PDA

View Full Version : Ball boy

angus hibby
19-09-2022, 11:51 AM
Watching the goals from Saturday and noticed that the build up to our 2nd goal was actually started by a ball boy in front of the West Stand! With the multi ball system in place, he threw the ball he had quickly to Cabraja so he could take the throw in quickly. Lee Johnson is seen applauding the quick thinking ball boy!

Well played young man. Hope they're briefed to slow the game down at appropriate times too!

SChibs
19-09-2022, 11:52 AM
Does this count as a goal from a throw in? Good to see if so

Libby Hibby
19-09-2022, 12:44 PM
The ball boys have been well drilled this year and know when to speed up play and slow it down. I’m sure we are using the Academy boys as ball boys this season.

I’m sure a Ball Boy ‘set up’ our equaliser v Hertz this season too.

Scouse Hibee
19-09-2022, 01:03 PM
Watching the goals from Saturday and noticed that the build up to our 2nd goal was actually started by a ball boy in front of the West Stand! With the multi ball system in place, he threw the ball he had quickly to Cabraja so he could take the throw in quickly. Lee Johnson is seen applauding the quick thinking ball boy!

Well played young man. Hope they're briefed to slow the game down at appropriate times too!

The BBC gave him the assist.

Mick O'Rourke
19-09-2022, 01:21 PM

He'll be chapping Lee's door for a match bonus !

ACLeith
19-09-2022, 02:00 PM

Michael Stewart will be complaining next time that they have no identity !

Donegal Hibby
19-09-2022, 02:05 PM
Or we have to many ball boys:greengrin

hibees 7062
19-09-2022, 02:20 PM
Potter had his ball boys doing the same

Hibiza
19-09-2022, 02:26 PM

Or a " different narrative ".

Donegal Hibby
19-09-2022, 02:44 PM
Seem to remember Celtics ball boys were really quick giving the ball back to their team in a game too.

Smartie
19-09-2022, 03:22 PM

It’s great that Lee Johnson acknowledged the contribution.

Hibs4185
19-09-2022, 04:55 PM
It used to always annoy me for years when we were attacking teams and it took an age to get a ball back.

It’s so simple and yet so effective. Glad LJ has addressed it!

basehibby
19-09-2022, 05:00 PM

It was very noticeable that our players were getting the ball very quickly while we were chasing the win - enabling them to take quick throw ins. It was also noticeable that once we were ahead ballboy efficiency dropped back to what I would call "normal pace".

Johnson had said he was working on this and glad to see it having an effect.

Eyrie
19-09-2022, 06:12 PM
It's made a massive difference to our ball retention from throw ins because the ball boy is giving the ball to the nearest Hibs player who immediately looks to throw it to a team mate before the opposition can get set.

jaf
19-09-2022, 07:12 PM
Those ball boys in the video are definitely academy players and I believe LJ himself is doing a coaching session with the boys for the role before they do it.

speedy_gonzales
09-10-2022, 07:46 PM
Did anyone else clock Chris Cadden and Ryan Porteous shouting at the ball boys in the East to "lose" their spare ball towards the end of the game?
Unsure whether it was Lee Johnson's instruction or whether it was the players themselves, but the ball boys at our end placed their balls behind the electronic advertising hoardings.
It's wee things like that that can make a difference at 1-0 between a win and a draw

offshorehibby
09-10-2022, 08:10 PM
Did anyone else clock Chris Cadden and Ryan Porteous shouting at the ball boys in the East to "lose" their spare ball towards the end of the game?
Unsure whether it was Lee Johnson's instruction or whether it was the players themselves, but the ball boys at our end placed their balls behind the electronic advertising hoardings.
It's wee things like that that can make a difference at 1-0 between a win and a draw

Ryan shouted at East stand ball boy 10, 15 minuets to go, ball boy wasn't understanding so i saw Cadden and Ryan explaining to the BB shortly after, next thing the ball gets punted over the hording.

I'm Spartacus
10-10-2022, 07:16 AM
Good spot, but easily the most annoying phrase of the year so far is 'playing the multi ball system', the tv pundits that cream over Celtic has been annoying me and they keep repeating that term.

Ball boys following the match is now 'multi ball system', there will be a 12 week training course at £999 + VAT, folk on LinkedIn 'Multi ball certified'.

I'm Spartacus
10-10-2022, 07:17 AM
Those ball boys in the video are definitely academy players and I believe LJ himself is doing a coaching session with the boys for the role before they do it.

'Coaching ball boys'. I'm too old for football now.

SChibs
10-10-2022, 08:35 AM

Theres been instances where the actions of quick thinking ball boys have led to a goal. If we can manipulate the game to our advantage through the laddies I'm all for it.

I'm Spartacus
10-10-2022, 08:54 AM
Theres been instances where the actions of quick thinking ball boys have led to a goal. If we can manipulate the game to our advantage through the laddies I'm all for it.

100%.

I just cannot stand how Celtic do it and then it's turned into something, a system, it's branded, it's coached, it's sold.

Ange Postecoglou's multi ball system: "Here wee man, if it's our throw the ball you are sitting on gets launched like a rocket, if it's their throw take your time tying your shoelaces."

green day
10-10-2022, 09:40 AM
100%.

I just cannot stand how Celtic do it and then it's turned into something, a system, it's branded, it's coached, it's sold.

Ange Postecoglou's multi ball system: "Here wee man, if it's our throw the ball you are sitting on gets launched like a rocket, if it's their throw take your time tying your shoelaces."

Every team have "multi balls" now. The difference is the number of ball boys, and if they have been told to do specific things by the management.

As you say, none of its rocket science, and it certainly wasnt invented by Celtic.

Hibernian Verse
10-10-2022, 11:19 AM
You know it's going well when the forum is quiet and the only real gripe is the introduction of ball boy coaching :greengrin

Carheenlea
10-10-2022, 11:33 AM
I don’t really like this multi ball system and feel it’s a bit unfair.

You can have defenders making a great interception or tackle to know ball out for throw then find themselves completely out of position with a quick throw. Thats fine if the ball has luckily ended up by the opposing player or not run too far and he can take a quick throw, but being able to do so courtesy of a team of ball boys schooled in tactics with secondary footballs feels a bit like an outside influence to me.

I think it needs looked at because it’s now a sort of extension of a simple 11 v 11 on the pitch.

FastEddieFelson
10-10-2022, 11:40 AM

of all the things wrong with modern football... being a bit clever about instructions given to ball boys has pushed you over the edge?

snedzuk
10-10-2022, 12:25 PM
Every team have "multi balls" now. The difference is the number of ball boys, and if they have been told to do specific things by the management.

As you say, none of its rocket science, and it certainly wasnt invented by Celtic.

Ross County didnt - we booted it out of the ground so often I thought they were going to have to go to Tesco and buy some more.

green day
10-10-2022, 12:26 PM

You can have defenders making a great interception or tackle to know ball out for throw then find themselves completely out of position with a quick throw. Thats fine if the ball has luckily ended up by the opposing player or not run too far and he can take a quick throw, but being able to do so courtesy of a team of ball boys schooled in tactics with secondary footballs feels a bit like an outside influence to me.

I think it needs looked at because it’s now a sort of extension of a simple 11 v 11 on the pitch.

The other end of the scale would be having one ball in play and allowing the more industrial teams to skelp the ball completely out of the ground and waste time til a new ball was "found" toward the end of the match.

This did actually happen - I know a guy who played semi pro in the 70s, and his phrase was "out the park for medals" if you were winning in the last 10 mins.

I prefer our current method.

Irish_Steve
10-10-2022, 01:52 PM
We had a multi ball system in the 1990’s when I used to sit in the family enclosure which was in the bottom corner towards the North Stand. We were right on the front row and on more than one occasion, if the opposition got a throw and the person beside me caught the ball, he would launch it down towards the corner flag. I reckon he was in his 30’s at least.

I still see him around the ground and it makes me chuckle. He would also shout to Robbo that he had dropped his medals and then Robbo would score and come over to celebrate in front of him.

evy
10-10-2022, 02:38 PM

I'm pretty sure Everton were one of the first teams (mid 00s maybe) to do and there was a clip doing the rounds where a club official was going round gathering the spare balls as they were winning late on against, I think, Man U.

1van Sprou7e
10-10-2022, 02:48 PM

Calm down mate

Wilson
10-10-2022, 03:22 PM

Wait until they start coaching fans on their way in!

Edinburgh Green
10-10-2022, 03:30 PM

Surely you look to take all advantages you can when you're the home team, such as cramped basic away changing rooms, watering certain areas of the pitch, changing pitch dimensions etc

Hibbyradge
10-10-2022, 04:35 PM
Surely you look to take all advantages you can when you're the home team, such as cramped basic away changing rooms, watering certain areas of the pitch, changing pitch dimensions etc

No hot water? That sort of classless thing?

1van Sprou7e
10-10-2022, 06:45 PM

As long as it's legal we should be taking advantage of it, eventually it will probably be more regulated but it's just another extension of the home advantage

LustForLeith
10-10-2022, 08:22 PM
Sit down the front of the West. Think it was the Aberdeen game when the instructions were for the ball boys not to rush the ball back when it was an Aberdeen throw in

basehibby
10-10-2022, 08:34 PM

Fair enough but while it's considered legal I'm glad we are taking full advantage.

Heedersnvolleys
10-10-2022, 08:48 PM

They are not

Edinburgh Green
11-10-2022, 08:14 AM
No hot water? That sort of classless thing?

eh? No I gave a couple examples in my post.

dangermouse
11-10-2022, 08:42 AM
eh? No I gave a couple examples in my post.

Woosh! :greengrin

I'm Spartacus
11-10-2022, 08:50 AM
Wait until they start coaching fans on their way in!

"On Day 2 we will cover a manoeuvre we call the Chest Pass, this is a unique throw and only trained here at the Ball Person Academy UK, and due to licensing laws, cannot be used outside of our home stadium anywhere in the UK".

HIBS NUTS
11-10-2022, 09:00 AM

I actually posted about the ball boys being instructed to be quicker, some time after the morton time wasting game, i got no interest, if teams are deliberately wasting time, against the home team, why not get the ball moving quicker back onto the pitch, makes perfect sense.👍🏻