PDA

View Full Version : The pitch

timewilltell
08-10-2022, 10:23 PM
Wasn't at the game but the pitch didn't look in great condition watching the highlights?

CapitalGreen
08-10-2022, 10:32 PM
Wasn't at the game but the pitch didn't look in great condition watching the highlights?

Pitch was absolutely fine.

hfcok
08-10-2022, 11:04 PM
Pitch was and is in good nick. I know what you mean, with being there and watching the highlights, it did look brownish but that’s something to do with HD tv settings.

Cat Stanton
08-10-2022, 11:15 PM

Do you have a black and white telly?

Donegal Hibby
08-10-2022, 11:28 PM
Do you have a black and white telly?
Probably just a old telly like mine that's not working right .l watched the hearts home game the last night and couldn't hear any stadium noise at all and that was with the volume up at 70 .

BlackSheep
09-10-2022, 09:51 AM
The white balance wasn't set up properly on the main sportscene camera (pretty amateurish to be honest, maybe a new camera man?) but also i have noticed the image sensor on this camera seems to be ******, the greens getting turned into mush on screen... hope this can be rectified as it does make our pitch and stadium look rubbish on tv. Its been like this all season so i am not siure why it hasn't been noticed by the Beeb yet... or if they've left it looking crap on purpose.

Not sure if its just our coverage thats bad too as watching the Celtic game on tv the pitch looked all over the place colour wise.

green day
09-10-2022, 10:07 AM
The white balance wasn't set up properly on the main sportscene camera (pretty amateurish to be honest, maybe a new camera man?) but also i have noticed the image sensor on this camera seems to be ******, the greens getting turned into mush on screen... hope this can be rectified as it does make our pitch and stadium look rubbish on tv. Its been like this all season so i am not siure why it hasn't been noticed by the Beeb yet... or if they've left it looking crap on purpose.

Not sure if its just our coverage thats bad too as watching the Celtic game on tv the pitch looked all over the place colour wise.

I think they must have some new equipment or software they havent quite grasped.

As you say, the St Johnstone match it looked rubbish and I was also surprised how bad ours was on tv (compared to my own eyes).

BBC Scotland is regressing in both tv and radio coverage of football.

pogo
09-10-2022, 10:09 AM

If these matches are done through an OB truck, then the cameraman isn't setting the white balance, this is done on a remote panel for each camera, and is continually adjusted during a match (or at least it should be!) to allow for changes in the white colour balance, especially where floodlights are coming on during the match. The vision engineer(s) would be across all cameras, and also controls the iris on each camera so the light levels between different cameras match up as the director cuts between them. They also control black level, which allows definition of dark objects and not just a dark mass. The only controls a cameraman on a proper outside broadcast has are pointing the camera, zoom and focus!

BlackSheep
09-10-2022, 08:49 PM
If these matches are done through an OB truck, then the cameraman isn't setting the white balance, this is done on a remote panel for each camera, and is continually adjusted during a match (or at least it should be!) to allow for changes in the white colour balance, especially where floodlights are coming on during the match. The vision engineer(s) would be across all cameras, and also controls the iris on each camera so the light levels between different cameras match up as the director cuts between them. They also control black level, which allows definition of dark objects and not just a dark mass. The only controls a cameraman on a proper outside broadcast has are pointing the camera, zoom and focus!

They’re not done through OB trucks, the feeds for most matches are sent down the line directly to BBC Scotland… I know this cos I used to work there and was responsible for recording the matches on to the edit servers so they could be ingested as the pictures came in and allowed the editors to cut the highlights with enough time to get the programme on air for 7.30pm.

I’m pretty sure for the Sportscene highlights packages the cameras are all done in house, perhaps with BBC camera men but more than likely freelancers or even staff employed by Hibs. I’ve not checked out the highlights package on HibsTV yet to see if it’s the same feed, but I suspect it is.

I pointed out the white balance as if you look at the crowd in the east they’re blown out to almost all white… so whoever was in charge of setting up and controlling the vision yesterday had an off day it seems.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-10-2022, 09:52 PM
Whoosh :)

Mick O'Rourke
09-10-2022, 10:06 PM
Probably just a old telly like mine that's not working right .l watched the hearts home game the last night and couldn't hear any stadium noise at all and that was with the volume up at 70 .

Me too, how strange, I could hear the commentator,but otherwise nothing bar raindrops hitting the roofs and journos laptops now and then

Strange we have the same telly :greengrin

pogo
09-10-2022, 11:48 PM
They’re not done through OB trucks, the feeds for most matches are sent down the line directly to BBC Scotland… I know this cos I used to work there and was responsible for recording the matches on to the edit servers so they could be ingested as the pictures came in and allowed the editors to cut the highlights with enough time to get the programme on air for 7.30pm.

I’m pretty sure for the Sportscene highlights packages the cameras are all done in house, perhaps with BBC camera men but more than likely freelancers or even staff employed by Hibs. I’ve not checked out the highlights package on HibsTV yet to see if it’s the same feed, but I suspect it is.

I pointed out the white balance as if you look at the crowd in the east they’re blown out to almost all white… so whoever was in charge of setting up and controlling the vision yesterday had an off day it seems.

I'm used to working OB's, so wasn't sure how these matches are done, I work in Ireland, and we cover a lot of GAA, often with a small truck doing 3 cameras, or sometimes a satellite uplink equipped to handle a couple of cameras. I was putting the crowd being blown out because of the bright sunshine on them, but the camera iris was racked for the pitch action, if the crowd had been pulled back, then the pitch would have been too dark, and not matched when cut to the other camera angle. We've started doing some single/two camera stuff on a mobile system called Live-U, uses up to 8 sim cards, or can be connected to a local broadband connection. Started doing this for GAA Go during Covid when pretty much all inter County matches were streamed.

Forza Fred
10-10-2022, 01:59 AM
Pitch looked absolutely fine to me.

Granted, it may look different on closer inspection, but on the telly it looked as good as it has been for some time.

NAE NOOKIE
10-10-2022, 12:39 PM
Pitch looked fine to me on Saturday ... league wide ER is the least of our games problems, watching the highlights of Hearts game at Killie on Saturday how, I mean 'how' can the SPFL not be embarrassed that they allow such a pitch in the top flight?

Any player running more than a few yards with the ball and you could see it bobbling all over the place. At one point a long through ball came down at around a 45 degree angle and then bounced up almost vertically giving the striker chasing it a chance he shouldn't have had to attack it, the weird bounce caused a situation where a player could have been injured as the striker a defender and the keeper all piled in on a ball that on a normal pitch would have been easy meat for the defender.

Hilarious though it was to watch Craig Gordon get his foot stuck in the pitch it's something that shouldn't happen in full time professional football and I'm absolutely certain the pitch was to blame. Apparently the pitch was replaced in 2019 only 3 years ago, it's a bit puzzling as to why it appears to play so badly.

Say what you want about ER but I would be absolutely gutted if we ever go down that artificial turf route :confused:

yerauldda
10-10-2022, 01:10 PM
Pitch looked great, as do most in Scotland at the moment. Much improved on recent years. Should be better through winter too with the break in Nov/Dec.

Greenbeard
10-10-2022, 04:34 PM

Pitch looked superb under lights on Wed night.