 games against the very top teams,2 against the middle sides and 2 against the bottom. Ranked on coefficient I believe.

There is then automatic promotion for the top 10 or so and a playoff for the middle section to qualify for the last 16.

Same setup for Europa and Conference leagues. Also no dropping down competitions, so no teams from UCL wil drop to UEL for example.

They are also planning to play Champions League games on Saturdays. Not sure if that also applies to the other 2 competitions.

Isn't there 2 invitations up for grabs aswell? So if Utd and Juve finished the season outside the top 4 they could be invited to play in the Champions League.

Pagan Hibernia
20-10-2022, 10:07 AM

Effectively they'll play 2 games against the very top teams,2 against the middle sides and 2 against the bottom. There is then automatic promotion for the top 10 or so and a playoff for the middle section to qualify for the last 16.

well I’m glad of that if nothing else.

it annoys the hell out of me that the likes of rangers and Celtic get 3 bites of the cherry before they finally get booted out of Europe. Like a particularly persistent turd that has to be flushed three times (and still leaves a smear behind when it finally goes).

the other changes you mention are awful, but I suppose they’d bother me a lot more if I hadn’t already lost interest in the CL years ago.

Since90+2
20-10-2022, 10:09 AM
Isn't there 2 invitations up for grabs aswell? So if Utd and Juve finished the season outside the top 4 they could be invited to play in the Champions League.

I've not seen that, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Since90+2
20-10-2022, 10:11 AM
well I’m glad of that if nothing else.

it annoys the hell out of me that the likes of rangers and Celtic get 3 bites of the cherry before they finally get booted out of Europe. Like a particularly persistent turd that has to be flushed three times (and still leaves a smear behind when it finally goes).

the other changes you mention are awful, but I suppose they’d bother me a lot more if I hadn’t already lost interest in the CL years ago.

I'm not certain of this, but I think you can drop down in the qualification stages, but not in the group stages as at the moment a 3rd place finish allows them to drop into the lower competition.

Chorley Hibee
20-10-2022, 10:19 AM

Yes, you're correct, based upon historical performance.

As some have said, this farce will happen under whatever guise they dress it up as.

Irish_Steve
20-10-2022, 10:36 AM

Surely "The Famous" since they are so famously famous will be one of those invites?? Mad Vlad's plan may come to fruition!

.Sean.
20-10-2022, 01:12 PM

One thing I do like about that is the no parachuting down the tournaments. Once you’re out you’re out