PDA

View Full Version : Cummings Australian cap?

Bristolhibby
22-09-2022, 11:59 PM
Just seen Jason Cummings has been called up for the Australia squad.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CixNqC8vrHS/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I’m confused, he’s definitely got a Scotland cap. How can you play for two countries?

Is this a new thing?

Cheers

J

Edit - did a bit of Googling, sounds like if it’s a friendly you technically aren’t “locked”.

Not sure I agree with all that. If you are capped, you should be capped.

BSEJVT
23-09-2022, 12:18 AM
Good luck to Jason

Will always be one of my favourite Hibs players regardless of what came next.

Mick O'Rourke
23-09-2022, 06:33 AM
Australia have one more game scheduled before the World Cup and that is another friendly V New Zealand again on Sunday 25th sept. So he will be fixed on making the cut for World Cup.
if he gets a game on Sunday .Its "still" a friendly !!

I note some tabloids describe him as a former rAngers "star"
He played more games for Dundee and some other clubs than the Zombies

hibsforeurope
23-09-2022, 09:06 AM
it'll be the same as Declan Rice choosing England despite having ROI cap(s), plenty NI players have also played for both NI and ROI. i don't agree with it but it can work in players like JC's favour if they aren't going to get anymore caps for their original country.

nellio
23-09-2022, 03:52 PM
There was also a german guy who's name escapes me who played for the Germans a few times then played for Russia.

neil7908
23-09-2022, 04:00 PM
Classic Jase:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/done-a-mischief-socceroos-star-jason-cummings-loses-passport-ahead-of-debut/news-story/608a43e63ce4dcc12066421cfa71fbf7?amp

gbhibby
23-09-2022, 05:52 PM
Classic Jase:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/football/done-a-mischief-socceroos-star-jason-cummings-loses-passport-ahead-of-debut/news-story/608a43e63ce4dcc12066421cfa71fbf7?amp
Saw that, he better get his Australian passport as surely he couldn't lose both, could he?

23-09-2022, 05:55 PM
Classic Jase:

Cumdingo! 😂

Mrimbetween
23-09-2022, 08:41 PM
Superb :flag:

jacomo
23-09-2022, 10:07 PM
Classic Jase:

He really hasn’t changed has he?

Good luck to him

:thumbsup:

basehibby
24-09-2022, 01:16 AM
He really hasn’t changed has he?

Good luck to him

:thumbsup:

Not one bit (sniff) :thumbsup:

superfurryhibby
24-09-2022, 08:10 AM
Classic Jase:

Good lad, very pleased for him that he has his career back on track.

He remains as daft as a brush, does his talking on the pitch, which lets him do his talking off the pitch....or something like that.

Keith_M
24-09-2022, 08:41 AM
How exactly does Cummings qualify to play for Australia?

Seems a bit weird.

CapitalGreen
24-09-2022, 08:44 AM

Seems a bit weird.

Nothing weird about it, his mum was born in Australia.

Wilson
24-09-2022, 08:47 AM

Seems a bit weird.

Exactly because his mother was born in Australia.

Not all that weird.

Keith_M
24-09-2022, 09:34 AM
Nothing weird about it, his mum was born in Australia.

Sorry, I thought both his parents were Scottish

He's here!
24-09-2022, 11:25 AM

I’m confused, he’s definitely got a Scotland cap. How can you play for two countries?

Is this a new thing?

Cheers

J

Edit - did a bit of Googling, sounds like if it’s a friendly you technically aren’t “locked”.

Yeh that was a surprise to me too. Don't really agree with it either. Still, I guess it'll prove to be the right decision if he gets to the World Cup. Opting for Australia has certainly worked out brilliantly for Boyle.

He's here!
24-09-2022, 11:26 AM
Sorry, I thought both his parents were Scottish

Same route as Boyle with one parent Australian-born.

Keith_M
24-09-2022, 01:03 PM
Same route as Boyle with one parent Australian-born.

:aok:

Billy McKirdy
24-09-2022, 01:35 PM
Cumdingo! 😂

🤣🤣🤣

Onceinawhile
24-09-2022, 09:10 PM

Is this a new thing?

Cheers

J

I mean Alfredo di Stefano played for 3 countries, not a particularly new thing at all.

.Louise.
25-09-2022, 04:47 AM
He’s just scored a penalty in their game against NZ

Forza Fred
25-09-2022, 05:42 AM
He’s just scored a penalty in their game against NZ

Sure did.

Not a classic game by any means but Jason came on with about 20 minutes to go and Oz leading 1-0.

He pounced on a goal line clearance and hit the ball from around the 18 yard line…..it would have been a goal if the Kiwi defender had not used his arm to stop it, and nobody was ever going to stop him taking the penalty!

Interviewed after the game he delighted the ‘panel’ who said that the national team was short of characters..and Jason was certainly one of them!

He’s been a media favourite since he arrived, but that doesn’t mean he will be going to the World Cup yet.

The Oz season kicks off in a couple of weeks and he’ll need to impress in the games he has prior to the squad being announced to secure his spot in the squad…….but if anyone can, Jason can!

Bostonhibby
25-09-2022, 07:24 AM
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1573909921153916928?t=Ss3KpiROHfXZ9l9BuTUu5Q&s=08

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

neil7908
25-09-2022, 07:51 AM
Really pleased for him and would be fantastic to see him and Boyle at a World Cup

gbhibby
25-09-2022, 08:00 AM
https://youtu.be/-m5DsUfXTOs
Highlights

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Donegal Hibby
25-09-2022, 10:05 AM
Just watched his post match interview .he's a character .

Tambo
25-09-2022, 10:36 AM
Fair play to the lad moving away from Scotland and trying to get his head down.

A place at the world Cup on offer if he continues and who knows in a couple years he might get a move back to the UK.

A Hi-Bee
25-09-2022, 11:20 AM
Great to see him taking the chance to both improve on the park and in his own way off the park, he will be nothing but a success down under, amazing what you can achieve with a bit if belief and taking the chance away from Scotland. Our lose but the aussie's gain, dont see him coming back this way in a hurry.
I will keep saying the same thing, he is a goal scorer and will always score at any level, as well as being a legend and real character.

Good on yer Jason, hope you achieve your dream, as not many Scots born players get to play at the World Cup nowadays.

Sproule Three
25-09-2022, 11:24 AM
Fair play to the lad moving away from Scotland and trying to get his head down.

A place at the world Cup on offer if he continues and who knows in a couple years he might get a move back to the UK.

As he’s got an Aussie passport he’ll probably get offers to play in an Asia as he doesn’t need work permit. Clubs in Middle East , Japan Korea or China will all be able to pay him big money as Martin Boyle discovered

He's here!
25-09-2022, 11:27 AM
https://youtu.be/-m5DsUfXTOs
Highlights

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Well done Jason. Great to see his career revitalised.

Sir David Gray
25-09-2022, 12:06 PM

Is this a new thing?

Cheers

J

:agree: That's exactly it.

If you qualify to play for more than one nation you're committed to playing for one of them until you play in a competitive fixture.

He's here!
25-09-2022, 02:59 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63025819

I'm Spartacus
25-09-2022, 09:20 PM
Classic Jase:

Hahaha that's a beauty and so Jase!

jacomo
26-09-2022, 10:51 AM
Sounds like he’s got an outside chance of making the World Cup. Good luck to him.

marinello59
26-09-2022, 04:25 PM
Sounds like he’s got an outside chance of making the World Cup. Good luck to him.

I really hope he does. :greengrin

Donegal Hibby
17-10-2022, 10:30 AM
Jason Cummings scores a lovely goal .Article in EEN. It's got his Disallowed overhead kick too.

Forza Fred
17-10-2022, 12:10 PM
Jason Cummings scores a lovely goal .Article in EEN. It's got his Disallowed overhead kick too.

He was offside.

Who says so?
Jason Cmmings in post match interview

Donegal Hibby
17-10-2022, 12:19 PM
He was offside.

Who says so?
Jason Cmmings in post match interview
He did look off to be fair though didn't he do well with both goals even if one was ruled out .

Forza Fred
18-10-2022, 12:01 AM
He did look off to be fair though didn't he do well with both goals even if one was ruled out .

Yep, he’s certainly grabbed his ‘second chance’ at football.

Booked a weekend up the road about 2hrs away next month to see him in action in the flesh.

Donegal Hibby
18-10-2022, 12:28 AM
Yep, he’s certainly grabbed his ‘second chance’ at football.

Booked a weekend up the road about 2hrs away next month to see him in action in the flesh.
Hopefully you see another over head kick goal with this one on side this time for central coast mariners FC :aok:

.Sean.
18-10-2022, 09:10 AM
Hopefully I’d and when he does come back to Scotland it’s to us and not Hearts

Forza Fred
18-10-2022, 09:19 AM
Hopefully I’d and when he does come back to Scotland it’s to us and not Hearts

Yep, but I honestly can’t see him leaving Oz…judging by what he says and how he loves the lifestyle here.

He bought himself a Kombi Van and loves going up and down the coast.

Not sure you will see him surfing off Potobelly Beach…but you never know.

KWJ
18-10-2022, 01:14 PM
Yep, but I honestly can’t see him leaving Oz…judging by what he says and how he loves the lifestyle here.

And what a coast it is. My mind goes blurry thinking back to Port MacQuarie, Mooloolaba, Byron Bay, Rainbow Beach, Fraser Island, Airlie Beach and possibly my favourite area on Earth, Whitsundays.

I saw recently that wee Russ is with Dwight Yorke in the A League now with a new team (new to me), how are they getting on? Seems the perfect fit!

Cocaine&Caviar
18-10-2022, 03:54 PM
And what a coast it is. My mind goes blurry thinking back to Port MacQuarie, Mooloolaba, Byron Bay, Rainbow Beach, Fraser Island, Airlie Beach and possibly my favourite area on Earth, Whitsundays.

I saw recently that wee Russ is with Dwight Yorke in the A League now with a new team (new to me), how are they getting on? Seems the perfect fit!

Dont forget Yamba

Forza Fred
19-10-2022, 07:57 AM

They are doing ok.

Wee Russell was interviewed last week and seems perky enough.

They are in charge of my local team, Macarthur, and although playing to sparse home crowds,, are performing ok.

The weekend I am travelling up the coast to see Jason, actually coincides with the Mariners playing Macarthur, so it looks like selfies may be the order of the day😂

Gorebridge Hibb
19-10-2022, 10:35 AM

Jason won’t be coming back. He absolutely loves Australia and he and his partner have really settled well. Hopefully will get picked for the Socceroos squad for Qatar.

Bridge hibs
23-10-2022, 06:26 AM
CCM 1 Perth 0 and Cumdog with the assist

Forza Fred
23-10-2022, 08:49 AM
CCM 1 Perth 0 and Cumdog with the assist

Final score Perth 2 v Mariners 1

Mariners have lost close to half their side from last season, and will be much closer to the bottom of the league than the top this year.

I think with the limited chances Jason gets, time for him to sufficiently impress might run out for him before the WC.

Bridge hibs
23-10-2022, 08:59 AM
Final score Perth 2 v Mariners 1

Mariners have lost close to half their side from last season, and will be much closer to the bottom of the league than the top this year.

I think with the limited chances Jason gets, time for him to sufficiently impress might run out for him before the WC.Yeah they were poor all over the pitch and other than setting up the goal he was pretty anonymous and appeared quite frustrated, he hardly received any service and mostly tried to feed off scraps. He looked pissed off at the end of the game

I think Australia has been good for him but he needs to be at a team where he would get more service

Forza Fred
25-10-2022, 03:14 AM
Yeah they were poor all over the pitch and other than setting up the goal he was pretty anonymous and appeared quite frustrated, he hardly received any service and mostly tried to feed off scraps. He looked pissed off at the end of the game

I think Australia has been good for him but he needs to be at a team where he would get more service

He just signed an extension with the Mariners…for 2 years I think, and said he was so happy there he would have signed for 10.

I agree btw, and I’m pretty sure one of the big city clubs would have snapped him up if he hadn’t signed on again with the Mariners.

Jamie McLaren ends up top scorer for two reasons…one is obviously because of his ability…the other is because his club have such a strong squad.

Dunno how Jamie would go at the Mariners, but pretty sure Jason would score a barrow load at City.

Bridge hibs
25-10-2022, 05:18 AM
He just signed an extension with the Mariners…for 2 years I think, and said he was so happy there he would have signed for 10.

I agree btw, and I’m pretty sure one of the big city clubs would have snapped him up if he hadn’t signed on again with the Mariners.

Jamie McLaren ends up top scorer for two reasons…one is obviously because of his ability…the other is because his club have such a strong squad.

Dunno how Jamie would go at the Mariners, but pretty sure Jason would score a barrow load at City.Yep, I agree with all that Fred, I havent seen McLaren this season yet but I know he is already off the mark, he is very much a penalty box striker and always seems to be in and around the goals. CCM supplied virtually zero for Cummings and I agree McLaren would probably struggle with next to zero service. Would have been good to have seen Cummings receive the service he does per game

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-10-2022, 05:37 AM
They are doing ok.

Wee Russell was interviewed last week and seems perky enough.

They are in charge of my local team, Macarthur, and although playing to sparse home crowds,, are performing ok.

The weekend I am travelling up the coast to see Jason, actually coincides with the Mariners playing Macarthur, so it looks like selfies may be the order of the day😂

Ask Russell if I can get my 50 goals against Hearts DVD back! 😀🤔😀

Donegal Hibby
27-10-2022, 10:36 AM
Fair dues to Aussie football team for having there say Qatar over human rights.
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/two-hearts-players-and-former-celtic-and-hibs-men-involved-in-historic-world-cup-human-rights-video-3895279

Betty Boop
27-10-2022, 01:01 PM
Fair dues to Aussie football team for having there say Qatar over human rights.
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/two-hear
ts-players-and-former-celtic-and-hibs-men-involved-in-historic-world-cup-human-rights-video-3895279 (https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/two-hearts-players-and-former-celtic-and-hibs-men-involved-in-historic-world-cup-human-rights-video-3895279)
They should be looking at their own countries' human rights record . The treatment of the indigenous population is a disgrace.

HoboHarry
27-10-2022, 02:53 PM
They should be looking at their own countries' human rights record . The treatment of the indigenous population is a disgrace.
:agree: Exactly right.

Forza Fred
29-10-2022, 02:58 AM

Indeed, in some ways it is.

Seems Though that when it comes to ‘Human Rights’ Australia is placed 6 places higher than the UK in 2022 in what is known as the ‘Liberty Index’, which seeks to measure such things.

I didn’t know that.

Winston Ingram
29-10-2022, 07:52 AM
A goal and 2 assists for Cummings this morning so far. Also had another crackin finish disallowed

Winston Ingram
29-10-2022, 08:00 AM
A goal and 2 assists for Cummings this morning so far. Also had another crackin finish disallowed

…make that 3 assists

Forza Fred
29-10-2022, 08:43 AM
One goal
3 assists
2 goals disallowed.

Mariners losing 2-0 at half time, but a red card in the second half changed things and Mariners fought back to win 4-2.

Despite his efforts he didn’t get MOM!

Hope Arnie was taking careful note!

And….first time I’ve heard a pro in his after match interview wish the interviewer Happy Halloween!

Scotty Leither
29-10-2022, 09:08 AM
Exactly the type of player we need. Worth a goal of a start in the Derby too.

Hibees1973
29-10-2022, 09:15 AM
Exactly the type of player we need. Worth a goal of a start in the Derby too.

Don't worry. We have the likes of Youan, McKirdy, Bojang & Jair.....they will score a barrowload of goals :wink:

Iain G
29-10-2022, 10:01 AM
Don't worry. We have the likes of Youan, McKirdy, Bojang & Jair.....they will score a barrowload of goals :wink:

Youan and McKirdy will get more top flight goals than Cummings for Hibs

MWHIBBIES
29-10-2022, 12:24 PM
Youan and McKirdy will get more top flight goals than Cummings for Hibs

Bit of a daft thing to say though. Jason scored plenty of goals against top flight sides for us. He was brilliant for us in big games.

Iain G
29-10-2022, 01:03 PM
Bit of a daft thing to say though. Jason scored plenty of goals against top flight sides for us. He was brilliant for us in big games.

I don't think it's daft at all! Good championship/A league level striker

MagicSwirlingShip
29-10-2022, 11:26 PM
Cummings would score plenty in this current Hibs team.

Donegal Hibby
30-10-2022, 10:14 AM
Seems to be going well for him out in Australia , Hope he makes the world cup squad ,Don't think he done his chances any harm on Saturday .

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/jason-cummings-pre-world-cup-25390033