PDA

View Full Version : “Once we take all these chances”

RIP
02-10-2022, 02:30 PM
This is not the first season where our total number of shots has exceeded that of the opposition. IIRC that’s been the case for the past three seasons, albeit with an increase of late.

Is anyone else concerned that the strikers we have on the books simply don’t have that rare knack of putting the ball in the net? The sort of poacher’s instinct or finishing prowess that was possessed by Stokes, Cummings or Griffiths.

OldEast
02-10-2022, 03:23 PM
This is not the first season where our total number of shots has exceeded that of the opposition. IIRC that’s been the case for the past three seasons, albeit with an increase of late.

Is anyone else concerned that the strikers we have on the books simply don’t have that rare knack of putting the ball in the net? The sort of poacher’s instinct or finishing prowess that was possessed by Stokes, Cummings or Griffiths.

Not too concerned but you may have a point. Perhaps with the revitalised midfield Kevin Nisbet will be that man.

SlickShoes
02-10-2022, 03:48 PM
The forward players are contributing to the goals, so its less of an issue, the goals being spread out is also a plus as losing a single player isn't likely to see us unable to score at all.

I don't really see anything to be concerned about, not all of the shots are clear cut chances either, but at least taking those shots can lead to other things happening too. If we were scoring none it would bother me but I don't think there is anything to worry about from the last 3 wins.

We also haven't really had a settled forward line due to injuries and new players settling in, suspensions, international break. Maybe if none of them have scored by then end of this month and we stop winning it would be a concern.

B.H.F.C
02-10-2022, 04:06 PM
The big Ukrainian looked desperate for a goal yesterday. Ended up taking the wrong option a couple of times, could see a couple of the players trying to calm him down a bit. I like the look of him, despite being 6ft4 he looks better on the ground than in the air.

We do need other forward players to start scoring regularly and taking some of that burden away from Boyle. Will be the difference between a decent season and a really good season IMO.

Kavinho
02-10-2022, 05:09 PM
Can't be arguing with c75 shots over the past 3 games.

Celtic have had c50 over the same period as a comparison.

Soldiersteve
02-10-2022, 10:05 PM
Can't say I'm concerned about this after seeing some of yesterdays match on "catch up". I reckon that at least one of the teams in our upcoming fixtures may get their arse skelped!:flag:

Pagan Hibernia
02-10-2022, 10:22 PM
Can't say I'm concerned about this after seeing some of yesterdays match on "catch up". I reckon that at least one of the teams in our upcoming fixtures may get their arse skelped!:flag:

hopefully it’s Celtic in a couple of weeks

basehibby
03-10-2022, 12:16 AM

I think Boyle's got a bit of that about him - and signs are encouraging that Josh Campbell is developing that happy knack albeit as a midfielder. Harry McKirdy was banging them in for fun for Swindon Town until recently and hopefully will bring that form to Hibs.

We also have a clutch of forwards on our books who - to varying degrees - have still to really show what they can bring to the table. But it's encouraging - 8 games in Ellie Youan has yet to find the net but absolutely looks the part - devastatingly pacey with great ability on the ball, he's chipped in with assists and had some good efforts saved. Melkerson, Tavares, Kukarevych - all young players with it all to prove but look like they could be the biz. Bojang a bit of a left field one but who knows. Nisbet and McGeady also still to come back in the team so - while I'd like as much as you to have been seeing all our forwards scoring already, I'm nowhere near concerned at this stage. More cautiously optimistic and intrigued to see what might unfold.

Jack
03-10-2022, 08:03 AM

Green nostalgic tinted specs I feel.

We've always racked up a big number of shots but on target has never been clinical and so with goals.

I found it difficult finding relevant stats but the one I did find was Cummings shots to shots on target was only 26%! On Saturday we were as a team 37.5%

allezsauzee
03-10-2022, 12:42 PM
There is little doubt that we should be scoring more but I think we need to give our strikers a bit more time. I think once he gets going McKirdy is going start banging them in but he's only had a few minutes playing time.

Ronniekirk
03-10-2022, 02:05 PM
At present it’s.a bit worrying that of all our forward players only Boyle has scored
But the Ukrainian guy and Mckirdy are only just through the door do need time to see what they can do
McGeady when back fit will score a few as Will Nisbet But Niether is going to be playing and up yo speed soon
Given the start he made ,Merkelson is the one I had expected would of scored a few more
But playing him out of position hasn’t helped ,and now he has concussion which seems to be going on a long time
Youan fir me doesn’t look like he is going to be a regular scorer .But maybe thst will change
Anyone I have missed out needs time in the B Team to develop as not ready yet

Spudster
03-10-2022, 02:05 PM
I found it difficult finding relevant stats but the one I did find was Cummings shots to shots on target was only 26%! On Saturday we were as a team 37.5%
I always thought the stats in the championship were a bit skewed. We could have 20+ shots and get beat by a team with 1 shot. Their one effort was a breakaway with only the keeper to beat, ours were a mix of long ranger efforts and against a defence with ten men behind the ball.

Dashing Bob S
03-10-2022, 02:09 PM
I’d settle for as just taking a few each game and saving the glut for Los Yambolinos

jacomo
03-10-2022, 02:31 PM
I think Boyle's got a bit of that about him - and signs are encouraging that Josh Campbell is developing that happy knack albeit as a midfielder. Harry McKirdy was banging them in for fun for Swindon Town until recently and hopefully will bring that form to Hibs.

We also have a clutch of forwards on our books who - to varying degrees - have still to really show what they can bring to the table. But it's encouraging - 8 games in Ellie Youan has yet to find the net but absolutely looks the part - devastatingly pacey with great ability on the ball, he's chipped in with assists and had some good efforts saved. Melkerson, Tavares, Kukarevych - all young players with it all to prove but look like they could be the biz. Bojang a bit of a left field one but who knows. Nisbet and McGeady also still to come back in the team so - while I'd like as much as you to have been seeing all our forwards scoring already, I'm nowhere near concerned at this stage. More cautiously optimistic and intrigued to see what might unfold.

:agree:

Patience, belief and calm coaching should help the players build confidence. We have a lot of guys settling in at Hibs, best to give them that chance.

There are goals in this team.

RIP
04-10-2022, 06:22 AM
Green nostalgic tinted specs I feel.

We've always racked up a big number of shots but on target has never been clinical and so with goals.

I wasn’t looking back to a time where less chances were created and less converted as wishing we could combine the current supply from midfield and full backs with a poacher in the middle.