PDA

View Full Version : David Marshall

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2022, 06:43 AM
Reminds me of when we got Jim Leighton. Such an important part of the current team. Inspired signing. Top goalkeeper.

Trinity Hibee
09-10-2022, 06:45 AM
Yes he does. Much better with ball at his feet than Jim though!

He is such an improvement on what we’ve had recently.

Libby Hibby
09-10-2022, 06:45 AM
Of all the new signings this season, his has been the most important.

Such a composed, confident and very good goal keeper.

And his distribution? Simply wow.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2022, 06:50 AM
Yes he does. Much better with ball at his feet than Jim though!

He is such an improvement on what we’ve had recently.

Yeah, Jim wasn't great with the ball at his feet, though I guess he came from that era before the back pass rule. Marshall's distribution is 1st class. Just think his signing reminds me of Leighton in terms of experience and importance to the team.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2022, 06:59 AM
With Marshall, we have got more than just a fantastic keeper, we have also got a player who can play as an old fashioned sweeper.

He is so good with his feet, the defence are comfortable in letting him start the play out from the back, giving us an extra player and option when doing so.:top marks

Pretty Boy
09-10-2022, 07:04 AM
I was a big critic of Macey last season to the point I was accused of having a vendetta against him. The stock response was 'we won't get much better at our level'. The signing of Marshall blows that argument out of the water and then some.

Macey wasn't a bad keeper and he didn't make a lot of obvious howlers. However he was often indecisive and you could see that spread out from him throughout the team. His kicking was also appalling. Every keeper will have a couple of dodgy kicks in a game but with Macey almost every goal kick was a lottery, he was nervy with the ball at his feet and in tight situation knocking the ball back to him just wasn't an option, it had to be a clearance which resulted in either a 50/50 ball or surrendering possession by gifting the opposition a throw in.

Saying a keeper is a 'good shot stopper' is damned with faint praise, all professional (and amateur for that matter) keepers should be good shot stoppers. It's all the other stuff that makes a keeper great. Macey was a good shot stopper, as is Marshall. The difference is the confidence Marshall exudes. If he's coming for the ball, he gets it. If he's not, he's telling the defence how to deal with it. He's an amazing out ball. You can give him the ball in very tight situations and know his first touch is spot on, he can pick a pass and it's accurate, he makes smart decisions with the ball at his feet and rarely puts a defender under pressure, he can beat a man if he has to and even when he has to knock it long 1st time you know it will be a good clean contact and travel a decent distance. Being a good keeper now means being a good football player. It's why I despair when I see youth teams allowing CBs to take goal kicks because they can kick it the furthest. Any keeper not learning how to play with the ball at his feet is not going to develop in the way a modern keeper needs to.

It's night and day from last season. Had we had Marshall last season we would have been top 6 even with all the other issues. This season if we finish 3rd or 4th a huge part of that will be down to him. A huge signing for us and a massive upgrade.

bingo70
09-10-2022, 07:14 AM
I was a big critic of Macey last season to the point I was accused of having a vendetta against him. The stock response was 'we won't get much better at our level'. The signing of Marshall blows that argument out of the water and then some.

Macey wasn't a bad keeper and he didn't make a lot of obvious howlers. However he was often indecisive and you could see that spread out from him throughout the team. His kicking was also appalling. Every keeper will have a couple of dodgy kicks again but with Macey almost every goal kick was a lottery, he was nervy with the ball at his feet and in tight situation knocking the ball back to him just wasn't an option, it had to be a clearance which resulted in either a 50/50 ball or surrendering possession by gifting the opposition a throw in.

Saying a keeper is a 'good shot stopper' is damned with faint praise, all professional (and amateur for that matter) keepers should be good shot stoppers. It's all the other stuff that makes a keeper great. Macey was a good shot stopper, as is Marshall. The difference is the confidence Marshall exudes. If he's coming for the ball, he gets it. If he's not, he's telling the defence how to deal with it. He's an amazing out all. You can give him the ball in very tight situations and know his first touch is spot on, he can pick a pass and it's accurate, he makes smart decisions with the ball at his feet and rarely puts a defender under pressure, he can beat a man if he has to and even when he has to knock it long 1st time you know it will be a good clean contact and travel a decent distance.

It's night and day from last season. Had we had Marshall last season we would have been top 6 even with all the other issues. This season if we finish 3rd or 4th a huge part of that will be down to him. A huge signing for us and a massive upgrade.

Couldn’t agree more and I’m delighted to see this part of goalkeeping getting recognised.

My boy is a young goalie just starting out and I’m always trying to get it through to him it’s not all about making top corner worldies. Feels to me like Marshall is the perfect example for a young goalie.

Just go out, do the basics right every time, don’t do anything daft and it’s more than half the battle for a goalie. I think it was Peter Schmeichal that said half the time when goalies are making big saves it’s because they’ve not got the basics like positioning and communication right in the first place. Allison at Liverpool was recognised for that too, just always happened to be in the right place to make saves look simple.

RIP
09-10-2022, 07:16 AM
And it is telling that Macey is now third choice keeper at Luton.

Stubbsy90+2
09-10-2022, 07:21 AM

Yup. Macey was a really poor keeper imo.

Marshall on the other hand is exceptional. Every bit as good as Gordon - maybe not quite as good a shot stopper but infinitely better with the ball.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2022, 07:25 AM
Yup. Macey was a really poor keeper imo.

Marshall on the other hand is exceptional. Every bit as good as Gordon.

Has 2 years on Gordon and McGregor. Marshall signed a 2 year deal but no reason why he cannot play another year on top of that, injuries permitting.

KeithTheHibby
09-10-2022, 07:42 AM
I wonder what manager actually signed him? Maloney?

Trinity Hibee
09-10-2022, 07:43 AM

Think discussions started under Maloney. He signed formally once he’d left but it could have been done when Maloney was still here I guess

KeithTheHibby
09-10-2022, 07:44 AM
Think discussions started under Maloney. He signed formally once he’d left but it could have been done when Maloney was still here I guess

About the only thing he got right if that’s the case.

kentao
09-10-2022, 07:49 AM
Best signing of the season for me, Should have really had an assist yesterday after a long ball to Youan that took out the defender, if only for a better touch he would have been 1 v 1 with the keeper.

Green_one
09-10-2022, 07:59 AM
Best signing of the season for me, Should have really had an assist yesterday after a long ball to Youan that took out the defender, if only for a better touch he would have been 1 v 1 with the keeper.

As an older fan I have been lucky enough to see several excellent Hibs keepers.

Good that we have returned to that sort of level A good goalkeeper is a key part of any team, not just some plug in we have had in the past

Borderhibbie76
09-10-2022, 08:09 AM
What a signing he has been, feels good not to panic every time our keeper has the ball at his feet, you did with Macey last season and even Rocky was a poor kicker, albeit a superb shot stopper. Marsh is the best we've had since the Leighton and Goram days defo

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-10-2022, 08:22 AM
Would expect him to see out his career with us which gives us the stability that was missing with Rocky. We also now have the template for our younger players to copy. Longer term, a quality goalie who has come through our system to be a regular in the first team would be a fantastic achievement.

makaveli1875
09-10-2022, 08:29 AM
Yeah, Jim wasn't great with the ball at his feet, though I guess he came from that era before the back pass rule. Marshall's distribution is 1st class. Just think his signing reminds me of Leighton in terms of experience and importance to the team.

Mind might be playing tricks on me but I’m sure old jimbo at Easter rd in a derby kicked the ball straight to Colin Cameron unmarked about 20 yards from goal who obviously put it straight into the back of the net .

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2022, 08:42 AM
Mind might be playing tricks on me but I’m sure old jimbo at Easter rd in a derby kicked the ball straight to Colin Cameron unmarked about 20 yards from goal who obviously put it straight into the back of the net .

He did, though it was John Colquhoun not Colin Cameron. :boo hoo:

Further to previous post, srange how Hibs have never nutured a goalkeeper through our own system. We've had many talented players over the past few years, Riordan, O'Connor, Brown, Fletcher, Whittaker, Porteous etc but never a goalkeeper and as we've seen, a very good goalkeeper is as valuable to a team as a Riordan, Brown or Porteous.

JimBHibees
09-10-2022, 08:45 AM
Brilliant keeper and made a key save in the second half. Was right down the line of the shot from ff upper and it was sneaking in at the post.

He's here!
09-10-2022, 09:05 AM

Further to previous post, srange how Hibs have never nutured a goalkeeper through our own system. We've had many talented players over the past few years, Riordan, O'Connor, Brown, Fletcher, Whittaker, Porteous etc but never a goalkeeper and as we've seen, a very good goalkeeper is as valuable to a team as a Riordan, Brown or Porteous.

Going back to club's greatest era I'm pretty sure Tommy Younger started his career with Hibs. Great keeper who my dad idolised (along with pretty much all of that team) and who was also a Scotland regular. Think his successor Lawrie Leslie also started his pro career at Hibs.

In more recent times I think Chris Reid and Robin Rae came through the youth system though never really secured a regular first team spot, while 2007 League Cup winner Andy McNeill was a young lad when he joined us.

Northernhibee
09-10-2022, 09:09 AM

Oxley got hounded for a lot less than Macey was guilty of week in, week out.

He's here!
09-10-2022, 09:10 AM

Yep the passback rule was an issue for Jim but he was a phenomenal keeper. Alex Miller knew how important a keeper with real presence was as he also signed Andy Goram. Budgie wasn't in the same class as those two but was nevertheless a hugely strong presence between the posts.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2022, 09:27 AM
Going back to club's greatest era I'm pretty sure Tommy Younger started his career with Hibs. Great keeper who my dad idolised (along with pretty much all of that team) and who was also a Scotland regular. Think his successor Lawrie Leslie also started his pro career at Hibs.

In more recent times I think Chris Reid and Robin Rae came through the youth system though never really secured a regular first team spot, while 2007 League Cup winner Andy McNeill was a young lad when he joined us.

Younger a bit before my time. :greengrin

Andy McNeil done ok. A cup winner, a bit hard done by to be replaced by Makalamby. :rolleyes: Chris Reid was unfortunate to be understudy to Goram and only got a game or two when Goram was injured.

I guess Dawbrowski could be a good goalkeeper, though not likely to get a game ahead of a fit Marshall at the moment.

Eyrie
09-10-2022, 09:35 AM
Brilliant keeper and made a key save in the second half. Was right down the line of the shot from ff upper and it was sneaking in at the post.

That save effectively earned us two points.

I know the game would have been different had it gone in but there is no guarantee we would have scored again and always the possibility of losing another on the counter.

Trinity Hibee
09-10-2022, 10:54 AM
I just want to know when the keeper top he wore yesterday will be on sale

bingo70
09-10-2022, 10:58 AM
I just want to know when the keeper top he wore yesterday will be on sale

Was like the Bukta away Macbean strip, thought it was absolutely brilliant.

Trinity Hibee
09-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Was like the Bukta away Macbean strip, thought it was absolutely brilliant.

Was my first Hibs top that

HFC93
09-10-2022, 11:42 AM
His distribution is amazing. Best goalkeeper we've had in a long time.

B.H.F.C
09-10-2022, 11:49 AM
We’ve only lost 7 goals in 9 games and he’s a big part of that.

He actually doesn’t have that much to do because we’re so organised in front of him at the moment but, again, he plays a big part in that. He is constantly talking and the defence clearly have confidence in him.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2022, 11:54 AM
Was Reid not understudy to Budgie as well? I know he left quite soon after he was caught bonking one of the women in the Hibs shop as well, I'm sure it was in the papers at the time...

He was at the club for a fair number of years, even under Leighton as well.

I do wonder how Mowbray or Collins teams would have done with a goalkeeper of the calibre of Marshall/Leighton or Goram rather a Simon Brown, Malkowski or Makalamby, was a major downfall of those sides.

brog
09-10-2022, 11:58 AM
We’ve only lost 7 goals in 9 games and he’s a big part of that.

He actually doesn’t have that much to do because we’re so organised in front of him at the moment but, again, he plays a big part in that. He is constantly talking and the defence clearly have confidence in him.

I'm with you 100% on that. His save mentioned above was excellent, but I think most keepers would have expected to save it. It was Well' s only shot on target. The real difference to me is the body language and attitude of our defence. They look so confident now in comparison to recent seasons, even when Rocky was in goal.

Stevie Reid
09-10-2022, 12:00 PM

IIRC, John Colquhoun scored a 35 yard lob over Leighton at ER, but the there were two incidents (in separate games) where he gave the ball right to Cameron, who scored both times.

Anyway, getting back to the topic, Marshall has been absolutely superb. I liked Macey but Marshall is a massive upgrade in every possible way. The back four are clearly so comfortable with him behind them, and that shows in our defensive record. His distribution is a key part in our attacking play also.

Glad he’s retired from international football too, keeping him fit will be absolutely crucial.

jeffers
09-10-2022, 12:08 PM
Can’t think of us having a better keeper since Andy Goram. Rocky was excellent but overall I think Marshall is better. His composure with the ball at his feet is so calming. Brilliant signing.

LaMotta
09-10-2022, 12:16 PM

Was defo Colin Cameron that scored that one - Jim Duffy's first game when he arrived in the helicopter.

https://youtu.be/5lOWfZGaBoI

Leighton was tremendous for us but would have got slaughtered by fans these days for his kicking. Every mistake these days is captured on camera and then replayed to death on social media. Leighton and Goram got away with a fair few mistakes between them at Hibs.

Pretty Boy
09-10-2022, 12:31 PM
Was defo Colin Cameron that scored that one - Jim Duffy's first game when he arrived in the helicopter.

Leighton was tremendous for us but would have got slaughtered by fans these days for his kicking. Every mistake these days is captured on camera and then replayed to death on social media. Leighton and Goram got away with a fair few mistakes between them at Hibs.

Kicking was far less of an issue for a keeper in Leighton's day. Most teams saw the passback rule as a burden and keepers either hit the ball 1st time or it was one touch and away. When they had the ball in hand the vast majority kicked it from hand, the guys who rolled it, took a couple of touches and then picked a pass were the exception. Now kicking from hand is the rarity and teams try to force keepers to do it (as Motherwell did to Marshall late on yesterday).

I always point to Edwin Van Der Sar as being the first true footballing goalkeeper. There were good kickers before, someone mentioned Peter Schmeichel earlier in the thread and Andy Goram really excelled at it too. It's really no surprise Ajax saw the change in rules as an opportunity rather than a problem though. They utilised their then young goalkeeper as an extra player. Rather than have him just hoof 50/50 balls, he was taking touches, picking passes, making angles for defenders and offering an out ball. He excelled at it until his retirement. Barthez was doing similar albeit with added flicks, tricks and stepovers at Marseille around about the same time. Manuel Neuer credits VDS as the first though so that's good enough for me.

Nowadays every really good keeper is at it but in the 90s those guys stood out. As such I think you have to judge keepers of their time. Leighton had a couple of howlers with the ball at his feet but kicking wasn't a real concern when judging a keeper then. Now if you aren't a good kicker then you aren't getting anywhere near the top level.

JimBHibees
09-10-2022, 12:49 PM
IIRC, John Colquhoun scored a 35 yard lob over Leighton at ER, but the there were two incidents (in separate games) where he gave the ball right to Cameron, who scored both times.

Anyway, getting back to the topic, Marshall has been absolutely superb. I liked Macey but Marshall is a massive upgrade in every possible way. The back four are clearly so comfortable with him behind them, and that shows in our defensive record. His distribution is a key part in our attacking play also.

Glad he’s retired from international football too, keeping him fit will be absolutely crucial.

Was it not Roughie who Colquhoun lobbed can remember he scored two in a derby at ER when Dougie Bell was unplayable 2 2.

ekhibee
09-10-2022, 12:49 PM

I do wonder how Mowbray or Collins teams would have done with a goalkeeper of the calibre of Marshall/Leighton or Goram rather a Simon Brown, Malkowski or Makalamby, was a major downfall of those sides.

Totally agree, also the Scandinavian goalie we had around that time, I think it was Daniel Anderson, he was a good keeper as well. Mowbray has to take responsibility for Malkowski, he gave him a 5 year contract.

He's here!
09-10-2022, 12:54 PM

As discussed Leighton struggled if put under pressure with the ball at his feet and that did lead to a couple of high-profile calamities, but I am struggling to recall Goram making any significant errors. Vague memory of him maybe spilling a shot at Tannadice, but overall he was rock solid throughout his career.

Hibees1973
09-10-2022, 12:56 PM
Great all round keeper.

Fantastic distribution and hopefully with us, fully fit, for the next 3-4 years.

Brilliant base at the spine of the team going forward.

He's here!
09-10-2022, 01:00 PM

Indeed. I have never believed you need a superlative goalkeeper to be a successful team (eg despite having a good number of international keepers on our books down the years, the guys who played in goal in our three most recent cup wins were Budgie, McNeil and Logan) but they have to be competent enough to inspire confidence in their team-mates. Some of those Mowbray/Collins era keepers could set the nerves jangling throughout the team.

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2022, 01:01 PM

Had forgotten about that one, tried to forget about the whole game tbh. Colquhoun's goal was at the Dunbar end and from about 40 yards. The pass back rule only came in 1992 and by that time Leighton was already in his mid 30s so I guess struggled with the rule change at that stage of his career.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 01:08 PM
Talk of Leighton has brought back vague memories of a game I was at years ago . Hibs v Partick thistle at Firhill stadium in the cup .Leighton in goals for Hibs and game went to penalty's and I think Leighton saved a couple to get us through . Anyone remember the game ?

yerauldda
09-10-2022, 01:10 PM
What a player. Love him.

Stevie Reid
09-10-2022, 01:11 PM
Was it not Roughie who Colquhoun lobbed can remember he scored two in a derby at ER when Dougie Bell was unplayable 2 2.

Wasn’t at that game so maybe scored a similar goal but Colquhoun definitely lobbed Leighton from 35/40 yards in a 2-0 defeat at ER that he scored both goals in. JL also made mistakes that led to Colin Cameron goals in Alex Miller’s last game, and Jim Duffy’s first - both derbies at ER.

Anyway, don’t want to dwell on those bad memories when we are discussing how good our current number one is :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2022, 01:20 PM
Talk of Leighton has brought back vague memories of a game I was at years ago . Hibs v Partick thistle at Firhill stadium in the cup .Leighton in goals for Hibs and game went to penalty's and I think Leighton saved a couple to get us through . Anyone remember the game ?

League Cup game 93/94. Same season when we beat Dundee Utd in the semi final at Tynie, the Hibs players thought the game was over when the ref blew his whistle , Leighton ran to the middle of the pitch to celebrate with the players, only to then realise the ref had blew for a foul and had to dash back into his goals. :greengrin

Stevie Reid
09-10-2022, 01:23 PM
League Cup game 93/94. Same season when we beat Dundee Utd in the semi final at Tynie, the Hibs players thought the game was over when the ref blew his whistle , Leighton ran to the middle of the pitch to celebrate with the players, only to then realise the ref had blew for a foul and had to dash back into his goals. :greengrin

Remember that, was pretty mental - think he had even jumped on a player’s back to celebrate 🤣

Thankfully we held on, was a great night at Tynie, Jackson scored a peach in the first half to win it IIRC.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 01:31 PM
Thanks , Remember being so nervous on the penalty shootout , Think I was at the semi final as well . Do remember now Leighton dashing back to goals after celebrations were cut short :greengrin

Stevie Reid
09-10-2022, 01:38 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6bSX0hfkXE

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-10-2022, 01:56 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P6bSX0hfkXE

Great memories. McAllister, O'Neill, Jackson and Wright. Who said Alex Miller always had boring teams. :greengrin

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 02:14 PM
Great memories. McAllister, O'Neill, Jackson and Wright. Who said Alex Miller always had boring teams. :greengrin
He signed plenty of attacking players in his time as Hibs manager to be fair . Forgot about McAllister was he not nicknamed ' crunchie' ? .Did he get caps for Scotland ? Boy was class.

h1bs4life
09-10-2022, 02:28 PM

Thought his deal was agreed while Maloney was in charge but Johnson could if he wanted say he didn’t want him .
Thankfully he did and what a tremendous signing he has been , so comfortable on the ball and has made some important saves. Defence certainly have plenty of trust in him.

GRA
09-10-2022, 02:34 PM
Best goalie since Danny Andersson IMO. Hasn't put a glove wrong and his calming presence and distribution have been outstanding.

CapitalGreen
09-10-2022, 02:38 PM
Best goalie since Danny Andersson IMO. Hasn't put a glove wrong and his calming presence and distribution have been outstanding.

He’s significantly better than Andersson, who I was a fan of.

Just_Jimmy
09-10-2022, 03:02 PM
Best goalie since Danny Andersson IMO. Hasn't put a glove wrong and his calming presence and distribution have been outstanding.He's miles better than Danny. Danny gets better with every year passing [emoji1787]

He's well remembered due to a heroic performance in that penalty shootout. He wasn't anything special, although he was significantly better than some of the dross.

Rocky was a better keeper.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Since452
09-10-2022, 03:09 PM
Marshall is the best keeper I've seen at Hibs other than Leighton. His calmness and distribution are top class.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 03:11 PM
He’s significantly better than Andersson, who I was a fan of.
So we're would Marshall be on a list of our best ever keepers?

Just_Jimmy
09-10-2022, 03:13 PM
So we're would Marshall be on a list of our best ever keepers?I'm 36.

Marshall is best I've seen. Probably behind Leighton but I can't really say I'm in a position to say.

He's better than Rocky, Andersson and Colgan. The rest either haven't been here long enough or aren't worth mentioning really.

jakedance
09-10-2022, 03:19 PM
An inspired signing. Certainly the best with the ball at his feet I can remember. He just breeds confidence on the pitch and the stands.

It’s bugged the hell out me how many utterly shan keepers we’ve had over the years. I loved having Leighton here.

Onion
09-10-2022, 03:29 PM
Reminds me of when we got Jim Leighton. Such an important part of the current team. Inspired signing. Top goalkeeper.

Fair comparison. Lots of folk thought Leighton was finished when Hibs signed him, but he give us years of great service and proved what an outstanding keeper he was. Marshall is a quality keeper who does more for the team than just keep goal. He's a leader from the back. Great signing.

weecounty hibby
09-10-2022, 03:49 PM
Goram
Marshall
Leighton
Rough
Rocky
Andersson
Colgan
McArthur
McDonald
Macey
Don't want to go much further as I'll probably have nightmares!! Marshall above Leighton due to ability with the ball at his feet

Stevie Reid
09-10-2022, 03:57 PM

Absolutely:greengrin

Miller’s best teams had some really exciting players in them.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 04:19 PM
Goram
Marshall
Leighton
Rough
Rocky
Andersson
Colgan
McArthur
McDonald
Macey
Don't want to go much further as I'll probably have nightmares!! Marshall above Leighton due to ability with the ball at his feet
Your list is interesting btw . No Conrad Logan ,Ben Williams or Adam Boghdan I see. I suppose a few of the older hibbys might have a couple of names like Tommy younger on there list . As to your nightmares I take it you are referring to Zbigniew Malkowski and Yves ma kalambay ? :panic:

yerauldda
09-10-2022, 04:21 PM
Ben Williams was good. His record from penalties was ridiculous. Played in a horrible Hibs team too.

Northernhibee
09-10-2022, 04:26 PM
Ben Williams was good. His record from penalties was ridiculous. Played in a horrible Hibs team too.
Yep. When Marsella came in as scout and goalie coach his form plummeted but before was a decent keeper.

ClermistonGreen
09-10-2022, 04:28 PM
Willie Wilson !!!

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 04:30 PM
Willie Wilson !!!
Got me on this one. Got any information ?

weecounty hibby
09-10-2022, 04:48 PM
Your list is interesting btw . No Conrad Logan ,Ben Williams or Adam Boghdan I see. I suppose a few of the older hibbys might have a couple of names like Tommy younger on there list . As to your nightmares I take it you are referring to Zbigniew Malkowski and Yves ma kalambay ? :panic:

Actually forgot about Bogdan. He'd
get on before Macey and probs above Mcdonald and McArthur. Logan is a Legend but wasn't that great, not sure Williams would get in before any on my list

Speedy
09-10-2022, 04:52 PM

Yeah, Williams better than Macey. Szamatulski was good as well but not here long.

09-10-2022, 04:53 PM
Marshall has been a fantastic signing!

ekhibee
09-10-2022, 05:19 PM

Yep, great game at Firrhill in the days when you could stand behind the away end there. I think Craig Nelson was in goal for Thistle too, went on to be goalkeeper for the Yams I think.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 05:22 PM
Who was the big foreign keeper we had one time Ollie something ?

JGS56
09-10-2022, 05:26 PM
Who was the big foreign keeper we had one time Ollie something ?

Gotkalkson or something like that - from Finland

O'Rourke3
09-10-2022, 05:32 PM
Gotkalkson or something like that - from FinlandIceland. Bit further west...

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

JGS56
09-10-2022, 05:41 PM
Iceland. Bit further west...

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

Thats true - but still Bl**dy cold in the winter.

killie-hibby
09-10-2022, 06:01 PM
Marshall is included among the best keepers I have seen playing for Hibs.The others are Younger,Simpson,Goram,Leighton and Anderson.

Mcbizz1998
09-10-2022, 06:17 PM
A great keeper and a great leader. Our most important signing.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2022, 06:19 PM
I'm 36.

Marshall is best I've seen. Probably behind Leighton but I can't really say I'm in a position to say.

He's better than Rocky, Andersson and Colgan. The rest either haven't been here long enough or aren't worth mentioning really.

I'm struggling to name 35 better than you Jimmy?

bingo70
09-10-2022, 06:28 PM
I'm struggling to name 35 better than you Jimmy?

Mark Oxley coming in at 37 and I’ve never seen Jimmy play in goals.

(I know I know, Oxley wasn’t that bad bla bla, I just had a bee in my bonnet about him, the guy never saved anything!)

Just_Jimmy
09-10-2022, 06:37 PM
I'm struggling to name 35 better than you Jimmy?Trust me, you'd be shouting to get some of the duffers back... not zibi... I'm better than him.

blackpoolhibs
09-10-2022, 06:42 PM
Trust me, you'd be shouting to get some of the duffers back... not zibi... I'm better than him.

:greengrin

CB Hibs 68
09-10-2022, 06:45 PM
Trust me, you'd be shouting to get some of the duffers back... not zibi... I'm better than him.

Sent from my SM-G991B using TapatalkMarshall is quality.Best keeper I’ve seen probably not .Goram gets my vote.Amongst the other names mentioned there are others like Leighton and Rough.Would give a we mention to Budgie .Think his personality went a long way to us winning the League cup.

A Hi-Bee
09-10-2022, 07:08 PM
Willie Wilson !!!

Along with Thomson Allan as well, both played umpteen games for Hibs, very rarely let the team down.
We have had many more good goalies than bad.
:thumbsup:

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 07:08 PM
Gotkalkson or something like that - from Finland
That's the guy .was he any good ?

eastterrace
09-10-2022, 07:11 PM
That's the guy .was he any good ?
Ex basketball player and he was up there with zibby and Makalamby .

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 07:13 PM
That good :greengrin

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 07:16 PM
Willie Wilson !!!
Ten years at Hibs and was in goal for 5 -0 win against Napoli ,Now I'd have paid to see that one.

A Hi-Bee
09-10-2022, 07:19 PM
Ten years at Hibs and was in goal for 5 -0 win against Napoli ,Now I'd have paid to see that one.

Surprised you did not know that! and he was a really nice guy as well, another good Hibby taken way too soon.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 07:24 PM
Marshall has been a fantastic signing!
Boyles been our most exciting signing but Marshall has without doubt been our most important signing imo.:hmmm:.

Since452
09-10-2022, 07:29 PM
Boyles been our most exciting signing but Marshall has without doubt been our most important signing imo.:hmmm:.

There were loud noises for a new captain last season as well as a new keeper. We've got both rolled into one. Just a phenomenal signing.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 07:34 PM
Surprised you did not know that! and he was a really nice guy as well, another good Hibby taken way too soon.
Here's one that might be Tom kite though .I was told we had a keeper one time that instead of facing the penalty taker ,He would stand on goal line with narrow gap behind and large gap Infront of him ,He would be facing towards large gaps post . And had a good run of penalty saves I was told .

Mick O'Rourke
09-10-2022, 07:39 PM
Got me on this one. Got any information ?
Willie Wilson was our main keeper throught the 1960s, after Ronnie Simpson went to Celtic.
Willie would have kept goal in most of our famous European nights in the 60s and there was a few,notably Real Madrid and Napoli.
Pre substitute days ,Willie got an injury one game ,Peter Cormack went in goal and Willie played outfield.
That was not the only time this happened back then.
He was,i am told,a real good guy and well liked character.
Willie,from Wallyford,sadly passed away 21 years ago,age 60.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs-mourn-loss-goalkeeper-great-wilson-2476055

Edit :
I notice others replied to your request.
Willie was loved by the fans who saw him play.
Stalwart for The Hibees !
Might have been the last goalie i remember often wearing a bunnet.!
Before baseball caps became the fad.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 07:55 PM
Willie Wilson was our main keeper throught the 1960s, after Ronnie Simpson went to Celtic.
Willie would have kept goal in most of our famous European nights in the 60s and there was a few,notably Real Madrid and Napoli.
Pre substitute days ,Willie got an injury one game ,Peter Cormack went in goal and Willie played outfield.
That was not the only time this happened back then.
He was, i am told,a real good and well liked character. Willie,from Wallyford passed away 20 years ago.
Cheers Mick . Strange a keeper coming out to play as a outfield player , You wouldn't get it happening now .Must have been a talented footballer . Willie Wilson must be one of our all time greatest keepers then.

donald_paterson
09-10-2022, 08:00 PM
Simpson and Wilson were two of my boyhood heroes. I can vaguely (maybe not accurately) remember Wilson saving a penalty away to Raith near the end of a season to help keep us up.
Long time ago mind. Remember the good natured pitch invasion that ensued better.

Hibbyradge
09-10-2022, 08:04 PM

Miller suffered because we'd mostly had real Hibs people at the helm for the previous 50 years and he was a weedgie ex-hun.

He was tolerated, probably by most, despised by many, but loved by none.

He also advocated a very pragmatic football style and commited a cardinal sin by saying that Rantic were almost untouchable because of their size and wealth. Some attributed this, wrongly, to his love for the Hun.

Mick O'Rourke
09-10-2022, 08:11 PM
Cheers Mick . Strange a keeper coming out to play as a outfield player , You wouldn't get it happening now .Must have been a talented footballer . Willie Wilson must be one of our all time greatest keepers then.
Some great pics from 60s.on link at bottom.
Willie on a stretcher,but am sure he came back on as a passenger. No subs back then.
Also, i think Brog or other elder Hibernians might help me here.
Was Willie injured at a game v Falkirk at Brockville and same happened again.
Outfield player (cormack ?) went in goal.
Sure Willie played on the wing ,sporting a head bandage.
I was at that game,but memory a bit gray.

Enjoy the pictures.
The first one shows Boyle and Youan..Our flying wingers !
Other photo shows my favourite Hibs manager Bob Shankly.
Bob is walking alongside Willie,as he is stretchered off for treatment.
Bob was let down badly by the owners of the club.
No ambition.Selling best players No replacements.
Bob handed in his notice in frustration at that.
Effin shame,great manager was Bob.
Just look what he achieved with Dundee before joining Hibs.
And he orchestrated the destruction of Napoli .after being down 4-1 from 1st leg.
Oh well !

Picture 7 shows at the other end (FF),a part of the Old Cave !!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/edinburghs-easter-road-16-pictures-from-the-1950s-and-1960s-show-how-much-the-hibs-ground-has-changed-3415059

angus hibby
09-10-2022, 08:42 PM
Feel totally at ease when he has the ball at his feet, even when being pressed. Oozes confidence and that spreads through the team.

Fantastic signing.

Bobo
09-10-2022, 08:45 PM
The Top 10 goalkeeper appearances for Hibs in my lifetime are listed below, I saw all them play apart from Wilson and Simpson.

296 - Jim McArthur
206 - Alan Rough
181 - Willie Wilson
178 - Jim Leighton
168 - Ronnie Simpson
163 - Andy Goram
151 - Ofir Marciano
150 - Mike McDonald
147 - Nick Colgan
106 - Thomson Allan

David Marshall has had a brilliant start to his Hibs career, hopefully we're lucky enough to see him at Easter Road long enough to break into that top ten.

There's apparently been 57 Hibs keepers in my lifetime and I can remember them all apart from two that I have no memory of at all:

1980-1981 Colin Kelly - 3 appearances
2010-2011 Jakub Divis - 3 appearances

Anybody remember either of these guys playing?

Mick O'Rourke
09-10-2022, 08:55 PM
Miller suffered because we'd mostly had real Hibs people at the helm for the previous 50 years and he was a weedgie ex-hun.

He also advocated a very pragmatic football style and commited a cardinal sin by saying that Rantic were almost untouchable because of their size and wealth. Some attributed this, wrongly, to his love for the Hun.

You know ,that is about the most honest and accurate description of how Miller's tenure at Hibs was viewed.
He knew that too.
Something else he did that upset fans was having both his sons on the books.
One was at Hibs for 4yrs and played 2 games !

Hibbyradge
09-10-2022, 09:12 PM
You know ,that is about the most honest and accurate description of how Miller's tenure at Hibs was viewed.
He knew that too.

Greg and Graham? I remember neither being very good but which one only played twice? Not that it matters.

He did bring in some very talented players and won us a cup then ended up as Asst manager at Liverpool so he had ability.

Hibs fans were much more, er, active in the sectarian arena in those days too so the fact that he'd played for 15 years for a club which had never employed a Catholic in its 100 year history understandably didn't sit well, to say the least.

Mick O'Rourke
09-10-2022, 09:15 PM
Simpson and Wilson were two of my boyhood heroes. I can vaguely (maybe not accurately) remember Wilson saving a penalty away to Raith near the end of a season to help keep us up.
Long time ago mind. Remember the good natured pitch invasion that ensued better.
That game was season 62/63

Final two league games.
We had beat QotS 4-0 the week before and score was the same at Starks Park, the game you mention.
Those results meant we stayed up.
My memory. I was 11 yrs old .I thought Ronnie Simpson was in goal.
I was in the main stand with my parents and wee brothers.
My mother went cos of Jimmy.
We said to him"What huv ye done,Man U and Spurs wanted to sign you "!!
I recall dreeping out the stand to run on the pitch at full time whilst waving at the train choo- chooing past the ground.
Al say no more ,but Hibs were not to get relegated.
Terrible season that was without a doubt!
Look at our final run in !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1962%E2%80%9363_Hibernian_F.C._season

The 60s got better after that season.
Jock Stein,then Bob Shankly took the reigns after Walter Galbraith.
Mid late 60s saw games that matched some of the Tornadoes best.
Particularly beating the Hun,the neighbours and some great Europe nights.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 09:32 PM
He knew that too.
It is honest and accurate . That was my time growing up as a young Hibs fan not the easiest . After years gone by I now think Alex miller had possibly one of the hardest times to manage our football club in its history and worked wonders in the circumstances. Will never forget our league cup win against Rangers in the semi final .To line up against a star studded team and beat them and go on to lift the cup in my eyes is one of our clubs greatest achievements considering what we had to deal with before it.Millers teams were called boring and negative yet the players he signed blows that myth out of the water , McGinley, Wright ,O'Neil etc etc. Hold Alex Miller in very high regard , Think he was a exceptional. Manager who we were Lucky to have at a very bad time in our history. My first Hibs game I remember was at love street and he was there manager think he got sent to the stand in it and shortly afterwards was appointed Hibs manager.

Is It On....
09-10-2022, 10:06 PM
Greg and Graham? I remember neither being very good but which one only played twice? Not that it matters.

He did bring in some very talented players and won us a cup then ended up as Asst manager at Liverpool so he had ability.

Hibs fans were much more, er, active in the sectarian arena in those days too so the fact that he'd played for 15 years for a club which had never employed a Catholic in its 100 year history understandably didn't sit well, to say the least.

The Rangers (not The The Rangers) connection didn't bother me. What did bother me was the boring football and his insistence that playing Hearts was "only another game". Whilst technically correct, it's not what supporters think and certainly would not have been an acceptable attitude with the club he played for. In addition, the track record of bringing through players from our youth set up during his tenure was very poor. I wasn't and I am still not a fan of his.

zitelli62
09-10-2022, 10:25 PM
My first ever goal in East of Scotland league was against Mike mcdonald sure he was manager of peebles rovers at the time memory will live forever I lobbed him from 25 yards out though as the years have passed I'm sure it's 35 yards now great goalie though.

He's here!
09-10-2022, 10:35 PM

Think he was the Iceland No 1? Or was that just a song we sang about him? Whatever, McLeish quickly replaced him with Brian Gunn in a bid to stave off relegation. My memory's hazy but I seem to recall Ole did stick around and was pretty decent for us in the Championship/First Division where life was a lot easier for him.

Sir David Gray
09-10-2022, 10:46 PM
The Top 10 goalkeeper appearances for Hibs in my lifetime are listed below, I saw all them play apart from Wilson and Simpson.

296 - Jim McArthur
206 - Alan Rough
181 - Willie Wilson
178 - Jim Leighton
168 - Ronnie Simpson
163 - Andy Goram
151 - Ofir Marciano
150 - Mike McDonald
147 - Nick Colgan
106 - Thomson Allan

David Marshall has had a brilliant start to his Hibs career, hopefully we're lucky enough to see him at Easter Road long enough to break into that top ten.

There's apparently been 57 Hibs keepers in my lifetime and I can remember them all apart from two that I have no memory of at all:

1980-1981 Colin Kelly - 3 appearances
2010-2011 Jakub Divis - 3 appearances

Anybody remember either of these guys playing?

Divis' 3 appearances came at the end of the 10/11 season when he replaced Mark Brown.

We lost all three matches v St Johnstone, Hamilton and Inverness.

HendoDelivered
09-10-2022, 10:52 PM
Unreal keeper. Best for a long time. Still got another 3 years in the tank I reckon.

Donegal Hibby
09-10-2022, 10:59 PM
There's a few keepers who wouldn't make my top six best Hibs keepers but theres also a few I look back on that were very good keepers and really likeable characters at our club . Think my favourite would have to be " Budgie " .in this category .

ClermistonGreen
09-10-2022, 11:18 PM
There's a few keepers who wouldn't make my top six best Hibs keepers but theres also a few I look back on that were very good keepers and really likeable characters at our club . Think my favourite would have to be " Budgie " .in this category .
Glad Michael stepped in to help me out with the Wilson facts , remember him well even though I was very young .
certainly no as auld as Mick that’s for sure ! :thumbsup::flag:

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 12:06 AM
Glad Michael stepped in to help me out with the Wilson facts , remember him well even though I was very young .
certainly no as auld as Mick that’s for sure ! :thumbsup::flag:
Mick does seem to have a wealth of knowledge about The Hibs mate though I'm certainly not going to call him auld maybe he's a Hibs historian or what you really mean a old head on young shoulders :greengrin

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 12:16 AM
Who was keeper in Motherwell game that ended 6-6 ?
How many keepers have scored for Hibs?
Which Hibs keeper hung up his boots to become a referee ?
Who was once described as a drunken man trying to catch a balloon?
Who have we signed in this position never to play?

MagicSwirlingShip
10-10-2022, 12:41 AM
Can tell there’s a few ex goalies in this thread!

camthebam
10-10-2022, 01:41 AM
Insanely good signing. Keepers can play until old and hope we can persuade him to stay for years.

Not just him, but he provided Scotland with one of our best nights ever. Mental we have him, Gordon and MacGregor who are all bordering on world class. Wee deal to swop some fullbacks and keepers for a striker and Scotland are mental good. Mental better I mean.

But that’s Scotland. His distribution and saves are insanely good for Hibs, Ballon D’or material. Has Haaland scored against him? Has he ****. Exactly. I’d need to check that though, no sure. ****in doubt he has though. Big Daemon Targaryen prick.

Bobo
10-10-2022, 08:32 AM
Divis' 3 appearances came at the end of the 10/11 season when he replaced Mark Brown.

We lost all three matches v St Johnstone, Hamilton and Inverness.

Cheers, I think I vaguely remember him now. 👍🏻

Colin Kelly still escapes me though, he played against Motherwell and Ayr Utd twice and was in goal when we lost 0-2 in a League Cup QF against Ayr. I can't remember him at all.

Mick O'Rourke
10-10-2022, 10:12 AM
Mick does seem to have a wealth of knowledge about The Hibs mate though I'm certainly not going to call him auld maybe he's a Hibs historian or what you really mean a old head on young shoulders :greengrin
I am old but everything works bar my lungs .
Up days down days.
It is this forum that jogs the memory.
Which is no bad thing for us older Hibernians
A trip down memory lane is good for the mind and soul.
I really do sometimes while on here remember times/incidents i thought i had forgot ;-)
Wee Hibs vault in ma head somewhere that supressed the booze of my youth!

Beatles in Lothian Road 1964
I rememember nicking Ringo Starr's pen while getting his autograph at Turnhouse Airport.
That wasn't yesterday.... Dont ask ....i lost it:boo hoo:

Now if my memory of old Hibs games stretched to "pens the Beatles use" I would find the pen !

OstKurve Hibs
10-10-2022, 10:39 AM
6 all game, was it graham stack in goals ?

Two keepers I can think of that scored for us are Goram and oxley.

Keepers signed and not played, scot bain is a recent one.

BoomtownHibees
10-10-2022, 10:47 AM

Graeme “Buzz” Smith was the goalie in the 6-6 game

overdrive
10-10-2022, 10:49 AM
Out of the keepers I've seen play for Hibs (or rather have a decent appreciation of, as I'd have seen Goram but would be too young to remember and I do remember Budgie but probably too young to appreciate), it is a toss up between Leighton and Marshall. Leighton was probably the marginally better shot stopper, Marshall significantly better with the ball at his feet, so Marshall probably shades it.

Though Marshall shading it for that reason brings Burridge back into the conversation on goalkeepers. Does anyone follow Budgie on social media? He despises what he sees as the modern day phenomenon of keepers acting like a sweeper or playing too much football. He reckons it causes more damage than it does in any positive sort of way.

Edit: another one from my childhood to mention that I don't think I've seen mentioned on this thread, and probably won't be in the conversation of best keepers for Hibs but certainly a good keeper in his day, Bryan Gunn. Came in on loan I think towards the end of the relegation season to replace Oli and definitely contributed to our improved performances under McLeish that almost saved us from relegation but not quite (damage had already been done).

Hibernian Verse
10-10-2022, 10:52 AM

Graeme Smith I think

overdrive
10-10-2022, 10:54 AM

Sean Murdoch?

MWHIBBIES
10-10-2022, 11:00 AM
Graeme Smith I think

Always very good for Motherwell against us. ****ing brutal for us.

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 11:52 AM
It is honest and accurate . That was my time growing up as a young Hibs fan not the easiest . After years gone by I now think Alex miller had possibly one of the hardest times to manage our football club in its history and worked wonders in the circumstances. Will never forget our league cup win against Rangers in the semi final .To line up against a star studded team and beat them and go on to lift the cup in my eyes is one of our clubs greatest achievements considering what we had to deal with before it.Millers teams were called boring and negative yet the players he signed blows that myth out of the water , McGinley, Wright ,O'Neil etc etc. Hold Alex Miller in very high regard , Think he was a exceptional. Manager who we were Lucky to have at a very bad time in our history. My first Hibs game I remember was at love street and he was there manager think he got sent to the stand in it and shortly afterwards was appointed Hibs manager.

I am old but everything works bar my lungs .
Up days down days.
It is this forum that jogs the memory.
Which is no bad thing for us older Hibernians
A trip down memory lane is good for the mind and soul.
I really do sometimes while on here remember times/incidents i thought i had forgot ;-)
Wee Hibs vault in ma head somewhere that supressed the booze of my youth!

Beatles in Lothian Road 1964
I rememember nicking Ringo Starr's pen while getting his autograph at Turnhouse Airport.
That wasn't yesterday.... Dont ask ....i lost it:boo hoo:

Now if my memory of old Hibs games stretched to "pens the Beatles use" I would find the pen !
Hopefully you are having more up days than down .You say this forum jogs the memory and is good for body and soul ? It doesn't do us younger Hibs fans any harm either to hear stories and things about our club from the past. Just like the pictures you put up (much appreciated btw) which were very interesting . Picture 13 of keeper in Bunnet and that heavy jumper up to his neck . How could they were such stuff while playing ? .Pity you can't find Ringo's pen it would be worth a Bob or two now. You mention sometimes you remember stuff you thought you had forgotten ? We are all the same . I remembered a game I was at through this thread that I completely forgot about. A friend of the family once took me to see Hibs at parkhead ,I remember it cause the guy messed up and we ended up in the Celtic end which I wasn't best pleased about anyhow Celtic scored and the two lads in front of us realized we were Hibs fans when we didn't celebrate,They kept turning saying this Hibs teams S***e and they couldn't spell GOAL .Right at the end big Tweed bangs in a equaliser. Guy who had been giving us grief about being s***e and unable to Spell Goal turned and looked at us in a shell shocked sort of way .Funny the two of us at the same time without knowing what the other was going to do spelt out G-O-A-L for him . A good day . Anyhow keep up the good work Mick it's very much appreciated mate. :aok:

eastmainsmsh
10-10-2022, 12:23 PM
When Andy Goram was here was Stevie woods Chris Reid and Jason Gardiner on the books at time

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 12:28 PM
Graeme Smith I think
Yep

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 12:29 PM
Sean Murdoch?
Wel done

eastterrace
10-10-2022, 12:33 PM

He also advocated a very pragmatic football style and commited a cardinal sin by saying that Rantic were almost untouchable because of their size and wealth. Some attributed this, wrongly, to his love for the Hun.think his derby record didn’t help jeez 22 in a row because of this clown.

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 12:42 PM
When Andy Goram was here was Stevie woods Chris Reid and Jason Gardiner on the books at time
Stevie woods was just a youth player at Hibs I think and Chris Reid I'm sure played for Hibs the Gardiner lad I've no idea about though none are the names I have of keepers that didn't play a game for Hibs maybe theres more but I have 3 names .

mjhibby
10-10-2022, 12:48 PM
I think folk dont realise just how important having an experienced calming influence in goals. You can see the difference marshall has made and im sure it makes the coaches job easier. Hearts without gordon are a bottom six team and most of their fans realise this. Marshall is perfect for the modern game and having a keeper not worrying about his own game and helping and organising the defence is a huge plus for the team.

Bobo
10-10-2022, 12:59 PM

Scott Bain
Tomas Cerny
Alan Combe
Craig Samson
Antonio Reguero
Calum Antell

Mick O'Rourke
10-10-2022, 01:03 PM
Cheers DH
Two who would win the 3 League medals playing alongside the Famous Five were top notch goalies

Jimmy Kerr (1)and Tommy Younger(2)
Jimmy went on to partner our later owner Tom Hart in business.

Tommy became president of the SFA (pay attention, Petrie!)
Tommy did his National Service in Germany whislt at Hibs.
It was agreed he could return for vital games.
He became known to fans as Tommy Offenbach !
Tommy got 24 caps fo his Country.

Wedged in between them was George Farm,who only played a handful of games, before having a long career down South with Blackpool.
Rturned to manage Dunfermline to Scottish Cup glory.
A Slateford,Edinburgh boy,George was also capped 10 times for Scotland.

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 01:10 PM
Scott Bain
Tomas Cerny
Alan Combe
Craig Samson
Antonio Reguero
Calum Antell
I had only 3 names thought there would be more suppose we can add Stevie woods to the list too as another poster mentioned him as well . Here's one for you .you have two of the names I have but ones still missing yet?

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 01:34 PM
Cheers DH
Two who would win the 3 League medals playing alongside the Famous Five were top notch goalies

Jim Kerr (1)and Tommy Younger(2)
Jim went on to partner our later owner Tom Hart in business.

Tommy became president of the SFA (pay attention, Petrie!)
Tommy did his National Service in Germany whislt at Hibs.
It was agreed he could return for vital games.
He became known to fans as Tommy Offenbach !
Tommy got 24 caps fo his Country.

Wedged in between them was George Farm,who only played a handful of games, before having a long career down South with Blackpool.
Rturned to manage Dunfermline to Scottish Cup glory.
A Slateford,Edinburgh boy,George was also capped 10 times for Scotland.
Cheers Mick .Tommy Offenbach? Never heard that before . Last night by pure luck I came across a old article about Ronnie Simpson said jock stein sanctioned the sale cause one of the reasons being his attitude in training it did say that he had helped keep Hibs up as well . Strange shortly afterwards jock stein became Celtic manager and Simpson became No1 taking over from a guy called Fallon I think .He must have knuckled down there under stein if he had a attitude in training at Hibs?

Mick O'Rourke
10-10-2022, 02:10 PM
Cheers Mick .Tommy Offenbach? Never heard that before . Last night by pure luck I came across a old article about Ronnie Simpson said jock stein sanctioned the sale cause one of the reasons being his attitude in training it did say that he had helped keep Hibs up as well . Strange shortly afterwards jock stein became Celtic manager and Simpson became No1 taking over from a guy called Fallon I think .He must have knuckled down there under stein if he had a attitude in training at Hibs?

Yes, John Fallon was the main keeper before Ronnie arrived.John stayed on.
There was another Fallon in the picture though. Sean.
Before Stein left Hibs for Celtic,Celtic were in turmoil.
Jimmy McGrory was manager ,but had for some time been sidelined by the directors,notably Bob Kelly who were in effect selecting the team.Sean Fallon doing the coaching.
Sean had retired from playing a few years earlier and had did some scouting too.
In fact,Sean came to our house in 1962 to sign my brother.
(as did reps from a number of Scottish/English clubs)
Kelly wanted Stein to assist Fallon.Stein refused.
He wanted full control and no interference from the board on team matters Jock got his way!
The rest is history.Sean was an able assistant manager to Jock,too.

LaMotta
10-10-2022, 03:07 PM
As discussed Leighton struggled if put under pressure with the ball at his feet and that did lead to a couple of high-profile calamities, but I am struggling to recall Goram making any significant errors. Vague memory of him maybe spilling a shot at Tannadice, but overall he was rock solid throughout his career.

You are kind of proving my point, because despite the fact Goram made a fair few significant errors for Hibs and Rangers you can't remember them.:greengrin There's plenty of evidence on youtube of Goram flapping at crosses, coming careering out Zibi style, or fumbling the ball. And that was in the days when not all games had cameras at them - so there are others that will be forgotten forever.

Of course he was a brilliant goalie, one of the best - my point is that goalies these days ( Rocky a perfect example) have every mistake scrutinised witjin 30 mins of a game finishing and for days and weeks after it.

Onion
10-10-2022, 03:31 PM
What I like most about Marshall is irrespective of how good he is for us, he's unlikely to become a target for bigger clubs :thumbsup:

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 03:37 PM
Yes, John Fallon was the main keeper before Ronnie arrived.John stayed on.
There was another Fallon in the picture though. Sean.
Before Stein left Hibs for Celtic,Celtic were in turmoil.
Jimmy McGrory was manager ,but had for some time been sidelined by the directors,notably Bob Kelly who were in effect selecting the team.Sean Fallon doing the coaching.
Sean had retired from playing a few years earlier and had did some scouting too.
In fact,Sean came to our house in 1962 to sign my brother.
(as did reps from a number of Scottish/English clubs)
Kelly wanted Stein to assist Fallon.Stein refused.
He wanted full control and no interference from the board on team matters Jock got his way!
The rest is history.Sean was an able assistant manager to Jock,too.
Your brother must have been very good .l sometimes wonder what we would have achieved if big jock had stayed at Hibs and also at Scotland too if he had more time . Seemed have to be one of the very great managers of all time .

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 03:52 PM
Feel totally at ease when he has the ball at his feet, even when being pressed. Oozes confidence and that spreads through the team.

Fantastic signing.
I can't really remember a keeper we have had that is as comfortable with the ball at his feet as marshall , maybe we should stick him in midfield to see what he's like? Seriously Though guys a class act and as you say oozes confidence. Think he's very good vocally organising his defence during the games as well.

brog
10-10-2022, 04:03 PM
Here's one that might be Tom kite though .I was told we had a keeper one time that instead of facing the penalty taker ,He would stand on goal line with narrow gap behind and large gap Infront of him ,He would be facing towards large gaps post . And had a good run of penalty saves I was told .

That was Ronnie Simpson. He did face the taker though but stood to one side of the goal line leaving a larger gap to one side. I think he saved 5 or 6 in a row including 2 against Third Lanark when we won 8-4!! Thirds beat us 6 -1 at Cathkin in final game of season to beat us 10-9 on aggregate.:greengrin Those were the days!

Mick O'Rourke
10-10-2022, 04:16 PM
Your brother must have been very good .l sometimes wonder what we would have achieved if big jock had stayed at Hibs and also at Scotland too if he had more time . Seemed have to be one of the very great managers of all time .

Wheh Jock was involved in that car crash,most in the game, said he was never the same.
Sean Fallon i believe was also in the car.

Had Jock stayed at Hibernian? Who knows?
I believe we would have won trophies and possibly the league.
The fine Hibs, Hearts and Oldco teams had had their day, late 40s through the 1950s
The 60s were ripe for something different.Jock did just that.
No multi million pound players then,either
So... who knows.
He had success at Dunfermline Had us motorin,too.
Jock's successor at Hibs,Bob Shankly(who Jock recommended to hibs:) i believe had he stayed,we may never have heard of Turnbull's Tornadoes.
I rated Bob Shankly a lot.
In an interview many years later Jock stated his most embarassing moment in football was the way and timing he left Hibs.
Academic now !

Donegal Hibby
10-10-2022, 05:02 PM
That was Ronnie Simpson. He did face the taker though but stood to one side of the goal line leaving a larger gap to one side. I think he saved 5 or 6 in a row including 2 against Third Lanark when we won 8-4!! Thirds beat us 6 -1 at Cathkin in final game of season to beat us 10-9 on aggregate.:greengrin Those were the days!
Thanks .heard of him tempting the penalty taker with larger area of the goal though didn't who it was till now. :aok:

killie-hibby
10-10-2022, 05:27 PM

Saved 2 against Hearts at Tynecastle. I think Willie Hamilton scored the winner for us. Cant remember the year,but was at the time supporters were not officially segregated.

Mick O'Rourke
10-10-2022, 05:59 PM
Saved 2 against Hearts at Tynecastle. I think Willie Hamilton scored the winner for us. Cant remember the year,but was at the time supporters were not officially segregated.

New Years Day 1965 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Z0Qa7sjDg

Ronnie Simpson once saved 12 penalties on the trot playing for Hibs.

Two of them in the same game !

We had a wonderful player during the 60s.

His name was Joe Davis ,a full back,aka The Penalty King

He rarely missed !

PatHead
10-10-2022, 08:15 PM
Marshall is included among the best keepers I have seen playing for Hibs.The others are Younger,Simpson,Goram,Leighton and Anderson.

Surely you could add Alan Rough to the list.

The Spaceman
10-10-2022, 08:29 PM
He came to us already a legend for his heroics in a Scotland top in recent years. But even after that, he’s exceeded my expectations on just how good he really is - a born leader, brilliant with the ball at his feet, clever in defending shots and eager to get us on the front foot quickly. He definitely radiates up through our team and is a big reason we are where we are just now. Can see why he got the captains armband so quickly.

Trinity Hibee
11-10-2022, 08:59 AM
Is it not about time we got Saturday Night by Gina G on the speakers at ER?

https://youtu.be/9HFYE9TnA5Q

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2022, 10:36 AM
GIRFUY!

https://i.ibb.co/nzW69DM/94030908-283-E-4941-B498-A894008190-B4.png (https://ibb.co/wMvBVKh)

11-10-2022, 11:12 AM
Is it not about time we got Saturday Night by Gina G on the speakers at ER?

https://youtu.be/9HFYE9TnA5Q

Sorry to be a pedant. Saturday Night is by Whigfield, Gina G did Ooh Aah...Just A Little Bit.

Agree with what you're saying though. We should be playing the tunes for player songs.

Bobo
11-10-2022, 11:25 AM
I had only 3 names thought there would be more suppose we can add Stevie woods to the list too as another poster mentioned him as well . Here's one for you .you have two of the names I have but ones still missing yet?

Can't think of who the other one is? 🤔

Trinity Hibee
11-10-2022, 11:42 AM
Sorry to be a pedant. Saturday Night is by Whigfield, Gina G did Ooh Aah...Just A Little Bit.

Agree with what you're saying though. We should be playing the tunes for player songs.

Ah! Knew I should have checked!

11-10-2022, 11:45 AM
Ah! Knew I should have checked!

Who's that one by? 😀

Bayern Bru
11-10-2022, 12:01 PM
Can't think of who the other one is? 🤔

Going back a bit (just the 20 years! :greengrin) but I think we signed Ian Westwater as a player-coach... is it him?

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2022, 12:11 PM
Some great pics from 60s.on link at bottom.
Willie on a stretcher,but am sure he came back on as a passenger. No subs back then.
Also, i think Brog or other elder Hibernians might help me here.
Was Willie injured at a game v Falkirk at Brockville and same happened again.
Outfield player (cormack ?) went in goal.
Sure Willie played on the wing ,sporting a head bandage.
I was at that game,but memory a bit gray.

Enjoy the pictures.
The first one shows Boyle and Youan..Our flying wingers !
Other photo shows my favourite Hibs manager Bob Shankly.
Bob is walking alongside Willie,as he is stretchered off for treatment.
Bob was let down badly by the owners of the club.
No ambition.Selling best players No replacements.
Bob handed in his notice in frustration at that.
Effin shame,great manager was Bob.
Just look what he achieved with Dundee before joining Hibs.
And he orchestrated the destruction of Napoli .after being down 4-1 from 1st leg.
Oh well !

Picture 7 shows at the other end (FF),a part of the Old Cave !!

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/edinburghs-easter-road-16-pictures-from-the-1950s-and-1960s-show-how-much-the-hibs-ground-has-changed-3415059

Been racking ma brains Mick

Hibs lost their goalie debutant Jack Reilly in a 4-2 loss at Brockville thanks to a dislocated finger and Tommy Leishman had to go in goal back in ‘64

Peter Cormack went in goal against St Mirren at ER and Willie Wilson played on the wing with a bandaged heid and almost scored

I also remember Peter Cormack going in goals against the Hearts and performing admirably in I think an EoS Shield Match his skinny pins hanging doon from an oversized yellow goalkeepers top with a big smile on his pus throwing lumps of mud at any jambos that dared to venture close

I worked beside Willie Wilson for years a nicer guy you could not hope to meet A good friend of Jim Jeffries and a jambo to boot

My abiding memory of Willie Wilson the Hibby was his all black Lev Yashin gear his pure white legs as I always stood behind the goals and that extra step against Leeds United after being impeded

RIP

Mick O'Rourke
11-10-2022, 12:46 PM
Been racking ma brains Mick
Hibs lost their goalie debutant Jack Reilly in a 4-2 loss at Brockville thanks to a dislocated finger and Tommy Leishman had to go in goal back in ‘64

Peter Cormack went in goal against St Mirren at ER and Willie Wilson played on the wing with a bandaged heid and almost scored

I also remember Peter Cormack going in goals against the Hearts and performing admirably in I think an EoS Shield Match his skinny pins hanging doon from an oversized yellow goalkeepers top with a big smile on his pus throwing lumps of mud at any jambos that dared to venture close

I worked beside Willie Wilson for years a nicer guy you could not hope to meet A good friend of Jim Jeffries and a jambo to boot

My abiding memory of Willie Wilson the Hibby was his all black Lev Yashin gear his pure white legs as I always stood behind the goals and that extra step against Leeds United after being impeded

RIP

That answers my confusion now !
Was at both games
Away games on the St Giles bus back in my schooldays.
Jeez... How did you remember goalkeeper Jack Reilly? !
A handful of games for Hibs in 4 years,but went on to play in the World Cup 1974.
https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/past-times/2695018/jack-reilly-stonehaven-australia-1974-world cup/ (https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/past-times/2695018/jack-reilly-stonehaven-australia-1974-world-cup/)

Yes, Big Tommy Leishman
Tommy had a very good football career,too.
RIP

Edit:
The first photo on my link in previous post is of an East of Scotland game v Hertz
The EoS Shield became less popular and ended up with mostly reserves playing the fixture.
Glasgow Cup went the same way.

Willie Wilson dressed in all black,emulating the truly great Soviet keeper,Lev Yashin
:singing: aye! aye aye aye !
Wilson is better than Yashin
McBride is better than Eusebio ..
and Stevie is better than anyone.

Joe McBride Snr and the great Eric Stevenson !

BILLYHIBS
11-10-2022, 01:02 PM
That answers my confusion now !
Was at both games
Away games on the St Giles bus back in my schooldays.

Jeez... How did you remember goalkeeper Jack Reilly? !

A handful of games for Hibs in 4 years,but went on to play in the World Cup 1974.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/past-times/2695018/jack-reilly-stonehaven-australia-1974-world-cup/

Yes, Big Tommy Leishman
Tommy had a very good football career,too.
RIP

Edit:
The first photo on my link in previous post is of an East of Scotland game v Hertz
The EoS Shield became less popular and ended up with mostly reserves playing the fixture.
Glasgow Cup went the same way.

Got Jonnyboy to thank I am a big fan of his books

My first game was Hibs v Leeds United 1968

Prior to that I was Hertz

:duck:

Hibbyradge
11-10-2022, 01:08 PM
Got Jonnyboy to thank I am a big fan of his books

My first game was Hibs v Leeds United 1968

Prior to that I was Hertz

:duck:

Ltyf