PDA

View Full Version : Media Pat Nevin - Countdwn

Jim44
04-10-2022, 04:58 AM
Amid all the recent discussion here about Sportscene and Sportsound and these shows’ duff pundits, I mentioned Pat Nevin as one of the only pro Hibs pundits in recent years. He seems to have taken a back seat now, but I was interested to see he was guest on Countdown’s dictionary corner yesterday and presumably for the next week. Good chat and patter and hopefully he’ll have a few words about Hibs to come.
Admins - feel free to transfer this to another forum if not appropriate here.

The Harp
04-10-2022, 05:26 AM
I was pleasantly surprised when I switched Countdown on yesterday to hear Pat being introduced as the guest in dictionary corner.
He's a great miss to football punditry as he actually knows what he's talking about, unlike most of the others.
I'll be disappointed if he doesn't mention his beloved Hibs during the course of the week.

JimBHibees
04-10-2022, 05:33 AM
Does a lot of punditry on radio five live

Winston Ingram
04-10-2022, 05:42 AM
I think he does most his punditry for Chelsea TV these days.

JimBHibees
04-10-2022, 05:56 AM
I think he does most his punditry for Chelsea TV these days.

Yep can remember hearing him as pundit covering a Chelsea game

Alfred E Newman
04-10-2022, 06:20 AM
I think his Scottish punditry days were numbered when he admitted having a soft spot for Hibs.

Slim Shady
04-10-2022, 06:45 AM
Great pundit.

His autobiography is excellent - the audiobook spoken by Pat is a brilliant listen.

Donegal Hibby
04-10-2022, 10:05 AM
I think his Scottish punditry days were numbered when he admitted having a soft spot for Hibs.
Wouldn't fit in with the anti Hibs mob that's doing it now that's for sure .

CyberSauzee
04-10-2022, 12:48 PM
Great pundit.

His autobiography is excellent - the audiobook spoken by Pat is a brilliant listen.

Agree about his book, read it earlier this year. Some great stories in there, definitely worth a read.

Hibees1973
04-10-2022, 02:32 PM
Great pundit.

It is a great read. He's was obviously not the stereotypical footballer in the 80's. Nevin wisely shunned the dark drinking culture that was prevalent at the time which numerous players from that era have now had serious repercussions. This culture caused divisions in the dressing room when he was at Everton between the new and old school players which limited the success they had.

Also the story he had when he played for the Scotland U-21s and was being watched by Jock Stein. Stein came down and slaughtered Nevin at half-time which surprised him as he thought he was playing well. Nevin then discovered later this was just a tactic by the old bugger to find out if he could cope with the pressure if he stepped up to the 1st team.

Well worth a read.

heretoday
04-10-2022, 04:15 PM
Such a pleasure to listen to. Articulate and erudite.
I get fed up with the "wuv went" school of football punditry.

Back Lounge
04-10-2022, 04:43 PM
The irony of Countdown being spelt incorrectly and not having the required 3 vowels is most upsetting.:wink:

Carheenlea
04-10-2022, 05:41 PM
Such a pleasure to listen to. Articulate and erudite.
I get fed up with the "wuv went" school of football punditry.

Pat is far better suited to 5 Live.

When you’re driving back from a Hibs game and Sportsound is over, if you switch to 5live to see what’s happening there the content is on a different level. The analysis is engaging and free of histrionics.

I don’t have a lot of interest in English football, but listening to their football coverage can still be enjoyable radio. Scottish football is my bag but Sportsound is almost unlistenable. Lowest common denominator analysis with repeated dull cliches.

Jim44
04-10-2022, 05:47 PM
The irony of Countdown being spelt incorrectly and not having the required 3 vowels is most upsetting.:wink:

Pedant.:greengrin Sorry to upset you, Susie. :rolleyes:

Carheenlea
04-10-2022, 05:53 PM

Pedant.:greengrin Sorry to upset you, Susie. :rolleyes:

Better not tell them what industry you worked in before retirement Jim..!

SideBurns
04-10-2022, 05:58 PM
Great pundit.

Reading it now, fair enjoying it. Totally different to any fitba' book I've read before. Great bloke, bought my dad a pint at the '98 World Cup 😁

heretoday
04-10-2022, 10:55 PM
Pat is far better suited to 5 Live.

When you’re driving back from a Hibs game and Sportsound is over, if you switch to 5live to see what’s happening there the content is on a different level. The analysis is engaging and free of histrionics.

I don’t have a lot of interest in English football, but listening to their football coverage can still be enjoyable radio. Scottish football is my bag but Sportsound is almost unlistenable. Lowest common denominator analysis with repeated dull cliches.

I agree wholeheartedly. Off the Ball takes the mick out of it though.