PDA

View Full Version : Josh Campbell

truehibernian
08-10-2022, 06:25 PM
Humble pie time for me but he’s surely the most improved player this season. Good management clearly at play, he now knows his role and sticks to it really well. Far more composed too.

Well done on proving this doubter wrong young man 👍

makaveli1875
08-10-2022, 06:29 PM
Never doubted him , I feel like this forum can be especially brutal to the youngsters coming through . Declaring them ***** and not good enough after half a dozen games or less . 1 bad game and they’re championship bound .
He’s always had something about him but it’s really clicked for him this season and he seems to be full of confidence now . He’s definitely got the potential to be a top player for us

Libby Hibby
08-10-2022, 06:31 PM
You know what, I don’t often say this but I was wrong about him, turning into a very good player.

Pretty Boy
08-10-2022, 06:33 PM
I thought he was superb today.

He covered every blade of grass and his energy was a joy to behold. As it stands if we are looking to get Magennis into the starting 11 then it won't be at the expense of Campbell. Given how much hope has been invested in KM that's about as big a compliment as you can pay Josh.

Stubbsy90+2
He’s came on leaps and bounds this season.

Over the piece last season he was really poor with some performances creeping into horror show territory.

Looks a totally different player now.

Edinburgh Green
Yeah fair play to the lad. Seems to be playing with a lot more confidence, like he believes he belongs in the first team.

The Tubs
08-10-2022, 06:40 PM
His trip on Boyle was surely the comic moment of the season so far.

easty
08-10-2022, 06:42 PM
Never doubted him , I feel like this forum can be especially brutal to the youngsters coming through . Declaring them ***** and not good enough after half a dozen games or less . 1 bad game and they’re championship bound .
He’s always had something about him but it’s really clicked for him this season and he seems to be full of confidence now . He’s definitely got the potential to be a top player for us

I can happily admit he’s been very good this season, and I’m delighted…but it doesn’t change anything about what I thought of him last season. It’s night and day.

08-10-2022, 06:43 PM
Proving a lot of people wrong, myself included. Well done Josh, keep going young man!

hibee1875
08-10-2022, 06:46 PM
Massively improved and is playing the utility man role to perfection.

Every sub that came on he was looking to see what his new position was now. Played well in the middle and out left.

greenlex
08-10-2022, 07:12 PM
Right now one of the first names on the team sheet.

h185forever
08-10-2022, 07:16 PM
It’s a game that relies a lot on a players confidence …..and people getting behind him instead of on his case has definitely helped.

I agree with other comments today …one of the most improved players in team …go Josh !

Baldy Foghorn
08-10-2022, 07:20 PM
I thought he was superb today.

He covered every blade of grass and his energy was a joy to behold. As it stands if we are looking to get Magennis into the starting 11 then it won't be at the expense of Campbell. Given how much hope has been invested in KM that's about as big a compliment as you can pay Josh.

Good post.

I've never doubted him, but he has certainly found more confidence of late.

One sidenote, He burst a gut to slide and keep ball in, which allowed us to attack again, he looks extremely hungry.

Partyraiser
08-10-2022, 07:29 PM
Yep I'm another one (gladly) eating humble pie when it comes to Campbell. Fair play to him as hes transformed into one of the 1st names on the team sheet

GreenGray
08-10-2022, 07:32 PM
I think the addition of Kenneh has allowed both Campbell and Newell to flourish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truehibernian
08-10-2022, 07:36 PM
I think the addition of Kenneh has allowed both Campbell and Newell to flourish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely 👍 the midfield of Newell, Campbell and JDH never ever worked. Newell can now play with more freedom and is way more attack minded. Magennis coming back is brilliant too, gives that area much more energy and impetus when required.

john rossi
08-10-2022, 07:43 PM
His work rate is great just wish other players around him had the same engine

Shrekko
08-10-2022, 08:12 PM
I’m a fan but didn’t think the 1st half was that good from him - 2nd half he was very good though. He’s a very polished performer.

Stokesy's on fire
08-10-2022, 08:19 PM
The lads quality was outstanding again today.

Unseen work
08-10-2022, 08:23 PM
He’s been brilliant this season

I never actually thought he was as bad as others and often the games he got stick I never thought individually he was terrible. Was more a case of the balance of the whole team was off and we looked like we couldn’t create.

Josh’s main attributes are his running power, energy and work rate. That’s not me trying to criticise him but if that’s what he’s good at then get him in a position to show it. Johnson has recognised this and getting alot out of him.

I’ve said it before but I can really see championship teams liking his style of play and take notice if he keeps it up.

Great to have a player like him who clearly loves playing for Hibs

zitelli62
08-10-2022, 08:24 PM
Best attacking midfielder in Scotland his stats prove that.

Lancs Harp
08-10-2022, 08:25 PM
A classic example of giving someone especially a youngster a bit of time. Clearly a talent or he wouldnt have been handed the shirt. It wasnt his fault he played his early games in a struggling team and due to the lack of fit and decent players he had to play more games early doors in his career than would have been ideal. Seems a well grounded lad and clearly has some talent.

loanheadhibby
08-10-2022, 08:57 PM
The lads quality was outstanding again today.

I thought he was anonymous today.
The lad has improved and has had a good season so far.
Not today though.
Everyone gets bigged up because we won and thankfully are going well.
Wouldn't mind a bet Josh would tell you he wasn't great today.

B.H.F.C
08-10-2022, 09:07 PM
Thought he was poor first half but good second half.

Had a good season and he shown some good qualities but watching parts of the game today I thought it showed that we do lack a bit of guile with him as the most advanced of the midfield.

Magennis is going to get back in at some point but be interesting to see where.

Viva_Palmeiras
08-10-2022, 09:35 PM
Never doubted him , I feel like this forum can be especially brutal to the youngsters coming through . Declaring them ***** and not good enough after half a dozen games or less . 1 bad game and they’re championship bound

agree - and why is that? It beggars belief.

Eyrie
08-10-2022, 09:53 PM
The word "confidence" has been used a lot so far and for good reason.

Whether it is Campbell himself or Johnson's man management, he is playing with self belief this season and looks a far superior player. No problem admitting I was wrong about him not being good enough for us.

Nakedmanoncrack
08-10-2022, 10:06 PM
Not his greatest game today, but he’s massively improved and is well worth his place in the starting line up at the moment.

Unseen work
08-10-2022, 10:14 PM
Thought he was poor first half but good second half.

Had a good season and he shown some good qualities but watching parts of the game today I thought it showed that we do lack a bit of guile with him as the most advanced of the midfield.

Magennis is going to get back in at some point but be interesting to see where.

Magennis will play behind the striker.

Campbell will be the striker🤣

Diclonius
08-10-2022, 10:37 PM
I want a slice of humble pie too.

HendoDelivered
08-10-2022, 10:38 PM
I want a slice of humble pie too.

Same

SON OF PADDY
08-10-2022, 11:00 PM
[QUOTE=truehibernian;7122029]Humble pie time for me but he’s surely the most improved player this season. Good management clearly at play, he now knows his role and sticks to it really well. Far more composed too.

Well done on proving this doubter wrong young man

Josh has definitely improved his game beyond belief!
like you,I'm happy to admit it.

Key West
09-10-2022, 07:42 AM
Humble pie time for me but he’s surely the most improved player this season. Good management clearly at play, he now knows his role and sticks to it really well. Far more composed too.

Well done on proving this doubter wrong young man 👍

A lot of respect snd credit to you for admitting that you never saw a player in Campbell.

MWHIBBIES
09-10-2022, 07:50 AM
He's been great this season.

He definitely wasn't last season. Couldn't make the most basic of passes. I'm delighted to see him improve, I really am. Nothing that was said was wrong or undeserved at the time, though.

Shrekko
09-10-2022, 01:04 PM
Nothing that was said was wrong or undeserved at the time, though.

'Nothing' said was 'undeserved'.... are you sure about that? Absolutely nothing?

Some of his performances in the latter part of last season were sub-par and there's little doubt about that. For context though it was his first full season at this level in a very difficult environment. If young players 'deserve' any kind of horrible abuse during their first poor spell, then I guess you may be right. Personally, I think many of the comments were totally out of order- the one's where people had adamantly mapped out his future career for instance, which was him apparently playing at a much lower level or even not being good enough to be a pro.

J-C
09-10-2022, 02:15 PM
Thrown into a struggling team last season, which wasn't needed for his development, we were short on bodies in the middle so the managers had to play him, what he needed was to be given regular 15-20 min appearances and a few cup games. Now under new management and a different team mindset, he's thriving and getting better, long may it continue.

CapitalGreen
09-10-2022, 02:34 PM
He's been great this season.

He definitely wasn't last season. Couldn't make the most basic of passes. I'm delighted to see him improve, I really am. Nothing that was said was wrong or undeserved at the time, though.

So when people said he would never be good enough to make it for Hibs weren’t wrong and the comments were deserved?

MWHIBBIES
09-10-2022, 04:09 PM
So when people said he would never be good enough to make it for Hibs weren’t wrong and the comments were deserved?

Based on what he had shown in a Hibs shirt, it was fair. These kinds of turn arounds are rare.

Key West
09-10-2022, 08:47 PM
Based on what he had shown in a Hibs shirt, it was fair. These kinds of turn arounds are rare.

🤣🤣🤣

Shrekko
09-10-2022, 09:52 PM

You said ‘deserved’…. how can comments about him never ever going to be good enough for Hibs be deserved when they’ve been proved to be utter nonsense?

Why can’t you admit a lot of what was said was totally wrong seeing as it’s been proved as such?

MWHIBBIES
09-10-2022, 10:02 PM
You said ‘deserved’…. how can comments about him never ever going to be good enough for Hibs be deserved when they’ve been proved to be utter nonsense?

Why can’t you admit a lot of what was said was totally wrong seeing as it’s been proved as such?

Again, things were said based on the evidence at the time. He is doing well now, that is great. He was very poor before, and didn't look like he'd make it.

Its actually becoming pointless to ever post your opinion on here because at the first sign of anything contrary to it, everyone jumps on you. Its pathetic.

Last season, Josh Campbell was extremely poor. By far our worst midfielder.

This season, he has been much better.

Thats my take.

Shrekko
09-10-2022, 10:09 PM
Again, things were said based on the evidence at the time. He is doing well now, that is great. He was very poor before, and didn't look like he'd make it.

Its actually becoming pointless to ever post your opinion on here because at the first sign of anything contrary to it, everyone jumps on you. Its pathetic.

Last season, Josh Campbell was extremely poor. By far our worst midfielder.

This season, he has been much better.

Thats my take.

You’re maybe misunderstanding how a forum of opinions works then if you think that’s unusual.

You’ve not been asked about your opinion on Campbell’s form last season - it’s the fact you’ve given a blanket statement on the criticism he received saying that it was all completely justified, regardless of the nature of it.

MWHIBBIES
09-10-2022, 10:20 PM
You’re maybe misunderstanding how a forum of opinions works then if you think that’s unusual.

You’ve not been asked about your opinion on Campbell’s form last season - it’s the fact you’ve given a blanket statement on the criticism he received saying that it was all completely justified, regardless of the nature of it.

Criticism of his footballing ability and performance was absolutely justified. As it was for almost every player.

Get over it. We're winning games and doing well right now.

CapitalGreen
09-10-2022, 10:53 PM

Players improving under better and more competent managers isn’t rare, it’s actually very common.

RMQ1967
10-10-2022, 07:44 AM
Criticism of his footballing ability and performance was absolutely justified. As it was for almost every player.

Get over it. We're winning games and doing well right now.

Even this season there were people questioning his ability. I think it's fair that the people who were proclaiming he was never a footballer, would never make it at Hibs, should never be starting for Hibs etc. etc. should be reminded that they don't really know what they're talking about.

More than a few have rightly eaten humble pie and hopefully it's a lesson to all not to write players off too quickly. I think we're already seeing similar with Bojang and one or 2 others.

Important the coaching team get a chance to work with these guys and find out how to get the best out of them.

Hibbyradge
10-10-2022, 08:03 AM

Hibs.net rule 26.b

Even when people are proved wrong to be totally, they're not wrong.

MWHIBBIES
10-10-2022, 08:33 AM
Players improving under better and more competent managers isn’t rare, it’s actually very common.

Players who showed almost nothing in a full season, rarely become key players a few months later.

MWHIBBIES
10-10-2022, 08:35 AM
Hibs.net rule 26.b

Even when people are proved wrong to be totally, they're not wrong.

It's pretty obvious any comments saying he would never be good enough for Hibs were wrong. I really don't know why I'm the one getting stick for those comments. Not admitting I'm wrong is not something that can be labelled against me. I quite happily do it.

Josh Campbell was abysmal last season. That has not changed.

Shrekko
10-10-2022, 12:36 PM
It's pretty obvious any comments saying he would never be good enough for Hibs were wrong.

Not quite sure why you argued so long about ALL the comments about him being 'deserved' then ;-)