PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Ross County 01 10 2022)

Jonnyboy
01-10-2022, 06:32 PM
A variety of circumstances mean that my trips to away games this season will be few and far between so of course I wasn’t in Dingwall today. To compensate, I travelled to my brother’s house to watch on IPTV but due, I understand, to technical problems in the stadium, there was no coverage for the majority of the first half and annoyingly buffered coverage for the remainder of the game. With those facts in mind, I reckon all I can do is cobble together some views on what I did manage to see, but that won’t take long.

Firstly, it was great to see that so many Hibbies had made the journey and their presence was both noisy and supportive. From reading the official site match report it would seem that we dominated the bulk of the first half play with former Hibee Ross Laidlaw making a number of notable saves to keep his side in the hunt. Porto, Newell, Kukharevych and others tested the keeper whilst David Marshall made a fine and important save at the other end to prevent the hosts from taking a lead against the run of play.

The second half was barely a minute old when a long throw from Joe Newell caused panic in the home defence with the ball falling to Ryan Porteous who struck a sweet left footed shot into the far corner of the net. Hibs were more dominant than ever now with the front three causing County all sorts of problems and the hosts would be further troubled when Youan was replaced by the lively McKirdy. Soon after, County made a couple of changes and the new guys arrived in time to witness Campbell and Kukharevych having good efforts blocked. A quite sumptuous pass from Newell picked out Boyle in space on the right but Boyler’s first touch was poor and that allowed County to get back at him.

A free kick some twenty five yards from the County goal was being sized up by Porteous and Cabraja but when the latter named struck his shot the ball almost flew over the stand behind the goal. Marshall had had little to do but had to be on his toes when a Baldwin shot required ushering past the post before Hibs were on the front foot again and Campbell set up Kukharevych, but the big guy couldn’t test Laidlaw on this occasion.

Ten minutes from time, Martin Boyle doubled the Hibs lead when he pounced on a ball in the box and rifled his shot home between the legs of Laidlaw. Soon after, Kukharevych was replaced by Kyle Magennis who was greeted by a loud roar of approval from the travelling support. It was good to see him back in action after a very lengthy injury layoff. Next up, McKirdy released Boyle who raced towards goal before firing in a low shot which Laidlaw did well to turn around the post. Substitute Ewan Henderson then set Boyle up again, but Laidlaw was up to the task of preventing another goal against his side. In time added on, Boyle fed McKirdy, but the resultant shot was blocked, and the game was over.

The players – Obviously I can only comment on what I actually witnessed of the second half!

Marshall – Solid as a rock and surely the best keeper we’ve had at Hibs in many a long year.

Cadden – On one occasion I saw him win the ball and race away from the County man, showing huge desire to get us back into the final third.

Porteous – Carried on the sort of form that earned him rightful praise in the game against Ukraine. From what I witnessed myself and adding in his goal he’s my man of the match.

Hanlon – Comfortable and dealt with the muscle man Jordan White with very little difficulty.

Cabraja – Another who looked solid and carried on his fine form from the Aberdeen game.

Kenneh – Looking more and more assured with every game he plays.

Campbell – Endless energy and no little skill saw him dominate the likes of Callachan and Paton.

Boyle – Boyler was just Boyler, always trying to make things happen and he took his goal really well.

Newell – I’m convinced that Joe is benefitting from having Kenneh alongside him and it’s really encouraging to see him further up the park when the chance arises.

Youan – Only really saw about ten minutes from him so hard to offer a view.

Kukharevych – I really need to nail down the correct spelling of his name! A very good central striker who links well and can hold the ball up when needed.

McKirdy – Lively and not afraid to ‘share his views’ with team mates.

Magennis – As I said earlier, great to see him back and fit.

Henderson – Only got a few minutes at the end.

Lee Johnson – What did he get booked for, I wonder? It seems he was happy with his charges and rightly so.

Referee – Alan Muir seemed to book a few and yet only one yellow is shown on the BBC match report.

hibeelovin90
01-10-2022, 06:51 PM
A variety of circumstances mean that my trips to away games this season will be few and far between so of course I wasn’t in Dingwall today. To compensate, I travelled to my brother’s house to watch on IPTV but due, I understand, to technical problems in the stadium, there was no coverage for the majority of the first half and annoyingly buffered coverage for the remainder of the game. With those facts in mind, I reckon all I can do is cobble together some views on what I did manage to see, but that won’t take long.

Firstly, it was great to see that so many Hibbies had made the journey and their presence was both noisy and supportive. From reading the official site match report it would seem that we dominated the bulk of the first half play with former Hibee Ross Laidlaw making a number of notable saves to keep his side in the hunt. Porto, Newell, Kukharevych and others tested the keeper whilst David Marshall made a fine and important save at the other end to prevent the hosts from taking a lead against the run of play.

The second half was barely a minute old when a long throw from Joe Newell caused panic in the home defence with the ball falling to Ryan Porteous who struck a sweet left footed shot into the far corner of the net. Hibs were more dominant than ever now with the front three causing County all sorts of problems and the hosts would be further troubled when Youan was replaced by the lively McKirdy. Soon after, County made a couple of changes and the new guys arrived in time to witness Campbell and Kukharevych having good efforts blocked. A quite sumptuous pass from Newell picked out Boyle in space on the right but Boyler’s first touch was poor and that allowed County to get back at him.

A free kick some twenty five yards from the County goal was being sized up by Porteous and Cabraja but when the latter named struck his shot the ball almost flew over the stand behind the goal. Marshall had had little to do but had to be on his toes when a Baldwin shot required ushering past the post before Hibs were on the front foot again and Campbell set up Kukharevych, but the big guy couldn’t test Laidlaw on this occasion.

Ten minutes from time, Martin Boyle doubled the Hibs lead when he pounced on a ball in the box and rifled his shot home between the legs of Laidlaw. Soon after, Kukharevych was replaced by Kyle Magennis who was greeted by a loud roar of approval from the travelling support. It was good to see him back in action after a very lengthy injury layoff. Next up, McKirdy released Boyle who raced towards goal before firing in a low shot which Laidlaw did well to turn around the post. Substitute Ewan Henderson then set Boyle up again, but Laidlaw was up to the task of preventing another goal against his side. In time added on, Boyle fed McKirdy, but the resultant shot was blocked, and the game was over.

The players – Obviously I can only comment on what I actually witnessed of the second half!

Marshall – Solid as a rock and surely the best keeper we’ve had at Hibs in many a long year.

Cadden – On one occasion I saw him win the ball and race away from the County man, showing huge desire to get us back into the final third.

Porteous – Carried on the sort of form that earned him rightful praise in the game against Ukraine. From what I witnessed myself and adding in his goal he’s my man of the match.

Hanlon – Comfortable and dealt with the muscle man Jordan White with very little difficulty.

Cabraja – Another who looked solid and carried on his fine form from the Aberdeen game.

Kenneh – Looking more and more assured with every game he plays.

Campbell – Endless energy and no little skill saw him dominate the likes of Callachan and Paton.

Boyle – Boyler was just Boyler, always trying to make things happen and he took his goal really well.

Newell – I’m convinced that Joe is benefitting from having Kenneh alongside him and it’s really encouraging to see him further up the park when the chance arises.

Youan – Only really saw about ten minutes from him so hard to offer a view.

Kukharevych – I really need to nail down the correct spelling of his name! A very good central striker who links well and can hold the ball up when needed.

McKirdy – Lively and not afraid to ‘share his views’ with team mates.

Magennis – As I said earlier, great to see him back and fit.

Henderson – Only got a few minutes at the end.

Lee Johnson – What did he get booked for, I wonder? It seems he was happy with his charges and rightly so.

Referee – Alan Muir seemed to book a few and yet only one yellow is shown on the BBC match report.

We were top today - best I've seen in a long time away from home

davemcbain
01-10-2022, 07:20 PM
Living in the a**e end of nowhere, this is one of the few games I can actually get to, so only a few comments:
Thanks to the lady who found my specs. Kudos to the sartorial elegance of the steward in front of us sporting a high vis and a wing collared shirt (odd mix for the footie, but the lad pulled it off). Huge amount of noise under that low roof - place was bouncing and huge thanks also to the tall lad that offered to swap seats to allow my lad to see the game.

On the pitch, I missed Marshall's save - did he really make one?

In the first half, Staggies had a wee bit more of the ball, but honestly didn't feel they threatened much and I really was losing count of how many poorly taken corners Hibs had.
Second half a bit more threatening (obvs).

Won't do a player by player, but was impressed by Cadden - especially a couple of sublime passes. Porto made mistakes, but boy was he fast to correct them. Ukranian lad looks a find, McKirdy is excellent, but is he wearing boots one size too big? Keeps tripping over his own feet. I'm reckoning the Newell we have this year is a similar looking but different player from the one we had last season - put in a show and a half. Cabraja also excellent. Kenneh was the oddity for me, always in the right place, always running but always seemed to want to walk through three players rather than make the simple pass - still think he's a rough diamond.
Manager was booked over his protests when a throw in went the wrong way. Did seem ott.

Eyrie
01-10-2022, 09:27 PM
Interesting that our opening goal came from a long throw from Newell into the box.

Despite him being here for over three years, this is the first season I've seen us use that tactic.

Onceinawhile
01-10-2022, 10:22 PM
Marshall - made 2 good saves in the first half. Bystander in the second.

Cadden - good assist for the second goal. A lot of play came down his side, he dealt with most of it.

Porto - strolled it. Got a goal MOTM.

Hanlon - strolled it. Needs to carry the ball forward quicker.

Cabraja - defensively solid. One shot out the ground, one free kick that was woeful.

Kenneth - defensively sound. Shooting was woeful.

Newell - assist from the throw in. Pretty good otherwise.

Campbell - a heck of a lot of industry. Probably could've done better with first minute chance.

Youan - really wasn't very good.

Boyle - decent goal, thought he avoided taking players on for quit a bit though.

#99 - decent. Will be fantastic once he gets up to speed.

Mckirdy - don't think he touched the ball for the first 20 minutes he was on. Was relatively mince tbh.

Hendo - not on long enough.

Magennis - few good tackles, didn't get much of the ball.

Johnson - booked for being raging at #99 getting his shirt pulled up his back and not getting a free kick.

B.H.F.C
01-10-2022, 10:32 PM
Interesting that our opening goal came from a long throw from Newell into the box.

Despite him being here for over three years, this is the first season I've seen us use that tactic.

Talking about this on the way down the road. Can’t believe it took us three years to discover this. Remember it happened a few years ago with Mark Milligan as well. One of his last games, down at Kilmarnock, and all of a sudden we found out he could throw the ball about 40 yards.

Football is sometime quite simple. Ball rolled back from centre and launched towards the 6ft4 striker. Out for a throw in, launched in to the box, win the second ball, goal.

JammyDoidger
01-10-2022, 11:18 PM
Seems like Mckirdy in for Youan could be the shout next week. Youans numbers nowhere near good enough. Go on the hibs though!

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-10-2022, 11:01 AM
Seems like Mckirdy in for Youan could be the shout next week. Youans numbers nowhere near good enough. Go on the hibs though!

Although never changing a winning team is a good way to work, Youan isn't doing what he is there for at the moment and really shouldn't be surprised if he is dropped for next week.

Mick O'Rourke
02-10-2022, 12:35 PM
Well done,JB
You epitomise our motto.

Take care

brog
02-10-2022, 01:19 PM

Our last minute equaliser against the team currently in 6th started with a 30/40 yard throw in from Cadden. Looks like we may have this as a weapon on both flanks now and with a 6 foot 4 inch striker we should certainly be using it!

brog
02-10-2022, 01:20 PM
Well done,JB
You epitomise our motto.

Take care

Hear Hear!!

Roxyhibee
02-10-2022, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the report, excellent as usual.

Vast improvement in Hibs these days and if our strikers (once they do 🤞) start scoring goals, we just might be some team.