PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee Utd 11 10 22)

Jonnyboy
11-10-2022, 10:22 PM
I watched at home, so my thoughts are based on the TV pictures.

Lee Johnson went with the same eleven again and indeed there was no change to those named on the bench either. With four consecutive wins under their belt, Hibs would have gone into this game in confident mood. The hosts too had reason to be confident given their 4-0 demolition of Aberdeen, last time out.

Hibs started the game well and forced an early corner but that came to nothing. Then United began to flex their muscles when Middleton should have done better that hitting the side netting and McGrath had a shot blocked before it reached Marshall. The hosts were swarming all over any Hibs player in possession and it was having a positive effect as McMann and Middleton threatened to break the deadlock. On the ten minute mark, Hanlon rose to meet a corner but could only steer his header wide of the post. Sixty seconds later, Hibs were behind as a result of some pretty sloppy defending by Cadden who allowed Behich to wriggle past him before firing in a shot which Marshall looked to have covered before the ball looked to deflect off Porteous and into the net.

For the next fifteen minutes or so, Hibs just never got going and United had their measure by defending deep and denying space in behind. That tactic basically nullified Boyle and Youan who were peripheral figures. A Kuharevich shot failed to trouble the keeper and Newell was well wide of the target with a long range effort. Soon after, Boyle got the break of the ball on the edge of the box, but his well struck shot hit Eriksson on the legs and was cleared away. At the other end, Middleton smashed a shot over the bar after being challenged by Newell and then Hibs looked to have equalised when Kuharevich looped a shot over the keeper. Astonishingly, the assistant referee flagged for offside when it was evident in real time and even more so in the replay that the big striker was well onside when the ball was played towards him. A truly shocking decision.

United were looking to double their lead by playing on the counter attack and they nearly caught Hibs out as the ball reached Sibbald in the box, but his shot was blocked. As the half drew to a close, Porteous tried an audacious effort from all of thirty yards, but the ball was wide of the target and then Cabraja and Freeman indulged in a bit of handbags with their names joining that of Ryan Edwards in the book.

At half time I would imaging Lee Johnson made it clear that he wanted us playing on the front foot and moving the ball more quickly. To assist in that, he replaced Kenneh with Henderson and the anonymous Youan with McKirdy. Certainly, Hibs were more purposeful in their approach but too often the final pass was poor and United were happy to just bide their time and look to hit on the break. A McKirdy shot, from a tight angle, forced the keeper to push the ball behind his left hand post before Middleton broke free but his shot was blocked.

Ewan Henderson hesitated just a fraction too long when deep inside the United box and his shot went wide as he was bumped into by Ryan Edwards. Next to try his luck was Kuharevich but the strike was straight at the keeper and easily saved. United were defending well and conceded a corner which was delivered by Newell onto the head of Porteous, but Ryan couldn’t get enough power on it to trouble the keeper. It was Porteous again as Hibs strived to equalise but again the effort was weak before Boyle should have burst the net as he ran on to a loose ball, but he blasted it over the bar. A long ball released Kuharevich but as he broke clear and faced the keeper his dinked shot rolled agonisingly wide.

A high ball into the Hibs box was competed for by Porteous and Edwards and the United man clearly caught Porteous with an elbow. Quite how the referee missed that is a mystery as Porteous needed quite lengthy treatment. It is a clear cut case for the Compliance Officer though I won’t hold my breath on that one.

With twenty minutes left, Sibbald was booked for scything down McKirdy and was immediately replaced by Ian Harkes. Hibs were pushing higher and higher and United looked to release Tony Watt who was loitering just inside his own half, but the United man failed to get the better of Porteous and was booked for fouling the Hibs defender. Soon after Boyle skied another effort, Hibs replaced Cabraja, and Cadden with Tavares and Fish as Johnson tried to put even more pressure on the United massed defence. Hibs were getting plenty of the ball but were rushing things too much and chances eluded them because of that. Kuharevich then forced the keeper into a decent save with the ball being tipped over the bar for a corner.

With time running out there was another bizarre incident involving the referee and the far side assistant. Freeman clearly allowed the ball to cross the line for what should have been a Hibs throw but the assistant missed it when he was only a yard away. Freeman continued towards the Hibs box and was upended by Hanlon who was booked. The ref gave United a free kick outside the Hibs box when Hanlon’s challenge was clearly inside the area. No wonder Scottish football fans complain about match officials.

Referee Anderson was at it again as the game moved into time added when he called a free kick for a challenge on Porteous who had shrugged off the challenge and continued towards the United goal. A clear case of needing to play the advantage rule but instead he booked the United player and that allowed them to get everyone back to defend the resultant free kick.

United then kept the ball in the corner to run down the clock which is frustrating but the sort of thing a team winning 1-0 will do. When Hibs finally gained possession there was one last chance to salvage a point but the header from Kuharevich was well held by the keeper.

This was a very frustrating night and I find it really hard to understand how we left Tannadice without at least a share of the spoils. For me our placid approach in the first half was unacceptable and laid the foundation for United to frustrate us to the final whistle because all of our second half play was too rushed and unstructured.

The players

Marshall – Horribly exposed for the goal it was his numerous sweeper/keeper events that kept him busy.

Cadden – I felt he was very poor at the goal and that he struggled for the rest of the time he was on the pitch.

Porteous – Tried so hard to push us on and took a few heavy knocks, including that assault by Ryan Edwards.

Hanlon – Like Ryan, he tried his best to get us up the park but there was a disappointing lack of movement ahead of him.

Cabraja – Defended well enough but let his personal feud with Freeman distract him from the job at hand.

Kenneh – Poor from him. Caught in possession a few times and rightly replaced at half time.

Boyle – With no space to run into Boyler was missing in action for large parts of the game.

Newell – Very poor first half but better in the second without really constructing anything.

Campbell – His usual energy but I felt he was not at it tonight.

Youan – He’s young and he’s learning but I suggest he does that learning with the Development side. Really poor tonight and rightfully hooked at half time. Could and should have been earlier.

Kuharevich – Had a perfectly good goal disallowed.

Henderson – Brought on to create but didn’t do a lot of that.

McKirdy – Ran about a lot and had words with the ref. One good shot at goal.

Tavares – See McKirdy but leave out the bit about the ref and the shot at goal.

Fish – Looked solid enough at the back and that allowed Porteous more freedom to rove.

Magennis – Unsure why it was left so late to bring him on.

Lee Johnson – I’ve just read his remarks and I guess he’s right to an extent as we did make chances but other than the Kuharevich dink over the keeper the rest were half chances at best. I also read his views on the disallowed goal, and it seems it was for a foul rather than offside. Just how the assistant could make that call is mystifying to say the least. Like Lee, I’m a frustrated person tonight as I’ve come to expect more from these players.

Referee – Euan Anderson got more wrong than right so it’s normal service, I guess.

DaveF
12-10-2022, 05:39 AM
I'm certain that the ref looks over at the linesman hoping for a flag and when there is no offside then they have had a quick chat and made up the foul. He definitely looks over but the camera cuts to the celebration so difficult to tell after that.

Youan is certainly in need of a spell out. His 'shot' from 30 yards that went 30 yards wide was not his finest moment.

We did start slowly and that set the to e for the first half. Far too many below par performances.

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2022, 05:50 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Henderson Tavares and Youan not good enough for HIBS

A few others on the periphery that can / should be replaced

Need decent experienced additions in January

Oh for a fat wee barrel like Joe Harper that can score goals

If Boyle’s not at it we might as well go home

Totally toothless

The standard of Refereeing in Scotland is pathetic

Nothing wrong with our goal and valid claims for a penalty

The end of another false dawn

I would love it just love it if United went down :greengrin

JimBHibees
12-10-2022, 06:11 AM
I'm certain that the ref looks over at the linesman hoping for a flag and when there is no offside then they have had a quick chat and made up the foul. He definitely looks over but the camera cuts to the celebration so difficult to tell after that.

Youan is certainly in need of a spell out. His 'shot' from 30 yards that went 30 yards wide was not his finest moment.

We did start slowly and that set the to e for the first half. Far too many below par performances.

Exactly what it looked like it wasn't offside so contrive a foul to rule the goal. If the ref seen it he would have pointed right away which he didn't. Definitely looking for a reason to rule it out. Cheating imo.

bigwheel
12-10-2022, 06:29 AM

Totally toothless

I wouldn’t see it as a “false dawn”. We’ve done well recently but We’re not going to go on a win ever game outside the old firm . Players aren’t robots. They will have mixed performances.

We were good enough in the second half to get something out of the game. Poor finishing was ultimately our downfall .

bigwheel
12-10-2022, 06:31 AM

At the game the referee pointed to his ears (to signal someone had told him something ) and then simulated the “push “ movement, to signify the decision was for a push . He hadn’t seen it . Weirdly the linesman, if it was him, didn’t flag for it. Made me wonder if it was the fourth official.

B.H.F.C
12-10-2022, 06:51 AM
At the game the referee pointed to his ears (to signal someone had told him something ) and then simulated the “push “ movement, to signify the decision was for a push . He hadn’t seen it . Weirdly the linesman, if it was him, didn’t flag for it. Made me wonder if it was the fourth official.

They’ve made something up IMO. As you say the ref looked over to the linesman but there was no flag. LJ said he was told it was for a push but that doesn’t make sense because the ref raised his hand for an indirect free kick. If it was given for a push, it wouldn’t be an indirect free kick.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2022, 06:57 AM

Totally toothless

Oh well, thats all it took. 4 wins, 1 loss, we've turned on the players.

Toothless but scored a perfectly good goal? I mean :faf:

BoomtownHibees
12-10-2022, 07:14 AM

Surely “toothless” is a decent enough description when talking about how many goals we scored versus how many chances we created?

Toothless meaning: “lacking genuine force or effectiveness”

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2022, 07:32 AM
Surely “toothless” is a decent enough description when talking about how many goals we scored versus how many chances we created?

Toothless meaning: “lacking genuine force or effectiveness”

We don't lack force of effectiveness, though. We lacked finishing 2nd half last night. We've very effective going forward.

BoomtownHibees
12-10-2022, 07:41 AM
We don't lack force of effectiveness, though. We lacked finishing 2nd half last night. We've very effective going forward.

We lacked finishing means we weren’t very effective at it though surely?

Brightside
12-10-2022, 07:46 AM

No one is turning on the players. Stop over reacting. We were poor in the final 3rd last night. Of that there is no doubt. What’s worrying for me is we were worse after the changes.

Key West
12-10-2022, 07:49 AM

Totally toothless

Every time we lose somebody is not good enough for Hibs, what in context does that actually mean? We're not Real Madrid.

MWHIBBIES
12-10-2022, 08:01 AM
No one is turning on the players. Stop over reacting. We were poor in the final 3rd last night. Of that there is no doubt. What’s worrying for me is we were worse after the changes.

Totally toothless

Yeah, no one at all.

Can a player not just play poorly anymore? They have to be not good enough or brilliant. Nothing in between?

superfurryhibby
12-10-2022, 08:09 AM
Frustrating night for Hibs.

There was a big Hibs turnout at Tannadice last night, which made the performance and result all the more disappointing for me. It's been an age since I bothered travelling to a midweek away game and I was reminded of why as we made our way home. Fortunately, I'm able to sleep at the drop of a hat these days and I again turned on the style as I snored and twitched my way back down the M90 (I wasn't driving).

Overall, Hibs were the better side. Utd looked dangerous on the counter attack, but they were also cynical in wasting time and generally play acting their way to victory (Tony Watt, what a tosser).

Hibs created a fair amount of chances, we could have (should have) scored a few of them. The disallowed goal was a strange one, having not seen the highlights, I'm not sure as to why it wasn't allowed to stand.

The team is crying out for someone to finish what we create. Big Mykola did alright, but he missed a golden opportunity and for all that he can play, he's far from deadly in the box.

Fine margins in football etc, Hibs have ridden their luck at times in the recent good run. I think last night was the opposite and we were unfortunate with some key decisions.

Tannadice. Seats were so cramped and **** knows where the pehs were (we were in the Jerry Kerr bit). I do like that auld bit of terracing in the corner. Maybe one day it can become a safe standing area

DaveF
12-10-2022, 08:09 AM

Were we? I thought we had more chances 2nd half than first.

Hibby Bairn
12-10-2022, 08:14 AM
Youan gives their player a wee push in the back before attempting the scissor kick.

BILLYHIBS
12-10-2022, 08:22 AM
Yeah, no one at all.

Can a player not just play poorly anymore? They have to be not good enough or brilliant. Nothing in between?

Stand by my post

Henderson Tavares and Youan are not making it at Hibs in my humble opinion

Good to see my post has generated so much debate

It is what it is all about

Yes we did have a good goal disallowed for whatever reason ?

Yes we need someone that can stick the ball into the back of the net

As a wee aside I thought Kukharevych’s technique for his overhead kick was superb

He looks a good player but hardly prolific

Shame his goal was not allowed to stand

Onwards to Saturday

DaveF
12-10-2022, 08:23 AM
Youan gives their player a wee push in the back before attempting the scissor kick.

There are 100 plus clashes like that in every game. It's a nonsense to even consider it a foul. The United players are not bothered at all.

Brightside
12-10-2022, 08:33 AM

I thought we were a mess from a shape point of view. Players almost running into each other. We had more attempts due to us chasing the game and running out of time. Kenneh will have better games for sure but I’d have had Newell off before him last night.

Brightside
12-10-2022, 08:35 AM
Yeah, no one at all.

I don’t think that’s turning on them. He probably had the same opinion on those players prior to last night. I dont think Henderson and Jair provide anything for us and I’d like us to have better. I’m still hopeful on Youan.

Since452
12-10-2022, 08:56 AM
It was a bad day at the office but we should have had a point at the very least. I can take us losing games when we were a bit unlucky. We were still trying to do the right things but they just weren't coming off. On to Glasgow.

Bushwoof
12-10-2022, 09:46 AM
A bit harsh on McKirdy, that. He had 2 decent shots, and some clever link up play that was squandered by his team mates. Delivered more in his 45 mins than Boyle did over the 90.

I should add that it's also a bit harsh to judge Tavares on 10 mins where he didn't do much wrong.

erin go bragh
12-10-2022, 11:34 AM
A bit harsh on McKirdy, that. He had 2 decent shots, and some clever link up play that was squandered by his team mates. Delivered more in his 45 mins than Boyle did over the 90.

I should add that it's also a bit harsh to judge Tavares on 10 mins where he didn't do much wrong.

Agree regarding McKirdy and he has to start before Youhan imo . Taveres doesn’t look like he will make it at this level and tbh I’ve watched him in the reserve league and he doesn’t stand out there either.

DaveF
12-10-2022, 12:32 PM
I thought we were a mess from a shape point of view. Players almost running into each other. We had more attempts due to us chasing the game and running out of time. Kenneh will have better games for sure but I’d have had Newell off before him last night.

There was certainly a bit of organised chaos going on but at least we were getting people bombing forward - something Johnson said he would do even if it meant being open to counters.

I don't really have much of an issue with that. It was the lack of quality when we had those opportunities which irked me.

JimBHibees
12-10-2022, 12:57 PM

Yep we created more second half

ehf
12-10-2022, 01:15 PM
Every time we lose somebody is not good enough for Hibs, what in context does that actually mean? We're not Real Madrid.

It means that, with our resources, we should be able to get better.