PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 08 10 22)

Jonnyboy
08-10-2022, 06:31 PM
A loud roar of acclaim sounded around the home stands when the great man himself, Franck Sauzee, was introduced to the crowd. Looking fit and as though he could still pull on the famous green and white jersey, Franck didn’t have much to say but was obviously enjoying the applause from the crowd and that kinda set the tone for the afternoon as the game itself was entertaining and at times was played like a cup tie with both sides intent on attacking.

Lee Johnson adopted the philosophy that you shouldn’t change something if it isn’t broken and so the starting eleven was the same as last time out against Ross County. For their part, Motherwell arrived full of confidence following their 5-0 win in Dingwall. The visitors posted the first threat when Sean Goss saw his low drive flash past the post and then Boyle tested Kelly at the other end, but the keeper saved comfortably. Youan was next to try his luck, but his effort was blocked after Kuharevich set up the chance.

The game was being played at a blistering pace and the ball was flying from end to end as both sides sought to break the deadlock. Around the quarter hour mark, Motherwell defenders were throwing themselves in front of successive efforts by Cadden, Newell and Boyle but it was the visitors that next looked likely to score when Joe Efford screwed a shot wide after being fed the ball by Spittal. That would be Spittal’s last contribution as he limped off to be replaced by Ross Tierney. The visitors were having some joy down their right side with ex Hibee Paul McGinn often being used as the out ball and Cabraja getting little help from Youan in terms of tracking back.

Nohan Kenneh was doing well in the holding role where he broke down a few Motherwell attacks and his distribution once he retrieved the ball was both simple and effective. After the opening thirty minutes or so the pace of the game slowed a little which was unsurprising given the hundred mile an hour stuff that both sides had served up to that point. Both Hibs central defenders were solid, and Kevin van Veen was forced to live off scraps, but the big striker did get one fine pass away allowing Efford a shot at goal, but it was weak and failed to trouble Marshall. With around five minutes of the half remaining, Efford broke through on goal and Hanlon was forced to bring him down, earning a yellow card for the challenge with the resultant free kick simply a poor effort from van Veen.

Prior to the half time whistle, Newell had a shot blocked and then Slattery chopped down Josh Campbell some twenty odd yards from goal. Ryan Porteous took the resultant free kick, but his powerful effort was straight at Kelly.

Motherwell started the second half brightly and Slattery had a shot at goal, but it failed to reach the target and then van Veen shot high and wide from a good position before Kuharevich set Youan up to hit a fierce shot, but Kelly got down well to save. Soon after, Hibs broke free after defending a corner and the ball eventually fell to Porteous who was clean through on goal but was hauled down by Connor Shields drawing a red card from referee Grant Irvine. Interestingly, Shields was up and walking off almost before his team mates could argue the decision with the referee. A minute later, Youan broke free on the left but ran the ball out of play and was immediately replaced by Harry McKirdy.

A man up now, Hibs set about trying to break the deadlock with Motherwell getting everyone behind the ball to stifle the hopes of the home side. Newell twice and Cadden both tested the keeper without beating him but it’s fair to say that Motherwell didn’t just sit deep all of the time and that when the opportunity arose, they attacked in numbers. Twenty minutes into the half, Magennis and Stevenson replaced Kenneh and Cabraja and soon after the deadlock was broken when a Boyle cross reached Ryan Porteous who bulleted a header past Kelly and took a nasty head knock in the process. Both Porto and the man with whom he had clashed required lengthy treatment before the game restarted.

Around the seventy minute mark, Motherwell replaced van Veen, Slattery and Tierney with Moult, Cornelius and O’Donnell and almost immediately Goss struck a sweet low shot that looked netbound until David Marshall dived to his left and pushed the ball around the post. It was a fine save as the ball was travelling and had come through a lot of bodies. To their credit, Motherwell brought some pressure in seeking an equaliser, but Hibs were defending strongly, and Marshall’s goal was hardly threatened. Porteous was in the thick of it again when Efford was booked for bringing him down and soon after, Lamie was booked for hauling down Boyle.

With ten minutes left, Kuharevich was replaced by Melkersen, and Hibs had to adjust their attacking options a bit as there was no longer any point in high crosses into the box. A foul by Goss allowed Magennis an opportunity to try his luck from the free kick but the effort was high of the target. Magennis soon had another chance but dallied on the ball and the chance was gone. McKirdy was then booked for a harmless shove before Paul McGinn was replaced by McKinstry with the former getting warm applause from the home fans as he left the pitch.

With five minutes of additional time to play, Motherwell threw everything at Hibs but could not break down a resolute defence and the three points stayed at Easter Road, Hibs moving up to the place as a result.

The players

Marshall – Other than one excellent save in the second half, Marshall was largely untroubled.

Cadden – Chris was his usual energetic self and got up and down the park to good effect.

Porteous – Ryan’s enjoying his football right now and he was a colossus today. His header for the goal was extremely brave and his performance over the ninety minutes was close to faultless. Needless to say, he’s my man of the match.

Hanlon – Back to his very best after a ropey start following his return from injury. Paul defended well and his use of the ball was very good.

Cabraja – I thought he struggled a bit today with his use of the ball not the best. In his defence he was often left with two men to mark when Youan failed to track back.

Kenneh – Getting better with every game he was calm and controlled in his holding role and has developed a knack of intercepting a pass just as it is being made.

Boyle – I’ve seen Boyler play better as his final pass was not always the best but he’s still a threat and was willing to put his shift in right up until the final whistle.

Campbell – Josh has been high profile in recent games and for all the right reasons. Today he was quieter than he has been whilst still managing to cover every blade of grass.

Newell – Joe has been a bit of a revelation in his role further up the park and whilst he pinged a few excellent passes I felt the game passed him by a little.

Youan – So frustrating as he clearly has the skill on the ball but his lack of awareness of space and team mates around him often lets him down.

Kuharevich – A fine shift from the big fella who is clearly much more than just an old fashioned target man. He showed quickness of thought and a deft touch on the ball and it’s only a first goal that’s eluding him at the moment.

McKirdy – All legs and movement I got the impression he was just trying too hard. Has positives to offer, I think.

Magennis – I often think that when a player is returning from a long term injury it’s their attitude to the physicality of tackling that defines them. Kyle showed no signs of that bothering him and got stuck in from his first minute on the park.

Stevenson – A wounded animal is a dangerous animal and Motherwell were wounded after the sending off. They swarmed forward more and more, and the calm head and precise defending of Lewis reaffirmed that he still has much to offer when required.

Melkersen - Didn’t really show much in his short spell on the park.

Lee Johnson – I heard his post-match interview and was pleased that he recognised the efforts of the players whilst making clear there is more to come.

Referee – Grant Irvine was hugely pernickety in insisting free kicks be taken from the exact blade of grass on which the offence was committed. Annoying more than anything really.

BILLYHIBS
08-10-2022, 06:53 PM
Brilliant Jonnyboy

That save from Marshall was top drawer must have seen it late but got down to his left and got a strong hand on it

A game changer for us this season with his solid reliable commanding goalkeeping and excellent distribution

Agree on McKirdy really need to see more of him before making up my mind

Needs to realise our Refs are not very good and will book you for the slightest misdemeanour

Youan could still be playing and not score a goal

Said it before Porto needs to score more and kiss the badge

No complaints from me

O'Rourke3
08-10-2022, 07:55 PM
Other than I believe McKirdy's card was for kicking the ball away great report. As usual ref didn't book the player throwing the ball away in front of him while picking up a booking. McKirdy was already in the process of kicking the ball when he blew for for the free so inconsistent as well as baffling. Both the Hanlon booking and the free kick for the sending off were taken far further from the goals than the offence.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

I_Love_Latapy
08-10-2022, 08:05 PM
Great report JB.

TBH I thought the ref had an OK game. A bit pernickety on the positioning of free kicks but seemed to get most of the big calls right, let the game flow and kept his cards in his pocket when he could.

Also Cabraja played some pretty good passes in the first half, but (I think) you are in the West and I am in the East so probably had a better view. One was sublime.

Delighted Hanlon was so solid and Nohan / Joe / Ryan were stand outs for me.

jacomo
08-10-2022, 09:27 PM
Thanks again for another excellent report JB.

MartinfaePorty
08-10-2022, 09:37 PM
Agree with that summary and only to add in the ref discussion that he allowed van Veen to get away with kicking the ball away in the first half, well after the whistle had gone.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Jim44
08-10-2022, 09:43 PM
Good report, JB, for those of us not at the game. Thanks.

Jim Herriot
08-10-2022, 10:04 PM
Cabraja – struggled a bit
Boyle – I’ve seen Boyler play better
Campbell – quieter than he has been
Newell – the game passed him by a little
Youan – frustrating
McKirdy – trying too hard
Melkersen – didn’t really show much
Referee – pernickety

Thanks as usual.

You have a particular talent for phrasing your few criticisms in a mild and inoffensive way, while still being accurate. If one of those mentioned read your report I'd imagine they'd probably say "Yup, Jonnyboy's right again."

Cat Stanton
08-10-2022, 10:05 PM
Thanks as always. Always much appreciated.

The weirdest of weird complaints: the ref was indeed pernickety about where free kicks were taken from. But apart from that, I thought he was decent.

I usually rant about referees for a good six to seven hours after the match, so credit where credit is due...

john18722
09-10-2022, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the excellent report.

Unseen work
09-10-2022, 06:47 AM
Thought we were excellent that first half but pretty infuriating we couldn’t convert any of our chances or create better chances from the positions we got in.

The Cabraja over the top pass to Youan has to result in a goal eventually! Get in behind teams so easily with it, just need a bit more aggression and conviction in the finish.

superfurryhibby
09-10-2022, 08:04 AM
As always, a fair summary of the match JB.

Hibs created more opportunities than the scoreline would suggest. Youan should have done better early on when a delightful Cabaraja ball gave him sight of goal. He seemed to lack confidence in his left foot and didn't capitalise.

Our defence is looking comfortable these days. Porto and Hanlon are a good combination, and both use the ball in a way that suits the style of the team and Cabaraje and |Cadden offer energy and class at full back. Marshall just oozes quality, loved his cheeky wee dummy on the Well striker.

I thought we huffed and puffed a bit in the midfield, neither Newell nor Campbell were as effective as we've seen in recent weeks, albeit both worked hard enough and still contributed. Kennah did some good things and he cleasrly offers solidity and a bit of power to the side.

Mykola didn't get much service. He still managed to unsettle the defence at times. Youan seems to be blowing a bit hot and cold. He needs a goal and he also needs to track back and support his full back. Boyle was just Boyle. Not his greeters game, but he still showed willing to go past his man. A bit more savvy with the offisde would have let Mykola through on goal late in the match. Instead Martin took the ball on and although his pass found Mykola and in turn the back of the net, it was clearly offisde.

Overall, it was a deserved victory. A good team effort against difficult opponents. Hats of to Porto. He was driving the team forward, took his goal with bravery and was a rock in defence. He's starting to fulfil his potential and Hibs should do everything in their power to get the guy signed up. Give him a big wage and set a release clause that allows him to go for decent money,,,,,,in the meantime we should just enjoy having him.

Big victory, great to see the team moving into third, with the chance to push on withDundee Utd up next.

Keith_M
09-10-2022, 08:24 AM
Not strictly on topic but the 16,400 attendance suggests that the fans are buying into the manager and team this season.

GreenCastle
09-10-2022, 09:41 AM
Not strictly on topic but the 16,400 attendance suggests that the fans are buying into the manager and team this season.

Stadium looked pretty full from the West.

The important part is it feels like we have a team who are giving everything and enjoyable to watch.

Going to Easter Road is fun again and entertaining - so long may it continue.

500miles
09-10-2022, 02:27 PM
One thing I think is getting overlooked is just how well Hanlon played. Sees danger coming before anyone else and took a great booking to prevent a goal/ risk a red for Porto.

Since452
09-10-2022, 03:37 PM

It was very sparse when Sauzee came out but filled up well after. Roadworks and rail strikes wouldn't have helped.

JammyDoidger
09-10-2022, 04:55 PM
Youan needs a spell on the bench for me, I'd start Mckirdy against United.

RIP
09-10-2022, 10:38 PM
Youan needs a spell on the bench for me, I'd start Mckirdy against United.

McKirdy’s not a patch on Youan. The latter’s pace puts him in dangerous positions several times every game. Convinced he’ll be on target soon.

basehibby
10-10-2022, 12:45 AM
McKirdy’s not a patch on Youan. The latter’s pace puts him in dangerous positions several times every game. Convinced he’ll be on target soon.

That remains to be seen. Youan is certainly a talented player with great pace and ability on the ball. His decision making is sometimes a bit naive though and that's maybe at the root of his lack of goals to date. Hopefully he'll improve in that respect but he aint quite the goal-sniffer yet. McKirdy on the other hand has come to Hibs off the back of a considerable goalscoring streak albeit at a slightly lower level than the SPL. We've not seen much of him yet but I'll be surprised if McKirdy doesn't continue that streak given enugh time on the pitch.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2022, 05:54 AM
Youan looked a world beater against Hearts causing them problems the whole game with his pace and trickery topped off with an excellent assist for the returning Starman

Fast forward two months and he continues to excite but the opposition are now wise to him happy to shepherd him down channels that ensure no real end product

Needs to seriously work on his finishing and composure

He had an excellent opportunity on Saturday first half that he really had to take first time with his left foot but elected to take a touch a luxury you cannot always afford at our level

The endgame for him came when he ran the ball out of play on the left hand side of the box second half from a good position

Frustrating

I am intrigued by McKirdy

Looks lightweight but seems to have something about him

A wee bit gallus a Tam McManus or a Jase ?

We won’t really be able to tell until we see him for 90 minutes

I wonder what the story is with the bandage on his left leg?

Youan might benefit from a spell on the bench coming on as an impact sub cutting inside having shots on target or laying on assists

Not written him off yet

Since452
10-10-2022, 06:04 AM
Fans of Youans previous club said he was a good player but greedy. I've seen that a wee bit. I'm sure LJ and the coaching team will be working on him. Right now I think he's a vital part of our fast attacking play and he keeps the jersey. I think McKirdy is miles away from starting right now. Coming off the bench is best for him at the moment.

Libby Hibby
10-10-2022, 06:25 AM
I like both Youan and McKirdy, vastly different styles but both vital to our matches for different reasons.

Youan is quick, skilful and direct and links up play with others well. He’s is in need of a goal to settle him and the fans. I would continue to start him.

McKirdy, from the little I’ve seen is pacy, firey and gets stuck
In however he definitely looked a frustrated character on Saturday and could be a red card waiting to happen. Frustrated perhaps due to lack of game time or he’s trying stuff that he knows he can do but it’s just not coming off for him but I’d keep him coming on for now.

Anyway, LJ knows best what to do. Full trust in the gaffer.

BILLYHIBS
10-10-2022, 06:32 AM
The thing I really like this season is that when we attack the players all pile forward at pace with at least three realistic options in the box and we actually look like scoring

The return of Boyle has helped but exciting entertaining times and the fans look to be coming back

The Scottish Cup is in the bag 😀